Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, August 07, 2017

OTP 7 August 2017: Women’s Rights, Baseball And Politics: 12 Talks Not To Miss At Martha’s Vineyard Book Festival

“Tweets, Leaks, and Turmoil: Covering the Trump White House”

This sold-out opening panel (the only event that requires paid tickets) features the subject that has embroiled the nation and every corner of social media: the White House.

Ashley Parker (Washington Post) and Glenn Thrush (New York Times), highly regarded White House correspondents from dueling papers, will discuss covering the administration in a period of uncontrolled leaks, Twitter feuds and shake-ups. Specific details will likely be determined by whatever President Trump tweets that day.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 07, 2017 at 07:39 AM | 2147 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: books, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 22 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›
   1. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 07, 2017 at 08:58 AM (#5507689)
One big problem the Democratic Party has is its concentration in urban areas. It is tough to win offices across the nation when your support is heavily concentrated in cities.

Exurbs Begin to Turn Away from Republicans

“Data from Gallup show 45.5% of adults in exurban communities self-identified as Republican in the second quarter of 2017, down from 49.6% in the first quarter of 2017 and 51.6% in the fourth quarter of 2016. It was also the lowest quarterly number for self-identified Republicans in the exurbs since 2013, the earliest numbers available.”

“The data also showed an increase in self-identified Democrats in exurban counties to 40.5% from 37.3% in the first quarter of 2017 and 36.8% in the fourth quarter of 2016. The 40.5% was the highest number recorded from Democrats since 2013.”
   2. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 07, 2017 at 09:02 AM (#5507691)
Trump: "We Will Have So Much Winning If I Get Elected That You May Get Bored With Winning"

Partisans trade places on whether their side is ‘losing’ more than ‘winning’

A new Pew Research survey finds that 42% of Republican voters say their side has been winning more on the important issues, while 46% say their side has been losing.

3. Lassus Posted: August 07, 2017 at 09:11 AM (#5507695)
GoT discussions should move not here, but to the Syndergaard thread, if anyone cares.
   4. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: August 07, 2017 at 09:13 AM (#5507696)
Well, he'll always have rural America... because his policies have been great for them.
   5. Traderdave Posted: August 07, 2017 at 09:27 AM (#5507703)
I recall looking at the county by county map on election night (or maybe the night after) wondering how & why agricultural areas would be voting for a trade war, but I guess those folks forgot to check with me first.
   6. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 07, 2017 at 09:31 AM (#5507707)
I have a strong recollection that someone nameless who has posted in this particular thread routinely pooh-poohed the listing of polls last year. Wonder why that is.
   7. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 07, 2017 at 09:33 AM (#5507708)
I think this is an oversell, since Americans love their comeback stories, but still ... Trump’s Fledgling Presidency Has Already Collapsed

Signs of the disintegration have popped up everywhere. The usual staff turmoil came to a boil in the course of ten days, during which the following occurred: The president denounced his own attorney general in public, the press secretary quit, a new communications director came aboard, the chief of staff was fired, the communications director accused the chief strategist of auto-fellatio in an interview, then he was himself fired. Meanwhile, the secretary of State and national-security adviser were both reported to be eyeing the exits. (Against this colorful backdrop, the ominous news that Robert Mueller had convened a grand jury barely registered.)

More disturbingly for Trump, Republicans in Congress have openly broken ranks. When the Senate voted down the latest (and weakest) proposal to repeal Obamacare, Trump demanded the chamber resume the effort, as he has before. This time, Republican leaders defied him and declared the question settled for the year. When the president threatened to withhold promised payments to insurers in retribution, Republicans in Congress proposed to continue making them. Senate Judiciary Committee chairman Charles Grassley, responding to the president’s threat to sack Jeff Sessions, announced he had no time to confirm a new attorney general. Many Republican senators have endorsed bills to block the president from firing the special counsel.

8. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 07, 2017 at 09:37 AM (#5507711)
First term incumbents are usually immune from this sort of thing ... usually.

Republican Shadow Campaign for 2020 Takes Shape as Trump Doubts Grow

The would-be candidates are cultivating some of the party’s most prominent donors, courting conservative interest groups and carefully enhancing their profiles. Mr. Trump has given no indication that he will decline to seek a second term.

But the sheer disarray surrounding this presidency — the intensifying investigation by the special counsel Robert S. Mueller III and the plain uncertainty about what Mr. Trump will do in the next week, let alone in the next election — have prompted Republican officeholders to take political steps unheard-of so soon into a new administration.
   9. Renegade (((JE))) Posted: August 07, 2017 at 09:38 AM (#5507714)
More disturbingly for Trump, Republicans in Congress have openly broken ranks.
But zonkie swore this was unpossible!
   10. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 07, 2017 at 09:44 AM (#5507719)
But zonkie swore this was unpossible!

Over the Obama administration the GOP showed a very strong cohesion. In fact the GOP is renown for its internal discipline. It says something, something ominous for the GOP, that only 6 months or so of Trump have broken that, so shattered Reagan's 11th commandment and other related issues.

A sitting GOP Senator publishing scathing opinions of the sitting GOP President, a GOP House and Senate passing laws to specifically limit the power of that same President, and the GOP President opening working against GOP Senators up soon for re-election ... well I don't know that anyone really saw all that coming.
   11. Traderdave Posted: August 07, 2017 at 09:44 AM (#5507721)
I considered starting a new thread with this but I suppose it belongs here:

The Sad Failure Of Donald Trump's Desperate Attempt At A Baseball League

http://deadspin.com/the-sad-failure-of-donald-trumps-desperate-attempt-at-a-1797451274

Does anyone remember this? I certainly don't. But it has baseball, Trump and Pia Zadora, the holy trifecta.
   12. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: August 07, 2017 at 09:48 AM (#5507727)
So Trump must have sick persuasion skills.

