Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, September 25, 2017

OTP 25 September 2017: CC Sabathia won’t visit the White House if the Yankees win the World Series

Ballplayers, however, will likely continue to speak up. The latest: Yankees starter CC Sabathia, who was asked yesterday whether he would visit the White House if the playoff-bound Yankees won the World Series. From the Daily News:

“Never. I just don’t believe in anything that is Trump. So there wouldn’t be any reason for me to go at all. I just think it’s stupid. I just think it’s dumb that he’s addressing players and stuff that he shouldn’t be. But it is what it is, and that’s the country we live in these days . . . I’m proud of the way that everybody has Steph’s back and just athletes in general these days, the way everybody has been stepping up has been great.”

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 25, 2017 at 07:41 AM | 1989 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: cc sabathia, politics, yankees

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 7 of 20 pages ‹ First  < 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last ›
   601. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: September 26, 2017 at 12:39 PM (#5539238)
I admit I am quite enjoying your turn at deciding citizenship of the US doesn't mean anything. It doesn't really square with your previously trolled opinions regarding immigration (legal and not legal), economics, foreign aid, or much of anything but it is a nice chance of pace.

No, it doesn't mean anything to *you* with respect to things like employment. That's why the chuckles are so simple.

Ohio auto industry worker loses his job? Who cares, what about the Bangladesh workers?

Puerto Rico gets hit by hurricanes? CARE, DAMMIT -- THEY'RE US CITIZENS!!!!

The really funny thing is that you don't really even know you're being entirely inconsistent, since your style is pretty much to simply utter whatever banality happens to come into your head about an issue, both as thesis and support. So one day citizenship is critical and/or dispositive, the next day it's meaningless what about Bangladesh????
   602. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 26, 2017 at 12:40 PM (#5539239)
Just when there was some honest-to-God momentum going, he shot hisself in the foot.

It is in his nature. He is not going to change. And honestly even his "good" run is really just not being terrible over a stretch of time. His political genius is ill suited to being President, even if it got him elected to that office.

It is not just a lack of accomplishments (though there is that), but he has helped maneuver the GOP into a position that a huge number of current elected officials are living in a state of semi-permanent stress. They have the entire GOP brand going in the toilet which really harms the vulnerable members, and the "safe" members of the GOP have to worry about primary challenges from their right. And of course everyone has to worry that the donors are getting annoyed and have (supposedly) shut off the money spigot until results arrive.
   603. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: September 26, 2017 at 12:40 PM (#5539241)
So what's left?

A murder of Pirates
A century of Cubs
A drawerfull of White Sox
a subcontinent of Indians
a pride of Yankees
   604. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 26, 2017 at 12:42 PM (#5539244)
A murder of Pirates

How about a Loot of Pirates?
   605. Omineca Greg Posted: September 26, 2017 at 12:45 PM (#5539248)
They put béarnaise sauce on everything...again, you won't see me complaining, that stuff is pure awesomeness, but still it's pretty intense.

OK, I was just killing some time. I have to get a prescription filled, but if you go the pharmacy too soon after it opens, you get caught in the line with all the heroin addicts getting their methadone. But I should be good now.
   606. Swoboda is freedom Posted: September 26, 2017 at 12:45 PM (#5539249)
How about a Loot of Pirates?

A cove of Pirates?
A treasure of Pirates?
plank of Pirates?
jolly of pirates?
   607. Covfefe Posted: September 26, 2017 at 12:47 PM (#5539251)
It should a Six of Mariners...
   608. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: September 26, 2017 at 12:47 PM (#5539252)
I don't know that there's ever been a better example of dissent being branded and commodified -- and at land speed world record -- than Jerry Jones kneeling before the national anthem last night.

When everyone kneels, no one kneels.
   609. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: September 26, 2017 at 12:54 PM (#5539259)
I bought it for my GF, who has Nordic roots. She hates it, and Nordic food.

I think smoked cod roe on hard-boiled eggs isn't half-bad.
   610. PreservedFish Posted: September 26, 2017 at 01:00 PM (#5539262)
I just opened up the book at random and fell on a recipe for beer soup. Sounds interesting, right? But it's basically just a roux with beer added to it. That sounds gross.
   611. simpleton & childlike gef the talking mongoose Posted: September 26, 2017 at 01:03 PM (#5539265)
What's up with all the salt they use? We had meals that would have been perfectly lovely, but were very nearly inedible with the amount of salt. My wife still uses the euphemism "Swedish" for something that's too salty, as in...

