Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

OTP 2018 September 10: Former executive Neil McMillan reflects on a long career in baseball, politics and mining

Neil McMillan never made it to the big league, but that hasn’t stopped the former politician, financier and mining executive from blaming his success on the time he spent on the pitcher’s mound all those years ago.

“The real difference in my career … has been a function of my attitude, and it starts out as a willingness or a drive to risk failure,” said McMillan, who recently retired from his last job as chairman of the uranium miner Cameco Corp.

Politics was something of a second choice for McMillan, after a physician ended his lifelong dream of flying for the Snowbirds.

After Trudeau-hating voters turfed him out of office — the alternative would have have been to jump ship and run as a Conservative, an idea he wasn’t prepared to indulge — McMillan spent almost two decades working in finance, as a broker.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 11, 2018 at 08:06 AM | 1379 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: canada, off topic, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 14 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›
   101. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 11, 2018 at 01:31 PM (#5742249)
when you definitely did not commit war crimes

I blame Clinton (either) and all the other Corporate Sellout Democrats. Demand perfection!
   102. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: September 11, 2018 at 01:34 PM (#5742250)
It's all about usage fees and taxes. The lifeblood of towns and counties.

I have to have a business license to rent out my other house. Long term rental, not an air B&B type thing. It's only $20/year, but what do I get for it?
   103. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 11, 2018 at 01:34 PM (#5742251)
I blame Clinton (either) and all the other Corporate Sellout Democrats. Demand perfection!

Of all the laughable critiques of Hillary relative to Trump the idea that she was more hawkish and was the "war candidate" takes the cake.
   104. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 11, 2018 at 01:38 PM (#5742256)
103- which military actions that Trump has taken do you believe a Clinton Admin would have opted against?
   105. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 11, 2018 at 01:39 PM (#5742257)
I hope not.
I laughed.

Careful though, Srul, here comes Olivia. Everyone will shrug after the last one didn't do much...
   106. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: September 11, 2018 at 01:39 PM (#5742260)
Of all the laughable critiques of Hillary relative to Trump the idea that she was more hawkish and was the "war candidate" takes the cake.

She wasn't more hawkish than Trump, who is pretty incoherent across the board, but she's definitely from the hawkish end of the political spectrum, and criticism of her as such during the primary (and during her run against Obama, for that matter) was fair.
   107. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 11, 2018 at 01:41 PM (#5742261)
103- which military actions that Trump has taken so you believe a Clinton Admin would have opted against?

Well, for starters, there was this that came out the other day.

The foolishness in Syria with the Russian mercs wouldn't have happened most likely, if you want another.
   108. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: September 11, 2018 at 01:42 PM (#5742262)
103- which military actions that Trump has taken so you believe a Clinton Admin would have opted against?

Just for the sake of argument, there was a story a couple of days ago about one of Trump's subordinates talking him out announcing a withdrawal of servicemen's families stationed in South Korea, which probably would've touched off a shooting war with the North. I'm pretty sure Clinton wouldn't have even considered that.
   109. Greg K Posted: September 11, 2018 at 01:43 PM (#5742263)
One of the few points of consensus among the students in my UN class last year was that the ICC did not have much of a future.

It's probably not a good sign that it's facing third world boycotts and US opposition at the same time.
   110. PreservedFish Posted: September 11, 2018 at 01:44 PM (#5742265)
In a world where Bush's essentially random and unjustifiable decision to attack Iraq is still a recent memory, neither Clinton nor Trump is a "hawk." Clinton seems more likely to do some Kosovo or Libya style stuff. Trump seems more likely to sit out a minor conflict like that, but also more likely to surprise us all with WW3.
   111. Shredder Posted: September 11, 2018 at 01:44 PM (#5742266)
The link is blocked in my workplace.
The Scunthorpe Problem!! They just talked about this on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. It's where websites are blocked because they contain blocked words embedded in otherwise normal or non-offensive words, like the four letter word starting with the second letter in Scunthorpe, which is really just a town in England.
   112. PreservedFish Posted: September 11, 2018 at 01:46 PM (#5742270)
Scunthorpe are reputed to be among the world's worst hooligans - maybe it's better to stay away from their websites.
   113. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: September 11, 2018 at 01:51 PM (#5742271)
Trump seems more likely to sit out a minor conflict like that, but also more likely to surprise us all with WW3.

