Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, November 20, 2017

OTP 20 November 2017: Sheriff’s official suspended 10 days over Cubs World Series sneak-in

A high-ranking official in Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart’s office had to pay a price for allowing others to avoid having to pay the price of admission last year to a Cubs World Series game at Wrigley Field, newly obtained records show.

Mike Anton, a deputy chief with the sheriff’s police who makes about $120,000 a year, was suspended for 10 days for giving security IDs to two people so they could get in to a 2016 Cubs World Series game, the records show.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: November 20, 2017 at 08:01 AM | 1172 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off-topic, politics, world series

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 12 of 12 pages ‹ First  < 10 11 12
   1101. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: November 27, 2017 at 01:03 PM (#5581485)
flip
   1102. Lassus Posted: November 27, 2017 at 01:08 PM (#5581486)
In Andy-land, what makes a pompous ass more redeeming than a despicable person?

In the land where different words mean different things?
   1103. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: November 27, 2017 at 01:10 PM (#5581488)
Nice try, but that wasn't the question, and you know it. Plenty of people are pompous asses without being despicable people.

Profiles in Courage, this ain't.

Oh, really? In Andy-land, what makes a pompous ass more redeeming than a despicable person?

But if that's the case, why can't you bring yourself to use that latter term to describe Trump? I realize that by now this is like picking wings off a fly, but my curiosity remains strong.

You've called him a pompous ass who does despicable things, but you can't bring yourself to call him a despicable person. Why is that? What is it about Donald Trump or his backers that makes you recoil from pulling the trigger?

1104. Stormy JE Posted: November 27, 2017 at 01:16 PM (#5581489)
You've called him a pompous ass who does despicable things, but you can't bring yourself to call him a despicable person. Why is that? What is it about Donald Trump or his backers that makes you recoil from pulling the trigger?
Maybe because I so enjoy watching how you, with a positively straight face, believe that, if I call Trump a "pompous ass" in lieu of a "despicable person," somehow members of his administration will think more highly of me.
   1105. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 27, 2017 at 01:19 PM (#5581491)
The Senate Republican tax plan gives substantial tax cuts and benefits to Americans earning more than $100,000 a year,

Not to all. I have calculated my 2016 taxes bsed on the Senate plan, and my taxes would have been ~$3,000 higher. The big hit is the elimination of the personal exemption*, which combined with the elimination of some deductions, means an extra $20,000 in taxable income. Our income isn't high enough for the lower rates to make up the difference.

* Why isn't this getting more play? They keep talking about how a family of 4 gets an extra $12,000 in standard deduction, but never mention the $16,200 they lose by eliminating the personal exemption.
   1106. The Yankee Clapper Posted: November 27, 2017 at 01:20 PM (#5581492)
And the CFPB's general counsel -- a career civil servant, who started her career in the Carter administration and who joined the CFPB under Obama -- has sided with Trump, arguing that the Vacancies Reform Act vests authority in the president to name the acting director.

Full text of that memorandum here. It really isn't a close call, and is quite similar to the many regulatory agencies that have a Chairman, with a Vice Chairman authorized to perform the duties of the Chairman in the absence or unavailability of the Chairman. If the President does nothing, the Vice Chairman becomes acting Chairman when a vacancy occurs, but if the Prsident designates someone else, that person is the acting Chairman. There are enough precedents that this should eventually get straightened out in favor of the White House.

It also appears that Mick Mulvaney is winning the battle in the trenches:
White House Budget Director Mick Mulvaney, President Donald Trump's choice to temporarily lead the bureau, arrived at about 7:30 a.m. and settled in at the CFPB director's office, where he read briefing books. His challenger for the job, CFPB Deputy Director Leandra English, was also in the building. English, former Director Richard Cordray's handpicked replacement, sent the staff an emailed greeting shortly before 8 a.m. and signed it with the bureau's top title, acting director.

Mulvaney quickly fired back with a memo instructing staff to ignore any instructions from English. "I apologize for this being the very first thing you hear from me," he wrote, and invited employees to the bureau's fourth floor for doughnuts.