"How's that new Tim Hortons sandwich?"

"Way too Swedish!"

I'm reading a book on salt's role in world history even as I type. Well, not really, but I'll be picking it up again as soon as I'm home after work.
   612. PreservedFish Posted: September 26, 2017 at 01:08 PM (#5539268)
It could be that, given the long harsh winters up there, they rely on salt as a preservative to a greater degree than most other areas. And as such they develop a tolerance and taste for it and begin just salting everything heavily.
   613. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 26, 2017 at 01:12 PM (#5539272)
I don't see how we're in conflict, really. Unless you're saying that the NFL stuff is less shooting himself in the foot than it was a strategy.
Yes. You were saying that he had good momentum and then stepped all over it with a "stupid, needless" NFL twitter war. I'm saying that it was a (well, it was stupid) useful NFL twitter war to distract from bad news.
   614. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 26, 2017 at 01:16 PM (#5539276)
I'm saying that it was a (well, it was stupid) useful NFL twitter war to distract from bad news.

I mostly agree, but like I said Trump's particular political genius is horribly suited to being President.
   615. BrianBrianson Posted: September 26, 2017 at 01:26 PM (#5539282)
It could be that, given the long harsh winters up there, they rely on salt as a preservative to a greater degree than most other areas.

Long, harsh winters make preserving stuff easier. It pretty much does the work for you.
   616. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: September 26, 2017 at 01:27 PM (#5539286)
Trump's particular political genius is horribly suited to being President.

He's only interested in making sure that he makes as much money as he can.
   617. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: September 26, 2017 at 01:30 PM (#5539289)
While being interviewed after his testimony before the House committee, Roger Stone just touted an article he wrote for Infowars. WHEEEEEEEEEEE! Infowars.
   618. Ray (RDP) Posted: September 26, 2017 at 01:34 PM (#5539295)
I'm saying that it was a (well, it was stupid) useful NFL twitter war to distract from bad news.

I mostly agree, but like I said Trump's particular political genius is horribly suited to being President.

That must be why he ordered his administration to refuse to send federal aid to Puerto Rico.
   619. Lassus Posted: September 26, 2017 at 01:34 PM (#5539296)
It could be that, given the long harsh winters up there,

I thought we had stopped talking about Syracuse.
   620. Rickey! the first of his name Posted: September 26, 2017 at 01:34 PM (#5539297)
I see that the resident idiot-cum-trolls are up to their usual "I can't read so I'll make up #### and pretend that's what they said tricks."
   621. Morty Causa Posted: September 26, 2017 at 01:36 PM (#5539298)
Whether Trump is racist or not is almost beside the point. Even irrelevant and immaterial, as TV law-talking guys say. Other people only exist for him to use them to aggrandize himself. Thus, in some situations at some times he'll be racist here; another place, another time, there. He instinctively keeps his eye on the prize--keeping Donald Trump first and foremost at all times.
   622. Rickey! the first of his name Posted: September 26, 2017 at 01:39 PM (#5539300)
I thought we had stopped talking about Syracuse.

I hear upstaters taste of salt.
   623. PepTech Posted: September 26, 2017 at 01:40 PM (#5539301)
Yes. You were saying that he had good momentum and then stepped all over it with a "stupid, needless" NFL twitter war. I'm saying that it was a (well, it was stupid) useful NFL twitter war to distract from bad news.
I think it's both. This is the topic of Cilizza's latest opinion piece, as well.

I agree with you that he's used it to distract from bad news, and further agree that it's a strategy he's used before, and probably will again. And has been repeatedly pointed out, he's POTUS and I'm not, so he's clearly playing the game better than I am.

But then again, I'm not actually playing, it's not a game (well, not to Puerto Ricans), and it sure seems like there would be more effective ways to address PR than another round of NFL tweets. How about one message along the lines of "Americans have come to the aid of their own twice already this summer, and those suffering in PR need us again. The will and generosity of the American people knows no limits!" or something like that? Too many characters, I suppose.

Looking Presidential at a natural disaster does a relatively decent job of deflecting from the health care imbroglio.
   624. Morty Causa Posted: September 26, 2017 at 01:40 PM (#5539302)
Rickey! and the Mouse are like Taz and Yosemite Sam playing Poncho and Cisco. It's Dr. Strangelove/Catch 22 lunacy and absurdity. But, for some reason, some take them seriously.
   625. PreservedFish Posted: September 26, 2017 at 01:41 PM (#5539303)
Long, harsh winters make preserving stuff easier. It pretty much does the work for you.

