Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

OTP 2018 September 10: Former executive Neil McMillan reflects on a long career in baseball, politics and mining

Neil McMillan never made it to the big league, but that hasn’t stopped the former politician, financier and mining executive from blaming his success on the time he spent on the pitcher’s mound all those years ago.

“The real difference in my career … has been a function of my attitude, and it starts out as a willingness or a drive to risk failure,” said McMillan, who recently retired from his last job as chairman of the uranium miner Cameco Corp.

Politics was something of a second choice for McMillan, after a physician ended his lifelong dream of flying for the Snowbirds.

After Trudeau-hating voters turfed him out of office — the alternative would have have been to jump ship and run as a Conservative, an idea he wasn’t prepared to indulge — McMillan spent almost two decades working in finance, as a broker.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 11, 2018 at 08:06 AM | 1379 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: canada, off topic, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 5 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›
   401. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 12, 2018 at 02:33 PM (#5743026)
21% of the country describes Trump's political views as "liberal". We're doomed. Aristotle was wrong. Man is not a political animal. Some perhaps, but not many.
   402. OCF Posted: September 12, 2018 at 02:36 PM (#5743028)
but an hour or so ago there was a convoy of trucks from Alabama Power going past the perimeter up 85 towards the Carolinas.

That's the power companies. There are some other skill sets out there. I saw a little local TV news story a few days ago showing the Los Angeles County Sheriffs Department Swift Water Rescue Team loading some gear onto trucks and boats onto trailers and preparing to drive east. Although I do have to wonder whether there is a reasonably effective incident command giving people like them instructions about where to stage and where they're most needed.

Yes, it does rain in SoCal, and most of the streams are concrete ditches, and people do get in trouble in those ditches - there is a real need for this team, but their busy season would be winter.
   403. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 12, 2018 at 02:36 PM (#5743029)
Middle-class income rose to the highest recorded levels in 2017 and the national poverty rate declined as the benefits of the strong economy lifted the fortunes of more Americans, the U.S. Census reported Wednesday. The median U.S. household earned $61,372 last year, meaning half of the families in the country brought in more income than this and half earned less.

That's 2017 data, more recent reports suggest further improvement.

And yet, somehow, Trump's approval rating dips into the mid-to-high 30s.

How would one explain that?

Maybe it's because only a minority of people get their cues from Fox News or the Daily Caller. They know a deranged moron when they see one.
   404. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: September 12, 2018 at 02:36 PM (#5743031)
And yet, somehow, Trump's approval rating dips into the mid-to-high 30s.

How would one explain that?

The opposition media!
   405. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 12, 2018 at 02:38 PM (#5743032)
In case anyone is still interested in the 2016 presidential election, today the 8th Circuit upheld the dismissal of a lawsuit by a faithless elector who had challenged his replacement under Minnesota’s Uniform Faithful Presidential Electors Act. He tried to vote for Bernie Sanders rather than Hillary Clinton, and was given the boot.
   406. dlf Posted: September 12, 2018 at 02:44 PM (#5743034)
21% of the country describes Trump's political views as "liberal". We're doomed. Aristotle was wrong. Man is not a political animal. Some perhaps, but not many.

Lou Dobbs recently said that GWB was "a radical... What would you call him? A liberal himself. He wasn’t a conservative.”
   407. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: September 12, 2018 at 02:45 PM (#5743036)
Maybe not partisan right-wing, but conservative yes. Norm Macdonald and Bill Burr are the kinds of A+ comics you draft in the first round.

I don't know if Bill Burr is conservative. He makes fun of both sides of the aisle.

Lives in California, married to a black woman, drives a prius.
   408. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 12, 2018 at 02:45 PM (#5743037)
Very interesting twitter thread for anybody interested in Glenn Greenwald and his fondness for Russia.
   409. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 12, 2018 at 02:50 PM (#5743038)

In case anyone is still interested in the 2016 presidential election, today the 8th Circuit upheld the dismissal of a lawsuit by a faithless elector who had challenged his replacement under Minnesota’s Uniform Faithful Presidential Electors Act. He tried to vote for Bernie Sanders rather than Hillary Clinton, and was given the boot.
To be clear, the decision was not on the merits; the 8th Circuit held that it was moot because, well, the election's over.
   410. zenbitz Posted: September 12, 2018 at 03:07 PM (#5743042)
@399 Like I said - I can take her story at face value and still throw her in the slammer for 7-10.
   411. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 12, 2018 at 03:12 PM (#5743044)

lib·er·al

/ˈlib(ə)rəl/

adjective: liberal

1. open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values.

Sure, Trump has VERY liberal political views. Of course the traditional values he is discarding are honesty, integrity, trustworthiness, intelligence, compassion ...well too many to list really.
   412. zenbitz Posted: September 12, 2018 at 03:13 PM (#5743046)
One presumes that those 21% of people just think Liberal means 'idiot'.
   413. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: September 12, 2018 at 03:14 PM (#5743049)
Big Chicago news -

Lincoln Towing has lost its license...

414. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 12, 2018 at 03:15 PM (#5743050)
411- also he’s orange!
   415. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 12, 2018 at 03:23 PM (#5743054)
To be clear, the decision was not on the merits; the 8th Circuit held that it was moot because, well, the election's over.

The Court did fault the elector for not challenging the faithless elector law immediately after the election, so it doesn't seem likely that an elector will be able to just go rogue at the last minute, which makes the effort somewhat more difficult. The episode might also cause political parties to choose more dependable, less roguish electors.
   416. DavidFoss Posted: September 12, 2018 at 03:32 PM (#5743061)
The episode might also cause political parties to choose more dependable, less roguish electors.

