Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, November 20, 2017

OTP 20 November 2017: Sheriff’s official suspended 10 days over Cubs World Series sneak-in

A high-ranking official in Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart’s office had to pay a price for allowing others to avoid having to pay the price of admission last year to a Cubs World Series game at Wrigley Field, newly obtained records show.

Mike Anton, a deputy chief with the sheriff’s police who makes about $120,000 a year, was suspended for 10 days for giving security IDs to two people so they could get in to a 2016 Cubs World Series game, the records show.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: November 20, 2017 at 08:01 AM | 1172 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off-topic, politics, world series

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 12 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›
   1. Traderdave Posted: November 20, 2017 at 04:06 PM (#5578942)
First!
   2. TDF didn't lie, he just didn't remember Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:03 PM (#5578984)
A high-ranking official in Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart’s office had to pay a price for allowing others to avoid having to pay the price of admission last year to a Cubs World Series game at Wrigley Field, newly obtained records show.

Mike Anton, a deputy chief with the sheriff’s police who makes about $120,000 a year, was suspended for 10 days for giving security IDs to two people so they could get in to a 2016 Cubs World Series game, the records show.
So, ~$4k for 2 WS tickets? What was the going price?

3. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:08 PM (#5578989)
A Great Migration From Puerto Rico Is Set to Transform Orlando

The scale is larger than any previous movement of Puerto Ricans to the mainland, including the wave that arrived after World War II, said Jorge Duany, the director of the Cuban Research Institute at Florida International University and an expert on Puerto Rican migration. “It’s a stampede.”

More than 168,000 people have flown or sailed out of Puerto Rico to Florida since the hurricane, landing at airports in Orlando, Miami and Tampa, and the port in Fort Lauderdale. Nearly half are arriving in Orlando, where they are tapping their networks of family and friends. An additional 100,000 are booked on flights to Orlando through Dec. 31, county officials said. Large numbers are also settling in the Tampa, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach areas.

With so many arriving so abruptly, the migration is expected to transform Orlando, a city that has already become a stronghold of Puerto Ricans, many of them fleeing the island’s economic crisis in recent years. The Puerto Rican population of Florida has exploded from 479,000 in 2000 to well over one million today, according to the Pew Research Center. The number of Puerto Ricans in Orlando was 210,000 in 2014, according to the Center for Population Studies, and since then the count has risen rapidly as more arrived during the economic crisis.

When I brought this up just after the hurricane I was told I was being silly. Just speculation I was told. Hmmm, OK. I bet a few hundred thousand potential voters from a heavily Democratic demographic forced to move at least partly because of a GOP President's response to a hurricane ... nope that will never influence anything in a swing state.
   4. Srul Itza Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:08 PM (#5578990)
So, anyone remember their first 45? Their first 8 Track Tape?

We actually had some 78 RPM's in the attic growing up.

Not that I remember any of them, although I think my first 45 may have been Hey Jude/Revolution. My brother was more into 8 tracks, for the player in his car.
   5. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:10 PM (#5578996)
Drain the ... wait? what?!? Bush Alums Rise In Trump White House

“The Bush influence has only grown stronger recently, as Trump nominated Alex Azar to lead the Health and Human Services Department, where he served under the Bush administration, and tapped Jerome ‘Jay’ Powell to be chairman of the Federal Reserve. Powell served in the Treasury Department under President George H.W. Bush.”

“The Bush alums in the administration include Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao, who served as Bush’s labor secretary, and Dina Powell, a deputy national security adviser who oversaw White House personnel and later served in Bush’s State Department under Condoleezza Rice. Even the president’s schedule and day-to-day operations are overseen by a former member of Bush’s inner circle: Joe Hagin, who served as deputy White House chief of staff.”
   6. The Yankee Clapper Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:14 PM (#5579003)
Breaking News from the dying thread: Eight women say Charlie Rose sexually harassed them. Walking around naked seems like one of his go-to moves. Earlier today the New York Times suspended White House correspondent Glenn Thrush for somewhat similar behavior, mostly while he was employed at Politico before joining the Times. In late October another Politico alum, NBC News' Mark Halperin, was also suspended after widespread allegations of sexual harassment. Why is the news business such a cesspit of sexism and boorish behavior?

7. PepTech Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:16 PM (#5579006)
I don't remember my first 45, but I do remember that I had one for Animotion - Obsession. Yikes. That had to be near the end of the medium.

I was just a bit young for 8-tracks, but my sister had the best of bread.
   8. Ray (RDP) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:23 PM (#5579011)
I imagine she was driving a $50,000 car. Otherwise I'm not sure you can drive 119 safely. Certainly I wouldn't put my 2007 Toyota Camry over 90 even if I were allowed to.

Regardless, it's one thing to go 85 or even 90 in a 65. Quite another to go 119. It's just reckless.

Ex-Westchester County District Attorney and Fox News personality Jeanine Pirro was busted for driving 119 mph in upstate New York, cops said Monday.

The outspoken ex-prosecutor was stopped along Route 17 in the town of Nichols at 1:15 p.m. Sunday, the state police said. The speed limit where Pirro was stopped is 65 mph.

In a statement released by Fox News, Jeanine Pirro, 66, said: “I had been driving for hours to visit my ailing 89-year-old mom and didn’t realize how fast I was driving.”

“I believe in the rule of law, and I will pay the consequences,” she added.

She was slapped with a ticket and allowed to continue on her way, cops said.
   9. BDC Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:24 PM (#5579012)
anyone remember their first 45?

Probably American Pie.
   10. Hysterical & Useless Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:24 PM (#5579013)
I think my first 45 was I Saw Her Standing There b/w Please Please Me. No idea what my first album was. I have acquired too many record collections in my life. The 45s, last I knew one of my younger brothers had, probably only one or two of which I wouldn't be embarrassed to see again. First album collection which sort of disappeared after I moved out of my mother's house. Second album collection, which we still have, though we haven't had a functioning turntable in about 15 years. Transferred many to tapes, also bought a few pre-recorded tapes and copied other people's CDs onto tapes (we didn't have a player for several years after they'd become common), then of course CDs. Haven't bought one of those in quite a few years now.