Nope. He's a bully. Bullies always back down when confronted.
   114. Greg K Posted: September 11, 2018 at 01:53 PM (#5742273)
Trump seems more likely to sit out a minor conflict like that, but also more likely to surprise us all with WW3.

Nope. He's a bully. Bullies always back down when confronted.

An empty bluff can still spark a war. That's one of the dangers of brinksmanship.
   115. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: September 11, 2018 at 01:55 PM (#5742275)
In a world where Bush's essentially random and unjustifiable decision to attack Iraq is still a recent memory, neither Clinton nor Trump is a "hawk."

Clinton voted to authorize it, and Trump publicly supported the invasion in 2002.
   116. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: September 11, 2018 at 01:57 PM (#5742277)
The Scunthorpe Problem!! They just talked about this on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. It's where websites are blocked because they contain blocked words embedded in otherwise normal or non-offensive words, like the four letter word starting with the second letter in Scunthorpe, which is really just a town in England.

Way back in the day, I used to post on a forum that did automatic word substitutions for what it considered to be foul language. It was always funny seeing an ongoing conversation about Sterling Hitchrooster...
   117. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 11, 2018 at 02:03 PM (#5742286)

That's exactly why I read that Times op-ed with a small amount of relief as well as pleasure. Anyone from inside the administration who's trying to stop Trump in his most reckless moments is worthy of praise, not condemnation, even if his or her motivations aren't the best. Nobody in his right mind would use Trump's razor thin election win to justify giving him unilateral power to plunge us into war.

The Emperor not only has no clothes, he's a ####### naked madman.
   118. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: September 11, 2018 at 02:04 PM (#5742288)

Way back in the day, I used to post on a forum that did automatic word substitutions for what it considered to be foul language. It was always funny seeing an ongoing conversation about Sterling Hitchrooster...

I'll take "Catch the Semen" for $800 Alex
   119. PreservedFish Posted: September 11, 2018 at 02:07 PM (#5742289)
Clinton voted to authorize it, and Trump publicly supported the invasion in 2002.

I know. I thought and think that Democratic acquiescence was absolutely shameful, but giving a thumbs up to a President that was gonna bomb #### anyway is not the same as being the guy that imaginatively conceived of, and furiously pushed for, the war.

Trump? Who knows, he has no convictions. I could imagine him being the most violence-averse president we've ever had, and I can imagine him nuking Mecca just for the LOLz.
   120. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 11, 2018 at 02:10 PM (#5742294)

Sigh. The only thing that showed is a typical lack of courage on Clinton's part and that the Bush administration had a more than normal amount of duplicity. It said less than nothing about the relative hawkishness of Clinton vis-à-vis ... well anyone.
   121. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 11, 2018 at 02:11 PM (#5742296)
An empty bluff can still spark a war. That's one of the dangers of brinksmanship.

QFT. Being a cowardly bully is not a positive attribute in a President, really in any scenario.
   122. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: September 11, 2018 at 02:15 PM (#5742299)
Trump? Who knows, he has no convictions.

Trump wanted to assassinate Assad in his first few months in office. He thinks the military works like a goddamned Jack Ryan movie. He's a goddamned idiot.
   123. Omineca Greg Posted: September 11, 2018 at 02:17 PM (#5742301)
The name of the mascot for Scunthorpe United is "The Scunny Bunny".

124. Greg K Posted: September 11, 2018 at 02:23 PM (#5742305)
From the link in #123:
Let me introduce myself to you… My name is Scunny Bunny and I am the world famous mascot of Scunthorpe United.

How this came about I am not 100% sure, one day many years ago I woke up in the terraces of our old stadium, the Old Show Ground.

We have been through some fantastic times on the pitch over the years (and also some not so fantastic ones!)

I have also been a busy bunny off the pitch and have got myself into a few different situations

The Scunny Bunny is perhaps not as wholesome as the name might suggest.

125. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: September 11, 2018 at 02:29 PM (#5742306)
@scottadamssays:
President Trump will be the last human leader the United States will ever have. After him, complex algorithms that humans created but no longer understand will determine our opinions, and those opinions will control politics.
   126. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 11, 2018 at 02:31 PM (#5742309)
   127. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: September 11, 2018 at 02:32 PM (#5742310)

Trump? Who knows, he has no convictions. I could imagine him being the most violence-averse president we've ever had

"I'd like to punch that guy in the face!"

"Rough him up! I'll pay your legal bills!"

