Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, October 08, 2018

OTP 2018 October 8: Hugh Jackman’s ‘The Front Runner’ Confronts The Political Conundrum Of Our Time

The picture drops us into the thick of the 1984 campaign right as Hart (a low-key and weather Jackman, oddly eschewing his usual star charisma) conceding the nomination to Walter Mondale. As you know, Mondale got slaughtered by Ronald Regan in the general election, losing all but one state in the electoral college (despite still winning 41% of the popular vote). So, four years later, Hart is back in the thick of it, as he argues that the failed 1984 campaign was partially to introduce himself on the national stage for the next time anyway. And this time out, he quickly becomes the front runner for the nomination and the general election.

Want to know what happened next? I guess you have to watch the movie.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: October 08, 2018 at 09:00 AM | 1559 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movie, off topic, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 10 of 16 pages ‹ First  < 8 9 10 11 12 >  Last ›
   901. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: October 11, 2018 at 12:51 PM (#5764632)
FTR that Slate article was written by a Latino who obviously doesn't like Trump and who says that many of the explanations for low Latino voter turnout "anger" him. Whether or not the percentages of those two polls he cites will be reflected in the midterms in swing states is another story, but don't kill the messenger just because he brings bad news. Let's leave that sort of mentality to Republicans.

What the article doesn't say, and what would be interesting to know, would be the breakdown of those percentages by state and age. It's not news that (for instance) the earlier waves of Cuban refugees were largely white and middle class, and helped form an important part of the Republican base in Florida.** The question is how much their children and grandchildren's politics reflect their parents' or grandparents' views, or if they've shifted to be more in line with non-Cuban American members of their age group.

** Whose political leanings might have turned out differently if they hadn't been automatically granted preferential status towards citizenship. If only other Latin American refugees from dictatorships were granted similar preferential treatment.
   902. perros Posted: October 11, 2018 at 12:59 PM (#5764636)
.e., - one thing we could do, one card we do have? "

One of my personal multi-polar projects is to disidentify with the US state... which doesn't preclude a patriotic internationalism.
   903. PreservedFish Posted: October 11, 2018 at 01:01 PM (#5764638)
I hear Sweden is giving some boffo tax breaks to families willing to homestead an abandoned island.
   904. Zonk is One Individual Posted: October 11, 2018 at 01:02 PM (#5764640)
The most ridiculous aspect and virtually surreal aspect of this Saudi nonsense (not just Khashoggi, but Qatar, the coup, et al)?

Not all neocons are equal, either. Like I said - the non-administration neocons are aghast about khashoggi - but a hardliner like Bolton?

He just wants to build up a new counterweight to Iran.

We "had" one. It was Iraq. We spent 2 trillion dollars and some several hundred thousand dead and maimed to eliminate it.

Now, we're spending more - and more maimed and dead plus more of our World Cards and principles - to help create another one.
   905. Zonk is One Individual Posted: October 11, 2018 at 01:08 PM (#5764643)
One of my personal multi-polar projects is to disidentify with the US state... which doesn't preclude a patriotic internationalism.

Well, this should help in that endeavor.

Going back to just before the flip, if we're going to drop any and all attempts at principle and make "self-interest" the only pretext to everything?

Yeah, #### it. I'm out.
   906. perros Posted: October 11, 2018 at 01:10 PM (#5764644)
My relationship with OTP is a bit like Jacob's ladder -- I've been drawn to wrestling with it despite wanting to disengage. Or maybe like Jonah, the Big Fish ate me up and to this point won't spit me out.

But the two biggest outrages of thr past year -- Child Separation and Kavanaugh Confirmation -- have moved me from irritation and aversion to anger and engagement, to the point today where I feel a call to activism. Not any pounding on the SCOTUS doors, but a dawning realization that engagement wil be local then state then federal, and beyond, working microcosmically inside to out.

Just getting pissed on the internet will no longer do.
   907. zenbitz Posted: October 11, 2018 at 01:12 PM (#5764645)
I really do miss the perspective of JE on This latest middle East flap. Especially w.r.t Turkey...
   908. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: October 11, 2018 at 01:12 PM (#5764646)
You gotta start riding the buses outta the CD.

Ha, what I should do is move down to Columbia City area now that the light rail is down there. Get me some more working class vibes. Although maybe that's not far enough south these days. Maybe Rainier Beach!

909. The Yankee Clapper Posted: October 11, 2018 at 01:14 PM (#5764648)
In end-of-Senate-session news - Dems Face Fight Or Flight Dilemma On Judges:
The Senate currently has 42 judicial nominees in the queue for floor votes, with nine more slated for Thursday consideration by the Judiciary panel. While it's unclear how many of those picks McConnell plans to seek a pre-election deal on with Schumer, the Kentucky Republican has underscored that he intends to follow his victory on Kavanaugh with more judicial confirmations before the midterms.

Democratic senators can use procedural gambits to drag out that judicial confirmation process, a signal to their base that they'll keep fighting hard post-Kavanaugh. But even prominent liberals are reluctant to say how much resistance they'll put up without knowing which nominees McConnell is prioritizing. They also understand how badly their colleagues up for reelection want to leave Washington to campaign.
. . .
Privately, some Democrats argue that because McConnell will be able to push through more nominees during the post-election lame-duck session, it makes little sense to prod their members to stay in session and fight a short-term, losing battle now. Or, as Warren put it, "Holding senators in Washington for days in order to do one 15-minute vote doesn’t make much sense."
. . .
“I need to be home, that’s what I’m going to tell you. I’m going to evaluate what these votes are," said Sen. Heidi Heitkamp (D-N.D.), perhaps the caucus' most vulnerable incumbent.

The Senate Judiciary Committee voted out 8 more judicial nominees this morning (1 8th Circuit & 7 District Court nominees) making it 50 awaiting a floor vote. My guess is that all the Circuit Court Judges and ~ half the District Court nominees, who are mostly uncontroversial, will get a deal done. However, note the activist groups in the linked article demanding that Senate Democrats engage in futile scorched earth opposition regardless of the impact on their re-election prospects.
   910. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: October 11, 2018 at 01:15 PM (#5764651)
I realize in the era of Trump - it's pretty futile, maybe even a bit silly, to wistfully remember a world where policy wasn't treated like a WWE Nitro event.

