Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, January 08, 2018

OTP 8 January 2018: Lawsuits could change the rules in North Carolina politics, balance of power in Raleigh

Jake Quinn says his main job when he umpires baseball games as a volunteer for North Asheville Little League is to ensure each team is treated fairly.

“Before the first pitch is thrown, the score is 0-0 and the team that scores the most runs during the game wins the game,” he said.

But, he says, “That’s not the way elections work. With gerrymandering, one team starts out in the lead. That’s fundamentally unfair.”

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 08, 2018 at 07:54 AM | 2393 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: little league, off topic, politics, umpire

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 24 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›
   201. PepTech, Intermittently Stable Genius Posted: January 08, 2018 at 04:16 PM (#5602929)
Yeah, I don't see Oprah taking states like Alabama, Mississippi, Utah, or Idaho anytime soon. I'll take the under as well.
   202. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 08, 2018 at 04:17 PM (#5602930)
Bah - response to the first part of dlf's post got eaten, so re-posting...

Why would you assume that any celebrity president would "almost certainly assemble a high quality team" relevant to crafting and implementing domestic or international agenda items? This is, in my opinion, wish-casting wrapped in rooting for the laundry.

Well, yes and no...

First of all, beyond a few niche areas like the anti-vaxxer stuff, I don't think a theoretical candidate Oprah would really be presenting any sort of agenda that was apostasy to the Democratic base. I suppose I'd want some theoretical names for say, HHS Secretary that did not include some joker like RFK jr - but her anti-vaxxer stuff could be overcome (I'm only guessing, but I assume she's not some hardcore anti-vaxxer nut).

Other than that - I would think she's likely to do fine with all the bog standard Democratic checkboxes... This means she'd at least be in the running to get the best and brightest in a variety of areas to work with her.

Second, though a 'celebrity candidate' - she doesn't have nearly the baggage of Trump. There just isn't much there that's going to create a NeverOprah movement because certain respectable people in a variety of areas would be unwilling to sign onto a clown show.

The real wildcard is whether she's got Trump's massive ability to maintain a grudge... there are some indications - the Letterman feud, a few others - but at bare minimum, I don't think she'd need to extract the same fawning approval Trump demands.
   203. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 08, 2018 at 04:20 PM (#5602932)
Someone who has never gone beyond short softball interviews on her political views is going to win the largest presidential landslide in American history? Are you offering "under" bets?

Trump.

Oh yeah, and Trump.

And still - Trump.

I know it sucks for you - but your orange master has pretty much invalidated all of the old disqualifications. I'm sure you wish the world where your boy hasn't just lowered the bar, but completely obliterated it from existence, but here we are.

Now... if you want to make the case that Democrats aren't as numerously stupid, addled, and moronic as Republicans -- you can try making that case, I guess. But in a world where Donald Trump, GOP nominee and President exists, sorry Clapper... saying stuff like this only makes you sound REALLY ridiculous.
   204. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 08, 2018 at 04:22 PM (#5602934)
Why on Earth would any Democrat want to give Trump a large win, motivate his base, and waste billions of dollars in an inefficient and ineffective boondoggle?

Because they don't have much leverage. Republicans control both Houses of Congress, and the Democrats only real influence comes from their ability to filibuster in the Senate. They can try to stop appropriation bills and shut down the government, but since that tactic has never worked well politically for those going that route, Trump is likely to call their bluff. The Dems option is to try and get something in exchange for giving Trump what he wants on border security, or get nothing.
   205. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 08, 2018 at 04:25 PM (#5602937)
Because they don't have much leverage. Republicans control both Houses of Congress, and the Democrats only real influence comes from their ability to filibuster in the Senate.

Oh?

Did you replace your House Whackjob caucus with automatons when I wasn't looking?
   206. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 08, 2018 at 04:25 PM (#5602938)
I know it sucks for you - but your orange master has pretty much invalidated all of the old disqualifications. I'm sure you wish the world where your boy hasn't just lowered the bar, but completely obliterated it from existence, but here we are.

But all Trump proved is that the GOP's long-nurtured base of Stupids is so stupid that they'll vote for even the most inept, ignorant, dishonest, gelatinous, narcissistic...wait, where was I going with this?

Now... if you want to make the case that Democrats aren't as numerously stupid, addled, and moronic as Republicans -- you can try making that case, I guess.

Oh, yeah. That.

Oprah is a remarkable success story - indeed, her self-made success would be especially galling to the GOP given that they like their "self made successes" to come from wealthy families, like Dubya, Romney, and Trump. But she promotes bad science and people who are bad at science shouldn't be put in positions of leadership. We didn't pray our way to the moon any more than we wished it into being via "The Gift" or whatever that hokum book she endorsed was.

Having said that, she had a Cormac McCarthy book on her book club and since he's our greatest living author I'm glad he got the payday. Still, doesn't balance out.
   207. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 08, 2018 at 04:30 PM (#5602941)
Because they don't have much leverage.

One funeral at a time.
   208. BrianBrianson Posted: January 08, 2018 at 04:31 PM (#5602942)
Okay, I'll admit 532 was a slight oversell. But she would widely crush it. What's the actual over-under on Oprah vs. Trump/Pence? It's gotta be at least 400. Oprah is broadly popular, and a popular broad.
   209. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 08, 2018 at 04:33 PM (#5602944)
At some point - we don't have to do it now - but at some point, I suppose we probably should come to an understanding on how long we get to play the Trump Card.

