Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, January 22, 2018

OTP 22 January 2018: What the Baseball Hall of Fame can teach us about elections

Would ballot-box behavior change if people knew more precisely how their fellow citizens planned to vote?

It’s a question that still haunts Democrats as they continue staring daggers at their friends who went third party in November 2016. But it’s also an experiment being carried out in real time by the Baseball Writers Association of America as members prepare to elect at least three and as many as five retired greats to the Hall of Fame later this

The association’s complicated voting rules work like this: Eligible players need 75 percent of the vote to win election. Those receiving less than 5 percent get kicked off the ballot; those between rejection and enshrinement can stay on the ballot for up to 10 years. And voters can support up to 10 candidates.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 22, 2018 at 08:44 AM | 4563 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: hall of fame, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 7 of 46 pages ‹ First  < 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last ›
   601. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 23, 2018 at 04:18 PM (#5612007)
I think Muse are more a combo of Depeche Mode (musically) and U2 (bombast).

That sounds about right to me.

Not a huge fan, but Muse actually was the last "arena venue" show I saw... yes, it was for a lady. I remained as not a huge fan after as I was before, but I'd agree with Gonfalon (and maybe Lassus?) - I think there's some salvageable stuff there.
   602. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 23, 2018 at 04:21 PM (#5612011)
Women and independent voters fuel Democrats' midterm advantage

This far ahead of the 2016 election we were repeatedly lectured that women voters virtually guaranteed Hillary Clinton being elected President.
   603. ^^^ Posted: January 23, 2018 at 04:21 PM (#5612012)
The first two Boston albums are simply awesome.
   604. reech Posted: January 23, 2018 at 04:23 PM (#5612014)
I saw Muse over the summer at an amphitheater on Long Island- very entertaining.
plus they played a Cramps cover- which was extremely surprising.
   605. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 23, 2018 at 04:25 PM (#5612015)
Supermassive Black Hole is the sequel to OK computer that pretends Kid A never happened.
   606. Lassus Posted: January 23, 2018 at 04:27 PM (#5612017)
Muse's fusion of progressive rock, electronica, and Radiohead-influenced experimentation have helped them sell millions of records and top charts worldwide.

Man, I really do not hear it. At all. Radiohead has always sounded infinitely more (rock) twee to me. And Radiohead never sounded as in love with themselves as much as Muse did. (Not to be confused with the bands' respective fans, who generally have the opposite quality.) Bellamy has always shown off his musicianship (which outpaces Depeche Mode - who I was a fan of) in the manner of a massive space opera, ala Queen. Honestly, the reason I loved Muse in the first place was due to them reminding me of Queen.

Lastly, it was the late lamented BASEBALL TOASTER where I was turned on to Muse.
   607. Joe Bivens Recognizes the Kenyan Precedent Posted: January 23, 2018 at 04:28 PM (#5612020)

Oh dear god you have poor taste.
   608. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 23, 2018 at 04:29 PM (#5612022)
The Dittohead Right is desperately searching for a new scapegoat to blame their boobery on.
Have they found it in the "Deep State"?

He added, “Just what if, the quote-unquote intelligence community misrepresented on purpose the degree to which the Hussien had WMDs. Because I tell you it was a very, very embarrassing moment for the Bush administration.”“What if the intel on the War in Iraq was another disinformation campaign to damage another Republican president?” Limbaugh pondered. “And boy did that work!”.”

The Party of Stupids.
   609. zenbitz Posted: January 23, 2018 at 04:29 PM (#5612023)
And I kind of like Boston. A little. In small doses

perfect radio band
   610. zenbitz Posted: January 23, 2018 at 04:30 PM (#5612024)

Didyaknow... the Cramps fan club was founded by Morrissey?
   611. gef the talking mongoose, amorphous lefty blob Posted: January 23, 2018 at 04:31 PM (#5612025)
I saw Muse over the summer at an amphitheater on Long Island- very entertaining.

For which they've done a video, I see.

Pretty cool. Something tells me they discovered the song via the Jesus & Mary Chain's cover back in '94, though.
   612. Count Posted: January 23, 2018 at 04:31 PM (#5612026)
Neil Young is the greatest musician of all time (in that he is my favorite and my taste is correct).
   613. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 23, 2018 at 04:31 PM (#5612027)

They work as well as quadratic equations can possibly work as music, I'll give them that.
   614. BrianBrianson Posted: January 23, 2018 at 04:32 PM (#5612028)
Boston is a great CD for the car when you want to drive responsibly.

Just like Prozzak's Hot Show* is an excellent CD for the car when you want to drive irresponsibly.

(*For the Americans - don't ever bother with a Prozzak album other than Hot Show, though Hot Show is phenomenal. They put 130% of their lifetime talent into that album.)
   615. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: January 23, 2018 at 04:33 PM (#5612029)
Honestly, the reason I loved Muse in the first place was due to them reminding me of Queen.

Well, they certainly have the overdubbing thing down.
   616. gef the talking mongoose, amorphous lefty blob Posted: January 23, 2018 at 04:33 PM (#5612030)
Boston is a great CD for the car when you want to drive responsibly.

