Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

OTP 2018 September 10: Former executive Neil McMillan reflects on a long career in baseball, politics and mining

Neil McMillan never made it to the big league, but that hasn’t stopped the former politician, financier and mining executive from blaming his success on the time he spent on the pitcher’s mound all those years ago.

“The real difference in my career … has been a function of my attitude, and it starts out as a willingness or a drive to risk failure,” said McMillan, who recently retired from his last job as chairman of the uranium miner Cameco Corp.

Politics was something of a second choice for McMillan, after a physician ended his lifelong dream of flying for the Snowbirds.

After Trudeau-hating voters turfed him out of office — the alternative would have have been to jump ship and run as a Conservative, an idea he wasn’t prepared to indulge — McMillan spent almost two decades working in finance, as a broker.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 11, 2018 at 08:06 AM | 1379 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: canada, off topic, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 11 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 9 10 11 12 13 >  Last ›
   1001. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 14, 2018 at 02:34 PM (#5744484)
Phillops.
   1002. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 14, 2018 at 02:34 PM (#5744485)
Rich ass catholic kid gets a little rapey at a HS party? It's a baseless smear! What David really wants to say is that for rich, powerful white men it shouldn't matter one bit what happened with this girl.

Wonder why she doesn't want her name to come out...
   1003. DavidFoss Posted: September 14, 2018 at 02:35 PM (#5744486)
The Marquis de Sade was the first libertarian.

Libertarian... liberal... libertine... what could the differences possibly be?
   1004. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: September 14, 2018 at 02:36 PM (#5744487)
Libertarian... liberal... libertine...

... Liberace ...
   1005. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 14, 2018 at 02:38 PM (#5744489)

Rich ass catholic kid gets a little rapey at a HS party?
Sounds pretty much like the Duke Lacrosse hoax: the alleged perpetrators fit the stereotype of the sort of people you dislike, so they're probably guilty. I mean, women don't lie to begin with, we know that. And there's loads of evidence here. So it must be true.
   1006. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 14, 2018 at 02:40 PM (#5744490)
I'm a bit puzzled at the notion that Feinstein's sin is that she failed to spread unsubstantiated smears more widely, rather than that she strategically leaked them.

Let's assume the accounts are generally accurate: Feinstein received a letter making heinous, but unproven and likely unprovable, accusations, from someone who refused to come forward. What would a person in DiFi's situation, acting in good faith, do? Obviously try to convince the letter writer to come forward. But if the person won't, what's left? Out the letter writer against the letter writer's wishes? Publish a fully anonymous smear?

I think she's got some questions to answer... I mean, the fact that she wrote the letter must mean there is SOME degree of willingness to come forward. I'm guessing that DiFi told her things would get ugly... or maybe she told her "well, it was back in HS so it won't matter."

Who knows.
   1007. tshipman Posted: September 14, 2018 at 02:41 PM (#5744491)
Sounds pretty much like the Duke Lacrosse hoax: the alleged perpetrators fit the stereotype of the sort of people you dislike, so they're probably guilty. I mean, women don't lie to begin with, we know that. And there's loads of evidence here. So it must be true.

No. No one here has taken the position that it must be true.

It's a very serious allegation that deserves to be investigated in more detail. Also, the person making the allegation has rights, and if she is telling the truth, experienced something that quite seriously traumatized her. Given that we don't know the truth, it's abhorrent to jump to smearing a potential victim and minimizing the charge against Kavanaugh.
   1008. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 14, 2018 at 02:43 PM (#5744492)

I like how "duke lacrosse" has turned into "women lie about sexual assault ALL THE TIME" among a certain subset.
   1009. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 14, 2018 at 02:50 PM (#5744495)

No. No one here has taken the position that it must be true.
You mean, other than the people calling him a rapist?
   1010. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 14, 2018 at 02:51 PM (#5744496)
And yet Kavanaugh and the GOP had a well coordinated response that included 65 women who went to school with him vouching for him.

The women are saying they were contacted yesterday, and had no problem quickly signing on to the letter.

The New McCarthyism: "I hold in my hand a letter from an anonymous individual of unknown credibility, who refuses to repeat her allegations in public or under oath, alleging misconduct by high schoolers 35+ years ago, which the other alleged participants all deny, and with no aspect of the story corroborated by a single witness or document. To even attempt to deny or rebut this letter is just a further indication of guilt."

Just out of curiosity, will this be the standard employed when the next Democratic President nominates a Suprme Court Justice?
   1011. BrianBrianson Posted: September 14, 2018 at 02:51 PM (#5744497)
I presume there's a White House gym

Or as Trump calls it, the White House James ...
   1012. perros Posted: September 14, 2018 at 02:51 PM (#5744498)
Libertarian... liberal... libertine... what could the differences possibly be?