I think it goes without saying that so long as the loyal Trumplicans like Clapper stand by him - it's carte blanche. I'd prefer team blue not overly take advantage of it - but so long as Trump, well... there's virtually no limit to how stupid, offensive, or both any Democrat has license to be.

That said - and this is me being quite magnanimous - I do think it's going to be unfair to spend a lifetime spouting Chappaquiddick! or Bobby Byrd was in the KKK!....

Like I said, no need to settle on the math today -- but I think a year for each month the Trumpkins Stand By Their Man sounds fair.
   210. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 08, 2018 at 04:33 PM (#5602945)
But she promotes bad science and people who are bad at science shouldn't be put in positions of leadership.

Do we think Oprah would appoint Deepak Chopra to run NASA? Or would she be the figurehead and have actual experts guide her team? If we *do* live in a post-rational world where the Presidency is essentially a reality TV show every four years, then the question is "would Oprah actually take guidance from people who know what they're doing and what they're talking about, or eat KFC while live-tweeting Fox & Friends?"
   211. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 08, 2018 at 04:34 PM (#5602946)
Okay, I'll admit 532 was a slight oversell. But she would widely crush it. What's the actual over-under on Oprah vs. Trump/Pence? It's gotta be at least 400. Oprah is broadly popular, and a popular broad.

Hillary is going to win in a landslide.
   212. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 08, 2018 at 04:35 PM (#5602947)
At some point - we don't have to do it now - but at some point, I suppose we probably should come to an understanding on how long we get to play the Trump Card.

Not sure, but at the very least as long as he holds office, it's fair game. If they impeach him, then we can start asking "have they regrown some sort of functional brain or patriotic impulse?"
   213. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 08, 2018 at 04:35 PM (#5602948)
Hillary is going to win in a landslide

Your Trump loving friends and relatives would probably have no part of voting for an uppity ###### #####, Ray. You have a point there.
   214. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 08, 2018 at 04:37 PM (#5602949)
That said - and this is me being quite magnanimous - I do think it's going to be unfair to spend a lifetime spouting Chappaquiddick! or Bobby Byrd was in the KKK!....

You hippies are so quick to forgive you didn't even spend a decade screaming, "Dubya and you right-wing pussies screamed us into a war based on phony claims and castigated anyone who opposed you as terrorist sympathizers, hundreds of thousands dead. Nobody in their right minds would take you disingenuous, self-rightous ######## seriously about anything important."
   215. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 08, 2018 at 04:38 PM (#5602950)
You hippies are so quick to forgive

This is true.
   216. greenback wears sandals on his head Posted: January 08, 2018 at 04:40 PM (#5602951)
You hippies are so quick to forgive you didn't even spend a decade screaming, "Dubya and you right-wing pussies screamed us into a war based on phony claims and castigated anyone who opposed you as terrorist sympathizers, hundreds of thousands dead. Nobody in their right minds would take you disingenuous, self-rightous ######## seriously about anything important."

Well, I want to put that into every response to every post from JE. But instead of building that macro, I'm too busy building a Gorilla Channel TensorFlow database.
   217. McCoy Posted: January 08, 2018 at 04:41 PM (#5602953)
Jameson is throwing a Bartenders Ball in a couple of weeks at Terminal West if anybody wants to get really really wasted for free.
   218. BrianBrianson Posted: January 08, 2018 at 04:42 PM (#5602954)
Hillary is going to win in a landslide.

I think you're wrong about that Ray.
   219. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 08, 2018 at 04:43 PM (#5602955)
Well, I want to put that into every response to every post from JE.

The problem was that we were afraid to bomb Iran too. Just ask Jason.
   220. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 08, 2018 at 04:43 PM (#5602956)

Not sure, but at the very least as long as he holds office, it's fair game. If they impeach him, then we can start asking "have they regrown some sort of functional brain or patriotic impulse?"

That's where a formula is really needed, I think.

I'm fine with giving the GOP some kind of amortization credit for impeachment - but it's not a binary thing.... it would have to be proportional. I.e., the GOP doesn't get full credit if something like 25% of Republicans + 100% of Dems remove him.

Just spitballing, but working off my 1 month = 1 year concept... I could probably live with something like a proportional discount - say, half the GOP votes to impeach, they get half off the Trump card (meaning, rather than paying a year per month, they pay 6 months per month).

Like any reasonable amortization schedule, though -- it needs to acknowledge the basics of compounding interest. I.e., if impeachment doesn't come until spring of 2020 - well... that counts for a lot less than if they undertook it tomorrow.

One of the accountants probably need to weigh in to come up with a reasonable model.
   221. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 08, 2018 at 04:47 PM (#5602957)

Offering "Bivens odds"? I'd advise against.
   222. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 08, 2018 at 04:49 PM (#5602958)
You could probably get Bivens to offer 20-1 again.
   223. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: January 08, 2018 at 04:49 PM (#5602959)
What we should do:

1. Repeal the 12th Amendment. Pres and VP are all put in the pot together.
2. Rejigger Article Two to let the VP have an equal share in everything.
3. Start a tradition of celebrity Presidents and politico VPs, with the VP getting #### done while the President engages in Twitter warfare.