The episodes in Washington, Texas and Hawaii would be more of a case for that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there haven't been that many faithless electors since Horace Greeley died between the popular and electoral votes in 1872 -- and in that case being faithless was understandable. Say what you will about the electoral college but it *really* doesn't work if faithless electors had an actual effect. A stray vote every few elections is cute, but seven votes across five people is stupid.
   417. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: September 12, 2018 at 03:34 PM (#5743065)
Aristotle was wrong. Man is not a political animal. Some perhaps, but not many.

No. Aristotle was right. Man is a political animal. The Enlightenment was wrong. Man is not a rational animal. Thus, the politics of the animal, are not rational.
   418. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: September 12, 2018 at 03:36 PM (#5743067)
r/greatawakening has been banned. Juan's return to the hallowed pages of BBTF cannot be far behind.
   419. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: September 12, 2018 at 03:37 PM (#5743068)
Sure, Trump has VERY liberal political views.

No. Trump is neither liberal nor conservative. He is a fascist, which is a third pole of political conviction.
   420. perros Posted: September 12, 2018 at 03:39 PM (#5743070)
   421. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: September 12, 2018 at 03:45 PM (#5743072)
Trump is neither liberal nor conservative.

He is, though, the standard bearer of the Republican Party.
   422. BDC Posted: September 12, 2018 at 03:45 PM (#5743073)
Say what you will about the electoral college but it *really* doesn't work if faithless electors had an actual effect. A stray vote every few elections is cute, but seven votes across five people is stupid

Seven votes, in an election like 2000 that was decided by four, could throw the election into the House … this is not even speculative-fiction territory; all you need is an election combining the closeness of '00 with the weirdness of '16. It will be rare but is quite possible.

Of course, it's hard to see how the House could come up with a worse result than awarding the Presidency to the guy who got 3 million fewer votes. If HRC had by rights won the Electoral College by two votes (flip PA and OH, let's say), and the election been kicked into the House by those Washington voters … Trump would have won the Presidency anyway.

I guess you can say "choose better electors," but if you want electors to have no discretion, simply remove their discretion or remove them as a human element altogether. Elections shouldn't hinge on the discretion of some middleman that nobody truly votes for anymore.
   423. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 12, 2018 at 03:47 PM (#5743074)
418- Ha! Saw they banned MillionDollarExtreme yesterday too.

Sorry fashies, guess you gotta stick to 4chan!
   424. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: September 12, 2018 at 03:48 PM (#5743076)
I don't know if Bill Burr is conservative. He makes fun of both sides of the aisle.

Burr is critical of both sides. Honestly, there's not a lot he won't tackle. I don't always agree with his viewpoints, but they're not usually without some sound reasoning.

His views on PC culture and some women issues have endeared him to the "Ya buncha soy boy snowflakes!" crowd, though his thoughts are usually more nuanced in a way that theirs aren't.

Norm also seems middle of the road politically, which in 2018 can get you hated by both sides depending on what you're saying at that time.
   425. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 12, 2018 at 03:49 PM (#5743077)
The episode might also cause political parties to choose more dependable, less roguish electors.
Yes, because we must focus our concern on the meaningless gestures of electors, not the idiot in the White House who praises dictators and grabs pussies. Good thing Clapper is diligently cataloging these rogues!
   426. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: September 12, 2018 at 03:52 PM (#5743082)
I guess you can say "choose better electors," but if you want electors to have no discretion, simply remove their discretion or remove them as a human element altogether. Elections shouldn't hinge on the discretion of some middleman that nobody truly votes for anymore.

Exactly.

The whole thing is a stupid pointless farce anyway... Now that it's actually managed to do the one thing it was created specifically to STOP from happening - sitting a stupid pointless farce in the WH - we ought to just be done with the nonsense.
   427. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 12, 2018 at 04:06 PM (#5743088)
Very interesting twitter thread for anybody interested in Glenn Greenwald and his fondness for Russia.

Kind of funny, if not surprising, that the self-styled radical Greenwald's biggest fan base is now located in Trumpland.

------------------------------------------------------

r/greatawakening has been banned. Juan's return to the hallowed pages of BBTF cannot be far behind.

Who needs Juan, when we've got David to complain about "censorship even though I wouldn't want the government to force private companies to censor anyone".
   428. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 12, 2018 at 04:12 PM (#5743091)

Aw man, now I have to get my #Qanon fix on Twitter like a prole?
   429. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 12, 2018 at 04:17 PM (#5743094)
GOP Civil War updates I have missed you so ... Right mounts campaign to make Jim Jordan the GOP leader

The bid to empower a rabble-rouser despised by much of the House Republican Conference will almost surely fall short. But success for the groups doesn’t necessarily require Jordan to end up in the top leadership spot.

Their effort could deny California Rep. Kevin McCarthy the 218 votes needed to secure the speakership if Republicans retain the House majority — an outcome conservatives would cheer just as much. And if Republicans lose the majority, the groups intend to demand new leadership, which could wound McCarthy’s bid for minority leader.

The effort marks a rare instance of coordination among at least four prominent outside groups as well as a handful of smaller conservative groups with big nationwide followings. They include Club for Growth, FreedomWorks, Conservative Leadership Fund, Tea Party Patriots, and For America.

