Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, September 05, 2018

OTP 2018 September 4: Candidate for governor pitches politics at Jacksonville baseball game

The Democratic candidate for governor spent his Labor Day in Jacksonville and attended a Jumbo Shrimp game at the baseball grounds.

Tallahassee Mayor Andrew Gillum called for his Republican opponent, Ron DeSantis, to have a more civil campaign, but New4Jax political analyst Rick Mullaney doesn’t think the political attacks will slow down.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 05, 2018 at 08:26 AM | 1496 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 15 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›
   1. Jack Keefe Posted: September 05, 2018 at 09:23 AM (#5738830)
Al let me tell you the most amazing thing that is ever happened to Me. Al you may remember I have a little Dog his name is Podsednik. He is a Halve Bread Al I got him when I brook up with my girl freind Tawny and he is the sweetest little thing you bet. I do not not what is in this dog I think he is half Cocked Spanish and half Minature Scherzer. But that is not the point Al let me explane.

Well it was yesterday Laber Day Al and I was poring Podsednik some Kittle in his favrite bowl the one with the Tebow Tubbies on it. And I must of stood up too fast because I brained myself something Awe Full on the Cabnet Door. You bet that smarted! Now I know how famous Foot Ball players like Trey Acheman and Ben Rapeusburger used to feel when they got their Concannons. I was out for a few minutes and seeing stars when I awoke because Podsednik was licking my Aye Lids.

Now you know me Al I was all ways a Democrat even some thing of a Social List. I voted twict for Barack Obrella and even before that the first time I voided I cast a Hanging Chad for Algor. But Al after that Concannon every thing makes sense to me. Social Listing is of Satan Al and they want to make us like Venezuela and we would all be talking like Ozzie Guillen with his Venetian Gibberish and his Politically Correctness. Al I want to call a Spade a Spade no matter if Ozzie Guillen used to say not Spade Keefe you must say Rhythm Enhanced Fraternal American.

And best of all Al I now see that Donald Rump is our only Selfation. What that man has Dunn for our ###### in just 2 short years Al. He has emitted a stream of Judicial Nomo Nations second to none in Quality and Susteigned Flow. And his Stupardship of the Financial Markets is Pearless. Plus Rump no longer wants to omit Raghead Camel Jockies so what if Ozzie Guillen would have told me Keefe you must say Non-Interest-Demanding Americans. Rump is the Fathead I never knew Al he is my Rocco Gibraltar and without Rump ever 1 would take a Kneel when he heard the stirring strains of the National Ant Hem just like Column Caberneck. Al I am so creamy with Rump Thoughts I could have an Oar Chasm. I must sit down before I splotz Al. I just had to rush and tell all my Oatie Pea pals the great news hens fourth I will be on the side of making America Grate again.
   2. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: September 05, 2018 at 09:35 AM (#5738835)
Just a quick note this morning to remind folks that Brett Kavanaugh employs white power trolls, and Yankee Clapper defends them as he suckles up to the teat of power.
   3. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 05, 2018 at 09:37 AM (#5738836)
If we've lost Keefe...
   4. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: September 05, 2018 at 09:38 AM (#5738837)
Keefe, how did you manage to spell "Venezuela" correctly?
   5. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: September 05, 2018 at 09:39 AM (#5738839)

Traumatic brain injury.
   6. DavidFoss Posted: September 05, 2018 at 09:40 AM (#5738840)
Who is Al?
   7. Nasty Nate Posted: September 05, 2018 at 09:41 AM (#5738841)

He was talking about Fernando the pitcher.
   8. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: September 05, 2018 at 09:41 AM (#5738842)
Venezuela, heck, he spelled Rhythm Enhanced Fraternal American correctly. :-)
   9. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: September 05, 2018 at 09:43 AM (#5738845)
Just want to make sure this one doesn't get lost at the end of the last thread:

1640. Random Transaction Generator Posted: September 05, 2018 at 09:22 AM (#5738829)
Trump made the remarks in an Oval Office interview with the Daily Caller hours after his Supreme Court nominee, Brett M. Kavanaugh, was greeted by protests on the first day of his confirmation hearings on Capitol Hill.

“I don’t know why they don’t take care of a situation like that,” Trump said. “I think it’s embarrassing for the country to allow protesters. You don’t even know what side the protesters are on.”
   10. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: September 05, 2018 at 09:46 AM (#5738847)
There's little doubt that Trump has no idea what the First Amendment reads.
   11. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 05, 2018 at 09:46 AM (#5738848)
Are we sure Ted Cruz doesn't want to lose?

For a guy with half as much CoH as his opponents, I'm not entirely sure why Team Cruz is wasting it on this ad.

"Beto shows the #### up"? And then you show him all sweaty and energetic?

Hilarious... Ted "Tough as Texas" Cruz gets the vapors over F bombs... while he begs the guy who called him Lying Ted, accused his own dad of complicity in the Kennedy assassination, and called his wife an ugly criminal to come hold a rally for him?

Tough as Texas indeed!

I no longer would need 10-1 odds to place a big fat bet on Beto... I'd still want maybe 2-1, but Cruz is showing all the hallmarks of a just-months-ago-(relatively)-safe incumbent likely to go down...
   12. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 05, 2018 at 09:50 AM (#5738850)
Because every thread should have this near the top ...

“He’s an idiot. It’s pointless to try to convince him of anything. He’s gone off the rails. We’re in Crazytown. I don’t even know why any of us are here. This is the worst job I’ve ever had.”

— White House chief of staff John Kelly, quoted in Fear: Trump in the White House, about President Trump.
   13. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 05, 2018 at 09:53 AM (#5738851)
This is totally normal ... Ex-GOP Governor Endorses Democrat for Kansas Governor

Republicans in Kansas further splintered as former Gov. Bill Graves (R) endorsed Laura Kelly (D) for governor over Kris Kobach (R), his party’s nominee, the Kansas City Star reports.

