Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, September 25, 2017

OTP 25 September 2017: CC Sabathia won’t visit the White House if the Yankees win the World Series

Ballplayers, however, will likely continue to speak up. The latest: Yankees starter CC Sabathia, who was asked yesterday whether he would visit the White House if the playoff-bound Yankees won the World Series. From the Daily News:

“Never. I just don’t believe in anything that is Trump. So there wouldn’t be any reason for me to go at all. I just think it’s stupid. I just think it’s dumb that he’s addressing players and stuff that he shouldn’t be. But it is what it is, and that’s the country we live in these days . . . I’m proud of the way that everybody has Steph’s back and just athletes in general these days, the way everybody has been stepping up has been great.”

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 25, 2017 at 07:41 AM | 1989 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: cc sabathia, politics, yankees

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 8 of 20 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 >  Last ›
   701. Random Transaction Generator Posted: September 26, 2017 at 04:38 PM (#5539467)
flip
   702. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: September 26, 2017 at 04:43 PM (#5539468)
It is. I'm liking it so far -- one-fourth of the way in.

I read that one a few years ago, and remember liking it.
   703. Spahn Insane, stimulus-funded BurlyMan™ Posted: September 26, 2017 at 04:54 PM (#5539475)
I've read Kurlansky's Havana: A Sub Tropical Delirium.

His book on the Basque people is really interesting.
   704. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: September 26, 2017 at 04:59 PM (#5539477)
And Kurlansky's book Cod is pretty great. The Basque book and the salt book are more or less sequels to it, and the three together are a great example of someone getting his hooks into a something and then following it wherever it may take him.
   705. Swoboda is freedom Posted: September 26, 2017 at 05:00 PM (#5539478)
I went to the salt mine in Hallstatt, Austria last year (which is a pretty town on lake near Salzburg). The salt mine tour was great, showed how salt was mined back in the day. Now of course, all automated. Pump in water, create a slurry and pump it out to factory, where it is dried out.
   706. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: September 26, 2017 at 05:02 PM (#5539479)
TN-SEN Bob Corker is out...

I doubt the Dems have much a shot at the seat though.... I suppose Phil Bredesen might have a shot, but he's gotta be 75 and I doubt he'll run.
   707. Swoboda is freedom Posted: September 26, 2017 at 05:08 PM (#5539481)
And Kurlansky's book Cod is pretty great.

I read that which is why I was asking about Salt. It was pretty good.
   708. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: September 26, 2017 at 05:13 PM (#5539484)
Everything going great down there in Islamorada and Big Pine, Misirlou? They're on islands, you know.

Actually, Islamorada IS on islands. 4 to be precise, none of which are called Islamorada. But Big Pine is an island, and no, it's not doing great.

Even as things start to return to normalcy here in Islamorada, it's still a bit surreal. My son will have his first football game in a month on Friday. But it will be at 4:00 instead of 7:30 because the field has no lights. And there's no clock or scoreboard either. Next week the Miami school he is scheduled to play at will be at a nuetral site because they haven't yet gotten the 60 foot sailboat out of their field.

And there's still trash everywhere. This is a couple of miles from my house.
   709. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: September 26, 2017 at 05:14 PM (#5539486)
better link?

edit: OK. I guess the Miami Herald doesn't want anyone linking to their pictures.
   710. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: September 26, 2017 at 05:19 PM (#5539488)
Uh oh, Trumptards, the IRS is sharing info w/special counsel, and Flynn and Manafort are "99% likely to be indicted" per a reliable Twitter feed. Trump out by Thanksgiving?
   711. Howie Menckel Posted: September 26, 2017 at 05:19 PM (#5539489)
nope

I'm afraid to ask re Islamorada - is Lorelei's restaurant still with us?
   712. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: September 26, 2017 at 05:21 PM (#5539490)
Racism is Dead dept: Pennsylvania Fire Chief Fired for caling Mike Tomlin a "no-good ######\"!

edit..nannied word is.....nigg*r!

713. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: September 26, 2017 at 05:26 PM (#5539495)
Twitter is going to 280 characters. Will Trump need the extra 140? His vocabulary is, what, 1100 words, tops?
   714. Omineca Greg Posted: September 26, 2017 at 05:30 PM (#5539497)
I went to the salt mine in Hallstatt, Austria last year (which is a pretty town on lake near Salzburg). The salt mine tour was great, showed how salt was mined back in the day. Now of course, all automated. Pump in water, create a slurry and pump it out to factory, where it is dried out.