I would have thought most of the GOP was too busy dreading November, while tying themselves to GOP President Trump ever tighter, but no the GOP House and other nuts continues to amaze with their ability to focus on what is really truly important.
   430. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: September 12, 2018 at 04:22 PM (#5743101)
538's house forecast took a big jump today

After being a fairly steady 74-78% chance of a D takeover, with an average net gain of 34-36 seats, it's now 83% and 39 seat average gain.
   431. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: September 12, 2018 at 04:22 PM (#5743102)
GOP Civil War updates I have missed you so ... Right mounts campaign to make Jim Jordan the GOP leader

Wait, wait, wait...

What happened to Paul Ryan?
   432. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 12, 2018 at 04:23 PM (#5743104)
So which is climbing faster?

(A) Budget deficit
(B) Increase in number of Trump lies

Budget Deficit Soars xx%
Trump Sets New Dishonesty Record
   433. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 12, 2018 at 04:24 PM (#5743105)
The president's son also remarked that Woodward made "three extra shekels" with his book attacking the Trump administration.

Maybe someone should tell the Trumps that Bernstein is the Jewish guy. Woodward is the Robert Redford one.

I think "shekels" refers to the Jews running the media and bribing people for Fake News. Maybe Juan can help clarify. If not, I understand Little Lord Fauntleray likes to rub shoulders with Eric-The-Half-A-Brain, maybe he can get the straight dope.
   434. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 12, 2018 at 04:24 PM (#5743106)

Nothing. We have been assured he will be House Speaker as long as he wants.
   435. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: September 12, 2018 at 04:34 PM (#5743112)
Eric-The-Half-A-Brain

Love that.
   436. DavidFoss Posted: September 12, 2018 at 04:38 PM (#5743114)
(A) Budget deficit

I know 'deficits don't matter' but a deficit spike at this point in the business cycle is insane. At the end of the 90s boom, they were running surpluses.
   437. TDF, trained monkey Posted: September 12, 2018 at 04:52 PM (#5743118)

Nothing. We have been assured he will be House Speaker as long as he wants.
But he only wants to until the end of the present term.
   438. CheersUnusualPlays Posted: September 12, 2018 at 04:54 PM (#5743120)
Who could have predicted that North Carolina would become more susceptible to rising water levels and more hurricanes? If only there had been some scientific data to help lawmakers respond proactively
   439. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 12, 2018 at 04:56 PM (#5743121)
Science is for nerds, Poindexter.
   440. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 12, 2018 at 05:03 PM (#5743124)
Eric-The-Half-A-Brain

Love that
Semi-carnally...
   441. Ray (CTL) Posted: September 12, 2018 at 05:16 PM (#5743130)
I don’t know if you heard, but this is the same guy who said global warming was a hoax.

I see YR is still being disingenuous. Again, I did say the above in 2008 but years ago reevaluated my position on the matter (isn't that what we're supposed to do?) and thus expressly said here that climate change is not a hoax. Which YR knew at the time, but even if he didn't I reminded him a couple of weeks ago, so he couldn't still be honestly confused about it now. Which means he's just a liar.

But here, let me say it again:

Climate change is not a hoax. I've walked back my position from 2008.

Now each time YR pretends going forward -- and he will, because lying is what he does -- that I still think it's a hoax he's an even bigger liar than the previous times.

I don't mind if he says I once thought/said it was a hoax before I re-evaluated that position, but only a liar presents an old position that someone expressly disavows as one's current position.

--

What value do people here see in 99% of YR's posts? Or Joe's? Or Sam's? For all the wailing about what SBB or YC or JE or me post -- and people may disagree with us but at least we attempt to engage the issues -- there's hardly any ink spilled on the utter worthlessness of YR's, Sam's, and Joe's posts here - among others - which are mainly just flinging poo around the forum.

--

Also: I don't know why folks think that honest or productive discussions go on here. Mostly everyone just has their team colors and they stick to them. Some folks here can't even bring themselves to be honest about the positions of those they disagree with.

This is not people looking at a set of facts and drawing conclusions from them. In between facts and conclusions is emotion, and that makes productive discussions about ideology and politics virtually impossible.
   442. perros Posted: September 12, 2018 at 05:18 PM (#5743132)
Who could have predicted that North Carolina would become more susceptible to rising water levels and more hurricanes? If only there had been some scientific data to help lawmakers respond proactively

Shoulda built that wall already.
   443. Ray (CTL) Posted: September 12, 2018 at 05:22 PM (#5743134)
and Texas being a SYG she has no duty to retreat

That is incorrect. SYG laws require that one be lawfully present in a given location.

What about if one honestly and reasonably believes that one is in one's own home, as the defendant's story apparently is here? (Which is not to say it's true but that's her story and we can talk about the hypothetical.)

Needless to say, you can't break into someone's home and then say, "I had no duty to retreat when the homeowner attacked me."

I haven't followed the case very closely but I'm not aware of any evidence that she "broke in" to the victim's home as a burglar would do.

I assume she will try to claim self-defense; whether that would be successful would turn on whether she could convince a jury that she reasonably believed he was an intruder. But it's not clear that she's even entitled to raise the claim because that defense is not available if the defendant provoked the putative attacker. I am not, however, an expert on how Texas applies its laws in this context, so I will wait for a Texas CDL to weigh in.

Zimmerman provoked the fight with Martin, did he not? And Zimmerman was entitled to claim self defense.

(Again, while it was the correct result under the law, it was complete BS, from a non-legal perspective, that Zimmerman was allowed to provoke a fight with a person who didn't know Zimmerman had a gun, and then, once losing the fight, blow Martin away. There is no cosmic justice that is too harsh for George Zimmerman.)
   444. TDF, trained monkey Posted: September 12, 2018 at 05:24 PM (#5743136)
I don't know why folks think that honest or productive discussions go on here. Mostly everyone just has their team colors and they stick to them. Some folks here can't even bring themselves to be honest about the positions of those they disagree with.
Says the guy who just admitted that as recently as '08 he thought climate change was a hoax.
   445. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 12, 2018 at 05:26 PM (#5743137)

Out of curiosity can you explain what changed your mind? Genuine (not a gotcha) question.

