Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, March 05, 2018

OTP 3 March 2018: Texas Wesleyan baseball coach fired after rejecting Colorado prospect over politics

A college baseball coach in Texas was fired Thursday partly because of an email he sent to a high school prospect in Colorado. Texas Wesleyan University’s coach told the senior that Colorado players have failed drug tests in the past and the university doesn’t take a chance on students from the state.

At a Thursday morning press conference, University President Fred Slabach announced coach Mike Jeffcoat was fired because of the remarks and for violating National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics rules regarding player eligibility. Slabach said the school had been investigating the rule violations for about a week and reported them to the NAIA on Thursday.

Earlier, the Fort Worth college released a statement on the matter saying, “This email does not reflect our values and we do not condone discrimination ... including those on the basis of race, color, religion, disability or sexuality; or the political legislation of one’s home state.”

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: March 05, 2018 at 07:54 AM | 1817 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: college baseball, colorado, off topic, politics, texas

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 13 of 19 pages ‹ First  < 11 12 13 14 15 >  Last ›
   1201. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 08, 2018 at 09:07 PM (#5635725)
Jesus has forgiven him. Why can’t you?
   1202. Stormy JE Posted: March 08, 2018 at 09:10 PM (#5635727)
I see the Daily Caller has brought Oleg Deripaska on as a guest columnist... that's nice, too.
So wait, you yawn over Deripaska's DC lobbyist being chummy with both Senator Warner and Christopher Steele but suddenly you're wide awake because a conservative publication published the oligarch's op-ed? Puh-leeze.
   1203. Zonk is a Doorknob Whisperer Posted: March 08, 2018 at 09:10 PM (#5635728)
It'll be awesome when NK goes from pariah to favored trading status in exchange for a tour of the NK cheerleader locker room
   1204. Traderdave Posted: March 08, 2018 at 09:15 PM (#5635731)
Our two top envoys to North Korea are Donald Trump and Dennis Rodman.

Let that sink in a minute...
   1205. Stormy JE Posted: March 08, 2018 at 09:16 PM (#5635732)
Better *way* late than never...

Planned Parenthood parts ways with Women's March organizer over ties to Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan

Now all we need is for the seven Members of Congress to vocally condemn Louis Farrakhan by name.

And maybe for the former POTUS to explain the shiteating grin while standing next to that piece of anti-Semitic filth...
   1206. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: March 08, 2018 at 09:18 PM (#5635733)
Trump's no 97-pound weakling getting sand kicked in his face

Deserves quoting on a fresh page. This dude is off the deep end. Imagine having so little self respect you say this about Donald Trump. A literal con man.
   1207. Zonk is a Doorknob Whisperer Posted: March 08, 2018 at 09:23 PM (#5635735)
Deserves quoting on a fresh page. This dude is off the deep end. Imagine having so little self respect you say this about Donald Trump. A literal con man.

Kinda feels like this cliche needs a Trumpian update... maybe wading into the inflatable kiddie pool with baby floatees?
   1208. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 08, 2018 at 09:24 PM (#5635736)
Imagine having so little self respect you say this about Donald Trump

Imagine being so entirely devoid of contact with actual masculinity that you think a fat prissy narcissist like Donald Trump is some sort of badass.
   1209. Stormy JE Posted: March 08, 2018 at 09:24 PM (#5635737)
A literal con man.
Um, isn't that kind of who you want across the negotiating table from an adversary?
   1210. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: March 08, 2018 at 09:26 PM (#5635738)
Now all we need is for the seven Members of Congress to vocally condemn Louis Farrakhan by name.

Maybe they can adapt your fierce condemnation of Trump. Can't get any bolder than that!

And maybe for the former POTUS to explain the shiteating grin while standing next to that piece of anti-Semitic filth...

While you've been sidling up to the most racist piece of filth in the White House since Woodrow Wilson left office, the hero of every alt-Right and neo-Nazi group all over the world. Talk about pots and kettles.
   1211. Zonk is a Doorknob Whisperer Posted: March 08, 2018 at 09:27 PM (#5635739)
Um, isn't that kind of who you want across the negotiating table from an adversary?

Are you unfamiliar with what a con man is?

1212. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 08, 2018 at 09:29 PM (#5635740)
A liar known for making promises he never fulfills and hiding behind threats of legal action - that’s who does all my negotiating.

Full cockholster.
   1213. Stormy JE Posted: March 08, 2018 at 09:29 PM (#5635741)
Are you unfamiliar with what a con man is?
Well, you did pretty much sucker us into thinking that you had run away for good so...
   1214. Zonk is a Doorknob Whisperer Posted: March 08, 2018 at 09:33 PM (#5635742)
Well, you did pretty much sucker us into thinking that you had run away for good so...

I guess that's the difference between me and you - I don't think I'd be particularly well-suited for one-on-one negotiations with Kim Jong Un either.

Touching to know I would have your undying support if I put an (R) after my name, though.
   1215. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: March 08, 2018 at 09:34 PM (#5635743)
A liar known for making promises he never fulfills and hiding behind threats of legal action - that’s who does all my negotiating.

A genius who brings along David Dennison and John Miller as his chief legal advisors.
   1216. Stormy JE Posted: March 08, 2018 at 09:36 PM (#5635744)
I guess that's the difference between me and you - I don't think I'd be particularly well-suited for one-on-one negotiations with Kim Jong Un either.