How can anyone take you seriously when you don't even know that Nitro was the WCW-branded show and RAW the WWF-branded one?
   911. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: October 11, 2018 at 01:16 PM (#5764652)
Homeless America

The average age at death for a homeless man is 51 and for a woman 43. Nearly half succumb to alcohol or drugs, 28 percent are hit by vehicles and 9 percent commit suicide.
   912. Zonk is One Individual Posted: October 11, 2018 at 01:16 PM (#5764653)
I really do miss the perspective of JE on This latest middle East flap. Especially w.r.t Turkey...

Why?

It's not hard to mimic: Iran bad. Anything bad for Iran good. Anything that should have been bad for Iran, but wasn't is someone else's fault.

I'd be willing to create a 2nd account and present that in a wordier fashion if you like.
   913. Zonk is One Individual Posted: October 11, 2018 at 01:17 PM (#5764654)
How can anyone take you seriously when you don't even know that Nitro was the WCW-branded show and RAW the WWF-branded one?

Because I use USAToday standards.

It's all pro-wrestling, so it's close enough to constitute a valid opinion.

Check that, I use better than USAToday standards.
   914. perros Posted: October 11, 2018 at 01:20 PM (#5764656)
I hear Sweden is giving some boffo tax breaks to families willing to homestead an abandoned island.

Inspired
   915. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: October 11, 2018 at 01:23 PM (#5764658)
I'd be willing to create a 2nd account and present that in a wordier fashion if you like.

You need to make sure to link to really long but mostly pointless articles and then pretend they support whatever (Anti-Iran) point you think you are making.
   916. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: October 11, 2018 at 01:23 PM (#5764659)
Oh boy. Kanye is going full cray cray in an Oval Office steam of consciousness rant. Unless I misheard, he said "We don't have a 13th floor on buildings, why do we need a 13th amendment?" he moved seamlessly from to that to I have bi-polar disorder, to showing Trump a picture of a hydrogen powered airplane on his phone, and Trump sitting there with a #### eating grin as if to say "This guy makes a lot of sense."
   917. BrianBrianson Posted: October 11, 2018 at 01:23 PM (#5764660)
Just getting pissed on the internet will no longer do.

Yeah, sure, but you're mostly not trying to convince anyone you're arguing with (it does happen, albeit quite rarely), but mostly for the benefit of the audience. Yeah, volunteering at the local level is probably where you can make the greatest difference, though it can be a small pond in terms of influence. Engaging people you know, can perhaps make some difference.
   918. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: October 11, 2018 at 01:24 PM (#5764661)
The average age at death for a homeless man is 51 and for a woman 43. Nearly half succumb to alcohol or drugs, 28 percent are hit by vehicles and 9 percent commit suicide.

From the link:

These men and women, and increasingly children, are the collateral damage of the corporate state, their dignity and lives destroyed by the massive transference of wealth upward, deindustrialization and the slashing of federal investment in affordable housing begun during the Reagan administration. The lack of stable jobs that pay a living wage in the gig and temp economy, the collapse of mental health and medical services for the poor, and gentrification are turning America into a living hell for hundreds of thousands of its citizens. And this is just the start.

Charles McPherson, 34, stands looking at the collection of recent obituaries posted on the wall near the front door. He was about 2 when his father died. In his senior year in high school he was taken hostage by an escaped convict and held for 12 hours during a standoff with police. He never went back to school.

“PTSD,” he says of his dropping out of school. “I could not be in crowds.”

He drifted from one short-term job to another. He lived for two years in an RV. He filed countless requests for housing but was turned down. By 2014 he was homeless.

I ask him what he finds hardest about being homeless.

“Not being able to get ahead,” he says. “Just barely keeping from losing everything we’ve got.”

Leo Rhodes, 53, a Pima Indian, grew up in poverty on the Gila River Indian reservation south of Phoenix. He joined the Army when he was 19. When he returned from the Army after three years he started abusing drugs and alcohol. He has been homeless, on and off, for 30 years. He has also been one of the most effective advocates for the homeless in Seattle and Portland. He helped found and organize the governance of two tent cities and a rest area in Portland where the homeless can sleep in 12-hour shifts in a safe environment called Right to Dream Too. He keeps notebooks full of his poetry. He divides the world into the “homeless and the non-homeless.”

He hands me one of his poems, published in Street Roots, titled “Being Human?” It reads:

I am the voice you never hear
If I spoke would you listen?
I am the ugly duckling
Visible in your pretty little world
I am the criminal when I sleep
I am the nuisance
Trying to keep dry out of the rain
I am the homeless person
Looking for dignity and a safe secure place

I'm convinced it's as much a mental health and addiction problem as any lack of housing or lack of work problem. Probably a good 2/3 of the homeless on any given night are hopelessly addicted to hard drugs or otherwise mentally unable to care for themselves. Of the other 1/3 (or so) some, maybe half, are "home free" or if they are older "drifters".

And finally the other half of that 1/3 are the "down on their luck" folks that were hanging on below the poverty line but because of gentrification, lack of steady employment, illness and general malaise have found themselves on the street that night.

Importantly, (imo) it's only that little portion that I just talked about that are receptive to most homeless services, including shelter.

We need to end the war on the drugs and instead of incarceration we need rehab and halfway homes.
   919. perros Posted: October 11, 2018 at 01:25 PM (#5764662)
Tropical Storm Michael forecast has it making a beeline for the English Channel this weekend.

No kidding.
   920. perros Posted: October 11, 2018 at 01:28 PM (#5764665)

I'm convinced it's as much a mental health and addiction problem as any lack of housing or lack of work problem

IOW, why does the former have to lead to the latter. Or to incarceration.
   921. perros Posted: October 11, 2018 at 01:32 PM (#5764668)

Yeah, sure, but you're mostly not trying to convince anyone you're arguing with (it does happen, albeit quite rarely), but mostly for the benefit of the audience. Yeah, volunteering at the local level is probably where you can make the greatest difference, though it can be a small pond in terms of influence. Engaging people you know, can perhaps make some difference.