Well, since salt mines aren't going to come up very often...I'll introduce, right now, my profession's unofficial theme song. They actually wrote this as a parody of Pete Townsend's spiritual songwriting, but gosh darn, it still speaks to us as bakers.

There's wheat in the field
And water in the stream
And salt in the mine
And an aching in me

I can no longer stand and wonder
'Cos I'm driven by this hunger
So I'll jug some water
Bake some flour
Store some salt and wait the hour

While I'm thinking of love
Love is thinking for me
And the baker will come
And the baker I'll be

I am depending on my labour
The texture and the flavour

Marriott/Laine

You should at least watch the video to see what the cool kids were wearing in 1968...
   715. Howie Menckel Posted: September 26, 2017 at 05:32 PM (#5539498)
these many people want NFL players to be "fired" for protest like Trump suggests

"In a recent survey conducted by the Cato Institute, 61% of Americans oppose NFL players being "fired" for not standing for the national anthem to make a political statement.

"Only 38% agree with President Trump, who, as part of remarks to a group of supporters in Alabama, said "Wouldn't you love to see one of these NFL owners when somebody disrespects our flag to say get that son of a ##### off the field right now, out, he's fired, he's fired."

[breakdown of "fire them" is
Republican 65 pct
white 43 pct
Hispanic 38 pct
Independents 35 pct
age 18-29 is 28 pct
Democrats 19 pct
black 12 pct]
   716. BrianBrianson Posted: September 26, 2017 at 05:32 PM (#5539499)
We've known for some time that Flynn and Manafort were guilty of at least failure to disclose he was a foreign agent on his security clearance forms and ...something? right? I don't see how it changes anything - indeed, if they're getting indicted, it's possible (if unlikely) they've decided to be uncooperative, and thus maybe team Trump isn't in as bad shape as if there were leakers with inside info.
   717. Ray (RDP) Posted: September 26, 2017 at 05:35 PM (#5539500)
Trump out by Thanksgiving?

Sooner. He'll resign tonight.

718. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: September 26, 2017 at 05:36 PM (#5539501)
I think it involves money, and I think/hope they get them to squeal like the ####### pigs they are.
   719. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: September 26, 2017 at 05:38 PM (#5539502)
I'm afraid to ask re Islamorada - is Lorelei's restaurant still with us?

Can't say for sure. I haven't been that far south since the storm. But probably. The bayside homes and businesses fared far better than the oceanside ones. The restaurants that i know of that are gone or at least severely damaged are Mandalay, Snappers (both in Key Largo), Island Grill, Hog Heaven, Lazy Days (all in Islamorada). All oceanside.
   720. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: September 26, 2017 at 05:38 PM (#5539503)
Sooner. He'll resign tonight.

That would be a shame, because I'd miss the self aggrandizing prick repeating how the governor of PR told him what an incredible job he's been doing.

Enjoy your dinner, Alfred.
   721. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: September 26, 2017 at 05:39 PM (#5539506)
How about a Loot of Pirates?

A cove of Pirates?
A treasure of Pirates?
plank of Pirates?
jolly of pirates

A booty of Pirates, duh.
   722. Lassus Posted: September 26, 2017 at 05:39 PM (#5539507)
I opened up The Nordic Cookbook at random and was greeted with: POACHED BALTIC HERRING, SERVED COLD.

Let's try another one: NORWEGIAN POTATO DUMPLINGS WITH SALTED MUTTON, and opposite that: SWEDISH RAW POTATO DUMPLINGS.

I love this book, even if I never make anything from it.
   723. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: September 26, 2017 at 05:40 PM (#5539508)
That would be a shame, because I'd miss the self aggrandizing prick repeating how the governor of PR told him what an incredible job he's been doing.

But I thought Trump was ignoring PR?
   724. Ray (RDP) Posted: September 26, 2017 at 05:45 PM (#5539510)

Human definition.

He wasn't rallying around PR, that's for damn sure. That much we KNOW.
   725. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: September 26, 2017 at 05:49 PM (#5539513)

Did you not understand my comment? It seems so.

I shan't explain it to you.
   726. Srul Itza Posted: September 26, 2017 at 05:50 PM (#5539514)
Beyond that, Roy Moore has told voters that Mitch McConnell is trying to steal the election by allowing Democrats to vote in the primary (presumably because McConnell writes Alabama state law). And Moore is explicitly running against McConnell's leadership.

How many votes do you think that really moves in Alabama, vs being hard core in favor of GOD and against them HOMOS.
   727. Omineca Greg Posted: September 26, 2017 at 05:54 PM (#5539515)
...SWEDISH RAW POTATO DUMPLINGS...

