Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, November 20, 2017

OTP 20 November 2017: Sheriff’s official suspended 10 days over Cubs World Series sneak-in

A high-ranking official in Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart’s office had to pay a price for allowing others to avoid having to pay the price of admission last year to a Cubs World Series game at Wrigley Field, newly obtained records show.

Mike Anton, a deputy chief with the sheriff’s police who makes about $120,000 a year, was suspended for 10 days for giving security IDs to two people so they could get in to a 2016 Cubs World Series game, the records show.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: November 20, 2017 at 08:01 AM | 1172 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off-topic, politics, world series

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 8 of 12 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 >  Last ›
   701. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: November 22, 2017 at 04:34 PM (#5580366)
I can't wait until Comcast decides that MLB.tv is more important than springfieldk12.edu and little jonny can't pull up his homework assignment.

This is what's going to happen it's so ####### predicable. FFS.
My god, leftists are stupid. How and why would that ever happen? Why has it never happened?

the more I read about the FCC head and his ties to Verizon and Comcast the more I get angry
He has no "ties" -- there's that awful word -- to either of these. He worked at Verizon for a couple of years 15 years ago.
   702. The Yankee Clapper Posted: November 22, 2017 at 04:38 PM (#5580368)
A rather lengthy delay, but she finally found her voice - Sebelius: Clinton WH Doubled Down On Abusive Behavior:
As a wave of stories unfold about sexual harassment and assault by men in power, a senior Democratic leader says her party should reflect on how it handled such charges when they were leveled against former President Bill Clinton.

"Not only did people look the other way, but they went after the women who came forward and accused him," says Kathleen Sebelius, the former secretary of Health and Human Services and Kansas governor. "And so it doubled down on not only bad behavior but abusive behavior. And then people attacked the victims."

Sebelius extended her criticism to Hillary Clinton, and the Clinton White House for what she called a strategy of dismissing and besmirching the women who stepped forward—a pattern she said is being repeated today by alleged perpetrators of sexual assault—saying that the criticism of the former first lady and Secretary of State was "absolutely" fair. Sebelius noted that the Clinton Administration's response was being imitated, adding that "you can watch that same pattern repeat, It needs to end. It needs to be over."

No one would have said a peep had Hillary been elected, and Harvey Weinstein might have been named Ambassador to France. How the Clintons have fallen - is anyone even paying for their speeches any more? What will they ever do?
   703. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: November 22, 2017 at 04:41 PM (#5580370)
He worked at Verizon for a couple of years 15 years ago.

Hey, so did I! What was his job title? Service Rep? Administrative Assistant? Facilities Assigner?
   704. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: November 22, 2017 at 04:42 PM (#5580371)
I think this true. It's definitely an ingredient our national malaise and personal despair. By always holding the USA to standards it can't meet, then contemptuously disparaging its efforts, we're striking at the heart of what makes a community--all in name of WHAT'S RIGHT!. We're in a cannibalizing ritual that has us spiraling, but as long as this one part, MY PART, is waxed and buffed, it's okay. I'm torn between fearing the frothing patriots and suppressing my gag reflex at the disgust I feel for the cynicism and self-destructive impulses of the modern progressive.

Lift every voice and sing,
Till earth and heaven ring,
Ring with the harmonies of Liberty;
Let our rejoicing rise
High as the list’ning skies,
Let it resound loud as the rolling sea.
Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us,
Sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us;
Facing the rising sun of our new day begun,
Let us march on till victory is won.

Stony the road we trod,
Bitter the chast’ning rod,
Felt in the days when hope unborn had died;
Yet with a steady beat,
Have not our weary feet
Come to the place for which our fathers sighed?
We have come over a way that with tears has been watered.
We have come, treading our path through the blood of the slaughtered,
Out from the gloomy past,
Till now we stand at last
Where the white gleam of our bright star is cast.

God of our weary years,
God of our silent tears,
Thou who hast brought us thus far on the way;
Thou who hast by Thy might,
Led us into the light,
Keep us forever in the path, we pray.
Lest our feet stray from the places, our God, where we met Thee,
Lest our hearts, drunk with the wine of the world, we forget Thee;
Shadowed beneath Thy hand,
May we forever stand,
True to our God,
True to our native land.
   705. PepTech Posted: November 22, 2017 at 04:43 PM (#5580372)
How the Clinton's have fallen - is anyone even paying for their speeches any more? What will they ever do?
Who cares? It's not exactly a rhetorical question. No one cares about Mitt, or cared about Dukakis, etc., etc. after they faded into obscurity.

The only reason I ever hear about any Clinton in any medium is when stuff is posted here. I suppose it's because it's easier to keep that outrage going than actually contemplate who actually won the election.
   706. Ray (RDP) Posted: November 22, 2017 at 04:45 PM (#5580373)
By way of explanation, I was wound up emotionally. I have never been more disgusted with Trump and his supporters than last night after he endorsed a child molester. But his bad behavior doesn't excuse mine. So all yall's shots at me are fair.

Don't worry; your fellow liberals couldn't find it within themselves to deliver any shots at you.
   707. madvillain Posted: November 22, 2017 at 04:45 PM (#5580374)
My god, leftists are stupid. How and why would that ever happen? Why has it never happened?

because of net neutrality genius. You're out of your league here, no offense. I'm an actual working IT pro, with a poli sci degree. I have a pretty good understanding of both the political aspect and the tech aspect.

He has no "ties" -- there's that awful word -- to either of these. He worked at Verizon for a couple of years 15 years ago.

Ok, then how about his "pulling a hillary" wrt to his communications with one of the main beneficiaries of his FCC policies...

The naivety of libertarians!
   708. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: November 22, 2017 at 04:46 PM (#5580375)

Hey, so did I! What was his job title? Service Rep? Administrative Assistant? Facilities Assigner?

From the look of him I'm assuming phone support. I'm guessing he went by the name of "Fred".
   709. greenback wears sandals on his head Posted: November 22, 2017 at 04:47 PM (#5580376)
How and why would that ever happen?

The Portugal graphic making the rounds is misleading in some ways, but it answers your hypothetical question directly. Mlb.tv will pay Comcast for first tier service; springfieldk12.edu will not.

On a baseball site, the economic viability of blackouts should be familiar already.

ETA: You really need to respond to #696 though. That's the killer:

The market for access provider functions more like a monopoly than the market for content.