As everyone knows, possession is 9/10s of the law, so Mulvaney is looking pretty good. The CFPB may be highly politicized, but most bureaucrats have a warm spot for political appointees who feed them, so the doughnuts were a good start, too. I assume that English's e-mail account has been deactivated by now, and she may be hiding out in building's air ducts, not unlike the Japanese soldiers in the Philippines who refused to surrender and hid out in caves.
   1107. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: November 27, 2017 at 01:28 PM (#5581494)
If he was named by Trump he should be opposed by any means necessary. No matter how many bribes he tries to pay out.
   1108. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: November 27, 2017 at 01:30 PM (#5581495)

Maybe because I so enjoy watching how you, with a positively straight face, believe that, if I call Trump a "pompous ass" in lieu of a "despicable person," somehow members of his administration will think more highly of me.

Well, the only other logical explanation is that you think he's not despicable. And if you weren't at least somewhat thinking about having your comments noticed outside our little BTF community, why did you stop using your real name as your handle?
   1109. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: November 27, 2017 at 01:32 PM (#5581497)
That has been my stance all along. In a democracy the final decision goes to the voter, or should.
Many voters have the expectation that if they vote R, the senate will expel him if he is elected. So these folks are planning to hold their nose and vote R, not "Child Molester", with the assumption that the system will work.

If the Senate stated unequivocally that they will not remove him, then it would be the voters decision, but there's no way the R-controlled Senate will deal honestly with the people of Alabama when there's an election at stake.

1110. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: November 27, 2017 at 01:33 PM (#5581498)
Well, the only other logical explanation is that you think he's not despicable.

You ignore the obvious third possibility; he is too stubborn to give you the "gotcha." He knows Trump is despicable. He knows he is a craven weasel for slithering up to Trump and his people in order to curry favor for his preferred positions. But the alternative; giving you and other "libtards" the pleasure of hearing him admit he was wrong, combined with loss of access to power*, is a bridge too far.

*that's the real thing, of course.
   1111. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: November 27, 2017 at 01:38 PM (#5581501)
Many voters have the expectation that if they vote R, the senate will expel [Roy Moore] if he is elected. So these folks are planning to hold their nose and vote R, not "Child Molester", with the assumption that the system will work.

Or maybe they just agree with the simple wisdom of Breitbart editor Joel Pollak, who offered this excuse today on CNN:
“You know, in 1973, Ringo Starr hit #1 on the Billboard charts with a song, ‘You’re 16 and You’re Beautiful and You’re Mine.' He was 30-something at the time, singing about a 16-year-old. Do we want to take away Ringo Starr’s...”

The point would have been even stronger if the host hadn't interrupted there to scoff at him.

I particularly like that Pollak came prepared to offer that thought, getting the exact year and chart position right.
   1112. The Yankee Clapper Posted: November 27, 2017 at 01:40 PM (#5581502)
Out of wild curiosity why do people care if 2016 was a "good" performance or a "bad" performance for Democrats or Republicans? Seriously what are we trying to measure, what story are we trying to tell?

Some things can be measured objectively, and winning control of the House of Representatives is one of them. A political party that loses a few House seats but retains the Majority is in better shape than a political party that gains a few seats but continues in the Minority. Sure, winning a few more seats is better for the Minority than losing even more, but it's only a consolation prize. Everyone knows this, but for some reason there is reluctance by some to admit that House Dems flopped in the 2012 & 2016 presidential election years, as well as the 2010 & 2014 midterms.
   1113. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: November 27, 2017 at 01:40 PM (#5581503)
[1109] Are they? My impression is that expulsion was floated as an idea (mainly to get him to drop out so they could run a write-in campaign) and mostly dropped after it was clear Moore was staying through the end no matter what. And the Republican Party of Alabama could have ended it by withdrawing his nomination but chose not to.
   1114. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: November 27, 2017 at 01:40 PM (#5581504)
So these folks are planning to hold their nose and vote R, not "Child Molester"

No. Those voters are voting "Child Molester."
   1115. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: November 27, 2017 at 01:42 PM (#5581505)
Some things can be measured objectively

Other things, such as the degree of Clapper's schilling and hackery, are immeasurable.
   1116. dlf Posted: November 27, 2017 at 01:43 PM (#5581506)
My personal experience with the CFPB includes being examined under oath by a CFPB political appointee, the former Toledo mayoral candidate who was heckled out of a campaign stop: Boo Ben Konop. It was so bad that South Park spoofed the guy Boo Wendy!. Because it is still - more than four years after the investigation started - a pending matter, I won't go into details, but I'll just say that his preparation for the examination showed the same level of foresight and attention to the tasks at hand that his campaign stop revealed.
   1117. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: November 27, 2017 at 01:43 PM (#5581508)
Many voters have the expectation that if they vote R, the senate will expel him if he is elected. So these folks are planning to hold their nose and vote R, not "Child Molester", with the assumption that the system will work.