Said Graves: “Laura Kelly is the only Democrat I have ever endorsed for public office. And the reason I’m doing that now is because I believe so much is at stake in the state of Kansas.”

So is this ... GOP Lawmaker Caught In Fake Signature Scandal

Rep. Scott Taylor (R-VA)” is hunkered down in the midst of a strange campaign scandal involving forged signatures on petitions to get a competing candidate into the race,” the Washington Post reports.

“Taylor has been subpoenaed to a court hearing Wednesday in Richmond to determine his role and whether that third candidate is improperly on the ballot, while a special prosecutor separately investigates possible campaign law violations.”

“The controversy has boosted his Democratic opponent, Elaine Luria, in a race with national implications. The 2nd District… went for Trump in 2016 but backed Democratic Gov. Ralph Northam last year. It’s a race targeted by Democrats as a possible flip in their quest to regain control of the House of Representatives.”

Political party or criminal enterprise? Why not both?
   14. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 05, 2018 at 09:53 AM (#5738852)
More of Trump showing his understanding of how federal law enforcement should work...

Trump is "in the worst mood of his presidency and calling friends and allies to vent about his selection of (Attorney General Jeff) Sessions and Wray," said one person familiar with the president’s thinking. This person said the president was particularly focused on both men over the Labor Day weekend.

Unreal.

Trump thinks the DOJ should be his personal law firm and the FBI should be his security detail, occasionally tasked with going after opponents.

15. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: September 05, 2018 at 09:58 AM (#5738855)

“I think it’s embarrassing for the country to allow protesters. You don’t even know what side the protesters are on." (but if they're on my side, it's OK)

Fixed. Anything I can do to help out the President...
   16. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 05, 2018 at 09:58 AM (#5738856)
   17. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 05, 2018 at 10:00 AM (#5738859)
60 GOP House Seats In Danger

“Roughly 100 of the 240 Republican-controlled House seats are currently within Democratic reach, posing the most serious threat to the GOP majority since the party won control in 2010,” Politico reports.

“Despite the GOP’s built-in advantages due to incumbency and redistricting, 60 of those seats are even more precariously positioned, with the Republican nominee either holding just a slight competitive edge, dead even against their Democratic opponent or trailing.”

For November, Democrats Are Competing in Deeply Red Territory

I mentioned the other day that all of the toss-up races for governor are in states where the chief executive is a Republican. According to David Wasserman, we’re seeing the same thing in House races.

The playing field of competitive races has expanded, and not in a good way for the GOP: of the 66 races in our “Lean” and “Toss Up” columns, Republicans are defending 62 and Democrats just four. The battlefield includes all types of places: northeastern suburbs, Sun Belt exurbs, Trump zones in the Rust Belt and unexpected locales like Little Rock, Spokane and even the coalfields of southern West Virginia.

In terms of specific races, there are now two polls out since Andrew Gillum became the Democratic nominee for governor of Florida. Since he only won the primary with a plurality of the vote, there was some initial concern about how we would do in the general election this November. But Gravis has him beating DeSantis by 2 and Quinnipiac has him ahead by 3. It’s still really early in that race, but what is obvious is that Gillum is going to keep it close.

The Kansas governor’s race has also been in the news. You might remember that Kris Kobach won the Republican primary in a real squeaker against Jeff Colyer, who took over as governor when Sam Brownback accepted an ambassadorship. Not too long after that, this happened:

The Kansas Supreme Court has ruled that a grand jury must be convened to investigate whether Secretary of State Kris Kobach intentionally botched voter registration in the state in the 2016 elections. Kobach, the Republican candidate for Kansas governor in the upcoming 2018 midterms, is a key ally of President Donald Trump on voter fraud and headed the president’s since-disbanded election fraud commission.

As I have said before my measure of how good the midterm is will be down ballot races, state and local. But all the GOP corruption and scandal at the Federal and Governor level has to help.

And all this is with a pretty darn good economy, but eventually that bill is going to come due. How much with the GOP be willing to support Trump after he has presided over a disastrous midterm election and once the economy goes south and his support craters further?
   18. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: September 05, 2018 at 10:01 AM (#5738861)
Deleted for idiocy and incoherance.
   19. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: September 05, 2018 at 10:05 AM (#5738863)
Trump thinks the DOJ should be his personal law firm and the FBI should be his security detail, occasionally tasked with going after opponents.

I think it was Ron who always answered the "how much damage could he really do? American institutions wouldn't allow it..." hand wave with "imagine him in control of the DOJ."
   20. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: September 05, 2018 at 10:08 AM (#5738865)

Those are bars to posting? No more copy-&-pastes of Trump tweets!
   21. Traderdave Posted: September 05, 2018 at 10:09 AM (#5738866)

WaPo: Trump suggests libel laws should be changed after uproar over Woodward book

====================

I'd hate to be the one who has to sit him down to tell him his tweets would be subject to libel laws as well.
   22. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: September 05, 2018 at 10:14 AM (#5738869)

Those are bars to posting? No more copy-&-pastes of Trump tweets!

I prefer to think of it as self-censoring...
   23. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: September 05, 2018 at 10:16 AM (#5738870)

You are dangerous & evil & should have your internet-accessing instrument(s) of choice taken away.
   24. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 05, 2018 at 10:44 AM (#5738878)

You are dangerous & evil & should have your internet-accessing instrument(s) of choice taken away.

Worse, it means that MFC has forever marked himself as unfit to be a GOP Presidential nominee...
   25. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: September 05, 2018 at 10:48 AM (#5738882)

Worse, it means that MFC has forever marked himself as unfit to be a GOP Presidential nominee...