All the Econ 101 lessons fall flat against this reality.
   710. Ray (RDP) Posted: November 22, 2017 at 04:48 PM (#5580377)
Ray says he opposes Moore and that he would vote for Jones if he could. Fair enough. But Ray also says he doesn't support Trump, and this I don't buy. When he continually mocks and attacks people who really do, with catchphrases like TDS, and "Trump's being investigated for the crime of winning the election", his objections ring hollow. And I fully believe that support for Trump is at least tacit support for Moore, in that Trump only does what is in his best interest, and if Trump thought endorsing Moore would cost him support, he wouldn't do it, and may have even condemned him like our Ray here has. Thus, by my logic, support for Trump makes it more likely we will have a child molester in the Senate next month.

What you're trying to prove about Trump by holding up my condemnation of Moore -- which you've finally found it in yourself to acknowledge -- I have no idea.
   711. BDC Posted: November 22, 2017 at 04:49 PM (#5580378)
Till earth and heaven ring

It's a lovely song, but if they start playing it during every seventh inning, I guarantee we'll all be sick of it in a hurry :)
   712. TDF didn't lie, he just didn't remember Posted: November 22, 2017 at 04:50 PM (#5580380)
Nice undersell. From Wiki:
Pai left his Department of Justice post in February 2001 to serve as Associate General Counsel at Verizon Communications Inc., where he handled competition matters, regulatory issues, and counseling of business units on broadband initiatives.
Associate General Counsel at Verizon, where he handled regulatory issues. Nah, nothing there at all.
   713. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: November 22, 2017 at 04:52 PM (#5580381)
Ajit Pai has the biggest Backpfeifengesicht I have ever seen. Worse than pharma-bro Shkreli. And that is saying something.
   714. BDC Posted: November 22, 2017 at 04:52 PM (#5580382)
Mlb.tv will pay Comcast for first tier service; springfieldk12.edu will not

My one hope is that my exciting bibliographies of baseball fiction and police procedurals use so little bandwidth that I'll never notice the Nth-tier service they're likely to get in the brave new non-neutral world.
   715. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: November 22, 2017 at 04:54 PM (#5580383)
You're out of your league here, no offense. I'm an actual working IT pro, with a poli sci degree. I have a pretty good understanding of both the political aspect and the tech aspect.

I can't determine if your an expert or not until you tell me where you went to law school.

716. madvillain Posted: November 22, 2017 at 04:58 PM (#5580385)
I can't determine if your an expert or not until you tell me where you went to law school.

David is a smart guy but a lot of smart people have no idea how the Internet works. Professionals walk into my shop every day in all fields, including law, that really have no idea how anything tech works, just that they need Outlook and the wifi and Excel working and when it doesn't they can't fix #### and come to me.

Actually, ISPs will also probably prioritize throttling non HTTP communications at times as well -- so good luck reading pulling up your exchange server via Outlook when Netflix is being piped into every home on the block around 7pm.
   717. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: November 22, 2017 at 05:00 PM (#5580386)
Ajit Pai has the biggest Backpfeifengesicht I have ever seen. Worse than pharma-bro Shkreli. And that is saying something.

Ok, I'm going to need some comparative photographic evidence for your claim here ... Shkreli might be the biggest backpfeifengesicht in the history of backpfeifengesichts ...
   718. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: November 22, 2017 at 05:07 PM (#5580389)
Why has it never happened?

because of net neutrality genius.
Sigh: once again: so-called "net neutrality" has been in place for all of two years. The FCC is not repealing some venerable regulation dating back to FDR; it's restoring the status quo as of the dark days of 2014. When broadband providers were rampantly doing absolutely none of the things you think that they would do if they were allowed, which they were.
You're out of your league here, no offense. I'm an actual working IT pro, with a poli sci degree. I have a pretty good understanding of both the political aspect and the tech aspect.
So you have no training in either law or economics. It shows.
   719. PepTech Posted: November 22, 2017 at 05:10 PM (#5580390)
So Ray, having received what appears to be a sincere apology for the hyperbole, as well as an explanation (not couched as an excuse) for the behavior... continues on the offensive.

You may not agree with the paragraph you quoted in 710, but it's not difficult to understand. Trump has now thrown his hat in the ring for Moore, saying out loud that party politics is more important than child molestation. Support for Trump now equates, at some level, with enabling child molesting. You can say it's a stretch, but saying you have "no idea" what it means is particularly disingenuous. At least Clapper is upfront about it; as far as we can tell he'd prefer Moore on SCOTUS over, say, Garland.
   720. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: November 22, 2017 at 05:10 PM (#5580391)
Associate General Counsel at Verizon, where he handled regulatory issues. Nah, nothing there at all.
Right. Nothing there. As I said, he worked there for two years, 15 years ago. So what? I didn't say he was a janitor there; I said he worked there for a short time quite some time ago.

That's not a "tie." I don't think it's like the Crips: once you join you're loyal forever (or else.) It was. Job years ago he no longer has.
   721. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: November 22, 2017 at 05:11 PM (#5580392)
Till earth and heaven ring

It's a lovely song, but if they start playing it during every seventh inning, I guarantee we'll all be sick of it in a hurry :)

I wouldn't suggest that, either, but it would make a very good national anthem for a better country than what we've got now.

And in a ballpark it would have one advantage: The minute certain people discovered its origin, it'd instantly create a far different class of protesters. (smile)
   722. Greg K Posted: November 22, 2017 at 05:12 PM (#5580393)
The stakes have been different. Women know they'll be ###### by somebody. They just have to wait, and in many cases they get to choose. Males are not so lucky. They do not know if they will have access to the garden of #######, and many don't, then and now. That is their existential struggle. Females struggle comes in making the best decision she can by leveraging that to her interest and benefit. That's a qualitative difference.

But this is sort of equating having children with life and existence. Which makes sense from a biological point of view, but I don't think that's the way most people live their lives. If we're talking about why men and women are biologically structured the way they are, sure, who gets to #### is pretty much the big question. If we're talking who gets the better deal out of the social structures those biological imperatives have helped construct, I think quality of life is a more expansive topic.

I think it also assumes that the rates of reproduction of men and women are the same now as in the past. I'm sure the ratio is still in favour of women, but is it still at the 40%/80% level? Has widespread monogamy (even nominal monogamy), especially in the West, eroded those numbers?

Again, if we're talking about the consequences of biological outcomes for thousands of years the historical ratio matters. If we're talking about, should we feel sorry for men, then I would think changes in those ratios would factor into things.