"Cops don't need to be so gentle when shoving criminals in the car."

The WWE/CNN-head video

Yeah. Violence-averse...
   128. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: September 11, 2018 at 02:33 PM (#5742312)

I think there was a famous article about Tyson Gay, that changed his last name to Homosexual...
   129. PreservedFish Posted: September 11, 2018 at 02:35 PM (#5742313)
Yeah. Violence-averse...

That was poorly phrased, what I meant is that I could imagine Trump being profoundly isolationist. "Germany stormed Poland? Not my business."
   130. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: September 11, 2018 at 02:43 PM (#5742315)
That was poorly phrased, what I meant is that I could imagine Trump being profoundly isolationist. "Germany stormed Poland? Not my business."

OK. Give you that one.
   131. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: September 11, 2018 at 02:44 PM (#5742317)
This was a very good article:

Yes.
   132. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: September 11, 2018 at 03:00 PM (#5742324)
It said less than nothing about the relative hawkishness of Clinton vis-à-vis ... well anyone.

Personally, I think it's pretty suggestive when paired with her agitation for deeper involvement in Syria and Libya during her time in the Obama administration.
   133. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 11, 2018 at 03:04 PM (#5742327)
Personally, I think it's pretty suggestive when paired with her agitation for deeper involvement in Syria and Libya during her time in the Obama administration.

Hey, I think she is plenty hawkish, but IMO the Authorization vote was all about political CYA combined with Bush administration ... um ... failure to be completely forthright in all the pertinent details.
   134. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 11, 2018 at 03:09 PM (#5742330)
“The House Is Already Lost”: As the Midterms Approach, G.O.P. Insiders Prepare for an Electoral D-Day

Inside the swamp, Republican operatives have already made their peace with losing the House. But the coming Democratic wave won’t affect all Republicans equally, purging moderates and leaving only Trump loyalists behind. The result could be a divided Congress in which Trump, ironically, is more powerful than ever.

Relatively powerful, maybe. The House investigating his nonsense and also the stink of failure and feel of an anchor about their necks might decrease Trump's power just a bit. Even if it doesn't ... good trade.

McConnell Says Senate Republicans Facing a ‘Storm’

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) warned that the midterm elections will be “very challenging” for Republicans, saying that the GOP is facing a “storm” as it tries to hold on to the Senate, The Hill reports.

McConnell said Republicans know the “wind is going to be in our face” with several make-or-break races with tight polling.

Fortunately GOP President Trump can be counted on not to make matters worse ... right?
   135. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 11, 2018 at 03:13 PM (#5742333)
Fortunately GOP President Trump can be counted on not to make matters worse ... right?

He's gonna shut down the government just in time.
   136. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: September 11, 2018 at 03:14 PM (#5742335)
I think there was a famous article about Tyson Gay, that changed his last name to Homosexual...

The OneNewsNow site, run by the American Family Association.

The NFL's online order form for customized jerseys didn't used to allow "Gay" as a valid input, even though there were players with that last name in the league (e.g. Steelers cornerback William Gay).
   137. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: September 11, 2018 at 03:26 PM (#5742343)
The NFL's online order form for customized jerseys didn't used to allow "Gay" as a valid input, even though there were players with that last name in the league (e.g. Steelers cornerback William Gay).

Wonder what Michael Sam thought of that...
   138. dlf Posted: September 11, 2018 at 03:31 PM (#5742346)
We were talking Rum here a few months back and I mentioned my favorite ginger beer to use in a Dark & Stormy, #### and Bull. The word that is nannied is another name for a rooster.
   139. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 11, 2018 at 03:36 PM (#5742349)
The Senate Judiciary Committee has scheduled a vote on Brett Kavanaugh's nomination to the Supreme Court. It's on the calendar for September 13, but Committee rules provide for an automatic 1-week delay upon request, so September 20th is the likely date. A floor vote would come about 7-10 days later.
   140. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: September 11, 2018 at 03:46 PM (#5742361)
Many years ago I worked with a library that had a big part in a state program that was supposed to provide training assistance for medical practitioners in more far-flung areas. Circa 1997 we got some new software that was supposed to help with near-real-time communication with people in the field. In our first test run we had a chat with a nurse in the mountains who was describing an infected wound, describing it with the adjective meaning "filled with pus", which was nannied out for being spelled like another word. (I think this happens here as well: "I thought I saw a ##### cat. I did! I did!") A little experimenting taught us that it also nannied "penis" and "vagina". We went with other software.