EDIT: I think it is good that you have evolved your position.
   446. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 12, 2018 at 05:32 PM (#5743139)
From that first link in #432:
A CBO report finds the federal budget deficit hit $895 billion in the first 11 months of fiscal 2018, an increase of 32% over the same period the previous year.

Don't worry, the Republicans will get right on the case as soon as a Democrat replaces Trump.

And from the second link in #432:
President Trump “has broken his own dishonesty record for the third consecutive month,” the Toronto Star reports.

Trump made 321 false claims in August. That shattered his previous record of 280, in July, which had beaten his previous record of 268, in June.”

Cue Ray 'n' Scott to say "Now he's got em where he wants em!"
   447. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: September 12, 2018 at 05:32 PM (#5743140)
NC Senator Thom Tillis has come out in the last month as believing that climate change is at least partially caused by humans, after saying the opposite during the 2014 election and making a big stink about wanting the US out of the Paris accord. It's good to see someone's opinions evolve, and to see a Republican in the Senate get onboard. Though of course Tillis has always been a data guy, and no one seriously thinks that he's actually changed his mind. He's just stopped being a lying sack of #### on the topic.
   448. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 12, 2018 at 05:37 PM (#5743145)
Lindsey Graham folks:

More
I just received a call from President @realdonaldtrump about #HurricaneFlorence.

He asked if there was anything his Administration needed to do that was not currently being done for the people of South Carolina.

388 replies 271 retweets 661 likes
Reply 388 Retweet 271 Like 661 Direct message

Lindsey Graham

Verified account

@LindseyGrahamSC
Follow Follow @LindseyGrahamSC
More
I told him we appreciate all that is being done, and the Trump Administration could not have been more responsive.

I know Governor @henrymcmaster shares this view.

2:29 PM - 12 Sep 2018
   449. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 12, 2018 at 05:38 PM (#5743146)
NC Senator Thom Tillis has come out in the last month as believing that climate change is at least partially caused by humans, after saying the opposite during the 2014 election and making a big stink about wanting the US out of the Paris accord. It's good to see someone's opinions evolve, and to see a Republican in the Senate get onboard. Though of course Tillis has always been a data guy, and no one seriously thinks that he's actually changed his mind. He's just stopped being a lying sack of #### on the topic.

Or maybe he just ran out of ink for his underwater pen.
   450. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 12, 2018 at 05:46 PM (#5743149)
I know MacArthur’s Anti “Social Justice” proclamation (post 391) is gonna come up at my Bible study group next week, and I suspect it’s gonna make me long for the civility and decorum of OTP.
   451. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 12, 2018 at 05:49 PM (#5743151)
The trouble with archives:
7. Ray (CTL) Posted: December 20, 2011 at 04:08 PM (#4020083)
There seems little need to counter the nonsense spewed by the climate change cultists anymore,
3431. Ray (CTL) Posted: May 20, 2013 at 04:41 PM (#4447917)
Climate change. Lol.
2008, 2013, same thing.

I keed, I keed. I concur with Mouse, evolution is a good thing. (AND good science!)
   452. DJS Holiday-Related Pun Posted: September 12, 2018 at 05:51 PM (#5743152)

What value do people here see in 99% of YR's posts? Or Joe's? Or Sam's? For all the wailing about what SBB or YC or JE or me post -- and people may disagree with us but at least we attempt to engage the issues -- there's hardly any ink spilled on the utter worthlessness of YR's, Sam's, and Joe's posts here - among others - which are mainly just flinging poo around the forum.

Because as bigoted as YR is or as violent as Rickey is or as insane as Joe is or as senile as Jolly is, they will file in lockstep and swallow every last drop of the Approved Progressive Party Line. Well, the last of the quartet after someone reads him the Dionne/Friedman article that tells him what his opinion is.
   453. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 12, 2018 at 05:52 PM (#5743153)
Ray's evolved from mocking climate change to supporting the president who mocks it. Maybe if Trump hired him he'd join the anonymous resistance.
   454. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: September 12, 2018 at 05:58 PM (#5743156)

Only imbeciles or shills ever said it was a hoax.

as insane as Joe is

Saner than you are, mommyeffer.
   455. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 12, 2018 at 06:22 PM (#5743162)
Look, more idiocy!
After @realDonaldTrump touted an “unsung success” in #puertorico we just confirmed an airport runway-full of FEMA bottled water going to waste nearly a year after Hurricane Maria. Feds blame the locals, locals blame the Feds. Either way, it’s all too contaminated to drink.
But... but...
"I think that Puerto Rico was an incredible, unsung success."

He further claimed that "in a certain way, the best job we did was Puerto Rico, but nobody would understand that. I mean, it's harder to understand."
Well, the "harder to understand" part is not a lie.
   456. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 12, 2018 at 06:23 PM (#5743163)
From the Slate article on the banning of the subreddits today:

Q adherents don’t seem too bent out of shape about the removal of one of their main boards. On another subreddit dedicated to the discussion of banned boards, some Q enthusiasts seem to think that this is all part of the plan: “Q was talking about some BIG THING happening soon, yesterday. Guess he was off by a day. Q KNEW, THOUGH, THAT PROVES HE’S REAL AND THAT MEANS THE DEEP STATE PEDOPHILE CABAL IS REAL!”