Things evolve. Here, maybe a glimmer of discussion rather than argument. IRL, not volunteering directly but engaging the politics. So very few are paying close attention to the mundane acts of locsl government.
   922. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: October 11, 2018 at 01:33 PM (#5764670)

I mean, there's no natural right to consume trans fats or big gulps,
I mean, I disagree. It's the same right as in Griswold or Lawrence or the like. But voting isn't like that.
   923. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: October 11, 2018 at 01:40 PM (#5764671)
Tropical Storm Michael forecast has it making a beeline for the English Channel this weekend.

No kidding.
That sucker is moving fast, I'll give it that. Remember how Florence (and Hugo) just squatted a few miles inland for what seemed like days? This one's going to be across the Atlantic before we come into work on Monday.

Better for the Carolinas, I guess, to get just a passing dump rather than three days of rain. Not looking so hot along the panhandle, hopefully Trump can have a couple more rallies during which he blesses their little hearts.
   924. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: October 11, 2018 at 01:40 PM (#5764672)
921- Best way to engage and change the minds of the people in your community is through Church and Fellowship.
   925. PreservedFish Posted: October 11, 2018 at 01:41 PM (#5764674)
922 - Still, you haven't answered the thrust of the question. Is it fair to say that you and other libertarians are generally unhappy or skeptical when the government compels you to do something? I mean, Gary Johnson was booed at a Libertarian convention for supporting driver's licenses! So here we have governments making voting requirements more onerous than they were previously. Your answer - "not a natural right!" - seems like a technicality in order to justify your non-libertarian view of the matter.
   926. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: October 11, 2018 at 01:42 PM (#5764676)
IOW, why does the former have to lead to the latter. Or to incarceration.

A lot of variables but I'd like to see work release and vocational training emphasized just as much as housing.
   927. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: October 11, 2018 at 01:45 PM (#5764677)
922 - Still, you haven't answered the thrust of the question. Is it fair to say that you and other libertarians are generally unhappy or skeptical when the government compels you to do something? I mean, Gary Johnson was booed at a Libertarian convention for supporting driver's licenses! So here we have governments making voting requirements more onerous than they were previously. Your answer - "not a natural right!" - seems like a technicality in order to justify your non-libertarian view of the matter.

We live in a society. Which is what anarchists and libertarians can't reconcile and why their "solutions" aren't answers to anything other than thought experiments.
   928. Zonk is One Individual Posted: October 11, 2018 at 01:48 PM (#5764679)
Oh boy. Kanye is going full cray cray in an Oval Office steam of consciousness rant. Unless I misheard, he said "We don't have a 13th floor on buildings, why do we need a 13th amendment?" he moved seamlessly from to that to I have bi-polar disorder, to showing Trump a picture of a hydrogen powered airplane on his phone, and Trump sitting there with a #### eating grin as if to say "This guy makes a lot of sense."

Oy.

This does not even begin to cover it.

I have no idea to what - if any - extent Kanye's Trumpism will help with the African-American vote... but the "Do you need medical assistance? Can I put you in touch with a mental health professional?" vote OTOH.

I'm not sure who should be more embarrassed... Kanye West, Donald Trump, or the person who thought making this is a public and televised event would be a good idea.
   929. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: October 11, 2018 at 01:54 PM (#5764681)
If one bears in mind that Hispanic includes exceedingly white people you'd never realise are Hispanic

And Cubans.
   930. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: October 11, 2018 at 01:55 PM (#5764682)
Of course not. Voting is something that is derivative of government; no government, no voting.

No government, no contracts. No contracts, no smarmy libertarian lawyers who don't realize that they wouldn't survive ten ####### minutes in their dreamed of utopia.
   931. Zonk is One Individual Posted: October 11, 2018 at 01:55 PM (#5764683)
I think the kindest reading of that... event... is that there is a non-zero chance that Kanye West is running some kind of long con on Trump and the Trumpkins.

932. BrianBrianson Posted: October 11, 2018 at 01:56 PM (#5764684)
921- Best way to engage and change the minds of the people in your community is through Church and Fellowship.

I'm inclined to this is completely nutty - if people are going to church, they're probably not at all open to the idea that they might be wrong. But I'd probably take "shaving using a cheese grater's carrot shredding side" over "attend church", even if it was the kind of church where they supplement your pregaming, so what would I know?

Engaging the people you know is probably where you can have the biggest influence, even if that's sometimes considered "rude". So, I guess it depends on how you know people.
   933. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: October 11, 2018 at 01:57 PM (#5764686)
I think the kindest reading of that... event... is that there is a non-zero chance that Kanye West is running some kind of long con on Trump and the Trumpkins.

I think it's much more likely he's off his ass on a combo of vodka, cocaine, percs, and bars.
   934. PreservedFish Posted: October 11, 2018 at 01:57 PM (#5764687)
I didn't realize that Kanye was bipolar. That makes a lot of sense. We have a family friend with a bipolar son who developed a messiah complex and had some unholy adventures in the Holy Land. His parents were advised to consider him dead and cut off all contact.
   935. Zonk is One Individual Posted: October 11, 2018 at 02:01 PM (#5764689)
A quick greatest hits compendium.

But if you just want to know how well it went? I think this sums it up:

Trump: From our standpoint, it's just a lunch.
   936. The Yankee Clapper Posted: October 11, 2018 at 02:05 PM (#5764690)
In other Senate news, the Republicans chances of retaining the Senate increased to 81.5% at FiveThirtyEight, and the RCP "No Toss Ups Map" moved Nevada into the GOP column. Arizona may follow - Sinema is barely holding on to a 0.5% lead in the RCP poll average, but the most recent poll there has her down 6%. Next round of polls may key.
   937. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: October 11, 2018 at 02:10 PM (#5764692)
In other Senate news, the Republicans chances of retaining the Senate increased to 81.5% at FiveThirtyEight,

Congrats? The greatest map for Republicans in a generation, and you are merely 81.5% to not lose 2 seats. Enjoy the victory. Shout it from the rooftops like New Jersey Muslims on 9/11.
   938. Shredder Posted: October 11, 2018 at 02:13 PM (#5764693)
The hockey player would be Phil Housley - once the highest career scorer among American-born players until Mikey Modano passed him.
Man, this bums me out. Always been a huge Housley fan. Even have a Flames jersey with his name and number. He combined my love of American born players, high scoring players, and puck rushing defensmen.
   939. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: October 11, 2018 at 02:16 PM (#5764694)
Congrats? The greatest map for Republicans in a generation, and you are merely 81.5% to not lose 2 seats.