Repealing the 12th would mean we could have awesome things like an Oprah/Pence White House duo in 2020. Overall I view my proposed model as something like the late Merovingian empire, where you had figurehead kings and a state run by the Mayor of the Palace. In keeping with that, I propose a 28th Amendment stipulating that the President may not shave while in office.
   224. gef the talking mongoose, amorphous lefty blob Posted: January 08, 2018 at 04:51 PM (#5602960)
We have a quorum to justify a BTF ATL meetup at this point.

The Alabama caucus casts a positive vote as well, depending mainly on when (especially given my lack of interest in doing much driving after 2 trips to & from Texarkana in 3 weeks).
   225. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 08, 2018 at 04:55 PM (#5602964)
Repealing the 12th would mean we could have awesome things like an Oprah/Pence White House duo in 2020.

You know, Constitutionally, Barack Obama could be VP. He'd have to step aside for the Speaker in the event of something happening to the POTUS.

Oprah/Obama 2020
   226. Srul Itza Posted: January 08, 2018 at 04:57 PM (#5602965)
I would take the deal suggested by DMN in a heart beat. And then do my best to renege on it.

Once DACA is passed, it is passed. Nobody is going to touch that mess again.

But there is a long, long way between "appropriating $18 Billion for a wall" and actually building it.

There are specs to right, contracts to be bid, objections to the bidding, siting of the wall, political fighting over the siting (especially in Deep Red Texas, which really does not want the wall), etc., etc. Many, many places and opportunities to throw sand in the gears.

227. Trout! Trout! Let it all out! Posted: January 08, 2018 at 04:59 PM (#5602966)
why hasn't mexico paid for the wall yet?
   228. Traderdave Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:00 PM (#5602969)
You know, Constitutionally, Barack Obama could be VP.

One must be constitutionally eligible for POTUS in order to be VPOTUS.

Edit:It's a little murky. May be open to interpretation, but I think it's a non-starter politically, unless of course it's a Republican, as rules and norms do not apply.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vice_President_of_the_United_States#Eligibility
   229. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:03 PM (#5602972)
I was responding to the reaction I was seeing of "No, never, we will never agree to a wall ever; it's horrible and we won't stand for it!"

I was giving my feelings, not those of the people giving reactions you are seeing. However, even that misses the point. There is a difference between politics and policy, and a starker difference between talking points and actual negotiations.

What "uninformed speculation?" Grassley reviewed the memos.

Yours and the columnist you quoted from.
   230. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:04 PM (#5602973)
Oprah is broadly popular, and a popular broad.

As a talk show host. I wouldn't just assume she can make the transition to politics because Trump was elected. She has some baggage. Anything is a possibility, but wishcasting a political novice into a presidential nomination, and a landslide victory no less, is a bit excessive even for OTP. Let me know when she spends a month slogging around Iowa & New Hampshire.
   231. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:06 PM (#5602975)
Man...

It's almost as if the Orange Bat Signal went out, demanding everyone come clean with any connections to Bannon and confess their anti-Trump sins.

We've reached the Trumpian equivalent of Night of the Long Knives, I think...
   232. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:07 PM (#5602976)
#187:
I have previously expressed my skepticism over the claims of James Comey that he had a right to remove memos from the FBI and leak them to the media through a friend. As I have previously written, Comey was in clear violation of FBI rules and may have knowingly removed classified material. According to Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley, there is growing evidence to suggest that Comey not only violated FBI guidelines (which is clear) but that he violated federal law in the removal and disclosure of classified material. Indeed, it may come down to simple math. Seven of the memos that Comey removed are now believed to be classified. He reportedly gave four memos to his friend to leak to the media. That would suggest that at least one memo given to Columbia University Professor Daniel Richman was classified.

My skepticism... may have... according to... growing evidence to suggest... it may... believed... reportedly... would suggest...

Looks like a new sheriff might be gunning for a gig here at OTP.
   233. PepTech, Intermittently Stable Genius Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:07 PM (#5602977)
To be *elected* VPOTUS. Obama could be appointed to fill a vacant VPOTUS seat.
   234. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:08 PM (#5602978)
Because they don't have much leverage. Republicans control both Houses of Congress, and the Democrats only real influence comes from their ability to filibuster in the Senate.

Well then why are you bothering to negotiate with us poor folks at all?

I will gladly take nothing and happily filibuster everything that moves and let Trump take the blame. Sound like a familiar playbook? It should.
   235. Hot Wheeling American in his sleazy salon Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:08 PM (#5602979)
Anything is a possibility, but wishcasting a political novice credibly accused child molester into a presidential nomination Senate seat, and a landslide victory no less thinking you have any standing to speak about anything 'the other' side does ever again, is a bit excessive even for OTP.
   236. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:09 PM (#5602980)
My skepticism... may have... according to... growing evidence to suggest... it may... believed... reportedly... would suggest...

What uninformed speculation?
   237. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:09 PM (#5602981)
I think Obama would accept Attorney General or Secretary of State. Or why not both? After all, he's a Constitutional scholar and a Nobel Peace Prize winner!
   238. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:09 PM (#5602983)
As a talk show host. I wouldn't just assume she can make the transition to politics because Trump was elected. She has some baggage. Anything is a possibility, but wishcasting a political novice into a presidential nomination, and a landslide victory no less, is a bit excessive even for OTP. Let me know when she spends a month slogging around Iowa & New Hampshire.

