Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, April 03, 2014

OTP April 2014: BurstNET Sued for Not Making Equipment Lease Payments

Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: April 03, 2014 at 01:59 PM | 4718 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: 7 million aca signees and counting, i-95 south, nc, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 43 of 48 pages ‹ First  < 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 > 
   4201. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: May 01, 2014 at 01:49 PM (#4698297)
Putin demanding that Ukraininan troops leave their own territory isn't the news. Here's the news (NYT):

Details of the conversation between Mr. Putin and Ms. Merkel emerged shortly after Russian news agencies reported the start of what were described as training maneuvers by a newly formed Russian attack helicopter unit near the Baltic states of Estonia and Latvia. ...

In Moscow, the state-run news agency RIA Novosti quoted Col. Oleg Kochetkov, a spokesman for Russia’s Western Military District, as saying that dozens of attack helicopters — identified as the Mi-28N Night Hunter and the Ka-52 Alligator — supported by military transport helicopters “have begun regular training flights in the skies over northwestern Russia.”

The report referred to NATO’s “ramping up its military presence in the region,” and said, “Media in the former Soviet Baltic states, as well as Germany, Poland and the United Kingdom, have expressed security concerns about Russia’s decision to station the 15th brigade near NATO’s borders.”
   4202. bunyon Posted: May 01, 2014 at 01:51 PM (#4698298)
That is to say (continuing my thought in 4200) that I'd rather watch a tightly contested D-1 NCAA women's basketball game than a men's game that is a mismatch. Great, guys can run and jump really fast and far. Wonderful. If you want to see pure athleticism, go watch track and field. To me the interesting thing about team sports is the interaction of individuals and strategy. It helps to have athleticism mixed in but isn't necessary.
   4203. Lassus Posted: May 01, 2014 at 01:53 PM (#4698299)
You still have 10 minutes to close that tag, SBB.
   4204. Ron J2 Posted: May 01, 2014 at 02:13 PM (#4698313)
#4195 As mentioned, the same kind of thing happens in bridge. Women win at every level but the very top. Rose Meltzer has won the Bermuda Bowl (open teams championship), but as a sponsor on a very strong team (playing the absolute minimum to qualify for a medal with a pro partner -- Kyle Larsen).

Nobody thinks she's a world class player (any more than they think Malcolm Brachman -- the first sponsor to win the Bermuda Bowl was). Basically a strong enough team can carry a sponsor with reasonable frequency and she had 2 pairs that would be ranked among the best in the world seeing the bulk of the action.

4205. Morty Causa Posted: May 01, 2014 at 02:18 PM (#4698316)
If you interpret the words "whatever level they can" correctly -- that is, "the highest they're personally capable of", rather than "any level below their demonstrated ability" -- then sure.

So, then, since white basketball players are inferior to black basketball players, under the conditions in which the game is currently played, can there be a league for white players only?
   4206. Ron J2 Posted: May 01, 2014 at 02:19 PM (#4698317)
#4199 Upper body strength can matter. Women simply can't throw as hard as the top males, nor can they sweep as effectively.

Of course there's more to life than the ability to throw the high hard one. Glen Howard can't throw the super weight shots either (though I don't think there's a woman in the game who can throw as hard as he can) and he's one of the game's greats. Likewise Ed Werenich could never throw huge weight.

4207. Misirlou's been working for the drug squad Posted: May 01, 2014 at 02:25 PM (#4698320)
#4199 Upper body strength can matter. Women simply can't throw as hard as the top males, nor can they sweep as effectively.

OK, sweeping I can buy, but how hard does one need to throw the stone anyway?
   4208. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: May 01, 2014 at 02:29 PM (#4698321)
So, then, since white basketball players are inferior to black basketball players, under the conditions in which the game is currently played, can there be a league for white players only?

Although I can't think of any principled objection to a white-only basketball league, the market pretty clearly wouldn't support it. No white guy good enough to play in the integrated NBA would play in it.
   4209. Joe Kehoskie Posted: May 01, 2014 at 02:30 PM (#4698322)
But that's not the usual way we think about sports, and it sort of begs the question of everybody's rankings, the top men included, doesn't it? Let's take golf, since there's more direct data, and strength in the form of driving distance is still very important. Annika Sorenstam once finished 96th after two days at Colonial, a reasonably strong PGA Tour event, from the men's championship tees, obviously. She played those first two rounds at +5. That is a pretty high level of play for a golfer of either sex. If all the men in the world played golf, could a million of them shoot four-over or better for the first two days of a strong PGA Tour event? Well, maybe: that's billions of men. But the fact is that golf offers huge rewards, and many men who are really, really good at it try with complete dedication to reach that level, and almost all of them fail.