Link

JFC ...
   457. Lassus Posted: September 12, 2018 at 06:25 PM (#5743165)
I have a new poll for Clapper: the anonymous PGA poll from this month's issue of GOLF magazine!

Among other questions about golfing, there was this:

DID YOU VOTE FOR TRUMP?

Yes: 56%
No: 12%
Ineligible: 18%
Didn't vote: 14%

IF HE RUNS AGAIN IN 2020, WILL YOU VOTE FOR HIM?

Yes: 42%
No: 20%
Ineligible: 19%
Undecided: 14%
Won't vote: 5%

When you're losing the PGA conservatives, there's a problem.
   458. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 12, 2018 at 06:28 PM (#5743166)
One of the Q drops a couple of weeks ago was just Q complaining about the lag times on XBox Live that night.

......And the ensuing reddit thread was still full of believers debating its significance.

To me it was by far the nuttiest part of the whole saga.
   459. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 12, 2018 at 06:38 PM (#5743167)
I don’t know if you heard, but this is the same guy who said global warming was a hoax.

I see YR is still being disingenuous. Again, I did say the above in 2008 but years ago reevaluated my position on the matter (isn't that what we're supposed to do?) and thus expressly said here that climate change is not a hoax. Which YR knew at the time, but even if he didn't I reminded him a couple of weeks ago, so he couldn't still be honestly confused about it now. Which means he's just a liar.

Where’s the lie, Little Lord? I said, very clearly, “this is the same guy who said global warming was a hoax.”

That’s true. 100% undeniably true. So where’s the lie?

You’re lying about me lying! That’s the lyingest lying there is! You’re a reflexively dishonest phony.

Now each time YR pretends going forward -- and he will, because lying is what he does -- that I still think it's a hoax he's an even bigger liar than the previous times.

You haven’t shown me lying even once. Your unfounded claims to the contrary are the sort of casual, assertive confabulation that the legal profession is known and reviled for. Your overt and enthusiastic support of Donnie the Dunderhead aren’t based on any sort of shared political or economic position - no Little Lord, you look at a shameless serial liar and you’re envious at how far his open dishonesty takes him. Game recognize game doesn’t it.

Well I can’t speak for the others, they’re big boys although Joe isn’t nearly as big as he used to be because he isn’t a fat lazy slob like your boy Two Pump Trump. But maybe there’s some value in the fact that while you are reflexively dishonest and disingenuous, I’m exactly what I say I am - a handsome, sexy, hilarious, accomplished Jewish redneck who hasn’t had the shameful privilege of being a cloistered human veal like, say, you.
   460. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 12, 2018 at 06:39 PM (#5743168)
Because as bigoted as YR is or as violent as Rickey is or as insane as Joe is or as senile as Jolly is, they will file in lockstep and swallow every last drop of the Approved Progressive Party Line.

You got that fellas? Your boy is a hippie-approved bigot. No, no, don’t try and make sense of it. Just let the dumbth wash over you like hot fudge. Mmmmmmm.....
   461. zenbitz Posted: September 12, 2018 at 06:44 PM (#5743169)
THE DEEP STATE PEDOPHILE CABAL IS REAL!

The Vatican is the Deep State? Wheels within Wheels!! What about The Queen\, The Rothschilds, The Gettys, and Col. Sanders before he went tits up!
   462. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: September 12, 2018 at 06:44 PM (#5743170)
they’re big boys although Joe isn’t nearly as big as he used to be

Wait, what? LOL
   463. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 12, 2018 at 06:45 PM (#5743171)
There are like 2-3 issues left that don’t break down into Red Shirt/Blue Shitt. Those are fun.
   464. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 12, 2018 at 06:48 PM (#5743172)
More potential fun from Florence:

In September 1999, Hurricane Floyd came ashore near Cape Fear as a category 2 storm that dumped about 2ft of water on a region already soaked days earlier by Hurricane Dennis. The result was the worst natural disaster in state history, a flood that killed dozens of people and left whole towns underwater, with residents stranded on rooftops.

The bloated carcasses of hundreds of thousands of hogs, chickens and other drowned livestock bobbed in a nose-stinging soup of fecal matter, pesticides, fertilizer and gasoline so toxic that fish flopped helplessly on the surface to escape it. Rescue workers smeared Vick’s VapoRub under their noses to try to numb their senses against the stench.

Florence is forecast to make landfall in the same region as a much stronger storm.

The Environmental Protection Agency said Tuesday that it would be monitoring nine toxic waste cleanup sites near the Carolinas coast for potential flooding. More than a dozen such Superfund sites in and around Houston flooded last year in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey, with spills of potentially hazardous materials reported at two.

Also of concern are more than two dozen massive coal ash pits operated by Duke Energy. The gray ash that remains after coal is burned contains potentially harmful amounts of mercury, arsenic and lead.

Since power plants need vast amounts of water to generate steam, their unlined waste pits are located along lakes and rivers. Some of the pits were inundated during past storms, including during Floyd and Hurricane Matthew in 2016.

After a 2014 spill at a Duke plant that coated 70 miles of the Dan River in toxic gray sludge, state regulators forced the Charlotte-based company to begin phasing out its coal ash pits by 2029. Because that work was already underway, wastewater levels inside the ash ponds have been falling, Duke Energy spokesman Bill Norton said Tuesday.

