Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, November 12, 2018

OTP 2018 Nov 12 - Why Voting Is Like Baseball (Hint: Both Matter)

Yes, political elections are never decided by one vote. But aspiring politicians look at the results of voting returns. If somebody is elected by a gazillion votes, politicians pay attention to this. Same thing if somebody loses but does better than expected.

Just as baseball teams copy what other teams have done successfully, politicians copy what other politicians have done.

Aaron Gleeman once said the difference between a 75-win team and an 80-win team is huge for free agents, and he was right, because free agents want A) money and B) the chance to win. They’re competitive athletes, they want to win, and politicians are no different.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: November 12, 2018 at 07:54 AM | 499 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 5 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›
   1. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 13, 2018 at 11:52 AM (#5786550)
Be sure to send your thoughts and prayers

GOP lawmaker 'disgusted' by Trump for mocking House reps

GOP Illinois Rep. Adam Kinzinger said Tuesday he was "very disgusted" by President Donald Trump for mocking House Republicans who did not back him enough during their midterm election campaigns.

"A little more grace would have been a lot better, I was very disgusted when I heard that," Kinzinger said in an interview with CNN's John Berman on "New Day." "Let's go forward and look at how we're gonna do better in 2020."

That's a shame.

Gee, you hitch your wagon to a shitbag and then you are surprised when he acts like a shitbag. How did someone this stupid graduate high school?
   2. Ray (CTL) Posted: November 13, 2018 at 11:55 AM (#5786553)
As I've said I don't want the Mueller investigation shut down but here Turley gives one "unlikely" (quite) way it could be. Essentially the unconfirmed Mueller is now reporting to an unconfirmed Whitaker:

The Prestige: How Trump Could Pull Off The Ultimate Trick in Shutting Down The Mueller Investigation

In other words, by appointing Whitaker, Trump has undermined the position of his own Justice Department in court in the aforementioned Miller case without directly firing Mueller. If Whitaker is left in place, and Trump has said there is “no rush” to fill the post permanently, the court could conclude that Mueller is now exercising powers reserved to confirmed “principal officers.” He could be barred from exercising those powers until an attorney general is nominated and confirmed.

Making this situation all the more intriguing would be if Trump then appoints someone whom the Democrats would likely oppose, such as former New Jersey governor Chris Christie. Yet, if the Democrats rejected such a nominee, they themselves would be the reason for keeping the Mueller investigation enjoined, rather than any direct executive action taken by Trump. That would be the ultimate “prestige” to this trick.

All of this depends, of course, on the court’s interpretation of the appointments clause, which remains unresolved, as well as a delay in the confirmation of a permanent attorney general. Nevertheless, Whitaker’s appointment could have significantly strengthened the challenge to Mueller. Indeed, this sequence of events could magnify the concern of judges about allowing special counsels to hold unconfirmed positions. What may have been seen as mere conjecture about reporting to another unconfirmed official is now the reality at the Justice Department.

Whitaker could remove this threat to the position of his own department by simply recusing himself and leaving the supervision of Mueller to Rosenstein. Yet, given Trump’s long fury over the recusal by Sessions, that likely would not go over well. Or Whitaker could presumably wait for a decision and recuse himself if the court considers his unconfirmed status to be a barrier to the completion of the Mueller investigation.

Also, from Business Insider:

"Meanwhile, acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker plans to consult with Department of Justice ethics officials about whether he should recuse himself from the investigation into the Trump campaign's ties to Russia, a department representative said Monday."

--

See you folks tonight.
   3. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: November 13, 2018 at 11:57 AM (#5786555)
So now the best case scenario is that Dan got zapped along with the last thread. Probably too much to hope for.
   4. Traderdave Posted: November 13, 2018 at 11:58 AM (#5786557)
How did someone this stupid graduate high school?

High school? Hell, we have people on this board that graduated LAW school who are dumber than Tommy Lasorda's dumbest dog.
   5. Zonk is One Individual Posted: November 13, 2018 at 12:03 PM (#5786560)
Nice longer piece on Andrew Johnson - and especially, how truly awful he was and why he really shouldn't have been President to begin with. The book sounds interesting - so I may give it a read.

In any case, as I've said several times - I think Johnson should have been impeached. He was unfit, unsound, and did break plenty of laws. He really never got the discredit he deserved as someone worthy of consideration as the worst President in history.

Ultimately, the problems that would have given me pause to vote yes on impeachment in 1868 just don't exist today. Back then, we had no mechanism to replace an elevated Vice-President... and, the order of succession was different - meaning, one of the leading (if not THE leading) opponents of Johnson in the Senate would have been elevated to the Presidency... which is certainly problematic, even if the President wholly deserves removal.

Still, worth the read for the background.
   6. tshipman Posted: November 13, 2018 at 12:05 PM (#5786563)
So now the best case scenario is that Dan got zapped along with the last thread. Probably too much to hope for.

Dan probably realized that openly threatening someone was a bad look, panicked, and asked Jim to delete the thread.

He's deleted threads on his own when he behaved badly, so not really a surprise.
   7. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: November 13, 2018 at 12:06 PM (#5786564)

High school? Hell, we have people on this board that graduated LAW school who are dumber than Tommy Lasorda's dumbest dog.
Well, fake law school.
   8. BrianBrianson Posted: November 13, 2018 at 12:08 PM (#5786568)
In fairness, I don't know who Mike Francesco is.
   9. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: November 13, 2018 at 12:09 PM (#5786570)
Dan probably realized that openly threatening someone was a bad look, panicked, and asked Jim to delete the thread.