Touching to know I would have your undying support if I put an (R) after my name, though.
For the third time, I don't support a one-on-one meeting but unlike you, I refuse to set my pubes on fire over this until seeing how this plays out.
   1217. Zonk is a Doorknob Whisperer Posted: March 08, 2018 at 09:38 PM (#5635745)
I refuse to set my pubes on fire

Unless Trump tells you to do so...

Then, you'd go all American Pie with a gas can and a pack of matches.
   1218. Stormy JE Posted: March 08, 2018 at 09:38 PM (#5635746)
Third-Highest House Democrat Shared Stage With Farrakhan, Now Refuses To Denounce:
The third-highest ranking House Democrat shared a stage with Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan, a notorious racist and anti-Semite, and has refused to condemn the hate group leader.

South Carolina Rep. James Clyburn attended a 2011 event with Farrakhan and shared the stage with him, even after Jewish groups voiced their opposition to Clyburn attending the event. Clyburn told the Final Call, a Nation of Islam publication, that he was “not bothered in the least bit” by criticisms of his attendance at the event.

As the assistant Democratic leader, Clyburn is the third-highest ranked Democrat in the House. He declined to condemn Farrakhan in a statement released to The Daily Caller News Foundation on Thursday.

“I have fought all my life to advance the cause of social justice and equality, and I have always opposed bigotry in all its forms,” Clyburn said in the statement. His office declined repeated inquiries regarding whether the congressman is willing to condemn Farrakhan, and whether he stood by his decision in 2011 to shrug off criticisms of Farrakhan.

Clyburn is now the eighth House Democrat to have direct ties to Farrakhan. The Republican Jewish Coalition has already called on the seven other Democrats to resign over their ties to Farrakhan.
The no. 3 House Democrat, huh? Oh dear. Not a good look.

EDIT: Better way late than never, Reps. Barbara Lee and Gregory Meeks apparently denounced Farrakhan earlier today.
   1219. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: March 08, 2018 at 09:39 PM (#5635747)
Dept. of Who Cares?

Trump’s North Korea gambit blindsides U.S. diplomats

President Trump’s high-wire gambit to accept a meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un sets off a scramble among U.S. officials to assemble a team capable of supporting a historic summit of longtime adversaries and determine a viable engagement strategy.

State Department officials, including Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, were playing down the immediacy of talks in the hours before the White House rolled out the South Korean national security adviser, who made the surprise announcement that Trump would meet with Kim.

The apparent lack of coordination marked a pattern of mixed messaging that has characterized the Trump administration’s North Korea diplomacy since Pyongyang launched its first intercontinental ballistic missile last year, sparking the Trump White House’s biggest national security crisis to date.

Now the White House has committed to an unprecedented meeting at a time when the administration lacks a fully staffed cadre of diplomats and advisers.

The U.S. point person on North Korea, special envoy Joseph Yun, announced his retirement in late February and has not been replaced. More than a year in, the administration has yet to nominate an ambassador to South Korea. And the Senate has not confirmed the top U.S. diplomat to eastern Asia.

Thursday’s announcement suggested that the White House will be driving the process, but much of the grunt work will go to rank-and-file diplomats.

Hours earlier, Tillerson said there may be no talks at all. “We’re a long way from negotiations. We just need to be very clear-eyed and realistic about it,” Tillerson said. He said he did not yet know whether “the conditions are right to even begin thinking about negotiations.”...

Hmmmmmm, maybe that cabinet post for JE might not be so far off......How does Secretary of State sound?
   1220. Zonk is a Doorknob Whisperer Posted: March 08, 2018 at 09:41 PM (#5635748)
Trump’s North Korea gambit blindsides U.S. diplomats

Diplomats... they're so "last administration".

Jared was looped in, he's all the diplomats we need now.
   1221. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: March 08, 2018 at 09:43 PM (#5635749)
Clyburn is now the eighth House Democrat to have direct ties to Farrakhan. The Republican Jewish Coalition has already called on the seven other Democrats to resign over their ties to Farrakhan.

I wonder how many members of the Republican Jewish Coalition are calling on Republican House members to resign in protest of Trump's lifelong record of racism?

To pick a number (with apologies to John Kelly), it's probably somewhere between zero and none. I guess they're waiting for Trump to call Israel a shithole country.
   1222. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: March 08, 2018 at 09:48 PM (#5635751)
Add another predictable reaction to Trump's trade war:

As Trump imposes tariffs, allies sign on to free-trade pact — without U.S.

As the Trump administration took another step away from free trade on Thursday, 11 nations bordering the Pacific Ocean made an equally loud statement in favor of free trade.

In a signing ceremony in Santiago, Chile — far removed from the Oval Office where Trump imposed new tariffs on steel and aluminum imports — the Pacific nations approved a far-reaching, multilateral free-trade accord that the United States had helped forge but from which Trump withdrew the United States on his first day in office.

“It’s quite a juxtaposition, one of the great ironies of today,” said Michael Froman, who had negotiated the Trans-Pacific Partnership as U.S. trade representative under President Barack Obama. “The rest of the world is moving ahead without us. It shows the divergence of the United States from the rest of the world at the moment.”

The two scenes — in Washington and Santiago — reflect a cultural and political shift. For seven decades, the United States has labored, with some exceptions, to forge a world with lower trade barriers, a way of strengthening the liberal consensus by tying allies closer together. In 1947, 23 nations signed on to the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade, and in 1994, 123 nations signed on to the more sweeping World Trade Organization.

In part because of domestic political pressure, the United States also used trade as a bargaining tool to press for transparency, worker and environmental protections, and economic reforms in countries, most notable among them China, which was eager to join the WTO in 2001.

