Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

OTP 2018 September 10: Former executive Neil McMillan reflects on a long career in baseball, politics and mining

Neil McMillan never made it to the big league, but that hasn’t stopped the former politician, financier and mining executive from blaming his success on the time he spent on the pitcher’s mound all those years ago.

“The real difference in my career … has been a function of my attitude, and it starts out as a willingness or a drive to risk failure,” said McMillan, who recently retired from his last job as chairman of the uranium miner Cameco Corp.

Politics was something of a second choice for McMillan, after a physician ended his lifelong dream of flying for the Snowbirds.

After Trudeau-hating voters turfed him out of office — the alternative would have have been to jump ship and run as a Conservative, an idea he wasn’t prepared to indulge — McMillan spent almost two decades working in finance, as a broker.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 11, 2018 at 08:06 AM | 1379 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: canada, off topic, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 12 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 10 11 12 13 14 > 
   1101. McCoy Posted: September 14, 2018 at 07:32 PM (#5744645)
Flip
   1102. BDC Posted: September 14, 2018 at 07:50 PM (#5744652)
On the global warming front, a handy map of the hottest temperatures ever recorded, by European country.

But fear not, because while a lot of these records were set in this century or even this decade, some are still pretty old, so it may all be a hoax after all. The hottest days ever in the Netherlands and Belgium, for instance, came in the 1940s. And in Ireland, in 1887!

I am mostly fond of this map because I was in England on the hottest day in English history. 10 August 2003, and I was even in Kent, the hottest place in England that day. It was hot (38.5° C), but at that no hotter than a typical August day in Texas.
   1103. BrianBrianson Posted: September 14, 2018 at 07:51 PM (#5744653)
The notwithstanding clause is kind of a nuclear option of Canadian politics. It's rarely used and there is some concern that Ford using it for such a banal issue will set a precedent for other governments.

It's never been used in Ontario, but separatist governments in Quebec routinely invoked it in every piece of legislation they passed, as a "calissez-vous" to the federal government.
   1104. Greg K Posted: September 14, 2018 at 07:52 PM (#5744654)
he hottest days ever in the Netherlands and Belgium, for instance, came in the 1940s.

Well, I guess it's time to cross 1940s Netherlands off the list for time travel tourism! I don't enjoy the heat.
   1105. Greg K Posted: September 14, 2018 at 07:54 PM (#5744656)
It's never been used in Ontario, but separatist governments in Quebec routinely invoked it in every piece of legislation they passed, as a "calissez-vous" to the federal government.

Yeah, I think outside of that period of protest (where it was preemptively invoked rather than overriding a court decision), I think it's been used 5 or 6 times since Canada got its constitution way back in 1982.
   1106. Tony S Posted: September 14, 2018 at 08:36 PM (#5744665)
Isn't Doug Ford a mini-Trump in Ontario? IIRC his late brother was Toronto's answer to Marion Barry. Doesn't sound like Ontario is much further along the evolutionary scale than the US... :)
   1107. Random Transaction Generator Posted: September 14, 2018 at 08:48 PM (#5744669)
   1108. Greg K Posted: September 14, 2018 at 08:51 PM (#5744670)
Isn't Doug Ford a mini-Trump in Ontario? IIRC his late brother was Toronto's answer to Marion Barry. Doesn't sound like Ontario is much further along the evolutionary scale than the US... :)

He certainly falls in the anti-establishment populist model of politician. Interestingly, Ford's heartland is the ethnic minority suburbs of Toronto, so it's not entirely like Trumpism. The focus is more on cutting reckless government spending and do-it-yourself gumption. In a sense it's the obvious recipe North American conservatives seem to have missed out on the past few generations. A message that resonates with socially conservative migrant communities.

But of course, it could also be that Ford happened to be the right guy at the right time when one of the least popular provincial governments in history collapsed and someone had to win the election. It was pretty obvious even before Ford became the PC candidate that the party was going to win the election. In fact, Ford only got picked because the guy who was supposed to be running for the PCs (Patrick Brown) got toppled in a sexual misconduct scandal midstream and they had to pick a new leader. I recall that when Ford was officially selected, the PCs actually dipped in the polls.

So this all may be a case of reading too much into an election result.
   1109. Greg K Posted: September 14, 2018 at 08:52 PM (#5744671)
In my neck of the woods, we'll be using Ranked Choice Voting for the mayoral (and council) elections next month.

That sounds fun! I'm becoming a fan of ranked ballots.
   1110. Ray (CTL) Posted: September 14, 2018 at 09:00 PM (#5744677)
Turley:

Trump Versus George Washington: GW Stands By Mortality Findings From Puerto Rico

George Washington University has found itself in the eye of the storm over Hurricane Maria after President Donald Trump has lashed out at its findings that roughly 3,000 people died in Puerto Rico rather than a couple dozen cited by President Trump. Trump has called the widely cited GW study “inflated” but the university (where I teach) is standing by its findings. Top Republicans have distanced themselves from Trump’s remarks and leaders like House Speaker Paul Ryan went public to say that there is no reason to doubt the GW findings. Even Trump supporter Florida Gov. Rick Scott who is running for the Senate tweeted “I disagree with @POTUS—"

Trump has directed much of his anger at San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz. Trump has previously complained about the failure of Cruz and local officials in dealing with the storm, including the lack of adequate infrastructure and preparation before the storm. There may indeed be merit to the criticism, particularly in Cruz spending most of her time critiquing the federal offense rather than her own government’s performance. However, that is entirely separate from the methodology and merits of the GW study which has been widely credited as reliable and credible.
   1111. Ray (CTL) Posted: September 14, 2018 at 09:06 PM (#5744678)
Andy's Beloved Fact Checkers have given Hillary four Pinocchios. (I'd give Kamala Harris five -- Harris went further to dishonestly edit Kavanaugh's remarks.) Has Andy breathlessly posted the factcheckers' conclusions here yet?

Turley:

Clinton Pushes False Story Against Kavanaugh

Hillary Clinton surprisingly tweeted a clearly false allegation against Judge Brett Kavanaugh on Wednesday that had already been widely disproven. Clinton told followers that Kavanaugh referred to birth control pills as “abortion-inducing drugs.” He didn’t but that does not appear to matter to many spreading this false story, including Clinton. Clinton said that she wanted to be
“sure we’re all clear about” about Kavanaugh’s comment to “set off a lot of alarm bells.” It did but not the alarms that she intended. The false account was first spread by Sen. Kamala Harris (D., Cal.) who received four Pinocchios for the claim from The Washingon Post.