If the Senate stated unequivocally that they will not remove him, then it would be the voters decision, but there's no way the R-controlled Senate will deal honestly with the people of Alabama when there's an election at stake.

This is too much 12th dimensional chess for my taste. Some voters may think that way, but I think it is clear, vote for who you want to win. Message votes, votes based on this, that, or the other are foolish.
   1118. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: November 27, 2017 at 01:45 PM (#5581510)
Well, the only other logical explanation is that you think he's not despicable.

You ignore the obvious third possibility; he is too stubborn to give you the "gotcha."

What "gotcha" would there be in simply stating that 2+2=4? Or in this case, that The Emperor has no clothes? And if he ever did get around to stating the obvious, I certainly wouldn't do any victory dance, since I actually still like the guy. (JE, that is.)

He knows Trump is despicable. He knows he is a craven weasel for slithering up to Trump and his people in order to curry favor for his preferred positions. But the alternative; giving you and other "libtards" the pleasure of hearing him admit he was wrong, combined with loss of access to power*, is a bridge too far.

Well, that's exactly what I've been saying all along. Except that it wouldn't even be an admission that he was "wrong", since he's never actually said he likes Trump, and was against him all the way up through the convention. Which leaves the motive of not wanting to burn his bridges with a party whose base is still in love with him, and IMO that's the only logical conclusion.
   1119. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: November 27, 2017 at 01:48 PM (#5581517)
Everyone knows this, but for some reason there is reluctance by some to admit that House Dems flopped in the 2012 & 2016 presidential election years, as well as the 2010 & 2014 midterms.

Um, this is silly and hackish even for you. The GOP won more than it lost in 2016. That is how they control the House here in 2017. Calling not winning in aggregate, even though they did better than they did the cycle before, "flopping" is ridiculous.

Seriously dude, your party has more power than it has had since forever. You guys have the House, Senate, and Presidency. You have a majority of Governors. Be happy at that and all the accomplishments you guys are rolling up*, because a little bird keeps telling me your hold on the government won't last.

* Um, whatever those might be. Appointments mostly as far as I can tell, along with objectively terrible legislation that keeps failing. But hey they may manage to push through the terrible Tax bill, so hey! Accomplishment.
   1120. Zonk is One Individual Posted: November 27, 2017 at 01:49 PM (#5581518)
* Why isn't this getting more play? They keep talking about how a family of 4 gets an extra $12,000 in standard deduction, but never mention the $16,200 they lose by eliminating the personal exemption.

Because the entire tax bill is nothing more than piling enough parlor tricks into it to distract individual filers from the laughably indefensible idea that companies either hire more or pay higher wages based on corporate tax rates.
   1121. Srul Itza Posted: November 27, 2017 at 01:53 PM (#5581522)
It had the Lehrer cadence but seemed rather too dark - thanks.

The Lehrer take was more like this in the MLF Lullaby:

Sleep well my darling, in peace may you slumber,
No danger lurks, your sleep to encumber

We've got the missiles, peace to determine
... and one of the fingers on the button will be German.

Why shouldn't they have nuclear warheads
England says no, but they all are soreheads
I say a bygone, should be a bygone
Let's make peace, the way we did in Stanleyville and Saigon.

Once all the Germans were war-like and mean,
but that couldn't happen again.
We taught them a lesson in 1918,
and they've hardly bothered us since then.

And so on.
   1122. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: November 27, 2017 at 01:54 PM (#5581524)
Knowing such might like long walks on the beach and seeing the sunset in your eyes doesn't really change that for me, but for many people I agree it does make them more human and less evil. Doesn't make them any less losers though.

Scheint die Sonne auch für Nazis? ich könnts nicht verstehen.
Dürfen Faschos auch verreisen? Das wär ungerecht.
Können Rassisten etwa auch den blauen Himmel sehen?
Scheint die Sonne auch für Nazis?
Wenn's nach mir geht tut sie's nicht!
Ich will nen Sommer nur für mich!