Stop it... my sides are hurting my laughing so much.
   239. BrianBrianson Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:09 PM (#5602984)
Anything is a possibility, but wishcasting a political novice into a presidential nomination, and a landslide victory no less, is a bit excessive even for OTP.

Man, you must be a hoot at parties.
   240. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:10 PM (#5602985)
The Alabama caucus casts a positive vote as well, depending mainly on when (especially given my lack of interest in doing much driving after 2 trips to & from Texarkana in 3 weeks).

If we can decide on a date and a location, I'll post a Meet Up thread (a la the recent SF meetup link) on the home page in case people who avoid the OTP might want to join as well.

On the Westside, I'd suggest either:

5 Season Westside: a true brew pub with a very good exec chef, which happens to be my "local," the default I go to. I have pretty good friendships with the bar managers, and they have a few spaces that can be reasonably set aside for a larger group if more than a few are interested. It's also generally quiet and easy for conversations.

The Whelan: a more "bar" flavored bar, but also large and spacious and as long as it's not karaoke night, it's usually quiet. Also has three or four nine-ball tables if we wanted to have an "Andy Doesn't Live Here Anymore" invitational.

Pijiu Belly: A friendly, relaxed bar; closer to GA Tech, but the ramen here is amazing. Decent beer list.

There's also a new place called Howell's Kitchen & Bar that just opened. I haven't been there yet.

If folks want something not in my neighby, I can make some suggestions elsewhere as well. But why would anyone want to do that?!

I am scheduled into Boston Jan 22-26. I am scheduled into NC to damage my liver with Dial weekend of Feb 17.
   241. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:13 PM (#5602986)
You know Clapper is actually somewhat concerned about an Oprah bid because he's already running negative ads about "baggage."
   242. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:14 PM (#5602987)
Seems like Bannon is now calling himself/Wolff a liar, as reported by the NY Post. What will the Never Trumpkins do?!

On Sunday, Bannon tried to bury the hatchet with Trump by expressing “regret” over his comments and referring to his son Donald Trump Jr. as a “patriot” and a “good man.”

He also disputed quotes attributed to him in the book calling Donald Jr. “treasonous” for meeting Russians at the Trump Tower during the campaign in June 2016.

Bannon, in a statement to Axios, said that comment was directed at Trump’s former campaign manager Paul Manafort, who attended the meeting with Donald Jr. and the president’s son-in-law and adviser Jared Kushner.

243. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:14 PM (#5602988)
It's a little murky. May be open to interpretation

Right. It would get howls and shrieks from the right wings, but Jesus Christ himself could return and run as a veep option for Oprah and those guys would howl and shriek. No one should give a #### what they think. The only question they should be asked is what they want for their last meal.
   244. Traderdave Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:19 PM (#5602991)
The only question they should be asked is what they want for their last meal.

My choice would be a pulled pork sandwich (smoked, not that crock pot ####) with South Carolina style mustard sauce, cole slaw, a couple of beers and a ball game on the radio while I eat it.

(That's my last meal choice that one could reasonably expect from the San Quentin kitchen. If I have other options, it gets more elaborate.)
   245. greenback wears sandals on his head Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:22 PM (#5602994)
Seems like Bannon is now calling himself/Wolff a liar, as reported by the NY Post. What will the Never Trumpkins do?!

Take Wolff seriously but not literally.
   246. dlf Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:24 PM (#5602996)
I think the weak bench stuff is well, weak sauce... I know it's (one of) Clapper's favorite concern troll maneuvers - but let's be realistic here... Was the 2016 GOP bench 'weak'?

Yes, obviously. That is a large part of the reason that DJT was able to win a plurality of votes in the primaries.

Bah - response to the first part of dlf's post got eaten, so re-posting...

Why would you assume that any celebrity president would "almost certainly assemble a high quality team" relevant to crafting and implementing domestic or international agenda items? This is, in my opinion, wish-casting wrapped in rooting for the laundry.

Well, yes and no...[snip]

She has zero experience in foreign affairs or domestic legislation. The assumption is that she would hire, in your words, the best and brightest, but she isn't and hasn't been in a position where she has any way of knowing who the D versions of Tom Price, Ben Carson, or Betty DeVos versus the more mainline ones who you may disagree with, but have a fundamental grasp on the subject matter. She has built a tremendous personal net worth, but the business empire is a rounding error compared with, say the one formerly run by Rex Tillerson. I hate, Hate, HATE the idea of nominating a political blank slate based around a cult of personality onto whom we can imagine any outcome with no directly meaningful basis to refute or support. That she has a nicer facade than DJT means that she is one of 250,000,000 people more qualified than he is, but I wouldn't put her in the top 1000.
   247. greenback wears sandals on his head Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:27 PM (#5602997)
Some guy named Steve Alford is about to become famous.
   248. dlf Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:27 PM (#5602998)
If we can decide on a date and a location, I'll post a Meet Up thread (a la the recent SF meetup link) on the home page in case people who avoid the OTP might want to join as well.

Pitchers and catchers report the week of Feb 12th. A month's notice should be enough to get a mongoose to drive 175 miles east.
   249. Hot Wheeling American in his sleazy salon Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:28 PM (#5602999)
   250. dlf Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:28 PM (#5603000)
Some guy named Steve Alford is about to become famous.