I'm reading the material you linked as a biological argument for gender hierarchies and behaviour. Which makes sense to me. But this side discussion of who deserves our pity more, men or women seems strange to me. I mean, I guess I understand the perspective that there is a pendulum out there that has swung too far in the direction of affording men zero sympathy, so it's worth fighting the good fight. But I don't really see the point in a "who has it worse" competition.
   723. The Yankee Clapper Posted: November 22, 2017 at 05:15 PM (#5580394)
Can't say I'm familiar with his work, but perhaps the lefties here have seen it - Young Turks Reporter Vows To Sue Over Firing:
An ousted reporter for the popular progressive program “The Young Turks” says he intends to sue the show over its response to sexual assault allegations leveled against him, escalating a rift between the outlet and its former employee.

Jordan Chariton, a prominent face of the YouTube-native program and a rising star in the left-wing media sphere, announced earlier this week he’d been terminated from the show on Friday, less than two days after the allegations surfaced online. On Tuesday’s broadcast, Cenk Uygur, the founder and face of “The Young Turks,” said the staff could not comment on the dispute for legal reasons.
. . .
Last week, a former employee at Truth Against the Machine, a news organization founded by Chariton, accused the former TYT reporter of sexual assault, allegations first published in HuffPost’s contributors section. The piece, written by activist Christian Chiakulas, was taken down after Chariton cast it as defamatory and false online.
. . .
“Being found guilty-by-tweet is unrecoverable. How do you have a career after that?” Chariton wrote.

Some degree of due process would seem in order, generally, in such situations, although it's not exactly clear how strong these allegations are.
   724. Ray (RDP) Posted: November 22, 2017 at 05:17 PM (#5580396)
So Ray, having received what appears to be a sincere apology for the hyperbole, as well as an explanation (not couched as an excuse) for the behavior... continues on the offensive.

"He apologized for raping you. Why are you not being gracious in accepting his apology?"

Seems rather tone deaf to me.
   725. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: November 22, 2017 at 05:19 PM (#5580397)
I posted a whole list of historic net neutrality violations dating back to well before 2014 and David sneered that it wasn't *really* net neutrality so who cares. Then he said Comcast extorting Netflix to not downgrade access to paying customers wasn't really a net neutrality concern because Netflix was rich.

Everything David knows about network technology could be airbrushed on a gnat. Given that his entire profession is one of rent-seeking middlemen I'm not surprised he's thrown his hat in with the rent-seeking middleman ISPs. "How is transferring economic rents from content producer to access provider to the detriment of the consumer?". That's the sort of blistering insight that lets him condescend to IT professionals about the economics of network management.
   726. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: November 22, 2017 at 05:19 PM (#5580398)
"He apologized for raping you. Why are you not being gracious in accepting his apology?"

Seems rather tone deaf to me.

No, equating having your position misstated with rape, is what is tone deaf. Especially given current events.
   727. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: November 22, 2017 at 05:26 PM (#5580400)
I'm guessing he went by the name of "Fred".

The Filipinos go by "Fred". The Indians go by "Ralph".
   728. PepTech Posted: November 22, 2017 at 05:30 PM (#5580401)
So if walking back his statement from 419 isn't enough (see 454), and apologizing isn't enough (700), what is it you're looking for?

And yeah, you haven't exactly been "raped", Ray. These are bits on a screen. Any sympathy you might have earned goes out the window with that analogy. "People with principles" don't equate actual physical sexual assault with the outside chance that four or five lurkers on a baseball site might misconstrue some anonymous person's political views.
   729. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: November 22, 2017 at 05:31 PM (#5580403)
These people on CNN who try to interpret Trump need to stop. Everything he says can be boiled down to either being a distraction, or a distraction. Rather than wasting time on his Twitter feud of the day, they need to keep the focus on the real things...his attempts to loot the country.
   730. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: November 22, 2017 at 05:38 PM (#5580404)
Looks like it’s Joe Barton’s turn for the daily congressional sex scandal. Although, from the sounds of it, the dick pics were consensual, but he still admitted to committing adutery.
   731. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: November 22, 2017 at 05:40 PM (#5580405)
[729] Agreed. Also, CNN going to the sports model of bringing people to argue about a topic, and often brining in people who are just there to lie, has been terrible.
   732. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: November 22, 2017 at 05:41 PM (#5580406)
Looks like it’s Joe Barton’s turn for the daily congressional sex scandal. Although, from the sounds of it, the dick pics were consensual, but he still admitted to committing adutery.

For a second I tried to imagine what a sex scandal involving Joey Barton would look like. I am still not sure, but after that, consensual dick pics seem like a huge letdown.
   733. dog poop god Posted: November 22, 2017 at 05:42 PM (#5580407)
Took my son to visit his grandparents today, so to fight off drowsiness, I had him read some OTP out loud to me. Rendered a few unusual insights...
   734. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: November 22, 2017 at 05:46 PM (#5580409)
CNN going to the sports model of bringing people to argue about a topic, and often brining in people who are just there to lie, has been terrible.

You aren't referring to that Apprentice contestant they had on today who said that Trump's feu with Lavar Ball wasn't motivated by race, are you? Because that guy had a really great point, he thought.
   735. PepTech Posted: November 22, 2017 at 05:48 PM (#5580410)
You aren't referring to that Apprentice contestant they had on today who said that Trump's feu with Lavar Ball wasn't motivated by race, are you? Because that guy had a really great point, he thought.
I am so glad I don't watch much CNN anymore. The website is bad enough.
   736. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: November 22, 2017 at 05:48 PM (#5580411)
[732] When he was going through his divorce but not legally divorced yet, he had sexual relationships with various women. At least one of them received dick pics which today found their way to the internet. I have not seen the picture in question, but people have been talking about it on Twitter.
   737. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: November 22, 2017 at 05:50 PM (#5580412)
[734] Nah, I haven’t watched CNN in a while.
   738. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: November 22, 2017 at 05:50 PM (#5580413)
If you frequent tech sites you're probably aware of the astroturfed comments flooding the FCC when they requested comments from us peasants regarding net neutrality. Complaints to the FCC, including some by people whose names had been hijacked to submit phony anti-neutrality comments, have been ignored. They might not be ignored much longer.

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman (D) is investigating what he calls a massive scheme to corrupt the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) with fake public comments on net neutrality.

In an open letter to Federal Communications Commission Chairman Ajit Pai, Schneiderman said the agency hasn't provided him with information "critical" to an investigation his office is conducting.