Picking up on David's pedantic defense tactics? For Nice.

Libertarians believe the rich should be able to do as they please without gov't interference. Usually this applies to wage slavery and environmental rapery, but obviously extends to the privatization of sexual misconduct.

As for liberals, literal-minded, hand-wringing foolishness is the order of the day.
   1013. zenbitz Posted: September 14, 2018 at 02:54 PM (#5744500)
Feinstein has no morals, and no shame.

Just like Trump.

Ray, you are not always wrong, but this is very, very wrong. DiFi has the integrity of a typical senator; i.e., not much.

But Trump is qualitatively different.
   1014. JL72 Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:00 PM (#5744502)
The women are saying they were contacted yesterday, and had no problem quickly signing on to the letter.

Not seeing how this helps your point. That they were able to contact all 65 within a day sure suggests the GOP was ready for this possibility.
   1015. perros Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:00 PM (#5744503)
One of the delightful things about OTP is how white male privilege can never really be called into account amongst the white male privileged. So we get to see our resident piggies wallow in defense of things they'd never exhibit in mixed company, or in the flesh.

Since there's nothing to be done about Kavenaugh, we should lie back and relax, realizing that Kavenaugh will be just one more privileged man in a long line of Supreme Court scumbags.
   1016. tshipman Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:01 PM (#5744505)

Noticeably, no one has done that. The closest is 1002, which is characterizing the Republican response has attempted to minimize the allegations and discredit the potential victim.
   1017. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:03 PM (#5744506)

It's a very serious allegation that deserves to be investigated in more detail.
How would one do that, exactly, without the supposed accuser actually being willing to come forward? I mean, I agree that if serious charges are made, an investigation would be appropriate, but there does not seem to me to be any way to conduct such a thing under these circumstances.

At least if the woman came forward publicly, you could try. You could see if she told people at the time, you could find out where it supposedly happened and try to find a corroborating witness (though... 36 years? High school?) But as is, where do you go? Of course, according to the articles, DiFi has known about this since July. If one wanted legitimately to investigate, one would start then, not wait until after the hearings were over with the vote just a week or two away.
Also, the person making the allegation has rights, and if she is telling the truth, experienced something that quite seriously traumatized her. Given that we don't know the truth, it's abhorrent to jump to smearing a potential victim and minimizing the charge against Kavanaugh.
Normally, the person being accused is the one who has rights. Given that we don't know the truth, it's abhorrent to jump to smearing Kavanaugh (how can one smear a completely anonymous person?) and giving credence to the pseudo-charge against him.

1018. tshipman Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:05 PM (#5744507)
Normally, the person being accused is the one who has rights.

Right, but because of people like you who smear victims, we also protect accusers of sexual misconduct. Because false accusations are extremely rare, but character assassination is extremely common.

At least if the woman came forward publicly, you could try. You could see if she told people at the time, you could find out where it supposedly happened and try to find a corroborating witness (though... 36 years? High school?) But as is, where do you go? Of course, according to the articles, DiFi has known about this since July. If one wanted legitimately to investigate, one would start then, not wait until after the hearings were over with the vote just a week or two away.

Gosh, it's almost like you would refer this to the FBI to investigate further.
   1019. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:06 PM (#5744508)

Not seeing how this helps your point. That they were able to contact all 65 within a day sure suggests the GOP was ready for this possibility.
It suggests that they were ready for the possibility of needing character witnesses for him. Which is hardly an unlikely possibility in this era. Doesn't mean that they knew about this specific allegation.
   1020. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:06 PM (#5744509)
Libertarians believe the rich should be able to do as they please without gov't interference.
Nope. Look up the NAP.
   1021. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:10 PM (#5744512)
It suggests that they were ready for the possibility of needing character witnesses for him. Which is hardly an unlikely possibility in this era.

Indeed - always a good idea to have your character witnesses lined up and ready to testify at your sentencing, just in case.
   1022. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:11 PM (#5744513)

Noticeably, no one has done that. The closest is 1002,
Closest, as in actually doing it, yeah. Of course, he also did it in 698, yesterday, before the New Yorker piece even came out. And let's not forget Davo in 699 and 768. And YR adopting the charge in 705 and 723.

which is characterizing the Republican response has attempted to minimize the allegations and discredit the potential victim.
How could anyone discredit someone who is both anonymous and not making any accusation?
   1023. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:11 PM (#5744514)
Ray, you are not always wrong,

Assumes facts not in evidence.
   1024. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:13 PM (#5744516)

By the way, let nobody accuse me of being 100% perfect: it was Kamala Harris who did the "Are you sure you didn't talk to anyone at Kasowitz? Really? Are you positive? Because I have evidence which I won't share with anyone" shtick, not DiFi.
   1025. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:15 PM (#5744519)
Gosh, it's almost like you would refer this to the FBI to investigate further.
As I just noted, if they wanted someone to investigate it, they'd have passed it along two months ago, rather than waiting until now.