I'm guessing you mean the guy in KS, not the basketball coach at UCLA that didn't let the Ball family completely emasculate him.
   251. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:32 PM (#5603002)
with South Carolina style mustard sauce

Can we kill him twice?
   252. BrianBrianson Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:34 PM (#5603003)
Getting elected and doing a good job once elected aren't that strongly connected (as we've seen). Arguing that she might not do a good job once elected is not a very compelling argument about whether someone is like to be elected. (Whether they should be, perhaps).

But it's still early for 2020 - we're gonna see at least another hundred of these speculations, if not a thousand. Don't get yourself worked up over it yet.
   253. Hysterical & Useless Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:34 PM (#5603004)
come up with a reasonable model.

Anybody got any suggestions? The most recent ones whose names I know would probably be Kate Moss and Stephanie Seymour, but somebody here must be able to do better.
   254. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:35 PM (#5603005)
Juan & The Yankee Clapper's GOP, everyone.

The party has essentially been whittling itself down to the racists + donor class for the last 30 years. Maybe longer as I'm not old enough or enough of a history buff to know much GOP pre Reagan.

Besides, the NBA obviously refutes his point!
   255. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:37 PM (#5603006)
You know Clapper is actually somewhat concerned about an Oprah bid because he's already running negative ads about "baggage."

Oh, go right ahead and nominate Oprah if you like. The bandwagoning here & elsewhere says a lot about the other Democratic possibilities. You do know that she can't give voters cars? Federal law prohibits that.

Many voters had hoped they would have better choices in 2020 than 2016, but I wouldn't assume that.
   256. greenback wears sandals on his head Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:38 PM (#5603007)
Besides, the NBA obviously refutes his point!

The NBA has a history of refuting Steve Alford.
   257. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:39 PM (#5603009)
Looks like nobody stopped the tape after Jake Tapper dismissed Stephen Miller. This is what ensued during the ad break:
STEPHEN MILLER: Jake, what I care about is having three minutes to tell the truth about the President of the United States.

JAKE TAPPER: You had plenty of time. I let you give like a three-minute filibuster at the very very top.

MILLER: You gave me two minutes.

TAPPER: Stephen. Okay, thanks for coming in.

MILLER: You should be ashamed of yourself. Honestly.

TAPPER: This is why they don't put you out on TV. Okay? This is the reason.

MILLER: No, Jake. You brought me on to talk about the Camp David summit, and you--

TAPPER: First of all, I had plenty of questions about immigration, but you kept telling the same story over and over.

MILLER: Because you're asking about the salacious-- [Rose Mary Woods accidentally glitches this part of the tape] -- Look, that's all you want to talk about, and you don't have any interest in talking about--

TAPPER: I had plenty of questions, but you kept on repeating yourself and kept not letting me ask my questions.

MILLER: Really, because you're calling me a [tape glitch] factotum.

TAPPER: After you spent the entire interview attacking CNN and [tape glitch], okay? So don't act all offended.

MILLER: I'm not acting offended. I am offended by you, and I'm offended by your network.

[With the ad break ending, Miller is escorted from the set.]
   258. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:42 PM (#5603011)
The NBA has a history of refuting Steve Alford.

lol, I set that one up for ya.
   259. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:43 PM (#5603012)
You do know that she can't give voters cars? Federal law prohibits that.

We have reached Peak Clapper.
   260. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:44 PM (#5603014)

It's so funny how you guys manage to convince yourselves of the silliest of things.

261. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:45 PM (#5603015)
Well you’re silly people, it doesn’t take much,
   262. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:49 PM (#5603017)
The bandwagoning here & elsewhere says a lot about the other Democratic possibilities.

I would support literally anyone who has a shot at removing your ######## shitstain from office, you walking venereal disease.
   263. McCoy Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:51 PM (#5603018)

On the Westside, I'd suggest either:

5 Season Westside: a true brew pub with a very good exec chef, which happens to be my "local," the default I go to. I have pretty good friendships with the bar managers, and they have a few spaces that can be reasonably set aside for a larger group if more than a few are interested. It's also generally quiet and easy for conversations.

The Whelan: a more "bar" flavored bar, but also large and spacious and as long as it's not karaoke night, it's usually quiet. Also has three or four nine-ball tables if we wanted to have an "Andy Doesn't Live Here Anymore" invitational.

Pijiu Belly: A friendly, relaxed bar; closer to GA Tech, but the ramen here is amazing. Decent beer list.

There's also a new place called Howell's Kitchen & Bar that just opened. I haven't been there yet.

If folks want something not in my neighby, I can make some suggestions elsewhere as well. But why would anyone want to do that?!

I am scheduled into Boston Jan 22-26. I am scheduled into NC to damage my liver with Dial weekend of Feb 17.

My suggestions depend on what you want to do. Drink some great cocktails in a cool but crowded atmosphere? I'd suggest Golden Eagle. Sit around in a bar with some good fun and some pinball and such? I'd go with Smoke Ring. A straight bar with some good small plates I would suggest Poor Hendrix. If you're staying downtown I'd say Empire State South. If we're talking springtime and want to go outdoors and get some good cocktails I'd suggest 8 Arm. If you want to go to a food hall I'd suggest Krog Street where you got Bar Mercado, the Ticonderoga Club, along with the beer taps in the main food hall.

