Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

OTP 2018 September 10: Former executive Neil McMillan reflects on a long career in baseball, politics and mining

Neil McMillan never made it to the big league, but that hasn’t stopped the former politician, financier and mining executive from blaming his success on the time he spent on the pitcher’s mound all those years ago.

“The real difference in my career … has been a function of my attitude, and it starts out as a willingness or a drive to risk failure,” said McMillan, who recently retired from his last job as chairman of the uranium miner Cameco Corp.

Politics was something of a second choice for McMillan, after a physician ended his lifelong dream of flying for the Snowbirds.

After Trudeau-hating voters turfed him out of office — the alternative would have have been to jump ship and run as a Conservative, an idea he wasn’t prepared to indulge — McMillan spent almost two decades working in finance, as a broker.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 11, 2018 at 08:06 AM | 1379 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: canada, off topic, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 8 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 >  Last ›
   701. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 13, 2018 at 02:53 PM (#5743762)
That just illustrates how few years Republicans have controlled the Senate and how rare Supreme Court nominations are. A GOP Senate hasn't voted on any Supreme Court nominee by a Democratic President since Peckham, although they did decline to consider one nominee, Merrick Garland.

So, your Republicans-give-Democrats a walk-in-the-park analogy is a complete lie then? Or what about your threats of future hardball tactics because Republicans 'enjoy a structural advantage' in the Senate. You'll be much worse than what?

Democrats recently becoming much less competitive in a region that they once completely dominated has changed the calculus on which party has a structural advantage in controlling the Senate. It isn't 1895 anymore. I don't see how we can have so many posts here complaining about that, and the equal representation principle underlying the Senate, and then have folks object when it is noted that present policies should consider the likelihood of future outcomes resulting from the structural advantage the Senate currently affords the GOP. In the unlikely, IMHO, event of a President Warren, how can she object to anything a GOP Senate would do to her nominees when she has voted against virtually all of Trump's nominees? Is this going to be like Obama belatedly saying that he was wrong to vote against Roberts & Alito (along with Biden, Clinton, Reid, Schumer & scores more), so please promptly confirm his nominees?

Again, look at how the GOP treated Ginsburg & Breyer, voting overwhelming for both. As Ginsburg noted in the excerpt in #637, they weren't stealth nominees - the GOP knew they were getting judicial liberals, an ACLU General Counsel & Teddy Kennedy's Judiciary Committee Counsel. We are where we are now because Senate Democrats didn't apply the same standard to Roberts & Alito.
   702. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 13, 2018 at 03:03 PM (#5743768)

(yes it’s that stupid).
Almost as stupid as claiming that not confirming someone is "stealing" his seat!
   703. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 13, 2018 at 03:03 PM (#5743769)
We are where we are now because Senate Democrats didn't apply the same standard to Roberts & Alito.

No matter what the issue is, blame the Democrats. Which extends even to "How did we end up with a corrupt and incompetent President?"
   704. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 13, 2018 at 03:04 PM (#5743771)
(yes it’s that stupid).

Almost as stupid as claiming that not confirming someone is "stealing" his seat!

But not as stupid as saying taxes are theft, paid at gunpoint, and that global warming is a hoax.
   705. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 13, 2018 at 03:07 PM (#5743776)
A privileged upper middle class catholic school boy getting a little rapey and everybody (including the victim) pretending it never happened on his way to the top?

I bet he went to an all-boys school too. Naughty naughty. The poophole isn't a loophole.
   706. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 13, 2018 at 03:08 PM (#5743777)
Starting to understand why Trump picked him in the first place. Other judges were definitely more conservative, but Kavanaugh’s combination of corruption and rape pushed him to the head of the line!
At long last, have you no sense of decency?

(I mean, you're a commie, so no, by definition.)
   707. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: September 13, 2018 at 03:08 PM (#5743778)
OTOTP - Baseball

David Wright will play the final weekend at Citi Field, starting at 3B, then he will retire.

RE5PECT
   708. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 13, 2018 at 03:10 PM (#5743779)
Uhoh, Nieporent is worked up. Some might say "triggered".
   709. Count Posted: September 13, 2018 at 03:11 PM (#5743780)
You can’t assume anything from the Kavanaugh letter unless actual details come out and/or the woman goes public - we have no idea what the accusation is, let alone whether it’s true.
   710. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: September 13, 2018 at 03:15 PM (#5743786)
I’m shocked that the most obviously corrupted/blackmailed Supreme Court candidate in history has a criminal background.
   711. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: September 13, 2018 at 03:16 PM (#5743787)

the tshipmans and Clappers won't magically start working together again.

Again? Did they ever?
   712. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: September 13, 2018 at 03:18 PM (#5743789)
In other worked up news -

Lots of angry conservatives over the fact that Willie Nelson is going to do a rally/concert for Beto... because golly, who'da thunk one of the country's most famous hippies would do that!

