Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, October 09, 2017

OTP 9 October 2017: Trump Tells Pence to Leave N.F.L. Game as Players Kneel During Anthem

Mr. Pence lavishly documented his early departure in a series of tweets and an official statement issued by his office. On Twitter, he declared, “I left today’s Colts game because @POTUS and I will not dignify any event that disrespects our soldiers, our Flag, or our National Anthem.”

While the vice president portrayed his decision as a gesture of patriotic principle, it had the distinct appearance of a well-planned, if costly, political stunt. He doubled back from a trip to the West Coast to take a seat in the stands in Indianapolis, where the 49ers — the team most associated with the N.F.L. protest movement against racial injustice — were suiting up to play the Colts.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: October 09, 2017 at 07:53 AM | 2170 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: nfl, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 19 of 22 pages ‹ First  < 17 18 19 20 21 >  Last ›
   1801. Lassus Posted: October 13, 2017 at 09:38 AM (#5552999)
That must be why women cry 12 times a week

Sure they do.
   1802. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: October 13, 2017 at 09:41 AM (#5553000)
hat must be why women cry 12 times a week, while men... don't.

By the way this is silly. A large part of the difference between how men and women act is socialization. It is more OK for women to cry than men, so they do.

To summarize ... there are biological differences between W and M. There are also socialized differences between W and M. And yet everyone should be treated similarly in most interactions - golden rule and all that.
   1803. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: October 13, 2017 at 09:41 AM (#5553001)
Royal Tenenbaums is Anderson's best work, and consensus critical opinion is lurching in that direction as we speak.

In my almost unbelievably humble opinion, of course.
   1804. BrianBrianson Posted: October 13, 2017 at 09:42 AM (#5553002)
Brian -- the capacity to give birth is a profoundly fundamental difference that rules both sexes. Once women are past the years of childbearing, similarities come more into play.

Even the most promiscuous of women give birth on maybe one day a year. For an average woman, she'll live thirty thousand days, and give birth on two.
   1805. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: October 13, 2017 at 09:48 AM (#5553004)
A large part of the difference between how men and women act is socialization. It is more OK for women to cry than men, so they do.

This isn't true even in the most basic of senses. Men by the bucketful are very much not "OK" with women crying, whereas the vast, vast majority of women give zero ##### if men cry.

More broadly, women have different hormonal makeups than men, and this goes right to things like different hormones being released after orgasm. Yours is an ideological, not scientific, observation.
   1806. BDC Posted: October 13, 2017 at 09:49 AM (#5553005)
Life Aquatic was my least-favorite Anderson film

Mine too. It didn't seem to have any real dramatic interest to it – in the sense of characters with energy who want different things and are in conflict. But The Royal Tenenbaums and The Grand Budapest Hotel are loaded in that respect, and I like them both.
   1807. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: October 13, 2017 at 09:50 AM (#5553006)
Even the most promiscuous of women give birth on maybe one day a year. For an average woman, she'll live thirty thousand days, and give birth on two.

LOL. And the bond she'll have with the child through the pregnancy process -- an entirely different physiological one than a man will have -- will persist through her lifetime.
   1808. There are no words... (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: October 13, 2017 at 09:52 AM (#5553008)

But, my advice to all of us here, per a very recent movie, "Lighten up, Francis."

Another quote that can be applied to almost any topic brought up here!

And Morty? Very recent movie? It's 36 years old.
   1809. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: October 13, 2017 at 09:53 AM (#5553009)
PretendLand appears to be doing a very booming business this morning. Forget the newsletter ... is there a way one can buy stock?
   1810. Morty Causa Posted: October 13, 2017 at 09:58 AM (#5553012)
1795:

I like this post very much and agree in toto. Some directors, like Hitchcock and Ford, have obviously stamped their character on their films. They can't help it. Ford in The Long Voyage Home takes a few Eugene O'Neil short plays and makes a powerfully integrated whole that is definitely Fordian. Same with the move of The Grapes of Wrath. That scene when the Joads enter the camp and the mother invites the hungry children to get a stick and come back to get a taste out of her pot, and then the young girl angrily turns around and stalks off--heartbreaking and pure Ford (whether it's in the book or not).

Film is a hugely collaborative art, but there's a Romantic myth of the lonely creator that we can't quite get away from.

And that is the conclusion of those who oppose auteurism, and it's something that really Sarris didn't deny. He just thought that director was the overweening force, which is probably usually true. That is when Tim Burton comes in. I haven't seen but like two or three movies of his, so I'm hardly an expert, but he's used in that link at the end to show that even with a highly individual artist like Burton movies remain a collaborative venture. Butron spent very little time with Nightmare Before Xmas, but many consider it a Burton film.

A director is kind of like a general--a Patton or a MacArthur--someone who definitely has his way of fighting a battle and a war with a set strategy and tactics in mind.
   1811. Satan Says Posted: October 13, 2017 at 09:58 AM (#5553014)
We all like Wes Anderson. Interesting.
   1812. BDC Posted: October 13, 2017 at 10:00 AM (#5553015)
More broadly, women have different hormonal makeups than men, and this goes right to things like different hormones being released after orgasm

Yeah yeah yeah.

Here's a genuinely open question. I assume most of us have jobs or otherwise interact with people in groups that, unlike BBTF, are mixed-gender.

When interacting with someone in your job or whatever group, how often do you think to yourself "X is a woman, I must deal with her in XX way because she has XX traits" … as opposed to "Y is a man, I must deal with him in XY way because he has XY traits?"

I mean, assuming y'all haven't both just had orgasms.