True, but Sorenstam failed as well, at least in terms of the usual qualifying route to PGA tournaments. I don't follow golf at all, but as I recall, she played after accepting a sponsor exemption. There are probably tens of thousands of men who couldn't get past Q-School but could shoot +5 in a one-off appearance at a PGA event. That Sorenstam shot +5 doesn't tell us anything about the rankings, any more than one game tells us anything about any random MLB player.
   4210. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: May 01, 2014 at 02:31 PM (#4698323)
Wasn't there a short-lived (if it even got off the ground ... no pun intended) league restricted players 6'4 or below, or something similar?

Edit: Yep. I pretty much remembered it by name, to my sort-of shame.
   4211. BDC Posted: May 01, 2014 at 02:35 PM (#4698325)
I'd rather watch a tightly contested D-1 NCAA women's basketball game than a men's game that is a mismatch

Absolutely. Baseball and softball are different sports, and very different run environments, but for that very reason you see some extraordinary individual pitching feats and duels in softball, while on the next field over the men may be whacking the ball around in some 7-1 baseball game that isn't nearly as interesting. The fact that everybody in the baseball game is bigger and stronger and faster becomes irrelevant to enjoying the event.
   4212. Mefisto Posted: May 01, 2014 at 02:36 PM (#4698326)

No.

And how would that work in practice? he very best boys make the boys varsity team, and the next best make the girls varsity team?

I'm implicitly assuming that there's an infinite number of teams available, such that every player would find his or her own level. If the teams are restricted in number, then a different rule would have to apply.
   4213. Ron J2 Posted: May 01, 2014 at 02:37 PM (#4698327)
Incidentally according to Bill Simmons' article on Sterling:

a) Sterling supposedly asked Stiviano to record him (supposedly because he didn't trust his memory)
b) There are supposedly more than 300 hours of recording out there. And it's supposedly going to get worse.

Yeah. Lots of Supposedly, etc. We'll see.
   4214. Ray (RDP) Posted: May 01, 2014 at 02:38 PM (#4698328)

I would think that things like hand-eye coordination would matter as well. Reflexes. So not just strength and speed.

I play a lot of tennis at the 3.5 level. The guys are not only stronger with better serves and stronger/more accurate groundstrokes, but they have better reflexes. And they have more court coverage and can not only get to a difficult ball (such as a lob in the back corner), but can do more with it when they get back there. Women can't do anything back there with a ball that bounces high. They can't jump over a dime.
   4215. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 01, 2014 at 02:45 PM (#4698333)

Actually I think Larry "Grandmama" Johnson was calling for an all-black basketball league this week.
   4216. Ron J2 Posted: May 01, 2014 at 02:47 PM (#4698334)
#4214 Reflexes don't seem to matter that much in curling. Top players can stay at or near the top into their late 40s/early 50s. Though the front end -- the guys that do most of the sweeping -- don't tend to last nearly as long.

Kevin Martin (on the short list for GOAT) has retired at 47 not because he wasn't competitive -- he won his last event -- but because he was tired of the lifestyle.
   4217. Rob_Wood Posted: May 01, 2014 at 02:51 PM (#4698336)
I always thought that the most level playing field between the sexes was long-distance swimming or long-distance running. Is this still true?
   4218. BDC Posted: May 01, 2014 at 02:55 PM (#4698338)
There are probably tens of thousands of men who couldn't get past Q-School but could shoot +5 in a one-off appearance at a PGA event. That Sorenstam shot +5 doesn't tell us anything about the rankings, any more than one game tells us anything about any random MLB player

That's a reasonable objection, Joe. It is the smallest of sample sizes. But Sorenstam was a professional with a highly consistent record of success; it's unlikely that those were the rounds of her life.