Come on.

The average high temperature in Stockholm in January is 33. You can't just throw a leg of reindeer in a cave and assume it will stay frozen and safe for the next 5 months.
   626. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: September 26, 2017 at 01:47 PM (#5539304)
What do you Trumpies think about Trump's recent tweet that Iran fired a test missile? The missile that was launched years ago, but Trump said it just happened. What about that?
   627. BDC Posted: September 26, 2017 at 01:48 PM (#5539307)
Most of what I've had to eat in Denmark is pretty much like what I grew up eating in the American Midwest – with the exception of smoked and pickled fish, though those are not unknown in Chicago either.

The food I most associate with Denmark is hot dogs.
   628. PepTech Posted: September 26, 2017 at 01:50 PM (#5539310)
That must be why he ordered his administration to refuse to send federal aid to Puerto Rico.
Either this is actually true, and you are aware of it from some source, or you are sarcastically claiming that someone - anyone - has claimed this. Either way, citation needed.

Also, find some cites prior to 474 that blame the lack of PR response, specifically, on racism. Oh, that's right, you can't, because you make stuff up.

629. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 26, 2017 at 01:51 PM (#5539311)
Looking Presidential at a natural disaster does a relatively decent job of deflecting from the health care imbroglio.

Yes, and it has the benefit of possibly being helpful. Raising awareness and all that. Maybe next President.

But hey talking about PR is kind of depressing, how about some humor?

“There are communities under Sharia law right now in our country.”

— Alabama U.S. Senate candidate Roy Moore (R), quoted by Vox.

Or this ... Senate GOP weighs how to fail on Obamacare

Senate Republicans are on track to fall short in their last-ditch attempt to repeal Obamacare this week — now they’re just debating how best to fail on their seven-year campaign pledge.

With three GOP senators formally opposed to the latest bill to unravel the health care law, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and his conference will mull whether to hold a vote that would be almost certain to go down on the Senate floor, according to senators and aides.

“It’s gonna be up to the leader,” Senate Finance Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) said of holding a vote. “But I’d be happy to do it.”

Others are less eager, with crippling opposition already evident.
   630. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: September 26, 2017 at 01:52 PM (#5539314)
What do you Trumpies think about Trump's recent tweet that Iran fired a test missile? The missile that was launched years ago, but Trump said it just happened. What about that?

Ray doesn't care. SBB blames it on Hillary's e-mail. Clapper's awaiting further instructions.
   631. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: September 26, 2017 at 01:54 PM (#5539316)
Alfred E. Neumans, all of them. Laughably pathetic.
   632. Ray (RDP) Posted: September 26, 2017 at 01:54 PM (#5539317)
Either this is actually true, and you are aware of it from some source, or you are sarcastically claiming that someone - anyone - has claimed this. Either way, citation needed.

Erm, a sarcastic comment is not a claim that someone actually claimed it. It's... sarcasm.

In this case my sarcastic comment stems from the insane rantings of the people here who have criticized Trump on the Puerto Rico relief (non)issue.
   633. Rickey! the first of his name Posted: September 26, 2017 at 01:58 PM (#5539318)
In this case my sarcastic comment stems from the insane rantings of the people here who have criticized Trump on the Puerto Rico relief (non)issue.

Should the so-called president be more interested in NFL pregame theatrics or the citizens of Puerto Rico?
   634. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: September 26, 2017 at 01:59 PM (#5539319)
What about 626, Ray?
   635. Omineca Greg Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:02 PM (#5539321)
I'm back.

When I was in Copenhagen, I bought what I thought was a revel, but it turned out, instead of a chocolate coating, it was a licorice coating. But not just any licorice...you guessed it! Salted licorice. Big crystals of salt on it, like a pretzel.

Tasty though.

We visited a couple in Stockholm for dinner, the husband being local, his wife was from Delhi. And as they were putting the final touches on dinner, when her husband was out of earshot, we asked her discreetly, "Psst...What's up with the food over here? It's so salty...what gives?" and she immediately started laughing, and bellowed over to her husband, "I told you Martin! I told you!". It turns out they'd been fighting all afternoon while preparing the food. "Too salty, Martin! Too salty! Nobody likes it like that but Swedes" and he was all "No flavour, no flavour now" and she was all, "Try using something other than dill or caraway...AND SALT" and he was all, "Why don't you come right out and say it, you're thinking we should have made something Indian" and she was like, "I wasn't thinking that, but now that you mention it...", so the topic had come up already.