And the United States has had aid from its allies, from Australia to the European Union, in tearing down barriers. Since the WTO was launched, trade among its members has nearly quadrupled, while average applied tariffs declined by about half to 9 percent.

Although absent from Thursday’s signing in Chile, the United States was the catalyst for the Trans-Pacific Partnership, first under President George W. Bush and later under Obama.

Even without the United States, the new agreement covers nearly 500 million people and more than 13 percent of global trade, down from the 800 million people and 40 percent of trade for which it would have accounted if the United States had joined. That is still the world’s third-largest trade bloc.

“The rest of the world is doing pretty well in keeping momentum going without the United States,” said C. Fred Bergsten, a senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics. He said “nothing could be more dramatically opposite” than Trump’s tariffs and the trade deal signed in Chile....
   1223. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: March 08, 2018 at 09:49 PM (#5635752)
uh, how about his dog whistle today Andy, frequently calling cohn a "globalist"?

and yet JE is silent. go figure.
   1224. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: March 08, 2018 at 09:50 PM (#5635753)
Juan, the 97 pound weakling is your intellect. It's tired of getting slapped around and it's begging for mercy. Show it some. STFU with your Trump swabbing.
   1225. greenback slays lewks Posted: March 08, 2018 at 10:05 PM (#5635756)
Terry Lee Morris was not violent during his 2014 trial in Tarrant County, near Dallas.

Man, Fort Worth doesn't get much respect these days.
   1226. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: March 08, 2018 at 10:07 PM (#5635757)
The good news, Juan, is that you've solidified your standing as Dancing Monkey #3. Since you're all idiots, the only thing holding you back is your style. You're a lummox, unfortunately. Now and forever.
   1227. Zonk is a Doorknob Whisperer Posted: March 08, 2018 at 10:08 PM (#5635758)
Man, Fort Worth doesn't get much respect these days.

Worth less?
   1228. Stormy JE Posted: March 08, 2018 at 10:14 PM (#5635761)
uh, how about his dog whistle today Andy, frequently calling cohn a "globalist"?

and yet JE is silent. go figure.
Meh. Much like "neoconservative" and "RINO," "globalist" is usually a meaningless term. Were it used to describe *only* Jews, that would be another matter.
   1229. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: March 08, 2018 at 10:36 PM (#5635765)
Third-Highest House Democrat Shared Stage With Farrakhan, Now Refuses To Denounce:

Donald Trump: "There were many fine people marching in Charlottesville, on both sides."
   1230. Stormy JE Posted: March 08, 2018 at 10:44 PM (#5635766)
Donald Trump: "There were many fine people marching in Charlottesville, on both sides."
Never mind the rampant whataboutism over the past couple of hours, are lefties here defending Clyburn by claiming he's no worse than Trump? LMAO.
   1231. Zonk is a Doorknob Whisperer Posted: March 08, 2018 at 10:51 PM (#5635768)
Never mind the rampant whataboutism over the past couple of hours, are lefties here defending Clyburn by claiming he's no worse than Trump? LMAO.

Pretty sure the point has been that Farrakhan is probably roughly equal to Trump on the shitbag scale, maybe with some slight variance in scoring but ultimately adding up to the same total score of shitbaggery.

Unfortunately for some people, I suspect the chances that Louis Farrakhan ever wins the Democratic presidential nomination then... President Farrakhan happens are pretty slim.
   1232. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: March 08, 2018 at 10:57 PM (#5635769)

I'm not defending Clyburn's reaction, and I've voiced my opinion about Farrakhan's anti-semitism many times. But to equate what Clyburn did with the hundreds of racist comments and appointments and other actions of Trump is just obscenely and willfully obtuse.

Do you really want to compare James Clyburn's public record on race with that of Donald Trump?

But to answer your question directly: Trump is infinitely worse that Clyburn.
   1233. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: March 08, 2018 at 10:58 PM (#5635771)
Pretty sure the point has been that Farrakhan is probably roughly equal to Trump on the shitbag scale, maybe with some slight variance in scoring but ultimately adding up to the same total score of shitbaggery.

Unfortunately for some people, I suspect the chances that Louis Farrakhan ever wins the Democratic presidential nomination then... President Farrakhan happens are pretty slim.

Donald Trump will serve as the ultimate "whatabout" until the GOP decides rid themselves of the cancer. If they don't -- I have a feeling the mid terms will.
   1234. Stormy JE Posted: March 08, 2018 at 11:01 PM (#5635772)
Pretty sure the point has been that Farrakhan is probably roughly equal to Trump on the shitbag scale,
Trump = Farrakhan? You guys are beyond hysterical.

Farrakhan is probably equal to David Duke on the shitbag scale, although the latter hasn't done much of anything since running for public office in 1991.
   1235. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: March 08, 2018 at 11:01 PM (#5635774)

I'm pretty sure that if it ever comes close to happening, which it won't, I will remain a "Never Farakhan" even if he moves the US Embassy to Orlando.

1236. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: March 08, 2018 at 11:03 PM (#5635776)

They're both racist loons who deal in crackpot conspiracy theories. Farrakhan specializes in anti-semitism, while Trump specializes in bigotry against blacks, Latinos and Muslims. The main difference, of course, is that Trump has far more means to put his racist ideas into policy.

But as long as he's not a 97-pound weakling, and he kicks sand in the direction of the Iran agreement, JE finds him perfectly acceptable.

Obviously this little known fact has completely escaped JE's attention.
   1237. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: March 08, 2018 at 11:04 PM (#5635777)

Farrakhan is probably equal to David Duke on the shitbag scale, although the latter hasn't done much of anything since running for public office in 1991.