Link
   465. DavidFoss Posted: September 12, 2018 at 06:49 PM (#5743173)
I am in no way a climate change denier but you don't need climate change to know that hurricanes are going to hit the coast every so often. If anything, the problem in NC is that it has been ~20 years since Fran & Floyd and there has been substantial population growth since then.
   466. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 12, 2018 at 06:57 PM (#5743177)
Who could have predicted that North Carolina would become more susceptible to rising water levels and more hurricanes?

More major hurricanes aren't hitting North Carolina or the United States. In fact, we just completed the longest period without a major hurricane hitting the eastern U.S., 2005-2017.
   467. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 12, 2018 at 06:57 PM (#5743178)
I am in no way a climate change denier but you don't need climate change to know that hurricanes are going to hit the coast every so often. If anything, the problem in NC is that it has been ~20 years since Fran & Floyd and there has been substantial population growth since then.

Well sure, but the other problem is that warmer waters leads to larger, more powerful storms. This is basic physics. Your point however illustrates that climate change + population growth is going to be a huge drain on the economy. Get used to billion dollar recoveries. Good for contractors, not so much anybody else.

More major hurricanes aren't hitting North Carolina or the United States. In fact, we just completed the longest period without a major hurricane hitting the eastern U.S., 2005-2017.

Thanks mostly to a technicality on Sandy not being classified a Hurricane when it hit land. The storms are getting freakier and more intense. This isn't up for debate (That such a storm like Sandy had the energy to even sustain itself as it headed north and through the cooler waters is evidence of that). Where they make landfall in any given year is anybody's guess. Hard to predict complex systems and all that.
   468. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 12, 2018 at 07:08 PM (#5743183)
In fact, we just completed the longest period without a major hurricane hitting the eastern U.S., 2005-2017.

Thanks mostly to a technicality on Sandy
Or storms like Ike, that were Majors for awhile and hit Texas as only a 2.

There's bigger storms, more often, the past few years. Just because they don't hit the US doesn't mean much.

469. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 12, 2018 at 07:15 PM (#5743187)
He’s doing it because you called him mean things.

Breaking News: The U.S. is holding a record 12,800 migrant children in detention, a fivefold increase from May 2017, data obtained by The Times shows

But let’s get back to talking about what a big uncivil weenie I am, hmmm?
   470. perros Posted: September 12, 2018 at 07:16 PM (#5743188)
Also of concern are more than two dozen massive coal ash pits operated by Duke Energy. The gray ash that remains after coal is burned contains potentially harmful amounts of mercury, arsenic and lead.

They are already allowed to dump that #### in the river on purpose. The biggest concern is shutting down an ancient nuclear plant at the mouth of the Cape Fear.
   471. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: September 12, 2018 at 07:19 PM (#5743190)
perros, how far are you from the storm's path?
   472. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 12, 2018 at 07:21 PM (#5743193)
There seems to be some competition on the left to be the most anti-Trump - and folks here may have some catching up to do. Las Vegas Professor Shot Himself In Arm To Protest Trump:
A longtime College of Southern Nevada sociology professor is facing felony gun charges in connection with an on-campus shooting on the second day of classes. Mark J. Bird, 69, was charged last month with discharging a gun within a prohibited structure, carrying a concealed weapon without a permit and possessing a dangerous weapon on school property, court records show. He was found bleeding from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to his arm about 8:15 a.m. on Aug. 28 outside a bathroom in the Charleston campus K building.
. . .
One college employee told police that he held Bird’s hand to calm him down as others tried to stop the bleeding. While waiting for authorities to arrive, Bird said he had shot himself in protest of President Donald Trump, police noted in their report.

I don't recommend the tactic.
   473. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 12, 2018 at 07:29 PM (#5743194)
They are already allowed to dump that #### in the river on purpose. The biggest concern is shutting down an ancient nuclear plant at the mouth of the Cape Fear.

Beautiful clean coal! Often say this but my dad was a reactor operator that eventually got promoted and transferred to environmental quality director at a coal plant -- the coal plant safety and environmental quality team was an absolute joke compared to at the nuke plant. And you could walk all around the property outside the nuke plant and be greeted with pristine upper midwest beaches, forest and water. Outside the coal plant? Trenches filled with toxic dust, tailings ponds the color or bourbon, and a layer of coal dust on your car's hood when you left at the end of the day. No doubt inside your lungs as well.

Coal plants are nasty, gross things that served a very important purpose and are now no longer needed. Get rid of them. We have better options.

As for the nuke plant in the storm's way -- they'll be fine. Reactor will be scrammed and they pay every attention to detail to make sure they come out the other side safely. Main worry would be a loss of power (and thus loss of pumps for cooling and water control), but they will have had plenty of time to get their diesel generators lined up and safely operating (unlike at Fukishima) and they will be fine, even with a total grid outage over multiple days.

But let’s get back to talking about what a big uncivil weenie I am, hmmm?

CNN is reporting that over 200 million has been diverted into ICE this year, including from FEMA and DHS. What a ####### joke. Diverting anti-terrorism and emergency disaster resources to virtue signal to racists and separate migrant families. Sickening on more than one level.
   474. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: September 12, 2018 at 07:31 PM (#5743195)
perros and everyone else down there, be safe.
   475. perros Posted: September 12, 2018 at 07:33 PM (#5743197)
Right on it.
   476. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 12, 2018 at 07:38 PM (#5743198)
CNN is reporting that over 200 million has been diverted into ICE this year, including from FEMA and DHS

I believe it's only 9.8 million from FEMA and not from the direct disaster relief fund, so there's some small comfort.

But, yeah, not a good look ...
   477. perros Posted: September 12, 2018 at 07:42 PM (#5743200)
It's a 60's era Fukushima design. I'm sure the chance of catastrophe is between slim and none, but #### happens.
   478. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 12, 2018 at 07:48 PM (#5743203)
But, yeah, not a good look ...