What's the legal interpretation of a threat from someone who is entirely incapable of executing it? Like when Stephen Hawking said he was going to kick Moby's ass?
   10. McCoy Posted: November 13, 2018 at 12:10 PM (#5786571)
Maryland is attempting an injunction on Whitaker so I'm guessing the whole AG thing will be resolved well before someone could use the legitimacy of the AG to undermine whatever comes out of the Mueller report. Trump is certainly not playing 20D Chess with this pick.
   11. Zonk is One Individual Posted: November 13, 2018 at 12:12 PM (#5786573)

Sigh.

It wasn't a threat - some people believe other people like sexual activity with railroad spikes.

I mean, not me. And I don't know anyone who does. But as an open-minded SJW, I keep an open mind that there might well exist some people who believe this of other people. Takes all kinds...
   12. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: November 13, 2018 at 12:12 PM (#5786574)
How stupid do you have to be to think Donald Trump is executing complex and arcane legal machinations to extricate himself from an investigation into crimes of which he is entirely innocent?
   13. McCoy Posted: November 13, 2018 at 12:15 PM (#5786577)
Dogbert would probably know the answer to that as well as a way of exploiting it.
   14. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 13, 2018 at 12:15 PM (#5786579)
What's the legal interpretation of a threat from someone who is entirely incapable of executing it?

About a year ago, my shitbag neighbor threatened my and my other neighbor ( a Federal Customs and Border Protection agent BTW) to blow our heads off with the gun in his car. The Fed called 911, the local cops showed up, searched the car, saw there was no gun, and told us there was nothing they could do because it was an empty threat. While I don't know for sure, I'm pretty sure that was bullshit, and the cop just didn't want to do his job.
   15. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: November 13, 2018 at 12:24 PM (#5786584)

He's deleted threads on his own when he behaved badly, so not really a surprise.

Of course Jim could've just deleted the offending comments and given Dan a warning.
   16. JL72 Posted: November 13, 2018 at 12:24 PM (#5786585)
How stupid do you have to be to think Donald Trump is executing complex and arcane legal machinations to extricate himself from an investigation into crimes of which he is entirely innocent?

Well, Turley's analysis is pretty dumb. The GOP controls the Senate. So they can confirm anyone they want to, regardless of objections from the Dems.
   17. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: November 13, 2018 at 12:25 PM (#5786586)
I was going to say (before work interfered) that I thought the appearance of the non-labeled OTP thread earlier today, when combined with speculation that the thread Bitter Mouse submitted had been zapped, reminded me uneasily of when Syzmborski went off the rails as a mod a few years ago & had to have those privileges taken away from him. (That's quite a feat, considering that his odious politics seem to line up with Furtado's in many respects.)

If ever there was a nutjob who needed to keep his nose in his spreadsheets & not emerge from mom's basement to interact with actual human beings, it's him.
   18. Sebastian Posted: November 13, 2018 at 12:29 PM (#5786590)
#7 is almost adorable.
   19. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 13, 2018 at 12:29 PM (#5786592)
So, looking at CNN's House Election results map, I'm having a hard time figuring out their criteria for calling races or not calling them. In CA-49, the Democrat is up by nearly 10 points with 100% reporting and it's not called yet while there are a whole bunch of other races in CA that are a lot closer and are called. In CA-25, the D is up by 3.4 points and that race is called. CA-21, the R is up by 2.4 points and that race is called.
   20. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: November 13, 2018 at 12:29 PM (#5786593)
Zonk is correct. It wasn't a threat, it was a suggestion as to what McCoy could choose to do in his free time.

Which isn't to say it was appropriate for a family website.
   21. Zonk is One Individual Posted: November 13, 2018 at 12:30 PM (#5786594)

Well, Turley's analysis is pretty dumb. The GOP controls the Senate. So they can confirm anyone they want to, regardless of objections from the Dems.

Honestly, all of these various double super backflip salon exercises remind me of playing Hearts of Iron as one of the minor Axis countries... I mean, sure - I got familiar enough with the game mechanics and little exploits so that I could create an entirely Bulgarian-controlled Balkan Europe... and if I twisted enough/ignored enough "Yeah, but Bulgaria would never have been able to get the Germans to DoW on the Soviets before Danzig"... sure, I could even carve out some of western Russia for myself.

Fun for a lark... but actually doesn't change the fact that it's... you know... stupid and not possible in reality.
   22. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: November 13, 2018 at 12:36 PM (#5786598)
CNN sues fat, bald, premature ejaculating crybaby

"CNN filed a lawsuit against the Trump Administration this morning in DC District Court," the statement read. "It demands the return of the White House credentials of CNN's Chief White House correspondent, Jim Acosta. The wrongful revocation of these credentials violates CNN and Acosta's First Amendment rights of freedom of the press, and their Fifth Amendment rights to due process. We have asked this court for an immediate restraining order requiring the pass be returned to Jim, and will seek permanent relief as part of this process."

The White House Correspondents' Association said it "strongly supports CNN's goal of seeing their correspondent regain a US Secret Service security credential that the White House should not have taken away in the first place."

