Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, January 08, 2017

OTP 9 Jan. 2017: What’s next for sports, politics, and TV in 2017?

Cyclical trends may obscure the connection at times, but you can’t permanently disentangle sport from politics:

“Sport in 2017 will con­tinue to be a resur­gent and resounding plat­form for athlete-​​led social activism,” says Dan Lebowitz, exec­u­tive director of Northeastern’s Center for the Study of Sport in Society. “If his­tory repeats itself, 2017 will be this generation’s 1967, a year in which promi­nent ath­letes held a social jus­tice summit to call out insti­tu­tion­al­ized inequity, con­front it, and cat­a­pult a con­ver­sa­tion that America still needs to hear, embrace, and lead.”

Today we have football’s Colin Kaeper­nick, whose national anthem protest cap­tured the nation’s atten­tion, and col­lege basketball’s Bronson Koenig, who protested the Dakota Access Pipeline and then reflected on his expe­ri­ence for The Players’ Tribune.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

BDC Posted: January 08, 2017 at 09:10 PM | 1952 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: activism, kaepernick, politics, social justice

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 20 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›
   101. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 09, 2017 at 11:19 AM (#5380191)
Which Meryl Streep film do you think Trump likes best, "Obama Came Out of Africa" or "Putin's Choice"?
   102. Greg K Posted: January 09, 2017 at 11:23 AM (#5380195)
Which Meryl Streep film do you think Trump likes best, "Obama Came Out of Africa" or "Putin's Choice"?

I would think "Putin's Choice" wouldn't hold the same kind of meaning for Trump. I don't think he'd have any problem choosing a child to save.
   103. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 09, 2017 at 11:28 AM (#5380199)
Your premise seems to be that the number of people who've been paying attention is static. The point of my suggestion is to get more people to pay attention to these nominees' views. I'm funny in that I think that the more people know about the views of prospective cabinet nominees, the better off we'll all be.

My premise is that people whose views are well known are not "stealth nominees." Moreover, 99% of cabinet appointments over the last, say, 70 years would fit in the category of people-whose-views-are-known-to-people-paying-attention-but-not-to-the-general-public. You've got a handful of Secretaries of State (Clinton, Kissinger), and not much else. Do you think lots of people knew more about Kathleen Sebelius, Eric Holder, Tim Geithner, Steven Chu, Ray LaHood, Hilda Solis, or Ken Salazar, just to name some of Obama's many initial cabinet members, than they know about Perry, Sessions, or Carson?

We're just talking past each other here. The fact that not many people knew about the views of most other nominees is irrelevant when it comes to nominees who are fundamentally opposed to the expressed purposes for which their departments were established, or have no discernible qualifications for the position for which they've been nominated.

All I've done is express an opinion that the views of Trump's nominees be given the fullest possible airing before getting a confirmation vote. Is that such a radical thought? I'd like to think that one or more of them might get rejected, but that's more of a fantasy than an expectation.

Nobody cares about the views of cabinet members. Cabinet members work for the president.

Yes, that explains why Republicans were so indifferent to Loretta Lynch's runway meeting with Bill Clinton last July.

Moreover, your idea that this is a political strategy to hang these people on Republicans is silly; the less well-known the cabinet members are, the more that their actions will be associated with the president. Hillary Clinton might have taken some flak on foreign policy because she's well known, but the general public knows PPACA as Obamacare, not Sebeliuscare.

Obama came into office with rather well defined opinions on a whole host of issues. Trump is entering the White House with no real evidence that he believes in anything beyond his personal fortune and approval ratings. With his background of complete ignorance about everything except Nielson ratings, his cabinet members could quite easily assume an influence well beyond the sort of influence they might have on a president who actually has convictions, as opposed to fits of pique.

But again, even if everything you say is 100% true, what's the harm in having extensive hearings? Is the country going to grind to a halt if some of Trump's nominees get pushed back a week or so?
   104. reech Posted: January 09, 2017 at 11:36 AM (#5380204)
I hear from trusted sources that Streep is an over rated actress.
   105. simon bedford Posted: January 09, 2017 at 11:39 AM (#5380206)
Streep is considered a ton of peoples choice as best actress ever, I have seen too many boring films of hers to pick her as number 1 for me . Just wondering if anyone here places Streep top of the list?
   106. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 09, 2017 at 11:44 AM (#5380209)
Streep is considered a ton of peoples choice as best actress ever, I have seen too many boring films of hers to pick her as number 1 for me . Just wondering if anyone here places Streep top of the list?

I am skeptical that such a thing can be meaningfully rank ordered. But hey I am sure there are thousands of such lists on the intertubes.
   107. BDC Posted: January 09, 2017 at 11:45 AM (#5380210)
I just read a fascinating book about the aesthetics of ruins and fragments (called, actually, Ruins and Fragments), by Robert Harbison. He sees lists as ruins of a sort, because they consist of fragments of experience: often all we know about the past consists of bare lists, so they conceal a great amount that has been lost. (Eco has a more creative and positive take on lists.)

