Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, September 17, 2018

OTP 2018 September 17: How Brett Kavanaugh explains his baseball ticket debt

Kavanaugh described the baseball tickets as part of a group purchase divided amongst friends and avid Washington Nationals fans. Kavanaugh estimated he has attended “a couple hundred games” over the period of 2005 through 2017, when he purchased four season tickets, and also playoff ticket packages for the four years the Nationals reached the National League playoffs.

“I have attended all 11 Nationals home playoff games in their history,” Kavanaugh noted in his answers. “(We are 3-8 in those games.)”
His rationale for the tickets: “I am a huge sports fan.”

Beyond his baseball fandom, Kavanaugh noted in response to questions that has “not had gambling debts or participated in ‘fantasy’ leagues.”

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 17, 2018 at 09:05 AM | 2479 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: nationals, off topic, politics, washington

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 15 of 25 pages ‹ First  < 13 14 15 16 17 >  Last ›
   1401. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:00 PM (#5748219)
Every time Clapper makes a political prediction, an 11-term incumbent angel loses his primary.
   1402. Harlond Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:02 PM (#5748221)
One part where I do agree with Prager is that the rise of secularism has probably played a role in how terrible we’ve become at forgiveness.
Meanwhile, evangelicals like Franklin Graham, Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell Jr.--some of the most prominent religious leaders in the country--are just terrible about forgivenness, especially if it conflicts with the politico-religious goals. So I'm not buying it.
   1403. Lassus Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:02 PM (#5748223)
Who exactly is fantasizing this?

The ones looking for David Hogg's SAG/AFTRA card that Soros signed off on.
   1404. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:03 PM (#5748225)
Cokie Roberts gave the commencement address when I graduated from college. It contained nothing of value or interest

Has anybody ever heard a commencement address that did?
For my high school graduation, which was held on a 90-something degree day in June in a basketball arena without air conditioning, we had the local congressman speak. He had just announced his retirement and was feeling frisky, and so spent his entire speech talking about how North Carolina was second-to-last in a lot of education rankings -- thank God for Mississippi! He said that because of the willful ignorance of the state legislators we had all just received a terrible education and were therefore doomed to never live up to our potential. The overall effect was grimly comic.

EDIT: He wasn't necessarily wrong, btw.
   1405. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:05 PM (#5748227)

Cokie Roberts gave the commencement address when I graduated from college. It contained nothing of value or interest

The "Trust me on the sunscreen" speech was pretty much on point.
   1406. dlf Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:09 PM (#5748232)
Not what was predicted here Election Night 2016.

Well I don't think I was on-line that night, but it wasn't long after that I did indeed make a very similar prediction. (Although it was certainly not based on the DJIA, a really stupid index to follow and is cited by investors pretty much never.)

But for those not looking to make political hay ... the S&P is up ~10.2% so far this year and was up 21.8% last year (including dividends). (Edit: I'm overweight on AAPL (and overweight on donuts) so the dlf index is just under 14% YTD.) No idea how to make a chart on here but:

2018 10.2%**** (obviously doesn't include or project Q4)
2017 21.8%
2016 12%
2015 1.4%
2014 13.7%
2013 32.4%
2012 16%
2011 2.1%
2010 15.1%
2009 26.5%
2008 (37%)
2007 5.5%
2006 15.8%
2005 4.9%
2004 10.9%
2003 28.7%
2002 (22.1%)
2001 (11.9%)
2000 (9.1%)
1999 21%
1998 28.6%
1997 33.4%
1996 23%
1995 37.6%
1994 1.3%
1993 10.1%
1992 7.6%
1991 30.4%
1990 (3.1%)

Hey Traderdave - have you decided what kind of bourbon I'll be getting?
   1407. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:09 PM (#5748233)
It was also a newspaper column pretending to be a commencement address.
   1408. DJS Holiday-Related Pun Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:12 PM (#5748236)
Did "the Senate" actually choose not to consider it? Or was it strictly McConnell refusing to schedule it?

The Senate Majority Leader is primarily in charge of the scheduling and can choose to move that the Senate proceed on specific legislative or executive business.

All the various rules, you'll have to consult a parlimentarian.

Note that I'm not saying that the Garland rejection was honorable, in a general sense. Politics is only beanbag when the people electing the politicians want their representatives to seek consensus and be fair-minded. These aren't the times. The Democrats *wanted* their representatives to block Bush appointees and Republicans *wanted* their representatives to block Obama apointees and Democrats *wanted* their representatives to eliminate the filibuster for almost all judgeships and Republicans *wanted* their representatives to get a conservative on the Supreme Court and now Democrats *want* to stop Kavanaugh any way they can and stop future Trump nominees for years if necessary. And if the mood doesn't change, some people will want their representatives to add justices to the Supreme Court if the politics of the moment allows them to.

None of this may be fair or honorable or just in a philosophical sense, but it's all perfect legit from a constitutional standpoint, the U.S. Constitution leaving a lot of these things to be sorted out by the politics. But it reflects the current mood of the people, who hate their ideological enemies and wish to punish them any way they can.