I consider it a victory if the Democrats only lose one Senate seat when confronted with the best GOP senate map in anyone's lifetime, I guess Clapper considers it a victory if the Democrats only win one seat.

So if the Democrats win ONLY one seat everyone goes home a winner! I like it.
   940. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: October 11, 2018 at 02:17 PM (#5764695)
Man, this bums me out. Always been a huge Housley fan.

What part, that his wife will lose? Or that they are Republicans? Or other?
   941. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: October 11, 2018 at 02:20 PM (#5764696)
936- Republican policies must be really popular!!!!!
   942. Zonk is One Individual Posted: October 11, 2018 at 02:23 PM (#5764697)
I didn't realize that Kanye was bipolar. That makes a lot of sense. We have a family friend with a bipolar son who developed a messiah complex and had some unholy adventures in the Holy Land. His parents were advised to consider him dead and cut off all contact.

There's a broad spectrum - and as much as I'm sure someone like Kanye gets competent health care (if he wants it), it should also be noted that bipolar disorder is sometimes a common misdiagnosis.

I dated a girl - on and off, not consecutively - for about two years who was bipolar. She was medicated and also good about regularly seeing her psychiatrist - indeed, there were other elements to the relationship I won't go into, but I went to a couple sessions with her... and in one case, while her psychiatrist gave me all the ToS about the fact it couldn't be her, she did suggest that if I really wanted to make it work (and I did, still disappointed it didn't), I should consider seeing someone regularly, too... as well as copious suggestions on reading material.

Anyway, yeah - one thing that dominated all the literature is that you have to be prepared for a day when it will just be over. Good advice for any relationship, I guess, but in this instance: That it will be over in a shocking and final way. As in, everything could be fine, even great one night. And the next morning at breakfast, she might well announce it's over and just want to cease contact... and that will truly be that. It won't be a temporary thing, it will be a final thing, and if you're not prepared to deal with that eventuality - and for your partner's own good, accept it without pushing, then it's not a relationship you should be in.

Man... was that right. It's hard to wrap one's mind around it, but I really and truly thought I was prepared for exactly that. Yet, it's something I guess a person cannot really prepare yourself to actually experience.

In our case, it wasn't quite that succinct. I knew something was up for about a week or so before, tried, as gently and without prodding (more advice I got) to work through it and forestall what I knew was coming. But - one night, rather than seeing her as expected - it was just a text to check my e-mail... and a longish e-mail, I guess, with apologies and wish it was it was different but ultimately just a "I can't."

Brain chemistry is both a terrifying and almost impossible thing to comprehend.
   943. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: October 11, 2018 at 02:24 PM (#5764698)
Black Mirror couldn't have written that scene in the WH with Kanye. Holy ####. Too lazy to link all the highlights but just go on twitter.
   944. Zonk is One Individual Posted: October 11, 2018 at 02:25 PM (#5764701)
Congrats? The greatest map for Republicans in a generation, and you are merely 81.5% to not lose 2 seats. Enjoy the victory. Shout it from the rooftops like New Jersey Muslims on 9/11.

He's just keeping everyone updated on how oddly close the GOP Senate chances track to Hillary's in 2016.

I think it's a rare instance where we owe thanks, not derision, to Clapper for keeping us informed.
   945. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: October 11, 2018 at 02:29 PM (#5764704)
Fox's take on Kanye: Rapper hijacks wild pre-lunch photo op to lavish praise on Trump, toy with press
“He can speak for me any time he wants, he’s a smart cookie,” Trump said. “He gets it.”

When asked if West’s previous declarations that he’ll run for president seem reasonable to Trump, he noted that he thinks Kanye “could very well be” candidate material.
Yes, this is your Republican Party, folks.
   946. Zonk is One Individual Posted: October 11, 2018 at 02:30 PM (#5764705)
Black Mirror couldn't have written that scene in the WH with Kanye. Holy ####. Too lazy to link all the highlights but just go on twitter.

935 is a pretty good compendium of the greatest hits.

I'll be searching around for a complete, uncut rendering... for tonight... when I can enjoy it with the proper chemical enhancement.
   947. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: October 11, 2018 at 02:31 PM (#5764706)
SE Cupp on the West meeting: "You have a man who is clearly not OK, and a President clearly willing to exploit that."
   948. RoyalFlush Posted: October 11, 2018 at 02:33 PM (#5764708)

If you imagine Trump is the pig...
   949. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: October 11, 2018 at 02:33 PM (#5764709)

You guys really should jump on the "nothing that has happened in the Oval Office since January, 2017, should be considered canonical literature. It's abhorrent, idiotic fan fic. Real Americans have no reason whatsoever to treat it as anything but a crime to be erased.
   950. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: October 11, 2018 at 02:34 PM (#5764710)
SE Cupp on the West meeting: "You have a man who is clearly not OK, and a President clearly willing to exploit that."

And vice versa.
   951. Zonk is One Individual Posted: October 11, 2018 at 02:38 PM (#5764714)

No, no, no. Kanye West is not President yet.

Or wait, unless this means.

Never mind.

I'm just saying all possibilities are on the table. A man clearly willing to exploit a President who is not OK. A man who is not OK being exploited by a President who is not OK. A man who is not OK and a President who is not OK willing to exploit each other.

One of the math people can probably better explain it with markov chains.
   952. The Yankee Clapper Posted: October 11, 2018 at 02:39 PM (#5764715)
I consider it a victory if the Democrats only lose one Senate seat when confronted with the best GOP senate map in anyone's lifetime, I guess Clapper considers it a victory if the Democrats only win one seat.