But we did get to see the White House send out fake video to defend their stupidity, so we got that much out of it.
   23. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: November 13, 2018 at 12:39 PM (#5786599)
@UrbanAchievr:
replacing John Kelly presents Trump with a dilemma: he can't ask John Kelly to fire himself
   24. Zonk is One Individual Posted: November 13, 2018 at 12:40 PM (#5786601)
Zonk is correct. It wasn't a threat, it was a suggestion as to what McCoy could choose to do in his free time.

Which isn't to say it was appropriate for a family website.

Some families are more interesting than others...
   25. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: November 13, 2018 at 12:41 PM (#5786602)
That's pretty bad Internet form going off the rails than self moderating your own idiocy.
   26. Laser Man Posted: November 13, 2018 at 12:44 PM (#5786604)
So, looking at CNN's House Election results map, I'm having a hard time figuring out their criteria for calling races or not calling them. In CA-49, the Democrat is up by nearly 10 points with 100% reporting and it's not called yet while there are a whole bunch of other races in CA that are a lot closer and are called. In CA-25, the D is up by 3.4 points and that race is called. CA-21, the R is up by 2.4 points and that race is called.
It has to do with the outstanding ballots that need to be counted. In Orange County (parts of CA-39, 45, 48, 49), there were 400,000 ballots by mail, which will be counted if they were postmarked by Tuesday the 6th and delivered by Friday the 9th. 100% of the in-person results have been counted, but less than half of the mail-in ballots have been counted as of today. There are still enough outstanding votes to theoretically swing a few districts.
   27. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: November 13, 2018 at 12:44 PM (#5786605)
That's pretty bad Internet form going off the rails than self moderating your own idiocy.

Of course, as Adams says we may be having a failure of imagination here. Rather than Dan going insane again, it could have been...midichlorians?
   28. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: November 13, 2018 at 12:46 PM (#5786606)
Lazy fat idiot: "Blame the Secret Service."

Still fighting political flaps that arose during his weekend in France, President Donald Trump said Tuesday that the Secret Service nixed a visit to a cemetery in the rain because the motorcade would have shut down Paris.

"When the helicopter couldn’t fly to the first cemetery in France because of almost zero visibility, I suggested driving," Trump tweeted. "Secret Service said NO, too far from airport & big Paris shutdown."

...Tommy Vietor, a spokesman for the National Security Council for President Barack Obama, called Trump's second-guessing of the Secret Service "a lie."

The Secret Service "advises on security but the President makes the final call," Vietor said on Twitter. "He chose to skip the memorial."

You ever work with someone like this? Screws everything up and it's always somebody else's fault?
   29. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: November 13, 2018 at 12:47 PM (#5786607)

It definitely wasn't a threat, just some run-of-the-mill Internet vitriol.
   30. PreservedFish Posted: November 13, 2018 at 12:52 PM (#5786609)
You ever work with someone like this? Screws everything up and it's always somebody else's fault?

Yes. Old boss. He could also lie without compunction. Total narcissist.

In my first month or so of employ I saw this fellow tell bald-faced lies to a CNN reporter, kind of shocked me. Later he announced some ambitious company news that almost everyone in the room knew was impossible - why? What's the purpose of such a lie? But he's still running the company, fat salary, good press, living the good life, even as the business limps pathetically. Can only imagine what he would tell the investors.
   31. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: November 13, 2018 at 12:52 PM (#5786611)
Getting back to Misirlou and Ray, in the Thread Which Is No More, the suggestion that Trump got pwned by NK was met with Ray's typical response, which was that pretty much every poster here is so addled by TDS they can't think straight, and need to prove their sanity by praising Trump in some fashion. Which several people actually did, at varying levels of seriousness (judicial appointments, de-regulation, combover skills, appointment of Mattis, not completely screwing up the economy, not nuking Belgium, probably some others). During the slew of responses Ray also snarked on libtards for being hypocritical about conceding political races, and failed to respond to repeated requests for clarification.
BTW, I'm done answering any of Ray's questions. He doesn't ask them in good faith, and he doesn't respond to the answers

? I'm not sure what I was supposed to respond to. I asked what people saw good about Trump and I (mostly) got good answers in return. The reason for the exercise was to see the responses, not call people names once they gave them.
Setting aside the pomposity inherent in giving the board an "exercise", the alleged purpose was to vet whether or not Ray found posters (individually, or as a body) worthy of critiquing Trump *on any topic*. This has been a continuing theme of Ray's, which is that posters here don't just disagree with him politically but are unhinged, insane, and/or mentally unstable for doing so. Meanwhile, the suggestion about Trump getting pwned by NK goes uncommented. Hence Misirlou's suggestion that other posters join him (Misirlou) in no longer playing Ray's games.

It would be legitimately interesting to have an actual discussion on many of Ray's perspective on things, but not when he retreats to the "you're all crazy if you don't see it my way" defense, and/or the Clapper strategy of pretending not to see rational questions posed directly to him.

By the way, I'd still be interested in hearing Clapper's take on Sanders' accusations against Acosta and the use of a doctored video.

32. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 13, 2018 at 12:53 PM (#5786613)
reminded me uneasily of when Syzmborski went off the rails as a mod a few years ago & had to have those privileges taken away from him.

I still have a scar from that episode. I had that thread bookmarked, and when Dan zapped it, it left behind ":" for the title of the thread, and the date and time of the last post. It cannot be removed.
   33. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: November 13, 2018 at 12:54 PM (#5786614)
Anybody want to talk about the weather?