Never had any 8-track tapes, though when I first met my wife the tuner she had would play them.
   11. Hysterical & Useless Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:27 PM (#5579015)
The outspoken ex-prosecutor was stopped along Route 17 in the town of Nichols at 1:15 p.m. Sunday, the state police said. The speed limit where Pirro was stopped is 65 mph.

I had thought that the only places in NY State with a 65 mph limit were on the Interstate. I've certainly never seen anything above 55 elsewhere.
   12. Traderdave Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:27 PM (#5579016)
First album I played was Sticky Fingers. It was oldest brother's and I thought it was cool looking with the zipper. He came home from school and slapped me around a little for messing with his records. More than 40 years later I can still remember how entranced I was by it. It's still a favorite.

First album I paid for with my own money was Rust Never Sleeps. I think.

13. Ray (RDP) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:29 PM (#5579017)
California Democratic Congresswoman Jackie Speier said on CBS's 'Face The Nation' this Sunday that Bill Clinton's accusers from the 1990s "should have been believed."

Link
   14. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:33 PM (#5579020)
Ex-Westchester County District Attorney and Fox News personality Jeanine Pirro was busted for driving 119 mph in upstate New York, cops said Monday.

In a statement released by Fox News, Jeanine Pirro, 66, said: “I had been driving for hours to visit my ailing 89-year-old mom and didn’t realize how fast I was driving.”

“I believe in the rule of law, and I will pay the consequences,” she added.

She was slapped with a ticket and allowed to continue on her way, cops said.

According to the NY DMV, the points assigned for going 41+ over is 11. 11 points gets you a suspended license. I suppose she wasn't convicted yet, so they couldn't apply the penalty right there, but it seems odd they would merely write a ticket and send her on her way.
   15. Ray (RDP) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:33 PM (#5579021)
Byron York:

FBI and Justice Department officials have told congressional investigators in recent days that they have not been able to verify or corroborate the substantive allegations of collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign outlined in the Trump dossier.

The FBI received the first installment of the dossier in July 2016. It received later installments as they were written at the height of the presidential campaign, which means the bureau has had more than a year to investigate the allegations in the document. The dossier was financed by the Hillary Clinton campaign and compiled by former British spy Christopher Steele.

An August 24, 2017 subpoena from the House Intelligence Committee to the FBI and Justice Department asked for information on the bureau's efforts to validate the dossier. Specifically, the subpoena demanded "any documents, if they exist, that memorialize DOJ and/or FBI efforts to corroborate, validate, or evaluate information provided by Mr. Steele and/or sub-sources and/or contained in the 'Trump Dossier.'"

According to sources familiar with the matter, neither the FBI nor the Justice Department has provided documents in response to that part of the committee's subpoena. But in face-to-face briefings with congressional staff, according to those sources, FBI and DOJ officials have said they cannot verify the dossier's charges of a conspiracy between the Russian government and the Trump campaign.

16. Hot Wheeling American Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:38 PM (#5579023)
Why is the news business such a cesspit of sexism and boorish behavior?

Those who aren't using the recent bursting of the harassment dam for partisan gain might be seeing and acknowledging that most many businesses are cesspits of sexism and boorish behavior.
   17. 6 - 4 - 3 Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:40 PM (#5579025)
The comparison between Carter and Clinton is interesting.

Carter was generally regarded (by both sides of the aisle) as a pretty mediocre president when he left office, but over the past decade has emerged as a respected elder statesman.

Clinton was regarded by Democrats and most moderates as a highly successful president when he left office, but has sullied his reputation with his post-White House behavior. And he's lost the respect of both Democrats and moderates who once supported him, while intensifying the vitriol from many GOP that always existed. It doesn't help that HRC's two failed runs for office has kept him in the political arena (whereas most former presidents gracefully exit), but Bill's own behavior has been continuously damaging in its own right.

Carter (and Ford, before he died) were really models for former presidents should act. For that matter, even Nixon had a relatively post-presidency all things considered, as he focused on lecturing and writing about foreign policy as well as some pretty introspective memoirs.

The biggest difference between Carter and Clinton is that Carter never tried to use his position as a former president for personal enrichment, whereas that is all that the Clintons have done since 2000 (in addition to pursuing HRC, presumably to acquire even more personal wealth). Or at least that's the perception, certainly widely held by the right and increasingly by the left.
   18. Ray (RDP) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:41 PM (#5579026)
According to the NY DMV, the points assigned for going 41+ over is 11. 11 points gets you a suspended license. I suppose she wasn't convicted yet, so they couldn't apply the penalty right there, but it seems odd they would merely write a ticket and send her on her way.

I think they would indeed write her (or anyone) a ticket and send her on her way. I have 7 points from such chickenshit violations as rolling through a stop sign, and if I get to 11 I'd have to have a hearing in order to keep my license from being suspended. I need to make it through December for some of the points to wash away. (I think it's 11 points in an 18-month period.)

--

4 points were for going with the pace of traffic through one of the Central Park traverses at 11pm. They had set up a speed trap and were just pulling every Xth car over, as fast as they could process them. Which is BS because nobody is trying to make up time going through the traverse. I got pulled over (40 in a 25) and then given a warning and sent on my way. But I got a ticket in the mail anyway. Rather than waste time fighting it -- since the jackass cop actually gave me a warning and I had a passenger in the car who would sign an affidavit to verify it -- I paid the $200 fine. Then for my troubles I got a $375 fine because now that put me at 7 points. They're such ########.