Dadgummit! There go all my plans...
   26. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 05, 2018 at 10:50 AM (#5738885)
Dadgummit! There go all my plans...

Well, technically - I guess I overstated it with "forever".

As I understand it, you could technically regain your eligibility by threatening to lock up the Clintons, meet with the Falwells of the world, and just say that your self-censoring was a Fake Post.
   27. Lassus Posted: September 05, 2018 at 10:51 AM (#5738886)
A man kept crashing his truck into a FOX TV station ranting about "high treason" and "purge of the fake media" this morning, and I have both conservatives and liberals in my FACEBOOK feed claiming moral and political high ground and victory as a result.
   28. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 05, 2018 at 10:51 AM (#5738887)
Trump is "in the worst mood of his presidency and calling friends and allies to vent about his selection of (Attorney General Jeff) Sessions and Wray," said one person familiar with the president’s thinking. This person said the president was particularly focused on both men over the Labor Day weekend.

Unreal.

I don't see how we should allow this man to appoint a Supreme Court justice without further investigation. We already know he openly demanded "loyalty" from James Comey. What demands has he made of Kavanaugh? The Republican party has a history of making under-the-table deals with judges as evidence by Nixon bribing Bork with an offer of a Supreme Court slot. There is too much scandal swirling around Donald Trump and his obviously distorted sense of legal accountability to allow him to appoint a Supreme Court justice who may be participating in legal review of Trump's actions without extensive investigation and review of all communications and interactions between these men and their proxies.
   29. BDC Posted: September 05, 2018 at 10:55 AM (#5738890)
A man kept crashing his truck into a FOX TV station ranting about "high treason" and "purge of the fake media" this morning

YR may be onto something with his "stupids" theory:

KDFW employees told CBSDFW reporter MaryAnn Martinez that the driver had actually intended to target WFAA-TV, the ABC affiliate in Dallas, but went to the wrong TV station.
   30. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 05, 2018 at 10:59 AM (#5738894)
KDFW employees told CBSDFW reporter MaryAnn Martinez that the driver had actually intended to target WFAA-TV, the ABC affiliate in Dallas, but went to the wrong TV station.

Huh - that's weird... I was under the impression that call signs west of the Mississippi all started with K/east with W.... Or was that just for radio call signs? Or is it no longer true?
   31. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: September 05, 2018 at 10:59 AM (#5738895)
Are you sure this wasn't Florida Man masquerading as Texas Man?
   32. BDC Posted: September 05, 2018 at 11:03 AM (#5738900)
Huh - that's weird... I was under the impression that call signs west of the Mississippi all started with K/east with W.... Or was that just for radio call signs? Or is it no longer true?

For some reason, Texas lies along a fault line of sorts in the call-sign world. It's a mixed bag here. I don't remember why.

Though there are exceptions in the East, too, or used to be. I remember most of the Philadelphia stations starting with W, but there was KYW prominent among them.
   33. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: September 05, 2018 at 11:03 AM (#5738901)
I kind of blew off the last couple pages of the old thread, so forgive me if I'm treading old ground, here.

Was there any OTP discussion about Kavanaugh heel-turning from the father of a Parkland victim and pretending not to hear him?
   34. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 05, 2018 at 11:04 AM (#5738903)
A man kept crashing his truck into a FOX TV station ranting about "high treason" and "purge of the fake media" this morning

YR may be onto something with his "stupids" theory:

This was after he'd burned his Nike sneakers after forgetting to take them off his feet
   35. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: September 05, 2018 at 11:04 AM (#5738904)
Though there are exceptions in the East, too, or used to be. I remember most of the Philadelphia stations starting with W, but there was KYW prominent among them.

The very first radio station, KDKA, Pittsburgh, PA.

It rhymes.
   36. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 05, 2018 at 11:06 AM (#5738907)

This was after he'd burned his Nike sneakers after forgetting to first take them off his feet

He was in a hurry to buy a new Keurig to replace the one he smashed last year.
   37. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 05, 2018 at 11:07 AM (#5738908)

It may be that there are just exceptions to the general rule. KDKA and KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh, for instance.

EDIT: cokes to BDC and MFC
   38. BDC Posted: September 05, 2018 at 11:10 AM (#5738909)
Looking it up, the Texas radio & TV stations seem to be mostly K's. I may have an inflated notion of the number of W's because of WFAA-TV, and because the Rangers used to be on WBAP radio – and the Dallas classical radio station is WRR :)
   39. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: September 05, 2018 at 11:11 AM (#5738910)
Was there any OTP discussion about Kavanaugh heel-turning from the father of a Parkland victim and pretending not to hear him?

Guttenberg. Kavanaugh looked liked he was afraid of being shot. Guttenberg said he'd be back today and would try to shake his hand again.
   40. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: September 05, 2018 at 11:13 AM (#5738912)

When I was a kid the best AM radio station I could (occasionally, & even then almost always within [un]healthy clouds of static) pull in from a playlist standpoint* was WOAI in San Antonio, some 500 miles southwest of me. Alas, Wiki tells me they went to a talk format in the late '70s. A few years before then, apparently, their acquisition played a part in laying the foundation for Clear Channel.

Around 1972 they announced that (duplicate, I assume, or maybe they went to using tape?) 45s from their library were for sale for something like $1 each. I had my mom (I'd have been 12, probably) write them a check for $5, & in return the mail eventually brought me such beloved but locally unavailable gems as "Up Around the Bend" & "Brown-Eyed Girl."