And the FBI is not a magic agency with time travel and stuff. They don't have any way to find out what anonymous high school students did 35 years ago either.
   1026. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:16 PM (#5744520)
DiFi should have held a press conference the day she received the letter and shouted its contents from the hills. Keep Making Republicans Defend Rapists. Never stop reminding people that the GOP is the party that defends powerful men and attacks their rape victims; that the GOP is the party of Trump and and Bill O’Reilly and Jim Jordan and Roger Ailes and Alan Dershowitz and Roy Moore.

This is the easiest ####### lay-up in the world. And she bricked it.
   1027. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:17 PM (#5744521)
Because false accusations are extremely rare, but character assassination is extremely common.

False accusations of rape are 5 times more prevalent than for most other types of crimes, and that doesn't count instances where consent is disputed. The claim that women never lie, or seldom lie, isn't true. Women lie as much as men.
   1028. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:17 PM (#5744522)
If the woman doesn't want to make it public, that would be reason enough for Feinstein to respect her wish. But whatever the woman decides should be respected by all concerned, whatever her reasons.

There are plenty of reasons to oppose Kavanaugh's nomination, but unless something more substantive emerges about this incident, this isn't one of them.

My guess would be that she's familiar with the name "Anita Hill"

That's entirely possible, although I'm pretty sure that today she'd find a lot more support than Ms. Hill did in 1991. I'd like to think that at least the Democrats have learned their lessons from that sorry episode.

But the point remains: Unless and until she's ready to go public, there's no way to judge whatever she may or may not have said about Kavanaugh. I don't see how anyone can get around that. Much as I want to see Kavanaugh's nomination go down, for Feinstein to leak that letter against the woman's wishes would be a serious act of betrayal.
   1029. JL72 Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:18 PM (#5744523)
It suggests that they were ready for the possibility of needing character witnesses for him. Which is hardly an unlikely possibility in this era. Doesn't mean that they knew about this specific allegation.

Character witnesses from back in high school? Which, from your earlier post, you seem to call into question:

You could see if she told people at the time, you could find out where it supposedly happened and try to find a corroborating witness (though... 36 years? High school?)
   1030. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:19 PM (#5744524)
False accusations of rape are 5 times more prevalent than for other crimes, and that doesn't count instances where consent is disputed. The claim that women never lie, or seldom lie, isn't true. Women lie as much as men.

Just because you're well-practiced in defending your Dear Leader, Roy Moore, and anyone else with an (R) by their name against this sort of stuff doesn't exactly lend you the credibility necessary to make up statistics and think anyone will believe you.
   1031. perros Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:22 PM (#5744526)
Nope. Look up the NAP.

Your first defense wasn't that the accusation wouldn't hold up in a court of law, but that Kavenaugh's alleged actions didn't amount to criminal conduct.
   1032. Swoboda is freedom Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:23 PM (#5744528)

There is no way they knew about this allegation. He had been vetted multiple times for judgeships and positions in the government. The only way to know about this was if he admitted it or if they talked to the woman in the incident. If either of those happened, they wouldn't have chosen him. There are too many other fungible candidates.

I am not saying anything about the truthfulness of the story.
   1033. DavidFoss Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:25 PM (#5744529)
Character witnesses from back in high school?

This part of the story seems really weird at first glance but it could be something simple like an alumni group on facebook or something. The HS is in the DC area. It's not that big of a world.
   1034. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:29 PM (#5744533)
Dirtball report from RCP: DeSantis trails Gillum by 6% in latest poll.

Whose poll? Rasmussen's.
The first Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey of the race finds that Gillum earns 48% support to DeSantis’ 42% among Likely Florida Voters. Two percent (2%) prefer some other candidate, and eight percent (8%) are undecided. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

Among voters who say they are certain to vote in the upcoming election, Gillum leads 49% to 44%.

1035. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:29 PM (#5744534)
That's entirely possible, although I'm pretty sure that today she'd find a lot more support than Ms. Hill did in 1991. I'd like to think that at least the Democrats have learned their lessons from that sorry episode.