Another sunny day here in Seattle. Jet stream is all ###### up over the N. Hemisphere right now, associated with the "artic blocking" phenomenon we're seeing more and more. Artic blast associated with this hitting the central US and NE now. Meanwhile here in the PNW the jet stream remains our friend as we get what might be a record 11th at least partly sunny day here on the 13th of November. Usually November is one of our most brutal months for any sort of sun with 80% or more days mostly cloudy.
   34. Jeff R. Posted: November 13, 2018 at 12:56 PM (#5786616)
Other than the obvious reason for the current situation, is there ever any legitimate reason for not promoting the Deputy Attorney General to the vacated AG spot? If your #2 guy isn't ready to replace the #1 guy, uh, why is he there?
   35. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: November 13, 2018 at 12:58 PM (#5786619)
What's the legal interpretation of a threat from someone who is entirely incapable of executing it?

About a year ago, my shitbag neighbor threatened my and my other neighbor ( a Federal Customs and Border Protection agent BTW) to blow our heads off with the gun in his car. The Fed called 911, the local cops showed up, searched the car, saw there was no gun, and told us there was nothing they could do because it was an empty threat. While I don't know for sure, I'm pretty sure that was bullshit, and the cop just didn't want to do his job.
You are correct. (Though I'm surprised that if your neighbor was an LEO himself, that they wouldn't act out of courtesy.) It is correct that something is not a "true threat" -- that's the legal term for a constitutionally unprotected, prosecutable crime -- if there's no real chance of it happening, or if it's conditional, but "I'm going to shoot you" would certainly qualify. Threats generally have to be unconditional statements of intent. Wishing bad things to happen to someone is not a threat (for which Sam is eternally grateful.) Nor is merely making threatening-sounding words in the abstract. In a case called Watts, the defendant said that if the government ever made him carry a gun (this was during Vietnam) the first person he would get in his sights would be LBJ. He was prosecuted, but the Supreme Court said that it wasn't a criminal threat. (As opposed to an unconditional statement like, "I am going to shoot LBJ.") There's also an issue of whether the person must have intended it to be a threat, or whether mere recklessness as to whether it could be construed as a threat is enough, but the Supreme Court has said that mere negligence about whether others would interpret it as a threat is not enough.
   36. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: November 13, 2018 at 12:59 PM (#5786620)
I still have a scar from that episode. I had that thread bookmarked, and when Dan zapped it, it left behind ":" for the title of the thread, and the date and time of the last post. It cannot be removed.
#MeToo!
   37. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:02 PM (#5786621)

I'm having a hard time figuring out their criteria for calling races or not calling them. In CA-49, the Democrat is up by nearly 10 points with 100% reporting
When you see a stat about the % reporting, it refers to the percentage of precincts reporting, not the percent of votes counted. So mail/absentee votes may not have been counted at all.

EDIT: Beverage to Laser Man.
   38. Zonk is One Individual Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:04 PM (#5786622)
This is just embarrassing.

The president has also decided to remove Mira Ricardel, the top deputy for national security adviser John Bolton, officials said. A National Security Council spokeswoman declined to comment.

The president became involved in that decision at the urging of first lady Melania Trump, whose staff battled with Ms. Ricardel during the first lady’s trip to Africa last month over seating on the plane and requests to use National Security Council resources, according to people familiar with the matter.

The first lady’s team told the president that they suspect Ms. Ricardel is behind some negative stories about Ms. Trump and her staff.

Ms. Ricardel also repeatedly clashed with Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and his Pentagon team over staffing decisions and policy differences, according to people familiar with the feud. That discord has created a chill in relations between Ms. Ricardel and Defense Department officials wary of her intentions, these people say.

Ms. Ricardel has served as a vital ally for Mr. Bolton as he settled into his West Wing role after taking the national security job in April. Mr. Bolton lost another loyalist last month when his longtime friend, Fred Fleitz, stepped down after serving just six months as chief of staff and executive secretary for the National Security Council.

But here's the thing... knowing Bolton?

I'm pretty happy to see a Bolton ally get whacked.

But to see even a Bolton ally get whacked because Madam Trophy Wife was displeased with the travel accommodations and NSC input on them?

Good lord, man.

Why do some people bother to defend this joke of a travesty of a ridiculous exercise in reality TV?

We are literally at the point of breathing a sigh of relief because the worst "thinkers" in this administration lose their jobs because MTW is pissy about her plane seat.

39. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:06 PM (#5786623)
and the date and time of the last post.

Actually, I just noticed that it gives the date and time of the last time I refreshed the page.
   40. JL72 Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:13 PM (#5786625)
But to see even a Bolton ally get whacked because Madam Trophy Wife was displeased with the travel accommodations and NSC input on them?

The Donald-Melania relationship is ... interesting. They don't show any real affection toward each other and I don't get the sense that the like each other. Her silence during the Stormy Daniels affair was striking. But yet she has some pull within the White House, as this story demonstrates.
   41. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:14 PM (#5786626)
Why do some people bother to defend this joke of a travesty of a ridiculous exercise in reality TV?
Judicial Appointments!
   42. Traderdave Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:15 PM (#5786627)
I'd have thought a stable genius, who happens to be not only the Most Powerful Man in the World as well as head of the executive branch, could/would just tell the Secret Service to "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" and go the memorial to the veterans he praises literally every day on Twitter.

But I guess I was wrong.
   43. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:20 PM (#5786630)
You are correct.