And rolling through a stop sign at 2 mph is the most asinine ticket ever. They should be trying to keep the traffic moving, not always having everyone come to full stops for no reason.

Going with the speed of traffic and rolling through a stop sign makes them threaten suspension and treat me as if I'm a drunk driver or something. It's really such nonsense.

This is how they extract hundreds more dollars a year from taxpayers. All after-tax dollars.
   19. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:43 PM (#5579027)
Virtually positive my first 45 was TSOP (*) by MSFB (**). Samples of it were part of the weekly soundtrack on Soul Train, as well as the NBA on CBS from roughly 1973-75.

(*) Which stood for "The Sound of Philadelphia."

(**) I'm thinking "Mother Father Sister Brother," but too lazy to Google.
   20. Greg K Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:43 PM (#5579028)
The first LP I ever bought was Neil Diamond's Taproot Manuscript, Boney M's Nightflight to Venus and some UB-40 record that was pretty badly damaged and didn't play, so I don't recall which one it was. Good haul at the flea market!
   21. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:45 PM (#5579031)
And another five for reckless driving, I would think.

I've had my wife's 2006 Camry over 90 before, but it's scary. And exhausting since you basically have to hold the gas pedal down for a full minute. I'm too lazy to drive that fast in a car with a 2.2 liter engine.
   22. PepTech Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:45 PM (#5579032)
Ray, I'm curious as to what your point is. There's the dossier, there's "collusion", and there's criminal activity. Those are three different things. The dossier (which, has been established ad nauseum, ad infinitum) is a compilation of oppo research that has, what a couple dozen items in it.

Of those couple dozen items, maybe four or five have any actual meat on them with respect to "collusion" (no one cares about golden showers at this point). Those items have been completely overshadowed by the ongoing, documented series of lies and backtracks from Sessions, Manafort, Trump, Kushner, Page, Papadopoulos, Flynn, etc., etc, some of which are clearly criminal in nature, and none of which "depend" on the dossier as their sole source.

Who gives a rats' hind end about the dossier any more? Yeah, yeah, Clinton is an unethical hypocrite. Stipulated. She's also irrelevant to any sane human. Why do you keep posting about the dossier like it proves anything new, or vindicates something? Is it your contention that Mueller will be introducing the dossier as primary evidence in something? If the emperor has no clothes, does it really matter if the kid that pointed it out is a jaywalker?

ETA: Not to mention that it's not just that the Emperor has no clothes, he's also done forty-leven other weird things that the dossier has nothing to with, and continuing to discredit the dossier doesn't hand-wave them away.
   23. Greg K Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:45 PM (#5579033)
The only single I've ever bought was Prodigy's Smack My ##### Up. I don't recall much about it, although Tom Morello was on one of the B-sides.
   24. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:48 PM (#5579034)

Right, because it's impossible to tell 119 MPH from 70 or 80.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Byron York:

FBI and Justice Department officials have told congressional investigators in recent days that they have not been able to verify or corroborate the substantive allegations of collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign outlined in the Trump dossier....

If you're going to post Washington Examiner op-eds, Ray, at least you should give JE credit for posting the same one just a few hours ago. Not to mention that the Examiner, The Weekly Standard and National Review are kind of JE's exclusive territory around here, and you shouldn't be muscling in.
   25. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:50 PM (#5579036)
FBI and Justice Department officials have told congressional investigators in recent days that they have not been able to verify or corroborate the substantive allegations of collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign outlined in the Trump dossier.

The FISA warrants are still very much an open question. They probably just used raw dossier information, it's now pretty clear.
   26. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:51 PM (#5579037)
And rolling through a stop sign at 2 mph is the most asinine ticket ever. They should be trying to keep the traffic moving, not always having everyone come to full stops for no reason.

Contrary to popular belief, there are actually 2 roads from Key Targo to the mainland. There is US1, the one everyone knows, and there is county road 905, which goes a further 10 or so miles north after US1 splits of into the everglades, towards a posh gated community called Ocean Reef Club at the tip of Key Largo, and then heads into the everglades to the mainland. Where 905 turns towards the mainland, there is a 3 way stop. Ocean Reef is a coupleof miles north of that point.

About 10 years ago, US1 was closed due to a fire in the everglades, and everyone was directed to 905. Traffic was at a near standstill, and it took 2 hours to go the 10 miles to the 3 way stop. Because there was a cop there, not directing traffic, but simply monitoring the situation. Thus, since everyone was afraid of getting ticked for a rolling stop, everyone took extra long pauses after stopping, virtually shutting down the traffic flow.

That said, going 54 MPH over the limit most certainly doesn't fall into the "11 points for chickenshit violations." When someone fails a breathalizer, one has not been convicted of anything at that point, and yet one is not merely ticketed and allowed to go on their way. It may be from a lawyer's perspective that it to think anything other than getting a ticket and sent on their way would be odd, but from a layman's POV, there is some logic. There are lots of things one can do which would cause them to lose some liberty prior to conviction. Was Jason Werth ticketed and sent on his way for doing 105 in a 55?

edit: IIRC, Werth was arrested.
   27. PepTech Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:53 PM (#5579038)
The FISA warrants are still very much an open question. They probably just used raw dossier information, it's now pretty clear.
These were the FISA warrants that were originally initiated in 2014 (Page) and early 2016 (Manafort), right? From the dossier established as originating in mid-2016.

Trump whined about wiretapping before there ever was a dossier.
   28. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:55 PM (#5579039)
If you're going to post Washington Examiner op-eds, Ray, at least you should give JE credit for posting the same one just a few hours ago. Not to mention that the Examiner, The Weekly Standard and National Review are kind of JE's exclusive territory around here, and you shouldn't be muscling in.