1813. Morty Causa Posted: October 13, 2017 at 10:01 AM (#5553016)
And Morty? Very recent movie? It's 36 years old.

:>) Can't get my fast one by you.
   1814. Satan Says Posted: October 13, 2017 at 10:02 AM (#5553017)
There's no mystery to who I am any more," she says. "You know, you go through your whole life looking for an identity and then you become a mother and you're like: 'Oh … I'm a mom.' So no matter what, that's what I am. If everything else fades, I'm, still a mom. The acting, the modelling, the career – I'd give it all up tomorrow for her. Everything else is secondary, which makes it all the more enjoyable, because it's not like the be-all-and-end-all, its more like: oh, cool. A movie in Puerto Rico? That sounds fun. Get me out of the house for a little bit. Maybe I can go to New York for a few days and get some sleep …" You've been using your promotional tour to catch up on sleep? "It's the only time I don't get woken up with 'mama!' all the time. I mean you can try ignoring it, but it's just impossible."

-- Milla Jovovich

Saw The Fifth Element on the big screen this week. Made me cry.
   1815. BrianBrianson Posted: October 13, 2017 at 10:02 AM (#5553018)
More broadly, women have different hormonal makeups than men

Broadly, women have the same hormonal makeup as men. When you dig into the minutia, you can find some differences.
   1816. Hysterical & Useless Posted: October 13, 2017 at 10:04 AM (#5553020)
1612. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: October 12, 2017 at 02:42 PM (#5551383)

It doesn't matter if they're young enough to be called boys.

High School senior and College Freshman. But they will always be my boys. Well a little longer anyway.

My kids are in their 30s. They are still my babies. No, I don't call them that when they or their SOs are around, but that's what they are.

Granted, I am a sentimental sap. But I'm comfortable with that.
   1817. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: October 13, 2017 at 10:06 AM (#5553021)
That must be why women cry 12 times a week

Maybe somebody called their favorite President Hitler.... I hear that's a justification for mewling about it for a year.
   1818. Satan Says Posted: October 13, 2017 at 10:07 AM (#5553023)
When interacting with someone in your job or whatever group, how often do you think to yourself "X is a woman, I must deal with her in XX way because she has XX traits" … as opposed to "Y is a man, I must deal with him in XY way because he has XY traits?"

I don't think about it, but the interactions are different.

In a lot of ways, I liked workimg with women more, if they weren't fighting amongst themselves. I ignore the men for the most part -- too much drama.
   1819. The Good Face Posted: October 13, 2017 at 10:08 AM (#5553024)
Broadly, women have the same hormonal makeup as men. When you dig into the minutia, you can find some differences.

Broadly, chimpanzees have the same genetic makeup as humans. When you dig into the minutia, you can find some differences.

1820. Satan Says Posted: October 13, 2017 at 10:08 AM (#5553025)
Broadly, women have the same hormonal makeup as men.

Do they walk like women and talk like men in your parts?
   1821. BrianBrianson Posted: October 13, 2017 at 10:12 AM (#5553027)

How do women walk? On their tongues like slugs?
   1822. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: October 13, 2017 at 10:14 AM (#5553028)

Well, as to in the workplace, no -- although it must be admitted that a massive socialization effort has been undertaken to get people to that point. I'm a more advanced member of the species, of course, so it comes more natural to me, but in the absence of the massive socialization effort, you'd have tons of people treating them differently. Indeed a lot of people still do, despite the MSE.

As to "whatever group," that comes down to the age-old question of whether heterosexual men and heterosexual women can ever truly be "just friends." You'll get widely different answers to that question. (The movie tie here is, of course, "When Harry Met Sally.")
   1823. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: October 13, 2017 at 10:15 AM (#5553029)
Maybe somebody called their favorite President Hitler.... I hear that's a justification for mewling about it for a year.

A year? Way to understate it my man!
   1824. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: October 13, 2017 at 10:15 AM (#5553030)
Broadly, chimpanzees have the same genetic makeup as humans. When you dig into the minutia, you can find some differences.

Nice try, but nobody is buying that all those grooming sessions with chimps were solely scientific experiments to dig into the minutia.
   1825. There are no words... (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: October 13, 2017 at 10:19 AM (#5553033)

The title escapes me, but I think it is Dead End Kids.

Angels with Dirty Faces (?)
   1826. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: October 13, 2017 at 10:19 AM (#5553034)
How do women walk? On their tongues like slugs?

Because of hip construction (and clothing/shoes) women do actually walk differently* than men, and they run very differently. But then again, so what?

* Gait and such. The mechanics of one foot in front of the other is basically the same, we are all bipedal after all.
   1827. Morty Causa Posted: October 13, 2017 at 10:29 AM (#5553038)
My opinion: I don't see how anyone can deny with a straight-face that there are essential differences between males and females, and it has its foundation in biology, a biology that created and extends finally through that creation to a different psychology and thus different roles in our social organizations.

Yeah, yeah, I know the sexes are mostly alike, but we're mostly alike to the chimps and that doesn't mean there aren't key differences there. Think the peacock: it is the peacock, not the peahen, that has to come bearing gifts, that takes risks (whose evolved physical features are ensconced in risk), that has evolved to impress the opposite sex so as to mate and find a mate. That applies generally through the animal kingdom, which, need I say, includes humans. That the two sexes are different in key ways is going to mean that they will have different brains and psychology to some significant degree. But in most cases, it's more of a tendency, albeit a strong one, than bright-line demarcations.

There's a reason The Beatles were comprised of John, Paul, George, and Ringo, and not Jane, Scarlett, Thelma, and Louise. And that security at their concerts found urine-soaked panties everywhere after those concerts. Males have to express themselves for a very real reason. Females don't have to do that that way. If a woman/girl is good-looking and has tits, they don't care if she's working on the cure for cancer or not. Females instead thrive on staying within themselves, on playing their cards close to their chest until they make a decision and choose what they want. (I’ve always thought this has a role in why women historically haven’t created, haven’t had that urge to excel. Yes, yes, I know there are exceptions.) What is it? 80 percent of the women throughout history who have made it to child-bearing age have had progeny. But only 40 percent of the males have. (Remember that Ray Baumeister interview I posted?) Think about that.