Ray, if the media spent half the time focusing on me than they did on Trump, i would have gotten 10% of the vote.
   13. PreservedFish Posted: August 07, 2017 at 09:53 AM (#5507731)
A sitting GOP Senator publishing scathing opinions of the sitting GOP President, a GOP House and Senate passing laws to specifically limit the power of that same President, and the GOP President opening working against GOP Senators up soon for re-election ... well I don't know that anyone really saw all that coming.

Trump sucks, so I will assume that these GOP men are just doing what's right for the country. Good for them.
   14. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 07, 2017 at 09:56 AM (#5507735)
Trump sucks, so I will assume that these GOP men are just doing what's right for the country. Good for them.

Some of them are, sure. Despite Ray being sure otherwise, many politicians on all sides are motivated to some degree or another by a desire to do what is right. Of course many politicians, also on all sides, are motivated by somewhat baser emotions and desires.

Motivations don't mean much, it is mostly what they are trying to accomplish that matters to me.
   15. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: August 07, 2017 at 09:59 AM (#5507738)
I recall looking at the county by county map on election night (or maybe the night after) wondering how & why agricultural areas would be voting for a trade war, but I guess those folks forgot to check with me first.

Yeah - and the thing is, it's not as if farmers and those in adjacent industries* have an unsophisticated understanding of this. Of course, Hillary got goaded into opposing the TPP, too.... but had she won, I'm betting we might have seen some lame duck action and a quick signing by Obama, perhaps even with a handshake understanding.

*Something that gets the short shrift, too... i.e., people work at grain elevators, slaughterhouses, truck drivers and trains to move the stuff, etc.
   16. BDC Posted: August 07, 2017 at 10:09 AM (#5507751)
Meanwhile there is general scorn for Trump's extended golf vacation, but I can't see why. Let him stay out on the course as long as possible. If he suggests that he might should back to the White House, tell him no problem, Eisenhower spent eight months once working on his sand wedge technique.
   17. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 07, 2017 at 10:15 AM (#5507760)
Meanwhile there is general scorn for Trump's extended golf vacation, but I can't see why. Let him stay out on the course as long as possible. If he suggests that he might should back to the White House, tell him no problem, Eisenhower spent eight months once working on his sand wedge technique.

It's fair to tweak Trump over all his vacation time, given the scorn he heaped on Obama for taking off far less (not to mention the costs. He apparently wants to kick transgenders out of the military because of their tremendous medical costs, when in reality they cost no more than 1 trip to Mar-A-lago).

But to be fair, the West Wing is undergoing major rnovations which would be difficult if not impossible to accomplish with POTUS in residence.
   18. Renegade (((JE))) Posted: August 07, 2017 at 10:18 AM (#5507763)
The US Marines tested all-male squads against mixed-gender ones, and the results were pretty bleak:
All branches of the military are facing a January 1, 2016, deadline to open all combat roles to women. The Marine Corps is using this experiment to decide whether to request exceptions to that mandate. The Corps’ summary of the experiment, posted online today by NPR, concludes that combat teams were less effective when they included women.

Overall, the report says, all-male teams and crews outperformed mixed-gender ones on 93 out of 134 tasks evaluated. All-male teams were universally faster “in each tactical movement.” ...

Such conclusions may be disheartening to proponents of gender integration in combat, and certainly put a damper on the news that the Army’s ranger school recently graduated its first female soldiers. The tests come with at least one important caveat: As the Marine Corps Times notes, many of of the male study participants had previously served in combat units, whereas female participants, by necessity, came directly from infantry schools or from noncombat jobs. ...

The Marine Corps summary report does not indicate or suggest that the Marines will be asking for an exception to the military’s integration mandate. However, it does quote this somber section of a 1992 government study on gender integration in the armed forces:

A military unit at maximum combat effectiveness is a military unit least likely to suffer casualties. Winning in war is often only a matter of inches, and unnecessary distraction or any dilution of the combat effectiveness puts the mission and lives in jeopardy. Risking the lives of a military unit in combat to provide career opportunities or accommodate the personal desires or interests of an individual, or group of individuals, is more than bad military judgment. It is morally wrong.
   19. PreservedFish Posted: August 07, 2017 at 10:19 AM (#5507764)
Farmers had no good choices. Trump is against cheap labor but anti-regulation, Hillary is the opposite. (Maybe you probably fool yourself into believing that Trump's new bilateral trading style would eventually reap benefits.) I guess tie goes to the social conservative.
   20. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 07, 2017 at 10:25 AM (#5507770)
The tests come with at least one important caveat: As the Marine Corps Times notes, many of of the male study participants had previously served in combat units, whereas female participants, by necessity, came directly from infantry schools or from noncombat jobs. ...

That's not really a direct comparison then, is it. Unless you think prior combat experience has no effect on performance in these sorts of tests. Imagine comparing the performance of a team of experienced trauma center clinicians to a team with many first-year residents in managing a large-scale medical emergency, nobody would expect similar outcomes.
   21. BDC Posted: August 07, 2017 at 10:38 AM (#5507779)
somber section of a 1992 government study … unnecessary distraction or any dilution of the combat effectiveness puts the mission and lives in jeopardy. Risking the lives of a military unit in combat to provide career opportunities or accommodate the personal desires or interests of an individual, or group of individuals, is more than bad military judgment. It is morally wrong

Sounds like 1992, all right :)

I am actually quite OK with limiting combat roles to personnel who meet PT and marksmanship standards, etc., and if men do better statistically speaking and thus are mostly the ones in combat, I see nothing wrong with that. At the same time, it would seem wrong to keep individual excellent women out of certain roles just because of gender.