As to shooting +5 over two rounds at a PGA Tour event – sure, it could happen. The odds are pretty long, though. The best score by a club pro at the PGA Championship each year tends to be about +5 for the first two rounds, missing the cut. The median two-round total is more like +12 or +15, and virtually all the club pros finish behind all the invited tour champions. That's on a course set up for a major championship, for sure, the most difficult level of play and competition, but the results are pretty consistent year-in year-out; guys lucking into good rounds out of nowhere are very few and far between – plus these are the absolute cream of the club pros of a given year, on their best game – not the "tens of thousands" but the elite. For those reasons, Sorenstam's achievement is pretty solid, and doesn't suggest that she just showed up and played over her head for two days: though we can't completely rule that out, as you note.
   4219. Ray (RDP) Posted: May 01, 2014 at 02:56 PM (#4698340)
I know that in amateur softball the women who can hit (for a girl; and most of these women played in college so they're not slouches) (a) only have line drive power, and (b) said line drive power is basically down the 3B line or maybe to left field. They can't hit with any sort of power to the opposite field - if they can even go there at all. You will see a million semi-"deep" drives well foul down the 3B line and people will be wowed by such a "display" but they can't straighten that out to hit the ball with the same authority fair, and in the rare occasions when they do they pretty much never hit it over a fielder's head -- and these are outfielders who have been drawn way in (*) for a girl.

Meanwhile even the guys who are sort of there as fill-ins who haven't played much can bomb the ball over an outfielder's head.

(*) When league rules allow, which usually they do.

Sometimes you get a good college female player who can play a key position in the infield and has some arm strength -- but even the girls who played in college are never all that close to the best players on the field, despite the fact that a lot of the guys are not serious and just showing up for fun and didn't really play much beyond little league or they topped out in high school. The best female players are above average for the league.
   4220. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 01, 2014 at 03:00 PM (#4698341)
I'll only speak to the one non-speed / strength sport that I really know: Pool.
Well, not "sport," per se.
   4221. Morty Causa Posted: May 01, 2014 at 03:10 PM (#4698345)
   4222. Eric L Posted: May 01, 2014 at 03:12 PM (#4698346)

Long distance swimming, (English Channel e.g.) it is absolutely true.

Long distance running, Not true. At distances over 100 miles, it is close enough that a superelite female can win a fair number of races,(Ann Trason) but the world records for men are substantially better.
   4223. Morty Causa Posted: May 01, 2014 at 03:15 PM (#4698347)
I really doubt that the only things biology has geared differently between males and females is strength and speed. For most people and host of considerations, but, remember, it is all about relative tendencies.
   4224. Greg K Posted: May 01, 2014 at 03:16 PM (#4698348)
As far as Olympic sports, I see curling as fitting into the same mold, but I've never played and would be happy to consider any theories to the contrary.

I mentioned something along these lines a while ago, and it was pointed out that sweeping is vastly different between genders (as was evident at the Olympics this year as the Canadian men where just insane sweepers, which was a huge influence on how they played).
   4225. Random Transaction Generator Posted: May 01, 2014 at 03:18 PM (#4698350)
Chess and Bridge were already mentioned. Pool is one I thought of, as well as darts. I don't see why women are at any genetic disadvantage in those. As far as Olympic sports, I see curling as fitting into the same mold, but I've never played and would be happy to consider any theories to the contrary.

Bowling is another sport that would seem to be a case where women should be just as competitive as men...and a woman did win an open championship against men on the professional tour.

Edit: It was a "major" tournament on the tour.
   4226. Greg K Posted: May 01, 2014 at 03:20 PM (#4698352)
If you interpret the words "whatever level they can" correctly -- that is, "the highest they're personally capable of", rather than "any level below their demonstrated ability" -- then sure.

I took this to mean, everyone plays at the top of their ability. In other words, something like a never-ending promotion/demotion system, except with players moving up and down, not teams. Theoretically the lower you go the more women would be represented. He's just saying that men and women (or boys and girls) can play with each other at any given level, but if a guy is absolutely decimating the women he's playing with, he should be moved up to a higher level. Obviously, the same goes from a woman destroying her current competition, though that is less relevant to the point.
   4227. Greg K Posted: May 01, 2014 at 03:23 PM (#4698354)
I know that in amateur softball the women who can hit (for a girl; and most of these women played in college so they're not slouches) (a) only have line drive power, and (b) said line drive power is basically down the 3B line or maybe to left field. They can't hit with any sort of power to the opposite field - if they can even go there at all. You will see a million semi-"deep" drives well foul down the 3B line and people will be wowed by such a "display" but they can't straighten that out to hit the ball with the same authority fair, and in the rare occasions when they do they pretty much never hit it over a fielder's head -- and these are outfielders who have been drawn way in (*) for a girl.

This sounds disturbingly like my hitting style.
   4228. Ray (RDP) Posted: May 01, 2014 at 03:36 PM (#4698364)
This sounds disturbingly like my hitting style.