"Drive responsibly" & "nod off at the wheel" seem mutually exclusive to me.
   617. Lassus Posted: January 23, 2018 at 04:38 PM (#5612032)
Boston I remember primarily as the band I made fun of my GF in college for liking.

618. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: January 23, 2018 at 04:39 PM (#5612033)
TIL (actually yesterday but whateves) that in Red Barchetta - "the Motor Law" is a ban of all motor vehicles, and this is another dystopian future song (like 2112 or Red Sector A! Huh. Does that even change the meaning of the song? (the rest of the lyrics strongly support his... I didn't realize it was a "gleaming alloy air car" that was 2 lanes wide.
Not sure what TIL means, but red barchetta was based on a short story about a future in which the only cars allowed were the massive, armored (so theoretically "safer") air cars. (Pretty cool article- the guy who wrote the story was a Rush fan and had heard the song on the radio and noted similarities but didn't know it was based on his story until many years later).

IMHO the meaning of the song is not changed much; the moral of the book is that Government regulations can have unintended consequences; the regulations are just more dystopian in the song. The song also never mentions where the air cars come from, if all cars are illegal, or whatever (or does being an aircar make them legal? I dunno). The salient point of "The Trees" is that yes, the Oaks get cut down, but the Government cuts the Maples down, too.

Better not to think too hard about it.

I love Rush, and like U2, but don't really think they are comparable. That's like like comparing scotch whiskey to red wine, imho. Radiohead/muse would be Kool-Aid in that analogy, I guess.
   619. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 23, 2018 at 04:40 PM (#5612034)
Jason will be arguing that any pushback to the narrative linked to @608 is “gaslighting” him within the week.
   620. Lassus Posted: January 23, 2018 at 04:43 PM (#5612035)
Here ya go, nerds:

2113: Stories Inspired by the Music of Rush
Kevin J. Anderson - editor
The music of Rush, one of the most successful bands in music history, is filled with fantastic stories, evocative images, thought-provoking futures and pasts. In this anthology, notable, best-selling, and award-winning writers each chose a Rush song as the spark for a new story, drawing inspiration from the visionary trio Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Neil Peart.

Enduring stark dystopian struggles or testing the limits of the human spirit, the characters populating 2113 find strength while searching for hope in a world that is repressive, dangerous, or just debilitatingly bland. Most of these tales are science fiction, but some are fantasies, thrillers, even edgy mainstream. Many of Rush's big hits are represented, as well as deeper cuts...with wonderful results. This anthology also includes the seminal stories that inspired the Rush classics "Red Barchetta" and "Roll the Bones", as well as Kevin J. Anderson's novella sequel to the groundbreaking Rush album 2112.
(Emphasis mine.)
   621. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: January 23, 2018 at 04:43 PM (#5612036)
Neil Young is the greatest musician of all time (in that he is my favorite and my taste is correct).

Rush cover of Mr. Soul
   622. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 23, 2018 at 04:46 PM (#5612037)
He added, “Just what if, the quote-unquote intelligence community misrepresented on purpose the degree to which the Hussien had WMDs. Because I tell you it was a very, very embarrassing moment for the Bush administration.”“What if the intel on the War in Iraq was another disinformation campaign to damage another Republican president?” Limbaugh pondered. “And boy did that work!”.”

Let the GOP healing continue, I guess.
   623. BDC Posted: January 23, 2018 at 04:48 PM (#5612039)
Somehow I remember Boston as a band that only existed in the form of studio recordings. Maybe even recorded track by track by individual members and then processed, without the band ever playing all together live (one assumes they had all actually met at some point, though even that …) Could that have been true initially? A little Googling revealed that they went on tour quickly enough and are inevitably still on tour though several of them are dead.
   624. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 23, 2018 at 04:49 PM (#5612041)
Jason will be arguing that any pushback to the narrative linked to @608 is “gaslighting” him within the week

He’s probably lighting his gas right now.
   625. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 23, 2018 at 04:54 PM (#5612044)
Somehow I remember Boston as a band that only existed in the form of studio recordings. Maybe even recorded track by track by individual members and then processed, without the band ever playing all together live (one assumes they had all actually met at some point, though even that …) Could that have been true initially? A little Googling revealed that they went on tour quickly enough and are inevitably still on tour though several of them are dead.

With Tom Scholz in the captain's chair... yes, this exactly. He's a mathematician's musician.

Sometimes I feel a little guilty for giving Boston so much grief - beyond a few assistant engineers I'm sure he's driven crazy, he seems like a very nice guy and there's no doubting his pure technical skill in production.