*For instance, I never heard the Shreveport stations play the personally epochal "DOA" by Bloodrock; I heard absolutely electrifying portions of it twice, however faintly, via WOAI.
   41. JL72 Posted: September 05, 2018 at 11:15 AM (#5738915)
"Tough as Texas" Cruz gets the vapors over F bombs... while he begs the guy who called him Lying Ted

It seems like this ad writes itself (and maybe it has as I have not bothered to look for it), with clips of Trump insulting Cruz, Cruz calling Trump a liar, and then Cruz sucking up to Trump. And then concluding with "This is Not 'Tough as Texas'".
   42. JL72 Posted: September 05, 2018 at 11:20 AM (#5738920)
Article on the K/W issue for stations

In short, apparently the divide was originally the Texas - New Mexico border, then got moved east. KU and KD were given anywhere during 1920-21 for some reason.
   43. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 05, 2018 at 11:21 AM (#5738921)
It seems like this ad writes itself (and maybe it has as I have not bothered to look for it), with clips of Trump insulting Cruz, Cruz calling Trump a liar, and then Cruz sucking up to Trump. And then concluding with "This is Not 'Tough as Texas'".

Beto vs The Beta.
   44. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: September 05, 2018 at 11:21 AM (#5738922)

The Kansas Supreme Court has ruled that a grand jury must be convened to investigate whether Secretary of State Kris Kobach intentionally botched voter registration in the state in the 2016 elections. Kobach, the Republican candidate for Kansas governor in the upcoming 2018 midterms, is a key ally of President Donald Trump on voter fraud and headed the president’s since-disbanded election fraud commission.

Only the best people. The. Best.
   45. Tony S Posted: September 05, 2018 at 11:27 AM (#5738928)

You probably don't need the "This Is Not". Unless Texans are unusually irony-impaired.

46. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: September 05, 2018 at 11:32 AM (#5738933)
Beto vs The Beta.

Initially read that as Beto vs. Thetan & was wondering whether Lyin' Ted had been outed as a Scientologist.
   47. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 05, 2018 at 11:33 AM (#5738934)
He's too weird and unlikable for Scientology.
   48. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 05, 2018 at 11:45 AM (#5738942)
He's too weird and unlikable for Scientology.

Is that even legal?
   49. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 05, 2018 at 11:51 AM (#5738946)
The Kansas Supreme Court has ruled that a grand jury must be convened to investigate whether Secretary of State Kris Kobach intentionally botched voter registration in the state in the 2016 elections.

To clarify, that's not the normal grand jury process, but "a citizen-initiated grand jury" resulting from a petition process started by a Democratic legislative candidate alleging Kobach or others in his office had engaged in "destroying, obstructing, or failing to deliver online voter registration," as well as possessing falsely made or altered registration books, preventing qualified electors from voting, and "being grossly neglectful with respect to their election duties." Kobach's defense is that those allegations relate to a short period of time in 2016 when some online voter registration systems were malfunctioning but those problems were resolved. Not clear that anything will come from that, and unlike the normal grand jury process, no prosecutor has determined that there is a sufficient basis to launch a grand jury inquiry.
   50. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 05, 2018 at 11:55 AM (#5738949)
   51. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 05, 2018 at 11:56 AM (#5738950)
To clarify, that's not the normal grand jury process, but "a citizen-initiated grand jury" resulting from a petition process started by a Democratic legislative candidate alleging Kobach or others in his office had engaged in "destroying, obstructing, or failing to deliver online voter registration," as well as possessing falsely made or altered registration books, preventing qualified electors from voting, and "being grossly neglectful with respect to their election duties." Kobach's defense is that those allegations relate to a short period of time in 2016 when some online voter registration systems were malfunctioning but those problems were resolved. Not clear that anything will come from that, and unlike the normal grand jury process, no prosecutor has determined that there is a sufficient basis to launch a grand jury inquiry.

Did they teach that in one of Kobach's court-mandated remedial education classes?
   52. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 05, 2018 at 12:01 PM (#5738953)
Shorter clapper: those peons that brought this action need to bow down.
   53. SandyRiver Posted: September 05, 2018 at 12:41 PM (#5738963)
Guttenberg. Kavanaugh looked liked he was afraid of being shot. Guttenberg said he'd be back today and would try to shake his hand again.

In that raucous high-tension environment, I'd probably feel the same way if a stranger came striding toward me with hand outstretched. It's not like someone running for Congress, with handshakes by the thousands being part of the landscape. Having watched the incident several times (with no useful sound feed, unfortunately), I've no idea what Mr. Guttenberg said or if Kavanaugh was able to hear/understand it in the second or two before the security guy stepped between them. IMO, trying to portray this as an intentional and knowing snub of a Parkland relative (rather than instinctive reaction) requires a whole lot of assumptions without much evidence.
   54. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 05, 2018 at 12:51 PM (#5738964)

IMO, trying to portray this as an intentional and knowing snub of a Parkland relative (rather than instinctive reaction) requires a whole lot of assumptions without much evidence.
I agree. But a better question is why the guy is there at all. I mean, I know he was invited by DiFi; I mean, why he was invited. And, obviously, I know why he was invited: for just such a stunt as this. I mean, what the pretext is. There's no reason on earth why he would belong at a judicial confirmation hearing.
   55. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 05, 2018 at 12:55 PM (#5738967)
Least surprising development of the day:

Justice Department to address whether tech companies ‘may be hurting competition’ with alleged censorship on social media platforms
Attorney General Jeff Sessions will meet with state attorneys general later this month to discuss whether tech companies may be “intentionally stifling the free exchange of ideas,” the Justice Department said Wednesday in a statement.

DOJ’s assertion comes a week after the White House said it would explore regulating Google. ...
   56. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: September 05, 2018 at 12:57 PM (#5738968)
I agree. But a better question is why the guy is there at all. I mean, I know he was invited by DiFi; I mean, why he was invited. And, obviously, I know why he was invited: for just such a stunt as this. I mean, what the pretext is. There's no reason on earth why he would belong at a judicial confirmation hearing.