Thanks. This guy (aided and abetted by his mother) has been a shitbag since I moved here 23 years ago (when he was 15). he's now in his late 30's, still lives with his mother, and is generally a menace. The cops have been to their place dozens of times over the years, and no one ever gets arrested. Well, he did once, for violating a restraining order his ex-girlfriend had on him. But aside from that, nothing ever gets done, which just embolden's their shitty behavior* as they believe they are untouchable.

as an example, the shitbag drives his Camaro at 60-70 MPH down our residential street constantly. He hasn't killed anyone yet, as far as I know, but it's incredibly, incredibly reckless and just an overall really shitty thing to do. I find myself hoping he wraps himself around a tree, which I know I shouldn't do. but better he kill himself than some hapless pedestrian.
   44. Lassus Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:21 PM (#5786632)
Out of curiosity, because I missed the whole thing, does anyone remember what McCoy said to raise Dan's ire to a level of anal ferroequinology?
   45. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:22 PM (#5786633)
Laura Ingraham telling Michelle Obama to get over "race" is the most unintentionally hilarious thing I've read today. As if a black women gets to just forget she's black. Haha, good one Laura.
   46. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:23 PM (#5786634)
I'd have thought a stable genius, who happens to be not only the Most Powerful Man in the World as well as head of the executive branch, could/would just tell the Secret Service to "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" and go the memorial to the veterans he praises literally every day on Twitter.

And you'd be correct. The Secret Service can't give the President orders. At least WRT where he can and cannot go.
   47. tshipman Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:24 PM (#5786635)
Out of curiosity, because I missed the whole thing, does anyone remember what McCoy said to raise Dan's ire to a level of anal ferroequinology?

He made a joke parodying Ray's comment directed at him earlier, and changed the subject to Dan.
   48. Zonk is One Individual Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:26 PM (#5786636)

Something like "I do not think you are correct about Romney winning 18-19-20 yos in 2012 because all available data indicates Obama won the 18-24 group by 2-1".

So, you can see why it called for sexual activity with iron building materials.

There was blame on both sides.
   49. Srul Itza Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:26 PM (#5786637)
We are literally at the point of breathing a sigh of relief because the worst "thinkers" in this administration lose their jobs because MTW is pissy about her plane seat.

Provided you accept a "talking points memo" story based on anonymous sources "familiar" with the matter.

Those people "familiar" clearly had an axe to grind against her, so I would take it all with a grain of salt. All of these leaks are amusing, but this is an administration staffed top to bottom with liars and persons who are not there to serve their country, but to seek advantage for themself.

50. Zonk is One Individual Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:29 PM (#5786638)
Provided you accept a "talking points memo" story based on anonymous sources "familiar" with the matter.

The part I excerpted from TPM is actually an excerpt from the WSJ story.

I've let me WSJ digital subscription lapse, so I don't want to waste freebies.
   51. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:30 PM (#5786639)

He said, "Obama ain't so bad."
   52. Srul Itza Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:32 PM (#5786640)
The part I excerpted from TPM is actually an excerpt from the WSJ story.

That slightly raises the credibility factor, but it still comes from an anonymous source among the worst people ever to populate the government.
   53. McCoy Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:37 PM (#5786641)

It would be legitimately interesting to have an actual discussion on many of Ray's perspective on things,

Why? He's Ray. We all know what he is going to say and he isn't in a position for his opinion to matter. It would be one thing if he told interesting anecdotes or if Ray's Rayness can be used as a way to dig deeper into interesting topics but a lot of people seem to treat him like he's the Dos Equis spokesman. You don't need Ray's Rayness to have a conversation.
   54. Zonk is One Individual Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:37 PM (#5786643)
That slightly raises the credibility factor, but it still comes from an anonymous source among the worst people ever to populate the government.

Accepted as table stakes.

I'm just at -- and I think we should all now reorient ourselves to the reality - that "worst people ever" now basically means bottom of the barrel everywhere you look. And it's time to start classifying the variants of 'worst people ever' and offering opinions thereof as warranted.

Hence, I stand by the idea that it's embarrassing, but a good thing because worst people ever - stupid petty mean girls class is probably better than worst people ever - but I wanna bomb Iran NOW class.

Such is life in the Trump era.
   55. Traderdave Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:38 PM (#5786644)
as an example, the shitbag drives his Camaro at 60-70 MPH down our residential street constantly. He hasn't killed anyone yet, as far as I know, but it's incredibly, incredibly reckless and just an overall really shitty thing to do. I find myself hoping he wraps himself around a tree, which I know I shouldn't do. but better he kill himself than some hapless pedestrian.

While I have no direct experience, I've heard -- and mind you it's all rumor & hearsay -- that salt often finds its way into gas tanks, fuel lines have been known to spontaneously cut themselves, tires are prone to commit suicide all four at once, and many other strange, seemingly occult things happen to innocent automobiles. I sure hope that NEVER happens on your block.

56. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:39 PM (#5786645)
Why? He's Ray. We all know what he is going to say and he isn't in a position for his opinion to matter. It would be one thing if he told interesting anecdotes or if Ray's Rayness can be used as a way to dig deeper into interesting topics but a lot of people seem to treat him like he's the Dos Equis spokesman.

You're really close here, but I actually imagine him as a different televised spokesman. I think my interpretation is more accurate.
   57. McCoy Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:40 PM (#5786646)

The Donald-Melania relationship is ... interesting. They don't show any real affection toward each other and I don't get the sense that the like each other. Her silence during the Stormy Daniels affair was striking. But yet she has some pull within the White House, as this story demonstrates.