The rest of that 1992 spiel seems to imply that including women will somehow sacrifice mission effectiveness to institutional politics. The funny thing about that is that military units (from my second-hand and fly-on-the-wall impressions of them, at least) are, regardless of gender, probably the most office-politics-laden workplaces one can think of, aside from university academic departments :-D

22. Renegade (((JE))) Posted: August 07, 2017 at 10:43 AM (#5507783)
That's not really a direct comparison then, is it.
It's a caveat, not a handwave.
   23. PreservedFish Posted: August 07, 2017 at 10:45 AM (#5507788)
Female applicants to the military academies have to meet lower athletic standards than do males. Is that how it should be?

The funny thing about that is that military units (from my second-hand and fly-on-the-wall impressions of them, at least) are, regardless of gender, probably the most office-politics-laden workplaces one can think of, aside from university academic departments

Really? I would have guessed the opposite, due to the strict unambiguous hierarchy and the importance of the task at hand.

Whereas university academic departments, those are just a huge mess of high-intelligence low-wisdom dorks with few real responsibilities and too much time on their hands. No offense, you know.
   24. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 07, 2017 at 10:48 AM (#5507790)
But to be fair, the West Wing is undergoing major renovations which would be difficult if not impossible to accomplish with POTUS in residence.

Well, it's not as if Trump doesn't have access to the second biggest luxury mansion in Washington right across the street from the White House, if West Wing renovations were the only reason for his departure. Of course I don't think it has a golf course, so that might be a dealbreaker.

25. Howie Menckel Posted: August 07, 2017 at 10:49 AM (#5507791)

I saw a good show on CNN around election time with some West Virginia coal miners. iirc, one couple said they were Trump supporters not because they thought Trump would save his job, but because they were right-to-life voters and hoped Trump would change some of those laws.

that issue is not the real point: it's that the idea that people should vote solely for economic interests is myopic. there are many other reasons to vote, and solely basing one's vote on "do I get more money because of my vote" strikes me as a bit craven.
   26. Lassus Posted: August 07, 2017 at 10:50 AM (#5507793)
few real responsibilities and too much time on their hands.

This is a description I have heard from actual (former) soldiers about a LOT of non-battle military life.
   27. zenbitz Posted: August 07, 2017 at 10:50 AM (#5507794)
The US Marines tested all-male squads against mixed-gender ones, and the results were pretty bleak:

They should test all female teams of the same experience level, that would be interesting. I mean, there are a few reasons why team A might out perform team B. It could be that the women were on average; less experienced/slower/weaker.

It's a tricky business. You want to trust the Marine Corps to be a full meritocracy -- especially on it's combat teams -- but it's also going to be easy for them to project biases.
   28. Greg K Posted: August 07, 2017 at 10:51 AM (#5507795)
those are just a huge mess of high-intelligence low-wisdom dorks

But they have +2 dexterity.
   29. PreservedFish Posted: August 07, 2017 at 10:53 AM (#5507798)
This is a description I have heard from actual (former) soldiers about a LOT of non-battle military life.

Yes, that must be true.
   30. BDC Posted: August 07, 2017 at 10:55 AM (#5507801)
the strict unambiguous hierarchy and the importance of the task at hand

The hierarchy can be quite complicated in social terms. Every officer outranks every NCO, for instance, but in practice many of the junior officers are very young and inexperienced compared to senior NCOs.

As to the importance of the task: very few units are combat units, and very few combat units spend more than a tiny amount of their overall time in combat. The interpersonal drama that can be generated in the months of training and just plain waiting can be remarkable.

Again, just my impressions. People who've actually been in military units will have differing ones, I'm sure.

Beverage to Lassus
   31. Renegade (((JE))) Posted: August 07, 2017 at 10:59 AM (#5507805)
Well, it's not as if Trump doesn't have access to the second biggest luxury mansion in Washington right across the street from the White House, if West Wing renovations were the only reason for his departure. Of course I don't think it has a golf course, so that might be a dealbreaker.
FFS, Andy, no one should be inside the Beltway in August unless it's absolutely necessary. And even then...
   32. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 07, 2017 at 11:04 AM (#5507815)
Really? I would have guessed the opposite, due to the strict unambiguous hierarchy and the importance of the task at hand.

Well, my first hand anecdotal experiense says it's absolutely true. Well, as far as the office politics go. I can't speak to comparisons with other professions, but yeah. People get promoted and get plumb jobs far more because of connections than because of ability.

Whereas university academic departments, those are just a huge mess of high-intelligence low-wisdom dorks with few real responsibilities and too much time on their hands.

The military is full of those sorts. Short example. I flew T-38 trainers. The T-38 had a landing light, big bright spotlight which was usually retaracted inside the fuselage in front of the nosewheel. When turnd on, it would extend and light up, giving a better view of the runway for landing at night. During my 6 years flying the airplane, the procedure to activate the landing light during daylight operations jumped around like a frog on a hotplate. Note, I am not saying the landing light procedure was a frog on a hotplate, or that I thought it was. Anyway, the theory was that the landing light on during the day would scare away birds from a distance thus minimizing the possiblility of a bridstrike in a critical phase of flight. So we would use the landing light during daylight operations. And the guy who came up with the idea would get an attaboy and get promoted. Then a new guy would come in, and because you don't get noticed and promoted by continuing the previous guy's successes, the procedures would change. Seems that the landing light did nothing to deter birds, and so we wouldn't use it during the day, in order to prolong the life of the bulb. And that guy got an attaoy and a promotion. The a new guy would come in and cite a study anout the landing light detering birds, and the procedure changed again.

And that's how you move up the ladder in the military.
   33. zenbitz Posted: August 07, 2017 at 11:04 AM (#5507816)
I would like to hear the argument that Trump has been a bad president on the things that matter. The economy, jobs, military action, foreign relations, judicial appointments, agency appointments, executive orders, etc.

At some level, he has done some stuff that President Pence might have done (Sessions AG, etc.) which are clearly just politically loathsome -- so that's off the table.
He also hasn't really DONE anything -- which considering all the ideas he talks about are either horrible or nonsense I have to actually mark as a credit in the ledger. This is also why I am off the impeachment train. Him doing NOTHING is probably better than whatever Pence comes up with.