Don't forget /pol. Say what you want about Juan, he's got the temperament for that place. If our Little Lord Fauntleray stumbled down that thronging hive of weaponized retardation he'd drill a hole straight through his well-worn fainting couch.
   29. Ray (RDP) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:55 PM (#5579041)
Trump whined about wiretapping before there ever was a dossier.

Fake news.
   30. The Yankee Clapper Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:56 PM (#5579043)
Carter was generally regarded (by both sides of the aisle) as a pretty mediocre president when he left office, but over the past decade has emerged as a respected elder statesman.

Carter may now be regarded as a guy who would make a fine neighbor, but hardly an elder statesman. Neither Clinton nor Obama had any use for his foreign policy pronouncements, and Republicans haven't changed their opinion of him since 1980. Bitter Mouse is still a fan, IIRC.
   31. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:56 PM (#5579044)
Carter (and Ford, before he died) were really models for former presidents should act.

Only in the sense that neither of them acted in any way that was overtly embarrassing, but in terms of raking in the bucks for personal appearances, Gerald Ford was just an earlier version of the presidents who came after him---with the sole exception of Carter. Prior to Ford, former presidents made their money almost exclusively on royalties for their memoirs, not for giving million dollar speeches.
   32. 6 - 4 - 3 Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:57 PM (#5579045)
I've gone a little over 100 mph a few times in my life (I-80 in Nevada desert, where its flat, dry, and you can see for miles). I couldn't imagine going 119.

Hitting 80 or even 90 by accident in a 70 mph can happen with minimal traffic. But 119?

That's just unsafe and she deserves to have the book thrown at her.
   33. Swoboda is freedom Posted: November 20, 2017 at 06:02 PM (#5579047)
I've gone a little over 100 mph a few times in my life (I-80 in Nevada desert, where its flat, dry, and you can see for miles). I couldn't imagine going 119.

Never that fast in the US. Maybe 100 one time. I did do that fast on the Autobahn. And got passed like I was standing still.

That is pretty fast.
   34. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: November 20, 2017 at 06:03 PM (#5579048)
About 10 years ago, US1 was closed due to a fire in the everglades, and everyone was directed to 905. Traffic was at a near standstill, and it took 2 hours to go the 10 miles to the 3 way stop. Because there was a cop there, not directing traffic, but simply monitoring the situation. Thus, since everyone was afraid of getting ticked for a rolling stop, everyone took extra long pauses after stopping, virtually shutting down the traffic flow.
This kind of reminds me ...

So there I was, a junior in college, and my family was visiting in Colorado for labor day weekend. My gf and I were following them in my car, on a scenic mountain road somewhere out past woodland park; for some reason it was bumper to bumper traffic for a mile or so despite it being the middle of nowhere.

We found out the hard way that the reason traffic was slow was that a group of cops were working a speed trap, and pulling folks over pretty much at random (I'm assuming there was a bias towards out of state plates) on the 2-lane road. Everyone else was slowing down to 25 or so to rubberneck, so it was impossible to actually be speeding, but I still got a pretty expensive ticket for "going 68 in a 55". I was maybe going half that. It wasn't worth my time to try to fight it so I just paid the ticket.

#### that makes you lose your faith in Government.
   35. TDF didn't lie, he just didn't remember Posted: November 20, 2017 at 06:06 PM (#5579051)

Clinton was regarded by Democrats and most moderates as a highly successful president when he left office, but has sullied his reputation with his post-White House behavior. And he's lost the respect of both Democrats and moderates who once supported him, while intensifying the vitriol from many GOP that always existed.
I don't get this at all.

Carter* was the 1st modern president to denigrate one of his successors, and has continued to do it to all 4 R presidents who came after him.

Cliton has, other than campaigning with his wife (which you can't realistically ding him for), stayed mostly above the fray. The Clinton Foundation has done lots of good work and is highly rated, and it's not his fault people are willing to pay him huge sums of money to speak. And I've not heard of anyone abandon him politically.

*To be clear, I've always thought Carter was the most personally honorable person to be POTUS in my lifetime (I was born in '62). I just think he's gone off the tracks politically.
   36. TDF didn't lie, he just didn't remember Posted: November 20, 2017 at 06:14 PM (#5579054)

Right, because it's impossible to tell 119 MPH from 70 or 80.
I'm calling bullsh!t on her explanation.

In case people here don't know, tires are graded by their maximum safe speed. Because of that, the vast majority of vehicles have electronic speed limiters that keep a vehicle from going some over some speed less than the rating of the tires the manufacturer puts on the car. Traditionally, run-of-the-mill most-people-can-afford-them cars are limited to 109 MPH.

It's very possible she was driving a car that could handle higher speeds, but "119 MPH" says to me she was hitting the speed limiter.
   37. Lassus Posted: November 20, 2017 at 06:16 PM (#5579055)
WHOOPS: Previous thread:

Reminds me of the SNL skit of the Clarence Thomas hearings.
IIRC, Al Franken played Sen Paul Simon in that one did he not?
Yes he did.

He may have been in this one, which I don't remember, but I very specifically remember him being Paul Simon for the Democratic debate skit. We were quoting "So that's why I wear.... the bow tie" for possibly an entire decade afterward. I actually heckled someone to great effect at a model Congress with the second half of that line when they lost their place, repeating "And that's why.... and.. that's why..." A classic.
   38. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 06:22 PM (#5579060)

The fastest I've ever gone was around 125 on the Black Rock Desert, which has been used for land-speed tests.

Doesn't get much more straight and flat than that (though not always so dry, as I found out a few days later) ...

At about 90 mph, the dust that was streaming out behind the wheels started coming up through the floorboards and vents and I had to roll the windows down just to let it out and see.