Harbison looks at lists in the Prose Edda, in Joyce's Finnegans Wake, in Robert Burton's Anatomy of Melancholy. Eco points to Homer and Joyce and Thomas Mann. There are lots of other examples, of course, including Borges and Roger Angell (his New Year's poems). My favorite part of The Great Gatsby is the list of guests at Gatsby's parties, almost none of whom actually appear as characters.

108. BDC Posted: January 09, 2017 at 11:46 AM (#5380212)
wondering if anyone here places Streep top of the list?

Brace yourself for sixty posts about Barbara Stanwyck.
   109. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 09, 2017 at 11:49 AM (#5380215)
Three-way tie between Streep, Stanwyck and Tyler Perry in a muu-muu.
   110. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 09, 2017 at 11:51 AM (#5380216)
Florence Foster Jenkins was a good bit of fun. As an opera fan familiar with Jenkins' notoriety in this space it was pretty much exactly what I wanted.
   111. Lassus Posted: January 09, 2017 at 11:52 AM (#5380217)
I think at the end of a career when one is the ALL CAPS FAMOUS ACTRESS it is hard to see her in those roles as anything but herself, at least it's hard for me personally with any actor at that stage of their career. (Nicholson, Redford, Freeman, list goes on and on) Between Deerhunter and Ironweed, however, when she was growing famous but still not iconic was a damned tour de force of work.
   112. simpleton & childlike gef the talking mongoose Posted: January 09, 2017 at 11:53 AM (#5380218)
Toni Collette is ... I don't know if she's a great actress, but damn does she come off as a chameleon to me. I don't know if I've ever seen her look the same way in multiple movies. I never recognized her for a second in Imperium, which I watched a week or so ago.
   113. Renegade (((JE))) Posted: January 09, 2017 at 11:54 AM (#5380219)
And when that happens, I'll think of memorable lines from Fletch.
   114. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 09, 2017 at 11:55 AM (#5380220)

Never had any interest in seeing her work, the way I do for, say, Angelina Jolie or Scarlett Johansson. I couldn't even bring myself to watch Bridges of Madison County and I love Clint Eastwood and hear the movie is good.

I understand Kramer v Kramer was good.

I saw her in The River Wild back in college. Fun movie but any working (or non-working) Hollywood actress could have played the role.

I'm sure she's a good actress but she chooses projects I have no interest in, which to me is a bigger indictment of her than saying she's a meh actress. I would rather be stung by a bee than to sit through something like Florence Foster Jenkins or The Devil Wears Prada.

115. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 09, 2017 at 11:57 AM (#5380222)

FIRST!
   116. BDC Posted: January 09, 2017 at 11:59 AM (#5380223)
couldn't even bring myself to watch Bridges of Madison County

You are actually, I daresay, not alone in this.
   117. Lassus Posted: January 09, 2017 at 11:59 AM (#5380224)
I know the politicos hate it when we talk movies, (listen, I brought up the cabinet hearings) but I'm still angry from the time when I cared about the Academy Awards and Michael Douglas's shit high school play performance in Wall Street beat out Nicholson for Ironweed AND Hurt for Broadcast News.
   118. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:00 PM (#5380225)
I understand Kramer v Kramer was good.

Of all the people here, you'd be the least likely to say that after having watched it. Hell, even I could barely wait for the movie to end in order to get over to the deprogramming center.
   119. manchestermets Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:00 PM (#5380226)
I think I'd rather read one of Morty's neo-nazi links than anything by Piers Morgan. Do Americans actually take him seriously?
   120. Morty Causa Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:01 PM (#5380227)

I've not seen enough Streep movies to be any sort of definitive authority. The slam against her runs sort of along the lines of K. Hepburn's comment about her: "Click click click."

I tend to view more positively those actors/actresses who do not call attention to the constructs of their performance. The naturalistic school of acting, I guess you could call it. That doesn't mean that a Streep, like a Brando or Day-Lewis or Dustin Hoffman (who at his best definitely has passion behind his method), hasn't had her moments.
   121. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:01 PM (#5380228)
couldn't even bring myself to watch Bridges of Madison County

You are actually, I daresay, not alone in this.

THIRD!
   122. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:02 PM (#5380229)
AND Hurt for Broadcast News

I know I should like Broadcast News. But, for whatever reason, I hate that movie. It should be in my wheelhouse, but man I hated it.
   123. Morty Causa Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:05 PM (#5380230)
I'm sure she's a good actress but she chooses projects I have no interest in, which to me is a bigger indictment of her than saying she's a meh actress. I would rather be stung by a bee than to sit through something like Florence Foster Jenkins or The Devil Wears Prada.