I make those all the time (well, I don't know if they're 'Swedish' or not, but I make raw potato dumplings.)

I have to admit, I don't boil them right from the start, I cook them in the microwave until the starch in the potato sets up, and then either boil them 'til they're done, or (usually) pan fry them. Delish!
   728. Srul Itza Posted: September 26, 2017 at 05:56 PM (#5539516)
TN-SEN Bob Corker is out...

Which will play as another scalp for Bannon and the populists.
   729. Lassus Posted: September 26, 2017 at 06:03 PM (#5539517)
I cook them in the microwave until the starch in the potato sets up, and then either boil them 'til they're done, or (usually) pan fry them. Delish!

How is that "raw"?
   730. PepTech Posted: September 26, 2017 at 06:05 PM (#5539519)
Ha ha, really, funny, Ray and Bear are making jokes about people suffering in Puerto Rico! Watch them reaffirm how clever the other one is! I'm sure TGF and/or Clapper will show up soon and square off the circle. Hoo, hah, it is to laugh. Careful, you might get something in your eye!

Poster: Trump did X (or, in this case, didn't). Sad.
SBB: Boy, Poster sure is an idiot saying that Trump did Q!
Ray: Gosh, you're funny! Q is sooo stupid!
TGF: All the lefties who keep saying Q are stupid too!!
SBB: Man we sure are smart.
Ray: Don't forget sarcastic!
   731. Morty Causa Posted: September 26, 2017 at 06:11 PM (#5539522)
Did any of those books on salt and Danish cuisine say how salt became widely used preservative? Or was it just a flavoring thing?

And if it was used widely as a preservative, do they have a history or tradition of smoking meats and fish?
   732. Howie Menckel Posted: September 26, 2017 at 06:12 PM (#5539523)
Time mag analyzes the Democratic Party

"SHRUNK. Democrats are in their worst shape since 1929. Can anything save them?"

That's Time magazine's cover, with the R elephant huge vs a tiny D donkey.

I don't really buy the premise, particularly given that "A poll from CNN/SSRS in August showed Democrats with an 11-percentage-point advantage over Republicans on a generic congressional ballot."

But rising D House star Tim Ryan also says, ""We're going to have a fight," Ryan says. "There's no question about it."

and the numbers are grim:

"The Democrats are in their deepest congressional rut since the class of 1946 was elected, and hold the fewest governors' mansions--15--since 1922. Of the 98 partisan legislatures in the U.S., Republicans control 67. During Barack Obama's presidency, Democrats lost 970 seats in state legislatures, leaving the party's bench almost bare. The median age of their congressional leadership is 67, and many of the obvious early presidential front runners will be in their 70s by the 2020 election."

Part of Ryan's pitch has been to put away the pitchforks and modulate the tone. "We cannot be a party that is hostile to business. We need those businesspeople to hire our people, who just want a shot," Ryan fumes. "We can be business-friendly and still be progressive."

733. Omineca Greg Posted: September 26, 2017 at 06:13 PM (#5539525)
How is that "raw"?

They're "raw" because the potato is raw when it's incorporated into the dumpling. As opposed to making them with flour/mashed or baked potato/egg or what have you...

Is your recipe actually calling for people to eat raw potato? That would not be very good, he understates.
   734. Lassus Posted: September 26, 2017 at 06:18 PM (#5539527)
Is your recipe actually calling for people to eat raw potato? That would not be very good, he understates.

I'm sure it's not, I'm not even any kind of cook, I was just reading the title like an idiot.
   735. PepTech Posted: September 26, 2017 at 06:23 PM (#5539529)
More from Villanueva on the Flag Dispute:
So out of all these players in the NFL who are taking a knee, I don't think as a veteran I take offense. In a big picture where there's customized different thing, nobody thinks when you're taking a knee you're offending the flag. And they're saying it. And I don't think that anybody that standing for the flag is not respecting the fact that there is a lot of unjustices and racial divide in our country. So we're essentially talking about two completely different things.

But the problem is that it's interpreted as disrespectful to the flag, and so at the end of the day people have to live with those consequences.

Colin Kaepernick did, and there's a lot that can be said about his adventure of starting this process. But I take no offense, I don't think veterans at the end of the day take offense, they actually signed up and fought so that somebody could take a knee and protest peacefully for whatever it is their hearts desire.
Villanueva is a decorated Army Ranger Captain (retired), and he doesn't seem to think kneelers are vile or cartoonish. Hmm, maybe it's possible that there is more than one point of view.
   736. BDC Posted: September 26, 2017 at 06:24 PM (#5539531)
do they have a history or tradition of smoking meats and fish?