I'm closing in on the point where I might be willing to place an even-money Beto bet... not there yet, but getting closer by the day.
   713. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 13, 2018 at 03:19 PM (#5743793)
I refuse to believe these Brett Kavanaugh rape whispers until it's confirmed that it happened in the basement of a pizzeria.
   714. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: September 13, 2018 at 03:19 PM (#5743794)
So, looking at 538's house projection map. 82.5% of D's retaking the house. Average of 39 seat gain. It's remarkable how few currently held D seats are in any kind of remote danger. Any seat less than 95% but greater than 75% is rated as Likely D. There are 4 of those. between 60% and 75% is lean D. There is 1 of those. Neither party > 60% is tossup. There is one of those (MN 8). There is one lean R currently held by the D's (MN 1). And that's it. All other D held seats are Solid D, meaning 95% or greater. There are 19 R held tossups, and of the seats where the incumbent party is behind, 29 of 30 are R held.
   715. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 13, 2018 at 03:22 PM (#5743797)
Lots of angry conservatives over the fact that Willie Nelson is going to do a rally/concert for Beto

Ted Cruz should retaliate with a rock concert by Mike Huckabee.
   716. Swoboda is freedom Posted: September 13, 2018 at 03:22 PM (#5743798)
David Wright will play the final weekend at Citi Field, starting at 3B, then he will retire.

RE5PECT

Since it is the Marlins, the games won't mean anything. I hope one of the Marlins pitchers have the decency to groove a couple of balls in there.
   717. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: September 13, 2018 at 03:27 PM (#5743802)
If I were on the senate judiciary committee here’s what I would ask

“So Brett, how you doing today?”
“Good.”
“I mean....really. Tell me what’s going on. It’s ok.”
”....I.....I....I’m just in so deep!!! Every time I try to get out they just pull me right back in!”
“It’s gonna be ok, we’ll work this out.”
”They’re threatening my family if I don’t do this, man!
   718. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 13, 2018 at 03:28 PM (#5743803)
Re: #714--
The redistricted PA-14 is an open seat that the GOP is hugely favored to flip. The Democratic incumbent is switching to the 18th district. The vacated PA-14 seat is likely to be the only Republican House pickup.
   719. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: September 13, 2018 at 03:31 PM (#5743806)
The redistricted PA-14 is an open seat that the GOP is hugely favored to flip. The Democratic incumbent is switching to the 18th district. The vacated PA-14 is likely to be the only Republican House pickup.

Ok. 538 doesn't indicate it's a party flip. It's solid red, with no diagonal lines.
   720. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 13, 2018 at 03:31 PM (#5743807)
Lots of angry conservatives over the fact that Willie Nelson is going to do a rally/concert for Beto... because golly, who'da thunk one of the country's most famous hippies would do that!

I'm old enough to remember when country music was cool and dangerous. Now it's a bunch of fancy lads mooning about drinking Bud Light in the pickup truck with their middle school sweethearts.
   721. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 13, 2018 at 03:32 PM (#5743808)
Ted Cruz should retaliate with a rock concert by Mike Huckabee.

Ted Nugent, Kid Rock, and The Sons of Skrewdriver. Special appearance by Tucker Carlson playing the national anthem on a harmonica.
   722. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: September 13, 2018 at 03:38 PM (#5743813)
Why? Because people are on the beach 24 hours before the storm hits?

Yeah, and they said they were staying to protect their property. A few people said they had pets, like donkeys and goats, that they couldn't jut load up and eave with, so, yeah, I worry about the storm surge and the floodwaters. This sounds like it could be Katrina-like, because of the slow pace of the storm and all the high tides they have to endure with no way for the waters to recede in between them.

Listen, I hope you're right.
   723. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 13, 2018 at 03:40 PM (#5743816)
Starting to understand why Trump picked him in the first place. Other judges were definitely more conservative, but Kavanaugh’s combination of corruption and rape pushed him to the head of the line!

Trump....hmmmm....I wonder if any of that mysterious debt money was used to pay off someone for their silence, as Trump had done repeatedly.

Is it irresponsible to speculate? It would be irresponsible not to.
   724. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: September 13, 2018 at 03:43 PM (#5743817)
South of Wilmington through SC is where all the coastal population is. They've all seen dozens of hurricanes. Charleston is one of the oldest cities in the country. I'm not saying you can't get hurt doing something stupid in the middle of the storm but these cities have been built and rebuilt so many times. They should all know the drill.
Charleston is now subject to regular sunny day flooding, which it wasn't 20 years ago. They've done some work on their drainage system to mitigate that, but the peninsula is still extremely vulnerable. There's only so much they can do; most of it is only about 10 feet above sea level. Charleston isn't as doomed as Miami is, but it's going to have a very hard time of it.

Hurricane Floyd killed 51 people in NC in 1999, mainly from flooding. Most of those who died were alongside one of the river systems inland, not along the coast. Florence probably won't kill so many people; the rain with Floyd came very suddenly and very hard, which caught people unawares. Florence is going to dump more rain, but we've known that for a long time. Property damage along the coast and along the rivers is going to be significant.
   725. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 13, 2018 at 03:43 PM (#5743818)
Trump is milking this hurricane for all its worth on twitter. Can only imagine the right wing response if Obama was live tweeting his response to the storm.
   726. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 13, 2018 at 03:48 PM (#5743820)
Let's look to the maps... OF THE FUTURE.