1828. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 13, 2017 at 10:35 AM (#5553040)
Royal Tenenbaums is Anderson's best work,

Anderson's best work sucks.
   1829. Swoboda is freedom Posted: October 13, 2017 at 10:36 AM (#5553041)
Royal Tenenbaums is Anderson's best work,

I just think you're kind of a son of a #####.
   1830. BrianBrianson Posted: October 13, 2017 at 10:38 AM (#5553043)
My opinion: I don't see how anyone can deny with a straight-face that there are essential differences between males and females, and it has its foundation in biology, a biology that created and extends finally through that creation to a different psychology and thus different roles in our social organizations.

Because some people know what the word "essential" means. And if people aren't trying to be political, they know this. Watch Mellow Mouse

Because of hip construction (and clothing/shoes) women do actually walk differently* than men, and they run very differently. But then again, so what?

* Gait and such. The mechanics of one foot in front of the other is basically the same, we are all bipedal after all.

Or "Women walk differently from men. Very differently. I mean - basically the same. But that's not politically convenient."
   1831. Morty Causa Posted: October 13, 2017 at 10:39 AM (#5553044)
Women have flung themselves at alpha males since forever. Just in recent times, there are male movie stars, male rock stars, even poets and scientists (Einstein got his). What corresponds to that--where are males flinging themselves en masse at women? And how does that reconcile with the peacock/peahen?
   1832. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: October 13, 2017 at 10:39 AM (#5553045)

The title escapes me, but I think it is Dead End Kids.

Angels with Dirty Faces (?)

That's the one, and here's the famous scene where Rocky Dies Yellow at the urging of Father Connolly (Pat O'Brien), as a final act of redemption. (The Dead End Kids were the intended recipients of the message.) As a side note, that final scene was one of the countless number Hollywood movies in the Code era that strongly implied that Catholicism was the Official Religion of the United States, the guardian of all that was right and good.
   1833. BrianBrianson Posted: October 13, 2017 at 10:39 AM (#5553046)
There's a reason The Beatles were comprised of John, Paul, George, and Ringo, and not Jane, Scarlett, Thelma, and Louise.

Or for us children of the 80s, why the biggest musical artists were Michael Jackson and Madonna, and not Michelle Jilldottir and Cuckoldy Joe*? Wait ....

*Is there a latin-y name for the guy?
   1834. BrianBrianson Posted: October 13, 2017 at 10:41 AM (#5553049)
What corresponds to that--where are males flinging themselves en masse at women?

As far from Chloë Grace Moretz's house as her hired goons can keep them.
   1835. Lassus Posted: October 13, 2017 at 10:45 AM (#5553050)
What corresponds to that--where are males flinging themselves en masse at women?

On the street, just about every day of their lives?
   1836. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: October 13, 2017 at 10:52 AM (#5553053)
Anderson's best work sucks.

Far too authoritative.

Troll!
   1837. BDC Posted: October 13, 2017 at 10:54 AM (#5553055)
I don't want to close off discussion early, but it seems nobody here treats men and women differently at work or in other organizational settings, even Perros and Sugar Bear. (This is what we call an a fortiori argument; if even the furthest-out have an uncontroversial view, it is unlikely the others will be controversial :)

Bear notes that a lot of people do and have treated men and women differently in society, which is a different question and a matter not of the individual's gender but of other people's prejudices about that gender.

And that seems to me 99.9% of the liberal view on gender, at least in practical everyday terms (time spent reading Judith Butler for paradoxical insights aside). You show up at work, church, the garden club, the Senate, whatever, and a person's a person; they have strong individual tendencies to be drama queens or pedants or nurturers or #######s, not always stereotypical to their gender or sexuality, you deal with them, you go home. When you go home, you can be as masculine or feminine as you wanna be, spend the evening shooting enemies in a video game or crying 12 times during The Sound of Music, and that may be as hormonally-based as all Hell. But leave it at home.
   1838. Morty Causa Posted: October 13, 2017 at 10:56 AM (#5553057)
That's the one, and here's the famous scene where Rocky Dies Yellow at the urging of Father Connolly (Pat O'Brien), as a final act of redemption. As a side note, that final scene was one of the countless number Hollywood movies in the Code era that strongly implied that Catholicism was the Official Religion of the United States, the guardian of all that was right and good.

That is a good point. A)The Catholic Church is sufficiently monolithic, or was, and B) it was by far, at least in large urban areas, the sect with the most members, and C) the Catholic Church was highly organized with institutions that dealt with censorship, and D) the Catholicism in movies of that time, for the most part, is universalized, even secularized. As this last, I've always had a feeling that secularism was the result, a compromise and rapprochement of the (shall we say) conceptual conflict between Catholicism and Jews who had influence in Hollywood.
   1839. There are no words... (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: October 13, 2017 at 10:57 AM (#5553060)

:>) Can't get my fast one by you.

Hey, I still have a hard time remembering 1980 was THIRTY-something years ago, rather than TWENTY-something...
   1840. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: October 13, 2017 at 10:57 AM (#5553061)
Because some people know what the word "essential" means. And if people aren't trying to be political, they know this. Watch Mellow Mouse

???

I wasn't being political, I was being pedantic. Men and women do actually walk and run with a very different gait - promise. But if you want to throw "Essential" as part of the mix, then sure.

I think you are maybe overreacting to what I wrote.
   1841. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: October 13, 2017 at 10:57 AM (#5553063)

On the street, just about every day of their lives?

Yeah, that seemed like a weird question. I'm thinking maybe Morty was hoping there was an actual tribe of sex-starved Amazons he could visit for all the snu-snu he could handle.
   1842. Morty Causa Posted: October 13, 2017 at 10:59 AM (#5553066)
1837:

Neat. But an evasion.