If that Acura is still on the road, it still has some of that playa dust in nooks and crannies.
   39. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: November 20, 2017 at 06:23 PM (#5579061)
The shift on Bill Clinton isn’t related to what he has done Post-presidency, but rather a re-evaluation of what he did during and before his presidency. If what was known about Clinton with respect to Paula Jones back in 1992 came out about a candidate for the 2020 Dem primary, they’d be instant toast. What Broaddrick said back in 1998 is now taken a lot more seriously than it was back then. The change in opinion on Bill Clinton is the result of people no longer accepting what was deemed acceptable 20-30 years ago.
   40. madvillain Posted: November 20, 2017 at 06:23 PM (#5579062)
Cliton has, other than campaigning with his wife (which you can't realistically ding him for), stayed mostly above the fray. The Clinton Foundation has done lots of good work and is highly rated, and it's not his fault people are willing to pay him huge sums of money to speak. And I've not heard of anyone abandon him politically.

Clinton's rep has been "sullied" because Democrats realized (and frankly I realized this years before most of them; I've been on this horse for a decade or more) that "triangulation" and "welfare reform" and "free trade" ceded mass swaths of political ground to the GOP and set us up for Dubya and Trump and a centrist (if nothing else) Obama.

Clinton was one of the best GOP presidents. He was not a progressive by any stretch and neo-liberalism has been a disaster.

The shift on Bill Clinton isn’t related to what he has done Post-presidency, but rather a re-evaluation of what he did during and before his presidency. If what was known about Clinton with respect to Paula Jones back in 1992 came out about a candidate for the 2020 Dem primary, they’d be instant toast. What Broaddrick said back in 1998 is now taken a lot more seriously than it was back then. The change in opinion on Bill Clinton is the result of people no longer accepting what was deemed acceptable 20-30 years ago.

Had nothing to do with that until this month.
   41. BDC Posted: November 20, 2017 at 06:23 PM (#5579063)
Carter* was the 1st modern president to denigrate one of his successors

Depends on how you define "modern" and "denigrate," I guess. If true, is this perhaps just an effect of modern media culture? Harry Truman flayed Eisenhower and Nixon alive in Plain Speaking, for instance. That material was collected by Merle Miller in the early '60s (before Nixon's presidency but after Eisenhower's) and not published till after Truman's death, but it was all on the record. By the mid-'70s when the book came out, times had changed. Hence today we see the Bushes routinely quoted as denigrating Trump, and either engineering the quotes or not bothering to deny them.

I don't know if Teddy Roosevelt ever said a bad thing about Taft personally, but actively running against him in 1912 was the moral equivalent of denigration. The gentlemanly Ivy-League Presidents of the modern era (Wilson, FDR, JFK) tended not to have successors to denigrate, etc.
   42. PreservedFish Posted: November 20, 2017 at 06:31 PM (#5579067)
I've been up in the 110-115 range, also in the Nevada desert, on Route 50, which is a fairly safe place to do it.

(In light of #36, I'm wondering if I've exaggerated how fast I got).
   43. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: November 20, 2017 at 06:42 PM (#5579070)
Had nothing to do with that until this month.

I thought this discussion was prompted by the sudden surge of editorials and high profile figures saying that Clinton should have resigned in 1998. If you're talking about how Clinton's legacy was attacked by the left in the 2016 primary (who then went on their BernieOrBust tantrums and didn't vote in the general election), I feel like that was mostly by people who were too young to vote back when Bill Clinton was president.
   44. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: November 20, 2017 at 06:50 PM (#5579074)

100 was pretty much my cruising speed for a long time, before I moved to the UK. Done about 130 when it was empty and good conditions.

Autobahn though.
   45. cercopithecus aethiops Posted: November 20, 2017 at 06:52 PM (#5579075)
Why is the news business such a cesspit of sexism and boorish behavior?

Because men are pigs.

Clinton was one of the best GOP presidents.

And Hillary would have been another. Except, you know, judges.
   46. dog poop god Posted: November 20, 2017 at 06:54 PM (#5579076)
So, anyone remember their first 45? Their first 8 Track Tape?

Could have been Dickie Goodman's Mr. Jaws, since '75. Had a small collection of Top 40 45s before i got into LPs. Lots of funk, r&b, and disco, as I was a devoted fan of Soul Train. Rembember I Wanna Do Something Freaky to You, Low Rider, Love Rollercoaster.

Parents had a few 8 track like Isaac Hayes amd Kris Kristofferson. Ever see The Sailor Who Fell From Grace with the Sea? Shortly after I remember finding my dad's one copy of Playboy with the Jimmy Carter interview. Featuring Misty Rowe, Patty McGuire, and the year's Women in Film.

Prob warped my fragile little mind.
   47. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 06:59 PM (#5579077)
(In light of #36, I'm wondering if I've exaggerated how fast I got).

Probably not.

#36 is a bit kooky.

When I hit 125ish, it was in a run-of-the-mill 1995 Integra LS. I ran into the limiter (though not the rev limiter), the car could have gone faster.

Not that I'd want to do anything but drive in a straight line in the middle of a desolate desert in that car at that speed, mind you, but the tires handled it just fine ...

48. dog poop god Posted: November 20, 2017 at 07:09 PM (#5579080)
#### that makes you lose your faith in Government.

I am of a honestly fatalistic bent as befits a person whose first news memories were of Vietnam and Watergate.
   49. madvillain Posted: November 20, 2017 at 07:13 PM (#5579081)
Not that I'd want to do anything but drive in a straight line in the middle of a desolate desert in that car at that speed, mind you, but the tires handled it just fine ...

I'm sure Piro was driving a sports sedan, maybe a 5 series BMW. I got up to 110 in a 2003 530i one time on a stretch of backroad in N. MI back about seven years ago. The car was behaving beautifully at that speed and it felt like the engine had another 20-30 mph in it no problem. Of course, going that fast you have zero margin for error (like for a deer) and even in my mid 20s I didn't have much stomach for that chance, especially as it was my sister's ride.
   50. dog poop god Posted: November 20, 2017 at 07:13 PM (#5579082)
I've hit 100 on a two-lane road back when the reflexes were sharper and I didn't give a ####. First ticket was 77 in a 45.