On another site we are discussing Ingmar Bergman, and I said that, without denying his talent and power, I look forward to a Bergman movie like I look forward to having my prostate palpated with a Louisville Slugger.
   124. simon bedford Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:18 PM (#5380239)
"The Devil wears Prada" was far better than I expected mostly due to the work of Anne Hathaway.
I would add "Out of Africa" to the list of Streep movies I wish I had never sat through, although Redford bears a ton of the blame for that one.
I have seen a few films where Streep is being very natural, "Defending your life" was no great film but she was very warm and human in that.
   125. Morty Causa Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:23 PM (#5380240)
Who would have given the more relatable performances as the McDonald's victim--Streep or Stanwyck?
   126. simpleton & childlike gef the talking mongoose Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:24 PM (#5380241)
I don't believe I've seen Hathaway in anything since the 1999-2000 TV show "Get Real," the cast of which also included Jesse Eisenberg. Not bad at all.
   127. simon bedford Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:25 PM (#5380242)
The Mcdonalds victim was what late 60s at the time? so Helen Merril or Jessica Tandy back in the day.
   128. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:26 PM (#5380244)
fiat-to-invest-1-billion-in-new-michigan-ohio-plants-create-2000-jobs.html

Who'd a thunk that (promising to ) tax something (imports) might get you less of it!
Oh, I think most non-liberals¹ understand that -- not that this link has anything to do with that. But what sane person thinks that fewer imports are a good thing?

¹Well, liberals understand it in other contexts; they want to tax carbon, and sugary soft drinks, and such. They just choose not to understand that taxing wealth creation leads to less wealth creation.
   129. Morty Causa Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:27 PM (#5380245)
   130. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:28 PM (#5380246)
Out of wild curiosity any cites of all this "call everyone a racist and/or misogynist"?
I guess I imagined the Donald Trump and his supporters are deplorable and Jeff Sessions is a racist and Mike Pence wants to electrocute gays arguments.
   131. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:29 PM (#5380247)
I would add "Out of Africa" to the list of Streep movies I wish I had never sat through, although Redford bears a ton of the blame for that one.

Endless, basically watching the film meant you kept waiting for Klaus Maria Brandauer's scenes, whenever Redford was onscreen the film slowed to a halt and died... not sure that was his fault or not, the character as written was sleep inducing... Redford claims he wanted to do the character with an English Accent but the director insisted that the character's ethnicity be "opaque"... (in real life he was an English aristocrat, I don't know about "opaque" but Redford certainly didn't play him as an English Aristocrat- or as much of anything else either)
   132. Hot Wheeling American Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:30 PM (#5380248)
Saw Da Devil Wears Prada with my now wife the night of Day 1 of the NYS bar exam (I once read or heard a suggestion of seeing a movie that night as more studying was not going to do much at that point, so I went with it). Enjoyed Prada and, really, looking at the Top 15 of the box office that weekend, we clearly made the right call:

1. Pirates of Da Carribean: Dead Man's Chest
2. Monster House
3. Lady in the water
4. You, Me and Dupree
5. Little Man
6. Clerks II
7. My Super Ex-Girlfriend
8. Superman Returns (saw this during my July 4th weekend study break and was...disappointed)
9. The Devil Wears Prada
10. Cars
11. Click
12. An Inconvenient Truth
13. A Scanner Darkly
14. The Lake House
15. Nacho Libre

Woof indeed
   133. Greg K Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:31 PM (#5380250)
I don't believe I've seen Hathaway in anything since the 1999-2000 TV show "Get Real," the cast of which also included Jesse Eisenberg. Not bad at all.

I liked her in Interstellar...but that may have been how her big speech fits into the narrative rather than her performance per se.
   134. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:31 PM (#5380252)
I guess I imagined the Donald Trump and his supporters are deplorable and Jeff Sessions is a racist and Mike Pence wants to electrocute gays arguments.

Well, I really doubt Pence actually wants to electrocute gays...
   135. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:31 PM (#5380253)
Who would have given the more relatable performances as the McDonald's victim--Streep or Stanwyck?

And who would've then given the better performance as McDonald's lawyer?

Score: Stanwyck 2, Streep 0.
   136. Renegade (((JE))) Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:33 PM (#5380254)
I think I'd rather read one of Morty's neo-nazi links than anything by Piers Morgan. Do Americans actually take him seriously?
I don't know about all Americans but Andy seems to take Morty pretty seriously.
   137. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:33 PM (#5380255)
Out of wild curiosity any cites of all this "call everyone a racist and/or misogynist"?

So suggesting two specific people have issues - one of whom you as far as I can tell agree that Trump does have serious issues - is the exact same as "call everyone"?

So I will add "everyone" to the list of words which you don't seem to understand.
   138. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:34 PM (#5380261)

Andy seems to take Morty pretty seriously.

I respect knowledge, and Morty knows a lot about movies.
   139. Morty Causa Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:35 PM (#5380262)

And who would've then given the better performance as McDonald's lawyer?

The Fred MacMurray of Remember the Night or the Paul Newman of The Verdict? (Joe Pesci of My Cousin Vinnie as the defense attorney.)
   140. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:36 PM (#5380263)
fiat-to-invest-1-billion-in-new-michigan-ohio-plants-create-2000-jobs.html

Who'd a thunk that (promising to ) tax something (imports) might get you less of it!
Of course, Marchionne has been planning to expand the Jeep product line for years and this specific activity was first described in the 2014 FCA strategic plan, but don't let that stop Trump from claiming credit for it.

Jeeps have always been made in America and the major change here is that they are making these in Michigan instead of Toledo. but Marchionne made that announcement at the 2014 Paris auto show.