I'll give you Trump not as bad a Farrakhan. Kind of like Mussolini was not as bad a Hitler. Now, how the #### do you keep supporting Mussolini? Other thn the fact that he promised to ove the embassy to Jerusalem?
   1238. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: March 08, 2018 at 11:08 PM (#5635778)

Obviously words, not actions, are the only form of racism that you acknowledge. Christ, you probably think that Jesse Jackson is more of a racist than Trump.

Whereas allowing for era adjustments, Trump is roughly equal to Tom Watson in the latter stages of his career, equally racist and demagogic, but unfortunately with much more power at his disposal.
   1239. Stormy JE Posted: March 08, 2018 at 11:10 PM (#5635779)
Now, how the #### do you keep supporting Mussolini? Other thn the fact that he promised to ove the embassy to Jerusalem?
Mussolini was tossed out on his ass more than a quarter-century before I was born but I'm pretty certain Trump hasn't governed like Mussolini.
   1240. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: March 08, 2018 at 11:10 PM (#5635780)
I'm pretty sure that if it ever comes close to happening, which it won't, I will remain a "Never Farakhan" even if he moves the US Embassy to Orlando.

It's amazing how little it took for JE to sell his soul to Trump.
   1241. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: March 08, 2018 at 11:11 PM (#5635781)
Mussolini was tossed out on his ass more than a quarter-century before I was born but I'm pretty certain Trump hasn't governed like Mussolini.

The Point

Your head
   1242. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: March 08, 2018 at 11:15 PM (#5635783)

30 pieces of silver?
   1243. Zonk is a Doorknob Whisperer Posted: March 08, 2018 at 11:17 PM (#5635784)
I'll give you Trump not as bad a Farrakhan. Kind of like Mussolini was not as bad a Hitler. Now, how the #### do you keep supporting Mussolini?

Nah, let's score them...

Both love themselves some conspiracy theories; spreading them, helping them along, etc.

Farrakhan beats Trump in pure, distilled bigotry; Trump is more scattershot. Farrakhan, as they say in 4X games, "plays tall". Trump "plays wide". Still, I'd probably give Farrakhan the higher score here because depth beats breadth.

However, while Farrakhan has no shortage of sexist things he's said (certainly equal to Trump) - Trump has 19 women accusing him of various forms of sexual malfeasance and I'm not aware of any accusations of the same sort against Farrakhan (however, I'm by no means a Farrakhan expert nor do I care enough to become one). Trump, of course, is also on tape bragging about his ability to do the very things women have accused him of.

Likewise, while most such folks (religiosos, politicos, some activistios) certainly live pretty damn comfortable lives - I think Trump beats Farrakhan on the crookedness scale. FFS, this guy used charities to buy himself baubles and settle lawsuits. He even usurped his son's charity to get his company some tax deductions.

Oh, and they both score equally on the "get pissy when the park service doesn't say BIGGEST CROWD EVAH!" scale.

Add it up?

I think they're equals on the shitbag scale.
   1244. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: March 08, 2018 at 11:19 PM (#5635785)

30 pieces of silver?

JE = Judas Escariot? Asking for a friend.
   1245. Stormy JE Posted: March 08, 2018 at 11:20 PM (#5635786)
Six months ago: Trump threatening Kim is incredibly reckless!

Six minutes ago: Trump meeting with Kim is incredibly reckless!

Not a good look, fellas.
   1246. Zonk is a Doorknob Whisperer Posted: March 08, 2018 at 11:21 PM (#5635787)
Not a good look, fellas.

I don't take fashion advice from people who think they look good in orange.
   1247. Ray (CTL) Posted: March 08, 2018 at 11:22 PM (#5635788)
This forum has been fairly unreadable over the past few days.
   1248. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: March 08, 2018 at 11:32 PM (#5635789)

Because you don't speak English?
   1249. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: March 08, 2018 at 11:35 PM (#5635790)
Because his nanny forgot to buy him those little marshmallows that he likes in his hot cocoa. He's not himself.
   1250. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: March 08, 2018 at 11:37 PM (#5635793)
Let’s go meta for fifty posts before Lyin’ Ray says he’s finished talking about the topic he introduced.
   1251. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: March 08, 2018 at 11:41 PM (#5635796)
@deep_beige:
I can’t pretend this North korea turn isn’t funny. Obama got called ‘Niville Chamberling’ by tcots for 8 years because he talked to Iran and President MAGA is gonna he photographed sharing a giant thing of cotton candy with Kim Jong Un
   1252. BDC Posted: March 08, 2018 at 11:41 PM (#5635797)
I don’t understand why Trump supporters can say nothing positive about their guy. It is always “what about Farrakhan” or something equally irrelevant, instead of “how about them drone strikes?” or “steel tariffs are sure going to bring back the Edsel” or “hey, I’d have done Stormy Daniels, too.”

Though I guess “He ranted like a drunk on Twitter about Kim Jong Un” is a form of praise :)
   1253. Stormy JE Posted: March 08, 2018 at 11:46 PM (#5635801)
Obama got called ‘Niville Chamberling’ by tcots for 8 years because he talked to Iran
Don't needlessly insult Chamberlain, who inherited a shitty situation by Baldwin. In contrast, we had the mullahs on the ropes and yet Obama chose to give them the store, including the clothes off his back.
   1254. tshipman Posted: March 08, 2018 at 11:51 PM (#5635802)
Don't needlessly insult Chamberlain, who inherited a shitty situation by Baldwin. In contrast, we had the mullahs on the ropes and Obama chose to give them the store, including the clothes off his back.