Kavanaugh was discussing Priests for Life v. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services after Cruz asked Kavanaugh about his dissent in the case. He responded:

“[Priests for Life] was being forced to provide a certain kind of health coverage over their religious objection to their employees, and under the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, the question was first, was this a substantial burden on the religious exercise? And it seemed to me quite clearly it was. It was a technical matter of filling out a form, in that case with — that — they said filling out the form would make them complicit in the provision of the abortion-inducing drugs that they were — as a religious matter, objected to.”

What was most disturbing was Harris’ release of an edited video of that cut out the words “they said.”

Kavanaugh was referring to the argument of the challengers. The analysis had to consider their view of contraceptives.

These attacks only destroy the credibility of these campaigns. I have previously written that, while the Democrats are wrong about “smoking gun” evidence put forward at the hearing on Kavanaugh’s opposition to Roe v. Wade, his interpretative methodology is clearly hostile to the reasoning of Roe. Yet, opponents like Harris and Clinton seem eager to claim any “gotcha” moment — even one that never occurred.

Looks like they're adopting Trumpian tactics:

What is most striking is that there is plenty for both sides to use in rallying their supporters, but these unfair attacks are increasing with the anger (and panic) in some quarters. There is clearly a calculated risk here. These politicians are confident that more people will be outraged (or not care to check the facts) on the false narrative than there are people outraged by being misled. That would be a particularly sad statement about the state of our politics.
   1112. Ray (CTL) Posted: September 14, 2018 at 09:11 PM (#5744680)
The more I think about who the Ds will nominate for 2020, the more I settle on Kamala Harris -- assuming arguendo the nominee comes from a name on radar at present. Harris is allowed by the party to get away with the same dirty pool that Hillary was -- indeed, it's often not clear that Democrats even understand that Harris is engaged in absurdity. Such as her questioning of Kavanaugh at the hearing, and her dishonest rendition of what he said about the Priest for Life case.

Regardless I don't see the Dems nominating anyone other than a minority women. I suppose Warren qualifies under her own human definition of Native American, which Democrats have defended, so you're down to a two horse field.
   1113. zenbitz Posted: September 14, 2018 at 09:19 PM (#5744683)
Well Ray has spoken. That settles it.

1114. Howie Menckel Posted: September 14, 2018 at 09:27 PM (#5744686)
I posted here during the hearings how impressed I was by Harris in the portion of her questioning that I saw. forceful, passionate - and professional. nothing like the right-wing fanatics claim.

I don't doubt that it was an overzealous staffer who deliberately altered Kavanaugh's comment in that clip. but I also will not hold my breath waiting for an apology from Harris or any word about the staffer being disciplined.

millions of Democrats now believe that key lie that was pitched by Harris - and Hillary (some of them post here). that sucks (too).
   1115. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 14, 2018 at 09:28 PM (#5744688)
Ray has become a parody of Ray.

But we shouldn’t be too hard on him.... he knows The Left is right about Trump. He knows The Left is going to bring Trump down. And he knows this will make The Left really happy.
   1116. Ray (CTL) Posted: September 14, 2018 at 09:41 PM (#5744693)
Howie, Harris’s questioning during the hearing was ridiculous. And her questioning is why we can be confident that the dishonest video clip had her fingerprints on it. It went out under her name. And she has not walked it back, nor has Hillary. She’s playing the base.
   1117. perros Posted: September 14, 2018 at 09:46 PM (#5744697)
Ray has become a parody of Ray

Respondimg to Ray has become a parody of responding to Ray. Kinda like shooting those metal ducks at a carnival.
   1118. Howie Menckel Posted: September 14, 2018 at 10:12 PM (#5744703)
Howie, Harris’s questioning during the hearing was ridiculous.

I can only go by the portion that I heard - maybe 10 minutes - and it was a very productive dialogue, imo. maybe that wasn't true of a different segment, but I'd be a little surprised.
   1119. Ray (CTL) Posted: September 14, 2018 at 10:22 PM (#5744717)
Well I heard the portion where she made dolphin noises and danced around with a dunce cap on her head.
   1120. Lassus Posted: September 14, 2018 at 10:30 PM (#5744724)
Howie, Harris’s questioning during the hearing was ridiculous.

Questions about fake psychologists or questions about fake climatologists?
   1121. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 14, 2018 at 10:36 PM (#5744730)
I can only go by the portion that I heard - maybe 10 minutes - and it was a very productive dialogue, imo. maybe that wasn't true of a different segment, but I'd be a little surprised.

That's like saying a poker player played his hand well, until his bluff was called. Despite the attempt to suggest otherwise, neither Harris nor any of the Committee Democrats had any information showing Kavanaugh had any improper contact with anyone at Kasowitz Benson & Torres (a law firm that has represented Trump). If they did, there were follow-up questions that would have been highly effective - instead, Harris abandoned the topic once her bluff was called.
   1122. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 14, 2018 at 10:43 PM (#5744731)
The NYTs is a chickenshit org. So they publish that piece on Halley's 52k curtains then ####### walk it back with that mea culpa "correction"?

Either do it or don't, we all got places to be. The need for the MSM, and the Times is the worst example "to split the middle" and "present both sides" will be the death of them. The fact of the matter is that Trump's cabinet is up to their eyeballs in corruption charges and this fits the pattern.
No, the fact is that it doesn't fit the pattern, since it has nothing to do with Trump's cabinet. That's the whole point of the correction, which you apparently didn't read because you were more interested in Team Red and Team Blue than the facts.

(Also, she's not a comet; it's Haley, not Halley.)
In an WH that is OBSESSED with trimming federal workforce fat nobody questioned whether Halley needed the 52k curtain installation? That should have been the crux of the story and it should have never necessitated that "correction" one way or another.
You understand that it's not Haley's, right? It's the ambassadorial residence. And the Obama administration thought it was needed.
The Daily Caller, Fox News, Breitbart and the Federalist would never walk back a story that way.
They might not, but I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. The NYT isn't aiming to be the left-wing version of Breitbart.
   1123. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 14, 2018 at 11:00 PM (#5744740)
The NYTs is a chickenshit org. So they publish that piece on Halley's 52k curtains then ####### walk it back with that mea culpa "correction"?