For me if it is a weekday I'd prefer something on the west side of Atlanta as that is on my way home but I'm probably up for anything and for the most part any day will work during the work week with enough advance notice.
   264. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:51 PM (#5603020)
I would support literally anyone who has a shot at removing your ######## shitstain from office, you walking venereal disease.

Pretty rich quote coming from a party that ran such enlightened folks like Ted Cruz and Carl Fiorina and nominated DONALD ####### TRUMP.

For real.
   265. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 08, 2018 at 05:52 PM (#5603021)
Oh, I meant to respond to David's comment from Saturday:

In the piece Jonah makes essentially the same point I've made here many times: people who don't care about something... don't talk about it. Loudly and repeatedly announcing you don't care is evidence that you do care, a lot. Ray, for instance, very very (very) much cares about the Wolff book, because it makes his hero look very very (very) bad. In contrast, Ray actually does not care about the interminable pretentious alcohol discussions around here, so he doesn't participate in those exchanges. (At least, I don't think I remember him doing so.)

The logic here is quite poor. If someone came on here to say that the average lifespan of a fruit fly was 6.5 years I could well go on for several posts disputing that. It would not be because I give a rat's ass about the life of a fruit fly per se. It would be because I tend to push back on bad facts or bad arguments/logic. David has yet to grasp that simple concept.

For example: Did David give a rat's ass about Andy's copyright infringement per se? No. David even expressly stated so. (As did I.) Yet David went on for an unholy amount of posts arguing the point.
   266. PepTech, Intermittently Stable Genius Posted: January 08, 2018 at 06:04 PM (#5603027)
I tend to push back on bad facts or bad arguments/logic
Yes, like this one:
1302. PepTech, Stable Genius Posted: January 05, 2018 at 04:12 PM (#5601588)
CNN reporting the Clinton Foundation is under investigation, to which I would respond: Good! Go get 'em, if there's gettin' to be got.

Doesn't have any bearing on Trump being Clown Shoes, though.

ETA: And if it turns out this is purely retaliatory and has no merit, yeesh.

----------------

1314. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 05, 2018 at 04:35 PM (#5601611)

It has no merit, you say.
Which is it, Ray - do you not understand "if" or were you just making a bad argument?
   267. McCoy Posted: January 08, 2018 at 06:10 PM (#5603030)
That orange sumbvtch just landed about a mile from me. Closest I've been to him since his candidate days.
   268. BDC Posted: January 08, 2018 at 06:11 PM (#5603031)
Trump is a talker who listens to virtually nobody but himself, whereas one of Oprah's most noticeable traits is that she's a listener

Oprah Winfrey plays, on TV, someone who listens to people. I really have no idea what her personal executive style is like. She has a magazine devoted to herself, which suggests she is not way far behind the Donald in self-appreciation.

Though a Winfrey candidacy would seem a nice way to fight fire with fire. Trump's mindset, and that of many of his supporters, is defined by infotainment TV. Who the heck better to dispute that ground with him? I would vote for Winfrey over Trump, despite the vaccine thing and despite Cormac McCarthy's The Road. But then I would probably vote for the first person I meet in the supermarket tomorrow morning over Trump.
   269. Joe Bivens Recognizes the Kenyan Precedent Posted: January 08, 2018 at 06:13 PM (#5603032)
Why do you bother with Ray? He's an imbecile, a troll, and only deserves to be mocked. Eddie Deezen meets Alfred E Neuman. The Omega Dancing Monkey, the bottom of the barrel of monkeys.
   270. PepTech, Intermittently Stable Genius Posted: January 08, 2018 at 06:14 PM (#5603033)
Or, this aspect of your reply:
1314. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 05, 2018 at 04:35 PM (#5601611)
CNN reporting the Clinton Foundation is under investigation, to which I would respond: Good! Go get 'em, if there's gettin' to be got.

Doesn't have any bearing on Trump being Clown Shoes, though.

ETA: And if it turns out this is purely retaliatory and has no merit, yeesh.
----------

That's okay; so does the Robert S. Mueller, III investigation.
Please explain how the Mueller investigation, which was kicked off by a Trump appointee, qualifies as "retaliatory", and also how it has "no merit" when it has resulted in indictments and confessions regarding federal crimes. "Push back on bad arguments", indeed.
   271. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 08, 2018 at 06:15 PM (#5603034)
An inter-dimensional portal just weirdly opened an plopped some selections from what purports to be a book titled "Sire can Worry: Inside the Oprah White House" on my desk. I cannot vouch for it's validity - but how often do interdimensional portals deliver Fake Books?

Anyway...

The mood at Harpo Studios was subdued. Stedman Graham, eager to escape the spotlight of the campaign, seemed to be the only person able to form a smile that wasn't bolted on with only the greatest of difficulty. Joe Trippi was already fielding calls from the networks in search of his next gig, and dishing dirt by the shovel-fulls - blaming the Obamas, the DNC, the east coast elitists who turned their noses up at the poor black girl from Kosciusko, Mississippi that didn't deserve to be President, anyone that had abandoned the Winfrey campaign in the final months. Vice Presidential nominee Evan Bayh grew impatient - asking anyone who would listen if he could finally take off the belittling lawn jockey costume he had been forced to wear for most of the campaign. "Somebody get the boy an Xbox to play with," the would-be President absently snapped.