Desperate Bitter Mouse needs to argue with 538 if he doesn't like how their Forecast Model frames the question - I am but the messenger of news he prefers not to hear. I won't remind folks of the posts here sugggesting the Dems might take over the Senate, since that sentiment seems increasingly scarce, here and elsewhere. However, my own prediction is that the GOP gains between 1-3 seats - more than good enough for party of the president in a midterm election.
   953. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: October 11, 2018 at 02:40 PM (#5764716)
One of my sisters is bipolar, but rather than the frequent but mild swings into mania before falling back to depressive, she can years in a completely normal state, but once the manic episode hits it hits hard—it’s completely debilitating, extreme paranoia and schizophrenia, she’s completely unable to function. (Her last episode nearly killed her—she went missing and we flew across the country to try to find her, eventually discovering she’d been holed up with a group of methheads who were trying to traffick her; they got spooked ((the case had attracted some coverage in the local news)) and dropped her off at an emergency room, and she spent the next few nights in a hospital bed scared that the TV was reading her mind.)

Would not recommend.
   954. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: October 11, 2018 at 02:40 PM (#5764717)

No government, no contracts.
That is not remotely correct.
   955. Traderdave Posted: October 11, 2018 at 02:41 PM (#5764719)
Trump looks oranger than usual in those Kanye clips.

956. Zonk is One Individual Posted: October 11, 2018 at 02:51 PM (#5764722)
Desperate Bitter Mouse needs to argue with 538 if he doesn't like how their Forecast Model frames the question - I am but the messenger of news he prefers not to hear. I won't remind folks of the posts here sugggesting the Dems might take over the Senate, since that sentiment seems increasingly scarce, here and elsewhere. However, my own prediction is that the GOP gains between 1-3 seats - more than good enough for party of the president in a midterm election.

Shorter Clapper:

I should really get in the habit of saving my judicial appointments for later in the day just in case something else happens to come up in Trumpland I don't want to talk about.
   957. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: October 11, 2018 at 02:52 PM (#5764723)

It is, in fact, entirely correct. I realize your articles of faith make you stupid on this subject, but without some mechanism to enforce the contract beyond the parties themselves (or whatever private police force they might muster in defense of their interests), your "contract" is just an agreement. And at that point, your entire political philosophy hinges on all of humanity pinky swearing not to lie or cheat.
   958. Zonk is One Individual Posted: October 11, 2018 at 02:59 PM (#5764727)
The Sheriff in Union County, Arkansas is putting Nike t-shirts on people they arrest and making them wear them during mugshots.

Matt Mershon
‏Verified account @MattMershonKATV

Sheriff Roberts tells me 193 inmates are currently in the Union County Detention Facility. Only 20 inmates had mugshot taken with Nike shirt on. Sheriff says he doesn’t like doing booking photos in inmate jumpsuit. Says makes people look guilty before proven innocent. @KATVNews

Wheeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

This would be another excellent opportunity for people like Clapper to mock exile-by-choice.

Because it's one helluva a country people like him are building.
   959. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: October 11, 2018 at 03:00 PM (#5764728)
Desperate Bitter Mouse

Desperate? About what?

I was trying to find a nice bipartisan spot where both sides could be happy. Sadly Clapper doesn't seem to have that in him. I do like that suddenly Clapper has shifted gears though. I do like the wide range he gives himself and how he still ignores that this is the best Senate map in living memory for the GOP.

It is nice he has completely forgotten his own previous trolling about the House though. Remember the days when he talked about average seat gains and how anything less than that would be a loss for the Democrats? He doesn't.
   960. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: October 11, 2018 at 03:00 PM (#5764729)
Republicans could improve their chances of holding the Senate by making it even harder for people to vote.
   961. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: October 11, 2018 at 03:07 PM (#5764733)
What are the most effective tactics the GOP could use to suppress voter turnout further than it already is? Just wondering which of these might work:

* Red States could say out-of-state college students can only vote from their home state
* Increase the number of crimes that result in disenfranchisement (extend it to misdemeanors?)
* Close even more voting booths/polling stations in areas where lots of Democrats live
* Make those locations close earlier/ban early voting/absentee voting/etc

....I feel like my imagination isn’t all that great here. What are some more creative ones you guys can come up with? Let’s assume they abandon even the pretense of scruple on this issue, they lift the mask and conspire openly, admit it’s 100% about reducing turnout.
   962. JL72 Posted: October 11, 2018 at 03:10 PM (#5764735)
I guess Clapper considers it a victory if the Democrats only win one seat.

Because Clapper is like the current GOP - it is all about power. As long as the GOP retains power, it is a victory.

Hence his crowing about judicial appointments.
   963. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: October 11, 2018 at 03:11 PM (#5764736)
   964. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: October 11, 2018 at 03:12 PM (#5764738)
Only 20 inmates had mugshot taken with Nike shirt on. Sheriff says he doesn’t like doing booking photos in inmate jumpsuit. Says makes people look guilty before proven innocent.

I'm not sure how this is a bad thing. I understand King and the Twitters are pushing the "this is an insult because of Colin Kaepernick" line, but if the sheriff here is being honest, and they only use the shirts in lieu of jumpsuits, to reduce visual cues to assume guilt... That's actually amazingly good behavior from a police department, if true.
   965. The Yankee Clapper Posted: October 11, 2018 at 03:12 PM (#5764740)
Worth reading - Anti-Asian Bias, Not Affirmative Action, Is On Trial In The Harvard Case:
The lawsuit, which will go to trial next week in federal district court in Boston, has been called “the Harvard affirmative-action case,” and it has been spoken of as if it could end affirmative action at Harvard and elsewhere. Both the plaintiff, a national group called Students for Fair Admissions, and Harvard benefit from describing it that way, but, in fact, the stakes are somewhat different. Students for Fair Admissions was founded by Edward Blum, a conservative activist who has orchestrated several lawsuits challenging affirmative action, and the initial complaint included a demand that the court declare it illegal to use race as a factor in college admissions. But, in keeping with Supreme Court precedents, the judge in the case, Allison D. Burroughs, has granted judgment in favor of Harvard on that point. The question that remains for trial is whether Harvard has gone beyond what the Supreme Court has said are permissible ways to consider race in admissions—and, specifically, whether it has shown a special bias against Asian-American applicants.