Hmm. Does your gender identity match your sex? Maybe you need a new gender identity. Or a new sex. Your assignment could be off.
   4229. Bitter Mouse Posted: May 01, 2014 at 03:38 PM (#4698368)
Not to step on sports talk, but how about the latest administration news of the failures of ACA?

In a conference call with reporters on Thursday, Secretary Sebelius confirmed that Health and Human Services has crunched the numbers on Obamacare enrollment and confirmed that more than 8 million people have indeed obtained private coverage on the exchanges. That includes 5.4 million on the federal exchanges and 2.6 million on the separate state exchanges. In addition to that, more than 3 million young adults have been added to their family plans, with 4.8 additional enrollments in Medicaid and CHIP programs. In this 8 million, 2.2 million—or 28 percent—are between the ages of 18 and 34.

4230. Mefisto Posted: May 01, 2014 at 03:40 PM (#4698371)
@4226: Exactly.
   4231. Greg K Posted: May 01, 2014 at 03:42 PM (#4698372)
Hmm. Does your gender identity match your sex? Maybe you need a new gender identity. Or a new sex. Your assignment could be off.

I did have a girlfriend who was always annoyed with my standard "at ease" pose, which she claimed took the posture of pregnant woman.

Things are starting to make sense.
   4232. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 01, 2014 at 03:42 PM (#4698374)
Setting aside that this fact still confuses the number of people who filled out the form with the number of people who actually paid, that factoid seems more about the failure of the website than about the failure of the ACA.
   4233. zenbitz Posted: May 01, 2014 at 03:43 PM (#4698375)
I think is sports like Pool or Archery or Bridge or Poker or Magic: The Gathering (perhaps not Chess) there is still a pretty big selection bias going on.
In Andy's example - the best women are better than all but the very very best men. But the pools aren't the same effective size.

The point about Gay women in athletics seems ... I dunno .. stereotypical. But I would not be shocked if there was a real biological basis for that. Not that I am jumping to write a grant... [See also: Autism spectrum and "Maleness" of the brain vs. Schizophrenia and "Femaleness"]

Also I just wanted to bridge two threads into a double-strength bore. At least I think (hope) Sterling/NBA has run it's course here.

My best bet is that "Banned for Life" is going to have to do.
   4234. Joe Kehoskie Posted: May 01, 2014 at 03:53 PM (#4698380)
Setting aside that this fact still confuses the number of people who filled out the form with the number of people who actually paid, that factoid seems more about the failure of the website than about the failure of the ACA.

And even taking their numbers at face value, there's barely a 1:1 ratio between people who might be paying for their insurance (or "insurance") and those who were enrolled in a welfare program. Only in liberal la-la land could that be viewed as a victory of any sort.
   4235. Bitter Mouse Posted: May 01, 2014 at 04:11 PM (#4698390)
And even taking their numbers at face value, there's barely a 1:1 ratio between people who might be paying for their insurance (or "insurance") and those who were enrolled in a welfare program. Only in liberal la-la land could that be viewed as a victory of any sort.

From industry execs it sounds like close 90% of enrollees will pay, but we shall see. And the function of the exercise was to get Health Insurance to people. Adding people to the "welfare program" is not a problem. The fact there are people that need the safety net is a problem. the fact many states are refusing free money to help people is a problem.
   4236. Joe Kehoskie Posted: May 01, 2014 at 04:18 PM (#4698394)
And the function of the exercise was to get Health Insurance to people.

No, the function of the exercise was to redistribute wealth by forcing mostly younger, healthier people to pay for the health care of other people, as you all but admitted in your very next sentence, when you said, "Adding people to the 'welfare program' is not a problem."

As for this ...

the fact many states are refusing free money to help people is a problem.

"Free money"? Really? Only in liberal la-la land is there such a thing as "free money."
   4237. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: May 01, 2014 at 04:27 PM (#4698400)
It should be borne in mind that virtually every competitive sport was designed by men, for men, and played by men for decades (or more), tweaking the rules as they go. As such, it is rather unlikely that there would be a sport where women are more suited to play then men, apart from some random chance (horse racing?).

In the few sports that seem designed for women (such as women's gymnastics events), I suspect women would dominate men as much as men do in the sports designed for men (could a man win an Olympic gold in the balance beam??)

4238. Ron J2 Posted: May 01, 2014 at 04:30 PM (#4698401)
#4233 Not happening in bridge. There are more female players at every level with the exception of (open) world class.