Perhaps - but the problem for Hill wasn't really lack of support... it was stuff like the Oklahoma legislature essentially threatening to revoke her employer's charter if they didn't fire her... Or Virginia Thomas still harassing her 20 years later.

Just look at Clapper's defenses of Creeper Moore and his attacks on the children Moore molested - more people willing to say "I believe you" doesn't change the existence of people like Clapper and what they'd do.
   1036. perros Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:31 PM (#5744536)
Keep Making Republicans Defend Rapists.

That's what's happening. It's to Feinstein's credit if she put this woman's life and well-being over politics.
   1037. JL72 Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:33 PM (#5744537)
This part of the story seems really weird at first glance but it could be something simple like an alumni group on facebook or something. The HS is in the DC area. It's not that big of a world.

Perhaps. But I find getting 65 to sign on in such a short time is curious.
   1038. perros Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:33 PM (#5744538)

Among voters who say they are certain to vote in the upcoming election, Gillum leads 49% to 44%.

I'm not willing to bet Flordia will elect a Black governor, but here's hoping I'm wrong.
   1039. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:34 PM (#5744539)
False accusations of rape are 5 times more prevalent than for other crimes, and that doesn't count instances where consent is disputed. The claim that women never lie, or seldom lie, isn't true. Women lie as much as men.

Just because you're well-practiced in defending your Dear Leader, Roy Moore, and anyone else with an (R) by their name against this sort of stuff doesn't exactly lend you the credibility necessary to make up statistics and think anyone will believe you.

Zonk's always willing to go for the cheap smear as long as it's directed at someone with opposing poltical views, but facts are facts:
According to the data provided by the FBI, between 4,400 and 5,100 allegations of rape every year were deemed false or baseless after investigation, out of 87,000 to 90,000 total, corresponding to an average of 5.55%. That was at least five times higher than for most other offence types. Cases of disputed consent were not included in the results as they were subject to judicial review in court.

Of course, according to the published reports, the letter doesn't accuse Kavanaugh of rape.
   1040. JL72 Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:34 PM (#5744540)
There is no way they knew about this allegation. He had been vetted multiple times for judgeships and positions in the government.

My guess is that it was not known during prior hearings, but leaked out of Feinstein's office prior to it hitting the media.
   1041. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:38 PM (#5744542)
but facts are facts:

In the US, FBI reports from 1995, 1996, and 1997 consistently put the number of "unfounded" forcible rape accusations around 8%. In contrast, the average rate of unfounded reports for all "index crimes" (murder, aggravated assault, forcible rape, robbery, arson, burglary, larceny-theft, and motor vehicle theft) tracked by the FBI is 2%.[30][31][32] This estimate, however, does not appear in subsequent FBI reports.[33][34][35] This estimate was criticised by academic Bruce Gross as almost meaningless as many jurisdictions from which FBI collects data use different definition of "unfounded", which, he wrote, includes cases where the victim did not physically fight off the suspect or the suspect did not use a weapon, and cases where the victim had a prior relationship to the suspect

I should have known - we're talking about "forcible rape" I guess.
   1042. dlf Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:41 PM (#5744543)

Hmmm. As maybe 2-3 people here should know, I take issue with this. Strongly.
   1043. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:42 PM (#5744545)
I would assume it’s kinda an open secret in DC which politicos are the rapists, and Kavanaugh was one of them, so his team got this letter made and set it aside just in case.
   1044. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:44 PM (#5744547)

That's because you're not objective like Ray.
   1045. Greg K Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:44 PM (#5744548)
I would assume it’s kinda an open secret in DC which politicos are the rapists, and Kavanaugh was one of them, so his team got this letter made and set it aside just in case.

That seems odd though. I may be wrong, but isn't Kavanaugh one of many interchangeable options for a Republican President? Surely if this is known you pick someone else.
   1046. Lassus Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:44 PM (#5744549)

DLF, the source should be taken into serious consideration here.
   1047. Traderdave Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:45 PM (#5744550)
Hmmm. As maybe 2-3 people here should know, I take issue with this. Strongly

Diane L. Feinstein posts in OTP!

We've finally hit the big time.
   1048. Lassus Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:48 PM (#5744552)
Primey!
   1049. Tony S Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:49 PM (#5744553)
DeSantis trails Gillum by 6% in latest poll.

Now I didn't expect this. Wow, he might even drag Nelson across the finish line with him if these numbers hold up.

Guess the word "socialism" isn't the trigger it used to be.