Happy wife, happy life. Especially if you are a serial adulterer.
   58. Lassus Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:44 PM (#5786648)
that salt often finds its way into gas tanks

Isn't this sugar? /roalddahl
   59. Zonk is One Individual Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:45 PM (#5786649)
The news wait this afternoon seems to be whether Nielsen, Kelly, or both get fired - or - if the WH is waiting to announce those in tandem with what appears to be some more Mueller indictments...
   60. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:47 PM (#5786651)
While I have no direct experience, I've heard -- and mind you it's all rumor & hearsay -- that salt often finds its way into gas tanks, fuel lines have been known to spontaneously cut themselves, tires are prone to commit suicide all four at once, and many other strange, seemingly occult things happen to innocent automobiles. I sure hope that NEVER happens on your block.

Yeah, not until I get surveillance cameras set up outside my house. I have a lot more to lose than he does, starting with my $90,000 RV parked directly across the street from his mother's driveway. I know he's retaliate even if he had no proof it was me.
   61. McCoy Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:48 PM (#5786653)
So Amazon announced they are opening East coast branches in NYC and Crystal City, VA. My money was always on NoVa and it does make sense to split it because I can't imagine putting 50,000 jobs into Arlington and Alexandria. So you'd have to go even further out from DC and at that point what would be the point? If they wanted to be true blue patriots and humanitarians they would have put the Amazon site in Baltimore. That would have really changed the direction of Baltimore.

Anyway Crystal City is kind of a dump and traffic can be kind of a nightmare. I know the government and the government dependent business were moving away from CC earlier in the decade and century. I believe the government had as their stated reason being for security reasons so there is probably a good amount of space available. Traffic could be a bit of a pain in the butt in and around that area. I'm guessing this isn't going to help.
   62. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:48 PM (#5786654)

He sounds like an utter dream compared to the neighbor of a good friend's vet. They live out in the country, & he's partial to standing around her property line with an ax & being, uh, unsociable. He's rather fond of using said ax to chop animals to bits. He previously lived there with his elderly parents, both of whom rather recently died ... unexpectedly.

Sounds like a slasher movie stereotype.
   63. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:48 PM (#5786655)
The blue wave was big — and significant — in state legislatures

These Democratic gains set the stage for future elections. A majority of the governors holding veto power over redistricting in 2021 are now Democrats. Moreover, in most states where Democrats won control of a legislative chamber on Tuesday, the legislature has a role in the congressional redistricting process — although Colorado voters took this power away from the legislature via the initiative process.

In short, Republican losses in state legislatures were typical for a midterm election, but these losses could translate into larger losses for the party in the future.
   64. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:49 PM (#5786656)
If they wanted to be true blue patriots and humanitarians they would have put the Amazon site in Baltimore. That would have really changed the direction of Baltimore.

Bruh, this is Jeff Bezos.

The blue wave was big — and significant — in state legislatures

The key to gerrymandering!
   65. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:50 PM (#5786658)

Surprised that the anti-gun SJW types around here have not posted yesterday's horrible story about the cops killing a black security guard because he had successfully used a gun to guard the bar he was working at.
   66. Zonk is One Individual Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:50 PM (#5786659)
Yeah, not until I get surveillance cameras set up outside my house. I have a lot more to lose than he does, starting with my $90,000 RV parked directly across the street from his mother's driveway. I know he's retaliate even if he had no proof it was me.

Don't you have any other neighbors you also don't like, if not as much?

Leland Gaunt would know what to do.
   67. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:52 PM (#5786660)
Why? He's Ray. We all know what he is going to say
Take the Mexico Hike.

Whether one of us could do it or not is a springboard for a potentially interesting discussion, which some tried to have, regarding the various risks and obstacles and so forth. I mean, not *that* interesting, but this is just an example. Most of us could handle the walking part - could we handle the pooping? Sleeping outside? Blisters? Sunburn? What are the parameters - could we have new shoes when we asked for them? Would we be safe from bandits?

Ray's haughty "of course I could do it, I go to the gym" was predictable given the Ray Persona. His subsequent refusal to address any nuanced talking points is not a surprise. Just, what's the word... Sad.
   68. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:55 PM (#5786664)
Regarding another recent topic, I'm in agreement with most that the Florida recounts are unlikely to change anything.
   69. Lassus Posted: November 13, 2018 at 01:55 PM (#5786665)
Surprised that the anti-gun SJW types around here have not posted yesterday's horrible story about the cops killing a black security guard because he had successfully used a gun to guard the bar he was working at.

Not sure where your gotcha fantasy points here, or why; but none of the hipster acronyms you use identify anyone here who is anti-gun for cops. Or security guards, probably.

Good thing this guy's race wasn't any factor in his death, though, amirite?

70. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: November 13, 2018 at 02:01 PM (#5786668)

Not sure where your gotcha fantasy points here, but none of the hipster acronyms you use identify anyone here who is anti-gun for cops. Or security guards, probably.
No gotcha at all. It's a story worth commenting on, and it actually supports both the cops-are-racist SJW narrative and the anti-gun narrative of good guys shouldn't have guns to defend themselves because it will just lead to good guys being killed.
   71. spycake Posted: November 13, 2018 at 02:02 PM (#5786669)
I've let me WSJ digital subscription lapse, so I don't want to waste freebies.

I've found you can paste "http://facebook.com/l.php?u=" in front of the WSJ URL and get around the paywall. (Because they want folks to share them on Facebook.)