Generally I try to avoid speeding tickets.
   51. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 20, 2017 at 07:14 PM (#5579083)
When I brought this up just after the hurricane I was told I was being silly. Just speculation I was told. Hmmm, OK. I bet a few hundred thousand potential voters from a heavily Democratic demographic forced to move at least partly because of a GOP President's response to a hurricane ... nope that will never influence anything in a swing state.

Trump won FL by a little over 100,000 votes. How many PRs are needed to overcome that deficeit? If they vote 75-25 D and have a 50% participation rate, it would take ~400,000.
   52. Hysterical & Useless Posted: November 20, 2017 at 07:19 PM (#5579085)
Clinton was one of the best GOP presidents.

Hey, that's my line, been saying it for years. Best Republican pres since T Roosevelt. That's why the GOP hated him so much.
   53. dog poop god Posted: November 20, 2017 at 07:22 PM (#5579086)
   54. Greg K Posted: November 20, 2017 at 07:23 PM (#5579087)
Generally I try to avoid speeding tickets.

The only sure way to avoid them is to not know how to drive.

On a related note, I also don't have any STDs!
   55. TDF didn't lie, he just didn't remember Posted: November 20, 2017 at 07:24 PM (#5579088)

#36 is a bit kooky.
Um, no it isn't. I've driven actual cars in actual controlled conditions. I've talked to auto manufacturers. If you read the specs from this review, you'll see it's true.
   56. cercopithecus aethiops Posted: November 20, 2017 at 07:26 PM (#5579089)
   57. GregD Posted: November 20, 2017 at 07:31 PM (#5579091)
I don't know if Teddy Roosevelt ever said a bad thing about Taft personally,

Depends how much love you feel in "fat-head". I have seen the "no more backbone than a chocolate eclair" allegedly directed by TR either at McKinley or Taft but don't know if one is more verifiable than the other

58. Srul Itza Posted: November 20, 2017 at 07:32 PM (#5579092)
She's also irrelevant to any sane human.

Well, that would doubly disqualify Raybot.
   59. Lassus Posted: November 20, 2017 at 07:34 PM (#5579093)
Ralph Shortey, a former Oklahoma state senator and county campaign coordinator for President Donald Trump’s campaign last year, will plead guilty to a child sex trafficking charge after being accused of soliciting sex from a 17-year-old boy in March.

re: #56, I'd already seen this story but have been confused how "trafficking" enters into it.

60. BDC Posted: November 20, 2017 at 07:38 PM (#5579095)
Depends how much love you feel in "fat-head". I have seen the "no more backbone than a chocolate eclair" allegedly directed by TR either at McKinley or Taft but don't know if one is more verifiable than the other

:-D Well, maybe Roosevelt wasn't "modern."
   61. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 07:39 PM (#5579097)
If you read the specs from this review, you'll see it's true.

Well, I read it and I still have no idea what you're talking about.

I mean, I saw this in the specs sidebar:

Top speed (governor limited): 126 mph

But that doesn't look like 109 to me ...
   62. Lassus Posted: November 20, 2017 at 07:39 PM (#5579098)
Wife of Raiders coach fires back at President Trump after Marshawn Lynch tweet
At least one member of the Oakland Raiders organization isn’t happy with President Donald Trump.

Linda Del Rio, wife of head coach Jack Del Rio, tweeted on Monday that she voted for Trump last November, a ballot she now regrets casting. The tweet came hours after the president called for the suspension of Marshawn Lynch, who sat for the U.S. national anthem and stood during the Mexican national anthem before the team’s loss to the New England Patriots in Mexico City on Sunday.

“President Trump I voted for you, which I now regret,” Del Rio wrote.
Fuck you, you dumb bitch.
   63. cercopithecus aethiops Posted: November 20, 2017 at 07:43 PM (#5579100)
confused how "trafficking" enters into it

I'm guessing those "Family Values" Republicans in Oklahoma just rewrote the sex with minors statute to make it sound like they were getting tough on something. But I'm sure the BBTF Bar Association will be happy to explain it to us.
   64. dog poop god Posted: November 20, 2017 at 07:43 PM (#5579101)
Methinks this boy may have been the son of a vip. Or maybe tbe state senator was caught in a sting. Something doesn't add up.

Not a good look.
   65. dog poop god Posted: November 20, 2017 at 07:47 PM (#5579103)

The only sure way to avoid them is to not know how to drive.

Paying attention and knowing your speed traps help. Still got nailed the Mon morn after DST went into effect this spring.

Four tickets in 35 years.
   66. TDF didn't lie, he just didn't remember Posted: November 20, 2017 at 07:49 PM (#5579105)

Top speed (governor limited): 126 mph

But that doesn't look like 109 to me ...
Well, that's not what I said in #36:
Traditionally, run-of-the-mill most-people-can-afford-them cars are limited to 109 MPH.
Not all cars are limited to 109; most are limited to something, based on the tires the manufacturer recommends.
   67. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 20, 2017 at 07:51 PM (#5579106)
after DST went into effect this spring.

In this thread we have had TDS, STD, and DST. Anagram city.
   68. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: November 20, 2017 at 07:56 PM (#5579108)
These were the FISA warrants that were originally initiated in 2014 (Page) and early 2016 (Manafort), right? From the dossier established as originating in mid-2016.

You're still embarrassing yourself by asking this question and I'm not sure why you keep doing it exactly other than to troll. As has been widely reported, FISA warrants were obtained against Carter Page in 2016 based on the dossier.

So, no -- not "right."
   69. Greg K Posted: November 20, 2017 at 07:58 PM (#5579110)

Paying attention and knowing your speed traps help. Still got nailed the Mon morn after DST went into effect this spring.