Ultimately, though - he's primarily useful just in case the machines take over the world and we end up in a Loser Leaves the Planet contest where a human and an AI have to create a rock and roll song that will be judged by some supercomputer. In such a circumstance - we should definitely tab Tom and his band to represent us.
   626. Shredder Posted: January 23, 2018 at 04:55 PM (#5612045)
Man, I really do not hear it. At all. Radiohead has always sounded infinitely more (rock) twee to me. And Radiohead never sounded as in love with themselves as much as Muse did.
Part of it may be a voice thing. I think I know of like one Muse song, but when I first heard it, I though it was a new project from the guy that fronted Paloalto, a name which, maybe coincidentally, maybe not, that band shared with a Radiohead B-Side (which weirdly does not appear anywhere on youtube). Paloalto's first single, Sonny, came out right around the time Kid-A came out, and at first I thought it may have been new Radiohead, because they also sounded a lot like Radiohead. Long story short, Paloalto sounded like Radiohead and, Muse sounded like Paloalto. So by the transitive property, Muse kinda sounded like Radiohead.

On a side note, I saw Paloalto open for Supergrass a couple times. They were pretty much James Grundler and whatever backing band he had at that time. They were supporting a new album that had maybe one very minor hit (Breathe In). If you were in that crowd and had ever heard a Paloalto song, it was Sonny, and the dude just refused to play it. Someone even called it out and he gave the guy a dirty look and shook his head. I realize that bands get tired of playing the same hit songs over and over, but dude, you've got two albums that few people have heard, you're trying to make a connection, as opener, with a crowd that has maybe heard one song, and you refuse to play it? It's like he was trying to fail.
   627. gef the talking mongoose, amorphous lefty blob Posted: January 23, 2018 at 04:56 PM (#5612047)
A little Googling revealed that they went on tour quickly enough and are inevitably still on tour though several of them are dead.

How could they tell?
   628. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 23, 2018 at 04:57 PM (#5612049)
Ultimately, though - he's primarily useful just in case the machines take over the world and we end up in a Loser Leaves the Planet contest where a human and an AI have to create a rock and roll song that will be judged by some supercomputer. In such a circumstance - we should definitely tab Tom and his band to represent us.

I think I saw that movie in the 80s.
   629. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 23, 2018 at 04:58 PM (#5612050)
A little Googling revealed that they went on tour quickly enough and are inevitably still on tour though several of them are dead.

How could they tell?

Peace of mind?
   630. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 23, 2018 at 04:58 PM (#5612051)

I think I saw that movie in the 80s.

It was based on a Rush album.

And Styx did the soundtrack.
   631. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 23, 2018 at 05:07 PM (#5612055)
Illegal alien is a perfectly valid term, conveying a person's precise status - a non-citizen who entered the country illegally. It's no wonder that those who prefer that the immigration laws not be enforced want to fuzz that up with various euphemisms suggesting the person may have merely misplaced their papers or somehow possesses positive qualities, but no one has to accept that spin. "Use my new euphemism or I'll call you a bigot" is a laughable argument, but Andy makes it yet again, claiming he's merely using "neutral" language, while distributing his all too familiar insults for those who don't share his view. Sad.

Since when is "DACA recipient" not a specific category of people who are the current focus of debate? Besides the fact that it's hardly a "new" terms, it's also not a euphemism for anything. "Illegal alien" is a much broader category of people, and reducing DACA recipients to that term, above and beyond the clear pejorative intent, is a bit like saying that "ballplayers" won the 2017 World Series.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Dittohead Right is desperately searching for a new scapegoat to blame their boobery on.
Have they found it in the "Deep State"?

I knew that sooner or later we'd starting talking about the real Rush, and not some singer.

The Party of Stupids.

Well, at least Rush wasn't claiming that the Hussein with WMDs was Barack Hussein Obama. That practically qualifies him as a statesman in the party where JE and Clapper dwell.
   632. PepTech, Intermittently Stable Genius Posted: January 23, 2018 at 05:25 PM (#5612065)
Maybe even recorded track by track by individual members and then processed,

With Tom Scholz in the captain's chair... yes, this exactly. He's a mathematician's musician.
I had always heard Scholz played all the instruments on all the songs on the first album, but that may be apocryphal.
   633. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 23, 2018 at 05:29 PM (#5612066)
Since when is "DACA recipient" not a specific category of people who are the current focus of debate?

We can compromise by describing those individuals as illegal aliens admitted under Obama's DACA Executive Order. Entirely accurate, and giving "credit" where credit is due. Fair Enough?
   634. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 23, 2018 at 05:30 PM (#5612069)
Since when is "DACA recipient" not a specific category of people who are the current focus of debate? Besides the fact that it's hardly a "new" terms, it's also not a euphemism for anything. "Illegal alien" is a much broader category of people, and reducing DACA recipients to that term, above and beyond the clear pejorative intent, is a bit like saying that "ballplayers" won the 2017 World Series.

But you're not arguing that "illegal alien" is too broad; you're arguing -- you do it again right above -- that it's a pejorative. That it has a negative connotation. Etc. (You also argued nonsensically on the last page that illegal alien is the most unsympathetic description imaginable. Wherever one stands on this little dustup that's clearly not true.)

The term is ubiquitous in US law -- cases, codes, regulations. It accurately depicts that people are here illegally.