Their dinner was good, reasonable level of salt, but Martin had to grab one of those salt grinding mills, I thought he was going to hurt his wrist with all the grinding he was doing. And then he'd take a bite, grab for the grinder again, and the three non-Swedes were all making eye contact with each other and stifling giggles, until finally he yelled out, "I know you're all laughing at me, I don't care!!!" as he went for the grinder one more time. And then we're all laughing our heads off...ah...good times.

636. Srul Itza Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:02 PM (#5539322)
Out here, I have had dealings with the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, which has a Compact of Free Association with the US, and with Guam.

We do not want to have anything to do with either of them as a state. Really. Both of them are more than a little corrupt and crazy.

And if you are ever tempted to visit it, Guam is impossibly hot and humid. It is almost unbearably uncomfortable anywhere outside of air conditioning.

If we did not have military bases there, we would not want to have anything to do with them.
   637. Ray (RDP) Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:02 PM (#5539323)
Should the so-called president be more interested in NFL pregame theatrics or the citizens of Puerto Rico?

A silly framing. A person can be interested in more than one thing at a time. Sending some tweets about the NFL doesn't preclude others in the federal government from overseeing the Puerto Rico relief effort.

What in the holy hell is wrong with you folks?
   638. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:02 PM (#5539324)
I love when Trump ad libs during his strained attempts to read what has been written for him. "15-0...TWICE!" Moron.
   639. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:04 PM (#5539326)

I'll speak for myself: Alfred E. Neumanists, like yourself, led to an Orangutan in Chief. Thanks, bud. You ####### dope.
   640. Srul Itza Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:06 PM (#5539327)
GOP base voters are frustrated with the lack of accomplishments, and their frustration is on full display in the Alabama Republican primary runoff, where former state Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore has a substantial lead in the polls over incumbent Sen. Luther Strange.

Please.

Alabamians aren't voting for Moore over Strange because they are mad at the GOPe.

They are voting for Moore because they LIKE the things he says and does and believes, because it is what they believe.
   641. The Good Face Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:07 PM (#5539328)
Sending some tweets about the NFL doesn't preclude others in the federal government from overseeing the Puerto Rico relief effort.

What if it precludes him from undertaking critically important rallying activities? Yeah, food, water, medicine, and financial aid are all well and good, but the rallying man! What about TEH RALLIES?!?!?
   642. BrianBrianson Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:07 PM (#5539329)
A person can be interested in more than one thing at a time.

That something is technically possible is not even a misguided assertion that Trump's actually doing it. There's zero evidence he's even aware Puerto Rico is a place, nevermind that he has any interest in it.
   643. Srul Itza Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:08 PM (#5539330)
“Republican voters want ObamaCare repealed, period. People I’m talking to only see Graham-Cassidy as a step toward repeal and not full repeal, which is what they expected,” said Jenny Beth Martin, co-founder and national coordinator of Tea Party Patriots.

And as we all know, the Tea Party represents 100% of the Republican base, and can speak for the party as a whole.
   644. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:08 PM (#5539333)
Who does CNN have translating the Spanish President's remarks? Baron Trump?
   645. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:10 PM (#5539334)
There's zero evidence he's even aware Puerto Rico is a place, nevermind that he has any interest in it.

Sure, ever since he defaulted on his golf course there. How soon he forgets.
   646. TDF, FCL Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:10 PM (#5539335)
Senate Republicans are on track to fall short in their last-ditch attempt to repeal Obamacare this week — now they’re just debating how best to fail on their seven-year campaign pledge.

With three GOP senators formally opposed to the latest bill to unravel the health care law, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and his conference will mull whether to hold a vote that would be almost certain to go down on the Senate floor, according to senators and aides.

“It’s gonna be up to the leader,” Senate Finance Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) said of holding a vote. “But I’d be happy to do it.”

Others are less eager, with crippling opposition already evident.
With defeat certain, I wonder how many Rs will vote "No"?
   647. PepTech Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:12 PM (#5539336)
Erm, a sarcastic comment is not a claim that someone actually claimed it. It's... sarcasm.

So are your made-up claims about people here specifically blaming the PR stuff on racism sarcastic, too? It's hard to tell when you're making things up, being sarcastic, lying outright, mischaracterizing, or just having logic issues. At this point I'm not sure you even know which bits are causes, or symptoms, of your TDS.
   648. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:12 PM (#5539337)
There's zero evidence [Trump's] even aware Puerto Rico is a place, nevermind that he has any interest in it.
Uh, yes, there is such evidence. See my post 589, which quoted him directly. (Not his twitter feed; him, personally, live.)
   649. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:14 PM (#5539341)
Trump does a good job educating his base. "Puerto Rico is on an island! It's on an island!"