Definitely. Danish smokehouses are an archetypal sight.
   737. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 26, 2017 at 06:32 PM (#5539533)
"SHRUNK. Democrats are in their worst shape since 1929. Can anything save them?"

I am pretty sure being out of power (and thus not blamed for anything) and Trump driving down the GOP can
"save" them.

But yes Democrats are at a low point, which (duh) means the GOP is at a high point. Which is why I earlier expressed my utter amazement at how completely inept the GOP has been and how little they have managed to accomplish.
   738. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 26, 2017 at 06:37 PM (#5539534)
Good news for .... McCain Urges Bipartisan Effort on Tax Reform

Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) “is laying down the same marker on tax legislation as he did on health care, demanding regular order and support from both parties — a stance that has proved pivotal in thwarting Senate Republican efforts to undo Obamacare,” Bloomberg reports.

So, I am sure that will go well. But the GOP has a plan!

GOP tax plan will skip details on how to pay for it

The tax plan being presented to GOP members over the next couple of days — as soon as this afternoon to senators — isn't likely to include tough policy decisions about revenue raisers, multiple sources say. "All of the goodies and none of the vegetables," said one well-connected GOP lobbyist.

Between the lines: Although there's disagreement about how much individual and corporate tax rates should be lowered, almost every Republican is going to be happy with tax cuts and lower rates. The painful decisions come in when members are forced to decide about revenue-raising policies — for example, whether to eliminate or reduce the state and local tax deduction, which Bloomberg reported this morning is already hitting blue-state Republican resistance.

And hey remember how poorly these "goodies" polled? (Look up thread if not, I linked to it earlier today). Imagine how well the "vegetables" will poll. And of course We already have one GOP Senator making waves. It is going to be a fun ride.
   739. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: September 26, 2017 at 06:46 PM (#5539536)
Yeah but he's dying, so...
   740. Omineca Greg Posted: September 26, 2017 at 06:48 PM (#5539537)
I'm sure it's not...

Somebody more cheferly than me could probably give a better description, but when you're making dumplings with raw potato, you have to squeeze all the water out of your potato pulp, and you're left with a starchy goop. If you're making dumplings with boiled/baked/mashed potatoes, then that water removing step has already been done, and the starch has already been gelatinized. You get a big texture difference when using the raw potato, and a more muted difference from a flour dumpling when using cooked potato.
   741. Omineca Greg Posted: September 26, 2017 at 07:14 PM (#5539545)
Did any of those books on salt and Danish cuisine say how salt became widely used preservative?

Salt lowers the water activity in food, and in terms of spoilage, that's a good thing.
Monitoring "aw" is a critical control point for many food industry operations.The importance of water activity (aw) in food systems cannot be overemphasized. Throughout history water activity in food has been controlled by drying, addition of sugar or salt and freezing. These methods prevent spoilage and maintain food quality. Water activity is the ratio of the partial vapor pressure of water in equilibrium with a food to the partial saturation vapor pressure of water vapor in air at the same temperature. This is equal to the relative humidity of air in equilibrium with the food. The water activity of a food describes the energy state of water in the food, and hence its potential to act as a solvent and participate in chemical/biochemical reactions and growth of microorganisms. It is an important property that is used to predict the stability and safety of food with respect to microbial growth, rates of deteriorative reactions and chemical/physical properties.

Link
   742. PreservedFish Posted: September 26, 2017 at 07:29 PM (#5539550)
And it tastes good. It's one of those little miracles.

I like this quote from Jeffrey Steingarten on salt content in bread:

Nearly all recipes call for about two percent salt compared to the weight of the flour - much more and you kill the yeast and bacteria, much less and the yeast grow without restraint and exhaust themselves too soon. Yeast also strengthens the gluten, keeping it elastic and helping the bread rise. Can it be mere chance that the chemically ideal level of salt is precisely the amount that makes bread taste best?"
   743. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 26, 2017 at 07:31 PM (#5539551)
Re: #732--
Time mag analyzes... "SHRUNK. Democrats are in their worst shape since 1929. Can anything save them?"

I don't really buy the premise

Nor do I. The Democrats' deflated legislative standing is a worthwhile subject. But right near the top of the article we get this:
But the Democrats' dilemma was unimaginable even a year ago, when Clinton seemed to be coasting toward the White House and demographic change fueled dreams of a permanent national majority. Now, eight months into the Trump presidency, the party looks to face its toughest odds since Ronald Reagan won 49 states in 1984.
Let's start unpacking at the beginning-- if Clinton had won the White House as expected, then what? The Dems wouldn't have just 15 governors' mansions? They somehow would have un-lost some of 970 state seats? The median age of their congressional leadership would be lower? How would a Clinton win have mitigated these numbers? Or, who are the many examples of state and House and Senate candidates poised to be the first wave of this brewing "permanent national majority" who were instead taken down by Clinton's loss?