Your game as ever is to browbeat people into using your preferred language rather than neutral language, to obscure the fact that the people being discussed are here illegally. But I know; you're not sayin' that people using that term are racists. You're just sayin' it.
   635. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 23, 2018 at 05:36 PM (#5612073)
Since when is "DACA recipient" not a specific category of people who are the current focus of debate?

We can compromise by describing those individuals as illegal aliens admitted under Obama's DACA Executive Order. Entirely accurate, and giving "credit" where credit is due. Fair Enough?

Works for me. And I assume Andy will readily agree, seeing as he wanted laser-focused specificity.
   636. reech Posted: January 23, 2018 at 05:36 PM (#5612074)

Didyaknow... the Cramps fan club was founded by Morrissey?

I thought it was the New York Dolls fan club that he founded. I learn something new every day!
   637. ^^^ Posted: January 23, 2018 at 05:40 PM (#5612075)
The Boston live show from June 17, 1979 at the Meadowlands is on YouTube in its entirety. While certainly not its primary appeal, the clip has the extra added advantage -- and free of charge! -- of being taken at the virtual peak of American civilization. Quibbles can of course be had about precise dating, but perhaps the beginning of the downturn in Carter's polling numbers after the short-term boost they got from his July 1979 energy speech (*) represents the true Peak.

(*) Referred to falsely as the "malaise" speech.
   638. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: January 23, 2018 at 05:41 PM (#5612079)
Works for me. And I assume Andy will readily agree, seeing as he wanted laser-focused specificity.
Change "admitted" to "received consideration", since they were already here at the time of the EO, right?
   639. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 23, 2018 at 05:46 PM (#5612081)
Change "admitted" to "received consideration", since they were already here at the time of the EO, right?

No, many would have been turned around right at the border prior to Obama's E.O.
   640. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: January 23, 2018 at 05:58 PM (#5612083)
No, many would have been turned around right at the border prior to Obama's E.O.
That doesn't make sense, since his EO only covered people who were in the country prior to (and who lived here continuously since) 2007, right?
   641. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 23, 2018 at 05:59 PM (#5612084)

Well, it certainly sounds like something that a third string Republican lawyer might try to offer as a talking point in order to pretend that he's got a trace of sympathy for the people in question.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But you're not arguing that "illegal alien" is too broad; you're arguing -- you do it again right above -- that it's a pejorative. That it has a negative connotation. Etc. (You also argued nonsensically on the last page that illegal alien is the most unsympathetic description imaginable. Wherever one stands on this little dustup that's clearly not true.)

The term is ubiquitous in US law -- cases, codes, regulations. It accurately depicts that people are here illegally.

Ray, sometimes I think you need a one word dictionary where "context" is defined on every page.

In some contexts "illegal alien" is indeed simply prescriptive. I've used it myself as recently as a few hours ago, in #486. As a general term for undocumented immigrants, IMO it's virtually interchangeable, even if most people on both sides don't seem to view it that way. You can call a horse a steed, or you can call a steed a horse, but they amount to the same thing.

But reducing a specific subgroup of illegal alients like DACA recipients to their narrowest and most negative status, and then claiming it's merely descriptive----You're not even fooling yourself when you try to pretend that it's not being used pejoratively. When you're incorporating the sort of language used by nearly every immigrant basher in the country, you might want to consider the company you're keeping.

Your game as ever is to browbeat people into using your preferred language rather than neutral language, to obscure the fact that the people being discussed are here illegally. But I know; you're not sayin' that people using that term are racists. You're just sayin' it.

You can use whatever term you wish, but if the shoe fits.....

And how is "DACA recipients" not a neutral term? Christ, even your uber-racist president uses it when he brings his teleprompter to the podium. Even Donald Trump will occasionally bow down to civility within certain settings, but apparently you think that this would compromise your linguistic purity.
   642. Laser Man Posted: January 23, 2018 at 06:00 PM (#5612085)
To qualify under Obama's 2012 Executive Order, applicants had to have entered the USA before their 16th birthday and prior to June 2007.
   643. PepTech, Intermittently Stable Genius Posted: January 23, 2018 at 06:01 PM (#5612086)
Now I'm getting confused. I thought "DREAMers" referred to those minors who came in anytime after around 2001 or 2003 or whenever it was. Whereas "DACA Recipients" would be accurate for post Obama EO, it wouldn't apply back to Bush's first term.

So DACA Recipients is a late-coming subset of DREAMers, who are themselves a subset of all "illegals". Unless that's wrong too?
   644. Lassus Posted: January 23, 2018 at 06:06 PM (#5612087)
Ursula K. LeGuin has passed.

sigh
   645. SteveF Posted: January 23, 2018 at 06:07 PM (#5612088)
The NY Times has been defining the term 'Dreamers' as 'the young immigrants brought to the United States illegally as children' when they introduce it and proceed to use it in their news articles.

I think it's a pretty absurd term to use in news content, but there you have it.
   646. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 23, 2018 at 06:10 PM (#5612089)
And how is "DACA recipients" not a neutral term?