That's a direct quote. #### you, Trumptards.
   650. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:14 PM (#5539342)
Just got a breaking news on my watch from the AP saying they won't hold the pointless vote.
   651. TDF, FCL Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:15 PM (#5539343)

A silly framing. A person can be interested in more than one thing at a time. Sending some tweets about the NFL doesn't preclude others in the federal government from overseeing the Puerto Rico relief effort.

Nice job changing the question there, Ray.

The question was about the President - not his administration, but him. He's the one who showed no interest at all in the plight of the people of PR, except to blame them for being poor. Yes, his administration seems to be trying to help, but he personally on his personal Twitter account was more worried about fake displays of patriotism than the real lives of the real people he's supposed to represent.

652. TDF, FCL Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:16 PM (#5539345)
Just got a breaking news on my watch from the AP saying they won't hold the pointless vote.
And why should we trust your watch? Does it kneel or stand during the National Anthem?
   653. Ray (RDP) Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:18 PM (#5539347)
That something is technically possible is not even a misguided assertion that Trump's actually doing it. There's zero evidence he's even aware Puerto Rico is a place, nevermind that he has any interest in it.

Other than him commenting and tweeting about it, and agreeing to visit the place, sure.

But as we know there's virtually nothing he can do that you folks won't attack him for.
   654. PepTech Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:18 PM (#5539348)

Nice job changing the question there, Ray.
That, and the original question was "which should he be *MORE* interested in", not *whether* it was one or the other. Trump has demonstrated that he is MORE personally invested in the NFL spat.
   655. Ray (RDP) Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:19 PM (#5539350)
So are your made-up claims about people here specifically blaming the PR stuff on racism sarcastic, too?

They're not made-up claims. When someone says 2+2 it's not hard to conclude 4.
   656. Ray (RDP) Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:20 PM (#5539352)
That, and the original question was "which should he be *MORE* interested in", not *whether* it was one or the other. Trump has demonstrated that he is MORE personally invested in the NFL spat.

Mind reading again, are we?
   657. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:21 PM (#5539353)
Trump does a good job educating his base. "Puerto Rico is on an island! It's on an island!"

That can't be an actual quote can it? (Looks on Google)

Trump to Visit ‘Literally Destroyed’ Island of Puerto Rico

My favorite quote is at the very end though ... “I grew up in New York so I know many people from Puerto Rico,” he said. “I know many Puerto Ricans.”
   658. BrianBrianson Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:21 PM (#5539354)
Firstly - Jeez, are people terrible at speaking English.

Secondly - really, those quotes don't demonstrate that Trump knows Puerto Rico is a place. Contextually, he could just as easily think it's a lady. That'd explain why he'd agree to visit her on an island.
   659. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:22 PM (#5539355)
They're not made-up claims.

"I just don't have any evidence for those claims. But look at the ratings my totally-not-made-up claims are getting! Worth it!"
   660. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:25 PM (#5539357)
Re:aid to PR: "We're going to do far more than anyone else would be able to do."

Digest that. Forget about what you may think of the effort to date. What makes him think that anyone beyond his imbecile base would believe that his leadership is so special that no matter what, he'll make sure it gets done better than if anyone else led the way? He has his base brainwashed, no doubt. And it didn't take a lot of soap.
   661. Srul Itza Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:25 PM (#5539358)
“There are communities under Sharia law right now in our country.”

— Alabama U.S. Senate candidate Roy Moore (R), quoted by Vox

He is probably right, to the same extent that there are Hasidic communities that are more governed by what happens in rabbinical courts than courts of law.

The fact is that they have voluntarily chosen to live this way, and to the extent it does not directly conflict with state/federal law, it is within their right to do so, as the free exercise of their religion.

The real problem is that Moore believes that Christianity is the only religion that should be freely practiced, AND that its tenets should be enshrined into law, so that everyone else is forced to "practice" it. It should make for some interesting dates when (not if) he is elected.

I can't wait for McConnell to then place him as the Chairman of the committee on Science and Technology.
   662. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:27 PM (#5539360)
That can't be an actual quote can it? (Looks on Google)

yeah, and he just repeated it, live, during the presser, w/the president of Spain, exactly as i quoted him.
   663. dlf Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:27 PM (#5539361)
From 655:

From 656:

Come on, this is shooting fish in a barrel stuff right here.
   664. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:27 PM (#5539362)
I don't know that there's ever been a better example of dissent being branded and commodified -- and at land speed world record -- than Jerry Jones kneeling before the national anthem last night.