Weren't we all invited? I mean, I had to pass along my regrets because my plate's too full here at work, but surely a representative contingent from OT:P was present & accounted for.
   57. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 05, 2018 at 12:58 PM (#5738969)
There's no reason on earth why he would belong at a judicial confirmation hearing.
+1. Stupid stunt; to manufacture a story.
   58. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 05, 2018 at 01:01 PM (#5738971)

Meh... by the same token, why should it matter that Kavanaugh feels the need to call himself "collegial" or why do we get all these stories about his wonderful family life?

Let's not bother pretending there isn't plenty of ample political theater to go around.
   59. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 05, 2018 at 01:06 PM (#5738974)

I think the most charitable argument would be, "Kavanaugh believes the second amendment protects individual rights, so we want him to see the costs of that position." But that's not how judging is supposed to work, and somehow I don't think that's really an approach we want to encourage. Would people want to see Trumpkins forcing judicial nominees to confront the families of people killed by illegal aliens or Muslim terrorists?
   60. zenbitz Posted: September 05, 2018 at 01:07 PM (#5738976)
That glorious, glorious efficiency of the world's best healthcare system.

Actually pretty furious about this system right now, although $10 cough drops is just a symptom of stupid accounting tricks.

No, what burns my butt is the *amazing* confluence of all the stupid government and corporate red tape that exists to:
a) protect patients from insurance companies (HIPAA)
b) protect doctors from lawyers - because people love to sue when they get unlucky.
c) protect everyone from frauds - because medicine is generally for-profit (FDA)

Coupled with the absolute siloing of medical records and data - for example I was talking to the Clinical Cancer Genomics Lab at UCSF yesterday (actually a job interview but not one that I am super interested in taking) ... they run about 500 tumor samples a year. At essentially a small loss because they can't get medicare or other classes of reimbursement. Also they don't share data or methods with even the whole UC hospital system, let alone places like Kaiser (LITERALLY NEXT DOOR), SF General, Stanford, or other organizations that all run COMPETING health panels (not to mention the 15 odd Stanford based start up companies that all perform some service like this).

It is completely insane. Everyone gets cancer. Even in the purest Libertarian idiocracy you can't BUY YOUR CANCER OFF. It's still going to kill you.

If the Military was run like the health care in this country, we would have 25,000 standing armies like 1 brigade strong, each with their own logistics and ammunition requirements. And they would compete for low bids to see who got to send their guys to the middle east.
   61. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 05, 2018 at 01:10 PM (#5738979)

Meh... by the same token, why should it matter that Kavanaugh feels the need to call himself "collegial" or why do we get all these stories about his wonderful family life?
That's largely fluff, yes, but the character and temperament of a judge are pertinent to his confirmation. But Guttenberg can't speak to those things. If Democrats were bringing in people who know Kavanaugh to say that he's a bad person, that would be relevant. But that's not Guttenberg.
   62. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 05, 2018 at 01:16 PM (#5738986)
If Democrats were bringing in people who know Kavanaugh to say that he's a bad person, that would be relevant.

Based on Anita Hill's life since testifying on such, I suspect such folks aren't too eager to be that person (if they exist).
   63. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 05, 2018 at 01:19 PM (#5738990)

David, I'd still like to know what caused you to switch from a two time Clinton voter to what you are today. Over 41,000 comments and I can't remember that you've ever explained your Whittaker Chambers-style evolution. What's the Rosebud in your past?
It's a sled.

It's not like there was one single instant. I started out a liberal Democrat, remained a Democrat as I became more libertarian -- the war on drugs (and, no, not as a user) was what pushed me in that direction -- and then realized that the justification for remaining a Democrat was based on an outdated stereotype ("Yeah, Democrats aren't as good on economic liberty but at least they're much better on civil liberties.")
   64. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 05, 2018 at 01:24 PM (#5738996)
Oh, look...

Another Daily Caller writer cut loose because he used to write racist claptrap for a white supremacist...

I don't recall if Greer was noted previously - I think he was, but TDC employs so many white supremacists (or "used to be!" white supremacists) that I confess it's hard to keep track of all of them.

Maybe Juannity has a more accurate accounting.
   65. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 05, 2018 at 01:27 PM (#5738999)
But why on earth would a white supremacist ever want to write for a mainstream conservative publication founded by Tucker Carlson?!?!?!?
   66. Jack Keefe Posted: September 05, 2018 at 01:30 PM (#5739000)
It's not like there was one single instant

With me it was a single Instance. 1 Minute I was a Social List Enema of the People and the next Minute Bang I had a Corn Cushion and I was a Libertarian. There are many Paths to the same Truth Al.
   67. Swoboda is freedom Posted: September 05, 2018 at 01:38 PM (#5739004)
It's not like there was one single instant. I started out a liberal Democrat, remained a Democrat as I became more libertarian -- the war on drugs (and, no, not as a user) was what pushed me in that direction -- and then realized that the justification for remaining a Democrat was based on an outdated stereotype ("Yeah, Democrats aren't as good on economic liberty but at least they're much better on civil liberties.")

We demand a road to Damascus moment!!
   68. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 05, 2018 at 01:41 PM (#5739008)
I don't recall if Greer was noted previously - I think he was, but TDC employs so many white supremacists (or "used to be!" white supremacists) that I confess it's hard to keep track of all of them.

Is it a feature or a bug that so many of the alt-right write under pseudonyms?
   69. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 05, 2018 at 01:42 PM (#5739009)

We demand a road to Damascus moment!!