1050. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:49 PM (#5744556)
1045- Normally, sure. But Trump made the choice. He doesn’t care about rape allegations. Hell, along with Kavanaugh’s obvious corrupted-ness, it’s probably a point in Kavanaugh’s favor.
   1051. perros Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:50 PM (#5744557)

Feinstein should retire out, but she's shown a lot of political gumption over the years.
   1052. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:50 PM (#5744558)
Because false accusations are extremely rare,
This is ideology, nothing more.
   1053. Tony S Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:52 PM (#5744559)
Feinstein should retire out, but she's shown a lot of political gumption over the years.

Gumption? She's the queen of the Strongly Worded Letter.

A lot of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
   1054. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:54 PM (#5744560)
Character witnesses from back in high school? Which, from your earlier post, you seem to call into question:
No; I called into question the likelihood of finding percipient witnesses, not character witnesses.
   1055. dlf Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:54 PM (#5744561)
Feinstein should retire out

Absolutely!
   1056. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:56 PM (#5744564)
@LamarWhiteJr
At 2 in the morning, hundreds of Ted Cruz supporters all woke up to issue the same exact statement on Twitter. Nothing suspicious about this. Nope. These are all just proud, patriotic American citizens, all deep in the heart of Texas.
   1057. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 14, 2018 at 03:57 PM (#5744565)
YC citing wiki as a source, #### doesn't pass muster at state school undergrad buddy! Look at the "sources" on the wiki page, old ass studies by obscure researchers.
   1058. Tony S Posted: September 14, 2018 at 04:04 PM (#5744568)
These are all just proud, patriotic American citizens, all deep in the heart of Texas.

Well, if you define "patriotism" in terms of virtue-signaling in the form of public stage gestures, I suppose they are very patriotic.

Snark aside, Cruz' internal polls must not be too good if he has to work on rallying his base.

I still expect Beto to lose -- the gun thing is just too steep a hill to climb in Texas -- but anything that makes the GOP spend resources on a "lock" like Texas is worth it...

1059. perros Posted: September 14, 2018 at 04:05 PM (#5744569)
I take issue with Feinstein on any number of issues, particularly NSA, but she's a flak-catcher, unlike the duck-and-cover Chuck Schumer. Now quit making me defend establishment politicians.
   1060. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 14, 2018 at 04:08 PM (#5744570)
WTF: the stories have said that Feinstein forwarded the letter to the FBI, but I just read that she redacted the woman’s name before she did. So there was obviously nothing the FBI could’ve done, which means that this was purely an 11th-hour smear job. She must know that there is no credibility to the allegation.
   1061. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 14, 2018 at 04:10 PM (#5744571)
Zonk's always willing to go for the cheap smear as long as it's directed at someone with opposing poltical views, but facts are facts:
So is Trump. Why don't you care about that?
"3000 people did not die in the two hurricanes that hit Puerto Rico...This was done by the Democrats in order to make me look as bad as possible"
Clapper reserves his condemnations for message board posters.
   1062. JL72 Posted: September 14, 2018 at 04:10 PM (#5744572)
No; I called into question the likelihood of finding percipient witnesses, not character witnesses.

Ok. That still ignores the question of why one would need them from back in high school.
   1063. TDF didn't lie, he just didn't remember Posted: September 14, 2018 at 04:10 PM (#5744573)
And yet Kavanaugh and the GOP had a well coordinated response that included 65 women who went to school with him vouching for him.
I'm sure you could find 65 neighborhood kids that never saw Jeffrey Dahmer eat any of their friends, too.
   1064. Traderdave Posted: September 14, 2018 at 04:12 PM (#5744575)

I still expect Beto to lose -- the gun thing is just too steep a hill to climb in Texas -- but anything that makes the GOP spend resources on a "lock" like Texas is worth it...

Only if the Dems are so well funded they can afford to expend a lot on a seat that most think they will lose & not be weakened elsewhere.
   1065. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 14, 2018 at 04:16 PM (#5744578)
Only the Dems are so well funded they can afford to expend a lot on a seat that most think they will lose & not be weakened elsewhere.

The Dems really don't need to spend on Beto - he's managed to build himself an enormous warchest of his own and he's running a virtual ATM with donations.

I suppose there are certain sorts of advertising - i.e., attack ads - a candidate would maybe prefer the party/DSCC/PACs/etc take on, but that's the great thing about how Beto has made a race of it... He can cover his own costs.
   1066. zenbitz Posted: September 14, 2018 at 04:19 PM (#5744579)

Assumes facts not in evidence.

Why are y'all such dicks? Off the top of my head:

1) George Zimmerman
2) Steroids in baseball
   1067. tshipman Posted: September 14, 2018 at 04:27 PM (#5744583)
Because false accusations are extremely rare,
This is ideology, nothing more.