538's Nate Silver:
The decline of the incumbency advantage is both very important and weirdly overlooked. It's a big part of why Democrats could gain 30, 40, 50 seats this year despite districts being much more polarized than they once were.

In fact, the incumbency advantage is much smaller than it once was, so it wouldn't surprise me to start seeing House control flip back and forth between the parties more often, especially if redistricting produces a relatively neutral map starting in 2022.

RCP's Sean Trende:

‏The thing about these Senate races is that they really set the stage for 2020/22. Rs probably have to get up to 53 or 54 seats to feel good about holding serve until they get another shot at this D class in 2024.

In 2020 there is a seat that probably leans their way absent another meltdown: Alabama. But there are 4-5 problematic R seats: AZ, CO, NC, ME, and IA, with maybe GA or SC, depending. If Trump is losing, losing 3-4 net seats is pretty realistic.

If he wins, the GOP probably comes out of that with no net loss or maybe a loss of 1 seat. But then we come to 2022.

If Trump loses, the GOP probably is insulated in this class, but they've also probably lost 3-4 seats in the previous election (hence 53-54 being the magic number). If Trump wins, 2022 could be a bloodbath.

Ds have some potential vulnerability in NH/CO/NV, but probably not with a GOP POTUS. GOP has seats in AZ, IA, MO, WI, IN, OH, PA, NC, FL. The good news for the GOP is it that none of these are solid blue seats, and they have battle hardened incumbents in many.

But overall, losing 3-4 seats would be a decent result. So again, the first number to pay attention to is 50: If Ds flip the chamber Rs have almost no chance to take it back until 2024. After that? See if the GOP gets to 53. If not, they probably lose it in either 2020 or 2022.
   727. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: September 13, 2018 at 04:02 PM (#5743825)
I'm old enough to remember when country music was cool and dangerous. Now it's a bunch of fancy lads mooning about drinking Bud Light in the pickup truck with their middle school sweethearts.

Fortunately, Sturgill Simpson is still a thing.
   728. dlf Posted: September 13, 2018 at 04:05 PM (#5743827)
OTOTP - Baseball

RE5PECT

To bring this back off baseball (how dare you!) ... I do wish SamM was still posting here.

Fortunately, Sturgill Simpson is still a thing.

Chris Stapleton, Colter Wall, Tyler Childers ...
   729. perros Posted: September 13, 2018 at 04:08 PM (#5743830)

Other than Wilmington, most of the people living in NC are well inland.

Not counting Marines? The head of Lejeune was actually criticized for not evacuating the base, which again goes to show the irrationality spurred by a big storm.
   730. Swoboda is freedom Posted: September 13, 2018 at 04:11 PM (#5743832)
OTOTP - Baseball

RE5PECT

One quick note. Someone mentioned last week how the site has issues. Here is a topic that should be discussed on the main board, but nothing posted on the board yet on Wright. On a lot of the topics, not a lot of discussion.
   731. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 13, 2018 at 04:12 PM (#5743833)
Anybody follow Tom Nichols on twitter? He's a great conservative voice imo. He has a book "the Death of Expertise", anybody read it?

When students ask me what makes someone an “irrational” leader, I usually put the inability to process unwanted information high on the list. | What we learn when Trump says crazy stuff https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/opinions/wp/2018/09/13/what-we-learn-when-trump-says-crazy-stuff/ …

One quick note. Someone mentioned last week how the site has issues. Here is a topic that should be discussed on the main board, but nothing posted on the board yet on Wright. On a lot of the topics, not a lot of discussion.

Someone needs to be made a mod, that can post timely stuff like this whenever the owner is pre-occupied. I got some opinions on Wright (mostly respect for fighting through all those injuries) but doesn't feel right to post here.
   732. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: September 13, 2018 at 04:13 PM (#5743835)
Here is a topic that should be discussed on the main board, but nothing posted on the board yet on Wright.

Whenever I try to submit things, they end up hanging in the submit queue for 12-18 hours. So I hardly bother anymore. I'm guessing a lot of others feel the same way.
   733. perros Posted: September 13, 2018 at 04:14 PM (#5743836)
Florence is going to dump more rain, but we've known that for a long time. Property damage along the coast and along the rivers is going to be significant.

Inland flooding is a thing more and more, striking many of the cities and towns in SE NC. Lunbeeton is particularly vulnerable and cmuch of it could once again end up standing in 2-4 feet of water for weeks.
   734. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: September 13, 2018 at 04:18 PM (#5743837)
Anybody follow Tom Nichols on twitter?

I don't have a Twitter account, but I do look in on his feed from time to time.
   735. RoyalFlush Posted: September 13, 2018 at 04:20 PM (#5743840)
Since it is the Marlins, the games won't mean anything. I hope one of the Marlins pitchers have the decency to groove a couple of balls in there.