Documents that came out in discovery in the lawsuit, and which were made public this past summer, revealed some startling facts. In 2013, Harvard’s Office of Institutional Research conducted an internal investigation of race bias in its admissions process and produced reports suggesting that it was biased against Asians. Among the most striking findings was that Asians were admitted at lower rates than whites, even though Asian applicants were rated higher than white applicants in most of the categories used in the admissions process, including academics, extracurriculars, and test scores. One exception was the “personal rating.” According to Harvard, this rating “reflects the wide range of information . . . that bears on applicants’ personal qualities,” and “may shed light on the applicant’s character.” The plaintiff claims that the use of affirmative action does not explain the negative effect on the admissions rate for Asians relative to whites. (Harvard said that its prior analysis was “incomplete, preliminary, and based on limited inputs.”) Warring expert economists retained in this case, both highly respected, interpret the data differently, owing to somewhat arcane disagreements about methodology: one concludes that the admissions rate for Asians is attributable to discrimination, whereas the other concludes that it is not. An unfortunate upshot is that, for Harvard to be right, it must be true that Asian applicants really did have worse personal qualities than white applicants—a suggestion that Harvard officials denied in depositions.

Seems fairly clear that Harvard has resurrected the Jewish Quota treatment for use in admission decisions on Asians. More at link.
   966. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: October 11, 2018 at 03:13 PM (#5764741)
No government, no contracts.

You could enforce the contracts with private tribunals and private goons.
   967. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: October 11, 2018 at 03:17 PM (#5764746)
....I feel like my imagination isn’t all that great here. What are some more creative ones you guys can come up with? Let’s assume they abandon even the pretense of scruple on this issue, they lift the mask and conspire openly, admit it’s 100% about reducing turnout.

Ask them their party affiliation as they enter the polling place, and arrest anyone who says "Democrat."
   968. Zonk is One Individual Posted: October 11, 2018 at 03:18 PM (#5764747)
I'm not sure how this is a bad thing. I understand King and the Twitters are pushing the "this is an insult because of Colin Kaepernick" line, but if the sheriff here is being honest, and they only use the shirts in lieu of jumpsuits, to reduce visual cues to assume guilt... That's actually amazingly good behavior from a police department, if true.

It's not because:

A) You can clearly see that in some of the pictures, the arrested are clearly already wearing non-orange jumpsuits under the Nike T-shirts that they're wearing.

and

B) There are multiple Nike shirt types... but no other types of shirts BESIDES Nikes.

So IOW - it's not true. It's pretty obvious and evident what the intent is.

I just hope this makes it to the hands of Nike's corporate counsel. Let the big company with the lawyers go after someone who deserves it for a change.
   969. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: October 11, 2018 at 03:22 PM (#5764750)
It's not because:

A) You can clearly see that in some of the pictures, the arrested are clearly already wearing non-orange jumpsuits under the Nike T-shirts that they're wearing.

and

B) There are multiple Nike shirt types... but no other types of shirts BESIDES Nikes.

So IOW - it's not true. It's pretty obvious and evident what the intent is.

I don't find your line of reasoning entirely compelling here.
   970. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: October 11, 2018 at 03:26 PM (#5764753)
I don't find your line of reasoning entirely compelling here.

You're kidding, right?
   971. , Posted: October 11, 2018 at 03:30 PM (#5764754)
Man... was that right. It's hard to wrap one's mind around it, but I really and truly thought I was prepared for exactly that. Yet, it's something I guess a person cannot really prepare yourself to actually experience.

Of course you can't prepare for it. We all know we'll die. We know everyone we love will die. Sometimes, we know it will be soon.

In none of those cases are people actually prepared for it.

Tragedy is tragic. There is no way to set your mind to it.

I'm sorry how that worked out. It sounds horrible.
   972. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: October 11, 2018 at 03:31 PM (#5764755)
You're kidding, right?

No. I'm not. To be clear, I'm not saying it's WRONG. I'm simply saying that the arguments presented as A) and B) above, plus third hand hearsay accusations, don't convince me. I DOUBT a police department is really trying to make inmates look less "presumed guilty," because they're the police. That's antithetical to their entire life's work. But I want to suspend my disbelief long enough to at least ask and verify the worst assumptions. Because if the sheriff's story is TRUE, it is far more important to provide positive feedback to him for doing that, than it is to scream and shout about yet another shitty thing done by cops, on Twitter.
   973. RoyalFlush Posted: October 11, 2018 at 03:33 PM (#5764757)
You're kidding, right?

I'm confused as well. It's not like Kaepernick had any notable legal troubles. How is this mocking him? And did the Sheriff actually have to buy the shirts? I mean, I guess that's a "sick burn" or something if you're in Arkansas, but that's pretty weak.
   974. The Yankee Clapper Posted: October 11, 2018 at 03:37 PM (#5764762)
It is nice he has completely forgotten his own previous trolling about the House though. Remember the days when he talked about average seat gains and how anything less than that would be a loss for the Democrats?

I said a long time ago that the Democrats had a reasonable chance to capture the House in 2018, since they would only need the average opposition party seat gain to do so. Bizarrely, there was immediate, strenuous, knee-jerk push back here, because not every midterm produces average gains for the opposition party. Well, duh. Nothing has changed on the House, although we should be long past the point where Team Blue can claim that falling short of capturing the House would still be something of a victory. Like 2016, you've counted the chickens before the eggs have hatched. Maybe the results will be better for you this time, maybe not.

BTW, will any of you guys be fleeing the country if the midterm results aren't to your liking? Asking for an undecided voter.
   975. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: October 11, 2018 at 03:37 PM (#5764763)
How is burning Nike stuff mocking Kaepernick? He has never been burned at the stake.
   976. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: October 11, 2018 at 03:38 PM (#5764764)
Matthew Shepard's remains to be interred at National Cathedral
His family didn’t bury his remains after Shepard was beaten and left to die near Laramie, Wyo., out of concern that the site would be desecrated.

(...)Shepard, who had been active in the Episcopal Church, will be one of about 200 people interred at the cathedral in the past century. Others include President Woodrow Wilson; Helen Keller and her teacher Anne Sullivan; and Navy Adm. George Dewey, said cathedral spokesman Kevin Eckstrom.
   977. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: October 11, 2018 at 03:41 PM (#5764765)
   978. RoyalFlush Posted: October 11, 2018 at 03:41 PM (#5764766)
How is burning Nike stuff mocking Kaepernick? He has never been burned at the stake.