Schneiderman said in a tweet his office has been investigating a "massive scheme" over the last six months to "corrupt the FCC's comment process on net neutrality by impersonating 100,000s of real Americans."
   739. BDC Posted: November 22, 2017 at 05:51 PM (#5580414)
Texas media are speculating on whether a naked photo of Joe Barton could be considered "revenge porn." Revenge or not, this would seem additional confirmation of Rule 34.
   740. SteveF Posted: November 22, 2017 at 05:55 PM (#5580415)
Texas media are speculating on whether a naked photo of Joe Barton could be considered "revenge porn."

Revenge on who?
   741. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: November 22, 2017 at 05:55 PM (#5580416)
For a second I tried to imagine what a sex scandal involving Joey Barton would look like. I am still not sure, but after that, consensual dick pics seem like a huge letdown.

I'm afraid your reference is lost on these colonials here ... take it to OT-S!
   742. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: November 22, 2017 at 05:57 PM (#5580418)
Texas media are speculating on whether a naked photo of Joe Barton could be considered "revenge porn."

Revenge on who?

Anyone unlucky enough to view it?
   743. dog poop god Posted: November 22, 2017 at 05:58 PM (#5580419)
Women will never be able to subjugate men. Indeed, women still effectively exist at the sufferance of men. It's obviously very much in the interest of men that they do, but that doesn't change this fundamental primal reality.

This stopped the recitation with a WTF!?! PDQ. Perhaps the most ridiculous thing ever posted here. By anybody.

But I believe Sugar provides a valuable service in the process by exploding the usual dry back and forth that never goes anywhere, to reveal a kernel of truth -- once you spin that baby right side up.

No man -- indeed, no person -- exists except through the sufference of women through gestation. Assuming both woman and baby survive the agonizing ordeal of birth, that baby is utterly dependent upon its mother (or a mother substitute) for survival for a very long time.

Further, women are more fundamental to species survival than men, hence Morty's observation that men get the #### end of life's stick in myriad ways...

The Teeth Mother Naked at Last

744. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: November 22, 2017 at 05:58 PM (#5580420)
[732] When he was going through his divorce but not legally divorced yet, he had sexual relationships with various women. At least one of them received dick pics which today found their way to the internet. I have not seen the picture in question, but people have been talking about it on Twitter.

Joey Barton is an English footballer. Several assault convictions, spent about half a year in jail I think. Banned by the FA for gambling on matches. Brother is in jail for murder...

And those are the boring parts of his bio.

I'm afraid your reference is lost on these colonials here ... take it to OT-S!

I know, I know. Couldn't resist. And you mean OT-F! *ducks*
   745. dog poop god Posted: November 22, 2017 at 06:04 PM (#5580421)

This is one of the dominant threads you have running through the history of masculinity. The sheer insecurity of it all.

It really jumps out in the early modern world. You have a social/political system in which (in their different contexts) both patriarchs and monarchs were supposed to wield unchallengeable authority. But in practice they both operated in a cloud of deep insecurity as they quite obviously didn't have the ability to play that role. A lot of behaviour (both at the level of the state and individual men) looks like a lot of running around making grandiose claims of authority that neither they, nor their audiences, actually believe. But everyone has to pretend that rhetoric matches practice, or the whole world will fall apart.

Beautifully stated. And if people didn't get it before, our cartoon President should make these truths self-evident.

Back to the road. Later gators.
   746. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: November 22, 2017 at 06:12 PM (#5580422)
And you mean OT-F!

Of course ... I was just giving the poor sods another chance at it (since it gets called the "soccer" thread) ... wasted, really ...
   747. Hot Wheeling American Posted: November 22, 2017 at 06:29 PM (#5580423)
   748. Omineca Greg Posted: November 22, 2017 at 06:37 PM (#5580425)
Joey Barton is an English footballer.

By wife has been keeping me up to date with salacious Wayne Rooney details for months. I wonder if this will capture her fancy as well.

Neither of us all follow soccer at all, so I don't know why she cares. Or why she thinks I care, for that matter.
   749. The Yankee Clapper Posted: November 22, 2017 at 06:38 PM (#5580426)
Pre-holiday judicial confirmation update:
Current and known future vacancies: 161
Courts of Appeals: 23
District/Specialty Courts: 138

Pending nominees: 48
Courts of Appeals: 10
District/Specialty Courts: 38

Awaiting Floor Votes: 20
Courts of Appeals: 1
District/Specialty Courts: 19

Confirmed by the Senate: 14
Supreme Court: 1
Courts of Appeals: 8
District/Specialty Courts: 5

There were about 115 judicial vacancies when Trump took office, so despite Trump nominating judges a little more quickly than his predecessors, 14 confirmations hasn't even kept up with the pace of new vacancies. That will probably change over the next 6 months.
   750. Hot Wheeling American Posted: November 22, 2017 at 06:38 PM (#5580427)
As the search for a yearbook forensic expert continues for those open to the Senate candidacy of an impeached judge facing numerous credible allegations of teen molestation, perhaps this is a preview of what we can expect from those here ‘just saying’:

@mitchellvii
Moore's 14 year old accuser claims his assault on her lead to a life of bad behavior, but we find the custody hearing he met her at was because her mother wanted to give her up to her father for BAD BEHAVIOR. She was already a head case before she even met Moore (if she did).
   751. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: November 22, 2017 at 06:42 PM (#5580429)
By wife has been keeping me up to date with salacious Wayne Rooney details for months.

There are salacious Wayne Rooney details for months?

Do tell ... lord know he hasn't done anything interesting of note for Everton on the field this season ...
   752. Omineca Greg Posted: November 22, 2017 at 06:46 PM (#5580431)
Do tell...

What's the matter, mate? You let your Daily Mail subscription lapse?
   753. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: November 22, 2017 at 06:47 PM (#5580432)
Only RayRay falls for the "Daily Fail" around these parts ...
   754. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: November 22, 2017 at 06:50 PM (#5580434)
Sigh: once again: so-called "net neutrality" has been in place for all of two years. The FCC is not repealing some venerable regulation dating back to FDR; it's restoring the status quo as of the dark days of 2014. When broadband providers were rampantly doing absolutely none of the things you think that they would do if they were allowed, which they were.

Because the GD internet is a relatively new technology.... and dedicated service providers using dedicated lines instead of the old AOL/Prodigy/etc dial-up piggybacking on phone lines is newer still.

If you want valid comparisons, you have to compare the advent of the telephone followed by the regulatory oversight that stopped providers from prioritizing people calling other callers within their own systems.

How many times do we have to go over this?