More likely scenario is Urena makes sure his career is over by putting one in his ear.
   736. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: September 13, 2018 at 04:25 PM (#5743842)
I'm old enough to remember when country music was cool and dangerous.

Just saw a post on FB (might be old news to others) that Ken Burns' next series will be on country, I presume going all the way back to the Carters & Jimmie Rodgers at the very least.
   737. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: September 13, 2018 at 04:28 PM (#5743844)
Someone needs to be made a mod, that can post timely stuff like this whenever the owner is pre-occupied.

Repoz's departure was ... not beneficial.
   738. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 13, 2018 at 04:29 PM (#5743846)
Warren is just lame AF imo:

Elizabeth Warren

Verified account

@elizabethforma
21m21 minutes ago
More
Do you hear that noise, @realDonaldTrump? Tick. Tock. We’re building a grassroots army, and in 54 days, on November 6th, we’ll sweep your Republican enablers out of office.

739. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: September 13, 2018 at 04:30 PM (#5743847)
Continual, blatant lying about matters of public fact and policy should certainly be grounds for impeachment. Except that somehow people have internalized the standard that if you can't be tried for the lying in a court of law, it's unimpeachable. Hence, one lie under oath about one consensual blow job = worst thing ever. Daily lying about every aspect of reality = sorry, we can't provoke a constitutional crisis over something so trivial.

I believe this is the part where the usual suspects starting whining & crying & wringing their hands over the utter horribleness of the very idea of thwarting the will of a slack-jawed, slope-browed minority of the electorate.
   740. RoyalFlush Posted: September 13, 2018 at 04:33 PM (#5743849)
Not to take this too off track, but I did just see the Chris Hillman/Roger McGuinn/Marty Stuart concert commemorating Sweetheart of the Rodeo's 50th anniversary. Was an amazing little walk down memory lane.

Gram Parsons and Townes Van Zandt are my godfathers of country music. What they spawned is what I still listen to today. I'd include the likes of Tyler Childers and Sturgill Simpson in that class.
   741. zenbitz Posted: September 13, 2018 at 04:33 PM (#5743850)
For consensual sex with another adult? Poppycock. We aren't expelling him from a cloister.

100 f u c k i n g percent. If I did what he did today, I'd be fired. If anyone else did this, they SHOULD be fired. You want to screw your boss or or your subordinate? Quit or fire them.
   742. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 13, 2018 at 04:34 PM (#5743851)
MR PRESIDENT SHUT UP! Trouble in paradise after Trump's tweets on Hurricane anger Florida GOP:

MIAMI — Florida Republicans are angered by President Donald Trump advancing a conspiracy theory casting doubt on Hurricane Maria’s estimated death toll in Puerto Rico. Even Trump’s two top Florida allies, Gov. Rick Scott and GOP gubernatorial candidate Ron DeSantis, disagreed with his insensitive comments.

Exploding on Twitter two months before Election Day, Trump’s comments have the potential to intensify Boricua voter registration efforts and perhaps election turnout. And that, Republicans and Democrats say, could prove crucial in Florida’s hotly contested races for U.S. Senate and governor, which are essentially tied races.

"3000 people did not die in the two hurricanes that hit Puerto Rico. When I left the Island, AFTER the storm had hit, they had anywhere from 6 to 18 deaths. As time went by it did not go up by much,” Trump wrote on Twitter, ignoring the fact that the island’s government paid for independent research to determine the death toll, which was impossible to measure after last year’s storm because it crippled every aspect of Puerto Rico’s government.

Trump also blamed Democrats for releasing the casualty numbers to make him look bad.

“I disagree with @POTUS– an independent study said thousands were lost and Gov. Rosselló agreed. I've been to Puerto Rico 7 times & saw devastation firsthand,” Scott, the Republican nominee for Senate, wrote hours later on Twitter. “The loss of any life is tragic; the extent of lives lost as a result of Maria is heart wrenching. I'll continue to help PR.”

Facing Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Fla.), Scott has increasingly put some distance between himself and Trump. But DeSantis, who owes his Aug. 28 gubernatorial primary win to Trump, hadn’t criticized the president publicly. That changed Thursday.

“Ron DeSantis is committed to standing with the Puerto Rican community, especially after such a tragic loss of life. He doesn't believe any loss of life has been inflated,” DeSantis’ campaign said.

Scott, whose Senate bid was encouraged by Trump and who raised money for Trump’s 2016 super PAC, had no comment through his office or Senate campaign. Both Scott and DeSantis have campaigned for Boricua votes in Florida and traveled to the island.

But Alan Levine, a Republican appointed Scott to Florida’s university governing board, couldn’t keep quiet.

“Mr. President. SHUT UP,” Levine replied to Trump on Twitter. “Any death, whether one or 3,000 is a tragedy. That doesn’t mean you caused it, and its not about you. Show compassion for the families,” Levine wrote. “Learn what we can so future response can improve. Honestly....”