Who put those sanctions in place?
   1255. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: March 08, 2018 at 11:53 PM (#5635803)
Don't needlessly insult Chamberlain, who inherited a shitty situation by Baldwin. In contrast, we had the mullahs on the ropes and yet Obama chose to give them the store, including the clothes off his back.

yep. Barack Hussein Obama played the ultimate long con.
   1256. Stormy JE Posted: March 08, 2018 at 11:59 PM (#5635806)
Mostly Congress.
   1257. Zonk is a Doorknob Whisperer Posted: March 09, 2018 at 12:01 AM (#5635807)

Mostly Congress.

My understanding of congress passing sanctions is that implementation of them is completely optional and at the discretion of the President.

Or is this only recently true?
   1258. tshipman Posted: March 09, 2018 at 12:30 AM (#5635814)
Mostly Congress.

Congress put sanctions in place from European countries?

That's a whole new meaning of omnibus.
   1259. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: March 09, 2018 at 04:54 AM (#5635826)

Whereas allowing for era adjustments, Trump is roughly equal to Tom Watson in the latter stages of his career, equally racist and demagogic, but unfortunately with much more power at his disposal.
The golfer? The founder of IBM? ?
   1260. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: March 09, 2018 at 05:22 AM (#5635827)
He means Tom Watson, the famed assistant to Alexander Graham Bell, but less known for his historic response:

BELL: Come here, Watson! I want you!

WATSON: Why don't you ask one of your dirty Jew moneymen to help? What kind of phony name is Bell, anyway? Irish, Scottish? I'll bet it's short for Bellandini. Or Bellshtien, you Kraut. Sprechen sie Deutsch?
   1261. -- Posted: March 09, 2018 at 06:29 AM (#5635828)

It really has. They're actually getting more unhinged which is ... well, there are no real words for it. JE hit it perfectly with the six months ago/six seconds ago thing about North Korea. Not to mention all the ponderous and boring and insecurity-baring personal insults and The Tao of Troll and all the rest in lieu of any kind of engagement or substantive argument.

The performance yesterday was an embarrassment, topped off by yet another delusional rant by The Pedantic Dilettante of the type that typically gets drunk uncles banished to the basement and it apparently got worse into the night with the North Korea stuff.

I'm about done. The only other alternative is the ignore button, which I'm not really into.
   1262. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: March 09, 2018 at 06:44 AM (#5635829)
Someone with a hardier stomach than I will have to summarize the contents and quality of the recent contributions by the crestfallen posters who find everyone else "unreadable."
   1263. Lassus Posted: March 09, 2018 at 07:12 AM (#5635831)
It's easy to be right about everything when everything that happens proves everything you think.
   1264. Random Transaction Generator Posted: March 09, 2018 at 07:19 AM (#5635832)

Not a good look, fellas.

There is a middle ground between "threatening" someone and "providing them a wonderful photo opportunity".

The fact that Trump can't seem to find it, and you think that meeting Kim in person makes him "tough" is not a good look.
   1265. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: March 09, 2018 at 07:28 AM (#5635833)

Not to mention all the ponderous and boring and insecurity-baring personal insults and The Tao of Troll and all the rest in lieu of any kind of engagement or substantive argument.

The performance yesterday was an embarrassment
At least he's not totally self-unaware, folks.
   1266. -- Posted: March 09, 2018 at 07:28 AM (#5635834)
Someone with a hardier stomach than I will have to summarize the contents and quality of the recent contributions by the crestfallen posters who find everyone else "unreadable."

You remember in Heathers when the bullets turned out to be real, and Kurt and Ram wound up dead? Winona Ryder had some conscience pangs, and Christian Slater assured her that all was for the best because all K & R brought to the school was date rape and AIDS jokes?

That's kind of where we are with some of your people. And it's not only that, but there's kind of the unwanted voyeur position they put you into wherein you have to watch their inadequacies manifest themselves in a public forum. Uncomfortable, indeed.
   1267. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: March 09, 2018 at 07:34 AM (#5635835)

The golfer? The founder of IBM? ?

Sorry that your knowledge of history is about the equivalent of Stretchy's knowledge of the law, but maybe this will help you out.
   1268. -- Posted: March 09, 2018 at 07:38 AM (#5635837)
1265. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: March 09, 2018 at 07:28 AM (#5635833)
[ Ignored Comment ]

You have my best wishes. If they come to try to commit you, take your own advice and don't talk to them without a lawyer.
   1269. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: March 09, 2018 at 07:43 AM (#5635838)
The fact that Trump can't seem to find it, and you think that meeting Kim in person makes him "tough" is not a good look.
That's not what he said. He said that Trump isn't likely to get pushed around, and that he has talked tough, unlike the way Obama did with Iran. While the latter is true, I don't find it comforting. Trump does talk tough, but that's all it is; like all bullies he's a synonym-for-cat-that-the-nanny-doesn't-allow. He may start a nuclear war by talking tough, but he's not going to drive a hard bargain.
   1270. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 09, 2018 at 07:43 AM (#5635839)
It's easy to be right about everything when everything that happens proves everything you think

One of the key attractants of Dittohead conservatism is a complete lack of self-reflection bolstered by limited acknowledgement of reality. Donald Trump, a fat, bald, hysteric, spray-tanned, bleach-blonde pudding of a man being held up by our own Juan as a Charles Atlas exemplar of masculinity is an obvious recent example, but this sort of complete break for reality is the result of years of willful ignorance. There’s no better example of this than the Great War of Adventure in Iraq, where opponents were tarred as terrorist sympathizers and America-haters, every single development was loudly championed as a good sign for Republican sloganeering (“Things are going well! See, you hippies were wrong!” “Things are going poorly? This will strengthen our national resolve behind President Bush - you hippies do support our troops don’t you?!”), and when the disaster was finally manifest to even the most delusional of Dittohead...nothing. No mea culpa, no diminishment of flag-waving certitude, no loss of credibility by the pompous pundits like Charles Krauthammer who, one week after the start of the ground war, announced that he was generously willing to accept apologies from those pants-wetting sissies who thought the Great War of Adventure would go poorly.