Well, let's quote the correction that the hyper-partisans are criticizing:
Editors’ Note: September 14, 2018

An earlier version of this article and headline created an unfair impression about who was responsible for the purchase in question. While Nikki R. Haley is the current ambassador to the United Nations, the decision on leasing the ambassador’s residence and purchasing the curtains was made during the Obama administration, according to current and former officials. The article should not have focused on Ms. Haley, nor should a picture of her have been used. The article and headline have now been edited to reflect those concerns, and the picture has been removed. [emphasis added]

If the reporting is indefensible, why defend it?
   1124. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: September 14, 2018 at 11:02 PM (#5744742)
Anybody seen this?

I'm not wrapped up over the KKK thing, just that the the NRA seems to be getting their panties in a twist over the fact the Thomas the Tank Engine introduced an African engine from Kenya. I mean, WTF is a gun rights organization doing with this stuff? She seems to be upset that Thomas the Tank Engine, a CHILD'S SHOW, is talking about diversity. Are people who support that not welcome in the NRA?
   1125. Ray (CTL) Posted: September 14, 2018 at 11:04 PM (#5744748)
If the reporting is indefensible, why defend it?

Can folks on the left prove they're not as dishonest as Trump?! Stay tuned!!
   1126. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 14, 2018 at 11:14 PM (#5744749)
Andy's Beloved Fact Checkers have given Hillary four Pinocchios. (I'd give Kamala Harris five -- Harris went further to dishonestly edit Kavanaugh's remarks.) Has Andy breathlessly posted the factcheckers' conclusions here yet?

I get PolitiFact emails in my inbox every morning, and I post their findings, or Kessler's, maybe once every 4 to 6 weeks, usually just Kessler's running totals of Trump's lies. But I need Fact Checkers to know that Trump's the biggest liar in American history about as much as I need the Weather Channel to know that hurricanes are wet.

I'm sure Hillary deserved her four Pinocchios, and I don't generally make it a practice of trying to pretend that fact checkers are "biased", even if on occasion some of their interpretations are necessarily subjective. If you were to similarly assume good faith on the part of Kessler and PolitiFact, your comments would have a lot more credibility.

And it's hardly Whataboutism to note that while other politicians lie or misrepresent from time to time, Trump's entire political career is based on One Big Lie After Another. You know this, and you acknowledge it, but for whatever reason you don't seem to find it uniquely disturbing. I can only assume you have some underlying emotional attachment to his message, because there's no logical or objective explanation for your indifference.
   1127. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 14, 2018 at 11:14 PM (#5744750)
As part of his plea deal, Paul Manafort is now cooperating with Robert Mueller.

That reporting seems to be "incomplete", if not inaccurate:
NPR, @NPR
Paul Manafort's cooperation agreement with the special counsel does not include matters involving the Trump campaign, according to a person familiar with the case,
   1128. greenback slays lewks Posted: September 14, 2018 at 11:18 PM (#5744751)
Paul Manafort's cooperation agreement with the special counsel does not include matters involving the Trump campaign, according to a person familiar with the case,

Yes, Mueller seems to be pursuing the puppet master rather than the puppet.
   1129. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 14, 2018 at 11:21 PM (#5744753)
So do we all agree that Mueller should be allowed to finish his investigation without partisan sniping from either side, and let the chips fall where they may? Everybody here in on that?
   1130. Ray (CTL) Posted: September 14, 2018 at 11:28 PM (#5744758)
So do we all agree that Mueller should be allowed to finish his investigation without partisan sniping from either side, and let the chips fall where they may? Everybody here in on that?

Most certainly.

Please note that there's nothing preventing Mueller from investigating (or referring) Democrats should he stumble upon illegal activity there.
   1131. Omineca Greg Posted: September 14, 2018 at 11:29 PM (#5744759)
I am mostly fond of this map because I was in England on the hottest day in English history. 10 August 2003, and I was even in Kent, the hottest place in England that day. It was hot (38.5° C), but at that no hotter than a typical August day in Texas.

I have it on very good authority that Kent, due to its climate, is barely even a part of England.

From Northenden to Partington it's rain
From Altrincham to Chadderton it's rain
From Moss Side to Swinton hardly Spain
It's a picture postcard of "wish they never came"

And whilst that deckchair in the garden it makes no sense
It doesn't spoil the view or cause offence
Those Floridas, Bavarias and Kents
Make gentlemen wear shorts but don't make gents

So convertible stay garage-bound
Save after-sun for later
If rain makes Britain great
Then Manchester is greater
As you dry your clothes once again
Upon the radiator
What makes Britain great
Makes Manchester yet greater

From Cheetham Hill to Wythenshawe it's rain
Gorton, Salford, Sale pretty much the same
As I'm caught up without my jacket once again
The raindrops on my face play a sweet refrain

And as winter turns reluctantly to spring
For the clouds above the city there's one last fling
Swallows build their nests, chaffinch sing
And the sun strolls into town like long lost king

And the mood of this whole sudden place is melancholy
Like the sun came out to play, shone through the clouds
But dropped its lolly
And everyone looks so disappointed, so, so sorry
Like the rain blew into town, kidnapped the sun
And stole its brolly

Heaton/Rotherway
   1132. Howie Menckel Posted: September 14, 2018 at 11:46 PM (#5744762)
Please note that there's nothing preventing Mueller from investigating (or referring) Democrats should he stumble upon illegal activity there.

Fox News headline was all-in on that tonight. one of those Podestas (again), plus some new Obama guy who I guess also didn't register as a foreign agent, or so they say. I flipped over to a ballgame.
   1133. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 14, 2018 at 11:54 PM (#5744763)
Here ya go Howie

Federal prosecutors in New York are weighing criminal charges against former Obama White House counsel Greg Craig as part of an investigation into whether he failed to register as a foreign agent in a probe that is linked to former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort, according to sources familiar with the matter.