Also, has Time Magazine already forgotten what happened to Karl Rove's hubristic boast of a "permanent majority"? Followed immediately by the GOP supposedly being "reduced to a southern regional party" according to commentators who should have known better? 0-for-2, and hardly ancient history. Ain't no such animal as a permanent majority.

Also also, "toughest odds since [the aftermath of] 1984"? The Democrats picked up 8 Senate seats in 1986, and unlike Trump, the public liked Reagan. Then the Dems picked up another Senate seat in each of the next two elections. The 2018 firewall is very different, but 1985-86 is not a good antecedent for "the party in a rut... Can anything save them?"

Also also (also), the odds are good that this rut represents the Democrats' statistical nadir for the foreseeable future. They've already picked up a few state seats this year. And every special election has swung in their direction. They're expected to pick up at least a dozen House seats, and probably more. The 6 or 7 governorships that are judged most likely to flip are currently Republican-held, starting with Chris Christie's this year. And the GOP seems intent on squandering some, if not most, of its huge Senate race advantage. The Dems aren't going to undo their decade of erosion in one election cycle. It'll surely take four or five, and that's only assuming things generally break their way, which is one big-ass assumption. And when you assume, you make an ass out of U and Chuck Schumer.

Returning to the question "Can anything save them?" Yes. Yes, something could. Great question, great answer, we've learned so much.
   744. Morty Causa Posted: September 26, 2017 at 07:39 PM (#5539552)
Danish smokehouses are an archetypal sight.

merci
   745. Morty Causa Posted: September 26, 2017 at 07:41 PM (#5539554)

Thanks.
   746. Ray (RDP) Posted: September 26, 2017 at 07:52 PM (#5539558)
Ha ha, really, funny, Ray and Bear are making jokes about people suffering in Puerto Rico!

Keep lying and trolling!
   747. Heart of Matt Harvey Posted: September 26, 2017 at 08:21 PM (#5539567)
Workers of the World Unite?

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — The U.S. Department of Homeland Security reversed course Tuesday and told Wisconsin officials that the Russian government did not scan the state’s voter registration system.

Homeland Security told state elections officials on Friday that Wisconsin was one of 21 states targeted by the Russians, raising concerns about the safety and security of the state’s election systems even though no data had been compromised. But in an email to the state’s deputy elections administrator that was provided to reporters at the Wisconsin Elections Commission meeting on Tuesday, Homeland Security said that initial notice was in error.

“Based on our external analysis, the WI IP address affected belongs to the WI Department of Workforce Development, not the Elections Commission,” said the email from Juan Figueroa, with Homeland Security’s Office of Infrastructure Protection.
   748. Howie Menckel Posted: September 26, 2017 at 08:21 PM (#5539568)
Which is why I earlier expressed my utter amazement at how completely inept the GOP has been and how little they have managed to accomplish.

I was surprised when the Ds didn't do nearly what I figured they would with their monopoly period with Obama, but yes they did better than the Rs have done so far.

I'm not eager to see either dysfunctional party turn the status quo upside down, but I naively thought they would. now, I worry less.
   749. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: September 26, 2017 at 08:22 PM (#5539570)
Gay schluffen, Ray.
   750. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: September 26, 2017 at 08:34 PM (#5539578)
Direct TV is going to dole out refunds to some NFL Sunday Ticket subscribers due to the Anthem controversy. Poor triggered snowflakes need their safe spaces, I suppose.
   751. BDC Posted: September 26, 2017 at 08:37 PM (#5539579)
the GOP is at a high point. Which is why I earlier expressed my utter amazement at how completely inept the GOP has been

It's interesting how sensitivity to public opinion – particularly (and paradoxically) in the Senate, where safe seats cannot be gerrymandered – really does draw Congress toward the center, however violent the rhetoric may get on the wings. The Democrats managed to pass the ACA by the cuticles of the hairs on their collective ###es, despite substantial majorities. The Republicans now, with smaller but decent majorities, cannot seem to make any headway on repealing it. Somehow, a mushy center of opinion (people should be universally insurable, policies should include certain minimum care, premiums should be subsidized at some basic level, but let's not get carried away about Medicaid expansion, let alone "Medicare for all") seems to be prevailing, against those who would nationalize the whole system OTOH and those who would turn it over to the cowboy free market OTO.
   752. Howie Menckel Posted: September 26, 2017 at 08:37 PM (#5539580)
has anybody come out ahead on this whole NFL anthem thing, across the board?
   753. BDC Posted: September 26, 2017 at 08:42 PM (#5539589)

Anything that could improve the public image of Jerry Jones, however marginally or ephemerally, has to be regarded as a minor miracle :)
   754. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 26, 2017 at 08:45 PM (#5539592)
Since Sept 19, here's a count of what Trump has tweeted about, which is a reasonable indicator of "what is on his mind". . .