Heh - per above, maybe it's the lack of one :-)
   70. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 05, 2018 at 01:45 PM (#5739012)
The times we live in - Chuck Schumer Insufficiently Partisan For Some - Liberal Groups Knock Schumer's Handling Of Kavanaugh Nomination:
Progressive groups have a blunt assessment of Sen. Chuck Schumer’s work to defeat Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination: “You are failing us.” Thirteen liberal groups have signed on to a letter, delivered Wednesday morning, that pans the minority leader’s strategy of stopping President Donald Trump’s nominee for the Supreme Court. They say that “the Democratic Party’s progressive base expects nothing less than all-out resistance to Trump’s dangerous agenda,” and question whether Schumer is delivering it.
. . .
“It is wrong to assume that a no vote on Kavanaugh puts red-state Democrats in electoral peril or somehow protects them from Republican attacks,” they write. “Anything less than 49 Democratic votes against Kavanaugh would be a massive failure of your leadership. We hope you won’t let us down.”

Schumer might wish that the votes of all 49 Democratic Senators belonged to him, but it doesn't work that way. However, Schumer did object today to the routine unanimous consent request to allow Committees to meet for more than 2 hours while the Senate is in session, causing the Senate to adjourn for the day so the Committee could continue its hearing, where Kavanaugh is doing just fine.
   71. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 05, 2018 at 01:49 PM (#5739014)
The times we live in - Chuck Schumer Insufficiently Partisan For Some

This from a Trumpkin.... where people like Jeff Flake, John McCain, John Kasich, or Bill friggin' Kristol get exiled because their only sin is refusing to bow before Dear Leader.

Honestly, dude... how do you type these things without choking to death on your own hypocrisy?
   72. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 05, 2018 at 01:50 PM (#5739015)
The times we live in - Chuck Schumer Insufficiently Partisan For Some

I know you have a hard time understanding this, so I will use small and simple words. For Democrats it is OK to disagree, especially about tactics. We are a big tent party; where diversity is valued, and that means a variety of voices and opinions together moving the Democratic Party forward, even if we don't all agree about something.

I know you are used to political purity tests and exile to Siberia for insufficient fealty to the Great Leader, but that is not how it works on the other side of the aisle.
   73. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 05, 2018 at 01:52 PM (#5739016)
$250 million settlement reached in State Farm lawsuit

This #### is nuts:

State Farm will pay $250 million to settle a federal lawsuit that accused the insurance giant of breaking federal racketeering laws by funneling money into the election campaign of an Illinois Supreme Court justice.

The compromise was announced Tuesday in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois.

Ok. So why did they care so much about getting a specific judge on the Illinois Supreme Court?

The class action lawsuit, Hale v. State Farm, arose from earlier litigation in Avery v. State Farm that challenged the insurance company's authorization to use non-factory vehicle parts on vehicles involved in accidents between 1987 and 1998.

A 1999 $1 billion jury verdict against State Farm in the Avery case was reversed by the Illinois Supreme Court in 2005.

In 2015, a federal judge in the southern Illinois district approved class-action status for a lawsuit by policyholders who alleged that State Farm directed campaign contributions that made their way to the coffers of the committee to elected Justice Lloyd A. Karmeier to the Illinois Supreme Court.

Karmeier, who is now chief justice of the Supreme Court, cast the deciding vote in favor of overturning the appellate court ruling that upheld the billion-dollar Avery verdict, policyholders noted in their lawsuit.

They’re all vampires.
   74. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 05, 2018 at 01:56 PM (#5739018)
Honestly, dude... how do you type these things without choking to death on your own hypocrisy?

The lack of a gag reflex is pretty much necessary to be a Trumpholster.
   75. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 05, 2018 at 01:59 PM (#5739022)
Helluva headline:

Nestle says slavery reporting requirements could cost customers

The reports would have to cover issues related to human trafficking, slavery, sexual servitude and child labour within businesses' operations and supply chains.

Nestle, owner of more than 2000 brands in 189 countries, has told a senate committee that Australia's proposed mandatory reporting requirements could add "cost and time" to businesses and suppliers "which will need to be borne somewhere".

Most ethical system in human history!
   76. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 05, 2018 at 02:03 PM (#5739024)

Trump has said in the past that he would happily testify in front of Mueller, but Dowd repeatedly tried to hold the president back while serving as his personal lawyer. Dowd went so far as to stage a rehearsal in January for Trump’s meeting with Mueller to prove that the president would be a terrible witness. Trump’s practice testimony was full of lies and contradictions, and he eventually became so irate that he launched into a 30-minute rant.

Dowd and Jay Sekulow, another Trump attorney, then visited Mueller’s office in March and re-enacted the rehearsal to explain why they would never allow the president to testify. At one point during the meeting, Dowd said, “He just made something up. That’s his nature.” Dowd also told Mueller, “I’m not going to sit there and let him look like an idiot. And you publish that transcript, because everything leaks in Washington, and the guys overseas are going to say, ‘I told you he was an idiot. I told you he was a ####### dumbbell. What are we dealing with this idiot for?’ ”

Trump, however, apparently believed that he had performed well during the mock interview. Later in March, Dowd flat-out told the president, “Don’t testify. It’s either that or an orange jumpsuit.” When Trump then told Dowd that he’d be “a real good witness,” Dowd replied, “You are not a good witness. … Mr. President, I’m afraid I just can’t help you.” Dowd quit the next day.

Link

My Trumpkin father's bday is at the end of the month, might just have to send him a copy for his present ...
   77. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 05, 2018 at 02:09 PM (#5739025)
I know you have a hard time understanding this, so I will use small and simple words. For Democrats it is OK to disagree, especially about tactics. We are a big tent party, where diversity is valued, and that means a variety of voices and opinions together moving the Democratic Party forward, even if we don't all agree abut something.