They are also expanding into international markets, but that doesn't "take jobs away" from Americans; those cars are made in Brazil for sale to Brazilians, etc. if Trump manages to get Brazil and China to lower their tariffs to make it feasible to build cars here and export them to Brazil, he will deserve praise, but until then this is silly.
   141. Morty Causa Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:40 PM (#5380265)
Again, tone and style vital to comic writing:

Lady Malvern was a hearty, happy, healthy, overpowering sort of dashed female, not so very tall but making up for it by measuring about six feet from the O.P. to the Prompt Side. She fitted into my biggest arm-chair as if it had been built round her by someone who knew they were wearing arm-chairs tight about the hips that season. She had bright, bulging eyes and a lot of yellow hair, and when she spoke she showed about fifty-seven front teeth. She was one of those women who kind of numb a fellow's faculties. She made me feel as if I were ten years old and had been brought into the drawing-room in my Sunday clothes to say how-d'you-do. Altogether by no means the sort of thing a chappie would wish to find in his sitting-room before breakfast.”. P.G. Wodehouse, "Jeeves and the Unbidden Guest"
   142. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:40 PM (#5380266)
#1809 Your experience is the way I'd hope mediation works. David's is the way I'd feared it does.
Of course some mediators are great. Particularly if both sides are motivated. A good one, in a big case, will spend days, sometimes, to try to hammer out a settlement.

But my experience has been less positive in general. And in particular, the way this mediation was described in the media coverage, I'm going to assume it falls into the category of completely-useless: some jurisdictions, and/or some judges, have a formal or informal policy of sending every case to a last-minute mediation the day or week before trial, whether the parties want it or not. In that case, people generally treat it as a perfunctory exercise; they do it because the judge tells them to, not because they think it will help (or want it to).
   143. Rickey! the first of his name Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:41 PM (#5380267)
If there's one thing a two decades of music criticism has taught me it's that ordinal rankings of artists or works tells you far more about the critic than the critiqued.

Meryl Streep is, by every rational account, a great actress. She doesn't do a lot of films that I find compelling or appealing, so I don't have any idea of her "best work" or if she's better or worse than Barbara ####### Stanwyck Who You ####### Will Never Shut The #### Up About. I do have a similar problem as Lassus notes above, where an actor comes to a point of fame that itself detracts from my ability to believe her or his character as anything other than an aspect of that actor. It's most obvious with super famous older talent (which is why I love #### like Helen Mirren in "R.E.D.") But I also have the issue if I strongly identify an actor with a previous role. For example, during Arrival I was immersed in Amy Adams' character from the start (I think she's a really good actress, right?) but every time Jeremy Renner's physicist came on-screen I was just all "HAWKEYE'S UNDERCOVER!!" internally.
   144. simon bedford Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:43 PM (#5380268)
Bad call on Joe Pesci as the lawyer for Mcdonalds ( he won his case and was quite good) maybe Keenu Reeves from "the devils advocate( "woah coffee is hot?).
   145. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:43 PM (#5380269)
The Mcdonalds victim was what late 60s at the time? so Helen Merril or Jessica Tandy back in the day.

79. I can see you've done your research.
   146. BDC Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:44 PM (#5380270)
Anne Hathaway was very good in Brokeback Mountain – she does not stand out in that picture, she fits into the ensemble unobtrusively, but she's strong.

Meryl Streep has been in some boring quality star vehicles (Out of Africa can stand for the whole type), but she also turns up now and then in lower-key films of successful plays, where she also fits into the ensemble: Marvin's Room, Dancing at Lughnasa, Doubt. If you haven't seen some of these, check them out. Not that they're deathless films, but that they work dramatically and preserve some interesting stage texts that would have been relatively forgotten without the film version. She also probably gets such films made – she never takes "executive producer" credit on a film but it's pretty clear that if she's interested in a project people make it happen.

I found a picture called Evening, from about ten years ago, pretty interesting, though it's an all-star ensemble "women's film" that I can see might not appeal to all. Another picture where Streep is low-key and does good work in a supporting role. By contrast she has the least interesting character in The Hours, though again that is probably one she helped get made at all.
   147. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:46 PM (#5380271)
But I also have the issue if I strongly identify an actor with a previous role. For example, during Arrival I was immersed in Amy Adams' character from the start (I think she's a really good actress, right?) but every time Jeremy Renner's physicist came on-screen I was just all "HAWKEYE'S UNDERCOVER!!" internally.

I had the WORST time with that in Snowpiercer. Captain America kept not acting like Captain America should and I knew I needed to get over it but still come on Steve Rogers let's go!
   148. McCoy Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:46 PM (#5380272)
Better yet, drop the coffee crap, period. It's basically been a 3-person circle jerk for hundreds of posts.

As opposed to the 4 person circle jerk that has gone on for 15 years?
   149. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:47 PM (#5380273)
If there's one thing a two decades of music criticism has taught me it's that ordinal rankings of artists or works tells you far more about the critic than the critiqued.