Then what you need to do is stop driving cars, and move to Saskatchewan where we don't do the DST game. Only way to be sure.
   70. dog poop god Posted: November 20, 2017 at 08:08 PM (#5579112)
Isn't that prairie where you can see oncoming vehicles for miles?

I drive professionally. And on a Canadian note, Crash is one of my favorite movies.
   71. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 08:08 PM (#5579113)
Not all cars are limited to 109; most are limited to something, based on the tires the manufacturer recommends.

Nice goalpost move ... maybe you should have linked to a review of a car limited to "109 mph" after making a big deal about "the tires" at that speed.

Traditionally, run-of-the-mill most-people-can-afford-them cars are limited to 109 MPH.

Just about every car is rev/speed limited at some point, but it's about the *engine*, not the tires.

I've owned 5 cars in my life, all of them "run-of-the-mill most-people-can-afford-them" cars ... 79 Civic*, 95 Integra, 96 Civic, 98 Accord, 2003 Jetta ... with the exception of the first, every single one of them could go faster than 109 and the limit wasn't determined by standard-issue tires ...

*Oh my, Jumpin' General E Li ... I loved you, but you really were a POC ...

[edit] Also, I forgot that Nissan truck I bought for $500 and drove for about a year before the 2nd Civic ... it probably couldn't break 109, either ...
   72. dog poop god Posted: November 20, 2017 at 08:10 PM (#5579114)

Too bad Trump's middle name isn't Steven.
   73. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: November 20, 2017 at 08:11 PM (#5579115)

Speak for yourself. None of this "we" business. You might have an STD, I don't.
   74. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 20, 2017 at 08:14 PM (#5579117)
Too bad Trump's middle name isn't Steven.

Well, we've already used DST. However, we haven't used Donald Trump Sr.
   75. Omineca Greg Posted: November 20, 2017 at 08:16 PM (#5579118)

Yes. Yes it is.(scroll down)
   76. zenbitz Posted: November 20, 2017 at 08:19 PM (#5579119)
Pretty sure my 82 Benz 240D isn't limited (no electronics). Of course it would have to go off a cliff to break 90...
   77. dog poop god Posted: November 20, 2017 at 08:20 PM (#5579121)
forced to move at least partly because of a GOP President's response to a hurricane

I would think anyone smart with opportunity and means would move, as many obviously did during both DP and GOP administrations, despite local governance being so kind-hearted.

Just wait 'til Trump starts a Star Wars type program to control the weather.
   78. greenback wears sandals on his head Posted: November 20, 2017 at 08:23 PM (#5579122)
Trump won FL by a little over 100,000 votes. How many PRs are needed to overcome that deficeit? If they vote 75-25 D and have a 50% participation rate, it would take ~400,000.

Well, mortality rates generally are higher for Trump voters -- older, less educated -- than others. So you don't need to get to 100,000.
   79. dog poop god Posted: November 20, 2017 at 08:24 PM (#5579123)

Crossing Oklahoma and the Texas panhandle, I remember it being so flat the eye tends to concave the horizon just because.
   80. dog poop god Posted: November 20, 2017 at 08:31 PM (#5579126)
   81. dog poop god Posted: November 20, 2017 at 08:34 PM (#5579127)
We'll always have STD, but DTS could easily be done away with. My brain hates the time switch.
   82. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: November 20, 2017 at 08:34 PM (#5579128)

Yet another worthwhile Canadian initiative!
   83. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: November 20, 2017 at 08:53 PM (#5579133)
I've driven a bit over 150, on a closed course in a modified Ford Mustang. (I have relatives in Iowa who are into amateur stock car racing.) Even under relatively safe conditions it was terrifying, and once I got up to that speed my main thoughts were of not dying. The car seemed to sort of float a bit. Not a fun experience.
   84. Omineca Greg Posted: November 20, 2017 at 08:59 PM (#5579134)
Saskatchewan in March is not good scenery wise.

In Winter, the big sky can be breathtaking.

In Summer, the canola, and the wheat with the sometimes stormy skies can be intriguing.

The Autumn can be alright too.

But not March. Or April.
   85. . . . . . . . . . . Posted: November 20, 2017 at 09:10 PM (#5579138)
I've owned nothing but German sedans since 2002 and if you don't use cruise control, on an empty divided highway (which that section of Route 17 is), especially at night, it's easy to go over 100. The cars are just tuned differently, if anything the steering feels surer at that speed. I wonder if they're not using some aerodynamics to generate downforce at speed, since they know their cars will see those speeds in ordinary use in Germany.

I have also driven a late model Accord V6 to around 100 and it was shaking like it had Parkinsons.
   86. dog poop god Posted: November 20, 2017 at 09:11 PM (#5579139)
“It has taken 10 years and a fierce moment of cultural reckoning for me to understand these moments for what they were,” she told The Post. “He was a sexual predator, and I was his victim.”

Rose often acted like a creep, and it's sexual harrassment that should have legal remedy. This stuff sbould be weeded out of any professional environment.

But when you start labeling the Roses of the world sexual predators, you are conflating awkward sexual advances with sexual assault. Rtfa, he worked with all of these women who went along with it to advance prestigous careers.

Not to sound like Morrissey, but you can't stop these things without taking some personal reponsibility and agency to do so. If you go along, you end up an accomplice in his actions towards others down the line.

The power structure of the competitive work environment feeds the dynamic for sure. People are willing to take a lot of #### to get ahead.
   87. dog poop god Posted: November 20, 2017 at 09:13 PM (#5579140)
Don't think I've taken my MB over 90. It's a bit too creaky now to try. Its owner, too.
   88. madvillain Posted: November 20, 2017 at 09:48 PM (#5579155)
I'm only about 1/3 of the way through but this is the best long form political science journalism I've read in a long time. Better than anything the New Yorker or the NYROB has done lately. And the Atlantic is consistently below the quality of those two imo. Don't really read Harpers anymore I guess.
   89. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: November 20, 2017 at 09:56 PM (#5579166)
Allstate gives you this plug-in that goes somewhere under the dash that transmits info back to them. They give money back on your premiums if you keep it under 80, so I do.