Being not just stupid, and not just wrong, but proudly, aggressively, and unapologetically stupid and wrong - that’s the mindset that had to be cultivated to put a sackless fat body blowhard like a Donald Trump in office and proclaim him a brilliant leader. There’s a reason his base is built of Creationists, science-haters, and rubes, all well-schooled at ignoring reality in favor of simple childish narratives. It couldn’t be composed any other way.
   1271. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: March 09, 2018 at 07:49 AM (#5635841)
SBB, #1266:
You remember in Heathers when the bullets turned out to be real, and Kurt and Ram wound up dead? Winona Ryder had some conscience pangs, and Christian Slater assured her that all was for the best because all K & R brought to the school was date rape and AIDS jokes?

That's kind of where we are with some of your people. And it's not only that, but there's kind of the unwanted voyeur position they put you into wherein you have to watch their inadequacies manifest themselves in a public forum. Uncomfortable, indeed.

Would this represent an example of the non-ponderous, substantive clarity of thought you very sincerely feel this board has been lacking?

#1268:
[ Ignored Comment ]

From the previous page, this pithy piece of inadequate, unhinged TDS from David Who? was much too good for anyone to ignore:
[SBB] has simultaneously argued that Steele made up all the information, that it came from the Kremlin, that it was in collusion with the Kremlin, and that the Kremlin is so upset about Steele getting the information that it's killing people for that. (All while lying and saying that Hillary, rather than Steele, did these things.) Even stupid people don't believe all those things simultaneously.
   1272. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 09, 2018 at 07:51 AM (#5635842)
Sorry that your knowledge of history is about the equivalent of Stretchy's knowledge of the law

Unless he says Henry Ford invented the automobile and succeeded Richard Nixon as president, this was uncalled for.
   1273. -- Posted: March 09, 2018 at 07:54 AM (#5635843)
Would this represent an example of the non-ponderous, substantive clarity you very sincerely feel this board has been lacking?

Oh, it's quite clear.

From the previous page, this pithy piece of inadequate, unhinged TDS from David Who? was much too good for anyone to ignore:

I didn't ignore it, or ... cough ... the rest of his unhinged rant. Tiresome, boring, now is the time Sprockets when we ignore.
   1274. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: March 09, 2018 at 07:54 AM (#5635844)

Not a good look, fellas.

It was briefly addressed up thread, but WTF?

Trump threatening a foreign leader, one know to be unstable, right before the Olympics (Held right next to that leaders country) IS reckless! Do you disagree? Seriously do you think what happened between the US and NK last year was solid well thought out diplomacy?

Secondly you yourself have (tepidly) spoken out against the two leaders meeting face to face. You think it is a bad idea!

You do realize that BOTH can be bad ideas? Don't be a complete and total idiot Jason, you know both are bad ideas, trying to pretend that people who say so are being hypocritical is ridiculous and dumb. Pick a lane dude, either ridiculous or dumb, but don't be in both lanes at once.
   1275. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 09, 2018 at 07:59 AM (#5635845)
Don't be a complete and total idiot Jason

Don’t tell him what to do.
   1276. Zonk is a Doorknob Whisperer Posted: March 09, 2018 at 08:15 AM (#5635849)
It was briefly addressed up thread, but WTF?

It's actually even simpler than that because as per usual, the Trumpkins ignore Trump the real person who has done and said the things Trump has done and said, instead pretending like he's some vague hypothetical.

So, if one pretends Trump isn't Trump/hasn't acted like Trump - one might think "well golly, they can't both be true".... but if one remembers Trump is Trump, then you generally just end up with:

Six months ago: Trump is incredibly reckless!

Six minutes ago: Trump is incredibly reckless!
   1277. Lassus Posted: March 09, 2018 at 08:29 AM (#5635851)

Just caught this. Awful.
   1278. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: March 09, 2018 at 08:43 AM (#5635853)
but if one remembers Trump is Trump

Yeah, I am not against negotiations with NK. Just like I am not against negotiations with Russia*, Iran**, or anyone else. I am against Trump negotiating with anyone.

And for the record North Korea is arguably the worst, worse than Iran, worse than Russia, just literally the worst. Being even partly open to the idea of meeting with them with zero groundwork or any other due diligence done is horrifying. But (R), so it is basically OK - though I hear there is the occasional tepid chirp of "I am against this one part of it."

* Weird how this "reset" is totally OK, but Obama reaching out to Russia was crazy and dumb.
**I suspect some here think no country should ever negotiate with Iran, except at the other end of a gun sight.
   1279. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: March 09, 2018 at 08:46 AM (#5635854)

Just caught this. Awful.