He's totally OK with government oppression when it's poor people having their homes seized by eminent domain so he can bulldoze them to build a stadium, and now that he's been gifted a free team HQ/practice dome and cashed in that sweetheart land deal for the requisite all-Cowboys-branded adjacent ancillary development, NOW he can protest The Man in good conscience.
   665. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:28 PM (#5539365)
A Moore Win Could Spark a Populist Revolt In 2018

First Read: “If Roy Moore is victorious tonight – and if he wins the general in December – that will only strengthen the Steve Bannon/Breitbart/Nigel Farage forces in future GOP primaries. Think Arizona (where Sen. Jeff Flake is incredibly vulnerable), Nevada (ditto Sen. Dean Heller) and even Colorado (where Rep. Mike Coffman has dared Tom Tancredo to primary him).”
   666. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:31 PM (#5539367)
Least surprising news ever! This could have been a headline written any time in the last, what, 40 years? Republicans reportedly want to cut the top tax rate — and raise the bottom one

While the optics of raising rates on lower-income Americans while cutting the top rate are not great, this proposal is not entirely unexpected. House Speaker Paul Ryan — who along with Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin, National Economic Council Director Gary Cohn, House Ways and Means Committee Chair Kevin Brady, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, and Senate Finance Committee Chair Orrin Hatch makes up the "Big Six" team of Republican leaders working on the tax code — proposed exactly this in his Better Way tax plan in 2016.
   667. Ray (RDP) Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:32 PM (#5539368)
Jerry Jones and a bunch of assorted other filthy rich people: Heroes of the oppressed.
   668. Traderdave Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:33 PM (#5539369)
Trump is aware that PR does in fact exist, but I'd be willing to bet he has no idea how or why it is a US possession.
   669. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:33 PM (#5539370)
Jerry Jones and a bunch of assorted other filthy rich people: Heroes of the oppressed.
Whatever you say, Alfred.
   670. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:34 PM (#5539372)
He's totally OK with government oppression when it's poor people having their homes seized by eminent domain so he can bulldoze them to build a stadium, and now that he's been gifted a free team HQ/practice dome and cashed in that sweetheart land deal for the requisite all-Cowboys-branded adjacent ancillary development, NOW he can protest The Man in good conscience.

Yeah the shocking thing isn't that the NFL (especially ownership) are being hypocrites. No, that is long since established. It is that miraculously they managed to take the moral high ground from ... well anyone. When was the last time the NFL had the morally superior position? Ever?
   671. Lassus Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:38 PM (#5539374)

I certainly doubt he's ever seen West Side Story.

I can only assume he and Lenny were at a few of the same events in the 80s - early, though. I wonder if they ever talked.
   672. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:40 PM (#5539376)
“I grew up in New York so I know many people from Puerto Rico,” he said. “I know many Puerto Ricans.”

You doubt this? His maid, his nanny, his cook...
   673. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:49 PM (#5539381)
This NCAA hoops/bribery story is like its own BALCO scandal.
   674. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:56 PM (#5539383)
Srul, #640:
Please.
Alabamians aren't voting for Moore over Strange because they are mad at the GOPe.
They are voting for Moore because they LIKE the things he says and does and believes, because it is what they believe.

Beyond that, Roy Moore has told voters that Mitch McConnell is trying to steal the election by allowing Democrats to vote in the primary (presumably because McConnell writes Alabama state law). And Moore is explicitly running against McConnell's leadership.
   675. PepTech Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:56 PM (#5539384)
So are your made-up claims about people here specifically blaming the PR stuff on racism sarcastic, too?

You haven't cited 2, or 2, or 4. "They're not made-up claims" is a lie. Stop lying, Ray.

No. Here's how "citing evidence to back up claims" works. Since Sept 19, here's a count of what Trump has tweeted about, which is a reasonable indicator of "what is on his mind":

23: NFL
15: UN
14: ACA
10: Alabama
7: NK
6: PR (three of those in a burst late last night)
6: DJT (mostly retweets of people saying how great he is)
2: Wall Street, Russia!, the Emmys
1: Travel Ban, FLOTUS, Jewish New Year

When I call you a liar and a hypocrite, I'll point to specific posts. When you are shown to be a liar who makes stuff up, you resort to mockery, pedantry, and namecalling rather than evidence.
   676. Swoboda is freedom Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:57 PM (#5539386)
“I grew up in New York so I know many people from Puerto Rico,” he said. “I know many Puerto Ricans.”