1409. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:16 PM (#5748240)

It was also a newspaper column pretending to be a commencement address.

Well...ummm...good heavens, of course I knew that...
   1410. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:21 PM (#5748243)
If you had asked me on election night, I would have said unequivocally yes, the market would hit a record high under Trump, as it did under every President since Truman, with the exception of Ford.

Is Misirlou being truthful here? Let's look at what Misirlou actually posted on Election Night 2016:
1398. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 08, 2016 at 10:36 PM (#5349186)
Honest question: Is a Trump presidency the beginning of the end of the US as the world's greatest superpower? The US does have "checks and balances" and a president's power is not unlimited but it is substantial.

I predict the DOW down 3,000 tomorrow.

And there's this one:
1529. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 08, 2016 at 11:30 PM (#5349320)
Well, looking forward to a Trump presidency, with a Republican Congress and a conservative court, what can we expect?

Dow 5,000 in 2 years.

Misirlou makes stuff up.
   1411. Traderdave Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:22 PM (#5748246)
Hey Traderdave - have you decided what kind of bourbon I'll be getting?

Terms were "a fifth of decent bourbon." I will let you choose the brand but $50 plus or minus seems like a reasonable price range. (If you're in a state where I can't mail it, will PayPal settlement work for you?)
   1412. dlf Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:27 PM (#5748248)
I'm in Georgia. I don't know the legalities of it, but I had a *very* happy client once send my a bottle of Louis XIII via FedEx. Shame I can't tell a high end cognac from your basic Remy. Well, I could tell it from Jerry Remy, but ...

We'll work out the details in November.
   1413. zenbitz Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:28 PM (#5748249)

I think I have regaled you all with the fiasco that was the 1992 UCLA Physical Sciences Commencement address. Given by none other than Stephen Jay Gould. Who took us on a rambling tale of paradox before he lost the crowd (this was at the tennis stadium, mind you) SO BADLY (we ... graduates and families alike were quite disruptive) that he up and quit in the middle. I did have to respect that he read the writing on the wall rathar than continue to bug the crap out of us.

I guess that's what you get for not making yet another meaningless worthless "take on the world you are the future" speech. And this was 23 years after TEH DECLINES!
   1414. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:29 PM (#5748251)
I think I have regaled you all with the fiasco that was the 1992 UCLA Physical Sciences Commencement address. Given by none other than Stephen Jay Gould. Who took us on a rambling tale of paradox before he lost the crowd (this was at the tennis stadium, mind you) SO BADLY (we ... graduates and families alike were quite disruptive) that he up and quit in the middle. I did have to respect that he read the writing on the wall rathar than continue to bug the crap out of us.

That's hilarious, take this commencement address and SHOVE IT! Honestly should I ever be asked and find myself in similar circumstances I'd probably do the same.
   1415. Srul Itza Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:30 PM (#5748253)
The Senate Majority Leader is primarily in charge of the scheduling and can choose to move that the Senate proceed on specific legislative or executive business.

All the various rules, you'll have to consult a parlimentarian.

In other words, the Senate, per se, did not necessarily reject Garland; McConnell rejected him. Whether the Senate as a whole could have done something about it, you don't know.

This is not to say that it was unconstitutional, or illegal in any sense.

But it is to say that, to keep asserting that "the Senate" rejected Garland is overstating the case.
   1416. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:32 PM (#5748254)

I skipped out on graduation for both undergrad and grad school so I don't even know who spoke or if anyone flashed the provost.
   1417. zenbitz Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:33 PM (#5748255)
The only downside was that the Chancellor of the University (Chuck Young) took the rest of his time to berate us for... I don't remember what? Lack of respect? Short attention span? Being on his lawn?
   1418. Ray (CTL) Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:33 PM (#5748256)
In economic news - Jobless Claims Fall To 49-Year Low For Third Straight Week:

I've been seeing some of these headlines appended by some version of "But are they quality jobs?"

Gotta love the unbiased MSM. They simply cannot bring themselves to just call balls and strikes under Trump.
   1419. dlf Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:35 PM (#5748257)
Not sure if this belongs here or in the OT - Culture thread, but ... I often listen to NPR's tiny desk concerts while I'm working. Just now one from 2016 by Margo Price finished up with her opening her blouse to show an Icky Trump shirt underneath.
   1420. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:36 PM (#5748259)
In other words, the Senate, per se, did not necessarily reject Garland; McConnell rejected him.

You would think so, until you see this actual footage of McConnell.
   1421. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:36 PM (#5748260)
Not what was predicted here Election Night 2016.
Speaking of which, here’s Paul Krugman’s expert take on the Ford situation:

Whatever eventually happens, Kavanaugh was clearly a smarmy, smirking, entitled and mercenary guy; the odds that he had some kind of skeleton in his closet were pretty good 2/
Not clear whether he learned that in micro or macro, but it’s easy to see why this guy won a Nobel Prize.
   1422. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:39 PM (#5748261)
The NYTs needs term limits on their op ed board.
   1423. strong silence Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:39 PM (#5748262)
David's time is "too valuable" for reading this book. But for those who find different viewpoints of worth I recommend this book.

https://www.ucpress.edu/book/9780520299948/how-all-politics-became-reproductive-politics
   1424. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:42 PM (#5748263)
Princeton doesn’t have commencement speakers; we have a baccalaureate speaker a few days before graduation. Ours was Gary Trudeau. I don’t remember one word of it. And I have no recollection of any sort who spoke at my law school graduation.
   1425. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:45 PM (#5748266)
Jolly Andy, #1390:

I have no idea who gave our commencement address

We all assume it was Thomas Paine.