Gloria Steinem, though, maintained the same ebullient, yet somehow scathing optimism she had consistently maintained since the infamous Katie Couric "little white micro-peckers" tape had broken. The base, she insisted, would yet pull this out for the Queen of All Media. As the loathesome media talking heads continued their unending 'tsk-tsks' -- she often wondered aloud why they bothered talking live; they had been on a monotonous, continuous loop for weeks -- she insisted that a virtual ocean of uncouth and non-PC women, used to belittling tiny white peckers in the powder room anyway, would form the silent minority that would sweep Oprah into office. When Jeb had pulled down his pants in the final debate - as secretly leaked campaign prep had told her he would - it was her line ("That wouldn't satisfy a forgiving Barbie Doll in the throes of a Jason Momoa fantasy") that had won the day.

A shock fell over the room as Rachel Maddow, her voice almost trembling, announced that NBC was calling Georgia for Oprah...

Inauguration Day was unseasonably warm. The outgoing President Pence was glad to finally get it over with - the disgraced President Trump was free on appeal and though forbidden from contacting Pence, a mysterious stranger named John Miller had been pestering him since November to "make it rain!" and suggesting that Pence force the inauguration to a smaller venue. This morning, at least, was the last such call he would have to field. Jared Kushner remained on the run - and it was a well-known not-so-secret he was hiding somewhere in the walls of the White House - but in just a few short hours, that wouldn't be his problem anymore.

"You get a free car! You get free healthcare! You get a government phone! You get a job! You get to have your ##### ungrabbed without permission!" On and on it went, punctuated only by President Winfrey's excited claps. Steinem took careful notes of those who didn't clap on beat or seemed less than enthusiastic in their participation. She glanced over Lena Dunham, who returned a knowing nod. There would need to be some changes.

Further down the dais, President Obama whispered in Michelle Obama's ear, "That's some weird ####."
   272. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: January 08, 2018 at 06:35 PM (#5603040)
That's pretty good, Zonk.
   273. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 08, 2018 at 06:42 PM (#5603042)
Oprah Winfrey plays, on TV, someone who listens to people. I really have no idea what her personal executive style is like. She has a magazine devoted to herself, which suggests she is not way far behind the Donald in self-appreciation.

Though a Winfrey candidacy would seem a nice way to fight fire with fire. Trump's mindset, and that of many of his supporters, is defined by infotainment TV. Who the heck better to dispute that ground with him? I would vote for Winfrey over Trump, despite the vaccine thing and despite Cormac McCarthy's The Road. But then I would probably vote for the first person I meet in the supermarket tomorrow morning over Trump.

Tread carefully... Maybe not McCarthy's best, but I liked it.

Anyway, while I sadly have no specific anecdotal dirt - I dated a girl who worked as a producer on the Oprah Winfrey show BITD when she filmed in Chicago... While I imagine she was tightly bound by NDAs, too -- she was fairly complimentary, though far more so when it came to staff/production meetings around show planning than the actual show tapings. Tapings were fairly brutal - she was not the forgiving person when it came to mistakes and was all you might (badly) expect of a 'star'... but supposedly, in production meetings when they'd plan topics or segments - she was a quite different person - very engaged but also very open to pitches and ideas.

I also know a guy who took her class at Northwestern's Kellogg MBA program - while they didn't have to sign an NDA, they were strongly cautioned/warned not to share anything about the class. He said she was roughly as good as most of the (non-mathematics/economics) professors - though, Stedman (they co-taught the course) did more of the actual lectures than she.
   274. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 08, 2018 at 06:42 PM (#5603043)
I think Feb 12 is a good choice. It is so decided. Now where you boys want to meet?
   275. McCoy Posted: January 08, 2018 at 07:26 PM (#5603050)
Whose up for duckpin bowling?!
   276. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: January 08, 2018 at 07:26 PM (#5603051)
[267] Is this your way of saying you're attending the national championship game?
   277. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: January 08, 2018 at 07:29 PM (#5603052)
Ed Royce announced he isn't running for re-election. The rats have realized the ship is sinking and they're scurrying off board.
   278. zenbitz Posted: January 08, 2018 at 07:34 PM (#5603056)
@122 interesting because we are thinking of driving from Rome to Barcelona via Monte Carlo this summer (possibly detour 12 hrs to Switzerland)
   279. Lassus Posted: January 08, 2018 at 07:35 PM (#5603057)
Charges against the Bundys have been dismissed.
   280. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 08, 2018 at 07:37 PM (#5603058)
Re: #277--

Eighth GOP chairman to take a knee. Won't be the last.

Ed Royce is a 13-term Representative who won his district a year ago by 14%, won his most recent midterm race by 37%, won in 2012 by 15%, and won the midterm before that by 34%.

He ran 14% ahead of Trump in his district (mostly conservative Orange County) in 2016.

Royce is the third GOP Representative to announce his retirement in 2018, along with Gregg Harper (got 63% of the vote in 2016) and Bill Shuster (also got 63% of the vote in 2016).
   281. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 08, 2018 at 07:45 PM (#5603062)
Eighth GOP chairman to take a knee. Ed Royce is a 13-term Representative who won his district a year ago by 14%, won his most recent midterm race by 37%, won in 2012 by 15%, and won the midterm before that by 34%.

He's term-limited as Chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee. Not surprising that Committee Chairs consider retirement when their tenure ends, although some folks here seem to to keep missing that.
   282. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 08, 2018 at 07:49 PM (#5603064)
Charges against the Bundys have been dismissed.