I am sure he met Herman Badillo. He ran for mayor.
   677. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 26, 2017 at 02:59 PM (#5539389)

This is the best part of the NBC report:
The court documents don't name the colleges, but describe one as a public research university in Kentucky with 22,640 students and 21 varsity teams. ...The other is described as a private research university in Florida with 16,000 students and 15 varsity sports...
For now, we'll call them the University of X, and the University of John Doe. (Though the article makes two educated guesses-- but that could easily be more fake news.)
   678. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: September 26, 2017 at 03:00 PM (#5539390)
That second one is obviously Miami.
   679. Ray (RDP) Posted: September 26, 2017 at 03:02 PM (#5539392)

You doubt this? His maid, his nanny, his cook...

Wait - who's the racist in this exchange?
   680. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 26, 2017 at 03:02 PM (#5539393)
That second one is obviously Miami.

Dude! NO SPOILERS!!!

And the first one could be any school in Kentucky with 22,640 students.
   681. Ray (RDP) Posted: September 26, 2017 at 03:03 PM (#5539395)
No. Here's how "citing evidence to back up claims" works. Since Sept 19, here's a count of what Trump has tweeted about, which is a reasonable indicator of "what is on his mind":

23: NFL
15: UN
14: ACA
10: Alabama
7: NK
6: PR (three of those in a burst late last night)
6: DJT (mostly retweets of people saying how great he is)
2: Wall Street, Russia!, the Emmys
1: Travel Ban, FLOTUS, Jewish New Year

Which lefty blog is the source for this?

(I don't question its accuracy; I'm wondering where you got it from.)
   682. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 26, 2017 at 03:05 PM (#5539396)
Ray's right. Where the hell could we possibly go to verify the subject matter of Donald Trump's last week of tweets?
   683. Covfefe Posted: September 26, 2017 at 03:06 PM (#5539397)
A Moore Win Could Spark a Populist Revolt In 2018

First Read: “If Roy Moore is victorious tonight – and if he wins the general in December – that will only strengthen the Steve Bannon/Breitbart/Nigel Farage forces in future GOP primaries. Think Arizona (where Sen. Jeff Flake is incredibly vulnerable), Nevada (ditto Sen. Dean Heller) and even Colorado (where Rep. Mike Coffman has dared Tom Tancredo to primary him).”

So populist means crazy now?

The only thing I know about Moore is what the Fake News tells me says - but a quick trip to his campaign site leads me to believe the Fake News is pretty accurate about he says.

I'm not seeing a whole lot of "populism"... theocratic nutjob ranting, yes... but not a whole lot of populism.

684. Hysterical & Useless Posted: September 26, 2017 at 03:06 PM (#5539398)
The food I most associate with Denmark is hot dogs.

Every time I go through Grand Central I'm tempted to stop at "Danish Dogs" to try something. But unlike Oscar Wilde, I seem to be too able to resist temptation.

Maybe next time.
   685. PepTech Posted: September 26, 2017 at 03:10 PM (#5539401)
Which lefty blog is the source for this?

(I don't question its accuracy; I'm wondering where you got it from.)
I went and looked at https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump. Again, this is how "citing evidence to back up claims" actually works.
   686. BrianBrianson Posted: September 26, 2017 at 03:10 PM (#5539402)

It more or less means "Ideas that are popular, but not among people who know what they're talking about". So, yes.
   687. The Good Face Posted: September 26, 2017 at 03:14 PM (#5539405)

Absolutely explosive. Quite likely the end of Rick Pitino's coaching career, and Louisville could be looking at the death penalty for their program.
   688. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 26, 2017 at 03:15 PM (#5539406)

Right wing crazy is "Populist"
Left wing populist is "Communism"
   689. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 26, 2017 at 03:16 PM (#5539407)
Quite likely the end of Rick Pitino's coaching career

Maybe. Never doubt the slipperiness of an NCAA coach.

Louisville could be looking at the death penalty for their program.

But there is still money to be made!
   690. The Good Face Posted: September 26, 2017 at 03:42 PM (#5539424)
Quite likely the end of Rick Pitino's coaching career

Maybe. Never doubt the slipperiness of an NCAA coach.

If he was 10 years younger, yeah, I expect he'd be back. But he's 65, he's made a lot of money, done all the things, etc.

Louisville could be looking at the death penalty for their program.

But there is still money to be made!