Asked and answered multiple times.
   647. ^^^ Posted: January 23, 2018 at 06:10 PM (#5612090)
DACA represents the type of expansive executive act of dubious constitutionality that very much smacks of an Imperial President. As with the dangers of the national security state, actual liberals shudder at an Imperial presidency.
   648. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 23, 2018 at 06:11 PM (#5612091)
More judicial nominations today, mostly District Court Judges and one for the 6th Circuit. Many of the remaining Circuit Court vacancies are associated with states with one or more opposition party Senators, so the nomination process is trickier, and typically can involve some compromises or package deals. Hasn't been that much leaked about such negotiations, yet, but quite a few of those vacancies occurred before Inauguration Day, and we are probably reaching the point where there will either be a deal or Trump will go ahead and nominate his own choice.
   649. Lassus Posted: January 23, 2018 at 06:12 PM (#5612092)
Asked and answered multiple times.

I've been busy. Got a post #? Multiples?
   650. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 23, 2018 at 06:12 PM (#5612093)
The only Ursula I'm aware of still lives.
   651. gef the talking mongoose, amorphous lefty blob Posted: January 23, 2018 at 06:13 PM (#5612094)

sigh

Damn. Haven't read her in forever -- The Dispossessed, probably around '77, not too long after Left Hand of Darkness -- but what a giant in the field.

ETA: And The Lathe of Heaven, her PKD novel, probably 4 or 5 years after that.

652. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 23, 2018 at 06:15 PM (#5612095)
I've been busy. Got a post #? Multiples?

Summary of what I've already said: It's not neutral because it elides the fact that the people are here illegally.

Now, why Andy et al equate "people are here illegally" with "they are bad people" is beyond me; "here illegaly" is a simple description of fact. And I've said we can add "by virtue of DACA," or words to that effect.
   653. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: January 23, 2018 at 06:16 PM (#5612097)
Senate confirms Powell to replace Yellen. Seems like a decent, even boring, choice.

Agree with 645, I'm not sure what the point is in referencing the DREAM act. I guess to keep the memory alive; it's been five years since it was last proposed, and was filibustered successfully even though a majority of citizens as well as both representatives and senators wanted it to pass. Sad.
   654. SteveF Posted: January 23, 2018 at 06:19 PM (#5612098)
Seems like a decent, even boring, choice.

Boring is good. We need more boring in our government right now.
   655. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 23, 2018 at 06:20 PM (#5612099)
To qualify under Obama's 2012 Executive Order, applicants had to have entered the USA before their 16th birthday and prior to June 2007.

Yes, #639 conflated that with other Obama Adminsitration actions making it easier for unaccompanied minors to claim political asylum or refugee status.
   656. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 23, 2018 at 06:25 PM (#5612101)

Obstructionist Chuck Schumer should have blocked her.
   657. zenbitz Posted: January 23, 2018 at 06:32 PM (#5612102)
TIL that TIL means "Today I Learned"
   658. zenbitz Posted: January 23, 2018 at 06:33 PM (#5612103)
love Rush, and like U2, but don't really think they are comparable. That's like like comparing scotch whiskey to red wine

No, that's UB40.
   659. zenbitz Posted: January 23, 2018 at 06:34 PM (#5612105)
I thought it was the New York Dolls fan club that he founded. I learn something new every day!

It would not shock me if it was both. I mean, you have to be special kind of person to form fan clubs for (pseudo) punk rock bands.
   660. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: January 23, 2018 at 06:35 PM (#5612107)

First Rush, and now Slayer is calling it quits. And Neil Diamond. WTF.
   661. zenbitz Posted: January 23, 2018 at 06:37 PM (#5612108)
Somehow I remember Boston as a band that only existed in the form of studio recordings.

But...but... they were dancin' in the streets of Hyannis!

PEOPLE STOOD IN LINE AND DIDN'T SEEM TO MIND.
   662. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 23, 2018 at 06:37 PM (#5612109)
As with the dangers of the national security state, actual liberals shudder at an Imperial presidency.

Coup! Coup! Coup!
   663. reech Posted: January 23, 2018 at 06:43 PM (#5612111)
First Rush, and now Slayer is calling it quits. And Neil Diamond. WTF.

It seems 2018 is all about calling it a career before croaking (ie: Petty, Lemmy, Prince, Bowie).

664. tshipman Posted: January 23, 2018 at 06:45 PM (#5612112)
Senate confirms Powell to replace Yellen. Seems like a decent, even boring, choice.

Powell is a bad choice. Concerned about inflation when it's sub 2%.

If we're the greatest country in the world, we should have the greatest monetary policy in the world. BoE pulled Mark Carney from the minor leagues. Powell is not an awful choice, which might be expected from Trump, but he is a bad choice.
   665. PepTech, Intermittently Stable Genius Posted: January 23, 2018 at 06:47 PM (#5612113)
Upon being asked about Trump speaking directly with Mueller,
Sanders added: "Frankly, this administration, we've said it time and time before, there was no collusion and there's nothing to it. We're ready to move on. Clearly the American people are."
I'm sure the bolded portion is true. That's one sentence out of three; par for this administration's course.
   666. zenbitz Posted: January 23, 2018 at 06:48 PM (#5612114)
Speaking of dystopian futures and aging rock stars (not to mention sci fi authors) ... I wonder what the last generation of humans to get old and die will be? Over/Under has to be about 3. Assuming generations are 20 years.