Heh. About that premise - you're being played. Last I heard, tweeting doesn't take much time, and isn't the only indicator, or necessarily the most reliable, of "what is on your mind".
   755. Heart of Matt Harvey Posted: September 26, 2017 at 08:48 PM (#5539595)
Moore leads Strange 54-46 with 5% reporting.
   756. Heart of Matt Harvey Posted: September 26, 2017 at 08:52 PM (#5539601)

The NFL now has the support of people who want to see it banned.

Anything that could improve the public image of Jerry Jones, however marginally or ephemerally, has to be regarded as a minor miracle :)

He's maybe a circle of hell above John McCain.... which one is for weasels?
   757. Heart of Matt Harvey Posted: September 26, 2017 at 08:53 PM (#5539604)
57-43 Moore with 10 percent reporting. I'll be surprised if Strange wins.
   758. Chicago Joe Posted: September 26, 2017 at 09:05 PM (#5539618)
Danish smokehouses are an archetypal sight

In Chicago, they're called "trap houses".
   759. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: September 26, 2017 at 09:36 PM (#5539649)
CNN projects a Moore victory.
   760. JJ1986 Posted: September 26, 2017 at 09:41 PM (#5539665)
CNN projects a Moore victory.
How long until the Trumpees proclaim that's actually a win for the President?
   761. Lassus Posted: September 26, 2017 at 09:47 PM (#5539680)
About that premise - you're being played. Last I heard, tweeting doesn't take much time, and isn't the only indicator, or necessarily the most reliable, of "what is on your mind".
About your President? Sure.
   762. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 26, 2017 at 09:49 PM (#5539682)
Somebody asked "why?"

Here ya go ...

But, what Bannon, who until last month was a senior strategist to President Donald Trump, said about the Senate majority leader -- and House Speaker Paul Ryan -- on Monday night in Alabama was over-the-top even for Bannon.
Here's a sampling:

"Mitch McConnell and this permanent political class is the most corrupt and incompetent group of individuals in this country. They think you're a pack of morons. They think you're nothing but rubes. They have no interest at all in what you have to say, what you have to think or what you want to do."
"I told (Trump) I was going to go after the establishment, go after the establishment first and the Democrats later. Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan have allowed three investigative committees on Capitol Hill with full subpoena power, they're going after President Trump every day."
"Mitch McConnell ... Karl Rove, all the instruments that tried to destroy Roy Moore and his family: Your day of reckoning is coming."

CNN
   763. Greg K Posted: September 26, 2017 at 09:49 PM (#5539684)
Hmm, where to put weasels?

I'm guessing the Fraud circle makes the most sense. Flatterers, Corrupt Politicians, or Falsifiers.
   764. Greg K Posted: September 26, 2017 at 09:51 PM (#5539687)
About that premise - you're being played. Last I heard, tweeting doesn't take much time, and isn't the only indicator, or necessarily the most reliable, of "what is on your mind".

Yeah, duh. Facebook statuses are where you go to find out what is on people's mind. It says it right in the little box before you start typing: "What's on your mind, Greg?"

It's like you people have never used social media.
   765. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 26, 2017 at 09:54 PM (#5539689)

He's maybe a circle of hell above John McCain.... which one is for weasels?

Dunno, where did they place your stool, friend-o?
   766. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 26, 2017 at 09:56 PM (#5539690)
How long until the Trumpees proclaim that's actually a win for the President?

Until? The head Trumpee himself tried to float Plan B during his WTF "endorsement" of Strange, in which he said he was really there not just for Strange but for two people, worried that he had made a mistake picking Strange, promised that he would campaign like hell for Moore if he won instead, and broke out his "durr durr durr, this is what you sound like" voice to imitate the bad things the lying media would say about Trump's valueless endorsement after Strange lost.
   767. SouthSideRyan Posted: September 26, 2017 at 10:17 PM (#5539702)
The point of his speech in support of Strange were about how great DJT is.