In terms of foreign relations
* He told the Russians about our Israeli ISIS intel (and with the press present)
* Not sure what he is doing w.r.t. North Korea and naval plans but it didn't seem super coherent.

He pulled out of the TPP - which I guess is bad for the economy, but is was a campaign promise?

34. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 07, 2017 at 11:11 AM (#5507827)
A military unit at maximum combat effectiveness is a military unit least likely to suffer casualties. Winning in war is often only a matter of inches, and unnecessary distraction or any dilution of the combat effectiveness puts the mission and lives in jeopardy. Risking the lives of a military unit in combat to provide career opportunities or accommodate the personal desires or interests of an individual, or group of individuals, is more than bad military judgment. It is morally wrong.

I can't say I disagree with that as a general principle. But I have to ask, can the US military function as a male only institution? Can they get enough qualified people to fill out the ranks with men only? Oh I know, this doesn't preclude women from serving in non-combat support roles, but then women will be necessarily shut out from advancing to the highest ranks, which would tend to greatly discourage women from signing up in the first place, which leads back to the original question.
   35. DavidFoss Posted: August 07, 2017 at 11:12 AM (#5507828)
The interpersonal drama that can be generated in the months of training and just plain waiting can be remarkable.

On the plus side, they do tend to move around a lot. The people I knew were never in the same unit or even the same base for more than a couple of years.

With academia, it's a lifetime appointment to deal with the same people in the same building forever.
   36. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 07, 2017 at 11:14 AM (#5507833)

FFS, Andy, no one should be inside the Beltway in August unless it's absolutely necessary. And even then...

Look, AFAIC Trump should install climate control on the moon and do all his work from there, but in case you hadn't noticed it, Washington's projected high temperatures for the next two week range from 80 to 84.
   37. Ray (RDP) Posted: August 07, 2017 at 11:16 AM (#5507837)
I think this is an oversell, since Americans love their comeback stories, but still ... Trump’s Fledgling Presidency Has Already Collapsed

Signs of the disintegration have popped up everywhere. The usual staff turmoil came to a boil in the course of ten days, during which the following occurred: The president denounced his own attorney general in public, the press secretary quit, a new communications director came aboard, the chief of staff was fired, the communications director accused the chief strategist of auto-fellatio in an interview, then he was himself fired. Meanwhile, the secretary of State and national-security adviser were both reported to be eyeing the exits. (Against this colorful backdrop, the ominous news that Robert Mueller had convened a grand jury barely registered.)

More disturbingly for Trump, Republicans in Congress have openly broken ranks. When the Senate voted down the latest (and weakest) proposal to repeal Obamacare, Trump demanded the chamber resume the effort, as he has before. This time, Republican leaders defied him and declared the question settled for the year. When the president threatened to withhold promised payments to insurers in retribution, Republicans in Congress proposed to continue making them. Senate Judiciary Committee chairman Charles Grassley, responding to the president’s threat to sack Jeff Sessions, announced he had no time to confirm a new attorney general. Many Republican senators have endorsed bills to block the president from firing the special counsel.

It's so interesting the world the anti-Trumpers are living in. "Trump's fledgling presidency has already collapsed." If you believe that, go on the record now and sign on.

Note that all of the above cited by Chait is completely meaningless to anyone's lives, and completely meaningless to any serious markers of the success or failure of a US president.

Yes, of course there's staff turmoil. It's also meaningless to an evaluation of the job a president is doing. Denouncing Sessions, the quitting of Spicer (who nobody respected anyway), the firing of Scaramucci (who nobody respected anyway) - all meaningless. Chait also says "Meanwhile, the secretary of State and national-security adviser were both reported to be eyeing the exits." This criticism is (a) meaningless, and (b) hasn't even happened yet. And Trump's bizarre statements and assortments of lies have had zero tangible negative effect that anyone can point to.

By any metric that's worth measuring -- the economy, jobs, judicial appointments, agency appointments, wars, foreign relations, etc. -- Trump's presidency has been a success, with the one exception of the first executive order on immigration which caused brief chaos that was immediately corrected.

Mueller's investigation could ultimately bring down the presidency, but likely not for anything that matters to the bottom line metrics.

And yet all we hear on this board and in the MSM is daily chortling over Trump's various Trumpisms. It doesn't seem that Trump's critics even realize that most of this stuff is irrelevant to actual markers of a good president as far as how the country is affected in any tangible way (economy, etc.). And then when you ask, well, gee, after all of this, what are the things you can point to that show Trump's presidency has had a negative effect on the things that matter (economy, jobs, military, foreign affairs, appointments), you get crickets. Yet the circle jerk continues.
   38. Ray (RDP) Posted: August 07, 2017 at 11:19 AM (#5507840)

Free tip: Whenever you hear anyone from either side complaining about the amount of time the president (D or R) spends on vacation, you know said person is a hack who shouldn't be taken seriously.

But something you write here is interesting: You want Trump to stay away from the job. That suggests that -- rather than Trump being incompetent and not getting things done which has been the narrative -- you think he's been getting things done and has been effective at the things he's been doing on the job. (To be fair, it could also mean that you want him away from the job so that he doesn't cause a catastrophic event, like nuking Australia or something). But despite the pre-election stoking of fear, there's no evidence that any such event is in the offing.)
   39. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 07, 2017 at 11:19 AM (#5507841)

I can't say I disagree with that as a general principle. But I have to ask, can the US military function as a male only institution? Can they get enough qualified people to fill out the ranks with men only? Oh I know, this doesn't preclude women from serving in non-combat support roles, but then women will be necessarily shut out from advancing to the highest ranks, which would tend to greatly discourage women from signing up in the first place, which leads back to the original question.

Maybe we should look to other countries' experiences with women in combat before we let theories and assumptions rule the debate. Israel, for instance.