I'm surprised he let the official NOAA account tweet about the relationship between hurricanes and AGW.

Given the rumblings that he was going to severely narrow their mission and put curbs on their AGW research I'm sure the "very stable genius" just didn't ####### see it.

It's a 60's era Fukushima design. I'm sure the chance of catastrophe is between slim and none, but #### happens.

It will be fine. The main problem at Fukishima was a lack of preparation and poor emergency planning in general. Post Three Mile Island the NRC has regulated (and drilled) operators to death in the US. They are ready.
   479. perros Posted: September 12, 2018 at 07:55 PM (#5743204)
They are ready.

If you read the story, they wouldn't have been if not for Fukushima, where I'm sure they felt 100 percent prepared, too. I've been inside that plant* and live not that far away, and am not terribly worried in general, but accidents happen at every plant. That's thing's nearly as old as me. And I know shutting down and restarting is like taking off and landing a plane -- the riskiest part.

* actually passed the operator test, but they have plenty of Navy vets for those jobs.
   480. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: September 12, 2018 at 07:57 PM (#5743206)

Would that be clean coal ash?

Isn't coal supposed to be indestructible?
   481. Howie Menckel Posted: September 12, 2018 at 08:04 PM (#5743212)
MSNBC's Chris Hayes now on Michael Moore in Moore's hometown of Flint, MI. should be interesting.
whatever one thinks of Moore, he did a better job than the "experts" of warning about the Rust Belt's volatility in the 2016 election.
   482. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: September 12, 2018 at 08:04 PM (#5743213)
A little mood music for the politics thread, because it's got a good beat and you can dance to it.
   483. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 12, 2018 at 08:10 PM (#5743215)
That is dope. Very dope. Tres dope, as the French would say in France.
   484. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 12, 2018 at 08:13 PM (#5743219)
I assume Moore is also promoting his new documentary, Fahrenheit 11/9.
   485. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 12, 2018 at 08:18 PM (#5743223)
@nytimes
Breaking News: The U.S. is holding a record 12,800 migrant children in detention, a fivefold increase from May 2017, data obtained by The Times shows

My heart grieves when I realize that some of those poor children haven’t even learned that Paul Manafort got indicted.
   486. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 12, 2018 at 08:19 PM (#5743224)
It's kinda amazing what Fox allows Lou Dobbs' crew to tweet (and his right wing supporter's lack of self awareness, can you imagine if CNN tweeted "REDUMBLICANS..."):

More
#LeftWingViolence – Radical Dimms, Antifa, and their allies in Hollywood try to incite violence against President @realDonaldTrump. I take this up and more with @TuckerCarlson 8pm ET FNC. #MAGA #TrumpTrain #Dobbs

"Dimms", good one Lou.
   487. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 12, 2018 at 08:21 PM (#5743225)
A little mood music for the politics thread, because it's got a good beat and you can dance to it.

Big fan of the Coup. Storytelling rap at its best.
   488. Howie Menckel Posted: September 12, 2018 at 08:56 PM (#5743231)
I assume Moore is also promoting his new documentary, Fahrenheit 11/9.

He is. But it doesn't have the feel of a "sell" - this not a bad time to talk about the 2016 election, and as I say, he has credibility there for sure.

nice touch that MSNBC brought in a few non-voters. one college kid said the Democrats should have offered a candidate who "inspired" him. poor Chris Hayes is exasperated - "an election isn't a performance for you!"

Moore found that while Hillary lost there by 10,000 or so votes, almost 90,000 Michiganders voted for lower offices - but then passed on making a pick for President. the college kid mentioned that he feels like NAFTA screwed his town, and Hillary didn't disavow her husband's role in that. it made one feel even more as if the Democrats only had one possible candidate who could lose to Trump - and they nominated her.

also, there is much on the continuing Flint water crisis - which is about as big a government disaster as one can think of. not quite "you had one job..." but geesh, if you can't ensure safe drinking water for your residents, what good are you? and of course the locals didn't even have a say in voting for those who were responsible.
   489. McCoy Posted: September 12, 2018 at 08:57 PM (#5743232)
Insane story out of Florida. A white man refused to allow four black men from entering an apartment building he didn't even live in and it turns out he was holding a gun during the encounter.

After the video goes viral it turns out he was a general manager of a Wyndham hotel. I said was because as soon as it went viral they fired him.

Nobody as of yet knows why he was at the apartment building, why he wouldn't let guys in, and why he was holding a gun. Some theorize that he was trying to provide them so he could fire on them and claim stand your ground.

Personally I think he had either a kid living at the building or a GF and for whatever reason his inner racist kicked in and he wasn't going to let the black guys into the building where someone he cared about was living.
   490. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 12, 2018 at 09:14 PM (#5743239)
Insane story out of Florida.

By Florida standards this one is par for the course. You like that golf pun? For Florida, ya know?
   491. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 12, 2018 at 09:15 PM (#5743241)

That's not the only problem in North Carolina. As was reported in the article I linked to in #374:
Hurricane Florence is expected to create significant storm surge in North Carolina, in part because human-caused climate change has raised sea levels in the region by several inches since 1954, the last time a Category 4 storm hit the state.
   492. Howie Menckel Posted: September 12, 2018 at 09:16 PM (#5743242)
wow, Moore is killing it on the water crisis - and on a 2015 US Army exercise where, without warning, they decided that there were enough abandoned buildings in Flint that it would be a cool place to hold aerial target practice. yes, under Obama. he doesn't care about who was President. it happened.

it makes it all the more frustrating how often he has exaggerated, selectively edited, and otherwise undermined his credibility.
   493. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 12, 2018 at 09:38 PM (#5743252)
@NYCalerts
BREAKING NEWS: at least 7 NYPD officials have been arrested by the FBI and NYPD IAB for running a prostitution ring, more details soon.