I await Clapper's "all is well" response.
   743. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: September 13, 2018 at 04:35 PM (#5743852)
Repoz's departure was ... not beneficial.

Why did he leave, anyway?
   744. zenbitz Posted: September 13, 2018 at 04:41 PM (#5743856)
we have no idea what the accusation is, let alone whether it’s true.

I am weirdly wondering if DiFi did the right thing here and just forwarding the note to the Feds. I mean Deep State.
   745. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: September 13, 2018 at 04:41 PM (#5743857)

"Creative differences".
   746. zenbitz Posted: September 13, 2018 at 04:43 PM (#5743858)
Trump (well the GOP really) has a lot riding on this storm being a dud . If there is any sort of FEMA flustercluck -- or even a high death toll or major damagages -- it could put the Dems in control of the Senate.

CODA: if you take credit for anything and everything remotely positive, don't be surprised when people blame you for any and everything negative.
   747. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 13, 2018 at 04:43 PM (#5743859)
we can't provoke a constitutional crisis over something so trivial.

So, what do people mean when they say "constitutional crisis"?

Impeachment and conviction are outlined in the constitution, so is it "Crisis because we are following the rules outlined in the constitution" or "Crisis because of the Constitution" or "Crisis about something that was mentioned in the constitution" or is it just "Crisis, but Constitutional Crisis sounds WAY better"?
   748. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: September 13, 2018 at 04:45 PM (#5743860)
100 f u c k i n g percent. If I did what he did today, I'd be fired. If anyone else did this, they SHOULD be fired. You want to screw your boss or or your subordinate? Quit or fire them.

Well.... without necessarily taking a side here - it depends how high up in the org you are.

I mean, I am aware of at least two scenarios where a superior and a subordinate had a relationship and nobody lost their job over it... at least, so far as I know (none of the four are with the company anymore, but one pair had their jobs cut - not together, but over a couple years and in the other case, one of the participants passed away; the other left the company).

I'm not taking a position on what's right, fair, or proper... I'm just saying I don't think this is all that true. The higher up you are - and the more valuable you are - the less likely such a thing is to cost you your job. YMMV, of course.
   749. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 13, 2018 at 04:46 PM (#5743862)
I am weirdly wondering if DiFi did the right thing here and just forwarding the note to the Feds. I mean Deep State.

Of course it is the right thing to do. Just like when the Trump campaign was contacted by the Russians they should have forwarded that to the FBI. When something like that happens you can either contact the authorities through the right channels(the right thing to do) or you can try to play politics with it (the GOP thing to do).
   750. perros Posted: September 13, 2018 at 04:47 PM (#5743864)

Gram Parsons and Townes Van Zandt are my godfathers of country music.

Love 'em both, and Van Zandt in particular is brilliant, but both are well off even the outlaw mainstream. The whole damned tradition is fabulous, going back to Rodgers and Wills, Tubb and Williams. And that's not even considering bluegrass. Really enjoyed Steve Martin's Give Me the Banjo.
   751. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 13, 2018 at 04:50 PM (#5743866)

I believe this is the part where the usual suspects starting whining & crying & wringing their hands over the utter horribleness of the very idea of thwarting the will of a slack-jawed, slope-browed minority of the electorate.
I think BM and Andy are more likely to wring their hands over this.
   752. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 13, 2018 at 04:51 PM (#5743867)

Spend more time with his family?
   753. perros Posted: September 13, 2018 at 04:57 PM (#5743869)
Surprised by little comment regarding John Bolton's attack on the ICC.
   754. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 13, 2018 at 04:58 PM (#5743870)
During the Kavanaugh hearings, Hawaii Senator Mazi Hirono pressed the judge on what she calls his "lies regarding indigenous communities." This was widely and correctly interpreted as a direct challenge past Kavanaugh to Alaska's Senator Lisa Murkowski.

That was last week. The Alaska Federation of Natives, Alaska's largest Native group, has just come out against his confirmation. Where this gets tricky is that the AFN gave Murkoswki its hugely important endorsement in her successful uphill write-in campaign. It also started a Super PAC specifically designed to elect Murkowski, and supplied fully half her campaign money down the stretch. It doesn't help that a poll in late August found that 43% of Alaska voters claimed they would view Murkowski more favorably if she voted against Kavanaugh, compared with 27% who said the opposite.

Whether any of this upends Murkowski's vote is doubtful, but she's still mum on her vote and is feeling some heat. Following AFN's statement, she happened to tweet out a video of her remarks at yesterday's Tribal Impact Unity Days meeting.
   755. Rally Posted: September 13, 2018 at 05:01 PM (#5743872)
What if Clinton was not just impeached, but convicted and removed in 1998?