40. Renegade (((JE))) Posted: August 07, 2017 at 11:20 AM (#5507843)
Look, AFAIC Trump should install climate control on the moon and do all his work from there, but in case you hadn't noticed it, Washington's projected high temperatures for the next two week range from 80 to 84.
What were the temperatures for the first two weeks of August last year? 2015? 2014?

Blame Trump for all of the miles he's logged on AF1 getting to and from Florida but not this.
   41. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 07, 2017 at 11:21 AM (#5507844)
This is bipartisan silliness. Conservatives (and Trump!) attacked Obama for his vacation time, even though they'd have preferred he wasn't working. Bush always got grief for spending time in Crawford. It's a stupid argument no matter what, since, you know, we have smartphones and email and such.
   42. Renegade (((JE))) Posted: August 07, 2017 at 11:24 AM (#5507848)
Security video outside nightclub clears USC student of rape:
Security video from outside a local nightclub has cleared a USC student of rape, CBS Los Angeles reports.

Armaan Premjee was accused of sexually assaulting a 19-year-old student in her dorm room but video from the Banditos club near campus tells a different story.

"I'm very grateful for these tapes," Premjee said. "She put her arms around my neck, she started kissing me."

Premjee says the woman wanted to leave the club and have sex with him.

The security video shows the woman leading Premjee out of the club and shows her making a sexual gesture to her friend behind Premjee's back.

She's then caught on video signing them into her dorm.

Prosecutors charged Premjee with rape, claiming the woman was too drunk to give consent. The woman told detectives she didn't remember anything from that night. Premjee says she was the aggressor.
Karol Markowicz responds:
What if there was no video? Why does she get to stay anonymous while he may still be expelled?
Indeed.
   43. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: August 07, 2017 at 11:27 AM (#5507850)
In terms of foreign relations
* He told the Russians about our Israeli ISIS intel (and with the press present)
* Not sure what he is doing w.r.t. North Korea and naval plans but it didn't seem super coherent.

Add making things with Qatar worse... and roiling NATO isn't a positive thing.

I'd go beyond the TPP on trade, though -- as the article I linked above shows, both the EU and China have taken advantage of the vacuum.
   44. Ray (RDP) Posted: August 07, 2017 at 11:29 AM (#5507853)
Karol Markowicz responds:

What if there was no video? Why does she get to stay anonymous while he may still be expelled?

Indeed.

Mmmm, I'm not sure sure this logic holds, Jason. I don't know much about the facts of this case, but it seems it wasn't so much a false accusation as it was that he had a legitimate defense that she consented in the mind of an honest and reasonable person in his shoes. In *her* mind she may not have consented, or may not have remembered enough about the incident but believed she didn't consent, which wouldn't have made it a false accusation.

It's not like she said "He raped me," and they learned that he was miles away at the ballgame at the time.

(Which is not to say I think the media's policy of not revealing the identity of the accuser while the accused name is dragged through the mud is always fair, but from that status quo I don't have a problem with her identity not being revealed here.)
   45. Traderdave Posted: August 07, 2017 at 11:29 AM (#5507854)
The vacation argument IS stupid every other time, but Trump really does deserve the scorn after railing about his predecessor's PTO and the obnoxious expense and self-dealing in his.

It's just political noise, not substantive and certainly no reason to remove him from office -- there are several sound & legit reasons for that -- but's it's noise he really deserves in a way that prior Presidents did not.

46. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 07, 2017 at 11:31 AM (#5507857)
By any metric that's worth measuring -- the economy, jobs, judicial appointments, agency appointments, wars, foreign relations, etc. -- Trump's presidency has been a success, with the one exception of the first executive order on immigration which caused brief chaos that was immediately corrected.

Heh. Good one. I thought it was all just like cheering for a sport's team, and now there are "serious measures of success" and you have them all scoped out? Nice change of pace.

Of course using your own measures of success Trump rates out as worse than Obama, so I guess you agree with that, right?
   47. Lassus Posted: August 07, 2017 at 11:32 AM (#5507858)
EDIT: I guess so.
   48. DavidFoss Posted: August 07, 2017 at 11:34 AM (#5507863)
It's just political noise, not substantive and certainly no reason to remove him from office -- there are several sound & legit reasons for that -- but's it's noise he really deserves in a way that prior Presidents did not.

It's great when they just put Trump's own tweets and campaign applause lines up as his own critique. But not high on the list of real things to actually complain about.
   49. PreservedFish Posted: August 07, 2017 at 11:35 AM (#5507864)

But something you write here is interesting: You want Trump to stay away from the job. That suggests that -- rather than Trump being incompetent and not getting things done which has been the narrative -- you think he's been getting things done and has been effective at the things he's been doing on the job.

Plum Dilbertlogic here. I saw BDC's comment as just a cute little throwaway, but if you want to get into it, you've got a really weird strawman here about "the narrative." Nobody ever thought that Trump would be so ineffectual as to be effectively absent. Of course he does things.
   50. Swoboda is freedom Posted: August 07, 2017 at 11:35 AM (#5507865)
few real responsibilities and too much time on their hands.

That was my experience. The 9 months was pretty interesting (once I got out of basic), very busy as I learned the job. After a while, it was pretty routine and boring. I was at Fort Bragg so a lot of special forces types all trying to prove who was toughest, so a lot of drinking and fights on the weekends.

I generally found the people who were promoted were the friends or favorites of their superiors, rather than any special ability.
   51. Renegade (((JE))) Posted: August 07, 2017 at 11:36 AM (#5507866)
WTF
FTFA:
After seeing the video, the judge dismissed the case saying, "I believe there was consent. There is a very strong indication that the alleged victim in this case was the initiator."
As Karol points out, the #SMDH comes from the combination of an innocent individual still facing expulsion while the lying accuser may receive anonymity for as long as she desires.
   52. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 07, 2017 at 11:39 AM (#5507870)
foreign relations

Other countries are literally laughing at what a clown Trump is.