1843. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: October 13, 2017 at 11:00 AM (#5553068)
This is what we call an a fortiori argument; if even the furthest-out have an uncontroversial view

I'm not even close to the furthest out in my actual conduct and comportment.

Bear notes that a lot of people do and have treated men and women differently in society, which is a different question and a matter not of the individual's gender but of other people's prejudices about that gender.

Actually, with heterosexuals, a big part of it is the possibility of sex. I'm not sure we can plausibly denominate that a "prejudice."
   1844. There are no words... (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: October 13, 2017 at 11:01 AM (#5553070)

Lo-lo-lo-lo-Lola...
   1845. BrianBrianson Posted: October 13, 2017 at 11:01 AM (#5553071)
Men and women do actually walk and run with a very different gait - promise.

Yeah, you started with that, and then were forced to admit

So actually, it's a very similar gait. With a marginal difference.
   1846. Morty Causa Posted: October 13, 2017 at 11:03 AM (#5553074)
1835:

Sorry, no cigar.
   1847. Swoboda is freedom Posted: October 13, 2017 at 11:04 AM (#5553075)
By the way, I just finished the book "Salt". Someone here recommended it. Forget who. I really liked it, so thanks.

I think it went on too long. The first 1/2 to 3/4s was great, but didn't really need the rest.
   1848. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: October 13, 2017 at 11:05 AM (#5553078)
Meanwhile, in the category of #### that matters:

President Donald Trump plans to cut off subsidy payments to insurers selling Obamacare coverage in his most aggressive move yet to undermine his predecessor's health care law.

The subsidies, which are worth an estimated $7 billion this year and are paid out in monthly installments, may stop almost immediately since Congress hasn’t appropriated funding for the program.

The decision — which leaked out only hours after Trump signed an executive order calling for new regulations to encourage cheap, loosely regulated health plans — delivered a double whammy to Obamacare after months of failed GOP efforts to repeal the law. With open enrollment for the 2018 plan year set to launch in two weeks, the moves seem aimed at dismantling the law through executive actions.

Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders confirmed the decision in a statement emailed to reporters Thursday night.

“Based on guidance from the Department of Justice, the Department of Health and Human Services has concluded that there is no appropriation for cost-sharing reduction payments to insurance companies under Obamacare,” she said. “In light of this analysis, the Government cannot lawfully make the cost-sharing reduction payments. …The bailout of insurance companies through these unlawful payments is yet another example of how the previous administration abused taxpayer dollars and skirted the law to prop up a broken system.”

Politico
   1849. There are no words... (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: October 13, 2017 at 11:05 AM (#5553079)

The Dead End Kids were the intended recipients of the message

And apparently, they got it, seeing as how they went on make a slew of goofy vignette movies as The Bowery Boys...
   1850. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: October 13, 2017 at 11:08 AM (#5553085)

So actually, it's a very similar gait. With a marginal difference.

IF ONLY THERE WERE SOMEONE HERE WHO HAD PUBLISHED ON THE BIOMECHANICS OF GAIT.
   1851. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: October 13, 2017 at 11:11 AM (#5553088)
Huffington Post, February 2017:

The Native Americans called us Two Spirits. In the tribe we were sometimes considered more sacred than the Shaman and in a lot of cases, we were sought out by those who needed relationship advice.

As someone who transitioned in her mid-thirties, I have had the opportunity to see both the male and female worlds from the inside. People are only now starting to realize the Transgender experience gives us a unique perspective when it comes to the differences between the sexes. Now, the information in this article may be especially helpful to any heterosexual couple, so forgive me if this article is a little hetero-centric, but they seem to have the hardest time understanding each other since you know, they insist on making “opposites“ work.

First off, let’s talk about hormones. We all know about the external differences that hormones create, but people often forget that they play a large role on what’s going on inside you and how you feel. Hormones are very, very important.

There are two basic sex hormones: Testosterone and Estrogen

They are found in both the male and female body, but at different levels of course.

Here is a simple table derived from information on the Mayo Clinic’s web site & here as well.
TESTOSTERONE

ESTOGEN

MEN (> = 19 yrs old)
240-950 ng/dL

10-40 pg/mL

WOMEN (> = 19 yrs old*)
8-60 ng/dL

15-350 pg/mL

* Premenopausal. Estrogen rates change for women during pregnancy as well.

For the sake of argument, and because levels can differ so much in range, I’m going to use the highest numbers for this example.

So let’s do the math here:

950 / 60 = 15.88 so for argument’s sake, let’s say that men have 16x more Testosterone than women.

And:

350 / 40 = 8.75 so for argument’s sake, let’s say that women have 9x more Estrogen than men.

So what does that mean?

Let’s take a look at what each hormone is responsible for.

According to Wikipedia:

“In humans and other mammals, testosterone is secreted primarily by the testicles of males and, to a lesser extent, the ovaries of females. Small amounts are also secreted by the adrenal glands. It is the principal male sex hormone and an anabolic steroid.”

Whoa... let’s stop there. See something interesting? “It is the principal male sex hormone.” That will become important shortly if you’re not already piecing this together.

Once again, according to Wikipedia:

“Estrogen ... is the primary female sex hormone and is responsible for development and regulation of the female reproductive system and secondary sex characteristics.”

See it again? “Estrogen ... is the primary female sex hormone.”

Now that I’ve got those two thoughts floating around in your brain, what is something that men are notorious for? I mean, women want it too, but what does every man think about 24/7?

Sex.

So testosterone makes men want to have sex and estrogen does women?

Not so fast. You didn’t think women were that easy to understand right?

As it turns out, testosterone has a part to play in the female sex drive as well.

It’s mentioned in everyday HEALTH, WebMD, Redbook, but unfortunately due to the lack of women’s health studies, I was unable to find scientific sites to site. Here’s a link to slides with more facts about Testosterone.