Anyway, that's why I once spent an afternoon typing phrases like "penis vagina breasts buttocks" to a 60-year-old nurse practitioner in the mountains.
   141. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: September 11, 2018 at 03:49 PM (#5742365)
Trump just said that the response to the hurricane in Puerto Rico was the most successful response ever, so I guess we can expect 3000+ people to lose their lives in NC later this week.
   142. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: September 11, 2018 at 03:51 PM (#5742366)

Anyway, that's why I once spent an afternoon typing phrases like "penis vagina breasts buttocks" to a 60-year-old nurse practitioner in the mountains.

Oh how I long for those bygone days of Carlos Beltran and Piss Tits...
   143. PreservedFish Posted: September 11, 2018 at 03:51 PM (#5742367)
In our first test run we had a chat with a nurse in the mountains who was describing an infected wound, describing it with the adjective meaning "filled with pus", which was nannied out for being spelled like another word.(I think this happens here as well: "I thought I saw a ##### cat. I did! I did!")

I'm embarrassed for you that you don't recall the baseball-relevant story here:

TAMPA – A mentally shattered Hideki Irabu begged the Yankees to leave him behind in their minor league camp instead of taking him to Los Angeles last night. One hour after George Steinbrenner verbally attacked the beleaguered pitcher for failing to cover first base for the second straight game, Irabu told The Boss he wanted no part of traveling with the World Champions.

After watching Irabu not get to first to take Clay Bellinger’s toss in the ninth inning against the Indians, a livid Steinbrenner added to his legend.

“He looks like a fat, pus-ie [rhymes with fussy] toad out there,” a seething Boss said...
-NY Post, 1999
   144. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 11, 2018 at 03:54 PM (#5742372)
Some anti-Kavanaugh strategy seems to have backfired - Collins Call Crowdfunding To Get Her To Oppose Kavanaugh A Bribe:
Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) says she is not swayed by crowdfunding aimed at encouraging her to oppose Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, comparing the effort to a "bribe."

"I consider this quid pro quo fundraising to be the equivalent of an attempt to bribe me to vote against Judge Kavanaugh," Collins told conservative news outlet Newsmax.
. . .
“If I vote against him, the money is refunded to the donors," Collins said. "If I vote for him, the money is given to my opponent for the 2020 race."

"This effort will not influence my vote at all,” she added. “I think it demonstrates the new lows to which the judge’s opponents have stooped.”

Seems unlikely that Senator Collins will cast her first vote against a Supreme Court nomination by a president of either party in response to an attempted "bribery" by opponents of the nomination.
   145. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 11, 2018 at 03:55 PM (#5742374)
In our first test run we had a chat with a nurse in the mountains who was describing an infected wound, describing it with the adjective meaning "filled with pus" which was nannied out for being spelled like another word.

Who had a problem with "purulent"?
   146. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 11, 2018 at 04:08 PM (#5742383)
Oh wait, was it "suppurating"?
   147. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 11, 2018 at 04:19 PM (#5742388)
Seems unlikely that Senator Collins will cast her first vote against a Supreme Court nomination by a president of either party in response to an attempted "bribery" by opponents of the nomination.
They're idiots. Duh.

What's your point?
   148. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: September 11, 2018 at 04:23 PM (#5742390)
I got burned by spell checker in an early word version. We would still include cc: list available n the memo like in days of old. Anyway in my rush to send out the memo before I left on Friday night, I accidentally did a complete spell check, saved and attached it and hit send. Thank goodness Ursula Meyer had a sense of humor, because her name got changed to Sexual Meter.
   149. DavidFoss Posted: September 11, 2018 at 04:26 PM (#5742393)
What's your point?

Despite the quote saying "This effort will not influence my vote at all", Clapper likes to "own the libs" by trying to find Democratic blame in everything that Republicans do. If only Democrats were nicer and more deferential, then maybe the Republicans wouldn't be so Republican.
   150. zenbitz Posted: September 11, 2018 at 04:28 PM (#5742395)
Shorter @144 - all campaign donations are bribes.
   151. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 11, 2018 at 04:35 PM (#5742400)
I got burned by spell checker in an early word version.

Many years ago I belonged to a group with the acronym RPSIG. A new leadership group came in an in their very first newsletter they spellchecked blindly and without proofreading sent it out.