Cause yall clearly need more German punk rock in your lives.
   1123. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: November 27, 2017 at 01:55 PM (#5581525)

Moore won’t get removed if elected and shouldn’t. I despise the guy and want Jones to win, but if the voters of Alabama decide they want to be represented by a child molester they have that right.
And if the rest of the country doesn't want him legislating for them, then they have the right to kick him out.
   1124. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: November 27, 2017 at 01:57 PM (#5581526)
And if the rest of the country doesn't want him legislating for them, then they have the right to kick him out.

Not on an ideological basis. (Shushy, I know you didn't say otherwise. I'm just saying.)
   1125. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: November 27, 2017 at 01:59 PM (#5581529)
* Um, whatever those might be. Appointments mostly as far as I can tell, along with objectively terrible legislation that keeps failing. But hey they may manage to push through the terrible Tax bill, so hey! Accomplishment.

Hey now, they've had some pretty terrible legislation succeed, such as preventing consumers from suing Wells Fargo. From Vox:
Thanks to Trump:
It’s easier for mining companies to dump pollution into streams.
It’s easier for oil companies to bribe foreign governments.
It’s easier for broadband internet providers to sell their customers’ user data.
But it’s now harder for state governments to set up low-fee retirement accounts so people could save money without getting ripped off.

And don't underestimate the power of packing the courts. That'll make it easier to step up voter suppression efforts.
   1126. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 27, 2017 at 02:00 PM (#5581532)
Because the entire tax bill is nothing more than piling enough parlor tricks into it to distract individual filers from the laughably indefensible idea that companies either hire more or pay higher wages based on corporate tax rates.

But that doesn't explain why the D's or the media never mentions it.
   1127. The Yankee Clapper Posted: November 27, 2017 at 02:05 PM (#5581534)
Prince Harry is engaged. Hopefully it goes better than the last time an American married into the Royal Family.
   1128. Stormy JE Posted: November 27, 2017 at 02:07 PM (#5581537)
There are enough precedents that this should eventually get straightened out in favor of the White House.
Totally. Of course, Cordray appears to be focusing less on this battle and more on the war. If you're a D and want to be the next governor of Ohio, is there a better way to launch your bid for office than by loudly taking on Trump?
"I apologize for this being the very first thing you hear from me," he wrote, and invited employees to the bureau's fourth floor for doughnuts.
Doughnuts: Is there anything they can't do?
   1129. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: November 27, 2017 at 02:07 PM (#5581538)
Re: #1112/1119/etc--

Clapper is the Carlos Beltran of election results. He can argue the binary "did the chamber flip, yes/no?" view, he can argue and/or define unmet expectations, he can argue historical averages, he can argue it's about the starting and ending points of the available playing field, he can argue a special "gloating" penalty... whatever the situation demands, he has the skills to provide.

Over the past two presidential elections, the winner's party has averaged a 1-seat pickup in the House.
Over the past five presidential elections, the winner's party has averaged a 5-seat pickup in the House.
Over the past eight presidential elections, the winner's party has averaged a 2-seat pickup in the House.
Over the past twelve presidential elections, the winner's party has averaged a 6.5-seat pickup in the House.
Over the past fifteen presidential elections, the winner's party has averaged an 8-seat pickup in the House.

Therefore, the Democrats' pickups of +8 in 2012 and +6 in 2016 (a year when their candidate lost) are both flops.
   1130. Stormy JE Posted: November 27, 2017 at 02:15 PM (#5581545)
And if you weren't at least somewhat thinking about having your comments noticed outside our little BTF community, why did you stop using your real name as your handle?
That has more to do with the views of more recent clients than anything else. Just because I'm getting their work done doesn't mean they want to know I'm spending part of the morning yukking it up with you yokels.
   1131. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: November 27, 2017 at 02:16 PM (#5581546)
There are enough precedents that this should eventually get straightened out in favor of the White House.

Totally. Of course, Cordray appears to be focusing less on this battle and more on the war. If you're a D and want to be the next governor of Ohio, is there a better way to launch your bid for office than by loudly taking on Trump?
Yup. The lawsuit by English has language in there quoting Mulvaney as saying that he doesn't like the CFPB. That has nothing whatsoever to do with the legal issues; the only purpose of that is for public consumption.
   1132. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: November 27, 2017 at 02:16 PM (#5581547)
Clapper is the Carlos Beltran of election results.