How would you characterize something that happens between 2-5% of the time by best estimates?
   1068. zenbitz Posted: September 14, 2018 at 04:30 PM (#5744584)
@1056 you owe me a coke
   1069. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 14, 2018 at 04:31 PM (#5744586)
For those of you that are map geeks, take a look at this site: www.ventusky.com

Pretty amazing real-time weather info, all over the world. That sucker hitting the Philippines is a couple orders of magnitude nastier than Florence. Stuff like wind speed is fascinating - WTF is in Lake Michigan that sends wind in every direction like that?
   1070. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 14, 2018 at 04:32 PM (#5744588)
Ok. That still ignores the question of why one would need them from back in high school.
According to the women - there’s a piece in Buzzfeed now - they pulled the letter together yesterday, after the leaks.
   1071. Tony S Posted: September 14, 2018 at 04:33 PM (#5744589)
I'm sure those ultra-patriotic, all-American Ted Cruz supporters have never flown a confederate flag. No, sir.
   1072. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 14, 2018 at 04:35 PM (#5744590)
WTF is in Lake Michigan that sends wind in every direction like that?

I don't know but now I'm really curious. Something to do with the air pressure changing over the deepest part of the lake? No ####### clue.
   1073. Ray (CTL) Posted: September 14, 2018 at 04:42 PM (#5744593)

Just like Trump.

Ray, you are not always wrong, but this is very, very wrong. DiFi has the integrity of a typical senator; i.e., not much.

But Trump is qualitatively different.

You're right.

It doesn't strike me as Trump's m.o. to hit below the belt like this ("Oh look at this secret information that could be very bad, I'm going to smear someone with innuendo") but maybe I'm missing something.

Folks supporting Feinstein here should reevaluate their principles.
   1074. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: September 14, 2018 at 04:45 PM (#5744594)
Neat link.

Most of the Great Lakes have wind rushing off them in all directions.

First guess is that the water right now is cooler than the air, this cools the air and wind rushes over land, being replaced by air from upper atmosphere.
   1075. TDF didn't lie, he just didn't remember Posted: September 14, 2018 at 04:45 PM (#5744595)
It doesn't strike me as Trump's m.o. to hit below the belt like this
Donald Trump? The one who's currently POTUS?

Are you ####### on drugs?
   1076. BDC Posted: September 14, 2018 at 04:45 PM (#5744596)
According to the women - there’s a piece in Buzzfeed now - they pulled the letter together yesterday, after the leaks

This part is pretty explicable. You've got a closely-knit group of people from a power-center prep school, and one of their number is having his 15 minutes as the most famous person in America. I am not surprised that they can mobilize the troops.

It is not like if you suddenly had to find 65 people from my high-school class to vouch for me. And if you could they would have no idea who the hell I was. "Tossed a Molotov cocktail into the back of a liquor store for fun? Sounds like BDC, sure!"
   1077. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 14, 2018 at 04:47 PM (#5744597)
This part is pretty explicable. You've got a closely-knit group of people from a power-center prep school, and one of their number is having his 15 minutes as the most famous person in America. I am not surprised that they can mobilize the troops.

Exactly, the elite will always circle the wagons for one of their own. The HS he went to, and its sister school, are centers of power, they will do anything they can to make it remain that way, including protecting one of their most successful alums against rape allegations.
   1078. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 14, 2018 at 04:50 PM (#5744599)
First guess is that the water right now is cooler than the air, this cools the air and wind rushes over land, being replaced by air from upper atmosphere.
That would make some sense. Does anyone know; is that the deepest part of the lake?

It's utterly fascinating to fiddle around with the WindSpeed altitude. The differences from 100m to 4200m to 30000m are crazy. I'm not going to get any more work done today...
   1079. BDC Posted: September 14, 2018 at 04:51 PM (#5744600)
It doesn't strike me as Trump's m.o. to hit below the belt like this ("Oh look at this secret information that could be very bad, I'm going to smear someone with innuendo")

"I am going to give a major speech on probably Monday of next week and we're going to be discussing all of the things that have taken place with the Clintons," Trump said tonight.

"I think you're going to find it very informative and very, very interesting."

- Donald Trump, 7 June 2016; we're of course still waiting for the speech.
   1080. Tony S Posted: September 14, 2018 at 04:55 PM (#5744601)

I went to high school in Puerto Rico, in the early eighties. My class has a whatsapp group. One of my classmates had to evacuate from the SC coast -- we all knew about it within hours, and offered him what support we could. So yes, this kind of thing is unremarkable.
   1081. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 14, 2018 at 04:57 PM (#5744602)
The NYTs is a chickenshit org. So they publish that piece on Halley's 52k curtains then ####### walk it back with that mea culpa "correction"?