The spellchecker decided "RPSIG" was really "rapist".

The next meeting was tremendously amusing for many of us- not the poor guy* in charge of the newsletter, but you know, the rest of us.

* I cut him some slack because he was a college freshmen who got stuck with the task with very little mentoring.
   152. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: September 11, 2018 at 04:36 PM (#5742402)
If only Democrats were nicer and more deferential, then maybe the Republicans wouldn't be so Republican

Exactly. It's just more gaming the refs. The horrible thing is that it works.
   153. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: September 11, 2018 at 04:37 PM (#5742405)
If only Democrats were nicer and more deferential, then maybe the Republicans wouldn't be so Republican.

The Democrats need to court and listen more to people like this gentleman, who possesses a similar good thinking brain to those on the extreme right that post here.
   154. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 11, 2018 at 04:38 PM (#5742406)
If only Democrats were nicer and more deferential, then maybe the Republicans wouldn't be so Republican.

Yeah, the effort hardly backfired, because to do so she would have ben possibly leaning towards not blindly following the GOP party line. Of course everyone realizes that was never on the table though.

I must admit, in the unlikely advent the Democrats do take over the Senate, Clapper outrage regarding Senate confirmations promises to be pretty darn funny.
   155. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 11, 2018 at 04:42 PM (#5742414)
They're idiots. Duh. What's your point?

Isn't that sufficient?
   156. Srul Itza Posted: September 11, 2018 at 04:52 PM (#5742421)
Careful though, Srul, here comes Olivia.

Just a Tropical Storm. People here have prepper fatigue now.
   157. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 11, 2018 at 04:52 PM (#5742422)
So, "look, idiots!" passes as substantive content? Good to know.

As long as you're not implying any sort of "idiot by association" nonsense, because that's not OK.
   158. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 11, 2018 at 04:54 PM (#5742426)
@realDonaldTrump Sep 10

The GDP Rate (4.2%) is higher than the Unemployment Rate (3.9%) for the first time in over 100 years!
Look, an idiot!
   159. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 11, 2018 at 05:03 PM (#5742431)
Look, an idiot!
The president, asked what lessons could be learned from Puerto Rico, called the response to that devastating storm an "unsung success." The governor of Puerto Rico recently revised the death toll as a result of that storm from 64 to 2,975, and many residents were without power for months.

"I actually think it was one of the best jobs that's ever been done with respect to what this is all about," Mr. Trump said Tuesday
Mr. Trump claimed the U.S. is prepared for Hurricane Florence, which he described as "tremendously big and tremendously wet."
Well, he's not wrong on the last bit, I suppose.
   160. Ray (CTL) Posted: September 11, 2018 at 05:06 PM (#5742433)
Mom reportedly killed husband at Walmart amid custody battle

By Tamar Lapin
September 11, 2018

A mother of three from Louisiana gunned down her estranged husband in the parking lot of a Walmart while their three children watched, cops said.

Kayla Coutee, 31, is facing murder charges in the second-degree for the Saturday morning shooting, according to Alexandria Police.

She allegedly killed her husband, Thomas Coutee Jr., 30, after agreeing to meet him at a Walmart to exchange custody of their children — ages 7, 5 and 2.

Kayla pumped a single round into Thomas’ chest and then sat and waited for police to arrive, cops said.

I would like to get a hold of her in the police cruiser on her way to the station and be like, "This is why we said you couldn't have custody."
   161. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 11, 2018 at 05:13 PM (#5742440)
Look, an idiot! (Wayback Edition!) This was a year or so after Putin took over Crimea:
“He’s not going into Ukraine, OK? Just so you understand. He’s not going to go into Ukraine, alright? You can mark it down and you can put it down, you can take it anywhere you want.”
Hah, hah, I could do this all day!
   162. Chicago Joe Posted: September 11, 2018 at 05:14 PM (#5742441)
160: seems like they had joint custody.
   163. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: September 11, 2018 at 05:18 PM (#5742443)
160: seems like they had joint custody.

if one of them had custody of a joint, perhaps cooler heads would have prevailed
   164. Chicago Joe Posted: September 11, 2018 at 05:24 PM (#5742444)
She lit him up instead of the joint.
   165. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 11, 2018 at 05:34 PM (#5742450)
That Dallas cop is gonna get away with murder, right? They’re already setting the stage for a no-indictment.
   166. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 11, 2018 at 05:38 PM (#5742452)
Here’s her arrest warrant. Is it normal to describe the events the exact way a defense attorney would?
   167. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: September 11, 2018 at 05:45 PM (#5742454)
Is it normal to describe the events the exact way a defense attorney would?