So what does it tell you that William F. Buckley once wrote that Elvis Presley had "the most beautiful singing voice of any human being on earth"?
   150. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:48 PM (#5380274)
I don't believe I've seen Hathaway in anything since the 1999-2000 TV show "Get Real," the cast of which also included Jesse Eisenberg. Not bad at all

She's the modern day Streep. Boring artsy projects, for the most part.
   151. McCoy Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:48 PM (#5380275)
and does anyone actually watch the Golden Globe Awards?

by that I mean anyone here?

I watched them but only because everyone else in the house wanted to watch them.
   152. simon bedford Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:48 PM (#5380276)
When I was younger I had a hard time with Willem Dafoe in "Mississippi burning " I felt they were all being so mean to Jesus. That and it was a dreadful film wasting a ton of good acting talent.
   153. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:49 PM (#5380278)
I just wanted David to entertain me further with his on going claims that this case was so easy for Mcdonalds to win
The careful reader will note that I never said this; since they lost, that couldn't possibly be true. The claim I've made is that McDonalds should have won, but the judge screwed up and failed to grant summary judgment the way virtually every other judge who has encountered such a case¹ has done.
,when it was absolutely obvious they were not going to "win" or appeal and they settled BEFORE final judgement was entered.

Watching him continue to claim they filed and appeal is pretty good comedy, obviously if that had happened it would be a major element of the story as the basis of the appeal would be part of the story. Of course no such thing happened.
Right. All the people across the ideological spectrum who said that it did are lying, just to make Simon look stupid. Tell us more about those Muslims celebrating 9/11, Donald.

¹Emphasis on "such a case." As I've said, cases where the restaurant is accused of negligence for spilling the drink on the customer are very different than cases where the argument is just "coffee is too hot."
   154. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:50 PM (#5380280)
So what does it tell you that William F. Buckley once wrote that Elvis Presley had "the most beautiful singing voice of any human being on earth"?

I don't know that I'd describe it as "beautiful" but it was a powerhouse singing voice, with great range.
   155. Lassus Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:51 PM (#5380281)
Greg K - if and when she gets to the end of the series, and she hasn't dumped you, I'd love to know what your GF thought of MEDICI: TELENUOVA! which we thankfully finished the other night.
   156. simon bedford Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:51 PM (#5380282)
I have to admit I have several times had the opposite experience where actors who I had personally type cast came out of nowhere to give
out of nowhere great performances, George Clooney in "up in the air" Tom Cruise "tropic of thunder" and I loathed both Andie Macdowell and Julie Roberts yet thought both were great in "Groundhog day" and "ellen Brokovich" respectively.
   157. Morty Causa Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:51 PM (#5380283)
Barbara ####### Stanwyck Who You ####### Will Never Shut The #### Up About.

You don't shut up about the classics--those who transcend their age and live in immortality. You discuss why they live forever. It's like with social and political commentary: there's Mark Twain or H. L. Mencken, say, and there are you dumbasses. It's instructive and edifying to discuss what constitutes the difference.
   158. BDC Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:52 PM (#5380284)
Helen Merril

I know this is a typo, but it got me wondering if Helen Merrill had ever made a movie. I can't find that she did. She is still alive, somehow managing to survive the conflagration of 2016. She and Keely Smith are among the last survivors of the great standards-singers of their era – along with Vera Lynn, who is still alive too, improbably.
   159. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:53 PM (#5380286)
I am shocked #157 didn't mention Dylan. I assume it was an oversight.
   160. Morty Causa Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:53 PM (#5380287)

Elvis had the facility for conveying a range of emotions in his singing. That's much better than mere technical perfection. And that, too, says something about Streep v. naturalistic acting.
   161. Rickey! the first of his name Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:54 PM (#5380289)
I had the WORST time with that in Snowpiercer. Captain America kept not acting like Captain America should and I knew I needed to get over it but still come on Steve Rogers let's go!

I just assumed that was him as the original Johnny Storm and that Ice Planet beats FLAME ON!
   162. simon bedford Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:54 PM (#5380290)
David
So you admit that it was not a slam dunk case? Cause now it seems like you are blaming the judge rather than the lawyer?
They did not appeal the case to a higher court. you know it and I know it we all know it now so you can drop the faux outrage and the smug attitude and go work on figuring out what "everyone" means. after you work on "harm".
   163. Rickey! the first of his name Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:54 PM (#5380291)

I'm not sure it's on the first page of the bullet list of \"#### William F. Buckley got wrong."
   164. Lassus Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:55 PM (#5380292)
[Hathaway's] the modern day Streep. Boring artsy projects, for the most part.

Um. No.
   165. Morty Causa Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:55 PM (#5380293)
I am shocked #157 didn't mention Dylan. I assume it was an oversight.