Strange's numbers went up because of me! I named him Big Luther!!
   768. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 26, 2017 at 10:34 PM (#5539720)
Top headlines right now on the WP website. There seems to be some sort of a common thread:

Firebrand Moore wins Ala. Senate primary in blow to GOP leadership

After Alabama, GOP anti-establishment wing declares all-out war in 2018

There was once a bridge here: Toppled Puerto Rico town copes with isolation after Maria

Tuesday started as a bad day for Mitch McConnell. It only got worse.

Sen. Bob Corker announces retirement

Senate Republicans are losing their top foreign policy voice

Pay attention to the environment Corker is leaving

Senate GOP won’t vote on its latest health-care bill

Clinton pressed Trump to deploy hospital ship Comfort to Puerto Rico. Now it’s preparing to go.

The ‘very big ocean’ does not excuse lack of aid in Puerto Rico
   769. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 26, 2017 at 10:41 PM (#5539725)
And the screaming headlines from Breitbart:

Blowout in ‘Bama!

Establishment GOP Brought to Knees

Here Comes the Senator!

Judge Moore Overcomes McConnell, Trump, Pence, $30M+ to Win Alabama Senate Primary

Along with their analysis:

**Breitbart Livewire***

Big Luther Big Loser…

…IT BEGINS: Populist/Nationalist Movement Dominates with Eye on 2018…

…Alabama’s Deafening Message: Movement About Trumpism, Not Trump…

…Beware the Honey Badger: Bannon, Breitbart Center Stage…

…Trump Voters Reject New Direction on DACA, Democrats

Sen. Corker Announces Retirement — One Day After Breitbart Reports on $3M Swamp Deal

Mitch on Hot Seat: Tax Reform Next

McCain: Dallas Cowboys Have ‘Right’ to Kneel…

…Barnes: No, They Don’t
   770. PreservedFish Posted: September 26, 2017 at 10:51 PM (#5539733)
I find it ridiculous that Mouse and some other liberals were rooting for this cretinous buffoon to win.
   771. Lassus Posted: September 26, 2017 at 11:14 PM (#5539755)
Everyone lost. Like with Trump. Congrats.
   772. Lassus Posted: September 26, 2017 at 11:15 PM (#5539756)
In other news, I was watching the beginning of Assassin's Creed while doing housework tonight. Holy cow what an awful film.
   773. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 26, 2017 at 11:27 PM (#5539774)
Top headlines right now on the WP website. There seems to be some sort of a common thread . . .

So you're saying the WaPo has an agenda? That's been pretty obvious for some time.
   774. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: September 26, 2017 at 11:35 PM (#5539787)
In other news, I was watching the beginning of Assassin's Creed while doing housework tonight. Holy cow what an awful film.

The over-arching plot of the games is pretty ####### stupid. It's funny because you get the sense that they think it is way more intriguing and clever than it is. They are kind of like the M. Night Shyamalan of games... The gameplay is usually fun enough and the individual sub-plots are usually interesting enough, that you can overlook those parts. But yeah, I am not at all surprised that the movie is a complete mess (not that I have seen it). But again, I did hear an interview on a podcast somewhere, where the makers were falling over themselves patting themselves on the back, and congratulating themselves, at how monumental and ground-breaking the movie was going to be. Like they honestly, genuinely believed this would be a monumental step in movie-making...
   775. Lassus Posted: September 26, 2017 at 11:44 PM (#5539799)
US won't waive shipping restrictions for Puerto Rico relief
The Trump administration on Tuesday denied a request from several members of Congress to waive shipping restrictions to help get gasoline and other supplies to Puerto Rico as the island recovers from Hurricane Maria.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) declined the request to waive the Jones Act, which limits shipping between coasts to U.S.-flagged vessels, according to Reuters. DHS waived the act following hurricanes Harvey and Irma, which hit the mainland U.S.

The agency has in the past waived the rule to allow cheaper and more readily-available foreign vessels to supply goods to devastated areas. But DHS said Tuesday that waiving the act for Puerto Rico would not help the U.S. island territory due to damaged ports preventing ships from docking.
   776. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 26, 2017 at 11:57 PM (#5539810)
So much winning: Trump has deleted all of his tweets backing Luther Strange, including the one where he said Strange began "shooting up in the polls since my endorsement."

With 100% of the votes counted, Strange lost by the same percentage he's been trailing by for weeks and weeks.

Anyway, the GOP didn't need that reported $30 million they spent on an Alabama primary. They'll get more; their big donors are delighted with them these days.
   777. Traderdave Posted: September 26, 2017 at 11:59 PM (#5539812)
775:

Reprehensible.
   778. Traderdave Posted: September 27, 2017 at 12:00 AM (#5539813)
And I'm doubling down on my belief the the GOP of 2017 is in same place as Whigs in 1850.