Yeah, no kidding. Diplomacy is about long term negotiations and effects. It is not about getting a contract set just so, so you can screw your subcontractor out of their pay when the job is done. The "idea" that there is a relationship between being able to drive a hard bargain in NYC real estate and negotiating a treaty with an adversarial country to reduce world tensions is frightening and laughable, ESPECIALLY since the guy doing the negotiating thinks everything is zero sum, that in order to "win" the other side has to clearly "lose".

Ugh. Go back to playing golf and banging porn stars.
   1280. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: March 09, 2018 at 08:52 AM (#5635856)
Here is an interesting read about Mueller and press leaks - Mueller tight-lipped as media leaks shape Russia narrative

“I’m sure that the special counsel’s office is not pleased to see matters that are relevant to their investigation spinning out of control in the press,” said Melinda Haag, a former federal prosecutor who worked with Mueller when he was a U.S. attorney in the late 1990s. “But I’m guessing they don’t view it as their job to try to manage that.”

Mueller has shown he’s determined to avoid leaks on his own. High-profile visitors are whisked into the special counsel’s Washington headquarters from a heavily guarded underground garage, out of sight of the TV cameras camped out on the sidewalks below. Before being dismissed, witnesses are admonished not to talk about their visits.

So far, Mueller has only spoken to the public through court documents bearing his signature and those of his deputy prosecutors. A motion filed last summer to keep sealed the charges against former Trump campaign adviser George Papadopoulous explained the reasoning. Public disclosure “may alert other subjects to the direction and status of the investigation,” Mueller prosecutor Aaron Zelinsky wrote, and prompt them to “destroy or conceal incriminating evidence.”

Several of the attorneys representing clients mired in the Russia probe told POLITICO they appreciate Mueller’s no-comment policy.

“Mueller is doing it the right way,” said one lawyer. “The most important thing he’s trying to do is create trust and trust that people who give him information know that it is not going to be leaked.”

There is a funny paragraph talking about the Kenneth Starr investigation, so click through and read the article.
   1281. Zonk is a Doorknob Whisperer Posted: March 09, 2018 at 08:57 AM (#5635857)
Yeah, I am not against negotiations with NK. Just like I am not against negotiations with Russia*, Iran**, or anyone else. I am against Trump negotiating with anyone.

And for the record North Korea is arguably the worst, worse than Iran, worse than Russia, just literally the worst. Being even partly open to the idea of meeting with them with zero groundwork or any other due diligence done is horrifying. But (R), so it is basically OK - though I hear there is the occasional tepid chirp of "I am against this one part of it."

There's also the difference that unlike Russia (who is a world power) or Iran (whose goal is economic normalization) - NK alone has long had as a goal a bilateral, one-on-one, meeting-as-equals with the US. This goes all the way back to Un's dad and grandfather as the peak of NK diplomatic achievement.

Unlike every other rogue nation or tyrannical regime on the planet - NK values such a meeting as a matter of 'prestige'. The meeting in-and-of-itself is worth something to them.

So, I'm not against meeting with NK either... but it's asinine not to extract something from NK in exchange for this thing that they have long valued.
   1282. Zonk is a Doorknob Whisperer Posted: March 09, 2018 at 08:59 AM (#5635858)
Here is an interesting read about Mueller and press leaks - Mueller tight-lipped as media leaks shape Russia narrative

Dammit. I was going to post that.

But I was slow in thinking of a snarky comment in response to Ray's "that's a myth!" view on Mueller leaks... After all, we've got a "fairly unreadable" reputation to uphold!
   1283. -- Posted: March 09, 2018 at 09:05 AM (#5635860)
Trump threatening a foreign leader, one know to be unstable, right before the Olympics (Held right next to that leaders country) IS reckless! Do you disagree? Seriously do you think what happened between the US and NK last year was solid well thought out diplomacy?

It resulted in that foreign leader returning hat-in-hand, unconditionally to the Olympics and then begging -- again unconditionally -- for a meeting.

The usual suspects thought it would result in the world blowing up.
   1284. -- Posted: March 09, 2018 at 09:09 AM (#5635862)

We had an election on that matter, and you lost.
   1285. Lassus Posted: March 09, 2018 at 09:14 AM (#5635863)

So shut up and get the #### back in line, I guess.
   1286. Traderdave Posted: March 09, 2018 at 09:22 AM (#5635866)
There is a significant chance Il Duce walks back his pledge to meet Kim.
   1287. -- Posted: March 09, 2018 at 09:22 AM (#5635867)
So shut up and get the #### back in line, I guess.

Reflect on the reasons for the loss, fix them, respect the results of the election like rational adults, and do better in the next election.

Previous presidents have gotten rolled by NK and now here we are. Trump may get rolled, he may not, but there's no reason to pretend previous presidents were some kind of negotiating savants.

1288. Lassus Posted: March 09, 2018 at 09:29 AM (#5635871)
respect the results of the election like rational adults

Great idea.
Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

In his own words, @BarackObama "was born in Kenya, and raised in Indonesia and Hawaii." This statement was made, (cont) http://tl.gd/hkim3j

1:13 PM - May 30, 2012

Congratulations to @RealSheriffJoe on his successful Cold Case Posse investigation which claims @BarackObama's 'birth certificate' is fake

10:56 AM - Jul 18, 2012
   1289. -- Posted: March 09, 2018 at 09:31 AM (#5635874)
Washington Post:

For the moment, at least, it appears to be a clear-cut victory — the biggest foreign policy win of his young administration. President Trump has brought his arch-nemesis, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, a.k.a. “Little Rocket Man,” to the table to negotiate away his nuclear arsenal.