Burning stuff you paid for to punish a celebrity and/or company is just stupid. It's not mocking anyone except the moron setting things on fire.
   979. Zonk is One Individual Posted: October 11, 2018 at 03:54 PM (#5764777)
I'm confused as well. It's not like Kaepernick had any notable legal troubles. How is this mocking him? And did the Sheriff actually have to buy the shirts? I mean, I guess that's a "sick burn" or something if you're in Arkansas, but that's pretty weak.

It's not about Kaepernick. It's a stupid and silly volley in one of Trump's favorite culture war dumbasseries.

And the pure idea that government entities - especially law enforcement shouldn't be doing it in the course of their official duties.

Do your ####### job. If you want to partake of the Great National Debate of Enormous Importance About a Couple Black Guys Kneeling Quietly for 90 Seconds on Sunday, do it on your time, without adding your sick burns thereof in the course of your official duties.

980. Zonk is One Individual Posted: October 11, 2018 at 04:09 PM (#5764781)
Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross admitted Thursday in ongoing litigation that then-White House adviser Steve Bannon called him in the spring of 2017 to put him in touch with Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach to discuss adding a citizenship question to the 2020 census.

Ross’ admission is contrary to previous testimony he gave to Congress in which he said he was not aware of being contacted by anyone in the White House about adding a citizenship question.

Remember... congressional testimony UNDER OATH! PENALTY OF PERJURY! is a big deal.
Sometimes, I guess.
   981. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: October 11, 2018 at 04:12 PM (#5764782)

I don't get it, either. If it's supposed to be implying that Kaepernick = criminal, that seems a pretty lame shot, not to mention the sheriff presumably paid Nike for the shirts.

--------------------------------------------------------------

It's not about Kaepernick. It's a stupid and silly volley in one of Trump's favorite culture war dumbasseries.

But if it's not about Kaepernick, then it makes even less sense. It's not as if a Nike shirt is exactly a badge of shame.
   982. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: October 11, 2018 at 04:17 PM (#5764783)
Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross admitted Thursday in ongoing litigation that then-White House adviser Steve Bannon called him in the spring of 2017 to put him in touch with Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach to discuss adding a citizenship question to the 2020 census.

Ross’ admission is contrary to previous testimony he gave to Congress in which he said he was not aware of being contacted by anyone in the White House about adding a citizenship question.

Remember... congressional testimony UNDER OATH! PENALTY OF PERJURY! is a big deal.
Sometimes, I guess.

Do perjury laws even apply to Republican cabinet members when the Republicans control the government? Maybe Claps can clue us in.
   983. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: October 11, 2018 at 04:23 PM (#5764787)
@Catherine000gr8
I am a doctor, a real doctor. Real doctors wear their stethoscopes to political rallies, otherwise how would you know that I am a real doctor? I was totally not paid to look like a doctor standing right behind the Orange One. I have a stethoscope. I am a real doctor.

I laughed.
   984. bobm Posted: October 11, 2018 at 04:31 PM (#5764792)
Britain’s Supreme Court supported on Wednesday the right of a Belfast bakery to refuse to bake a cake with a message supporting same-sex marriage, finding that its Christian owners could not be compelled to reproduce a message contrary to their beliefs.

Although the person who requested the cake was gay, a five-judge panel found that the bakery owners’ refusal was based not on his sexual orientation, but on their Protestant faith’s opposition to gay marriage.

“There was no discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation,” said the judgment, which overturned the rulings of two lower courts.

Link
   985. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: October 11, 2018 at 04:32 PM (#5764793)
@abbydphillip
Trump indicates to reporters in the Oval moments ago that he opposes stopping arms sales to Saudi Arabia: "I don’t like stopping massive amounts of money coming into our country ... I don’t like stopping an investment of $110 billion in the United States."
   986. Zonk is One Individual Posted: October 11, 2018 at 04:34 PM (#5764794)
Meanwhile, another day of large drops, though a late comeback made it less scary than it looked earlier in the day.

Just so we're clear... politics aside, one of the more attuned to such matters sorts is going to be informing us when it's time to be concerned, right?
   987. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: October 11, 2018 at 04:38 PM (#5764800)
Britain’s Supreme Court supported on Wednesday the right of a Belfast bakery to refuse to bake a cake with a message supporting same-sex marriage, finding that its Christian owners could not be compelled to reproduce a message contrary to their beliefs.

Although the person who requested the cake was gay, a five-judge panel found that the bakery owners’ refusal was based not on his sexual orientation, but on their Protestant faith’s opposition to gay marriage.

“There was no discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation,” said the judgment, which overturned the rulings of two lower courts.

Those Christian Consciences are real, and they must be spectacular.
   988. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: October 11, 2018 at 04:40 PM (#5764803)
@Catherine000gr8
I am a doctor, a real doctor. Real doctors wear their stethoscopes to political rallies, otherwise how would you know that I am a real doctor? I was totally not paid to look like a doctor standing right behind the Orange One. I have a stethoscope. I am a real doctor.

And I'm hearing the heartbeat of America!
   989. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: October 11, 2018 at 04:42 PM (#5764805)

Just so we're clear... politics aside, one of the more attuned to such matters sorts is going to be informing us when it's time to be concerned, right?
Well, it all depends on VIX, right?
   990. Zonk is One Individual Posted: October 11, 2018 at 04:45 PM (#5764808)

Well, it all depends on VIX, right?

Which also hit its highest level since the correction earlier this year...

Which, again, makes me feel that TD, dlf, etc owe us some answers... Are two big sell-offs and volatility spikes in a 9 month span sans some intervening event usual?
   991. zenbitz Posted: October 11, 2018 at 04:48 PM (#5764811)
I listened to a Kanye interview a couple weeks ago on daytime TV while in hospital waiting room.

Dude has problems but his objection to the 13th is the carve out that prisoners can still be used as slave labor. He is not wong.
   992. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: October 11, 2018 at 04:50 PM (#5764812)
Yesterday was a totally expected correction.

Today the market was MUCH improved from yesterday.

What's *your* problem? America's great again, right? Everyone says so.
   993. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: October 11, 2018 at 04:50 PM (#5764813)

Along those lines...