There is no #### that man can't holster.
   1133. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: November 27, 2017 at 02:17 PM (#5581548)
That has nothing whatsoever to do with the legal issues; the only purpose of that is for public consumption.

So? Why on earth should someone attempt to defeat the party of fascism and child molestation with "just the facts?"
   1134. Stormy JE Posted: November 27, 2017 at 02:19 PM (#5581549)
You ignore the obvious third possibility; he is too stubborn to give you the "gotcha." He knows Trump is despicable. He knows he is a craven weasel for slithering up to Trump and his people in order to curry favor for his preferred positions. But the alternative; giving you and other "libtards" the pleasure of hearing him admit he was wrong, combined with loss of access to power*, is a bridge too far.

*that's the real thing, of course.
If that were even remotely true, I would've campaigned for Trump from July 2016 through the general election -- and beyond.
   1135. dlf Posted: November 27, 2017 at 02:21 PM (#5581550)
Doughnuts: Is there anything they can't do?

Apparently, they can't be spelled correctly by Mr. Mulvaney. It's a donut and that, unlike most everything else discussed in OTP (with the notable exception of reclining airline seats) is the hill on which I will die.
   1136. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: November 27, 2017 at 02:22 PM (#5581551)

In Andy-land
A horrific version of the classic board game, with locations such as Scare Quote Forest, No Principles Mountain, Ad Hoc Acres, Old Movies Nobody Has Ever Seen Woods, Logic-Free Pass, Repetitive Trail, and of course Andy Castle.
   1137. The Yankee Clapper Posted: November 27, 2017 at 02:26 PM (#5581555)
If you're a D and want to be the next governor of Ohio, is there a better way to launch your bid for office than by loudly taking on Trump?

Claiming you've had sex with 50 attractive women?
   1138. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: November 27, 2017 at 02:26 PM (#5581556)
Apparently, they can't be spelled correctly by Mr. Mulvaney. It's a donut and that, unlike most everything else discussed in OTP (with the notable exception of reclining airline seats) is the hill on which I will die.

Heh.

While donut lovers line up annually for free goodies on National Donut Day, readers year-round occasionally notice that we do include this shorter spelling, as well as doughnut, and let us know they're displeased.
   1139. Zonk is One Individual Posted: November 27, 2017 at 02:27 PM (#5581557)
Prince Harry is engaged. Hopefully it goes better than the last time an American married into the Royal Family.

Heh -

So one of my younger friends dated - as in, took her to a formal - the Prince's bride-to-be in college and gleefully posted an old formal photo titled "the one who got away" in referencing this news.

Given his wife's response and the fact that the post has now been taken down, I suspect the glee was rather fleeting.... well, at least for him - for everyone else eyerolling it, the glee pretty much just got started.

1140. Lassus Posted: November 27, 2017 at 02:27 PM (#5581558)
Scare Quote Forest

Yeah, this is SBB by a country mile. Andy isn't in the same zip code.
   1141. Stormy JE Posted: November 27, 2017 at 02:28 PM (#5581559)
A horrific version of the classic board game, with locations such as Scare Quote Forest, No Principles Mountain, Ad Hoc Acres, Old Movies Nobody Has Ever Seen Woods, Logic-Free Pass, Repetitive Trail, and of course Andy Castle.
What, no mention of his exotic driving "skills?"
   1142. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: November 27, 2017 at 02:28 PM (#5581560)
Ted Baxter was a pompous ass, but not a despicable person. Would Michael Scott be this generation's equivalent?
   1143. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: November 27, 2017 at 02:38 PM (#5581563)
This is too much 12th dimensional chess for my taste. Some voters may think that way, but I think it is clear, vote for who you want to win.
And that is R, for the vast majority of Alabamans. Whether it's Bob R, Jimmy R or Roy R, matters not. The missing piece is the way to rationalize voting for the child molester R.

And "the Senate will expel him and we'll get a do-over" narrative provides that rationalization. If he gets elected, it will have played a large part.
   1144. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 27, 2017 at 02:43 PM (#5581564)

Is Harry the most Nazi Royal since the Duke of Windsor?
   1145. BrianBrianson Posted: November 27, 2017 at 02:48 PM (#5581568)
Guys, come on. The outrage over this article was obviously real.