It's ALL just ones and zeroes. Where it comes from doesn't matter, what it is doesn't matter.... all that matters to an ISP is the packet size. There is absolutely, positively zero reason to oppose net neutrality. All it does is require the ISP to respect the core technology and disallow them from doing nothing more than making a fast buck off a content provider.
   755. Omineca Greg Posted: November 22, 2017 at 06:56 PM (#5580435)
Only RayRay falls for the "Daily Fail" around these parts ...

I know, I know, whenever he links there, which is often, I always get waylaid into looking at celebrities' baby bumps. I don't know why, they're always English celebs and I don't know who they are, or care who they are, but you promise me a picture of a baby bump, I'll click.

Just today, Casey Batchelor's baby bump. I don't even know who that is, but...I was compelled to click through and see her baby bump.

It's people like me who are ruining the internet.
   756. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: November 22, 2017 at 07:01 PM (#5580438)
Just today, Casey Batchelor's baby bump.

Somebody who is a celebrity because she was on Celebrity Big Brother. Which should tell you everything you need to know about her talent, and the quality of Celebrity Big Brother.

I know, I know, whenever he links there, which is often, I always get waylaid into looking at celebrities' baby bumps. I don't know why, they're always English celebs and I don't know who they are, or care who they are, but you promise me a picture of a baby bump, I'll click.

You are entitled to your fetish man. No kink-shaming here.
   757. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: November 22, 2017 at 07:15 PM (#5580442)
Which should tell you everything you need to know about her talent, and the quality of Celebrity Big Brother.

He did warn you ...

It's people like me who are ruining the internet.

:)
   758. Omineca Greg Posted: November 22, 2017 at 07:23 PM (#5580446)
You are entitled to your fetish man. No kink-shaming here.

Real Life Conversation:

My Wife: Do you know your father goes to the Daily Mail and looks at pregnant women?

My Son: Really??!! Why would he do that? The Mail's terrible, if that's his thing he should find something more reputable, like a fetish site.

My Wife: He says he doesn't go on purpose. He says someone on the baseball board he frequents always links there.

My Son: Really??!! Some English dude links to the Mail? On the baseball board?

My Wife: No, this is where his story gets dodgy. The guy who links there is a patent lawyer. From Manhattan.

My Son: Geez Mom, if I were you, I'd be hurt. He doesn't even respect you enough to come up with a half-way decent lie. Do you need me to sort him out for you?

My Wife: Oh, you're such a good boy. No, we'll let him have his fun. Marriage is all about compromise.

My Son: OK....but if you change your mind, just let me know.

My Wife: Oh, you're such a good boy.
   759. Jay Z Posted: November 22, 2017 at 07:26 PM (#5580447)
But this is sort of equating having children with life and existence. Which makes sense from a biological point of view, but I don't think that's the way most people live their lives. If we're talking about why men and women are biologically structured the way they are, sure, who gets to #### is pretty much the big question. If we're talking who gets the better deal out of the social structures those biological imperatives have helped construct, I think quality of life is a more expansive topic.

Well even there the differences are substantial. Men and women just have completely different motivations as how they go about their lives.

We're running a decades long social experiment that women constantly have to be encouraged to do all of these things that men have done so we can achieve the goal of androgynous equality. I think our biologies have other ideas.
   760. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: November 22, 2017 at 07:31 PM (#5580452)
Do you need me to sort him out for you?

I assume the Canadian version of "sorting him out for you" involves sitting a guy down at Tim Horton's while both people exchange "I'm sorry"s with slightly different intonations, until they end up hugging it out.
   761. dog poop god Posted: November 22, 2017 at 07:52 PM (#5580456)
Moore's 14 year old accuser claims his assault on her lead to a life of bad behavior, but we find the custody hearing he met her at was because her mother wanted to give her up to her father for BAD BEHAVIOR. She was already a head case before she even met Moore (if she did).

They #### you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were ###### up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another’s throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don’t have any kids yourself.
   762. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: November 22, 2017 at 07:58 PM (#5580458)
Hey net neutralinos, no need to worry about the Republican assault on FCC-enforced net neutrality. We all know Republicans hate Big Gummint mandates. States' rights and local control, that's where it's at! We'll just use our local electoral might to....Oh.

After the FCC began its assault on net neutrality earlier this year, several cities and states began looking into ways to protect consumers on their own. Unfortunately, the FCC has decided that it won’t allow that to happen: as part of its proposal to repeal net neutrality, the commission is trying to use its authority to preempt any and all state and local net neutrality regulations.

The commission intends to block any local laws or regulations that “effectively impose rules or requirements that we have repealed or decided to refrain from imposing in this order or that would impose more stringent requirements for any aspect of broadband service that we address in this order.

Yeah, you hicks can't be trusted to not ruin the internet with your neutrality.
   763. Morty Causa Posted: November 22, 2017 at 08:17 PM (#5580461)

You be surprised at how many people think this priority number one. But be that as it may, and if what you hold here has some validity, we still must keep in mind that our biological structure is not just our physical organs but also includes its excrescences and emanations, such as our brain, it’s mental traits, the psychology created and constrained, as well as our drives, some which may have the force of imperatives, even if you think they aren’t imperatives.

I think it also assumes that the rates of reproduction of men and women are the same now as in the past. I'm sure the ratio is still in favour of women, but is it still at the 40%/80% level? Has widespread monogamy (even nominal monogamy), especially in the West, eroded those numbers?

The exact figures I would have to research, if they exist. I think there are indications that both males and females are not be having children as much, but the decrease is much greater for males. Why? I remember something Steven Pinker wrote somewhere during the Clinton scandal: if Johnny Carson (or whoever) monopolizes the child-bearing years of 5 women, it ineluctably follows that some men will be shafted. (And they will be pissed, even if they don’t link that as a cause for their anger and resentment.)

Again, if we're talking about the consequences of biological outcomes for thousands of years the historical ratio matters. If we're talking about, should we feel sorry for men, then I would think changes in those ratios would factor into things.

Yes, it would, along with a host of other things that I hinted at in another post, which, as I said, always brings out the stillness in people’s responses.

I'm reading the material you linked as a biological argument for gender hierarchies and behaviour. Which makes sense to me. But this side discussion of who deserves our pity more, men or women seems strange to me. I mean, I guess I understand the perspective that there is a pendulum out there that has swung too far in the direction of affording men zero sympathy, so it's worth fighting the good fight. But I don't really see the point in a "who has it worse" competition.