Man, questions like these make me miss snapper.

EDIT: POST NUMBER LOTTO JACKPOT.
   667. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 23, 2018 at 06:49 PM (#5612116)
Interesting that we're simultaneously hearing about:
*Sessions' interview with Mueller (last week);
*and also Comey's interview with Mueller (in December);
*as well as Trump's attempted firing of FBI Deputy Director (and corroborating Comey witness) Andrew McCabe, which led to Director Wray's threat to resign if he did so.
Come(d)y is timing.

All of it coming to light at the same time that Trump's lawyers are trying, and failing to downgrade Trump's upcoming Mueller interview to written responses. Well, Trump's first interview with Mueller.

Add in the Pennsylvania gerrymandering decision that's going to swing 3 to 4 House seats, and this would be a wonderful week even if the GOP passed seven consecutive one-day funding resolutions with "DACA stinks" written on the cover pages.
   668. tshipman Posted: January 23, 2018 at 07:07 PM (#5612122)
Interesting that we're simultaneously hearing about:
*Sessions' interview with Mueller (last week);
*and also Comey's interview with Mueller (in December);
*as well as Trump's attempted firing of FBI Deputy Director (and corroborating Comey witness) Andrew McCabe, which led to Director Wray's threat to resign if he did so.
Come(d)y is timing.

Explains why all Jason and Clapper want to talk about are judges and Devin Nunes's memo.
   669. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: January 23, 2018 at 07:10 PM (#5612127)
Now, why Andy et al equate "people are here illegally" with "they are bad people" is beyond me; "here illegaly" is a simple description of fact. And I've said we can add "by virtue of DACA," or words to that effect.
Part of it is that "illegal" implies criminality.

il·le·gal.
[i(l)ˈlēɡəl]
ADJECTIVE
1.contrary to or forbidden by law, especially criminal law:
"Illegal entry" and "reentry after prior removal" are crimes, and so people who sneak across the border or who come back after being deported would be accurately called "illegal immigrants".

However, (according to the ACLU), the act of being present in the United States in violation of the immigration laws is NOT a crime. Something like half of undocumented people here did not enter illegally, and very few DACA recipients entered illegally. So it's (charitably) inaccurate and (uncharitably) misleading to call them "illegal aliens".

A better term might be "unauthorized" aliens. Maybe "un-visa'd aliens"? "People with no home to go to who were brought here as children and don't even speak polish"?
   670. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 23, 2018 at 07:18 PM (#5612129)

Yes, and who would ever want to favor criminals over Honest Citizens. First the IRS steals your life, and then criminals steal your jobs, or is it the other way around?
   671. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 23, 2018 at 07:23 PM (#5612131)
Pat Meehan's excuse over his "OH that harassment claim" is a beaut.

As I understand it doesn't count because they were soul mates and it was just Obamacare stress that caused him to lash out over her rejection of him, thus causing her claim.

It's got a little Newt Gingrich AND a little Mark Sanford AND a little Blake Farenthold.
   672. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: January 23, 2018 at 07:26 PM (#5612133)
It's got a little Newt Gingrich AND a little Mark Sanford AND a little Blake Farenthold.

reddit and elsewhere have entire threads dedicated to mocking this sort of "nice guy" behavior. One of the calling cards of the type is getting stupidly angry when the object of their affection dates someone else.
   673. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 23, 2018 at 07:27 PM (#5612134)
First the IRS steals your life,

Roughly only a third of it, but who's not counting?

It's interesting how the people who pay the least in taxes complain the most about the people who pay the most in taxes.
   674. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: January 23, 2018 at 07:28 PM (#5612135)
It implies that it's against the law, which is not the same thing. Workplace sexual harassment is illegal; it's not criminal.
   675. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 23, 2018 at 07:30 PM (#5612137)
Re: #671:

Zonk--
You weren't moved by Rep. Meehan writing to the young woman he paid off in taxpayer dollars, and describing his torrent of emotions about the way some things have a way of ending "so sadly and abruptly" for soldiers and romantics alike, as he fingered two unfamiliar dead names engraved on the Vietnam Memorial?

The good news is that he intends to stay put and run for his Pennsylvania House seat. Even if the district is shaped a little different this November.
   676. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 23, 2018 at 07:35 PM (#5612140)
Zonk--
You weren't moved by Rep. Meehan writing to the young woman he paid off in taxpayer dollars, and describing his torrent of emotions about the way some things have a way of ending "so sadly and abruptly" for soldiers and romantics alike, as he fingered two unfamiliar dead names engraved on the Vietnam Memorial?