So now we know that testosterone also affects a woman’s sex dive, let’s take a look at a couple of other effects hormones have on the body.

Taken from the Livestrong website; “Aside from adverse physical effects, rage and aggressive behavior is associated with testosterone.”

To be fair, some more info on estrogen.

From WebMD.com:

· Increasing serotonin, and the number of serotonin receptors in the brain.
· Modifying the production and the effects of endorphins, the “feel-good” chemicals in the brain.

(Side note: serotonin according to Wikipedia: “It is popularly thought to be a contributor to feelings of well-being and happiness.”)

So what have we learned? Testosterone is responsible for sex drive both in males and females as well as aggressive behavior sometimes resulting in rage. Estrogen does help the female sex drive, but has other prominent effects on their emotions.

Remember, both hormones are present in each member of the sexes.

So what does all this mean?

It means, when a man gets turned on, he feels approximately 16x more turned on than your average female. This does not take into account estrogen in the women’s body, but since I have expressed that testosterone is the leading sex drive hormone, I’m going to focus on that to keep the argument simple.

I have heard women complain about men’s libidos and no wonder why. Can you imagine being 16x more horny? You’d be humping the couch. This doesn’t excuse men to be deviants, it’s only something to take in consideration and please, ladies, have some respect for a man that can keep it in his pants. It’s hard, pun intended. Sorry gentleman, but you’ll just have to deal with it, or you could join our side...

I also mentioned that testosterone increases one’s “aggressive behavior” which means when he gets mad at something, ladies, he gets around 16x more angry. You wonder why he’s so upset at the lawn mower screaming at it in the backyard. Honestly, he can’t help it. Don’t try to help or calm him, just let him vent and wait till he’s done.

Now let’s flip it around.

Men, do you want to know why you two are sitting on the beach watching the beautiful sunset together and suddenly she starts to cry? You frantically make sure it wasn’t something you did, but you forgot the math from earlier... she’s feeling that sunset almost 9x more than you are. “Yeah, it’s touching but jeez it’s not that special.” No, not to you, but to her it is. All you need to do, is understand that. 9x more feels gentlemen, it’s not always fun.

When something is tearing her up inside and she’s keeping a stone cold face, remember that she is still feeling it 9x more than you. Respect that.

I’ve heard men complain about their woman “flipping out.” You would too if it meant 9x that much more to you.

These are just hormones. I don’t have enough space to go into the plethora of other differences but if I can leave you with anything it’s this simple way to look at things.

Women, when he’s horny or angry.... he feels that 16x more than you do. Respect that.

Men, when you get horny, she’s 16x less as interested... Respect that.

...but most of all remember that she feels 9x more than you do.

So when you come home with her favorite whatever after work, imagine to her, that feeling is 9x as powerful.

Of course, there will always be exceptions, but when we come to understand ourselves and what makes us tick, we can learn to understand others better as well.

I mean, yeah -- other than things like hormonally-derived significant differences between women and men in sex drive and propensity to anger and aggression there's no essential differences.
   1852. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: October 13, 2017 at 11:12 AM (#5553089)
Yeah, you started with that, and then were forced to admit

Forced? It was the exact same post. I was qualifying my pedantic post. Again you are being really weird on this. My post was not some sort of weird personal attack on you, it was just correctly noting that one of the biological differences between men and women is their hip construction, which leads to a difference in gait.

Why you think it was anything other than that is a complete mystery to me. But sure yeah I was "forced". Get a grip dude.
   1853. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: October 13, 2017 at 11:13 AM (#5553090)
IF ONLY THERE WERE SOMEONE HERE WHO HAD PUBLISHED ON THE BIOMECHANICS OF GAIT.

Sad :(
   1854. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: October 13, 2017 at 11:15 AM (#5553093)
That's the one, and here's the famous scene where Rocky Dies Yellow at the urging of Father Connolly (Pat O'Brien), as a final act of redemption. As a side note, that final scene was one of the countless number Hollywood movies in the Code era that strongly implied that Catholicism was the Official Religion of the United States, the guardian of all that was right and good.

That is a good point. A)The Catholic Church is sufficiently monolithic, or was, and B) it was by far, at least in large urban areas, the sect with the most members, and C) the Catholic Church was highly organized with institutions that dealt with censorship, and D) the Catholicism in movies of that time, for the most part, is universalized, even secularized. As this last, I've always had a feeling that secularism was the result, a compromise and rapprochement of the (shall we say) conceptual conflict between Catholicism and Jews who had influence in Hollywood.

And yet the lasting stereotype about Hollywood is that it was (and is) controlled by Jews. But anyone in the 40's and 50's whose knowledge of movies was confined to watching the plots unfold on the screen, with their endless onslaught of kindly yet worldwise priests and rigid moral codes, would scratch their heads at the thought that Jews were controlling anything.
   1855. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: October 13, 2017 at 11:18 AM (#5553095)
The Dead End Kids were the intended recipients of the message

And apparently, they got it, seeing as how they went on make a slew of goofy vignette movies as The Bowery Boys...

And even before that, during WW2 there were the 22 "East Side Kids" movies that featured several members of the Dead End Kids cast.
   1856. Morty Causa Posted: October 13, 2017 at 11:20 AM (#5553097)

The Bowery Boys movies were a staple of my Saturday afternoon Big 2 Feature when I was growing up in a small town in the '50s.There was one or two every month that filled one-half of that double feature. Loved them, but (see Jerry Lewis comment) only at that boyhood time of my life.
   1857. Lassus Posted: October 13, 2017 at 11:24 AM (#5553098)
I think it went on too long. The first 1/2 to 3/4s was great, but didn't really need the rest.

Enough about sex.
   1858. There are no words... (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: October 13, 2017 at 11:28 AM (#5553102)

The Bowery Boys movies were a staple of my Saturday afternoon Big 2 Feature when I was growing up in a small town in the '50s.There was one or two every month that filled one-half of that double feature. Loved them, but (see Jerry Lewis comment) only at that boyhood time of my life.