Real? Sure, but I see no reason to believe it's any more widespread or serious than the outrage that happens every time the Duchess of Cambridge re-uses a pair of shoes. Sure, someone, somewhere is outraged, and the media will overhype any outrage they think will draw eyeballs. The outrage over the article is trivially small enough that if people weren't drawing attention to the outrage to score political points, none of us would ever know there was outrage. It's the same as when one sixteen year old boy objected a ghostbusters reboot with all ladies, and the counter backlash was hyped by feminist media and Sony even though the backlash was practically non-existent.

If you need a counter backlash to wind up with more than 1D6 people knowing about the backlash, the backlash is uninterestingly small.
   1146. Stormy JE Posted: November 27, 2017 at 02:54 PM (#5581571)
It’s kind of weird that Leandra English is meeting with Warren/Schumer on Capitol Hill instead of physically being at the agency she says she runs?
The wannabe "acting director" of an "independent" agency spends her very first day huddling behind closed doors with the Senate Minority Leader and a presumed candidate for POTUS in '20?

Yup, she sounds totally legit!

EDIT: David Harsanyi:
Republicans have long argued that the CFPB is unaccountable, and unconstitutional. This week, Democrats proved that’s exactly how they like it.
   1147. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: November 27, 2017 at 02:56 PM (#5581573)

Since it's an EA game, unlocking that skill requires a paid microtransaction.
   1148. Morty Causa Posted: November 27, 2017 at 02:59 PM (#5581575)
Donut/doughnut is still designated as informal and a variant by the American Heritage, which was created directly as a result of the 1969 Webster's turn toward radical permissiveness. The first edition AHD was my favorite American dictionary from its creation to when dictionaries became common and free on the internet. Merriam-Webster just says it is a less common spelling. Is it?
   1149. Swoboda is freedom Posted: November 27, 2017 at 02:59 PM (#5581576)
Is Harry the most Nazi Royal since the Duke of Windsor?

Yes he is. Die Fuehrer
   1150. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: November 27, 2017 at 03:00 PM (#5581578)
Donuts are rings with a hole in the middle. Doughnuts are balls with filling in the center. That's how I handle that anyway.
   1151. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: November 27, 2017 at 03:03 PM (#5581580)
And to bring it 'round to the tax reform topic, some people are afraid there'll be too much dough in the hands of RW nuts...
   1152. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: November 27, 2017 at 03:05 PM (#5581582)
Donuts are rings with a hole in the middle
You're thinking of bagels.
   1153. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: November 27, 2017 at 03:08 PM (#5581583)
Donuts are rings with a hole in the middle

You're thinking of bagels.

No, no no...you're thinking of a breed of dog.
   1154. BrianBrianson Posted: November 27, 2017 at 03:09 PM (#5581584)
Donuts are rings with a hole in the middle.

Are there rings that don't have holes in the middle?

The ring of a bell, I suppose.
   1155. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: November 27, 2017 at 03:18 PM (#5581589)
Many donuts are not rings and don't have holes in the middle. Examples include: jelly donuts, creme donuts, maple bars and bear claws.
   1156. Stormy JE Posted: November 27, 2017 at 03:19 PM (#5581590)
The Alabama Senate race just became a wee bit more wild:
When retired Marine Col. Lee Busby read it was too late for a write-in candidate for the Alabama senate race, he said, “Hold my beer, we will just see about that.”

Busby told The Daily Beast on Monday he is launching his long-shot bid to stop Republican nominee Roy Moore from reaching the Senate.

“I have no idea if the allegations against him true or not, but I don’t see anything within his experience as a judge that qualifies him for the job.”

Busby said his state needs a choice other than Moore or Democrat Doug Jones.

“Alabama is not happy with the two choices we have down here. They are not appealing.”

Busby said he spent 31 years in the Marine Corps and on his last tour of duty was vice chief of staff to then-Gen. John Kelly, who is now White House chief of staff.

Since retiring, Busby has been the CEO of his own business and worked as a defense consultant and investment banker. At the same time, Busby has been honoring fallen Marines with sculptures like the one he was working on in his garage prior to his Senate announcement.
"Hold my beer" indeed.
   1157. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: November 27, 2017 at 03:22 PM (#5581591)
And if you weren't at least somewhat thinking about having your comments noticed outside our little BTF community, why did you stop using your real name as your handle?

That has more to do with the views of more recent clients than anything else. Just because I'm getting their work done doesn't mean they want to know I'm spending part of the morning yukking it up with you yokels.