Some things go without saying.
   166. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:55 PM (#5380294)
(Yeah but not as much for McDonalds. I'm pretty sure they pay their legal team whether they're in court or in their office. But outside experts, etc. Even for a corporation with a legal team it's not free to appeal. Still the fact that they settled -- supposedly for something close what the judge awarded -- suggests to me very strongly that they didn't like their chances on appeal. Of course the plaintiff has good reason to want to settle too. Their costs are out of pocket. Even if the lawyer is likely working on contingency. --RNJ)
Ron, McDonalds, Inc. probably has scores of lawyers on staff, but their in house counsel don't try individual personal injury cases. They had an outside Albuquerque law firm handling the suit.
   167. Theo^J Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:55 PM (#5380295)
I'm sure she's a good actress but she chooses projects I have no interest in

It's in that choosing that actors are made, and reputations.

43 Streep performances ranked

I'm with Ray. I liked Adaptation, and you can argue for SC, Silkwood, and Ironweed... but man, I might rather have to make Sophie's choice than to sit through that movie all the way through.
   168. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:56 PM (#5380297)
1. Pirates of Da Carribean: Dead Man's Chest (brainless fun)
2. Monster House (never seen)
3. Lady in the water (I tried to watch once on TV... I really tried, completely unwatchable)
4. You, Me and Dupree (never seen)
5. Little Man (never seen)
6. Clerks II (never seen)
7. My Super Ex-Girlfriend (I tried to watch once on TV a couple of times...I like Uma Thurman, but it's bad, not Lady in the water bad*, but still bad)
8. Superman Returns (Kevin Spacey was great, and MAn of Steel/BVS makes this one look better in retrospect)
9. The Devil Wears Prada (I like Anne Hathaway and Emily Blunt, so sue me)
10. Cars (I saw this film 10+ times, yes I have two young boys why do you ask?)
11. Click (never seen)
12. An Inconvenient Truth (never seen)
13. A Scanner Darkly (never seen)
14. The Lake House (tried to watch on cable once...)
15. Nacho Libre (saw on cable, it's ok)

* "Lady in the water bad" When I'm feeling uncharitable I regard M. Night Shyamalan's career thusly, what if Uwe Bol once accidentally made a good film that made a ton of money, what would his career look like? Shyamalan's films are distinctive- with the exception of After Earth you can see that there's a director with a distinctive style behind the camera... Shyamalan would make a fine TV director with a Executive Producer in charge of editing and deciding what the story is... )
   169. Rickey! the first of his name Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:58 PM (#5380298)
Anne Hathaway was very good in Brokeback Mountain – she does not stand out in that picture, she fits into the ensemble unobtrusively, but she's strong.

I feel The Princess Diaries franchise is getting short shrift here.
   170. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:59 PM (#5380299)

I don't know that I'd describe it as "beautiful" but it was a powerhouse singing voice, with great range.

Elvis had the facility for conveying a range of emotions in his singing. That's much better than mere technical perfection.

I wouldn't disagree with that, though at times it's hard to distinguish the voice from the bloated cartoon figure he eventually became.
   171. Theo^J Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:59 PM (#5380301)
I really liked A Scanner Darkly -- Dick's best work, perhaps -- but I don't think I want to see it again.
   172. Rickey! the first of his name Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:59 PM (#5380302)
You don't shut up about the classics

Well, you certainly don't.

It's like with social and political commentary: there's Mark Twain or H. L. Mencken, say, and there are you dumbasses. It's instructive and edifying to discuss what constitutes the difference.

That's simple. You're old and prone to telling anyone under the age of 55 to get off of your lawn.
   173. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: January 09, 2017 at 12:59 PM (#5380303)
They had an outside Albuquerque law firm handling the suit.
Yikes.
   174. Greg K Posted: January 09, 2017 at 01:01 PM (#5380304)
* "Lady in the water bad" When I'm feeling uncharitable I regard M. Night Shyamalan's career thusly, what if Uwe Bol once accidentally made a good film that made a ton of money, what would his career look like? Shyamalan's films are distinctive- with the exception of After Earth you can see that there's a director with a distinctive style behind the camera... Shyamalan would make a fine TV director with a Executive Producer in charge of editing and deciding what the story is... )

I'm shocked to see someone gave him money to do another one. And with James McAvoy!
   175. Renegade (((JE))) Posted: January 09, 2017 at 01:02 PM (#5380305)
I respect knowledge, and Morty knows a lot about movies.
Huh, I didn't know Stormfront published film reviews.

#TheMoreYouKnow
   176. Morty Causa Posted: January 09, 2017 at 01:02 PM (#5380306)
I wouldn't disagree with that, though at times it's hard to distinguish the voice from the bloated cartoon figure he eventually became.

How much does the DiMaggio in the death throes of his career count for you?
   177. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: January 09, 2017 at 01:03 PM (#5380307)
I tend to view more positively those actors/actresses who do not call attention to the constructs of their performance. The naturalistic school of acting, I guess you could call it. That doesn't mean that a Streep, like a Brando or Day-Lewis or Dustin Hoffman (who at his best definitely has passion behind his method), hasn't had her moments.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. I can't stand method acting. I think Brando was awful in every movie I've seen him in besides The Godfather, and The Freshman.

This is one of my favorite Hollywood stories. I hope it's true.