So this article would be: http://facebook.com/l.php?u=https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-has-decided-to-remove-homeland-security-secretary-nielsen-1542126979
   72. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 13, 2018 at 02:04 PM (#5786671)
Regarding another recent topic, I'm in agreement with most that the Florida recounts are unlikely to change anything.

I had initially had a sliver of hope that the missing 26,000 Senate votes in Broward could be found to exist, just not initially counted for some reason. Given the 70/30 D/R split in the county, that had to potential to make up most if not all the deficit. but Clapper correctly pointed out that the two gubernatorial candidates have almost the exact same vote leads on their Senate counterparts*, strongly implying that the undervotes, if found and counted, will split pretty evenly.

*Gillum has 10,300 more votes in Broward than Nelson, and DeSantis has 10,700 more than Scott.
   73. Traderdave Posted: November 13, 2018 at 02:04 PM (#5786672)
Nielsen is a dishonest, hateful bigot. Doesn't that make her a natural for Il Duce's cabinet?
   74. Lassus Posted: November 13, 2018 at 02:05 PM (#5786673)
and it actually supports both the cops-are-racist SJW narrative and the anti-gun narrative of good guys shouldn't have guns to defend themselves because it will just lead to good guys being killed.

Understood, sorry for the tone. (I mean, SJW is an insult, though, so.)
   75. Lassus Posted: November 13, 2018 at 02:07 PM (#5786676)

Still waiting for NY-22 to be confirmed for Brindisi, hopefully this week. Very close.
   76. McCoy Posted: November 13, 2018 at 02:08 PM (#5786677)
Ocasio-Cortez is apparently outraged that Amazon is moving to Queens. This might just be the problem with electing 29 year old waitresses to Congress. I mean it is nice to have goals and beliefs but you kind of need money to pay for those things. Where does she think this money is going to come from if not from businesses?
   77. Lassus Posted: November 13, 2018 at 02:11 PM (#5786678)
That's... not what she said. She said that she was receiving calls from outraged residents regarding the tax breaks that are being received by Amazon when NYC needs the tax money to fix things like the subway and other infrastructure.
   78. The Yankee Clapper Posted: November 13, 2018 at 02:12 PM (#5786680)
. . . my $90,000 RV . . .

What kind (if you care to divulge)?
   79. Zonk is One Individual Posted: November 13, 2018 at 02:12 PM (#5786681)
Ocasio-Cortez is apparently outraged that Amazon is moving to Queens. This might just be the problem with electing 29 year old waitresses to Congress. I mean it is nice to have goals and beliefs but you kind of need money to pay for those things. Where does she think this money is going to come from if not from businesses?

Meh - based on the way uber-large companies like Amazon operate with their big HQ openings and moves... they're really not far off the way MLB teams wrangle stadiums.

I'm not familiar with the terms of NYC's bid, but I saw some reporting on Chicago's bid... as well as having seen their package to lure Boeing's HQ to Chicago... and yeesh. The financing, tax breaks, etc? Pass.
   80. Traderdave Posted: November 13, 2018 at 02:15 PM (#5786683)
Is Ms. AOC unaware of New York City's very large personal income tax, which is probably the highest local income tax in America? Has she considered that as a source of local revenue to continue lining organized labor and the Mafia's pockets, er , I mean, subway repair and other infrastructure?

81. base ball chick Posted: November 13, 2018 at 02:16 PM (#5786684)
hello boyz

went to open mah computer and it blue screened and when i got it back up the last OTP thread had disappeared, so i gotta apologise for mah computer misbehaving

- reads thread

nevermind

- i remember when dan used to be such FUN with a great sensa yuma. don't know what happened.
SAD
- as the orange one would say

as for the weather, it UCKSAYS - cold as an icicle and gonna freeze tonight - and it is only mid november for chrissakes!!!!!!!
gonna hafta wrap the plants
   82. BDC Posted: November 13, 2018 at 02:16 PM (#5786686)
not far off the way MLB teams wrangle stadiums

And then you don't even get a stadium out of it! If they would build the Mets a park in Long Island City that might be worth it. Air-conditioned, naturally.
   83. BDC Posted: November 13, 2018 at 02:19 PM (#5786688)
Oh, and it's cold in DFW too, though sunny for a change and really not too unseasonable. But La D. is having to cover some plants and wheel some into the garage at night, yes. Guess global warming was a hoax …
   84. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 13, 2018 at 02:19 PM (#5786689)
Don't you have any other neighbors you also don't like, if not as much?

Not sure where you are going with this, but no, I like all my other neighbors.
   85. PreservedFish Posted: November 13, 2018 at 02:20 PM (#5786691)
Meanwhile, I must have rocketed up the BTF Mexican Death March Draft Rankings this weekend by completing a Spartan race in Fenway Park, demonstrating my speed, endurance, and wall-climbing ability. I failed the spear throw obstacle, which doesn't bode well for the rocks-vs-guns battle that will apparently culminate the march.
   86. DJS Holiday-Related Pun Posted: November 13, 2018 at 02:20 PM (#5786692)

I've never threatened anyone in my life. We can't all be bigoted liars like you, pshitman. Sadly, there are no more contributors here for you to bully away.

I merely suggested McCoy might enjoy voluntarily, of his own accord, placing a railroad spike in a sensitive spot. Which I hold to. He can choose not to do so.