Bitter Mouse really needs to talk to CREDO Mobile, Indivisible, Democracy for America, Daily Kos, MoveOn, Demand Justice and the other signers of the Schumer letter, because they quite clearly reject his idea that a pro-Kavanaugh position is acceptable from a Democratic Senator. One might think that Senator Schumer would have already raised Bitter Mouse's tolerant "Big Tent" argument, but Schumer seems uncharacteristically silent so far. Perhaps he'll find his voice now that Bitter Mouse has weighed in on the unreasonableness of the Schumer letter signers.
   78. DavidFoss Posted: September 05, 2018 at 02:12 PM (#5739028)
What's Clapper complaining about anyways? If his nominee gets more than 51 votes, that's a sign that the nominee is not conservative enough. That is, a more conservative nominee could have been confirmed.
   79. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 05, 2018 at 02:13 PM (#5739029)
Trump, however, apparently believed that he had performed well during the mock interview. Later in March, Dowd flat-out told the president, “Don’t testify. It’s either that or an orange jumpsuit.”

That'd be a fitting ending to Trump's presidency, but for something even more cableworthy I'm sure his buddy Arpaio would be glad to comp him one of these.
   80. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 05, 2018 at 02:14 PM (#5739031)
What's Clapper complaining about anyways?

That his party worships at the altar of a clownish dumbass so he has to play obtuse in order to sleep at night.
   81. Count Posted: September 05, 2018 at 02:15 PM (#5739032)
Kavanaugh apparently said his view of executive power changed because of 9/11 which as a guy on twitter pointed out is odd because that’s not rooted in the text, structure, history, original intent, or original public meaning of the Constitution.

The idea that appellate judges simply apply law without regard to practical effects of their decisions isn’t true with regards to the Supreme Court. It’s not that politics alone drives decisions; it’s that in hot button cases judges tend towards the result they want. Obviously conservatives know this, which is why they support conservative hacks for the federal judiciary and go so far as to steal a Supreme Court seat. But then they complain when liberals point to the real world effect of their decisions as if it’s just an unfortunate coincidence that conservative judges will support gutting protections for abortion, attacks on regulations and laws they don’t like, and the agenda of the conservative donor class.

Anyway, may be interesting what comes out of Kavanaugh’s files after he’s confirmed and Republicans stop hiding them. He worked in a truly awful presidency; going to be fun in 10-20 years when people from the Trump administration are being nominated for the judiciary and people pretend like it’s normal.
   82. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 05, 2018 at 02:22 PM (#5739034)
David, I'd still like to know what caused you to switch from a two time Clinton voter to what you are today. Over 41,000 comments and I can't remember that you've ever explained your Whittaker Chambers-style evolution. What's the Rosebud in your past?

It's a sled.

Okay, so now you're a Neither of the Above because from your perspective, both parties are hostile to free trade and civil liberties. Fair enough, but I still can't see your affection for an Attorney General who's more hard line on drugs than you've ever been. The Mueller investigation aside, I wonder how you distinguish Trump from Jeff Sessions on matters of civil liberties.
   83. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 05, 2018 at 02:24 PM (#5739036)
The idea that appellate judges simply apply law without regard to practical effects of their decisions isn’t true with regards to the Supreme Court. It’s not that politics alone drives decisions; it’s that in hot button cases judges tend towards the result they want. Obviously conservatives know this, which is why they support conservative hacks for the federal judiciary and go so far as to steal a Supreme Court seat. But then they complain when liberals point to the real world effect of their decisions as if it’s just an unfortunate coincidence that conservative judges will support gutting protections for abortion, attacks on regulations and laws they don’t like, and the agenda of the conservative donor class.

QFT
   84. BrianBrianson Posted: September 05, 2018 at 02:26 PM (#5739037)

The fraction of people who're slaves is at a minimum since probably the start of the agricultural revolution ~10 000 years ago. It's definitely bad that there are slaves, but blaming "things these days" is wrong, unless "things these days" means "living in settlements and farming".
   85. Tony S Posted: September 05, 2018 at 02:27 PM (#5739038)
Kavanaugh apparently said his view of executive power changed because of 9/11

In other words, he reacted emotionally, not rationally.

Gee, just what we need on the Supreme Court.

But a judge is a judge is a judge, as we're all assured here by certain people.
   86. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 05, 2018 at 02:27 PM (#5739039)
Bitter Mouse really needs to talk to CREDO Mobile, Indivisible, Democracy for America, Daily Kos, MoveOn, Demand Justice and the other signers of the Schumer letter, because they quite clearly reject his idea that a pro-Kavanaugh position is acceptable from a Democratic Senator. One might think that Senator Schumer would have already raised Bitter Mouse's tolerant "Big Tent" argument, but Schumer seems uncharacteristically silent so far. Perhaps he'll find his voice now that Bitter Mouse has weighed in on the unreasonableness of the Schumer letter signers.

<yawn>

Once more - because I guess the words were not simple enough.

Stop using your GOP standards for Democratic organizations and politicians. The two parties are different. For Democrats being a Nazi is bad, and gets you kicked out of the "Real Democrat" Club, having a tactical difference over how best to protest blatant GOP obstruction of the role of the Senate to have enough information to make an informed decision on a SCOTUS nominee doesn't.

We don't demand fealty to leadership, but do demand that you not be a White Supremacist. I realize this is confusing for you, but keep concentrating and you will get there.
   87. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: September 05, 2018 at 02:30 PM (#5739040)

Venezuela, heck, he spelled Rhythm Enhanced Fraternal American correctly. :-)

I feel like there was a missed opportunity to go with Minotaur Scherzer, which would have just been an epic visual.
   88. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 05, 2018 at 02:39 PM (#5739043)
Stop using your GOP standards for Democratic organizations and politicians. The two parties are different. For Democrats being a Nazi is bad, and gets you kicked out of the "Real Democrat" Club, having a tactical difference over how best to protest blatant GOP obstruction of the role of the Senate to have enough information to make an informed decision on a SCOTUS nominee doesn't.