779. Lassus Posted: September 27, 2017 at 12:18 AM (#5539822)
Trump has deleted all of his tweets backing Luther Strange

Someone not entirely sure how the internet works.
   780. Ray (RDP) Posted: September 27, 2017 at 12:22 AM (#5539823)
Would people here support a protest of the Mexico flag by, say, MLB players?
   781. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 27, 2017 at 12:39 AM (#5539826)
Elsewhere yesterday, Democrats flipped a GOP-held state seat in Florida. Then Democrats flipped a second seat in New Hampshire, this one in a district Trump won by 23%.

Those are the 7th and the 8th special election pickups for Democrats this year, in just 27 races. Trump won those 27 districts by an average of 19%.

So far, no Republican has flipped any Democratic special election seat.
   782. Morty Causa Posted: September 27, 2017 at 12:40 AM (#5539827)

I was waiting for someone to moot that hypothetical, or one like it.

783. Morty Causa Posted: September 27, 2017 at 12:48 AM (#5539831)
Morty is a stupid person's idea of what an intelligent person is like.

Genuinely interested to know what sort of stupid person--as in what line would he take--would think I'm intelligent, and what would it be about me that would make him think that? Be specific. Show your work.
   784. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 27, 2017 at 05:06 AM (#5539845)

I already refuse to stand when they play La Cucaracha at the ballpark. Yo soy muy woke.
   785. manchestermets Posted: September 27, 2017 at 06:21 AM (#5539846)
Genuinely interested to know what sort of stupid person--as in what line would he take--would think I'm intelligent, and what would it be about me that would make him think that? Be specific. Show your work.

Specifically, the extreme verbosity to zero effect.
   786. manchestermets Posted: September 27, 2017 at 06:23 AM (#5539848)

Is that allowed? I read something a while back - can't remember exactly where, or when - to the effect that his tweets count as government records, and thus must be retained. Can any of our resident lawyers chip in on this?
   787. Morty Causa Posted: September 27, 2017 at 07:00 AM (#5539850)
785:

Do you really think this meets the request of 783? Or was it too verbose? (At any rate, apparently it had no effect.)
   788. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 27, 2017 at 07:06 AM (#5539851)
140 character limit Morty. But photos don't count against that. Take advantage!
   789. Morty Causa Posted: September 27, 2017 at 07:08 AM (#5539853)
How about grunts, wheezes, and arm-flap farts?
   790. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 27, 2017 at 07:29 AM (#5539855)
That's a little archaic. Dank memes featuring frogs are what the kids are into.
   791. BDC Posted: September 27, 2017 at 07:37 AM (#5539856)

{/ desperately seeking strawman

:)
   792. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 27, 2017 at 07:38 AM (#5539857)
I find it ridiculous that Mouse and some other liberals were rooting for this cretinous buffoon to win.

OK, why? I have repeatedly laid out my reasons. Short form - it doesn't matter much from a policy perspective and politically it is a winner for Democrats. Also - and this is important - not my circus, not my monkeys. My interest is worth much less than you seem to think.

So explain why you are so totally in favor of the corrupt establishment GOP politician favored by Trump and GOP leadership over the fringe wacko religious nut? And why I am not allowed to have a non-ridiculous opinion? Is every voter for Moore also "ridiculous"?
   793. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 27, 2017 at 07:39 AM (#5539858)
   794. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 27, 2017 at 07:43 AM (#5539859)

{/ desperately seeking strawman

Seeing as how I support the right of Illinois Nazis to march, why wouldn't I support the right of people to protest the Mexican flag?

But whatever.
   795. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 27, 2017 at 07:44 AM (#5539860)
I cheered The Iron Sheik and booed Hulk Hogan.
   796. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 27, 2017 at 07:46 AM (#5539862)
I cheered The Iron Sheik and booed Hulk Hogan.

Monster!
   797. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 27, 2017 at 07:51 AM (#5539864)
I refuse to stand for the Mexican wave ...
   798. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 27, 2017 at 07:52 AM (#5539865)
The only time I'm standing for the Mexican national anthem in when I'm dancing around a hat.
   799. Lassus Posted: September 27, 2017 at 08:09 AM (#5539866)

This question contains zero relevance.
   800. Traderdave Posted: September 27, 2017 at 08:19 AM (#5539867)

Didn't he just recently lecture us against the evils of deleting history?
Page 8 of 20 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Guts
for his generous support.