Hell, given that I was Duke '67, it was probably Richard Nixon, J.D. '37.
   1426. DavidFoss Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:47 PM (#5748268)
I've been seeing some of these headlines appended by some version of "But are they quality jobs?"

I think you're talking about the monthly job report. Thursdays at 8:30 ET is the weekly report on applications for unemployment benefits. There's no 'job' (good or bad) associated with that number.
   1427. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:48 PM (#5748269)
But for those who find different viewpoints of worth I recommend this book.
Notwithstanding the snideness, I find different viewpoints of worth all the time. That doesn’t mean I find all viewpoints of worth.
   1428. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:49 PM (#5748270)
The NYTs needs term limits on their op ed board.

Maybe starting with Maureen Dowd, who's still as Hillary obsessed as Ray or JE.
   1429. dlf Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:50 PM (#5748271)
1424 - A Yalie spoke at Princeton? The shame!
   1430. Ray (CTL) Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:50 PM (#5748272)
Whatever eventually happens, Kavanaugh was clearly a smarmy, smirking, entitled and mercenary guy; the odds that he had some kind of skeleton in his closet were pretty good 2/

That's code for "white." All progressives see is identity boxes.

Sometimes they even say so explicitly, such as the concern that Ford would be questioned by "old white men." The identity box alone determines the content of your character.

1431. Ray (CTL) Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:52 PM (#5748273)
Maybe starting with Maureen Dowd, who's still as Hillary obsessed as Ray or JE.

Could someone really be as Hillary obsessed as I am?
   1432. BDC Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:53 PM (#5748274)
Princeton doesn’t have commencement speakers; we have a baccalaureate speaker

IOW if I'd gone to my doctoral commencement, I wouldn't even have gotten to hear a speaker. No, wait, that would have been the upside :)

My undergraduate commencement speaker, at Michigan State at the Peak, was {looks it up} … a former president of Michigan State. Another one I am glad I skipped.

But I have made up for my personal indifference in a big way as a faculty member over the years, as I said. The most famous speaker I heard here in Texas was Jim Wright, though I remember nothing of his talk. For a long time the faculty gave the talks, taking turns doing it, but they never asked me. I have also never gotten to carry the Commencement Mace, not that I am bitter about that.
   1433. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:56 PM (#5748275)

No. If anything, it is code for "preppy." The vast majority of whites would not qualify.

Sometimes they even say so explicitly, such as the concern that Ford would be questioned by "old white men." The identity box alone determines the content of your character.

The old white men in the Senate, and in the GOP at large, have done plenty to deserve their reputation, when it comes to attacking victims of sexual assault and rape.
   1434. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:56 PM (#5748276)
I have also never gotten to carry the Commencement Mace

Just awful... even college commencements are getting rapey.
   1435. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 20, 2018 at 04:08 PM (#5748281)
Even by his standards Ray has upped his troll game the last few days. Not even waiting until night anymore. Must be a slow week at the office.

ABC News

Verified account

@ABC
14m14 minutes ago
More
EXCLUSIVE: Former Trump personal attorney Michael Cohen has participated in multiple interview sessions lasting for hours with investigators from special counsel Robert Mueller’s team, sources tell @ABC. http://abcn.ws/2NswxAn
   1436. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 20, 2018 at 04:09 PM (#5748283)
Could someone really be as Hillary obsessed as I am?

Browse some of The Nation's comment sections, my boy, and you'll more than meet your match. At least I know you're not a Russian bot, but with some of those folks it's even money at best.
   1437. Lassus Posted: September 20, 2018 at 04:09 PM (#5748284)

Ray's Progressive Ubiquity isn't really as catchy.

The old white men in the Senate, and in the GOP at large, have done plenty to deserve their reputation, when it comes to attacking victims of sexual assault and rape.

I've heard on this board that fraternities don't deserve their silly apocryphal stereotype reputations. Those dead pledges would've died from something else eventually anyhow.
   1438. Ray (CTL) Posted: September 20, 2018 at 04:11 PM (#5748285)
NY Post 4pm update:

The woman who accused Brett Kavanaugh of sexual assault told the Senate Judiciary Committee that she “would be prepared to testify next week,” if senators offer “terms that are fair and which ensure her safety,” her lawyer told committee staffers in an email.

In the email, a lawyer for Christine Blasey Ford said that testifying Monday — the timetable Republicans have set for a hearing — “is not possible and the Committee’s insistence that it occur then is arbitrary in any event,” according to The New York Times, which obtained a copy of the email.