Might have actually been the best thing for dems. President Gore runs as an incumbent in 2000. Does that give him enough of a boost so that Florida is not close enough to be decided by how to count a few hanging chads?
   756. McCoy Posted: September 13, 2018 at 05:08 PM (#5743876)
I don't think I've ever seen a boss get fired for sleeping with the staff and there has been a lot of sleeping around. Hell, quite a few second wives I know started out as secretaries of the boss.
   757. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: September 13, 2018 at 05:08 PM (#5743877)
Inland flooding is a thing more and more, striking many of the cities and towns in SE NC. Lunbeeton is particularly vulnerable and cmuch of it could once again end up standing in 2-4 feet of water for weeks.

The thing is, even inland, water has to have somewhere to drain off to. If, or when, on top of rising seas in general, the coasts are inundated with a sustained storm surge while the storm dumps 40 inches on the inland piedmont/hills, well... ####'s got no where to drain to, because the drainage systems and rivers are already plugged from the storm surge downstream. Ecological systems are dependent like that.
   758. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: September 13, 2018 at 05:09 PM (#5743879)

At the end, Jim and Dan got along with 'poz about as well as they got along with me.
   759. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: September 13, 2018 at 05:19 PM (#5743883)
David Frum, writing in The Atlantic's series Is Democracy Dying?

Many Americans want to believe that Democratic victories in November will reverse the country’s course. They should be wary of investing too much hope in that prospect. Should Democrats recover some measure of power in Congress, their gains could perversely accelerate current trends. As Republicans lose power in Washington, Trump will gain power within his party.

Today, Republicans queasy about Trump can look to House Speaker Paul Ryan or Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell as alternative sources of power or patronage in Washington. But if the party loses hold of Congress, congressional Republicans’ clout will dwindle. Power will be divided in Washington between Trump and the Democrats. If legislative success becomes a vanishing possibility, the White House may begin testing the limits of its authority more aggressively.

Trump will face more hearings, more investigations, and generally more trouble than he faces today. Partisan loyalties will be engaged as Republicans rally around their embattled leader. The conservative pundit M. Stanton Evans quipped, “I didn’t like Nixon until Watergate.” A joke then describes reality today. Among Trump supporters, “No collusion!” has already evolved into “Collusion is not a crime,” with “Collusion is patriotic” perhaps soon to follow. Trump supporters have no exit ramp. Party affiliation has hardened since the 1970s into a central aspect—in many ways the central aspect—of personal identity. If Trump is exposed and repudiated, his supporters will be discredited alongside him. If he is to survive, they must protect him.

In an ultrapolarized post-November environment, the Republican Party may radicalize further as it shrivels, ceasing to compete for votes and looking to survive instead by further changing the voting system. Donald Trump is president for many reasons, but one is the astonishing drop in African American voter participation from 2012 to 2016. It’s not surprising that Hillary Clinton inspired lower black voter turnout than Barack Obama did in 2012. It is surprising that she inspired lower black turnout than John Kerry did in 2004. But in the intervening years, the rules were changed in ways that made voting much harder for non-Republican constituencies, particularly black people—and the rules continue to be changed in that direction.

America's Slide Towards Autocracy
   760. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 13, 2018 at 05:24 PM (#5743887)
Is it irresponsible to speculate? It would be irresponsible not to.

The 100th repeating of this formulation doesn't make it any less McCarthyesque. No evidence? No problem, we can "speculate". Rather sad that some think that's a good look.
   761. McCoy Posted: September 13, 2018 at 05:27 PM (#5743888)
I always figured Repoz was a poster by another name. Never could figure why he would post so many threads each day and never take part in the discussions.
   762. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: September 13, 2018 at 05:31 PM (#5743889)
I’m not speculating or asking questions at all. I’m just saying it: that Kavanaugh guy is in deeeeep with some very bad dudes.
   763. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 13, 2018 at 05:37 PM (#5743890)
You can’t assume anything from the Kavanaugh letter unless actual details come out and/or the woman goes public - we have no idea what the accusation is, let alone whether it’s true.

Yes, that's obviously correct, but you will notice how quickly some will abandon even the most basic principles in order to smear people for political advantage. Very unlikely to work. If there had been something useful, the Democrats would have brought it up at the hearing.
   764. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: September 13, 2018 at 05:40 PM (#5743892)

a/k/a "the usual suspects" in this instance.
   765. PepTech Posted: September 13, 2018 at 05:41 PM (#5743893)
Yes, that's obviously correct, but you will notice how quickly some will abandon even the most basic principles in order to smear people for political advantage.
Yes, some of us have noticed.
3000 people did not die in the two hurricanes that hit Puerto Rico...This was done by the Democrats in order to make me look as bad as possible
Have you?
   766. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 13, 2018 at 05:42 PM (#5743894)
Clapper, #763:
If there had been something useful, the Democrats would have brought it up at the hearing.

Irresponsible speculation.
   767. JL72 Posted: September 13, 2018 at 05:43 PM (#5743895)
Anybody follow Tom Nichols on twitter? He's a great conservative voice imo. He has a book "the Death of Expertise", anybody read it?