In addition, these sources said, prosecutors in the US Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York are considering taking action against powerhouse law firm Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP, where Craig was a partner during the activity under examination. Prosecutors are considering a civil settlement with the firm or a deferred prosecution agreement with Skadden, these sources said.

The investigation pertains to whether Craig improperly performed lobbying work on behalf of a group associated with Ukraine without registering with the Justice Department as a foreign agent. Federal law requires that an entity representing a foreign political party or government file public reports detailing the relationship under the Foreign Agents Registration Act, or FARA.

CNN
   1134. greenback slays lewks Posted: September 15, 2018 at 12:56 AM (#5744766)
So it's not a witch hunt?
   1135. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 15, 2018 at 02:43 AM (#5744769)
So it's not a witch hunt?

Does Craig weigh as much as a duck?

Then ... case closed!
   1136. Tony S Posted: September 15, 2018 at 07:35 AM (#5744778)
This is hilarious.

Willie Nelson is playing a concert for Beto O'Rourke, and some of his fans are shocked -- SHOCKED! -- that he would endorse a liberal candidate for office.

I wonder how they'll react to the revelation that he has been known to smoke pot on occasion.

"Although it is not true that all Conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are Conservative." -- John Stuart Mill
   1137. McCoy Posted: September 15, 2018 at 08:18 AM (#5744780)
Shaken after seeing waves crashing on the Neuse River just outside his house in New Bern, restaurant owner and hurricane veteran Tom Ballance wished he had evacuated.

"I feel like the dumbest human being who ever walked the face of the earth," he said.
   1138. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: September 15, 2018 at 08:46 AM (#5744783)
Willie Nelson is playing a concert for Beto O'Rourke, and some of his fans are shocked -- SHOCKED! -- that he would endorse a liberal candidate for office.
To paraphrase YR from a couple of days ago, people are shocked that America's biggest hippie has turned out to be a hippie.
   1139. BrianBrianson Posted: September 15, 2018 at 08:54 AM (#5744784)
Harris is obviously running, and it's plausible she'll win - given the thick field, you'd be foolish to rate any candidate at more than a ~5% chance or so.

If that costs the (D)s Ray's vote, they might as well pack up and not bother.
   1140. Morty Causa Posted: September 15, 2018 at 09:39 AM (#5744791)
Democrats will find a way, I fear, to pull defeat from the jaws of victory.
   1141. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: September 15, 2018 at 10:00 AM (#5744799)
After being in tossup territory since their first projection, with the R incumbent never behind, 538 is suddenly projecting "Lean D" with the D challenger at 63% for my district, FL-26. As far as R's go, Carlos Curbelo isn't a bad guy, but I can't have him voting for the people who refuse to investigate Trump's crimes.
   1142. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 15, 2018 at 10:46 AM (#5744802)
Harris is obviously running, and it's plausible she'll win - given the thick field, you'd be foolish to rate any candidate at more than a ~5% chance or so.

They’d lose the incredibly valuable Davo vote too.
   1143. greenback slays lewks Posted: September 15, 2018 at 11:21 AM (#5744806)
Willie Nelson smokes marijuana, has had problems with the IRS, and has been known to use a firearm. He does kinda check the libertarian boxes.
   1144. BDC Posted: September 15, 2018 at 01:13 PM (#5744826)
1979 wasn't the peak in one respect, anyway:

Taking the definition of serial murder as the unlawful killing of two or more victims by the same offender in separate events, the data shows 1989 was the peak year in the United States with 193 separate serial killers operating.

By the end of the 20th century, that had dropped to 107. In the current decade, an average of 43 serial killers per year have been identified in the US.

Theories for the Decline include: people don't hitchhike, or stop for hitchhikers, much anymore, or do other serial-killer-victim stuff; DNA testing makes it easier to stop them before they kill again; and good old mass incarceration keeps potential killers off the streets.

TFA also speculates that cellphones have played a role in tracking killers, and I would add that cellphones have changed a lot of interpersonal behavior in ways that reduce crime. Americans rarely ask strangers for help anymore, and being asked for help by a stranger sends up a red flag quicker than it used to. One theory for the rise of serial killers was the anonymous loneliness of 20th-century mass society, and the cellphone, by linking you to friends and helpers not immediately around you, means you are less alone even as you're more surrounded by strangers.
   1145. tshipman Posted: September 15, 2018 at 01:17 PM (#5744829)
They’d lose the incredibly valuable Davo vote too.

Losing Ray and Davo's votes only intensifies the appeal of a candidate to actual Democrats.
   1146. Morty Causa Posted: September 15, 2018 at 01:25 PM (#5744832)
   1147. DJS, the Digital Dandy Posted: September 15, 2018 at 01:58 PM (#5744838)
Meh, if HRC had *actually* been vanilla, she would have won.
   1148. zenbitz Posted: September 15, 2018 at 02:17 PM (#5744843)
That's like saying a poker player played his hand well, until his bluff was called.

Demonstrating YC knows as little about poker as he does about morality or justice. Whether or not a specific bluff gets called has little to do with whether that bluff was correct to make.

This is called "results oriented thinking", see E. G. Ray the 2016 election.
   1149. Avoid running at all times.-S. Paige Posted: September 15, 2018 at 02:27 PM (#5744846)
Davos, you and I have similar politics but I think you’d be nuts to not vote for whomever the Dems run out there against Trump in 2020. Unless you’re in a heavily blue state where the result is already decided. I share a similar distaste for Harris (her record on criminal justice policy isn’t good) but she’s gone left on things like healthcare whereas the Republican option is...Trump.
   1150. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 15, 2018 at 02:35 PM (#5744852)
That's like saying a poker player played his hand well, until his bluff was called.

Demonstrating YC knows as little about poker as he does about morality or justice. Whether or not a specific bluff gets called has little to do with whether that bluff was correct to make.