The signers of the Schumer letter apparently disagree here, and even fault Senator Schumer for not already having 49 votes against Kavanaugh. Perhaps Schumer needs to explain - using "small and simple words" - that a Big Tent philosophy is core principle of the Democratic Party? How could all these Democratic activists have gone wrong if even Bitter Mouse knows that their demands are unreasonable? It's a mystery - maybe we should ask Joe Lieberman?
   89. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 05, 2018 at 02:40 PM (#5739046)
Bitter Mouse really needs to talk to CREDO Mobile, Indivisible, Democracy for America, Daily Kos, MoveOn, Demand Justice and the other signers of the Schumer letter,
I don't have a horse in this race, but I'm curious: YC, do the David Dukes and Tea Party types speak for you or set the course of the GOP? If not, why are you insisting that the progressive/extremist elements of the Dems speak for the party, and/or its individual members?
   90. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 05, 2018 at 02:44 PM (#5739047)
In other words, he reacted emotionally, not rationally.

And why do you think this is the least bit persuasive to a political party of Creationism, headed by a man who claims vaccines cause autism?
   91. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 05, 2018 at 02:48 PM (#5739049)
I know you have a hard time understanding this, so I will use small and simple words. For Democrats it is OK to disagree, especially about tactics. We are a big tent party; where diversity is valued, and that means a variety of voices and opinions together moving the Democratic Party forward, even if we don't all agree about something.
What I love about BM is that he insists on reciting his platitudes without even bothering to look at the topic of discussion. Clapper just cited Democrats saying that it wasn't OK to disagree, and in response you just mindlessly repeated your fortune cookie saying that it was.
   92. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 05, 2018 at 02:54 PM (#5739057)

Kavanaugh apparently said his view of executive power changed because of 9/11 which as a guy on twitter pointed out is odd because that’s not rooted in the text, structure, history, original intent, or original public meaning of the Constitution.
Did he "apparently" say that, or did he actually say it?
   93. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 05, 2018 at 02:56 PM (#5739058)
What I love about BM is that he insists on reciting his platitudes without even bothering to look at the topic of discussion. He just cited Democrats saying that it wasn't OK to disagree, and in response you just mindlessly repeated your fortune cookie saying that it was.

Um, no, but nice try. YC is trying to make some huge deal about the tactics used in a losing fight. The claim made by YC is that Chuck is being insufficiently partisan, and that claim is seriously dumb when the topic is ... ONCE MORE for the slow TACTICS.

Yes, I used snark to illustrate real differences between the two parties in how they act and behave, but I would note that the Democratic Party is big and diverse enough to contain Chuck and his detractors and whoever else has these tactical differences of opinion. I think it is healthy to have this sort of discussion and very unhealthy to have the sort of weird fealty to the Great Leader or else one gets exiled to Siberia.
   94. zenbitz Posted: September 05, 2018 at 02:57 PM (#5739060)
Is @70 that moment when YC realizes that DiFi, Shurmer, Pelosi, etc. ARE ALL CENTRISTS?
   95. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: September 05, 2018 at 02:58 PM (#5739062)
Kavanaugh apparently said

Anything he thought would grease the skids for his nomination and get him within striking distance of Roe. Everything else they claim, is a lie. In Clapper's case, literally everything he says is a lie.
   96. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: September 05, 2018 at 03:00 PM (#5739064)
where Kavanaugh is doing just fine.

Well, maybe cancer will sneak up on him soon.
   97. zenbitz Posted: September 05, 2018 at 03:00 PM (#5739065)

Well, it's a low bar.
   98. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 05, 2018 at 03:01 PM (#5739066)
I don't have a horse in this race, but I'm curious: YC, do the David Dukes and Tea Party types speak for you or set the course of the GOP? If not, why are you insisting that the progressive/extremist elements of the Dems speak for the party, and/or its individual members?

David Duke and his supporters have no role in the GOP, and exist on the fringe of the political spectrum, although some folks, particularly here, try to score political points by attempting to tie such fringe types to the entire party. However, conflating Duke and the Tea Party is an unwarranted slur, employing just that tactic. Tea Party types favor smaller government, lower taxes, and less government regulation - views that may be somewhat controversial in some contexts, but that are relatively mainstream and have nothing to do with Duke. The groups that signed the Schumer letter noted in #70 are all welcomed participants in Democratic Party activities. Indeed, much of the energy of the Democratic Party comes from such "progressive" groups. If the Democratic Party were to distance itself from such groups I would note it, but it seems appropriate to note that it doesn't, even when those groups demand lockstep unanimity from all Democratic Senators (apparently without even clearing their demand with Bitter Mouse).
   99. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 05, 2018 at 03:02 PM (#5739067)

See this is the difference ... in the GOP President Trump DOES speak for the entire party for the vast majority of things. Partly because he is President and partly because of the nature of the GOP. What I am pointing out - and he is stubbornly not understanding - is that the Democratic Party doesn't function that way.

There is not a Democratic President (duh) and so there is no one person to fill the role of Leader of the Democratic Party. Plus of course, even when there is a Democratic President, my party is diverse enough that even then there is no real uniformity. Democrats view their leaders words and actions as opportunities to challenge, differ, and discuss.

Sometimes that long standing Democratic Norm is very frustrating and counter productive, ad sometimes it is extremely healthy and productive. In this specific instance it is (IMO) productive, because the end result is not really in doubt, so we might as well have a healthy discussion on the topic.
   100. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: September 05, 2018 at 03:02 PM (#5739068)
David Duke and his supporters have no role in the GOP

You're a lying sack of #### and the world will be better the sooner you leave it.
Page 1 of 15 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
1k5v3L
for his generous support.