That is awful. "Geyger believed she was in her apartment..."

No. She SAID she believed she was in her apartment (and she may have believed it), but the police can't know what she actually believed.
   168. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 11, 2018 at 05:46 PM (#5742455)
That Dallas cop is gonna get away with murder, right? They’re already setting the stage for a no-indictment.

wait, is that the Rangers' warrant?
   169. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 11, 2018 at 05:47 PM (#5742456)
What are the manslaughter statutes in Texas? I suspect that's how this'll play out.
   170. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: September 11, 2018 at 05:51 PM (#5742458)
The whole Dallas cop thing is so bizarre. Having watched more episodes of Snapped than I care to admit, the only thing that makes any sense is that this was some sort of spurned lover situation. Nothing else makes logical sense.

Any word yet whether or not she had been drinking? If not, then the mistaken apartment claim makes even less sense.
   171. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: September 11, 2018 at 05:55 PM (#5742459)
If not, then the mistaken apartment claim makes even less sense.

Nah, she just worked a 15 hour shift, I thought. Fatigue is as bad as being drunk.
   172. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 11, 2018 at 06:02 PM (#5742462)
Maybe I'm nuts, and I'm *not* defending her, but I can totally see this happening as an accident. Apartment (or hotel) hallways all look alike. You get off on the wrong floor for some reason (like, being tired), and don't notice. You think your door has been tampered with, you go onto alert, you see some dark shape in "your" apartment, and adrenaline takes over.

Don't get me wrong, it's tragic, and she bears 100% responsibility for what happened. But it's pretty easy to imagine a scenario where it's just a f*ckup, and not something more sinister. Which it still might be.
   173. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 11, 2018 at 06:03 PM (#5742463)

I wouldn't be so sure of that. I'm not familiar with the Texas homicide statute, but my guess is that the difficulty is figuring out whether she meets the mens rea requirement for various type of murder or manslaughter. Apparently there is some evidence that she thought she was entering her own apartment - she lives directly below and her key was reportedly found in the door. That's not sufficient to get her off the hook, except for premeditated murder, but her mental state might depend on the results of the drug & alcohol test, which haven't been reported AFAIK. It's a mistake to assume that delays in figuring out precisely what charge to bring always means that no charges will be brought.
   174. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: September 11, 2018 at 06:04 PM (#5742464)
Maybe I'm nuts, and I'm *not* defending her, but I can totally see this happening as an accident. Apartment (or hotel) hallways all look alike. You get off on the wrong floor for some reason (like, being tired), and don't notice. You think your door has been tampered with, you go onto alert, you see some dark shape in "your" apartment, and adrenaline takes over.

Don't get me wrong, it's tragic, and she bears 100% responsibility for what happened. But it's pretty easy to imagine a scenario where it's just a f*ckup, and not something more sinister. Which it still might be.

Were the lights out? If not, how do you not notice that "your" furniture is all different than the last time you saw it?
   175. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: September 11, 2018 at 06:09 PM (#5742467)
OK, just read an article published today. So she claims the front door was ajar and she thought someone was burglarizing the unlit apartment. That's plausible, except there's been mentions that she was trying to get in with her key prior to shooting.
   176. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 11, 2018 at 06:11 PM (#5742468)
OK, just read an article published today. So she claims the front door was ajar and she thought someone was burglarizing the unlit apartment. That's plausible, except there's been mentions that she was trying to get in with her key prior to shooting.

She was drunk. That's my occam's razor explanation. She was drunk and trigger happy. Throw the book at her.
   177. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 11, 2018 at 06:15 PM (#5742472)
170- Cop got home after a long day, and she just wants to get some sleep....but that god-damn n-n-n-neighbor who lives above her is stomping his god damn feel and playing his god damn CRAP music again. She is soooo sick of his ####. She’s complained to management a dozen times, but of course they’re too PC to evict a black tenant so nothing gets done.

Well #### that. She’s still in her uniform, she’s gonna take care of this herself. She runs upstairs and pounds on his door. While she’s waiting she starts thinking like a cop, trying to come up with a legal justification for her to be there, in case this guy is one of the uppity ones. She decides she’ll say she smelled marijuana, that one has worked in the past. But really, she can’t imagine it’ll go that far, she’ll just order him to be quiet, he’ll submit to her authority, and then she can go to sleep in peace.