Mexico.

Australia.

China.

In fact, if you leave out countries where borscht isn't a popular meal, the pickings are mighty slim.

How do you take your borscht comrades? My grandparents always took it with sour cream, which seemed especially disgusting.

53. TDF didn't lie, he just didn't remember Posted: August 07, 2017 at 11:39 AM (#5507872)
Economy - He hasn't destroyed it yet (but it's expanding at the same rate as before he was elected)
Jobs - Ditto
Judicial Appointments - He's 1/1. So yay?
Agency Appointments - He's already publicly stated he should've nominated someone else as AG. Meanwhile, even Rs in the Senate are complaining about a lack of nominations.
Wars - 6 whole months and not a single war! So yay?
Foreign Relations - Really? You want to argue that his foreign relations have been a "success"?
Immigration ban - The administration fought the courts tooth and nail; they didn't "immediately correct" anything.
   54. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 07, 2017 at 11:42 AM (#5507875)
Free tip: Whenever you hear anyone from either side complaining about the amount of time the president (D or R) spends on vacation, you know said person is a hack who shouldn't be taken seriously.

So, Trump is a hack who shouldn't be taken seriously?
   55. Lassus Posted: August 07, 2017 at 11:42 AM (#5507876)
FTFA, Lassus:After seeing the video, the judge dismissed the case saying, "I believe there was consent. There is a very strong indication that the alleged victim in this case was the initiator."

Read it afterwards. Can't say I find it similarly compelling, but YMMV. Similar, to me, to the "What? A husband can't rape his wife, come on!" way of thinking.
   56. McCoy Posted: August 07, 2017 at 11:43 AM (#5507877)

That's pretty much how you move up the ladder in any busy. The last guy was almost always wrong and you've fixed it. And really, at the end of the day it is almost totally random in terms of success and failure.

P&L recaps are almost always such a joke. Either full of excuses (when the numbers don't look good) or full of BS when the numbers look good.
   57. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 07, 2017 at 11:46 AM (#5507881)
Foreign Relations - Really? You want to argue that his foreign relations have been a "success"?

Da.
   58. Ray (RDP) Posted: August 07, 2017 at 11:47 AM (#5507882)
Economy - He hasn't destroyed it yet (but it's expanding at the same rate as before he was elected)
Jobs - Ditto

"Yet." So no credit here. Although we had plenty of people on this board saying that Trump's election would cause the economy to tank.

Judicial Appointments - He's 1/1. So yay?

Huh? No, there have been dozens of judicial appointments.

And not a Harriet Miers in the bunch, from what I understand.

Agency Appointments - He's already publicly stated he should've appointed someone else as AG. Meanwhile, even Rs in the Senate are complaining about a lack of appointments.

Doesn't affect anything.

Remember when people were worried that he had his finger on the button? So far, those worries seem to have been baseless, to the shock of nobody sane.

Immigration ban - The administration fought the courts tooth and nail; they didn't "immediately correct" anything.

I'll give you the immigration one. I already did. The point was that they were forced to correct it, not that they did so on their own volition. But corrected is corrected.
   59. Renegade (((JE))) Posted: August 07, 2017 at 11:48 AM (#5507883)
What about chaos?
   60. Greg K Posted: August 07, 2017 at 11:52 AM (#5507886)
What about chaos?

I'm trying to think of another time Littlefinger looked non-plussed. I suppose when Cersei ordered to have him killed.
   61. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 07, 2017 at 11:58 AM (#5507891)
Read it afterwards. Can't say I find it similarly compelling, but YMMV. Similar, to me, to the "What? A husband can't rape his wife, come on!" way of thinking.

There is a presumption of innocence and that sort of evidence goes directly to reasonable doubt I would think. Evidence is limited in such cases and with the video I don't think there was any chance of conviction.
   62. BDC Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:00 PM (#5507893)
By any metric that's worth measuring … Trump's presidency has been a success, with the one exception of the first executive order on immigration

What about the debacle of ACA repeal, which was one of Trump's major promises?

I understand your odd theory that the collapse of the repeal efforts was the best thing that could happen, because now Our Leader will offer something far superior based on ideas from The Best People. Even so, the 2017 failure of ACA repeal has to echo the 1993-94 Hillarycare disaster in some key respects.
   63. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:01 PM (#5507894)
Remember when people were worried that he had his finger on the button? So far, those worries seem to have been baseless, to the shock of nobody sane.
Shorter Ray: "Trump is a great president because the world hasn't ended yet."
   64. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:01 PM (#5507895)
#54, so your entire case about how great Trump is doing is based on judicial appointments. That is less than compelling, especially since everyone has long since given that one to him. It is kind of a gimme point, though, since he has a friendly Senate, but sure he has his judicial appointments.

And as long as his successes stick to that, I bet most Democrats will be happy enough. And you are happy with it, so we all win. Who says Trump couldn't bring us together.
   65. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:03 PM (#5507900)

What were the temperatures for the first two weeks of August last year? 2015? 2014?

Blame Trump for all of the miles he's logged on AF1 getting to and from Florida but not this.

Jason, Jason. I don't care where Trump spends his time, but air conditioning works whether he's staying at the Blair House or at one of his New Jersey golf resorts, where the difference between the average outdoor temperature and Washington is virtually nonexistent. He can take his vacations in the Kremlin for all it matters, but the idea that Washington Augusts are too burdensome for a president is about as special snowflake an argument as I've ever heard.
   66. TDF didn't lie, he just didn't remember Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:05 PM (#5507902)
Jobs - Ditto

"Yet." So no credit here.
Wait a second - I was quoting you saying Trump's presidency has been a "success" because of these things. Were you lying?
Agency Appointments - He's already publicly stated he should've appointed someone else as AG. Meanwhile, even Rs in the Senate are complaining about a lack of appointments.