Kind of late to bring in a “never mind all that,” when that has been the pervasive pretext of feminism for decades, isn’t it? Let’s not talk about how you have it bad. Let’s just talk about how I have it bad.

If a woman gets goosed, heads have got to roll If thousands of men get raped (real rape) in prison, meh and ho hum and “look at the ducks.”

If we’re going to have true sex/gender equality, fairness and justice, let’s put all on the table.

EDIT: Funny, how we (not just women, but men, too) have no capacity to sympathize with men. When we're asked to, suddenly it becomes, let's not make invidious comparisons that would not redound to the advantage of females. When we argue relative advantages and disadvantages that accrue to the sex, we only look at how bad women have it and how good mend have it (some men, very few men). End of discussion.
   764. Morty Causa Posted: November 22, 2017 at 08:18 PM (#5580462)
761:

One of Larkin's most striking poems.
   765. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: November 22, 2017 at 08:18 PM (#5580463)
AG Healey was on the radio today talking about neutralizing the FCC's attempts. I bet she'll file a lawsuit over this. She's our next governor, you wait and see.
   766. Infinite Yost (Voxter) Posted: November 22, 2017 at 08:33 PM (#5580464)
David is a smart guy but a lot of smart people have no idea how the Internet works.

Meh. He strikes me as one of those kind-of-smart guys who isn't smart enough to understand -- or even contemplate -- the idea that he might be wrong about something.
   767. The Yankee Clapper Posted: November 22, 2017 at 08:42 PM (#5580470)
AG Healey was on the radio today talking about neutralizing the FCC's attempts. I bet she'll file a lawsuit over this. She's our next governor, you wait and see.

I doubt you're going to see state regulation of the Internet. Classic example of federal preemption.
   768. The Yankee Clapper Posted: November 22, 2017 at 08:48 PM (#5580472)
Two more women have accused Al Franken. Photo op butt groping.
   769. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: November 22, 2017 at 09:02 PM (#5580474)
[741] When I read your post, I still didn’t realize he was referring to a soccer player, so my immediate thought was that OT-S meant off topic sex. And yes, I know that we don’t have an off topic sex here.
   770. Infinite Yost (Voxter) Posted: November 22, 2017 at 09:13 PM (#5580478)
Two more women have accused Al Franken. Photo op butt groping.

I've been saying this for a few days, but Franken has to go.
   771. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: November 22, 2017 at 09:32 PM (#5580481)
Rep. John Conyers' attorney says the Michigan Democrat won't quit: "If everybody facing 'allegations' -- including the President, members of the House and Senate -- resigned, we'd have a lot of unemployed people walking around."

Just as I said before, congress doesn't want these guys to quit because tons of these guys know they're guilty, too. We'll have to retire these ######## at the ballot box.
   772. Lassus Posted: November 22, 2017 at 09:59 PM (#5580491)
I was involved in a sports discussion tonight. What would you rather watch, hockey or volleyball (non-beach)? For me it was the latter in a walk.
   773. Lassus Posted: November 22, 2017 at 10:10 PM (#5580493)
Also, Jennifer Lawrence has split from 48-year-old Darren Aronofsky. He's even older than I am, so I MUST have a chance!

Not sure why RMZ.com didn't catch that one. Not enough liberals?
   774. PreservedFish Posted: November 22, 2017 at 10:18 PM (#5580494)
I prefer watching volleyball.

Hockey is just about my least favorite sport.
   775. Howie Menckel Posted: November 22, 2017 at 11:00 PM (#5580500)
Hockey is just about my least favorite sport.

I grew up playing pond hockey so I get the sport, but I appreciate that it's a very tough game to pick up later and on TV.

is worth going to a good NHL game if possible - that explains part of it.
and a good playoff game? you'll need to sleep in the next day.
OT? beware of hyperventilating
   776. PreservedFish Posted: November 22, 2017 at 11:04 PM (#5580501)
Yes, I've been to hockey games and I agree, more fun live. Volleyball is probably also more fun live.
   777. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: November 22, 2017 at 11:05 PM (#5580502)
My Wife: Do you know your father goes to the Daily Mail and looks at pregnant women?

I've been scrolling the thread bottom to top, and for a minute there I was wondering why anyone would add a "Daily" to "mall". I was picturing this dude wandering over to the mall and checking out the bulging bellies, and occasionally making an inevitable congratulatory slipup.
   778. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: November 22, 2017 at 11:17 PM (#5580504)
Hockey is just about my least favorite sport

Hockey's the sport whose skill set I admire the most of any sport, while wanting to watch it the least.

Well, I might take it over soccer, but that's about it. Too much randomness in both of them, waiting for someone to score is like having an appointment where you have to be there at the crack of dawn and then they keep you waiting around all day but you never know for how long. Back and forth, back and forth, change of possession, change of possession, and if you're lucky after about 30 shots on the goal you might actually see a goal.
   779. Chicago Joe Posted: November 22, 2017 at 11:46 PM (#5580506)
women still effectively exist at the sufferance of men.

LOL.
   780. Lassus Posted: November 22, 2017 at 11:47 PM (#5580507)
Well, I might take it over soccer, but that's about it.

Hockey was a sport invented for areas where the weather was too shitty for soccer.
   781. The Yankee Clapper Posted: November 23, 2017 at 12:32 AM (#5580511)
Another accusation against Conyers, from a fairly well known former staffer:
A high-profile Washington lawyer specializing in congressional ethics said Wednesday that Rep. John Conyers Jr. (D-Mich.) harassed and verbally abused her when she worked for him on Capitol Hill in the 1990s and that her repeated appeals for help to congressional leadership were ignored.

“There was nothing I could do to stop it,” Melanie Sloan said in an interview. “Not going to leadership, not going to my boss, not going to a women’s group, not going to a reporter. I was dismissed and told I must be mentally unstable.”

Sloan, the former executive director of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW), was hired by Conyers in 1995 as minority counsel to the House Judiciary Committee, where he served as the ranking Democrat. She held the job until 1998.

During that time, Sloan said, she witnessed and experienced behavior by Conyers similar to episodes described in claims against him that on Tuesday prompted the House Ethics Committee to open an investigation. … On one occasion, she said, he summoned her to his Rayburn Building office, where she found him in his underwear.
. . .
Sloan said she complained repeatedly about Conyers’s behavior to her supervisor and contacted a senior staff member in the office of then-Rep. Richard A. Gephardt (D-Mo.), the House minority leader at the time.