The lawyer, Debra Katz, said it was Ford’s “strong preference” that “a full investigation” occur before her testimony, but did not repeated earlier demands for an FBI probe, which GOP senators and President Trump opposed.

“As you are aware, she has been receiving death threats, which have been reported to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and she and her family have been forced out of their home,” Katz wrote in the email.

“She wishes to testify, provided that we can agree on terms that are fair and which ensure her safety.”

Meanwhile, CNN reported that committee Chairman Chuck Grassley’s deadline of 10 a.m. Friday for Ford to respond to his invitation to testify Monday was flexible.
   1439. Ray (CTL) Posted: September 20, 2018 at 04:12 PM (#5748286)
I've heard on this board that frat boys don't deserve their silly apocryphal stereotype reputations.

Are stereotypes bad, or are they not?
   1440. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 20, 2018 at 04:13 PM (#5748288)
The woman who accused Brett Kavanaugh of sexual assault told the Senate Judiciary Committee that she “would be prepared to testify next week,” if senators offer “terms that are fair and which ensure her safety,” her lawyer told committee staffers in an email.

In the email, a lawyer for Christine Blasey Ford said that testifying Monday — the timetable Republicans have set for a hearing — “is not possible and the Committee’s insistence that it occur then is arbitrary in any event,” according to The New York Times, which obtained a copy of the email.

The lawyer, Debra Katz, said it was Ford’s “strong preference” that “a full investigation” occur before her testimony, but did not repeated earlier demands for an FBI probe, which GOP senators and President Trump opposed.

“As you are aware, she has been receiving death threats, which have been reported to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and she and her family have been forced out of their home,” Katz wrote in the email.

“She wishes to testify, provided that we can agree on terms that are fair and which ensure her safety.”

Meanwhile, CNN reported that committee Chairman Chuck Grassley’s deadline of 10 a.m. Friday for Ford to respond to his invitation to testify Monday was flexible.

Don't anybody tell Clapper.
   1441. Lassus Posted: September 20, 2018 at 04:17 PM (#5748290)

Fair question. I'll rephrase:
I've heard on this board that fraternities don't deserve their silly apocryphal reputations. Those dead pledges would've died from something else eventually anyhow.
   1442. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 20, 2018 at 04:18 PM (#5748291)

Stereotypes can reflect reality to this point: It's probably safe to say that most prep school grads feel more entitled to the good things in life than the average public school grad.

Where it gets pernicious is when people start applying those stereotypes to specific individuals without any further knowledge of them.

Kavanaugh is clearly in the unknown category at this point, but the behavior described by Miz Ford, if true, would certainly fit the stereotype.

If true.
   1443. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 20, 2018 at 04:20 PM (#5748293)
Bitter Mouse is being more dishonest than usual. If you read the thread, you will note that my comments are in rebuttal to Gonfalon repeatedly suggesting that Ms. Ford can refuse to testify to the Senate Judiciary Committee yet cause the GOP problems with campaign or media appearances.

One of us is being dishonest. I called out you by name (since you were the latest one to do it) and explicitly mentioned any liberals thinking Ford would influence things either way were also wrong as it will have very little impact on the size of the upcoming blue wave.

I know you feel the need to be constantly horribly victimized by evil Democrats, but seriously do you even bother to read stuff before starting into your act?
   1444. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 20, 2018 at 04:22 PM (#5748294)
But whether Ford's version of events is true or not....

Millions of women understand Christine Blasey Ford’s decades of silence
The confessions keep coming.

My friend shared her #MeToo ordeal this week, inspired by Christine Blasey Ford’s allegation that she was sexually assaulted by Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh when they were in high school.

“I was a preteen when I was first assaulted. Sometimes, it takes decades for victims to come forward,” she wrote on Facebook, in response to a friend who blasted Ford for waiting over 35 years to accuse Kavanaugh of attacking her.

My friend waited 40 years to speak up. She broke her silence because she’d had enough of all the doubt being hurled at Ford, the psychology professor now enduring death threats for telling her story.

My friend — a fierce reporter — understands Ford’s decades of silence.

She was determined to keep quiet even when her assailant died — and even as she was tasked with writing his obituary for the local paper, taking deep breaths and tapping his accomplishments out on the keyboard while burying his secrets with him.

Does that surprise you? It shouldn’t. He was a family friend. Everyone respected him. She didn’t want to destroy his life.

And she knew she’d be blamed, as women often are when they are assaulted. Why would he do that? Why were you there in the first place? Did you lead him on? Why is that skirt so short? Button up that blouse. What in God’s name is on your face? Wipe that lipstick off right now.

What did my friend’s mom say when she finally told her?

“Me too.”

Her mother said she was 17, trapped in a D.C. hotel room with a door-to-door salesman her family trusted.

We’re good at secrets. And confessions. Sometimes it just takes a cup of coffee or a bottle of wine for them to begin. This week, they’ve been triggered by a Supreme Court nomination: ...