Doesn't affect anything.
"Doesn't affect anything" =/= "success". Ruing your own actions =/= "success".

Not confirming others' worse fears =/= "success".
   67. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:06 PM (#5507903)
Setting aside Ray's fellatio of Trump, there is a legitimate question as to whether a president's success ought to be measured in absolute terms (whether he did good things) or relative terms (did he accomplish the things he set out to accomplish). Pulling out of the TPP would be a mark in his favor with the latter methodology¹, but not with the former.

(Now, Trump is actually a failure by either measure, which is why Ray has resorted to judging the president's success by whether the worst fears of his opponents immediately came true.)

¹But with a caveat. The promise wasn't "I will pull out of the TPP"; the promise was "I will create jobs by pulling out of the TPP." So he did keep the promise to withdraw, but he's not keeping the overarching promise.

P.S. I meant "fellatio" in a totally non-gay way. NTTAWWT.
   68. The Good Face Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:10 PM (#5507908)

All branches of the military are facing a January 1, 2016, deadline to open all combat roles to women. The Marine Corps is using this experiment to decide whether to request exceptions to that mandate. The Corps’ summary of the experiment, posted online today by NPR, concludes that combat teams were less effective when they included women.

Overall, the report says, all-male teams and crews outperformed mixed-gender ones on 93 out of 134 tasks evaluated. All-male teams were universally faster “in each tactical movement.” ...

Such conclusions may be disheartening to proponents of gender integration in combat, and certainly put a damper on the news that the Army’s ranger school recently graduated its first female soldiers. The tests come with at least one important caveat: As the Marine Corps Times notes, many of of the male study participants had previously served in combat units, whereas female participants, by necessity, came directly from infantry schools or from noncombat jobs. ...

The Marine Corps summary report does not indicate or suggest that the Marines will be asking for an exception to the military’s integration mandate. However, it does quote this somber section of a 1992 government study on gender integration in the armed forces:

Meh. The US Military is essentially just the Imperial Army of Globalism. They're mostly used in foolish neocon adventures and the like, so the less effective they are, the better.
   69. Ray (RDP) Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:11 PM (#5507910)
Shorter Ray: "Trump is a great president because the world hasn't ended yet."

You folks set the bar low. If you folks were just blowing smoke out of your ass that's not my fault.

But regardless, I'm not grading him on a curve. I said we could disregard the "he hasn't nuked Canada" stuff and just focus on what he _has_ done on a raw scale. It seems quite competent. Judicial appointments, economy doing well, etc.
   70. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:11 PM (#5507911)
Setting aside Ray's fellatio of Trump,...

P.S. I meant "fellatio" in a totally non-gay way. NTTAWWT.

So now we won't have to worry about the next New York Post headline.
   71. Lassus Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:14 PM (#5507916)
The US Military is essentially just the Imperial Army of Globalism.

I thought that was Jewish cats. Did you miss the previous thread?
   72. PreservedFish Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:15 PM (#5507918)
I mean, I am glad that he hasn't nuked Australia. I do consider that a success.
   73. The Good Face Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:17 PM (#5507921)
The US Military is essentially just the Imperial Army of Globalism.

I thought that was Jewish cats. Did you miss the previous thread?

I did, but that's obviously crazy talk. Cats aren't kosher.
   74. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:19 PM (#5507924)
Depends how you kill them.
   75. TDF didn't lie, he just didn't remember Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:20 PM (#5507925)
Judicial appointments, economy doing well, etc.
Again - the economy is doing no better than before he was inaugurated - which you even admit in #58.

So by your own statements, his presidency has been a success after 6 1/2 months solely because you agree with his judicial appointments.
   76. Ray (RDP) Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:20 PM (#5507926)
(Now, Trump is actually a failure by either measure, which is why Ray has resorted to judging the president's success by whether the worst fears of his opponents immediately came true.)

Any honest reading of what I've written on this since last night would find that I've focused my argument on the markers that any normal president would be graded on.
   77. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:21 PM (#5507927)
None of the world's financial markets, which are in the business of predicting the future with actual money on the line, believe it's remotely conceivable that Trump will do something like nuke Australia, or any of the other TDS fantasies and lunacies.(*)

In fact, they think the opposite -- which is why they're booming.

Paranoia about a coming apocalypse is typically seen as a sign of ... cough ... less than perfect mental health.

(*) Krugman thought he would, which is why he made his absurd prediction on Election Night.

78. Renegade (((JE))) Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:26 PM (#5507936)
He can take his vacations in the Kremlin for all it matters, but the idea that Washington Augusts are too burdensome for a president is about as special snowflake an argument as I've ever heard.
Sorry but this is batshit insane. A POTUS who doesn't leave DC in August is no true POTUS, whatever his/her party identification.
   79. Lassus Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:28 PM (#5507938)
Sorry but this is batshit insane.

You seem to have left out a colon, because what follows this sentence is the insane part.
   80. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:29 PM (#5507939)
Washington's projected high temperatures for the next two week range from 80 to 84.

So, you're saying the Administration is winning the global warming battle, too? Good to know.
   81. TDF didn't lie, he just didn't remember Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:31 PM (#5507943)
Any honest reading of what I've written on this since last night would find that I've focused my argument on the markers that any normal president would be graded on.
No, normal presidents are graded on actual accomplishments, not "He hasn't vaporized anyone yet".
   82. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:33 PM (#5507946)
The reason you want the President to leave the White House in August is so that the staff can get a vacation. Some folks travel with the President, but for those who don't, having the President out of town on a scheduled basis is the only way they can get time off on their own.
   83. Ray (RDP) Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:39 PM (#5507954)
No, normal presidents are graded on actual accomplishments, not "He hasn't vaporized anyone yet".

I can see why you don't want to grade him on the bar that you folks set during the election and after, now that it's clear said bar was batshit.