I'm still trying to figure out how one can have a "soul mate" who doesn't reciprocate affections... "Mate" would seem a necessary part of the concept.
   677. Greg K Posted: January 23, 2018 at 07:36 PM (#5612141)
It's interesting how the people who pay the least in taxes complain the most about the people who pay the most in taxes.

I think you mean it's ironic, don't you think?
   678. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 23, 2018 at 07:40 PM (#5612142)
Too bad nobody's ever made a movie about an IRS Commissioner who yaps about having "neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the free society that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way." That speech really impresses some impressionable people.
   679. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 23, 2018 at 07:42 PM (#5612143)
Some have better staff than others . . . Two Staffers Plead Guilty To Spreading Explicit Videos Of Congresswoman:
Two former staffers for Del. Stacey Plaskett (D) of the Virgin Islands pleaded guilty Tuesday to charges stemming from their circulation of sexually explicit photos and videos of the delegate and her husband.

Juan McCullum, 36, of Washington, D.C., pleaded guilty to conspiracy to disclose sexual images and attempted first-degree unlawful publication of a sexual image, according to a release from the U.S. Attorney's Office in D.C. Dorene Browne-Louis, 45, of Marlboro, Md., pleaded guilty to one federal cyber charge and a D.C. charge of conspiracy to disclose sexual images.
. . .
He came into possession of the private images of Plaskett, according to court documents, after offering to take the delegate's malfunctioning, password-protected iPhone to an Apple store in March 2016 to get it repaired. Plaskett gave the password for the phone to the Apple store for the purpose of getting the phone, which contained private, nude images, repaired, the release said.

In July 2016, after leaving Plaskett's office, he created a Hotmail account and Facebook social media account, using a false name, to distribute and post the images and videos, according to the U.S. Attorney's office. He also encouraged others to redistribute the content in the delegate's district.

We can all be grateful that BBTF fave Madeleine Albright served before cell phone cameras were ubiquitous.
   680. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 23, 2018 at 07:49 PM (#5612144)
Because some people read this website at work or in their house of worship, I can only post a screen capture from the very beginning of Madeleine Albright's sex tape, before things get too steamy and NSFW (Not Safe For Wantingtogoonliving).

Albright is on the right, and of course that's Sen. Rick Santorum in one of his special love outfits.
   681. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 23, 2018 at 08:21 PM (#5612154)

While some of those who have the most money seem to concern themselves with whether those with the least money have the nerve to own a cellphone.
   682. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 23, 2018 at 08:28 PM (#5612155)
It's interesting how the people who pay the least in taxes complain the most about the people who pay the most in taxes

It think it’s curious that people who owe every single aspect of their professional livelihood to the existence and oppressive enforcement mechanisms of government constantly complain about the oppressive enforcement mechanisms of the government. But here we are.
   683. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 23, 2018 at 08:39 PM (#5612161)
It think it’s curious that people who owe every single aspect of their professional livelihood to the existence and oppressive enforcement mechanisms of government constantly complain about the oppressive enforcement mechanisms of the government. But here we are.

Hell, if it weren't for copyright or patent laws that are enforced by the oppressive federal government, Ray might be either a tennis pro, the Nolan Ryan of fast pitch softball, a centerfold model for Playgirl, a professional sabermetrician, or homeless.
   684. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 23, 2018 at 08:45 PM (#5612165)
No, he's not Herman Wouk's Captain Queeg. Captain Queeg had a distinguished Navy career before he started counting strawberries. Trump skips straight to the strawberries.

Trump asked the acting FBI director whom he voted for during Oval Office meeting

Shortly after President Trump fired his FBI director in May, he summoned to the Oval Office the bureau’s acting director for a get-to-know-you meeting.

The two men exchanged pleasantries, but before long, Trump, according to several current and former U.S. officials, asked Andrew McCabe a pointed question: Whom did he vote for in the 2016 election?

McCabe said he didn’t vote, according to the officials, who, like others interviewed for this article, spoke on the condition of anonymity to talk candidly about a sensitive matter....

McCabe, who has spent more than two decades at the bureau, found the conversation with Trump “disturbing,” said one former U.S. official. Inside the FBI, officials familiar with the exchange expressed frustration that a civil servant — even a very senior agent in the No. 2 position — would be asked how he voted and criticized for his wife’s political leanings by the president.

One person said the Trump-McCabe conversation is of interest to special counsel Robert S. Mueller III.

The encounter is also the latest example of Trump erupting at a senior official, whether it is at Attorney General Jeff Sessions for recusing himself from the Russia probe or White House counsel Donald McGahn for not doing more to quash the investigation early on.

The White House and the FBI declined to comment....
   685. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: January 23, 2018 at 08:50 PM (#5612167)

winner!
   686. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 23, 2018 at 08:55 PM (#5612172)

winner!