So now the best case scenario is that Dan got zapped along with the last thread.

Does your guardian pay Jim for babysitting?
   87. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 13, 2018 at 02:21 PM (#5786693)
What kind (if you care to divulge)?

Airstream Interstate EXT
   88. BrianBrianson Posted: November 13, 2018 at 02:23 PM (#5786694)
Morally, if kids ain't wearing snow pants for Hallowe'en, it's barely even a childhood.
   89. BDC Posted: November 13, 2018 at 02:23 PM (#5786695)
Well, if it wasn't Dan who got OTP zapped it must have been me. I don't remember what I said now, but I know I can lose control when discussing public-library bond issues, so apologies to all.
   90. Srul Itza Posted: November 13, 2018 at 02:23 PM (#5786696)
it's cold in DFW too

It's been down to 73 around here lately.

Should warm up soon.
   91. tshipman Posted: November 13, 2018 at 02:24 PM (#5786697)
I've never threatened anyone in my life. We can't all be bigoted liars like you, pshitman. Sadly, there are no more contributors here for you to bully away.

I explained this already, but it's beyond embarrassing that you can't keep your lies about people straight.

Why did you get the thread deleted, if not for your pitiful display?
   92. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: November 13, 2018 at 02:25 PM (#5786698)
Not sure where your gotcha fantasy points here, but none of the hipster acronyms you use identify anyone here who is anti-gun for cops. Or security guards, probably.

No gotcha at all. It's a story worth commenting on, and it actually supports both the cops-are-racist SJW narrative and the anti-gun narrative of good guys shouldn't have guns to defend themselves because it will just lead to good guys being killed.

Has the NRA released a statement expressing their outrage at another law-abiding American being murdered by jackbooted government thugs?
   93. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 13, 2018 at 02:25 PM (#5786699)
It's been down to 73 around here lately.

86 here today. I'd kill for a cold snap. It's almost never this hot so late in the year. It's playing havoc with my stone crab traps. The season doesn't pick up until the water cools off a bt.
   94. JL72 Posted: November 13, 2018 at 02:26 PM (#5786700)
and the anti-gun narrative of good guys shouldn't have guns to defend themselves because it will just lead to good guys being killed.

You have definitely identified a real issue here. A cop coming on to the scene won't know instantly who is the good guy and who is the bad guy. Since we, or rather the legal system, has given cops a whole lot of latitude to shoot people if the cop feels in danger, I can't see more guns doing anything other than increasing that feeling of danger, resulting in more shootings.
   95. DJS Holiday-Related Pun Posted: November 13, 2018 at 02:28 PM (#5786702)
- i remember when dan used to be such FUN with a great sensa yuma. don't know what happened.
SAD

Since 2012, I've no longer needed to pretend to be nice to people who infected the site with politics for years or people whose religious bigotry chased away contributors (Lassus, I don't mean you here, I personally think OG read intent in your post that wasn't there). And it's wonderful that almost everyone I personally detest hangs out in these threads; it's remarkable efficiency. If only Murray Chass joined this site, I'd call it a royal flush (the bathroom kind).

I have *zero* compunction about being nasty to awful people like Sam or Andy or Shipman (I couldn't care less about McCoy but told an outright lie, which was too blatant to not earn a nasty remark). And when Sam one day threatens the wrong person with violence and the authorities research his background, I've saved the comment ID for every one of his violent threats I've come across, to aid Jim in cooperating with law enforcement (which is why I don't have Sam on ignore like shipman, who I accidentally saw while I was logged out a few minutes ago).

*You* tell *me* what's so funny and amusing about a poster who literally tells people that he disagrees with that he hopes their children predecease them so that they can mourn their loss? Or a poster whose anti-Mormon bigotry is so blatant, that one of our regular contributors no longer felt safe associating with the site (and a couple of other Mormon commenters that left, though it was more of a group thing rather than *just* Shipman). These are disgusting human beings who infect a site I used to care about; I have no motivation to mince words.
   96. JL72 Posted: November 13, 2018 at 02:31 PM (#5786704)
Has the NRA released a statement expressing their outrage at another law-abiding American being murdered by jackbooted government thugs?

I will be curious to see whether the NRA or the police come out on top on this issue.
   97. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 13, 2018 at 02:32 PM (#5786705)
And it's wonderful that almost everyone I personally detest hangs out in these threads; it's remarkable efficiency.

That's sweet.
   98. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: November 13, 2018 at 02:33 PM (#5786707)
Since 2012, I've no longer needed to pretend to be nice to people who infected the site with politics for years or people whose religious bigotry chased away contributors (Lassus, I don't mean you here, I personally think OG read intent in your post that wasn't there). And it's wonderful that almost everyone I personally detest hangs out in these threads; it's remarkable efficiency. If only Murray Chass joined this site, I'd call it a royal flush (the bathroom kind).

lol if you killed this thread you'd lose half your userbase. how about you guys put some work into the site instead of ######## about your users and self moderating your embarrassments away?
   99. tshipman Posted: November 13, 2018 at 02:38 PM (#5786709)
Since 2012, I've no longer needed to pretend to be nice to people who infected the site with politics for years or people whose religious bigotry chased away contributors

So why did you nuke the previous week's thread?
   100. The Yankee Clapper Posted: November 13, 2018 at 02:41 PM (#5786710)
Airstream Interstate EXT

Looks good. I have a Roadtrek.
Page 1 of 5 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Harveys Wallbangers
for his generous support.