In New York, from the mid-'50s to the early-'80s, there was a show on Sunday mornings (8:00 to 11:00) called Wonderama. It was fantastic for a kid! A 3 hour combo of celebrity interviews (seriously: I saw Muhammed Ali, Robert Merrill, Billie Jean King, Abba, Mark Spitz and many more interviewed on that show), party games, prize giveaways and Warner Brothers cartoons.

The Bowery Boys were always on right after and that's when I knew the weekend was going to be over soon.
   1859. BrianBrianson Posted: October 13, 2017 at 11:34 AM (#5553107)
I mean, yeah -- other than things like hormonally-derived significant differences between women and men in sex drive and propensity to anger and aggression there's no essential differences.

Cherry pick the most extreme examples. What if we choose insulin and oxytocin? Even though the latter is important for sex-related things like making a mucusy vagina, they're present in men and women at pretty much the same level.

Nevermind nonsense like

350 / 40 = 8.75 so for argument’s sake, let’s say that women have 9x more Estrogen than men.

Even though even the numbers quoted show estrogen heavy men have more than estrogen light women. And the assumption that twice as much hormone = twice as much effect is almost certainly nuts (and totally unjustified).
   1860. Dan The Mediocre is one of "the rest" Posted: October 13, 2017 at 11:36 AM (#5553110)
By the way, I just finished the book "Salt". Someone here recommended it. Forget who. I really liked it, so thanks.

I felt the same way. Once they got to the Petite Anse part of the book, it lost what it had (though the anecdote about the origin of Tabasco Sauce was mildly interesting).
   1861. Morty Causa Posted: October 13, 2017 at 11:40 AM (#5553112)
I felt the same way. Once they got to the Petite Anse part of the book, it lost what it had (though the anecdote about the origin of Tabasco Sauce was mildly interesting).

What was the anecdote about Tabasco Sauce (since I live about 15 miles from Avery Island and Mcilhenny plant, I'm mildly interested)?
   1862. simpleton & childlike gef the talking mongoose Posted: October 13, 2017 at 11:44 AM (#5553116)

Uh-oh. I'm about 1/5th of the way into it. (Started it maybe 3 weeks ago but suddenly succumbed to a mood for fiction, so read a YA post-apocalyptic tetralogy, a horror novel & 2 mysteries in the interval.) I have the same author's book on oysters checked out as well.
   1863. Satan Says Posted: October 13, 2017 at 11:47 AM (#5553119)
When you go home, you can be as masculine or feminine as you wanna be, spend the evening shooting enemies in a video game or crying 12 times during The Sound of Music, and that may be as hormonally-based as all Hell. But leave it at home.

Who else is at home, how did you meet them, are offspring involved, etc.
Compartmentalization is a great male trait, as long as you don't take it to heart.
   1864. Satan Says Posted: October 13, 2017 at 11:53 AM (#5553122)
Also, what traits drew you to your mate? Did you pick somebody at random? Your best friend? Did you distinguish between male and female when you did so?

There are plenty of interesting things to talk about as human beings, but why deny basic biology, or evolution?

But don't think too hard. Just do what comes naturally.

1865. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 13, 2017 at 11:54 AM (#5553125)

The movie's better. Angelina Jolie kills it.
   1866. There are no words... (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: October 13, 2017 at 11:54 AM (#5553126)

So says Satan...
   1867. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 13, 2017 at 11:55 AM (#5553128)
The male vs female discussion in the form it's taken here is decidedly... not interesting.

Brian is so far off the reservation that a discussion with him about it is pointless. (BM, too, I suspect, judging from his opening salvos but as I stopped following the sidebar I can't say for sure.)

Party of Science! The discussion Brian is having is not fact-based. It starts from emotion and religion, and devolves from there.
   1868. Swoboda is freedom Posted: October 13, 2017 at 11:58 AM (#5553130)
Uh-oh. I'm about 1/5th of the way into it. (Started it maybe 3 weeks ago but suddenly succumbed to a mood for fiction, so read a YA post-apocalyptic tetralogy, a horror novel & 2 mysteries in the interval.) I have the same author's book on oysters checked out as well.

I read his book "Cod" too. I liked that one as well. Didn't read the oysters one.
   1869. BrianBrianson Posted: October 13, 2017 at 12:09 PM (#5553140)
Also, what traits drew you to your mate? Did you pick somebody at random? Your best friend? Did you distinguish between male and female when you did so?

There are plenty of interesting things to talk about as human beings, but why deny basic biology, or evolution?

Maybe there's an option where men and women aren't totally identical, but also not fundamentally dissimilar? Yeah, my wife's sex matters to me. But that's an extreme outlier - my boss's sex doesn't matter, my students' sexes doesn't matter, my friends' sexes don't matter. And really, most of the time, my wife's sex isn't important - most of the stuff we do together, I could just as easily do with a man.

If women walked on their tongues, that'd be fundamentally different from how men walk. Having a slightly different bipedal gait (on average!) is just that. Slightly different.
   1870. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: October 13, 2017 at 12:09 PM (#5553141)
so read a YA post-apocalyptic tetralogy

I thought you said teratology, and I thought to myself, "Well yeah, come the apocalypse there's probably going to be a whole bunch of teratology.
   1871. simpleton & childlike gef the talking mongoose Posted: October 13, 2017 at 12:33 PM (#5553156)
I thought you said teratology, and I thought to myself, "Well yeah, come the apocalypse there's probably going to be a whole bunch of teratology.

That fits nicely with the old Basil Wolverton sf strips I've been looking over as well.
   1872. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: October 13, 2017 at 12:36 PM (#5553158)
Having a slightly different bipedal gait (on average!) is just that. Slightly different.

You aren't aiming to explain or advocate, but to obscure.