He opens. “Hey! It’s 10:30 at night, people are trying to get some sleep, turn down that ####### jungle music!”

But this doesn’t have the desired effect. “What are you doing here? Get the hell out of my house.” And he goes to shut the door.

Big mistake. She stops it with her foot, and then shoves it open and steps inside. “Put your hands up, you’re under arrest for assaulting a police officer. Get down on the ground. SLOWLY.” But our guy ain’t having it. “Are you for real? This is MY HOUSE and I haven’t done anything! You can’t arrest me! Just get the #### out of my house you crazy white #####!”

And she snaps. And shoots him twice. And the coverup begins almost immediately. (It’s why she calls 911 on her cell phone rather than radio-ing it into dispatch.) While she’s waiting for EMS to show up she comes up with a story and proceeds to spend the weekend smoothing our the rough edges. And of course her friends on the force are all too eager to help.
   178. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 11, 2018 at 06:16 PM (#5742473)
Submit it to the New Yorker's fiction section. Maybe they'll send you a nice rejection letter.
   179. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 11, 2018 at 06:19 PM (#5742474)
Were the lights out? If not, how do you not notice that "your" furniture is all different than the last time you saw it?
Did you read the chargers? Yes, it was dark. She went to put her cardkey in the door opener thingy and realized the door was ajar. Pushed the door open and saw a dark shape in a dark hallway.
She was drunk. That's my occam's razor explanation. She was drunk and trigger happy. Throw the book at her.
They say sleep driving is like drunk driving. I'm fine with treating her the same way you'd treat a drunk driver that killed somebody - she has a responsibility to exercise caution regarding her weapon, just like getting behind a wheel.

ETA: #177 is, of course, a *possible* scenario. It's also possible that the SBB/Rickey! ticket will sweep to victory for the Libertarian Party in 2020.

180. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 11, 2018 at 06:28 PM (#5742476)
With Kavanaugh's confirmation approaching, time for a Judicial Nominations Update:
Current & future vacancies: 179
Supreme Court: 1
Courts of Appeals: 18
District/Specialty Courts: 160

Pending nominees: 78
Courts of Appeals: 10
District/Specialty Courts: 67

Court of Appeals Nominees Awaiting Senate Judiciary Committee Hearings: 6; Court of Appeals Nominees Awaiting Senate Judiciary Committee Votes: 3

Nominees Awaiting Senate Floor Votes: 30
Courts of Appeals: 1
District/Specialty Courts: 29

Nominees Confirmed: 68
Courts of Appeals: 26
District/Specialty Courts: 41

In addition to Kavanaugh, the Senate is likely to confirm the Court of Appeals nominee currently waiting a floor vote and the non-controversial 2nd Circuit nominee waiting on a Committee vote that is part of a package deal with the NY Senators, along with some of the District Court nominees, for a total ~ 80 judges confirmed since Trump took office. If there is a post-election Senate session, the number might hit ~ 100, or more.
   181. Ray (CTL) Posted: September 11, 2018 at 06:33 PM (#5742478)
<deleted because my legal analysis was jumbled and I don't have time to fix it.>
   182. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: September 11, 2018 at 06:34 PM (#5742479)
Did you read the chargers? Yes, it was dark. She went to put her cardkey in the door opener thingy and realized the door was ajar. Pushed the door open and saw a dark shape in a dark hallway.

But how does that make the slightest bit of sense? How often have you been in your own home, stumbling around in the dark, not turning on a light, and leaving the front door open? I can't come up with a single scenario where I would end up in that situation.
   183. Swoboda is freedom Posted: September 11, 2018 at 06:37 PM (#5742481)
But how does that make the slightest bit of sense? How often have you been n

Maybe if you just got home, carried in some groceries, you might have left the door open, but not in the dark. You turn the light n when you come in. 10:30 at night?
   184. McCoy Posted: September 11, 2018 at 06:38 PM (#5742482)
You broke it, didn't you?

185. McCoy Posted: September 11, 2018 at 06:39 PM (#5742483)
doh

Bastard
   186. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: September 11, 2018 at 06:42 PM (#5742487)
Meh. My occam's razor says strap a weapon to someone and have them walk around with it 24/7 and they'll shoot dead some innocent bystander soon enough.