The underwear bit … dare we say … not a good look?
   782. Morty Causa Posted: November 23, 2017 at 02:09 AM (#5580516)
704:

Too allusive. What's your point?
   783. Barnaby Jones Posted: November 23, 2017 at 02:13 AM (#5580517)
How is transferring economic rents from content producer to access provider to the detriment of the consumer?

Has Netflix raised prices since Comcast shook them down? Yes. Has Comcast lowered prices? No. Would you say the net effect there was a benefit or a detriment to those consumers who have no real options but Comcast?

The claim that "this has never been a problem and the rules are new" is bizarre.

(A) These are new technologies and issues, so yeah, the rules are new too. This is a patently silly criticism.

(B) Net Neutrality was not invented 2015. By claiming this, David seems like he has no idea what he is talking about. Let's look at the timeline:

- 2004 - DSL deregulation and more or less the start of the "broadband era." FCC lays out net neutrality principles as part of their basic guidelines.
- 2005-2007: Comcast secretly throttles content they don't like (BitTorrent).
- 2008: FCC says, "No, you have to have net neutrality," Issues cease-and-desist
- 2009-2010: Comcast sues to keep the right to throttle and wins.
- 2010: FCC issues Open Internet Order to bring back some of the net neutrality rules using existing legislation.
- Jan 2014: Verizon sues saying they shouldn't have to follow net neutrality because they aren't a common carrier. Court agrees, and says to keep the existing rules, FCC must classify ISPs as common carriers.
- May 2014: FCC votes to allow fast lanes in light of the new ruling. Everyone gets mad because this would be a new thing that sucks.
- Nov 2014: Obama/Wheeler says, enough of this ####. Make them common carriers.
- 2015: FCC switches to Title 2 classification codifying existing rules and stopping fast lanes before they can ever exist.
- 2017: Everything Donald Trump's administration turns to garbage. Libertarians don't remember anything that happened before this year.

The key take away here is the rules were not made up in 2015. They have been around as long as we have had broadband; however, the ISP keep trying to overturn them. The 2015 common carrier classification was just the latest step to formalize the existing rules.

If you think, "hey, I haven't had any problems thus far," then you should be in favor of Title 2 classification.

(C) For years now, Comcast et al. have been introducing datacaps. At the same time they are pushing their own streaming services. Sans net neutrality, the next move is obvious: Xfinity on demand doesn't count against your datacap, but Netflix (or Amazon or whatever) does. Unless, they pay up of course. Either way, the consumer loses.
   784. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: November 23, 2017 at 03:12 AM (#5580518)
Has Netflix raised prices since Comcast shook them down? Yes. Has Comcast lowered prices? No.
That might be the dumbest, most dishonest argument ever raised on this issue, and that's saying a lot. Netflix changed its business model and changed its pricing structure, including -- as your own link notes -- in Europe, where Comcast does not operate and where net neutrality regulations are in effect.

And Comcast did not, of course, "shake down" Netflix; it's a business and it charged them what the market would bear.
Would you say the net effect there was a benefit or a detriment to those consumers who have no real options but Comcast?
There are few such people. Even for people who have only one broadband provider -- and that's only a small percentage of the population until you get to the highest speeds -- they also have multiple options for mobile internet access.

(A) These are new technologies and issues, so yeah, the rules are new too. This is a patently silly criticism.
It's a patently made up criticism; I don't know who or what you're quoting. In fact, these rules aren't new, they're outdated New Deal crap invented to control Ma Bell back when it was a monopolist, now applied in an absurdly different context. Nobody has criticized the rules for being new; people have criticized the rules for being dumb and unnecessary.
(B) Net Neutrality was not invented 2015. By claiming this, David seems like he has no idea what he is talking about. Let's look at the timeline:
The concept of "net neutrality" was not invented in 2015, true. Nobody claimed it was.. And, yes, the FCC had indeed tried to impose it by fiat several times -- and had been slapped down each time because it had no authority to do so (at least not the way it was doing it). No such rules were ever in legal effect. Reclassifying Internet service as a Title II service was indeed something from 2015, and is indeed what was reversed by the FCC.

- 2017: Everything Donald Trump's administration turns to garbage. Libertarians don't remember anything that happened before this year.
The FCC is an independent agency. This isn't the Trump administration.

(C) For years now, Comcast et al. have been introducing datacaps. At the same time they are pushing their own streaming services. Sans net neutrality, the next move is obvious: Xfinity on demand doesn't count against your datacap, but Netflix (or Amazon or whatever) does. Unless, they pay up of course. Either way, the consumer loses.
No, they don't. Consumers win when they have more choice about what they want to buy and pay for. (But, again, that's a dispute between content producers and ISPs, that have tricked leftists into thinking is about consumers.)
   785. Barnaby Jones Posted: November 23, 2017 at 07:22 AM (#5580522)
That might be the dumbest, most dishonest argument ever raised on this issue, and that's saying a lot.

Well, now you've hurt my feelings.

And Comcast did not, of course, "shake down" Netflix; it's a business and it charged them what the market would bear.

Comcast (and others) throttled Netflix's service unnecessarily until they paid extra fees. You can call it whatever you want, but it is a perfect example of what people are worried about.

There are few such people. Even for people who have only one broadband provider -- and that's only a small percentage of the population until you get to the highest speeds -- they also have multiple options for mobile internet access.

A) The most recent numbers from the FCC say only 22% of census blocks have more than one broadband (25+ mbps) provider operating in them. (link).
B) Equating mobile data plans to wired broadband access is not a serious rebuttal. Or alternately, it fundamentally misses the point of contention.

It's a patently made up criticism; I don't know who or what you're quoting. In fact, these rules aren't new, they're outdated New Deal crap invented to control Ma Bell back when it was a monopolist, now applied in an absurdly different context.

You said: so-called "net neutrality" has been in place for all of two years.

Net neutrality /= ISPs having common carrier status. "The rules" referred to the former, which has been in place since the aughts, not the latter, which was a recent change (using an old mechanism) in response to court rulings. You seem to be equating the two erroneously. Maybe that's the root of your confusion on this issue?

No such rules were ever in legal effect.

Legal or not, they have been in practical effect, with the FCC announcing them and ISPs following them (most of the time). This is all that matters for the "everything has been fine so far" argument, which you've said repeatedly. Net neutrality rules have been the status quo.