"Slight" differences in body chemistry can have massive impacts. The only difference between a live 30 year old male and a dead 30 year old male can be a couple drops of ricin. The differences can't be any more "slight" than that.

1873. madvillain Posted: October 13, 2017 at 12:40 PM (#5553160)
#1851, is that some tumblr musings? Christ.

The only difference between a live 30 year old male and a dead 30 year old male can be a couple drops of ricin.

well, we know who knocks around here.
   1874. Satan Says Posted: October 13, 2017 at 12:41 PM (#5553161)
BB -- thanks for the response. I'm very interested in particulars over the abstractions, the personal before the political.

For me, things are definitely changing in my '50's. I've still got the same drives, but to make my relationship work, I've had to back off the gas a bit, observe, and listen. I had to make sex secondary and attend to her (non-sexual) needs first. I had to rest and be secure in not being explicitly male to get where we're going. We've always had that connection, but it doesn't go in and out as much....

Still pretty abstract, but if she were a he...
I don't know.
   1875. PepTech Posted: October 13, 2017 at 12:46 PM (#5553164)
Seth Meyers this week:
The sickening parallels between producer Harvey Weinstein and President Donald Trump are hard to miss.

Both are powerful sexual predators who seem to think that when you’re a star you can do anything, and both have been proven somewhat right up until lately, having gotten away with their behavior due to their wealth and power for far too long. Both have perverse ways of justifying their revolting conduct, be it “locker room talk” or “being a dinosaur.”
It’s everywhere, including on both sides of the political aisle, and Meyers is disgusted by the attempts of right-wing pundits to score political points off Weinstein’s behavior simply because he is a Democrat.

“This should not be a partisan issue,” Meyers stressed. “It requires all of us to speak out and ask ourselves what we can do to address it,” and not just when it implicates to someone on the other side of the political aisle.
“You wanna argue that Harvey Weinstein is just as bad as Donald Trump? Fine. Harvey Weinstein was, after far too long, found out and fired. Donald Trump has been found out for a year and we’re still waiting.”
   1876. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: October 13, 2017 at 12:47 PM (#5553166)

The second of the men is Secretary of Energy Rick Perry. In a fractious age, in a polarized country, Perry has pulled off a rare feat: He has proposed an emergency policy that just about everyone hates—except, that is, for the coal and nuclear industry.

On Thursday, Perry sat before the House Energy and Commerce Committee and defended his “grid reliability” plan, which his department is trying to hustle through the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, or FERC, in the next 60 days. FERC creates the rules that govern some of the nation’s power grid.

Perry’s proposed rule would pay coal and nuclear plants to remain on the electrical grid in the name of resilience, financially rewarding them for keeping three-month supplies of fuel on premises.

Experts say it would virtually assure that coal and nuclear plants—nearly all of which have been squeezed by the availability of cheaper natural gas and solar and wind power—remain profitable. It could also create a brief boom in the coal market, as plants snap up three months of fuel.

To build support for the rule, Perry has cited the polar vortex of 2014, when frigid weather descended across much of the continental United States. Though the power grid stayed intact through that episode, the largest grid operators saw roughly 20 percent of their power plants shut down. Natural gas plants, in particular, suffered in the weather, but some coal stacks froze as well.

Some experts also worry that as solar and wind power play a larger role in the electricity mix, power generation will become more unreliable, as the sun doesn’t shine and the wind doesn’t blow all the time. (Many technology companies are working on large batteries that could solve this problem.) Combined with the historical anecdote that natural-gas plants sometimes shut down in the cold, Perry says the grid is suffering a “reliability crisis.”

Some economists have worried that the proposed rule could spike rates for electricity customers. The energy consulting firm ICF has estimated it will cost power customers $800 million to $3.8 billion every year through 2030. Asked about those concerns Wednesday, Perry replied: “I think you take costs into account, but what’s the cost of freedom? What’s the cost to keep America free? I’m not sure I want to leave that up to the free market.”

The Atlantic

Rick Perry: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Privatized Profits and Socialized Losses ...
   1877. Morty Causa Posted: October 13, 2017 at 01:00 PM (#5553172)
For me, things are definitely changing in my '50's. I've still got the same drives, but to make my relationship work, I've had to back off the gas a bit, observe, and listen. I had to make sex secondary and attend to her (non-sexual) needs first. I had to rest and be secure in not being explicitly male to get where we're going. We've always had that connection, but it doesn't go in and out as much....

New Yorker cartoon
   1878. There are no words... (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: October 13, 2017 at 01:00 PM (#5553173)
“I think you take costs into account, but what’s the cost of freedom? What’s the cost to keep America free? I’m not sure I want to leave that up to the free market.”

Find the cost of freedom
Buried in the ground
Mother Earth will swallow you
Lay your body down...

1879. Lassus Posted: October 13, 2017 at 01:06 PM (#5553178)
If the cost of freedom is never hearing that song again, I'll gladly pay.
   1880. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: October 13, 2017 at 01:12 PM (#5553180)

President Donald Trump will oppose any congressional attempts to reinstate funding for Obamacare subsidies — unless he gets something in return, his budget director Mick Mulvaney said in an interview Friday morning.

The comments by the Office of Management and Budget chief delivered a severe blow to efforts by Sens. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) and Patty Murray (D-Wash.) to strike a bipartisan deal on funding the subsidies. Trump canceled those payments to insurance companies on Thursday night, raising hopes among some Democrats and centrist Republicans that the Trump administration could accept a bill that would revive the subsides while offering states more flexibility to opt out of Obamacare.

But Mulvaney panned those efforts, calling the so-called cost-sharing reduction payments “corporate welfare and bailouts for the insurance companies.”

“Instead of saying what we might support, I’d say I’m pretty sure what we won’t support, which is just a clean Murray-Alexander bill,” Mulvaney said, sitting in his spacious Eisenhower Executive Office Building Friday morning.