CoB, slow the #### down. Your 96 civic should never have seen 90 mph.
   90. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: November 20, 2017 at 10:17 PM (#5579176)
From that Atlantic article that madvillain posted in #89 above, there's a perfect example of Donald Trump's highly selective world class memory:
A few days after Duke’s strong [43%] showing in [the 1990] Louisiana [Senate race], the Queens-born businessman Donald Trump appeared on CNN’s Larry King Live.

“It's anger. I mean, that's an anger vote. People are angry about what's happened. People are angry about the jobs. If you look at Louisiana, they're really in deep trouble,” Trump told King.

Trump later predicted that Duke, if he ran for president, would siphon most of his votes away from incumbent President George H. W. Bush—in the process revealing his own understanding of the effectiveness of white-nationalist appeals to the GOP base.

“Whether that be good or bad, David Duke is going to get a lot of votes. Pat Buchanan—who really has many of the same theories, except it's in a better package—Pat Buchanan is going to take a lot of votes away from George Bush,” Trump said. “So if you have these two guys running, or even one of them running, I think George Bush could be in big trouble.” Little more than a year later, Buchanan embarrassed Bush by drawing 37 percent of the vote in New Hampshire’s Republican primary.

In February 2016, Trump was asked by a different CNN host about the former Klan leader’s endorsement of his Republican presidential bid.

“Well, just so you understand, I don’t know anything about David Duke. Okay?,” Trump said. “I don’t know anything about what you’re even talking about with white supremacy or white supremacists. So, I don’t know.”

Maybe we should just call it his Uncle Leo defense.
   91. PreservedFish Posted: November 20, 2017 at 10:32 PM (#5579183)
Andy, I'm not seeing the gotcha. Trump understands now that white people are angry about ####. It appears that he also understood in the early 90s that white people were angry about ####. That doesn't mean that he has a non-superficial understanding of the white supremacy movement.
   92. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 10:36 PM (#5579184)
I've been on trial all day, but I can't quite believe that people let this one pass, from last week's thread:
I'm curious how much of this is just virtue signaling (hurr, hurr, look how dumb Trump is! amirite or what?) and how much you actually believe it. Because if Trump was half as stupid as you seem to think he is, don't you think he would have long since been parted from his money by smarter, more capable businessmen (or just outright con men)? It's not like he's some kindly, universally beloved figure that nobody could bear to take advantage of...
Uh, he was long since parted from his money by smarter, more capable businessmen. Four times.
   93. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 10:37 PM (#5579185)
It is 10xs less nerve racking to take an Audi A6 to 100 vs any of my previous 3 cars. Still relatively quiet, smooth. I don't do it for very long, these Midwest interstate stretches provide ample opportunities.
The outback while it doesn't struggle, it just doesn't feel right, gets noisy . A Taurus is just loud and a little shaking in the dash. The Mazda 6 was just loud.
   94. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 20, 2017 at 10:38 PM (#5579186)
Andy, I'm not seeing the gotcha.

1990: “Whether that be good or bad, David Duke is going to get a lot of votes. Pat Buchanan—who really has many of the same theories, except it's in a better package—Pat Buchanan is going to take a lot of votes away from George Bush"

2016: “Well, just so you understand, I don’t know anything about David Duke. Okay?,”
   95. The Yankee Clapper Posted: November 20, 2017 at 10:41 PM (#5579187)
   96. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 10:42 PM (#5579188)
Carter was generally regarded (by both sides of the aisle) as a pretty mediocre president when he left office, but over the past decade has emerged as a respected elder statesman. raging anti-semite
FIFY.
   97. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 10:43 PM (#5579189)

And by "now pretty clear," SBB means "I'm a trolling liar who lies."
   98. PreservedFish Posted: November 20, 2017 at 10:44 PM (#5579190)

1990: “Whether that be good or bad, David Duke is going to get a lot of votes. Pat Buchanan—who really has many of the same theories, except it's in a better package—Pat Buchanan is going to take a lot of votes away from George Bush"

2016: “Well, just so you understand, I don’t know anything about David Duke. Okay?,”

Again, there's no gotcha. In 1990 he only evinces a superficial understanding of Duke's appeal, and for chrissakes it was 25 years ago.
   99. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: November 20, 2017 at 10:45 PM (#5579191)
Andy, I'm not seeing the gotcha. Trump understands now that white people are angry about ####. It appears that he also understood in the early 90s that white people were angry about ####. That doesn't mean that he has a non-superficial understanding of the white supremacy movement.

The "gotcha" is simply that in 2016 Trump pretended he "don't know anything" about a Klansman whose strong race in 1990 he'd rather astutely analyzed in that post-election interview. The "Uncle Leo" defense would be the idea that he simply forget not only about what he said in 1990, which is possible, but that he really doesn't know anything about David Duke, which is preposterous on its face after all the number of times Duke has been in the news over the past 25+ years. Trump may be ignorant, but he's not THAT ignorant.

BTW I just finished reading that Atlantic piece, and it's well worth the 10 or 15 minutes it takes to get though it. madvillain gets a gold star for linking it.
   100. PreservedFish Posted: November 20, 2017 at 10:47 PM (#5579193)
I've been on trial all day, but I can't quite believe that people let this one pass, from last week's thread:

What puzzled me about that comment is how expansive his definition of "virtue signaling" must be if it can be applied to liberals calling Trump a retard.
Page 1 of 12 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Eugene Freedman
for his generous support.