I don't think you understand the analogy. Harris had nothing, eventually got called on it, and lost. That Harris may not have had a better option might justify her tactic from a game theory perspective, but not from a legal, governmental or political one. Harris demonstrated, yet again, how weak a case the anti-Kavanaugh folks have. If they could do better, they wouldn't resort to bluffing, and having their desperation exposed.
   1151. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 15, 2018 at 02:56 PM (#5744860)

If parties are going to play hardball on nominations, I much prefer the honest GOP approach to Garland – we’re not going to vote on him on him because we have the votes and you don’t – to the Democrats’ low one – we’re going to personally smear him at the last minute.
   1152. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 15, 2018 at 02:58 PM (#5744861)
Might makes right. It’s the libertarian way. Except when it comes to physical might. Then it’s all “help me Big Gummint”.
   1153. greenback slays lewks Posted: September 15, 2018 at 03:04 PM (#5744865)
If parties are going to play hardball on nominations, I much prefer the honest GOP approach to Garland – we’re not going to vote on him on him because we have the votes and you don’t – to the Democrats’ low one – we’re going to personally smear him at the last minute.

Gee, the Princeton-trained technocrat doesn't like it when ambitious politicians preen before the cameras to increase their exposure and name recognition among the lumpenproletariat. Go figure.
   1154. Howie Menckel Posted: September 15, 2018 at 03:06 PM (#5744866)

kind of a weird one in nymag.com. Olivia Nuzzi, meet Bob Woodward

Woodward, now the interviewee

"Woodward introduced me to his wife, the journalist Elsa Walsh, and then ushered me into a dining room. Over the course of 50 minutes, we discussed his philosophy and methods. But first, my tape recorder malfunctioned in front of America’s most famous journalist."

"Do you like any of these people? Did you find any of them to be enjoyable human beings?
You mean the sources or the people in the White House?

Anyone in the administration or influencing it from the outside.

It is a good question, but I just go way back — I filter my own emotions out. They intrude so it becomes very — it is like the doctor operating on a patient. Do you like the patient, do you not like the patient? It is irrelevant. It is perhaps a bit cold, but I find that is the best path to find out what happens. If you start saying I like so-and-so or I don’t like so-and-so …
well I think, I hope, it is possible to have an impression of somebody, good or bad.

Right.

And then you filter it out. You filter that out."

"[Conservative talk show host Hugh Hewitt] said that, oh, it shows no collusion with Russia. Which is true. And I said that I did not find any, but in the end of the book when Dowd is reflecting on the situation, he says, or he concludes, that he and Trump got suckered by Mueller. Turning over all these witness interviews, corroborating documents and so forth, he concludes that Mueller may have something. I don’t know that, but I believe very strongly that the answer to the Russian collusion story is in Russia. Moscow. If somebody who is really going to get to the bottom of the root Russian collusion issue, the answer is in Moscow. If I were to go there, I don’t think I would ever come back."
   1155. zenbitz Posted: September 15, 2018 at 03:08 PM (#5744868)
While it's reasonable to assume the democrats are opposing the nomination because they are dumb, it is likely they are just stalling and/or riling the base.
   1156. zenbitz Posted: September 15, 2018 at 03:10 PM (#5744869)
@1151 sure but if you don't have the votes the first option is off the table.
   1157. zenbitz Posted: September 15, 2018 at 03:12 PM (#5744870)
Maybe the dems are smearing a good man, but if Trump picked him it warrents investigating.

If the GOP wants to play nice they can nominate Garland.
   1158. Ray (CTL) Posted: September 15, 2018 at 03:14 PM (#5744871)
While it's reasonable to assume the democrats are opposing the nomination because they are dumb, it is likely they are just stalling and/or riling the base.

Anyone who's paying attention to these hearings already knows whether they're voting, and already knows how they're voting.
   1159. Ray (CTL) Posted: September 15, 2018 at 03:30 PM (#5744873)

The thing is that even the most ridiculous things Harris says map pretty well to what the base believes and high fives to. Similar to Trump, although one might imagine that even Trump's base knew that some of the things he said were ridiculous. Such as the Cruz - JFK thing.

The 2020 election will come down to which side (a) has more mindless lemmings who (b) will turn out to vote, and which side (c) has more supporters who hate the other side with a seething passion.

And that's somewhat of a close call. I think Trump has the edge because he's the incumbent and may have a good economy behind him, and he also gets bonus points for not being Hitler or nuking Canada which his detractors promised were reasonable possibilities.

Importantly, he also has a cult following that has grown significantly large and passionate. That I think will be the most difficult thing for the opposition to overcome. Obama had it and was unbeatable.

Russia collusion will be irrelevant as an issue in 2020, except to the extent that the issue is baked in to both sides' orthodoxy but the people who care about this already know whether they're voting and who they're voting for. The Dems will of course try to make a big issue of it. To no effect on anything that matters. For all the calories the Dems will burn on it the issue will move virtually no votes. (I could see a baseless impeachment attempt backfire, however. Particularly if Mueller continues to come up empty in his investigation as far as collusion goes.)
   1160. McCoy Posted: September 15, 2018 at 03:38 PM (#5744877)
On one hand Trump voters knew Trump said ridiculous and stupid things but on the other hand they are incapable of realizing that Trump's detractors might be capable of the same thing and thus they'll vote for Trump because that'll show them to say outrageous things.
   1161. Swoboda is freedom Posted: September 15, 2018 at 03:42 PM (#5744878)
and he also gets bonus points for not being Hitler or nuking Canada which his detractors promised were reasonable possibilities.

Glad we set the bar so high. I think that the worry is that he would nuke North Korea. If the Woodward book is to be believed, Trump almost pushed us to the brink of having a shooting war by saying he would pull dependants out of South Korea.
   1162. Chip Posted: September 15, 2018 at 03:45 PM (#5744879)
Importantly, he also has a cult following that has grown significantly large and passionate.

There is zero evidence this is true.
   1163. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 15, 2018 at 04:11 PM (#5744886)

Seems to me that there are three big factors, in no particular order:

1. Energizing the base, not just for 2018 but 2020, when a second Trump administration could conceivably bring us a 78% or even 89% Federalist Society-approved Supreme Court, and that's assuming Kagan and / or Sotomayor will still be around.

2. Fear of a Court that will take not just one Anthony Kennedy, but two conservative Justices to get the Court to side against anything the Federalist Society or the hard core Religious Right favors.

3. Using Kavanaugh's noncommittal answers as a stark contrast to his inevitable hard core right wing voting record.

The bottom line is that Kavanaugh's nomination, and how it came about, is just the latest bit of evidence that the Supreme Court is a 100% political animal, and the only thing that can be done about its current iteration is to keep electing Democratic presidents and a Democratic Senate until the Republicans sue for peace.