Ya know, if all you posted was stuff like this you wouldn't be half bad.
   187. McCoy Posted: September 11, 2018 at 06:45 PM (#5742489)
There is currently conflicting accounts of what happened. One story is that she found the door ajar and thought it was a burglary. Of course he had a distinctive red doormat while she had none. The other story is that she was trying to open the door with her key. It didn't open and the guy opened the door to see what she was doing. There was some yelling and immediately afterwards shots fired.
   188. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 11, 2018 at 06:46 PM (#5742490)
But how does that make the slightest bit of sense? How often have you been in your own home, stumbling around in the dark, not turning on a light, and leaving the front door open? I can't come up with a single scenario where I would end up in that situation.
She wasn't inside. She was at the door, thinking it was her door, noticing it was ajar, and maybe thinking "crap, someone's in my apartment!" It's dark in there, maybe just a nondescript hallway, nothing to differentiate it as not being yours (in the dark). (Accepting the premise that she thinks it's her floor.)

Again, I'm all for treating her as a drunk driver, for being negligent in not realizing she was on the wrong floor. But if you take her at face value^ it's an entirely reasonable (yet tragic) scenario.

^ I'm in line with everything Ray says in #181. Except for the plant thing.
   189. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: September 11, 2018 at 06:49 PM (#5742491)
Negligence is pretty much the opposite of reasonableness, at least legally speaking.
   190. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 11, 2018 at 06:50 PM (#5742492)
Of course he had a distinctive red doormat while she had none. The other story is that she was trying to open the door with her key. It didn't open and the guy opened the door to see what she was doing. There was some yelling and immediately afterwards shots fired.
If either of those has any legs, then she's in a lot bigger trouble, and should be.

The warrant says "she inserted a unique door key, with an electronic chip, into the door key hole. The door, which was slightly ajar prior to Guyger's arrival, fully opened under the force of the key insertion." Which I find reasonable, although the distinctive red doormat caveat would lend itself against the "similar hallway" scenario.
Negligence is pretty much the opposite of reasonableness, at least legally speaking.
Well, yes. I'm using "reasonable" to mean "sounds plausible"; not in any legal sense. "Believable"?
   191. McCoy Posted: September 11, 2018 at 06:55 PM (#5742494)
I believe there has been two documents out in regards to this and they have differing accounts. There is an article out there that goes into detail about this and how the Dallas media seems to be on the cops side and isn't really doing a good job seriously looking into it.
   192. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: September 11, 2018 at 06:59 PM (#5742495)
Another person who supposedly lives in the building posted a video showing her using the key to open the door and then how the door shuts completely when you let go of it.
   193. McCoy Posted: September 11, 2018 at 07:06 PM (#5742496)
Sounds like my old apartment. Locked myself out twice because of that.
   194. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 11, 2018 at 07:14 PM (#5742497)
Well duh. She went up there and murdered him and the cops have been protecting her ever since.

These aren’t good people we’re talking about, these are cops.
   195. Howie Menckel Posted: September 11, 2018 at 07:24 PM (#5742498)
I live in a 4-story condo complex, and twice have - while sober and not late at night - absent-mindedly gotten off on the wrong floor and walked to "my" condo and tried to get the key into the lock.

each floor looks the same. glad no one came to the door either time - and especially glad I wasn't this lady's neighbor!

but our hallways are well-lit 24/7, and my door couldn't be "a jar" unless something was propping it open.
   196. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 11, 2018 at 07:25 PM (#5742499)
   197. McCoy Posted: September 11, 2018 at 07:29 PM (#5742501)
Hell, just the other day I spent several seconds trying to get the wrong hotel door to open.
   198. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 11, 2018 at 07:29 PM (#5742502)

177 is batshit crazy, of course. She committed murder, but there is zero evidence for that scenario. The neighbors have talked to the press, and not one of them suggested anything about the guy playing loud music, then or any other time. Her being drunk is far more plausible.
   199. Dog on the sidewalk Posted: September 11, 2018 at 07:31 PM (#5742504)
I know someone who tried to enter the wrong house once. He was very, very, very, very, very drunk.
   200. Dog on the sidewalk Posted: September 11, 2018 at 07:37 PM (#5742506)
177 is batshit crazy

It was a Davo post, after all.
Page 2 of 14 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
dirk
for his generous support.