A showbiz story involves his collaboration with Laurence Olivier on the 1976 film Marathon Man. Upon being asked by his co-star how a previous scene had gone, one in which Hoffmann’s character had supposedly stayed up for three days, Hoffmann admitted that he too had not slept for 72 hours to achieve emotional verisimilitude. “My dear boy,” replied Olivier smoothly, “why don’t you just try acting?”
   178. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 09, 2017 at 01:03 PM (#5380308)

I think 6th Sense, Unbreakable and even Signs mostly were OK movies. It just seems he believed his press clippings and could never pull himself out of his own rear end. Bizarrely similar to Quentin Tarantino, though I admit QT is better (I predict some will get annoyed at this comparison, such is life).
   179. Rickey! the first of his name Posted: January 09, 2017 at 01:04 PM (#5380309)

As close as you've come to clever in a decade. Keep working on it.
   180. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: January 09, 2017 at 01:04 PM (#5380310)
The overwhelming majority of Streep's catalog is populated with movies that are not at all my cup of tea, but I will certainly say that I've found her better and more memorable -- and made movies that I wouldn't particularly like or see if not for a GF/family/group insisting on them -- an enjoyable experience.

Among the ones I was more or less forced to watch, but came away impressed: Sophie's Choice, Ironweed, The Hours, and One True Thing were all movies I only watched (and was dreading watching) at the insistence of someone else, but came away honestly glad I saw them. Among Streep films I watched by choice -- Adaptation and the Iron Lady were both really good.

Comparing that with Scarlett Johansson seems rather silly... Lost in Translation was a very good to great film - but while she holds her own, I think that's more Murray's film (I suppose one could say the same about Adaptation in regards to Streep). Ditto Jolie -- action clunkers are not my cup of tea. Not to say that either does or doesn't have any acting chops, just saying that when I look through their filmographies, someone could swap the titles and names and I wouldn't know any better.

I'm pretty awful at even identifying/remembering who starred in any given film - especially when it comes to more or less pure eye candy roles (both male or female... I mean, which guy starred as which superhero? Pick a Jake Ford MacGuire Downey).

Streep stands out in my mind she's one of the few actresses where I instantly associate her, the actress, with a memorable role... Sally Field might be another, but she's more of a one-trick pony where she seems to play the same basic "Sally Field" character, whereas Streep's roles seem a lot more varied.

But as far which eye candy was Lara Croft, which one was Transformer, which one was Resident Evil or whatever? Who knows and who cares.
   181. Morty Causa Posted: January 09, 2017 at 01:04 PM (#5380311)
That's simple. You're old and prone to telling anyone under the age of 55 to get off of your lawn.

And you're old and think you're not because you wear your snap-on toupee backward--cool.
   182. Morty Causa Posted: January 09, 2017 at 01:06 PM (#5380312)

What's Stormfront?
   183. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 09, 2017 at 01:06 PM (#5380313)
David
So you admit that it was not a slam dunk case? Cause now it seems like you are blaming the judge rather than the lawyer?

Lawyers don't use the term "slam dunk case." No matter how strong your case is you always know that a judge/jury could get it wrong.

No lawyer ever promises to his client that his client is going to win and can't lose. ("Strong argument" is as far as I ever go.)
   184. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: January 09, 2017 at 01:07 PM (#5380314)
I suppose my cinematic opinion is somewhat tainted by the fact that if they never make another superhero or video game movie ever again, I will consider us having entered a true golden age of film.
   185. Greg K Posted: January 09, 2017 at 01:09 PM (#5380315)
There are a few actresses who, if I'm told they are in a movie I am suddenly interested in seeing it.

Tilda Swinton. Rebecca Hall is one...Carey Mulligan was for a little bit, but too many misses lately. I don't often think of her as a great actress, but I find I consistently enjoy Julianne Moore's films. Sarah Polley definitely, though she doesn't seem to act much anymore. Certainly the two Emmas, Thompson and Stone, though one's career seems mostly complete and the other is a bit of a work in progress, still measuring on potential. I've always got the sense that I rate Nicole Kidman a lot better than most people. Keira Knightley might fall into that category as well.
   186. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: January 09, 2017 at 01:09 PM (#5380316)
So you admit that it was not a slam dunk case?
I don't know how many times to repeat my position: it should have been a slam dunk, but it obviously didn't turn out that way. (ETA: No case is a slam dunk once it goes to trial, though.)
Cause now it seems like you are blaming the judge rather than the lawyer?
What lawyer have I ever blamed? It's obviously entirely plausible that McDonalds's lawyers did a poor job on the case -- it happens; the lawyer fails to prepare properly, or fails to prepare witnesses properly, or throws together a brief at the last minute that fails to cite the most helpful caselaw, or shows up to trial hungover -- but other than the hindsight argument (i.e., that they lost a case they should have won) I have no evidence for it.