By an Obama-appointed judge, FWIW. Considerable government misconduct & withholding of exculpatory evidence.
   283. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 08, 2018 at 07:55 PM (#5603065)
Not surprising that Committee Chairs consider retirement when their tenure ends, although some folks here seem to to keep missing that.

The Cook Report rating for Royce's seat has just flipped from Leans Republican to Leans Democratic. That's entirely due to his retirement announcement, although one folk here would rather talk about Oprah Winfrey.
   284. zenbitz Posted: January 08, 2018 at 07:57 PM (#5603068)
Oprah would probably be no worse than 60-70% of the usual grab bag of Randos who make it past New Hampshire.

We're through the looking glass here, people.
   285. McCoy Posted: January 08, 2018 at 08:01 PM (#5603070)
[267] Is this your way of saying you're attending the national championship game?

No, he landed at Dobbins ARB which is near me.
   286. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 08, 2018 at 08:15 PM (#5603077)

You know, Constitutionally, Barack Obama could be VP. He'd have to step aside for the Speaker in the event of something happening to the POTUS.

Edit:It's a little murky. May be open to interpretation, but I think it's a non-starter politically, unless of course it's a Republican, as rules and norms do not apply.

William F. Buckley, Jr. tried to start a drive for Nixon to name Ike his VP choice in 1960, though obviously nothing came of it.
   287. McCoy Posted: January 08, 2018 at 08:22 PM (#5603080)
Took me a couple of plays to realize I was watching ESPN2 and something called Homers telecast instead of ESPN.
   288. cercopithecus aethiops Posted: January 08, 2018 at 08:30 PM (#5603084)
No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once.

It doesn't actually say anything about persons who have already been elected twice subsequently serving part of a term that someone else was elected to.
   289. cercopithecus aethiops Posted: January 08, 2018 at 08:31 PM (#5603085)
Oh, and if you want to do something about illegal immigration, maybe spend the $18B on making people leave when their visas expire.
   290. Traderdave Posted: January 08, 2018 at 08:40 PM (#5603087)
It doesn't actually say anything about persons who have already been elected twice subsequently serving part of a term that someone else was elected to.

From Amendment 12: No person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice President of the United States.

I suppose there's some wiggle room that might allow a former 2 term pres to serve up to two years, but I really don't think that passes muster.
   291. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 08, 2018 at 08:43 PM (#5603088)
Thanks Trump!

Travel industry to launch coalition in response to drop in international visits to U.S.

In the first six months of the year, international visitors to the U.S. dropped 4% to 41 million visitors compared to the same period in 2016, according to the latest data from the National Travel and Tourism Office. It marks a change of direction for visitation numbers, which had been surging for a few years.
   292. cercopithecus aethiops Posted: January 08, 2018 at 08:54 PM (#5603089)
From Amendment 12: No person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice President of the United States.

But Amendment 22 doesn't say anything about the eligibility of a twice-elected POTUS to serve again in the future. It only says s/he can't be elected again. IANAConstitutionalL, but apparently people who are argue about this.
   293. Greg K Posted: January 08, 2018 at 09:18 PM (#5603092)
Travel industry to launch coalition in response to drop in international visits to U.S.

My mom is considering not going to Florida this winter.

Of course that may be because of the exchange rate. And the fact that my dad is still recovering from his prostatectomy.

...but she's also unimpressed with Trump and his voters!
   294. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 08, 2018 at 09:18 PM (#5603093)
The Fusion GPS folks seem to be flailing a bit, trying to get a judge recused in a lawsuit in which they aren't a party. Some Russian mentioned in the so-called dossier (apparently unflatteringly) filed a libel suit in Miami against Buzzfeed, which had published it. As would be expected, Fusion GPS was subpoenaed as part of the lawsuit, but moved to quash the subpoena in Washington, DC, then wrote the assigned DC Judge suggesting that he be recused, largely because he was appointed by President Trump. The Judge invited the parties to file a recusal motion and/or brief the issue. We'll see if anything comes of it, but I don't see how Fusion GPS can avoid eventually disclosing info here, since it would seemingly go to the core of the libel suit. They already lost on their efforts to shield their financial records from Congressional investigators.
   295. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: January 08, 2018 at 09:21 PM (#5603094)
Oh, and if you want to do something about illegal immigration, maybe spend the $18B on making people leave when their visas expire.

Hard to make a photo op out of that.
   296. 6 - 4 - 3 Posted: January 08, 2018 at 09:26 PM (#5603095)
Thanks Trump!

To be fair to DJT, the USD is quite strong at the moment.
   297. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 08, 2018 at 09:39 PM (#5603100)
My mom is considering not going to Florida this winter.

She'll be missed.
   298. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: January 08, 2018 at 09:42 PM (#5603101)
[293] But Florida has frozen iguanas this year!
   299. McCoy Posted: January 08, 2018 at 09:43 PM (#5603102)
I don't know it's quite weak to the euro. It's basically back to where it has been for most of the 21st century. The dollar has been much weaker against the euro than it has been in years.
   300. greenback wears sandals on his head Posted: January 08, 2018 at 09:53 PM (#5603105)
I don't know it's quite weak to the euro.

It's also down a bit over the last year against the Chinese yuan and the Canadian dollar.
Page 3 of 24 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam M
for his generous support.