Trump appointed Pai the chairperson and gave his old seat to another Republican, giving the party 3 seats on the 5 member FCC. They immediately start moving to repeal net neutrality. This is happening as a direct result of his election and appointments; it certainly wouldn't be happening if Hillary had won and kept Wheeler on.
   786. Greg K Posted: November 23, 2017 at 07:34 AM (#5580523)

You be surprised at how many people think this priority number one. But be that as it may, and if what you hold here has some validity, we still must keep in mind that our biological structure is not just our physical organs but also includes its excrescences and emanations, such as our brain, it’s mental traits, the psychology created and constrained, as well as our drives, some which may have the force of imperatives, even if you think they aren’t imperatives.

Certainly, I was including mental traits within those biological imperatives.

Speaking of the social function of insecurity, in the dichotomy of risk-taking male and passive/play-it-safe female, there seems like an intuitive argument to see freedom (in its vaguest of general senses) as a virtue which provides a social function to men who have to go out there and make a name for themselves. Individual sovereignty in (and credit for) your actions is part of the drive.

But how ideas and biological forces like that adapt themselves into social and political systems don't seem especially clean, and can, at times, be counter-intuitive. The biological social function of the virtue might get all mixed together with the inherent virtue of the virtue itself (to be a bit awkward). So freedom evolves as a exclusive biological imperative, but the expression of that virtue in social or cultural terms becomes so successful that everyone wants in. I think throughout history societies have taken behavioural biological imperatives or virtues and adapted and applied them in all sorts of counter-productive (from a biological point of view) ways.

As for feeling sorry for men, I guess I'm just in my own little bubble. I spent about four years of my life studying early modern masculinity and ended up producing a thesis that takes one of the more reviled men in British history and gives him a sympathetic reading based on the pressures of manhood (with insecurity playing a large role). In a sense, my professional career is founded on the distinct anxieties and pressures placed on men, even in a society far more male-dominated than our own. So I tend to think of this as all well-trod ground. But I may be living in my own echo chamber of the academic study of gender that bears no relationship to wider society.
   787. simon bedford Posted: November 23, 2017 at 08:12 AM (#5580526)
Greg K
So was it Jimmy Saville or Benny Hill?
   788. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: November 23, 2017 at 08:35 AM (#5580527)
Comcast (and others) throttled Netflix's service unnecessarily until they paid extra fees. You can call it whatever you want, but it is a perfect example of what people are worried about.

I'd prefer to call it what it is - Rent-seeking behavior:

Rent-seeking implies extraction of uncompensated value from others without making any contribution to productivity. The classic example of rent-seeking, according to Robert Shiller, is that of a feudal lord who installs a chain across a river that flows through his land and then hires a collector to charge passing boats a fee (or rent of the section of the river for a few minutes) to lower the chain. There is nothing productive about the chain or the collector. The lord has made no improvements to the river and is helping nobody in any way, directly or indirectly, except himself. All he is doing is finding a way to make money from something that used to be free.
   789. dog poop god Posted: November 23, 2017 at 08:44 AM (#5580528)
I'm not following closely -- how is internet services provided by Comcast and others like a river flowing through their property? Can you just get rid of ISPs problem solved?
   790. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: November 23, 2017 at 08:46 AM (#5580529)

And what would you have said about the Supreme Court if FDR's court packing plan had succeeded?
   791. manchestermets Posted: November 23, 2017 at 08:48 AM (#5580530)
Just today, Casey Batchelor's baby bump. I don't even know who that is

I'm English, and I don't know who that is.
   792. Lassus Posted: November 23, 2017 at 08:49 AM (#5580531)
All he is doing is finding a way to make money from something that used to be free.

Libertarian godhood.
   793. manchestermets Posted: November 23, 2017 at 08:54 AM (#5580532)
All he is doing is finding a way to make money from something that used to be free.

Hmm. I mean, technically, the thing that Comcast tries to charge Netflix for was not previously free - it was paid for by the fees paid by Comcast's customers. So it's not so much "transferring economic rents from content producer to access provider" as it is charging an additional rent to the content provider. As if, say, the landlord of a rented property attempted to charge the USPS to deliver mail to the tenants living in that property. The fact is, the existence of Netflix is a benefit, not a cost to Comcast, as it incentivises people to buy services from Comcast.
   794. Greg K Posted: November 23, 2017 at 09:00 AM (#5580533)
Greg K
So was it Jimmy Saville or Benny Hill?

Jamie Oliver.
   795. dog poop god Posted: November 23, 2017 at 09:04 AM (#5580535)
If we’re going to have true sex/gender equality, fairness and justice, let’s put all on the table.

How would you ever have such a thing? You make a lot of sound arguments for the materialist basis of reality, then start in with special pleading for men. While males often have it rougher than females (for instance, male gender socialization is enforced at school-age, female at puberty), but as Greg argues (I think) with that socialization comes greater freedom.

I believe I am ready to concede the "power, not facts/truth/evidence" as the basis for politics and other social organization -- though all of that again follows from the biological facts. Society is changing rapidly due to a variety of environmental factors. I read that something like 25% of teenagers have chosen to identify out of "straight" male/female sexual relations, undoubtedly under population pressures and sexual competition. Which is a positive sign that they are adapting rapidly to reality instead of clinging to some romantic ideal that'll never happen.

Face it, pretty much every single one of us here is a dinosaur. Might as well sit back and enjoy the downslope towards extinction.
   796. simon bedford Posted: November 23, 2017 at 09:07 AM (#5580537)
Greg K
dinner for 5 pounds my hind leg!
I was thinking it was probably Oswald Mosley?
   797. RobertMachemer Posted: November 23, 2017 at 09:18 AM (#5580539)
Diego Simeone?
   798. Greg K Posted: November 23, 2017 at 09:32 AM (#5580541)
George Villiers, Duke of Buckingham

Who I suppose may not be universally reviled. But he's reviled by pretty much every historian who studies the early 17th century. Though his biographer, Roger Lockyer who just passed away, was notably sympathetic.

His notoriety was sufficient to get him a heel role in The Three Musketeers.

Which isn't to say he wasn't a disaster. Dumas' portrayal of him as a pampered dandy who started a war with France because he felt like it is only a slight exaggeration. In the course of negotiating a Anglo-French alliance he did manage to get himself permanently banished from French soil for his sexual advances on the French Queen. Which is not what you call successful statesmanship in the conventional sense.

But I do feel for the poor guy.
   799. BDC Posted: November 23, 2017 at 09:39 AM (#5580543)
banished from French soil for his sexual advances on the French Queen

Did he tell her she was in great physical shape?
   800. Morty Causa Posted: November 23, 2017 at 09:52 AM (#5580544)
Page 8 of 12 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty
for his generous support.