I have always blamed the judge, for failing to grant summary judgment to McDonalds the way all the other judges who have heard these cases have.
They did not appeal the case to a higher court. you know it and I know it we all know it now so you can drop the faux outrage and the smug attitude and go work on figuring out what "everyone" means. after you work on "harm".
Maybe you'll find that video of Muslims celebrating if you keep trying.
   187. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: January 09, 2017 at 01:09 PM (#5380317)
I'm shocked to see someone gave him money to do another one. And with James McAvoy!

his last film made money, of course it only made money because it barely cost any money to make...
The new one? As always with him it's gimmicky as all hell (but apparently without the infamous Shyamalan "twist" ending), and shockingly initial reviews are good.
   188. Rickey! the first of his name Posted: January 09, 2017 at 01:10 PM (#5380318)
And you're old and think you're not because you wear your snap-on toupee backward--cool.

1. I am old.

2. I don't think I'm not.

3. You're older, and I wear mine far better than you.

4. You confuse refusing to remain stuck in the art of your teenage years and demanding that all new work be subservient to the preferred "greats" of your youth with cool hunting. It's continuing to live, you ossified old fossil.
   189. Theo^J Posted: January 09, 2017 at 01:11 PM (#5380319)
Stormfront has a movie review forum. Same web design as the bbtf forums.
   190. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: January 09, 2017 at 01:12 PM (#5380320)
You confuse refusing to remain stuck in the art of your teenage years and demanding that all new work be subservient to the preferred "greats" of your youth with cool hunting. It's continuing to live, you ossified old fossil.

Hell, I like the movies from my parents' youth (and before) better than my youth, or today.

191. Rickey! the first of his name Posted: January 09, 2017 at 01:12 PM (#5380321)
What's Stormfront?

Funny thing is, I assume that Morty would not know who Stormfront was *while* happily linking to them (and then decrying anyone who didn't treat that link as a pristine work of pure reason to be countered with God's Only Logos loudly.)
   192. Theo^J Posted: January 09, 2017 at 01:12 PM (#5380322)
Movies are much ####### worse now than ever.

/Scorsese
   193. simon bedford Posted: January 09, 2017 at 01:13 PM (#5380323)
David
You are the one not providing evidence of something major that clearly did not happen. Not me. You are the one claiming to have proof of an appeal that nobody else anywhere claims to have. And you wont produce it , instead you just insult and act like a child. Either produce a copy of the appeal they filed with the courts or admit you are talking out your ass. Cheers.
   194. Rickey! the first of his name Posted: January 09, 2017 at 01:13 PM (#5380324)
Hell, I like the movies from my parents' youth (and before) better than my youth, or today.

Yes. We know. You are *nostalgic* for a calcified fossil status you don't actually know.
   195. Rickey! the first of his name Posted: January 09, 2017 at 01:14 PM (#5380325)
Movies are much ####### worse now than ever.

/Scorsese

Born: November 17, 1942 (age 74), Queens, New York City, NY
Height: 5′ 4″
   196. Theo^J Posted: January 09, 2017 at 01:15 PM (#5380327)
Of course, I just watched Jumper.
   197. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: January 09, 2017 at 01:16 PM (#5380329)
43 Streep performances ranked

Random thoughts on that list (all from an "imo" perspective): The Iron Lady should be last (:p), Hope Springs is too low (it inspired this!), August: Osage County is waaay too high, Postcards from the Edge feels too low (though it might not actually be too low on my list), The Hours is probably a little low, Doubt is waaay too low (this might be my favourite Streep film, actually), Julie & Julia is too high (despite not being immune to the charms of that movie myself), I must be the only person here who actually enjoyed The Bridges of Madison County, and I'd drop Adaptation a decent bit also.

I'll unabashedly say that the Streep movie I revisit the most is The Devil Wears Prada, though.
   198. McCoy Posted: January 09, 2017 at 01:16 PM (#5380330)
but apparently without the infamous Shyamalan "twist" ending

Sounds like a Shyamlan twist to me if we're talking about The Visit.
   199. Morty Causa Posted: January 09, 2017 at 01:16 PM (#5380331)
Acting is like the whole movie-making process. It's better if you leave spaces for the viewer to fill. John Wayne commented on this in a tribute to John Ford. He said that Ford edited out that which was too obvious. He pruned the scripts. In The Searchers, at the end when Ethan lifts Debbie, the screenwriter had him say, "You look just like your mother," or something to that effect. Ford redacted it. Same thing with acting. Don't make it obvious how you doing it. It was either James Stewart or Henry Fonda who commented (paraphrase), "I don't do accents. I don't want the viewer to be concentrating on whether I'm getting the accent right. He should be open to the overall effect of the performance, and nothing should get in the way of that."
   200. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: January 09, 2017 at 01:17 PM (#5380332)
and even Signs mostly were OK movies.

Signs was an OK movie, you just had to really really check your brain and suspend disbelief for quite sometime, and even then you had to shove questions out of your consciousness, "ET travels through thousands of light years have mastered time and space, cannot get through a freaking wood door"
and the bit about water harming the ETs, no the idea that ETs would go to a planet covered with water doesn't bother me- humans will go through stuff dangerous to us to reach other stuff we want/need- but NO PROTECTIVE CLOTHING???? No Robot ETs? If we went to a planet covered in acid you don't think we wouldn't use robots or wear acid-resistive suits? Water is harmful to them , so they come here in person, unprotected? NAKED????
Page 2 of 20 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Francis
for his generous support.