Fortunately for Clapper, none of these women are likely to vote.
   1445. Ray (CTL) Posted: September 20, 2018 at 04:23 PM (#5748296)

Tell him what? She still hasn't agreed to testify. See the qualifications there?
   1446. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 20, 2018 at 04:26 PM (#5748298)
As usual, the answer is "some of them, sometimes". Or maybe "most, most times".
   1447. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 20, 2018 at 04:26 PM (#5748299)
I have no clue who my undergrad commencement speaker was and don't remember a word of it; earlier that morning while packing I pulled a dresser drawer out and it sashed my big toe (I later lost the nail and the bed was damaged enough it later needed minor surgery).

I skipped out on my Masters commencement (which I found out later my mom was annoyed about). Oh well.
   1448. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: September 20, 2018 at 04:27 PM (#5748300)

Not that you are asking in good faith, and deserve a serious answer. But the answer is of course it depends. Some stereotypes can be useful.* Generally speaking, the more the group being stereotyped is based on voluntary association or inclusion, the less problematic stereotyping becomes. (And of course the stronger the stereotypical trait displayed by the group is, the more reasonable it becomes).

For example, if you are calling a person a violent, angry menace, because he is black... not good. If you are doing so because he is a member of a gang that regularly engages in violent behavior? Probably fair.

Or if you are calling a working-class white male a racist? Not good stereotyping. If you are doing so because he is a member of the Klan, or goes on neo-Nazi rallies? Sure enough seems reasonable.

*Like for example stereotypes about lawyers!
   1449. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 20, 2018 at 04:28 PM (#5748302)

As usual, the answer is "some of them, sometimes". Or maybe "most, most times".

Yeah, they are neither good nor bad in and of themselves. They reflect how the human mind works and our amazing ability to generalize (and often over generalize).
   1450. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 20, 2018 at 04:31 PM (#5748305)
Fortunately for Clapper, none of these women are likely to vote.

I think the vast majority will vote (or not) no matter what Ford does or says. Those of us who pay attention to politics way overvalue the impact of stories like this.

But that's OK, the blue wave is heading towards shore anyway, now we are just waiting to find out how big it is.
   1451. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 20, 2018 at 04:33 PM (#5748307)
NY Post, quoted in #1438:

The resistable force meets the movable object.
   1452. TDF, trained monkey Posted: September 20, 2018 at 04:42 PM (#5748311)
Which leaves only 223 days before he catches up with Garland's expiration date.

While the form of advise-and-consent the Senate chose to execute their constitutional duty, having explicit Constitutional authority over setting rules for the proceedings, was no doubt a cynical political calculation, the Senate clearly rejected Garland's nomination fairly quickly, long before 293 or 200 or 100 days.
Yeah, but:

Under normal circumstances, Obama would've been able to move on from Garland and nominate someone else - but the Senate (McConnell) made clear that no one that Obama nominated would even get a hearing. So they didn't "reject Garland's nomination fairly quickly", they held it hostage for 300 days.
   1453. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 20, 2018 at 04:47 PM (#5748315)

Tell him what? She still hasn't agreed to testify. See the qualifications there?

Don't look now, but ever since that first letter from Ford's lawyer, Clapper's been acting as if Ford's simply afraid to testify.** I said right away that that letter was just the first part of a bargaining strategy, and from Grassley's response it looks as if that strategy is working.

** Whereas the only person who's obviously reluctant to testify is Joe Judge's grandson, the chronicler of entitled preppiedom.
   1454. JL72 Posted: September 20, 2018 at 04:49 PM (#5748316)
Linsey Graham, Senate Judiciary Committee member: “They’ve had tons of time to do this. This has been a drive-by shooting when it comes to Kavanaugh. I’ll listen to the lady, but we’re going to bring this to a close.”

No, this is nothing like a proper investigation.

In case there were any doubts, Mike Davis, the Judiciary Committee’s chief counsel for nominations, tweeted on Wednesday night "Unfazed and determined. We will confirm Judge Kavanaugh."*

I think Ford needs to testify, but I can certainly understand her concerns that the Senate "investigation" may not be all that fair.

* He deleted the tweet and and said "I was referring to Democrats’ partisan political attacks and their refusal to take part in the committee’s thorough and fair investigation. I deleted the tweet to avoid any further misinterpretation by left wing media as so often happens on Twitter."

A "thorough and fair investigation" that will result in "confirm[ing] Judge Kavanaugh", I am sure.
   1455. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: September 20, 2018 at 04:52 PM (#5748317)

When we were incoming freshmen, we got Maya Angelou. That was pretty cool.
   1456. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 20, 2018 at 04:54 PM (#5748319)
She still hasn't agreed to testify. See the qualifications there?

The e-mail doesn't seem to be public (yet), but from the reporting it doesn't appear that Ford has even indicated a preference among the open hearing, closed hearing, or Committee Investigator interview options offered her. Ensuring her safety should be easy, so it just comes down to whether she'll testify under normal Senate procedures. She's not going to get a pass on testifying under oath or being cross-examined. This can all be resolved quickly if she really wants to testify, not so if she's merely looking for a pretext to avoid testifying.
   1457. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: September 20, 2018 at 05:00 PM (#5748320)

Speaking as a white-as-mayonnaise honky, I'll kindly ask you not to compare me to a smarmy, smirking, entitled and mercenary guy like Kavanaugh. Just because we share the same skin color doesn't mean that we're all fascist shitheels. Some of us are good people!
   1458. Mike A Posted: September 20, 2018 at 05:03 PM (#5748321)
The year after I graduated, my girlfriend had Mikhail Gorbachev speak at commencement. It was a pretty big deal at the time...the Soviet Union had just fallen, Jimmy Carter was there, secret service out the wazoo, etc, etc.