Well, what do you expect? He roots for America's team. He ain't no stinkin' Budshevik.
   687. Morty Causa Posted: January 23, 2018 at 09:01 PM (#5612174)
   688. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 23, 2018 at 09:24 PM (#5612179)
It's interesting how the people who pay the least in taxes complain the most about the people who pay the most in taxes

Like that Warren Buffet free loader!
   689. Lassus Posted: January 23, 2018 at 09:39 PM (#5612183)
I'm trying to think of a good reason why Michigan State shouldn't be ####### shuttered for their role in Nassar's crimes, and I'm not really coming up with anything.
   690. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: January 23, 2018 at 09:43 PM (#5612184)
Biden confirms reports McConnell blocked Obama from warning Americans about Russian election interference
A slightly more accurate headline would be, "Biden recites Democratic talking points." He can't "confirm" those reports, because they aren't true, because McConnell could not and did not do any such thing. At any point, Obama could have said whatever he wanted. He chose not to. It had nothing to do with McConnell, given that Obama's attitude towards Republicans in Congress for 8 years was FYTW; he repeatedly said, "Do what I want or I'll do it without you." (E.G. the illegal aliens that Andy is so obsessed with.)
   691. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 23, 2018 at 09:56 PM (#5612188)
#690:
Obama's attitude towards Republicans in Congress for 8 years was FYTW; he repeatedly said, "Do what I want or I'll do it without you."

It's like being in a time machine, reliving everything just the way it happened.

Also, didja ever notice that when you're stuck on a slow line in a store, and you switch lines, the line you were on always starts moving faster?
   692. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 23, 2018 at 10:01 PM (#5612191)
Kenyan. Muslim. Socialist. Tyrant.

Why *wouldn’t* you suppress evidence of Russian election interference given such a monstrous enemy?
   693. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 23, 2018 at 10:14 PM (#5612197)
Senate Democrats apparently don't think as highly of their Schumer Shutdown Strategy as BBTF-OTP Team Blue - Dems Sour On Shutdown Tactics:
Senate Democrats say there’s no appetite in their caucus for forcing another government shutdown if Republicans refuse to agree to an immigration deal by a March 5 deadline. Democratic senators who are mulling presidential bids in 2020 haven’t yet entirely backed away from shutdown threats, which could help them rev up support among the party base, but other Democrats have soured on it as a tactic.
. . .
Asked about the prospect of Democrats blocking a funding bill again to pressure Republicans to agree to an immigration deal, Sen. Jon Tester (D-Mont.) said, “I wouldn’t anticipate that would be the case at all.” A third Democratic senator said, “My instinct is a shutdown is off the table.”
. . .
Aside from that small group, there’s growing sentiment among Senate Democrats that they exposed themselves politically by blocking a four-week spending bill on Friday because it didn’t help Dreamers.

The problem is that much of the Democratic base wants to go to the mattresses for a legislative DACA fix, but appear unwilling to offer Trump or the GOP much with respect to other immigration issues. Congressional Democrats don't have the clout to insist on getting their way - they'll have to compromise or go without.
   694. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: January 23, 2018 at 10:24 PM (#5612200)
Clapper you ain't coming with the breaking legal news tonight?

Former Trump campaign aide Rick Gates has quietly added a prominent white-collar attorney, Tom Green, to his defense team, signaling that Gates' approach to his not-guilty plea could be changing behind the scenes.

From #693:
A third Democratic senator said, “My instinct is a shutdown is off the table.”

God, with instincts like his who needs the GOP?

695. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 23, 2018 at 10:28 PM (#5612202)
Clapper you ain't coming with the breaking legal news tonight?

Why would I care about Rick Gates?
   696. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: January 23, 2018 at 10:32 PM (#5612203)
Why would I care about Rick Gates?

ha, one could guess!

he's a real character tho:

Rick Gates, a former Trump campaign adviser who faces federal criminal charges in special counsel Robert Muller's investigation, is now facing questions from a federal judge about his arrangement with a Washington lobbyist known for supporting a conspiracy theory on the killing of Democratic National Committee staffer Seth Rich.

Probably just brought coffee to the meetings, the collusion meetings that is.
   697. Shredder Posted: January 23, 2018 at 11:14 PM (#5612210)
Probably just brought coffee to the meetings, the collusion meetings that is.
Are you talking about Rick Gates, or the Hapless Rick Gates?
   698. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 23, 2018 at 11:54 PM (#5612216)
How does Chuck Schumer manage to keep his grandma glasses at the tip of his nose without them falling over the cliff?
   699. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 24, 2018 at 12:03 AM (#5612218)
Senator Tammy Duckworth is preggers...

Binyamin Appelbaum‏Verified account @BCAppelbaum

"No sitting senator has ever given birth" is a pretty good one-line explanation for our nation's parental leave and childcare policies.

700. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 24, 2018 at 12:12 AM (#5612219)
Senator Tammy Duckworth is preggers...

Binyamin Appelbaum‏Verified account @BCAppelbaum

"No sitting senator has ever given birth" is a pretty good one-line explanation for our nation's parental leave and childcare policies.

So we can't just be happy about the milestone. We have to defame the country in a drive-by while recognizing the milestone.

How DO you people go through life in such an insufferable fashion?
Page 7 of 46 pages ‹ First  < 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
phredbird
for his generous support.