Either do it or don't, we all got places to be. The need for the MSM, and the Times is the worst example "to split the middle" and "present both sides" will be the death of them. The fact of the matter is that Trump's cabinet is up to their eyeballs in corruption charges and this fits the pattern. In an WH that is OBSESSED with trimming federal workforce fat nobody questioned whether Halley needed the 52k curtain installation? That should have been the crux of the story and it should have never necessitated that "correction" one way or another.

The Daily Caller, Fox News, Breitbart and the Federalist would never walk back a story that way.
   1082. Tony S Posted: September 14, 2018 at 05:03 PM (#5744604)

This isn't low-hanging fruit; this is fruit that has been sliced, diced, and laid on a platter next to the cheddar cubes and the graham crackers.

1083. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 14, 2018 at 05:10 PM (#5744605)
Yes, I'm sure he's a very fine person.
“His father was with Lee Harvey Oswald prior to Oswald's being — you know, shot. I mean, the whole thing is ridiculous,” Trump said
"I mean, Marco Rubio, as an example. He's got no money, zero. Now, I think that's OK, (but) ... I mean, he's got nothing," said Trump
"Look at that face!" he cries. "Would anyone vote for that? Can you imagine that, the face of our next president?!" The laughter grows halting and faint behind him. "I mean, she's a woman, and I'm not s'posedta say bad things, but really, folks, come on. Are we serious?"
“He’s not a war hero,” said Trump. “He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.”
@realDonaldTrump Attention all hackers: You are hacking everything else so please hack Obama's college records (destroyed?) and check "place of birth"
He is a member of a club or society, very strongly pro-Mexican, which is all fine. But I say he's got bias. I want to build a wall.
   1084. baravelli Posted: September 14, 2018 at 05:20 PM (#5744608)
Ray/1073
It doesn't strike me as Trump's m.o. to hit below the belt like this ("Oh look at this secret information that could be very bad, I'm going to smear someone with innuendo") but maybe I'm missing something.

Yes, Ray, you’re missing something. This sort of thing is exactly in Trump’s wheelhouse. Here are but two examples.

From June 7, 2016:

"I am going to give a major speech on probably Monday of next week, and we are going to be discussing all of the things that have taken place with the Clintons. I think you are going to find it very informative and very, very interesting. I wonder if the press will want to attend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFIZ80Oqxxo#t=7m08s

(And of course we now know that earlier that day Trump Jr. had set up the Trump tower meeting with Veselnitskaya to get dirt on the Clintons, though perhaps that’s somewhat beside this particular point.)

From April 7, 2011:
I have people that have been studying [Obama's birth certificate] and they cannot believe what they're finding ... I would like to have him show his birth certificate, and can I be honest with you, I hope he can. Because if he can't, if he can't, if he wasn't born in this country, which is a real possibility ... then he has pulled one of the great cons in the history of politics.
https://www.cnn.com/2016/09/09/politics/donald-trump-birther/
   1085. JJ1986 Posted: September 14, 2018 at 05:22 PM (#5744609)
The way that Ray is able to keep supporting Trump is to pay no attention to what the President says or does.
   1086. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: September 14, 2018 at 05:29 PM (#5744611)

No, his m.o. is to grab below the belt.
   1087. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: September 14, 2018 at 05:48 PM (#5744617)
Donald Trump? The one who's currently POTUS?

Are you ####### on drugs?

No, just a troll who's excellent at setting tempting bait.
   1088. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 14, 2018 at 05:48 PM (#5744618)

Perhaps - but the problem for Hill wasn't really lack of support... it was stuff like the Oklahoma legislature essentially threatening to revoke her employer's charter if they didn't fire her... Or Virginia Thomas still harassing her 20 years later.

Except that the atmosphere today is markedly different from what it was in 1991, thanks in great part to the #MeToo movement. There are always going to be sorry excuses for human beings like Virginia Thomas, but today they're in a distinct minority.

Just look at Clapper's defenses of Creeper Moore and his attacks on the children Moore molested - more people willing to say "I believe you" doesn't change the existence of people like Clapper and what they'd do.

I think it's safe to say that Clapper represents a dying breed, albeit one that still has a lot of strength in the backwards parts of the country.

Bottom line is that we don't know why she doesn't want to go public, but unless she changes her mind it's something we're just going to have to live with. It shouldn't take this to be able to justify a vote against Kavanaugh; his public record and statements alone are more than enough reason, along with the prospects of a long term right wing Supreme Court that'd need two Justices to "switch sides" in order to restore it to some semblance of balance.
   1089. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 14, 2018 at 05:58 PM (#5744623)
Pinterest account of the Dallas cop who murdered her neighbor.