And Gorbachev's speech was basically 'do good, be good.' I guess I expected...more.
   1459. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 20, 2018 at 05:06 PM (#5748322)
It "increasingly" looks like Clapper is refurbishing each Ford-Kavanaugh development to fit into the unchanging line of attack he made up.
   1460. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: September 20, 2018 at 05:08 PM (#5748324)
My commencement speaker at Harvard was Robert Rubin, who wasn't that interesting even though I think I agreed with most of what he was saying. I've also seen Tom Brokaw and Energy Secretary Stephen Chu at family members' commencements. Brokaw was a good speaker but I honestly don't remember anything that either said.

At Harvard, the more interesting speakers are often on Class Day, the day before commencement. We had Bono, who I remember being very charismatic and funny. Conan O'Brien spoke the year before, and while I wasn't there the speech was pretty widely circulated on the Internet and was pretty hilarious. You can read it here or watch it here (Part 1) and here (Part 2).

I took Stephen Jay Gould's class as an undergraduate and this story seems very much in character for him.
   1461. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 20, 2018 at 05:08 PM (#5748325)
Chuck Grassley: "I'd hate to have someone ask me what I did 35 years ago."

As has been pointed out by many, Grassley was in the U.S. Senate 35 years ago, voting against making Martin Luther King Day a holiday.
   1462. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: September 20, 2018 at 05:12 PM (#5748327)
Undergrad - Brian Williams
Law school - general counsel of bigly corporation

I missed out on Big Bird by one year.
   1463. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 20, 2018 at 05:18 PM (#5748330)
Chloe Angyal:
"She was drunk, this rape is her fault."

"He was drunk, this rape isn't his fault."
   1464. dlf Posted: September 20, 2018 at 05:18 PM (#5748331)
Since we were talking about the Dow Jones earlier ... I just thought this was pretty funny: the biggest gainer in the last twelve months of the 30 stocks in the DJIA is, after the big bump post-Kapernick, NKE, which is up about 35%.
   1465. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 20, 2018 at 05:20 PM (#5748333)
And for once, full credit for that really does belong to Donald Trump.
   1466. Morty Causa Posted: September 20, 2018 at 05:29 PM (#5748335)
"She was drunk, this rape is her fault."

"He was drunk, this rape isn't his fault.
"

No. It's more like in those situations:

If she was too drunk to consent,

he was too drunk to know that.

And in those situations, they should just take it as one of life's lessons and simply move on.
   1467. SouthSideRyan Posted: September 20, 2018 at 05:34 PM (#5748336)
How about those too young to consent Morty??
   1468. RoyalFlush Posted: September 20, 2018 at 05:36 PM (#5748337)
And in those situations, they should just take it as one of life's lessons and simply move on.

#HeToo?
   1469. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 20, 2018 at 05:53 PM (#5748341)
To back off from Kavanaugh for a minute, here's an essay in the New York Review of Books whose publication resulted in the removal of its editor, Ian Buruma.

Jian Ghomeshi - Reflections from a Hashtag

And here's the front page story in the Times that followed the news of the removal.

New York Review of Books Editor Is Out Amid Uproar Over #MeToo Essay

The NYROB essay is obviously subject to different reactions, but IMO it's more than a little disgraceful that Buruma was effectively fired for simply publishing it. People should read the essay and the accompanying article and decide for themselves.
   1470. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: September 20, 2018 at 06:04 PM (#5748345)
Chuck Grassley: "I'd hate to have someone ask me what I did 35 years ago."

As has been pointed out by many, Grassley was in the U.S. Senate 35 years ago, voting against making Martin Luther King Day a holiday.

And he would probably prefer that people didn’t remember that little factoid, so his quote checks out.
   1471. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: September 20, 2018 at 06:06 PM (#5748347)

“Why am I charged with manslaughter? If he was too drunk to stay out of my line of fire, I was too drunk to know that!”
   1472. TDF, trained monkey Posted: September 20, 2018 at 06:08 PM (#5748348)

Um, what? Her drunkenness has nothing to do with his responsibility for his actions.
   1473. Ray (CTL) Posted: September 20, 2018 at 06:08 PM (#5748349)
Speaking as a white-as-mayonnaise honky, I'll kindly ask you not to compare me to a smarmy, smirking, entitled and mercenary guy like Kavanaugh. Just because we share the same skin color doesn't mean that we're all fascist shitheels. Some of us are good people!

Progressives assume.
   1474. Srul Itza Posted: September 20, 2018 at 06:18 PM (#5748351)
Not clear whether he learned that in micro or macro, but it’s easy to see why this guy won a Nobel Prize.