Optimists declared a major breakthrough. Even pessimists acknowledged that Trump’s hard line against Pyongyang, after decades of less forceful U.S. effort, played a significant role in moving one of the world’s most vexing and threatening problems in a potentially positive direction.

But in the afterglow of the surprise announcement — hinted by Trump in a teasing visit to the White House press room and soon confirmed by South Korea’s national security adviser, standing in the West Wing driveway — questions were fast and furious.

See, this is really the right way to view this. Might Trump #### it up from here? Sure. But there's no doubt that this was a big diplomatic win.
   1290. -- Posted: March 09, 2018 at 09:33 AM (#5635876)
Great idea.

In his own words, @BarackObama "was born in Kenya, and raised in Indonesia and Hawaii." This statement was made, (cont) http://tl.gd/hkim3j

1:13 PM - May 30, 2012

Congratulations to @RealSheriffJoe on his successful Cold Case Posse investigation which claims @BarackObama's 'birth certificate' is fake

10:56 AM - Jul 18, 2012

You asked, I answered. Not sure how this stuff is relevant. Trump ran for president, we had an election pursuant to our constitutional procedure, he won. End of story.

You and yours said certain things about him were disqualifying, those things were presented to the electorate, and your assertions did not carry the day. That's constitutionalism. There's another election in a few months. Make your case with better candidates next time. Last time, with H Clinton, whom you never should have selected, was a dismal fail.
   1291. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: March 09, 2018 at 09:33 AM (#5635878)
It resulted in that foreign leader returning hat-in-hand, unconditionally to the Olympics and then begging -- again unconditionally -- for a meeting.

Wait you think NK should have demanded conditions for a meeting with the US? That is the only choice given you are seemingly impressed about "unconditionally", and that is ridiculous.

Hey doofus, the US should have conditions. We are in a position of power relative to North freaking Korea. Man, you are dumb. I do have a favor to ask though, can you put me on ignore like you did David?
   1292. Zonk is a Doorknob Whisperer Posted: March 09, 2018 at 09:38 AM (#5635880)
Giving NK what they've sought for 30 years constitutes a "win"?

Spare me - All three of the Kims would have gladly and happily met with any President going back to HW. Its what THEY wanted. How in god's name is it a win to give Kim exactly what he wants?

NK first agreeing to suspend its nuclear development would be one thing, but promising to talk about it? Well, gee, no #### - I imagine it comes up as a topic.

So much winning.

If you dumb Trumpkins have reached the point where agreeing to meet one-on-one with Kim Jong Un constitutes a "win"... yeesh. HW, Clinton, Bush, and Obama could have chalked up easy wins by just saying "yes" to the repeated requests for bilateral meetings proffered to each of them.
   1293. -- Posted: March 09, 2018 at 09:40 AM (#5635881)
If you dumb Trumpkins have reached the point where agreeing to meet one-on-one with Kim Jong Un constitutes a "win"... yeesh.

Bring it up with the Post.(*) It's an obvious win, plain as day.

(*) Even pessimists acknowledged that Trump’s hard line against Pyongyang, after decades of less forceful U.S. effort, played a significant role in moving one of the world’s most vexing and threatening problems in a potentially positive direction..

There's pessimism ... and then there's TDS.
   1294. Lassus Posted: March 09, 2018 at 09:40 AM (#5635882)
Not sure how this stuff is relevant.

Seems relevant to your support of an irrational President, by your own definition of what consists of rational. YMMV.
   1295. BrianBrianson Posted: March 09, 2018 at 09:41 AM (#5635883)
If you're North Korea, why not ask about concessions? You might get them.
   1296. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: March 09, 2018 at 09:42 AM (#5635884)

This is dumber than dumb. We had an election on what now? You are claiming everything Obama (and every president) did was totally justified by winning election and in Obama's case reelection, all his policy choices, foreign and domestic are completely valid because of those elections and no one has standing to criticize any of them because of the elections?

Because that is the bar you are setting for GOP President Trump. We don't elect dictators Stretchy. It is American to express our opinions, even those contrary to the actions of our elected leaders. Someone needs to go back to school and learn about elections and democracy.

Losing an election doesn't automatically validate everything the winner does until the next election. Only Stretchy and the Authoritarian Club would ever think it does.
   1297. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: March 09, 2018 at 09:44 AM (#5635886)
Bring it up with the Post.(*) It's an obvious win, plain as day.

So today the unlinked Post article is authoritative. Convenient. But hey arguing with the post on my screen is more productive than arguing with stretchy.
   1298. -- Posted: March 09, 2018 at 09:45 AM (#5635888)
We had an election on what now?

Who the person to negotiate with foreign nations would be. That renders this:

I am against Trump negotiating with anyone.

... inoperative. It's like saying, "I am against rain."
   1299. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: March 09, 2018 at 09:48 AM (#5635890)
Who the person to negotiate with foreign nations would be.

No one on Earth, but our dear stretchy, would put it that way and no one has suggested Trump doesn't have the authority to exercise the duties of his office.

Everyone on Earth is skeptical of Trump's competence to do so, but sure he has the authority. Myself I would still rather GOP President Trump go golfing and bang some porn stars (with consent on all sides). I even vote he takes you with him, I am sure it would be the highlight of your stretched out existence.
   1300. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: March 09, 2018 at 09:50 AM (#5635892)
... inoperative. It's like saying, "I am against rain."

No, it is like saying "I am against Hurricanes killing thousands and wrecking billions of dollars of damage. We should act to mitigate the damage done, preferably before hand if possible."
Page 13 of 19 pages ‹ First  < 11 12 13 14 15 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Tuque
for his generous support.