And even then it's going to take a long time to undo the damage that the recent Supreme Court has done, because Republican voters are far more aware and intelligent when it comes to using the courts as political weapons than Democratic voters have ever been. However futile the opposition to Kavanaugh may be, if it raises awareness among the Democratic base as to the importance of controlling** the courts, the opposition won't have been in vain.

** A word that's consciously chosen. #### the hypocrisy on both sides.

1164. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 15, 2018 at 04:14 PM (#5744888)
Importantly, he also has a cult following that has grown significantly large and passionate.

There is zero evidence this is true.

Oh, it's definitely passionate, but there's evidence that it's shrinking.

1165. McCoy Posted: September 15, 2018 at 04:19 PM (#5744892)
All we have to do is pack the court with two more judges.
   1166. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: September 15, 2018 at 04:21 PM (#5744893)

Right, because the GOP hasn't engaged in smear campaigns against everyone and everything under the sun, when that is the only card they hard.

They didn't bother with that with Gorsuch, only because they had the votes. If you believe anything else about that group of despicables, I have a bridge to sell you.
   1167. Ray (CTL) Posted: September 15, 2018 at 04:36 PM (#5744895)
One of the things conspicuously absent from the Woodward book was any evidence on Russia collusion. Note also that the anonymous 'senior administration official' who wrote the op-ed in the Times also said nothing about collusion.

Via RCP here's Woodward on the subject:

Woodward: No Evidence Of Trump-Russia Collusion, I Searched For Two Years

Posted By Ian Schwartz
On Date September 14, 2018

In an interview with Hugh Hewitt on Friday, Bob Woodward said that in his two years of investigating for his new book, 'Fear,' he found no evidence of collusion or espionage between Trump and Russia. Woodward said he looked for it "hard" and yet turned up nothing.

Hewitt: "So let’s set aside the Comey firing, which as a Constitutional law professor, no one will ever persuade me can be obstruction. And Rod Rosenstein has laid out reasons why even if those weren’t the president’s reasons. Set aside the Comey firing. Did you, Bob Woodward, hear anything in your research in your interviews that sounded like espionage or collusion?" Hugh Hewitt asked Woodward.

"I did not, and of course, I looked for it, looked for it hard," Woodward answered. "And so you know, there we are.
We’re going to see what Mueller has, and Dowd may be right. He has something that Dowd and the president don’t know about, a secret witness or somebody who has changed their testimony. As you know, that often happens, and that can break open or turn a case."

"But you’ve seen no collusion?" Hewitt asked again to confirm.

"I have not," Woodward affirmed.

Now, obviously Mueller has far more tools and thus more of an ability than Bob Woodward does to investigate collusion. (Woodward and Bernstein as I understand it, at least according to one telling, didn't actually organically discover much about Watergate themselves so much as they stumbled upon the investigations and work that was already being done by the government.) So we'll see what we see about Mueller's investigation and do keep hope alive -- he could find something -- but so far collusion has been the dog that didn't hunt. Thus far it's still in the conspiracy theory bin.
   1168. Srul Itza Posted: September 15, 2018 at 05:28 PM (#5744902)
No, just a troll who's excellent at setting tempting bait.

Anyone who responds to Raybot is a mook.
   1169. Ray (CTL) Posted: September 15, 2018 at 05:33 PM (#5744903)
You just responded.
   1170. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 15, 2018 at 05:41 PM (#5744907)
Hewitt: "So let’s set aside the Comey firing, which as a Constitutional law professor, no one will ever persuade me can be obstruction. And Rod Rosenstein has laid out reasons why even if those weren’t the president’s reasons. Set aside the Comey firing. Did you, Bob Woodward, hear anything in your research in your interviews that sounded like espionage or collusion?" Hugh Hewitt asked Woodward.

"I did not, and of course, I looked for it, looked for it hard," Woodward answered. "And so you know, there we are.
We’re going to see what Mueller has, and Dowd may be right. He has something that Dowd and the president don’t know about, a secret witness or somebody who has changed their testimony. As you know, that often happens, and that can break open or turn a case."

Why would anyone who knew anything about any collusion between Trump and Russia either (a) tell Woodward about it, if the person with that knowledge was still in Trump's corner; or (b) if he was ready to spill the beans, why would he talk to Woodward rather than Mueller?

And while we all know that it'd take proven collusion between Trump and Russia for you to pay any attention to Trump's sordid record and (maybe) act accordingly, not everyone thinks that it'd take proof of such collusion to find Trump completely unfit to be president.
   1171. tshipman Posted: September 15, 2018 at 05:57 PM (#5744911)
Woodward's sources were all the establishment Republicans--Gary Cohn, Rob Porter, Reince Priebus--plus Bannon.

None of those guys are people who would know about collusion. That is the Manafort, Clovis + family wing.
   1172. zenbitz Posted: September 15, 2018 at 06:36 PM (#5744915)
Oh look above-it-all Ray is back.

Another perspective: One party separated 10,000 kids from their parents and imprisoned them.

The other is dippy liberals who make lip service to watered down socialism.

1173. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 15, 2018 at 06:42 PM (#5744917)
Maybe the dems are smearing a good man, but if Trump picked him it warrents investigating.

"Trump made us smear Kavanaugh" is a pretty weak argument. To paraphrase liberal law professor Akhil Amar's hearing testimony, Kavanaugh is the leading conservative jurist under 60, and would be the logical, and best qualified, Supreme Court nominee of any GOP President. Kavanaugh has had six FBI background checks during his government service, and unanimously received the ABA's highest rating on his qualifications for the Supreme Court. Kavanaugh was investigated thoroughly, and when that didn't produce anything remotely capable of blocking his confirmation, some Democrats moved on to smears (or for some, had employed that tactic from the beginning).
   1174. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: September 15, 2018 at 06:47 PM (#5744918)
Not even 7:00 on a Saturday night and Clapper is already out of cum for the weekend.
   1175. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 15, 2018 at 07:05 PM (#5744921)
Right, because the GOP hasn't engaged in smear campaigns against everyone and everything under the sun, when that is the only card they hard.