Krugman received his PhD from the MIT economics department the same year I graduated from MIT with a B.S. in economics.

I don't think I ever ran into him, and if I did, I would not remember it.

I will wager that he was aware of my work -- by which I am in no way referring to anything I did in the economics department.
   1475. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 20, 2018 at 06:18 PM (#5748352)
The NYROB essay is obviously subject to different reactions, but IMO it's more than a little disgraceful that Buruma was effectively fired for simply publishing it. People should read the essay and the accompanying article and decide for themselves.

It's lamentable and I'm surprised Morty hasn't mentioned it yet. I've read the essay and IMO it was thoughtful and balanced. The NYROB is wonderfully curated, much better than any other lit mag (imo of course) and has such great political coverage -- I hope they can continue that without him at the top.
   1476. Srul Itza Posted: September 20, 2018 at 06:20 PM (#5748353)
I did not attend a graduation ceremony at MIT, for multiple reasons.

I have no idea who spoke at my law school graduation.
   1477. TDF, trained monkey Posted: September 20, 2018 at 06:24 PM (#5748354)
Reading your 2nd link, I don't think this is the case. This seems more damning:
When pressed by Mr. Chotiner about the several accusations of sexual assault against Mr. Ghomeshi, Mr. Buruma said: “I’m no judge of the rights and wrongs of every allegation. How can I be?” He also noted that Mr. Ghomeshi had been acquitted and said there was no proof he had committed a crime, adding, “The exact nature of his behavior — how much consent was involved — I have no idea, nor is it really my concern.”
The guy just seems to not care what Ghomeshi did, nor care if anyone else does care.

EDIT: If Buruma had instead said "Yeah, Ghomeshi has a sketchy background, but he has an important story to tell", he probably still has a job.
   1478. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 20, 2018 at 06:25 PM (#5748355)

I have an MIT grad client, think he graduated in '68. He brings me MIT mags everytime he needs computer help. He's kinda old and senile now but he does have some good stories. Seems a pretty close knit fraternity, MIT grads.
   1479. TDF, trained monkey Posted: September 20, 2018 at 06:25 PM (#5748356)
Neither did I.

The most important being, neither I nor anyone I know went to school there.
   1480. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 20, 2018 at 06:35 PM (#5748365)
Glenn Greenwald

Verified account

@ggreenwald
6m6 minutes ago
More
Until the establishment factions in the democratic world who have been ruling for decades start to engage in serious self-critique, and examine their own role in fostering mass discontent & rage, we're going to have more Dutertes, Bolsonaros, LePens, Brexits and Trumps.

LMAO, he couldn't bring himself to mention Putin, could he? What a little smarmy ##### Glenn is.
   1481. Srul Itza Posted: September 20, 2018 at 06:36 PM (#5748367)
He's kinda old and senile now

So that's what I have to look forward to in 9 years?

1482. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 20, 2018 at 06:38 PM (#5748369)
So that's what I have to look forward to in 9 years?

Class of '77?
   1483. Srul Itza Posted: September 20, 2018 at 06:45 PM (#5748373)
Yes, Class of '77.
   1484. Ray (CTL) Posted: September 20, 2018 at 06:55 PM (#5748375)
NY Post reporting that Kavanaugh is also getting death threats.

1485. perros Posted: September 20, 2018 at 07:02 PM (#5748381)

How about those too young to consent Morty??

What would Mel Hall do?
   1486. Avoid Running At All Times- S. Paige Posted: September 20, 2018 at 07:03 PM (#5748382)
I just assume every Supreme Court justice nominee gets death threats as a matter of course. This is America and the position is a pretty contested one.
   1487. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: September 20, 2018 at 07:07 PM (#5748384)
Why would Ray even bring that up? Death threats are no biggie, I understand from reading this space.
   1488. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: September 20, 2018 at 07:09 PM (#5748387)
So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I am going to vomit you out of my mouth

I for one am getting tired of all the cockholstering references.
   1489. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: September 20, 2018 at 07:20 PM (#5748390)
1398. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 08, 2016 at 10:36 PM (#5349186)
Honest question: Is a Trump presidency the beginning of the end of the US as the world's greatest superpower? The US does have "checks and balances" and a president's power is not unlimited but it is substantial.

I predict the DOW down 3,000 tomorrow.

OK, you got me. I don't remember posting anything like that, but I was probably drinking heavily that night.
   1490. Howie Menckel Posted: September 20, 2018 at 07:34 PM (#5748405)
does Sen. Cotton of Arkansas get into the public-eye mosh pit very often? if so, I haven't noticed. seems he took Feinstein's righteous indignation over the nasty Washington Post not respecting this woman's right to privacy as a bridge too far (if he had typed "not a good look," I'd suspect he was an anonymous poster here!):