Only 7?
   494. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 12, 2018 at 09:52 PM (#5743264)
   495. Howie Menckel Posted: September 12, 2018 at 09:53 PM (#5743265)
an Atlantic City casino is offering free rooms to anyone evacuating the affected areas of NC & SC.

it's a 6-year-old, $2B property. very nice.

that said, it's called Ocean Resort for a reason. if these evacuees look out the window, they will see the very Atlantic that may swallow up their homes down south.

or they could walk out back of the casino, cross the Boardwalk, and dip their toes in the water.

https://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/ac_impact/ocean-resort-casino-offering-free-lodging-to-those-affected-by/article_47d4cb6b-8d7e-567a-b580-0979912b5027.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share
   496. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 12, 2018 at 10:07 PM (#5743275)
Senate Judiciary Committee Democrats, having failed to derail Brett Kavanaugh's Supreme Court nomination at his hearing, have now apparently adopted a death by a thousand paper cuts strategy, submitting 1,278 post-hearing questions to Kavanaugh. The seriousness of this effort may be demonstrated by Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) trying to make something out of Kavanaugh's Washington Nationals season tickets:
Did you tell the White House that you built up the debt by buying Washington Nationals season tickets for playoff games for yourself and a “handful” of friends?

For how many seasons have you purchased Washington Nationals season tickets?

How many tickets did you purchase each year? What was the overall cost and cost per ticket?

Please identify the individuals for whom you purchased baseball tickets.

For each individual listed in the previous question, what financial arrangement, if any, was agreed to with respect to your purchase and their reimbursement of the cost of the baseball tickets?

Did you purchase any baseball tickets for friends in lieu of paying them back for personal debts? If yes, please specify the source and amount of each debt.

For each of 2015 and 2016, what percentage of your credit card debt would you attribute to home improvements? Please also explain what home improvements were undertaken and when.

Besides baseball season tickets and home improvements, did you have any other sources of personal or household debt from 2015 through 2018? If so, please specify.

Also of interest are Whitehouse's questions about gambling:
Since 2000, have you participated in any form of gambling or game of chance or skill with monetary stakes, including but not limited to poker, dice, golf, sports betting, blackjack, and craps? If yes, please list the dates, participants, location/venue, and amounts won/lost.

Do you play in a regular or periodic poker game? If yes, please list the dates, participants, location/venue, and amounts won/lost.

Have you ever gambled or accrued gambling debt in the State of New Jersey?

Have you ever had debt discharged by a creditor for losses incurred in the State of New Jersey?

Have you ever sought treatment for a gambling addiction?

If the Dems had anything here, they'd have used it at the hearing, but questioning any Citizen about his attendance at the National Pastime is almost un-American. Maybe Rhode Island is OK with an anti-baseball, anti-gambling & anti-New Jersey Senator, but some have higher standards.

On the more legal questions, most can be easily dismissed by reiterating the prohibition on giving opinions, previews, hints or forecasts on issues that may come before the Court, and avoiding commenting on the political activities of others. Kavanaugh's responses were due today - he may have needed to use rubber stamps for the more repetitive questions - but haven't seen any news reports yet.
   497. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 12, 2018 at 10:15 PM (#5743279)
an Atlantic City casino is offering free rooms to anyone evacuating the affected areas of NC & SC.

it's a 6-year-old, $2B property. very nice.

that said, it's called Ocean Resort for a reason. if these evacuees look out the window, they will see the very Atlantic that may swallow up their homes down south.

or they could walk out back of the casino, cross the Boardwalk, and dip their toes in the water.

Or they could walk back into the casino and lose their house the easy way.
   498. Howie Menckel Posted: September 12, 2018 at 10:18 PM (#5743282)
well played

"Since 2000, have you participated in any form of gambling or game of chance or skill with monetary stakes, including but not limited to poker, dice, golf, sports betting, blackjack, and craps? If yes, please list the dates, participants, location/venue, and amounts won/lost."

I'm not much of a gambler, but this would take even me months to figure out - just from 18 years of fantasy baseball in that span.

oh, wait......
   499. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 12, 2018 at 10:27 PM (#5743287)
A) As anyone with a whiff of real world experience could tell you, the likeliest explanation for Kavanaugh’s zillion baseball tickets was that it was a cover for illicit activity—senate dems are far from the first to connect that most obvious of dots. (That said, I doubt they’ll turn anything up, but, you never know, most criminals are really dumb.)

B) Their constituents want these red state Democrats to oppose Kavanaugh :

Among likely Democratic voters in...

Missouri: 35% said they would be less likely to vote for Sen. Claire McCaskill if she votes for Kavanaugh.
Indiana: 35% said they would be less likely to vote for Sen. Joe Donnelly if he votes for Kavanaugh.
Florida: 31% said they would be less likely to vote for Sen. Bill Nelson if he votes for Kavanaugh.
West Virginia: 30% said they would be likely less to vote for Sen. Joe Manchin if he votes for Kavanaugh.
North Dakota: 26% said they would be likely less to vote for Sen. Heidi Heitkamp if she votes for Kavanaugh.

500. OCF Posted: September 12, 2018 at 10:29 PM (#5743292)
flip
Page 5 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Sheer Tim Foli
for his generous support.