They didn't bother with that with Gorsuch, only because they had the votes. If you believe anything else about that group of despicables, I have a bridge to sell you.
I assume you meant Garland. But what smears did they do of Souter (it was Democrats who smeared him), Ginsburg, Breyer, Kagan, or Sotomayor? Criticism, yes. But what smears?
   1176. perros Posted: September 15, 2018 at 08:24 PM (#5744949)
Kidnapping and false imprisonment is the only way GOPers can get a date.
   1177. BDC Posted: September 15, 2018 at 09:27 PM (#5744972)
Those who may or may not remember the past seem eager to repeat it:

Just two weeks after far-right riots rocked the city of Chemnitz, members of a group of self-ascribed "vigilantes" were taken into custody for targeting foreigners in the eastern German city. The group of about 15 men was accused of disturbing the peace and causing bodily harm, prosecutors said on Saturday.

According to authorities, the men allegedly set out to harass foreigners in a city park on Friday night. They first targeted a birthday celebration, ordering anyone they deemed did not look German to show their identification papers. The partygoers, who were said to be young people of foreign descent, fled the scene and called the police.

The gang were calling themselves "Bürgerwehr," which can have the dictionary meaning "vigilante" but not quite the American connotation of "vigilante," which always seems to me to have more of a torches-and-pitchforks ring. "Bürgerwehr" means literally something like "citizens' guard," and recalls urban militias from the revolutions of 1848 in Germany: maybe "minutemen" would be an analogy. Or "fascist morons" if you prefer.
   1178. zenbitz Posted: September 15, 2018 at 09:34 PM (#5744976)
"Trump made us smear Kavanaugh" is a pretty weak argument.

Maybe don't elect the most corrupt lying scumbag in history and you might have a point.

Also - I will regret people I didn't vote for smearing Kavenough when he's voted on some cases on the SCOTUS and *demonstrated* his worthyness. We all know how qualified Garland was, but you are happy to excuse not even giving him a vote.
   1179. zenbitz Posted: September 15, 2018 at 09:37 PM (#5744977)
@1175 yeah sure contentious Judicial opponents have escalated in the last 30 years. Takes two to tango. ("both sides"). I see no reason to give Republicans quarter when so many of them have refused to disavow CH.
   1180. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 15, 2018 at 09:46 PM (#5744978)
@AP
BREAKING: Authorities say U.S. Border Patrol agent in Texas is suspected of having killed four women and abducting a fifth.
   1181. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: September 15, 2018 at 10:17 PM (#5744980)
BREAKING: Authorities say U.S. Border Patrol agent in Texas is suspected of having killed four women and abducting a fifth.
`

They were asking for it.
   1182. tshipman Posted: September 15, 2018 at 11:32 PM (#5745000)
I assume you meant Garland. But what smears did they do of Souter (it was Democrats who smeared him), Ginsburg, Breyer, Kagan, or Sotomayor? Criticism, yes. But what smears?

Pretty good examples of how Sotomayor was smeared.

This is someone who graduated summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa from Princeton. She was characterized as an affirmative action hire.

Elena Kagan was smeared as a lesbian.
   1183. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: September 15, 2018 at 11:36 PM (#5745001)

Reserving my opinion until we have word whether or not any weed was found in the homes of the women.
   1184. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 16, 2018 at 12:05 AM (#5745004)
Pretty good examples of how Sotomayor was smeared.

If that's the best example you have of Republicans "smearing" a Democratic Supreme Court nominee, you'd be better off posting nothing. The video has Fred Barnes & Karl Rove - commentators, not elected officials - saying she's just an average appellate judge. That's hardly a smear, and not nearly as harsh as noted liberal law professor Larry Tribe's assessment of a possible Sotomayor nomination.

The lack of a cite or link here is not coincidental. While some gays have been eager to claim Kagan as one of their own, and the Washington Post once erroneously stated she was gay, I don't recall any GOP Senator, or significant figure in the party even, raising the issue when she was nominated. Kagan is single, and some across the political spectrum seem to find that conclusive evidence for her being gay, but Kagan and her friends say she isn't. There has been some silliness on the issue, such as whether a news photo of her playing softball was an attempt to "out" her, but that has nothing to do with the GOP.
   1185. Ray (CTL) Posted: September 16, 2018 at 12:08 AM (#5745006)
Why would anyone who knew anything about any collusion between Trump and Russia either (a) tell Woodward about it, if the person with that knowledge was still in Trump's corner; or (b) if he was ready to spill the beans, why would he talk to Woodward rather than Mueller?

If it were so obvious as was the claim one would think it would be fairly easy to find in a two year investigation. Particularly by Bob Woodward and Carl "Worse than Watergate" Bernstein.
   1186. Ray (CTL) Posted: September 16, 2018 at 12:11 AM (#5745007)
Kavanaugh has had six FBI background checks during his government service, and unanimously received the ABA's highest rating on his qualifications for the Supreme Court.

I think at this point the anonymous allegations against Kavanaugh are nothing but smears but assuming arguendo they were true I don't see why we would think the FBI would turn them up in the course of running their standard background checks.
   1187. tshipman Posted: September 16, 2018 at 12:47 AM (#5745013)
If that's the best example you have of Republicans "smearing" a Democratic Supreme Court nominee, you'd be better off posting nothing. The video has Fred Barnes & Karl Rove - commentators, not elected officials - saying she's just an average appellate judge. That's hardly a smear, and not nearly as harsh as noted liberal law professor Larry Tribe's assessment of a possible Sotomayor nomination.

Fox News IS the GOP.
   1188. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 16, 2018 at 07:29 AM (#5745020)

If it were so obvious as was the claim one would think it would be fairly easy to find in a two year investigation. Particularly by Bob Woodward and Carl "Worse than Watergate" Bernstein.

That's assuming that Mueller's office is as prone to leaks as you wish it were. Again, if someone in the White House knew about any collusion, they'd either tell it to Mueller (if they thought it was wrong) or just clam up about it (if they were good loyal little Trumpkins).

P.S. Carl Bernstein is not the co-author of Woodward's book. He works for CNN, not the Washington Post.

And while we all know that it'd take proven collusion between Trump and Russia for you to pay any attention to Trump's sordid record and (maybe) act accordingly, not everyone thinks that it'd take proof of such collusion to find Trump completely unfit to be president.