“The president has said pretty clearly that he’s willing to talk to just about anybody about repealing and replacing [Obamacare],” Mulvaney continued. “But if the straight-up question is: Is the president interested in continuing what he sees as corporate welfare and bailouts for the insurance companies? No.”

Politico

What's the cost of freedom?

What's the cost to keep America free?
   1881. The Good Face Posted: October 13, 2017 at 01:14 PM (#5553181)
Freedom isn't free
No, there's a hefty fuckin' fee
And if you don't throw in your buck 'o five
Who will?

1882. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: October 13, 2017 at 01:14 PM (#5553182)
If the cost of freedom is never hearing that song again, I'll gladly pay.

I believe Ray has currently set the bidding for never hearing a particular song again at "joining ISIS".

I'm afraid you'll have to do better ...
   1883. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: October 13, 2017 at 01:17 PM (#5553183)
“The president has said pretty clearly that he’s willing to talk to just about anybody about repealing and replacing [Obamacare],” Mulvaney continued. “But if the straight-up question is: Is the president interested in continuing what he sees as corporate welfare and bailouts for the insurance companies? No.”

In the absence of this corporate welfare and bailout, what should consumers expect to happen to their insurance premiums?
   1884. PepTech Posted: October 13, 2017 at 01:18 PM (#5553184)
I believe Ray has currently set the bidding for never hearing a particular song again at "joining ISIS".
Stop lying. It was SBB.
   1885. zenbitz Posted: October 13, 2017 at 01:22 PM (#5553185)
Trying to hold back the genetic engineered athlete: No CRISPr in Sports

A WADA spokesperson tells New Scientist that individuals who undergo gene editing for medical reasons may be allowed to compete in sportsdepending on whether that treatment returns them to what's considered normal or provides them with an edge. The agency did not respond to New Scientist's query about whether it would be able to actually catch individuals who cheat via gene editingHoweverit notes that the biological passports the agency introduced a few years ago to track biomarkers of doping might be able to detect changes stemming from genetic alterations
   1886. Lassus Posted: October 13, 2017 at 01:25 PM (#5553190)
That's some prime work there, zenbitz.
   1887. madvillain Posted: October 13, 2017 at 01:26 PM (#5553191)
Some economists have worried that the proposed rule could spike rates for electricity customers. The energy consulting firm ICF has estimated it will cost power customers $800 million to $3.8 billion every year through 2030. Asked about those concerns Wednesday, Perry replied: “I think you take costs into account, but what’s the cost of freedom? What’s the cost to keep America free? I’m not sure I want to leave that up to the free market.”

Trump is clearly addled by dementia (he's not the same guy he was even on the Apprentice a decade ago) but Perry is just properly stupid. I believe what he's trying to say is that a reliable electricity grid is something we should subsidize, except he's passing the costs onto the consumer instead of the government or (god forbid) the coal industry. I'm not sure how accurate that line on nuclear plant operating costs verse solar and wind is. Most of the cost of nuclear power is building the plants (and waste disposal), and the US hasn't built a new nuclear plant in almost 30 years. The fuel itself is ridiculously cheap on a cost per megawatt basis. Regardless, if you're going to pick one baseload power (and yes, we do need baseload power for the foreseeable future, battery tech isn't even close in this regard) pick nuclear and natural gas, not goal.

This is a pretty fascinating chart. Why has the operating cost of nuclear plants gone up nearly 40% in the last decade? I have no idea. But my dad was a reactor operator than project manager for the decommission at the plant he worked at (Big Rock!) and one of his frequent laments was the sheer amount of regulations surrounding the industry, especially wrt to the amount of staff they had to have on hand at all times. My dad was a moderate Democrat (certainly not a progressive) and thought that the Union and the Government had basically conspired to create all the "work" (he would always complain that most of the union guys were just "sitting around") post Three Mile Island. A lot of this was just maintenance workers, like your pipe-fitters and such, getting paid to lolly gag on the off chance something incredibly catastrophic happened and they couldn't be bothered to drive the 10 minutes to the plant and had to be actually sitting in the maintenance barn area.

This is all just anecdotal, wish my pops was still around I'd love to have some conversations about him wrt to the current stat of the nuclear power industry.

edit that #### dude,quickly.
   1888. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: October 13, 2017 at 01:27 PM (#5553192)
Stop lying. It was SBB.

Checks.

So it was. My bad.

FIX THE PAGE, ZENBITZ!
   1889. Satan Says Posted: October 13, 2017 at 01:30 PM (#5553195)
I like it, actually.

Make your replies short and sweet.
   1890. BDC Posted: October 13, 2017 at 01:30 PM (#5553197)
Too wide; didn't read
   1891. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 13, 2017 at 01:32 PM (#5553199)
Page broke.
   1892. BrianBrianson Posted: October 13, 2017 at 01:36 PM (#5553201)
Oui, mais c'est pas un problème, eh?
   1893. Traderdave Posted: October 13, 2017 at 01:38 PM (#5553202)
Bump the break
   1894. Traderdave Posted: October 13, 2017 at 01:39 PM (#5553203)
Bump the break
   1895. Traderdave Posted: October 13, 2017 at 01:39 PM (#5553204)
bump the break
   1896. Traderdave Posted: October 13, 2017 at 01:39 PM (#5553205)
bump the break
   1897. Traderdave Posted: October 13, 2017 at 01:39 PM (#5553207)
Bump the break
   1898. Traderdave Posted: October 13, 2017 at 01:40 PM (#5553208)
Bump the break
   1899. Traderdave Posted: October 13, 2017 at 01:40 PM (#5553209)
Bump the break
   1900. Traderdave Posted: October 13, 2017 at 01:40 PM (#5553210)
Bump the break
Page 19 of 22 pages ‹ First  < 17 18 19 20 21 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
dirk
for his generous support.