Wait, you're dealing with clients who surf BTF trying to make sure that you're not wasting as much time on here as they are?

Hey, what's with the scare quotes? A little respect. You think driving with one knee while turning left with a stick shift while talking** on the phone doesn't take a certain amount of dexterity?

** Talking, not texting. Never texting.
   1158. Zonk is One Individual Posted: November 27, 2017 at 03:23 PM (#5581592)
Many donuts are not rings and don't have holes in the middle. Examples include: jelly donuts, creme donuts, maple bars and bear claws.

Well, technically -- any donut with a filling does have a hole in the middle... it's just filled with filling.... and bear claws are bear claws.

So it's just long johns you need to deal with.
   1159. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: November 27, 2017 at 03:25 PM (#5581593)
maple bars
You would *not* believe the discussions I've heard over whether or not a maple bar is or is not a do(ugh)nut.

All I know is, they're delicious.
   1160. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: November 27, 2017 at 03:25 PM (#5581595)
When retired Marine Col. Lee Busby read it was too late for a write-in candidate for the Alabama senate race, he said, “Hold my beer, we will just see about that.”

I always thought that race needed a Jill Stein of the Right to liven things up a bit.
   1161. Lassus Posted: November 27, 2017 at 03:26 PM (#5581596)
   1162. Stormy JE Posted: November 27, 2017 at 03:28 PM (#5581597)
Wait, you're dealing with clients who surf BTF trying to make sure that you're not wasting as much time on here as they are?
Aw ####, the cat's out of the bag, I suppose. Yes, I'm conducting oppo research on behalf of wannabe Senator Mouse who's exploring a run against Franken.
   1163. Stormy JE Posted: November 27, 2017 at 03:30 PM (#5581598)
Hey, what's with the scare quotes? A little respect.
Fine, although would it kill you to learn how to sync a Bluetooth device and shifted gears with your right hand?
   1164. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 27, 2017 at 03:31 PM (#5581600)
A bear claw is not a donut!

Of course not. It's a middle reliever.
   1165. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: November 27, 2017 at 03:31 PM (#5581603)
New Thread sez, "Won't somebody please gamble on a sad and lonely link?
   1166. Zonk is One Individual Posted: November 27, 2017 at 03:35 PM (#5581605)
I'll grant that he's probably left of the median Alabama voter, pretending that Doug Jones is some wild-eyed lefty loony is the height of silliness.
   1167. Stormy JE Posted: November 27, 2017 at 03:35 PM (#5581608)
Greg Pollowitz, FTW:
Prince Harry's kids will be Americans. What if one grows up to be president and is in line for the throne at the same time? Brits are playing long-ball here, but it's a smart move. They want America back and this is how they'll do it.
Second prize, also to Greg:
It will be funny in 50+ years or so when the IRS goes after the Royal Family for the U.S. share of the estate tax.
   1168. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: November 27, 2017 at 03:39 PM (#5581612)

Aw ####, the cat's out of the bag, I suppose. Yes, I'm conducting oppo research on behalf of wannabe Senator Mouse who's exploring a run against Franken.

Of course now he has to kill you.

Hey, what's with the scare quotes? A little respect.

Fine, although would it kill you to learn how to sync a Bluetooth device and shifted gears with your right hand?

No idea what you're talking about. I'd show you my flip phone device, except they stopped making the model about 5 or 6 years ago.
   1169. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: November 27, 2017 at 03:39 PM (#5581613)
Yes, I'm conducting oppo research on behalf of wannabe Senator Mouse who's exploring a run against Franken.

I wouldn't even vote for me, so I think my candidacy is doomed.
   1170. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: November 27, 2017 at 03:48 PM (#5581622)
jelly donuts, creme donuts

Those are doughnuts. That was the point.
   1171. Lassus Posted: November 27, 2017 at 03:53 PM (#5581628)
NEW THREAD thataway!
   1172. Morty Causa Posted: November 27, 2017 at 04:07 PM (#5581648)
1103:

One would think that the writer of such an article would have asked of his interviewee what he has in mind when it comes to effectuating his views. Pogroms, ghettos, extermination camps, what? Thinking your tribe or racial/ethnic group is special and is being discriminated against seems par for the course for a lot of people and groups. And they also have a literature and a reading of history that in their minds corroborates their views.
Page 12 of 12 pages ‹ First  < 10 11 12

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick
for his generous support.