I'll take your lack of response to that as an admission that only outright collusion with the Russians to rig the 2016 election would render Trump unfit for the presidency. This coincides 100% with the current position of every leading member of the party you claim not to be a part of, but I suppose this coincidence must mean only that great objective minds think alike.

1189. Tom T Posted: September 16, 2018 at 08:58 AM (#5745024)
TFA also speculates that cellphones have played a role in tracking killers, and I would add that cellphones have changed a lot of interpersonal behavior in ways that reduce crime. Americans rarely ask strangers for help anymore, and being asked for help by a stranger sends up a red flag quicker than it used to.

Or they leave us asking how the heck we CAN'T track/find the serial killer -- e.g., Justice for Abby and Libby.

(In fairness, they found the guy they sketched, but something...don't know what...didn't mesh with the investigation and the families -- and, of lesser importance, the rest of us who know them -- still have no answers.)
   1190. Random Transaction Generator Posted: September 16, 2018 at 10:00 AM (#5745032)
   1191. perros Posted: September 16, 2018 at 11:38 AM (#5745043)
Civilizational collapse is here.
   1192. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 16, 2018 at 12:32 PM (#5745047)
One of the things conspicuously absent from the Woodward book was any evidence on Russia collusion.
Ray has been remarkably consistent here. Trump could be an incompetent, insane, racist, pedophilic serial rapist and it wouldn't have anything to do with Russia, and Ray would shrug and say "HA! Not Collusion!"
   1193. greenback slays lewks Posted: September 16, 2018 at 01:46 PM (#5745059)
One of the things conspicuously absent from the Woodward book was any evidence on Russia collusion.

Woodward addresses this in the Nuzzi interview linked-to in #1154:

I’m sorry to get all meta on you.
Oh. Well, you know Hugh Hewitt, you know who he is? A conservative, I did an interview with him and he read the book and he asked questions about Page 248 … and he said that he thinks it is a shame that Trump and people in the White House don’t read it, because he said that he saw some positive things in it. He actually said that he would air-drop copies to all the embassies in Washington so … if they want to see if this is who Trump is. And he said that, oh, it shows no collusion with Russia. Which is true. And I said that I did not find any, but in the end of the book when Dowd is reflecting on the situation, he says, or he concludes, that he and Trump got suckered by Mueller. Turning over all these witness interviews, corroborating documents and so forth, he concludes that Mueller may have something. I don’t know that, but I believe very strongly that the answer to the Russian collusion story is in Russia. Moscow. If somebody who is really going to get to the bottom of the root Russian collusion issue, the answer is in Moscow. If I were to go there, I don’t think I would ever come back.

You think you would be killed?
Yeah. It would be preposterous, given the nature of their regime and how they look at the press and so forth.

It would be preposterous to go there?
Yeah. I think so. Certainly at my age with a family. Maybe if I was 30 and somebody in the CIA was undercover and said, “Come and I can help you.” But that is unlikely, and I am certainly not 30.

Should a younger reporter take the bullet on that one then?
Yeah. What is the Willie Sutton joke about why do you rob banks? Because that is where the money is. Why do you go to the scene, why do you talk to people that were first hand witnesses, why do you try to get documents? Because that where the best version or the best obtainable version of the truth is. In the case of this, I am not going to Moscow.

I doubt there is any meaningful collusion between the Trump campaign and the Russians. The Russians didn't need an explicit quid-pro-quo with the Trump campaign to have substantial incentive to meddle in our affairs as they did. Now they might have wanted a blessing from the Trump campaign to go whole-hog, and the Russians got that permission with the meeting in Trump Tower.
   1194. bobm Posted: September 16, 2018 at 01:54 PM (#5745061)
Trump could be an incompetent, insane, racist, pedophilic serial rapist

Is that what Mueller was tasked to investigate? Are those impeachable offenses? Are any of those things really new news since his inauguration? Not defending Trump here BTW.
   1195. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 16, 2018 at 01:54 PM (#5745062)
(1) No, she wasn't.
(2) That's not a smear in 2010 anyway.
   1196. greenback slays lewks Posted: September 16, 2018 at 02:03 PM (#5745066)
WaPo has some details, including a name. The accusation just became a lot less smear-ish. Kavanaugh has to withdraw.
   1197. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 16, 2018 at 02:10 PM (#5745068)
Kavanaugh has to withdraw.
Greenback molested my kids thirty-six years ago. He should be fired.

Incidentally, since he didn't post it, the story is here.
   1198. greenback slays lewks Posted: September 16, 2018 at 02:16 PM (#5745070)
Greenback molested my kids thirty-six years ago. He should be fired.

Do you really want to be this glib about a rape accusation? Think about it for a minute.
   1199. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 16, 2018 at 02:26 PM (#5745073)
Do you really want to be this glib about a rape accusation? Think about it for a minute.
Seems like you're the one being glib: someone makes a 36-year old accusation, and your response isn't even "The nomination should be delayed while this thing that's impossible to investigate should be investigated," but "He has to withdraw."

We do have a name of an accuser now, to be sure. But she does not know when or where this incident allegedly happened, and -- unlike, e.g., with Roy Moore -- we have nobody saying that she told anyone contemporaneously, and even when she did tell her therapist 30 years later she didn't use Kavanaugh's name.
   1200. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 16, 2018 at 02:28 PM (#5745074)
Whether Kavanaugh "has to withdraw" or not, and while obviously it can't be conclusively verified one way or the other, this hardly sounds like a made-up story. Christine Ford (the now-named woman) hadn't gone public with it before now, but she'd related it previously both to her husband and to her therapist.

And though polygraphs can be gamed, there's this:
For weeks, Ford declined to speak to The Post on the record as she grappled with concerns about what going public would mean for her and her family — and what she said was her duty as a citizen to tell the story.

She engaged Debra Katz, a Washington lawyer known for her work on sexual harassment cases. On the advice of Katz, who believed Ford would be attacked as a liar if she came forward, Ford took a polygraph test administered by a former FBI agent in early August. The results, which Katz provided to The Post, concluded that Ford was being truthful when she said a statement summarizing her allegations was accurate.

Emphasis added. Would Kavanaugh agree to take a similar test?
Page 12 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 10 11 12 13 14 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Mike Emeigh
for his generous support.