Not sure why they call it the death penalty. More like the suspended animation penalty. But Louisville is probably ###### as a program for at least the next few years.
   691. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 26, 2017 at 03:43 PM (#5539428)
Death penalty won't happen. Conferences run this show, and they can't have member schools sitting a season out. There's money to be printed. As noted by all.
   692. GordonShumway Posted: September 26, 2017 at 03:44 PM (#5539430)

Absolutely explosive. Quite likely the end of Rick Pitino's coaching career, and Louisville could be looking at the death penalty for their program.

*Shrug*, Penn State's coaches/administrators enabled and covered up child raping for decades and got a slap on the wrist. Louisville, if they punished, will get the same slap on the wrist.
   693. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: September 26, 2017 at 03:55 PM (#5539435)

That's a direct quote. #### you, Trumptards.

To be fair, that's providing factually correct information that might be helpful to a desperately ignorant person, and therefore it's got more inherent value than about 95% of what Trump says.
   694. The Good Face Posted: September 26, 2017 at 03:55 PM (#5539436)
Death penalty won't happen. Conferences run this show, and they can't have member schools sitting a season out. There's money to be printed. As noted by all.

The ACC won't miss a beat if Louisville is forced to take it on the chin for a season or two. From their perspective, Louisville and that evil Rick Pitino can serve as a sacrificial lamb for the rest of the ACC who would totally never engage in shady recruiting shenanigans.

*Shrug*, Penn State's coaches/administrators enabled and covered up child raping for decades and got a slap on the wrist. Louisville, if they punished, will get the same slap on the wrist.

Penn State was considered a model program right up until the news broke. Louisville (and Pitino) have been shady for ages. Hell, they just got probation for the most recent hookers and blow scandal.
   695. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: September 26, 2017 at 03:56 PM (#5539437)
*Shrug*, Penn State's coaches/administrators enabled and covered up child raping for decades and got a slap on the wrist.

Dying is a pretty time-honored strategy for avoiding criminal charges and civil penalties.
   696. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: September 26, 2017 at 03:57 PM (#5539439)
Every time I go through Grand Central I'm tempted to stop at "Danish Dogs" to try something.

The pastry bit could be OK, but I think the icing would make it weird.
   697. Swoboda is freedom Posted: September 26, 2017 at 04:14 PM (#5539450)
Is the Salt book the one by Mark Kurlansky? It is in my recommended file in Amazon and wondering if worth getting.

698. simpleton & childlike gef the talking mongoose Posted: September 26, 2017 at 04:27 PM (#5539459)
Is the Salt book the one by Mark Kurlansky?

It is. I'm liking it so far -- one-fourth of the way in.
   699. PepTech Posted: September 26, 2017 at 04:34 PM (#5539465)
Here's an article about Puerto Rico that doesn't mention racism even once. Basically the same stuff as discussed here:
Let's begin with Puerto Rico, an island of 3.4 million American citizens (more than many states) that has been plunged into darkness for the foreseeable future. But it wasn't until Tuesday, six days after Maria hit Puerto Rico, that Trump made a substantive late-to-the-disaster statement during a press conference with the Spanish foreign minister at the White House.

"All available resources, including the military, are being marshaled to save lives," he said. And "we have been really treated very, very nicely by the governor and everyone else." He allowed that the people of Puerto Rico "are important to all of us."

That would have been more convincing had Trump to that point not been essentially silent about the chaos there, though he did also note in a tweet Monday: "its old electrical grid, which was in terrible shape was devastated."
Whew, glad to hear the governor has treated Trump nicely. Also, in reference to one of Trump's tweets:
Trump's casual — and ludicrous — pronouncement about how "great" Texas and Florida are doing after two severe weather events downplays the long road ahead for these states, and amounts to an abuse of his position as chief executive with the power of the bully pulpit.

The risk is that the short-attention-span American public and media will soon move on to the next big story and forget about our fellow Americans' suffering. Though it may come as a shock to the President, this is not all about him; just because he has visited Texas and Florida post-storm does not mean things are going well there.
Everything going great down there in Islamorada and Big Pine, Misirlou? They're on islands, you know.
   700. Omineca Greg Posted: September 26, 2017 at 04:35 PM (#5539466)
I've read Kurlansky's Havana: A Sub Tropical Delirium. Mark was a correspondent there for many years. Good book, it only came out after I went there, so it was interesting to read it and think, "Ahhhh...that's what was happening!".
Page 7 of 20 pages ‹ First  < 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
HowardMegdal
for his generous support.