Tom Cotton
‏Verified account @TomCottonAR
Sep 19

Tom Cotton Retweeted Sen Dianne Feinstein

.@SenFeinstein says “the media outed” Judge Kavanaugh’s accuser. But only Democrats & their aides had access to the letter. So what she really means is Democrats leaked the letter. Either @SenFeinstein approved the leak or she can’t control her own committee. Neither good.
   1491. BDC Posted: September 20, 2018 at 07:42 PM (#5748412)
Ian Buruma, incidentally, is the author of a pretty good novel about cricket called Playing the Game. It focuses on the life of the Indian cricketer Ranji. Being an idiot, I always assumed that Buruma was of Indian descent from a cursory look at his name, but now I see that he is Dutch.
   1492. perros Posted: September 20, 2018 at 07:45 PM (#5748415)
From the NyT piece on Buruna's canning was John Hockenberry's pity party piece Exile which contained an interesting reflection upon reading and re-reading Andrea Dworkin's Intercourse:

Men possess women when men #### women because both experience the man being male. This is the stunning logic of male supremacy. In this view, which is the predominant one, maleness is aggressive and violent; and so #######, in which both the man and the woman experience maleness, essentially demands the disappearance of the woman as an individual; thus, in being ######, she is possessed: ceases to exist as a discrete individual: is taken over.

Remarkably, it is not the man who is considered possessed in intercourse, even though he (his penis) is buried inside another human being; and his penis is surrounded by strong muscles that contract like a fist shutting tight and release with a force that pushes hard on the tender thing, always so vulnerable no matter how hard. He is not possessed even though his penis is gone—disappeared inside someone else, enveloped, smothered, in the muscled lining of flesh that he never sees, only feels, gripping, releasing, gripping, tighter, harder, firmer, then pushing out: and can he get out alive?

Remember reading it thirty years back with quite an impact. Hockenberry's reading is that inequality is the issue, not intercourse. IOW, the social ability for women to say NO.
   1493. perros Posted: September 20, 2018 at 07:48 PM (#5748421)

I for one am getting tired of all the cockholstering references.

Excellent.
   1494. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 20, 2018 at 07:53 PM (#5748427)
Ray, #1484:
NY Post reporting that Kavanaugh is also getting death threats.

When was the last time any Supreme Court nominee was murdered? Pshaw!

Besides, the 11th-and-a-halfth-hour timing of these threats is incredibly suspicious. These "threats" have all the earmarks of being being sent by crisis actors paid by the Republican Party.
   1495. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 20, 2018 at 07:53 PM (#5748429)
Some interesting speculation in this Twitter thread about a Kavanaugh doppelgänger classmate who lived in a house similar to the one described by Ford. Of course, if Ford had gone through the normal witness process, we'd already know (or the Committee would) if she knew Kavanaugh's name before the alleged incident, or she only attached Kavanaugh to the incident after the fact.
   1496. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 20, 2018 at 07:55 PM (#5748433)

It's lamentable and I'm surprised Morty hasn't mentioned it yet. I've read the essay and IMO it was thoughtful and balanced. The NYROB is wonderfully curated, much better than any other lit mag (imo of course) and has such great political coverage -- I hope they can continue that without him at the top.

I'm sure they will, but it's still sad to see someone effectively forced out because of a decision to publish a solitary essay. I thought the essay itself was a bit self-justifying, but I'm glad it was published and it was definitely worth reading.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reading your 2nd link, I don't think this is the case. This seems more damning:

When pressed by Mr. Chotiner about the several accusations of sexual assault against Mr. Ghomeshi, Mr. Buruma said: “I’m no judge of the rights and wrongs of every allegation. How can I be?” He also noted that Mr. Ghomeshi had been acquitted and said there was no proof he had committed a crime, adding, “The exact nature of his behavior — how much consent was involved — I have no idea, nor is it really my concern.”

The guy just seems to not care what Ghomeshi did, nor care if anyone else does care.

First, I agree that Buruma should have pressed Ghomeshi on some of those cases where his lack of a conviction didn't tell the whole story. But overall the essay had a distinct POV, and letting Buruma go for merely publishing it reeks more of CYA panic than a rational reaction.
   1497. Count Posted: September 20, 2018 at 07:55 PM (#5748434)
I was about to write that Ed Whelan, who was a basis for the rumors that conservative legal scholars and people close to Kavanaugh felt very confident, posted a nutso conspiracy theory that slandered a random guy. Embarrassing and unethical. And then I saw that YC had just posted it!
   1498. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 20, 2018 at 07:55 PM (#5748435)
Remember reading it thirty years back with quite an impact. Hockenberry's reading is that inequality is the issue, not intercourse. IOW, the social ability for women to say NO.

the archetypes that the 2nd wave feminists deconstructed around the actual act were always pretty thought provoking imo. A lot of gender arises out of the mythology surrounding the actual act of screwing.
   1499. Lassus Posted: September 20, 2018 at 07:58 PM (#5748438)
Kavanaugh doppelgänger classmate

I'll give you this, it is actually more hilarious than depressing what you've been reduced to.
   1500. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 20, 2018 at 08:00 PM (#5748439)
I have the sense that the Democrats are becoming increasingly worried that Kavanaugh had a next-door genetically modified clone who drank even more than the real one did.
Page 15 of 25 pages ‹ First  < 13 14 15 16 17 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
dirk
for his generous support.