I follow him. Very levelheaded and consistent. I have not read his book, but it is on my list.
   768. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: September 13, 2018 at 05:47 PM (#5743897)
The Dems are rules nerds who still believe it’s important to follow all the instructions. You know when someone passed DiFi a note in 9th grade that she just brought it straight to the teacher without reading it. Of course she’d do the same thing when she got wind of Kavanaugh’s rapeyness.
   769. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 13, 2018 at 05:49 PM (#5743898)

I sure am wacky caring about votes and stuff. GOP President Trump was a sleazy, lying, ignorant fool when the voters elected him, and it wasn't a secret. In fact anyone and everyone had more than enough information to determine that fact. They wanted that particular sleazy, lying, and ignorant fool. I sure didn't, but still the sleazy, lying, ignorant fool is the one that got elected.

I don't have a problem impeaching Trump based on new information, but impeaching for the very qualities that seemingly got him elected does seem to be a mite undemocratic to me. Obviously YMMV, and hey if enough Congress-critters all decide to impeach and convict then it won't break my heart, but of course that is not going to happen absent some pretty significant new information.

But hey, if a bunch of folks want to pretend that impeachment is RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER, well have a good time.
   770. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: September 13, 2018 at 05:50 PM (#5743899)

Everybody expects John Bolton to do things that are unnecessarily belligerent and corrosive to international comity, so does it really even count as news?
   771. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 13, 2018 at 05:52 PM (#5743900)
ABC is reporting that Manafort has agreed to a plea deal. No speculation on if it's including cooperation on Trump matters or not.
   772. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 13, 2018 at 05:52 PM (#5743901)
The Dems are rules nerds who still believe it’s important to follow all the instructions.

Yeah the nation functions so much better when a bunch of the elected politicians act like they are part of a corrupt criminal enterprise - or as I like to call it the GOP.
   773. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 13, 2018 at 05:52 PM (#5743902)
The Trump White House, yesterday:
"More text messages between former FBI employees Peter Strzok and Lisa Page are a disaster and embarrassment to the FBI & DOJ. ...... Every day we get more documentation showing collusion between the FBI & DOJ, the Hillary campaign, foreign spies & Russians, incredible. It is a cesspool of corruption, and the people who did this need to be brought to justice."
The Trump White House, today:
"Throughout 25 years of public service, the Federal Bureau of Investigation has thoroughly and repeatedly vetted Judge Kavanaugh."
   774. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: September 13, 2018 at 06:09 PM (#5743907)
   775. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 13, 2018 at 06:14 PM (#5743909)

I'm not even sure what we're supposed to be wringing out hands about. Someone clue me in so I'll know whether to start wringing.
   776. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 13, 2018 at 06:20 PM (#5743911)

Well I guess we’ll just have to agree that when it comes to consenting sex between adults you’re much more priggish than I am.
   777. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: September 13, 2018 at 06:21 PM (#5743912)
Michael Bloomberg Plans to Run for President in 2020 As a Democrat

Ooooooooh, just what everyone was clamoring for!
   778. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: September 13, 2018 at 06:27 PM (#5743914)
Now is not the time for purity tests. Bloomberg isn’t perfect but he’s our best chance to defeat Drumpf.
   779. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 13, 2018 at 06:30 PM (#5743915)
But in the intervening years, the rules were changed in ways that made voting much harder for non-Republican constituencies, particularly black people—and the rules continue to be changed in that direction.
This is just not remotely true.
   780. Howie Menckel Posted: September 13, 2018 at 06:34 PM (#5743916)
Well I guess we’ll just have to agree that when it comes to consenting sex between adults you’re much more priggish than I am.

I would think it wouldn't have to do with the sex, but with the favoritism.

'if you put out, you get ahead - otherwise, no' is reminiscent of the unfair dilemma faced by those baseball players who didn't want to use PEDs. people should not be forced into such unpalatable choices.
   781. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: September 13, 2018 at 06:36 PM (#5743917)
776- “Consenting” sex, yep, uh huh, 21-year-old women don’t feel at all coerced into sex when their married 50-year-old boss who’s also the ####### President asks for a blowjob.
   782. perros Posted: September 13, 2018 at 06:38 PM (#5743918)
No more decrepit, reptilian billionaires, please.
   783. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: September 13, 2018 at 06:39 PM (#5743920)
782–But Bloomberg will appeal to all the moderate Republicans who are put off by Trump’s rudeness.
   784. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 13, 2018 at 06:43 PM (#5743922)
Lou Dobbs

Verified account

@LouDobbs
23h23 hours ago
More
#LDTPoll: Do you think the Washington Post's claim that President Trump is complicit with hurricane Florence is a new record for Left-Wing hysteria and further proof that "climate change" has far more to do with the Left's mind set than science?

785. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 13, 2018 at 06:46 PM (#5743923)
776- “Consenting” sex, yep, uh huh, 21-year-old women don’t feel at all coerced into sex when their married 50-year-old boss who’s also the ####### President asks for a blowjob
Except the evidence is that she pursued him, not vice versa.
   786. Srul Itza Posted: September 13, 2018 at 06:59 PM (#5743931)
If I did what he did today, I'd be fired.