But I'm happy to comply. That's why I said above:

"By any metric that's worth measuring -- the economy, jobs, judicial appointments, agency appointments, wars, foreign relations, etc. -- Trump's presidency has been a success, with the one exception of the first executive order on immigration which caused brief chaos that was immediately corrected."

He's been a very good president so far even when graded on a normal curve. On the things that actually have an identifiable effect on anything.
   84. Spahn Insane, stimulus-funded BurlyMan™ Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:48 PM (#5507965)
He's been a very good president so far even when graded on a normal curve.

Welcome to RDPville, in which Donald Trump's performance as POTUS is not merely impressive, but is the ONLY thing that impresses.

You'll visit no similar place anywhere on Earth, so be sure to add a visit to your bucket list.
   85. PreservedFish Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:48 PM (#5507966)

"By any metric that's worth measuring -- the economy, jobs, judicial appointments, agency appointments, wars, foreign relations, etc. --

I'm struggling on how you find an objective measurement for some of these. For you, of course, appointing someone that hates the EPA to run the EPA is a plus, but for others it is a minus. "Foreign relations" seems like a clear minus to me, but maybe it's a plus for you? Not sure what to even evaluate in the "wars" category.
   86. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:48 PM (#5507967)
How do you like your borscht?
   87. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:49 PM (#5507968)
The reason you want the President to leave the White House in August is so that the staff can get a vacation. Some folks travel with the President, but for those who don't, having the President out of town on a scheduled basis is the only way they can get time off on their own.

It's not a contradiction of principles to both agree with this, and tweak Trump by pointing out "This is why you don't criticize Presidents for taking time off numbnuts."
   88. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:49 PM (#5507969)
The usual suspects sound like people complaining about a 74-52 team because of the chaotic way it went about hiring batboys.
   89. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:51 PM (#5507971)
He's been a very good president so far even when graded on a normal curve. On the things that actually have an identifiable effect on anything.

His economy is as good as Obama's. He made a bunch of judicial appointments that were ratified by a friendly Senate.

That is the sum total of the "very good" grade that Ray generously is giving the guy he doesn't support. I want the economy to do well so, there is nothing to do about the judicial appointments, and I would rather he does nothing else - so sure based on my grade Trump has been about as good as I could hope for.
   90. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:52 PM (#5507972)
I'm struggling on how you find an objective measurement for some of these.

No need for such a "struggle" -- the financial markets.
   91. PreservedFish Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:52 PM (#5507973)

I can see why you don't want to grade him on the bar that you folks set during the election and after, now that it's clear said bar was batshit.

I already told you I'm glad he hasn't nuked anyone!
   92. PreservedFish Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:53 PM (#5507974)
SBB, do you know what the word "some" means?
   93. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:54 PM (#5507977)
He can take his vacations in the Kremlin for all it matters, but the idea that Washington Augusts are too burdensome for a president is about as special snowflake an argument as I've ever heard.

Sorry but this is batshit insane. A POTUS who doesn't leave DC in August is no true POTUS, whatever his/her party identification.

Maybe so, but that's got more to do with Congress being in session than it does with Washington's weather, which is almost always at its hottest in July and at its worst in January.

But then since neither you or any president has to shovel your own driveways, that last point might be lost on both of you. (smile)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Washington's projected high temperatures for the next two week range from 80 to 84.

So, you're saying the Administration is winning the global warming battle, too? Good to know.

Well, putting Trump in Deep Freeze for 17 days is admittedly a good first step towards achieving that goal.

Totally understood. But that's true regardless of whether or not the West Wing is undergoing renovation.
   94. Spahn Insane, stimulus-funded BurlyMan™ Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:54 PM (#5507978)
I already told you I'm glad he hasn't nuked anyone!

I'm willing to give credit where it's due, though it's not half as impressive as Herman Cain's refraining from sexually harassing many of his female colleagues.
   95. Ray (RDP) Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:55 PM (#5507983)
Welcome to RDPville, in which Donald Trump's performance as POTUS is not merely impressive, but is the ONLY thing that impresses.

You'll visit no similar place anywhere on Earth, so be sure to add a visit to your bucket list.

This is insult as a substitute for argument.

Ok, concession accepted that you folks have no rebuttal to the argument that he's done a very good job as president so far, on the things that matter. Let's go about this from a different angle: What's the argument that he's done a bad job on the things that matter? He's such a ridiculous joke as president that it should be easy to list them all out.

I'll spot you the first EO on immigration. Ball is now in your court.
   96. Laser Man Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:56 PM (#5507984)
As for the economy, one reason that it has been doing well is because none of Trump's ideas have been implemented. Trump campaigned on doing things like slashing corporate taxes, cutting taxes for the wealthy, spending $25B for a border wall, imposing large border taxes, cutting most foreign trade deals, removing 25M people from the health insurance market, adding $50+B to the defense budget while cutting domestic programs, removing 13M undocumented immigrants, etc. Fortunately for the country, he has been unsuccessful in all of these areas, despite having a Republican House and Senate. I think many prognosticators assumed these bad ideas would be easily passed by the all-GOP government, but most haven't happened (yet). The economy is basically still functioning as a continuation of Obama's policies.
   97. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:56 PM (#5507985)

Low-energy rebuttal. Sad.
   98. Ray (RDP) Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:57 PM (#5507986)

His economy is as good as Obama's.

And yet, many people said there would be an immediate drop to the economy.
   99. Lassus Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:57 PM (#5507987)
Ok, concession accepted that you folks have no rebuttal to the argument that he's done a very good job as president so far

Try answering #96 first.

His economy is as good as Obama's.
And yet, many people said there would be an immediate drop to the economy.

This. Is. Not. A. Measure. Of. Success.
   100. Spahn Insane, stimulus-funded BurlyMan™ Posted: August 07, 2017 at 12:57 PM (#5507988)

Nah, actually it's insult (albeit accurate) for the sheer entertainment value.

EDIT: Quasi-Coke to YR...
Page 1 of 22 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Sheer Tim Foli
for his generous support.