She is not a fan of Colin Kaepernick or Barack Obama, it would seem.
   1090. McCoy Posted: September 14, 2018 at 06:03 PM (#5744626)
But loves minions
   1091. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 14, 2018 at 06:16 PM (#5744628)
Cops are morons, beat cops anyways. Got a lot of respect for the detectives and white collar crime investigators.
   1092. BDC Posted: September 14, 2018 at 06:20 PM (#5744631)
I predict Ray will explain that Trump only hits below the belt when he does not have any evidence for what he's talking about :)
   1093. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 14, 2018 at 06:24 PM (#5744632)
Amusing little tidbit from tonight's News Hour that I hadn't known before: Apparently Paul Manafort's daughter Jessica went to court three days ago to legally change her name, in order to "separate" herself from her notorious father. Who can blame her?
   1094. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 14, 2018 at 06:24 PM (#5744633)
It could also mean cooperation against people unrelated to Trump or his campaign.

Tony Podesta might have some concern about his involvement in Manafort's Ukraine endeavors, and possibly others.
As has been said many times, we'll just have to wait and see where Mueller goes. Clapper here demonstrates that even blind squirrels can stumble across nuts, of a sort.. Federal prosecutors weigh charges against Democratic powerbroker in Manafort-linked probe
Federal prosecutors in New York are weighing criminal charges against former Obama White House counsel Greg Craig as part of an investigation into whether he failed to register as a foreign agent in a probe that is linked to former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort, according to sources familiar with the matter.
Yeah. I don't think this is wrapping up any time soon.
   1095. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 14, 2018 at 06:26 PM (#5744634)
Again though—it was just a coincidence that of all the people this ALL LIVES MATTER cop could have killed, it just so happened to be the noisy black guy who lived directly above her. Walked into his apartment by mistake! Could have been anyone’s!
   1096. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 14, 2018 at 06:27 PM (#5744635)
1093- Is this the same Manafort progeny who leaked those text messages showing Paul forcing his wife to indulge his racist cuckold fetishes? I
   1097. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 14, 2018 at 06:42 PM (#5744640)
Feds still holding 12,800 migrant children in detention centers, report finds

Data obtained by the Times showed that 12,800 children were detained in federal custody this month, compared to 2,400 children detained in May 2017. Federal shelters housing migrant children have remained filled at around 90 percent capacity since May of this year.

The increase is not due to an influx of more migrant children, but rather because fewer children are being released into the custody of sponsors. Unaccompanied children have traditionally been placed with sponsors such as parents or extended family members upon entering the U.S.

However, a new rule implemented by the Trump administration in June requires sponsors to be fingerprinted in order to pick up children, and that information is shared with immigration officials. Many would-be sponsors are undocumented themselves, and therefore are reluctant to be fingerprinted and risk deportation.

Remember when this was all over the news for a couple weeks back in May and a bunch of Democrats and journalists had to pretend to give a #### about Mexican kids? That was such a bizarre experience.
   1098. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 14, 2018 at 06:47 PM (#5744641)
Weak effort. Trolling is all about subtlety. 0 out of 5 peace signs.
   1099. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 14, 2018 at 06:51 PM (#5744642)
You gotta have standards, man.
   1100. Greg K Posted: September 14, 2018 at 07:29 PM (#5744644)
Interesting times in Canadian politics.

Maxime Bernier (who recently resigned from the Conservative Party) announced his new "People's Party" today. The party platform isn't entirely clear at this point, but he split with the Conservative Party on the issue of migration (he wants a more restrictive policy). The NDP is having its own internal squabbles, so despite a rather lacklustre run of play over the past year or more, Trudeau's Liberal party has won the game of screwing up the least.

Meanwhile, new Ontario Premier Doug Ford is invoking the infamous "notwithstanding clause" of the Canadian Charter. This in effect allows a provincial (or federal) legislature to over-ride a constitutional decision made in court. Ford's using it to negate a court decision that deemed his reform of Toronto municipal politics unconstitutional. Ford wants to cut the number of wards that elect members to Toronto's city council from 47 to 25. The municipal election is about a month from now, so the ongoing legal battle is leading to all kinds of uncertainty about who is running for what seat.

The notwithstanding clause is kind of a nuclear option of Canadian politics. It's rarely used and there is some concern that Ford using it for such a banal issue will set a precedent for other governments.
Page 11 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 9 10 11 12 13 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Rough Carrigan
for his generous support.