Indicating that zenbitz is simply not that valuable to his company. No surprise there.

I am, however, surprised that he can get any work done, since the poor boy appears unusually susceptible to a case of the vapors.
   787. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 13, 2018 at 07:01 PM (#5743934)

I would think it wouldn't have to do with the sex, but with the favoritism

So you’re against favoritism in the workplace?
   788. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 13, 2018 at 07:03 PM (#5743936)
Re: the impeachable offense issue:

@GeneHealy
“We’ve somehow managed to convince ourselves that the one job in America where you have to commit a felony to get fired is the one where you actually get nuclear weapons.”
   789. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: September 13, 2018 at 07:05 PM (#5743941)
565. Ishmael Posted: September 13, 2018 at 10:04 AM (#5743452)
I know MacArthur’s Anti “Social Justice” proclamation (post 391) is gonna come up at my Bible study group next week, and I suspect it’s gonna make me long for the civility and decorum of OTP.

What denomination?

Southern Baptist
   790. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 13, 2018 at 07:17 PM (#5743948)
Hey that reminds me, I’m going to see Emo Phillips this weekend.
   791. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: September 13, 2018 at 07:18 PM (#5743951)
776- “Consenting” sex, yep, uh huh, 21-year-old women don’t feel at all coerced into sex when their married 50-year-old boss who’s also the ####### President asks for a blowjob

As David said, there is zero evidence that Clinton raped Lewinsky. There is plenty of evidence that she pursued him. Some chicks are attracted to older men. Especially older men who are notoriously charismatic and incredibly powerful. Your baseless assumption that if a younger woman ##### an older guy, he must be raping her against her will, is extremely sexist.
   792. BDC Posted: September 13, 2018 at 07:26 PM (#5743959)
Hmmn, I know quite a few Southern Baptists (specifically Baptist General Convention of Texas members) who are liberal by any standards. But none quite so left-wing as Davo has become recently. That must be one interesting Bible Study.
   793. perros Posted: September 13, 2018 at 07:27 PM (#5743960)
In many ways, it was a conquest for Lewinsky. It's really the aftermath where she paid the much steeper price. Pretty tough chick, regardless. Resisted her initial interrogation, even slipping away to try to warn Clinton.
   794. Traderdave Posted: September 13, 2018 at 07:30 PM (#5743965)
I was en enthusiastic Bloomberg supporter in prior races, but now? He'll turn 79 a few weeks after he's inaugurated. It's extremely foolish to elect a person who stands a reasonable chance of death or disability in their first term.

I'd probably still vote for him, but damn I don't love that idea. I know it will never happen but a max age of 70 to run strikes me as a very good idea. Hell the Vatican has age limit of 85 for Cardinals to vote for Pope. If a sclerotic & ossified fossil like The Papacy understands age dynamics, perhaps we should too.

(And yes pedants, I know the difference between a President taking office and a Cardinal voting. Point being advanced age should matter in politics)
   795. Cleveland (need new name) fan Posted: September 13, 2018 at 07:34 PM (#5743971)
'if you put out, you get ahead - otherwise, no' is reminiscent of the unfair dilemma faced by those baseball players who didn't want to use PEDs. people should not be forced into such unpalatable choices.

Like Bonds? (Ducks)
   796. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 13, 2018 at 07:46 PM (#5743987)
Bob Woodward's description of Trump matches everyone else's:
“Get rid of the (expletive) braille. No blind people are going to live in Trump Tower. Just do it,” Trump yelled back, calling him weak.

The more the architect protested, the angrier Trump got. Donald liked to pick on this guy. As a general rule, Trump thought architects and engineers were weak as compared to construction people. And he loved to torment weak people.

But did he think the architect would remove the Braille from the panels? Never.

I had seen him do this kind of thing before and would again. He would say whatever came into his head. Ordering an underling to do something that was impossible gave Trump the opportunity to castigate a subordinate and also blame him for anything that “went wrong” in connection with the unperformed order later. A Trump-style win-win.
   797. Greg K Posted: September 13, 2018 at 07:50 PM (#5743993)

Hey, I tried!

I think it's a sad statement of where the ICC stands. It's not that big of a deal because everyone assumes the ICC is already irrelevant.
   798. Greg K Posted: September 13, 2018 at 07:50 PM (#5743995)
In many ways, it was a conquest for Lewinsky. It's really the aftermath where she paid the much steeper price. Pretty tough chick, regardless. Resisted her initial interrogation, even slipping away to try to warn Clinton.

Have you got to this week's episode of Slow Burn? It's essentially an extended interview with Linda Tripp.
   799. perros Posted: September 13, 2018 at 07:52 PM (#5743999)
Ordering an underling to do something that was impossible

Also reinforces the power of the leader, as in a cult. Thing is, it works.
   800. perros Posted: September 13, 2018 at 07:53 PM (#5744000)
Tripp flipp
Page 8 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt!
for his generous support.