I was in the OR today with a doctor (a real doctor!) who I hadn't worked with before, and when we were introduced I discovered she had a really bizarre name that indicated to me that her parents were serious hippies. Not that I have to worry about most of you chumps reproducing but for goodness sake, a kid's name is like an article of clothing they wear every day for the rest of their lives. Don't send them into the world in sandals and knee-socks.
   994. Zonk is One Individual Posted: October 11, 2018 at 04:54 PM (#5764817)
Dude has problems but his objection to the 13th is the carve out that prisoners can still be used as slave labor. He is not wong.

It pretty rapidly veered into some kind of quasi-mysticism on the number 13.
   995. Traderdave Posted: October 11, 2018 at 05:04 PM (#5764821)
Which, again, makes me feel that TD, dlf, etc owe us some answers... Are two big sell-offs and volatility spikes in a 9 month span sans some intervening event usual?

I'm a bond jockey so i can really only speak to that market.

There is significant fear in Treasury and Agency markets right now, which is to be expected after ~40 bps selloff in an environment of a very flat yield curve. Very nervous, bids getting hit left & right, esp in agencies.

That said, it's not as crazy as equities. The 30 yr auction today was tepid, but that is nothing like the head-for the-hills sentiment in stocks. Important to note that while it IS a sharp selloff, it's nothing really out of the ordinary from a macro view.

What I find more interesting is how credit has held up. A touch weaker lately but again, far less fear than in the stock market. A 6 pct selloff in stocks usually widens corps more than this one has. I find this particularly curious because the dominant mood in corp land is that we are headed for a credit bubble burst. Nothing like '08 (we'll never get so lucky again) but a '98 style fallout in finance and sloppy BBB names is very much in the cards. There was a front page piece on Bloomberg about that very subject today and it's only one of a great many lately.

And in 600 more points I'll be drinking dlf's whiskey.....:)

996. baravelli Posted: October 11, 2018 at 05:17 PM (#5764825)
I’m not sure how this is a bad thing. I understand King and the Twitters are pushing the "this is an insult because of Colin Kaepernick" line, but if the sheriff here is being honest, and they only use the shirts in lieu of jumpsuits, to reduce visual cues to assume guilt... That's actually amazingly good behavior from a police department, if true.

Looks like the sheriff's practice of taking pictures of inmates with Nike shirts predates the Nike-Kapernick deal, which tends to support Rickey!'s point.
Clara Turnage at the Democrat-Gazette was unable to reach Union County Sheriff Ricky Roberts or anyone else at the sheriff's office. But she noted that by 9 p.m., less than an hour after King's post, all inmate photos had been removed from the jail roster. The practice of using Nike athletics shirt photos in mugshots dated back to at least Sept. 15, she wrote. But she noticed at least one item of Nike apparel, a polo shirt with a "swoosh' logo, was seen as early as July,before the announcement of Kaeperick's endorsement deal with Nike.
(emphasis added)

https://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2018/10/11/union-county-jail-takes-a-knee-on-photos-of-inmates-in-nike-shirts
   997. GregD Posted: October 11, 2018 at 05:17 PM (#5764826)
Do you think that if the 13th amendment didn't have that clause, there would be no jails or workhouses? Do you think all the (white) people in jails, prisons and work houses in 1866 were slaves? Do you think most slaves had judicial hearings and appeals?

There's a fascinating (and disturbing) history of U.S. incarceration but the 13th Amendment isn't even a blip in that history. Its only significance is as an (unbelievably improbable) counter-factual, but that counter-factual dissolves upon contact. New York City had 40,000 people in various city institutions in the 1860s--often just for a day or a few days, and heavily Irish and immigrant--and no one had any intention of freeing them through the 13th Amendment. So a 13th Amendment that would have ended incarceration or the use of incarcerated labor is a 13th Amendment that would never have passed Vermont or Iowa or any of the most-radical anti-slavery (and whitest) states in the country. People have associated the two processes--slavery and incarceration--for various reasons, some good, and sought a common root. But they don't have common roots. They are different statuses and different processes.
   998. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: October 11, 2018 at 05:25 PM (#5764829)
President Donald Trump has blamed an “out of control” Federal Reserve for sharp drops on global stock exchanges and said he was “disappointed” with the central bank’s chair, Jerome Powell.

Global stock markets fell again on Thursday as investors worried about signs of slowing growth, rising trade tensions and higher interest rates.

In the US all the major stock markets closed down after similar drops on Wednesday. The S&P 500, the market benchmark, closed over 2% lower on Thursday, its sixth straight daily decline. The Dow Jones industrial average fell 2.1%, or 545 points, on top of Wednesday’s 830-point tumble.

The falls came as London’s FTSE 100 index lost close to 2% and in Europe markets ended the day at a 21-month low. That followed sharp corrections across Asia with losses in Australia, China, Japan and South Korea.

US investors are suffering their biggest losses since February which have escalated tensions between Trump and Powell. Powell, who took the Fed’s top job in February, has presided over a series of interest rate hikes which have attracted Trump’s criticism.

Trump has been a persistent critic of the Fed’s interest rate policy. On Thursday, he renewed his criticism, blaming the recent downturn in the stock market on the Fed’s rate policy.

“We have interest rates going up at a clip that’s much faster than certainly a lot of people, including myself, would have anticipated. I think the Fed is out of control,” Trump told reporters in the Oval Office.

Trump said he had no intention of firing Powell. Asked if he might dismiss the Fed chair, Trump replied: “No, I’m not going to fire him. I’m just disappointed.”

Graun
   999. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: October 11, 2018 at 06:06 PM (#5764845)
Ryan J. Reilly

Verified account

@ryanjreilly
24m24 minutes ago
More
NEW: Trump-appointed federal prosecutor has secured first conviction in his crackdown on immigrant voters.

A Republican from Italy who’s been here 33 years, has two kids, and passed the citizenship test will pay a $200 fine.

He could also be deported.

Priorities!

That followed sharp corrections

I always love this term when the market crashes. It's a self healing system!
   1000. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: October 11, 2018 at 06:12 PM (#5764848)
flip
Page 10 of 16 pages ‹ First  < 8 9 10 11 12 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Phil Birnbaum
for his generous support.