Nobody really understands why (though of course there are plenty of theories) but there hasn't been a world class female player since Helen Sobel (frequent partner of Charles Goren and generally regarded as the better player)

OK, you can argue for Dorothy Hayden, but she was only world class when playing with B. J. Becker, and a fair number of players were far more successful playing with Becker than anybody else. And in any case that was 50 years ago.
   4239. Bitter Mouse Posted: May 01, 2014 at 04:33 PM (#4698404)
"Free money"? Really? Only in liberal la-la land is there such a thing as "free money."

From the states perspective it is free money. They are all paying into the Federal government and then not taking the money the feds want to give back to them. It is their right, but if they took the money their state would be better off and people would have more health care.

As to your opinions on the "function of the exercise" it is to provide health insurance (and thus access to health care) to people. And millions more are getting that access. The fact that Democrats want to pay for their government programs, want them to work and have provided a mechanism to do just that is a feature not a bug.

About 16 million people (minus those that don't pay). That's a fair number of people.
   4240. Ron J2 Posted: May 01, 2014 at 04:35 PM (#4698405)
#4237 Interesting point. Ringette is an example of a sport designed for and played almost exclusively by girls. It's designed as a no contact sport which would serve to eliminate a good chunk of the male advantage.
   4241. CrosbyBird Posted: May 01, 2014 at 04:45 PM (#4698412)
And so we have CrosbyBird (and whoever else) saying "I respect people's self-identification, but not your's Brian, because you're wrong in asserting that you experience gender as applied to you by other people - in fact, it springs with your identity. You just don't know what your identity is." And I'm hardly the only person in this conversation saying gender is how others treat you, not anything integral to their identity.

I absolutely respect your self-identification as "non-gendered" if that's really how you view and present yourself. Hell, if you view yourself as non-gendered and present as male, but tell me that you just do that to "pass" easily without actually feeling your maleness, then I'll respect that too.

If you dress like a man, and walk like a man, and talk like a man, then you're presenting as male-gendered. If you tell me that yes, you've actually considered it, and don't really feel a sense of maleness outside of your private parts, then I will respect that. If you just have never bothered to think about it, then I'm not sure that you don't have an actual male identity as opposed to thinking you have no gender at all. (I never thought about it consciously until I learned about what gender was, at which point it became obvious to me that I was male-gendered.)

The place where I disagree with you is that, at least as an adult, the way others treat me is irrelevant to me. If the rest of the world starts treating me as if I am female, my gender will not change. I am male, and maleness feels right in my skin, and female will never feel right in my skin. At least not in this culture. I suppose there might be a culture where the thousands of tiny factors that make up my personality are more aligned with a female identity, but not one I know of on this planet.

EDIT: But if you're going to say that you're non-gendered while manifesting a presentation and social identity as male, with a male name, either you're not being truly honest or you're doing a lot of work to pretend to be something you're not.
   4242. Greg K Posted: May 01, 2014 at 04:49 PM (#4698415)
#4237 Interesting point. Ringette is an example of a sport designed for and played almost exclusively by girls. It's designed as a no contact sport which would serve to eliminate a good chunk of the male advantage.

I was going to look up "Borden Ball" as a woman's sport as well as I remember my middle school having a girl's team, but boys didn't play it competitively, just in gym class. As far as I can tell though, it's just a Canadian name for handball.

Maybe the boys at my school just really sucked at it so we didn't have a team.
   4243. CrosbyBird Posted: May 01, 2014 at 04:51 PM (#4698417)
If other people find me knitting and baking and practicing my ringette skills, they're likely to give me a hard time. That's how I experience gender, and (certainly based on their statements here) how a lot of other people here experience it.

One of the greatest advantages of being cisgender is that, since your identity is matched to your external appearance, you have the luxury of generally ignoring it. Being the default is, at least in one aspect, a pretty easy existence.
   4244. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: May 01, 2014 at 04:56 PM (#4698418)
I'll only speak to the one non-speed / strength sport that I really know: Pool.

Well, not "sport," per se.

If your definition of "sport" mandates speed or strength, that's true. But if it involves a one-on-one competition involving precise physical motions, precise hand-eye coordination, and a fair amount of physical stamina on the professional level, then pool is definitely a sport. But those are just two definitions.

The dictionary definition says sport encompasses "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment." By that standard, many "sports" might not qualify. How much physical "exertion" is there in golf or bowling? How much skill is there in running 100 yards in a straight line? Talent, yes. Muscle development, sure. But skill?

AFAIC the purest "sport" has got to be ice hockey, since it requires speed, strength, agility, skating ability, tremendous reflexes, stamina, hand-eye coordination, perfect vision, and God knows what else. There's no other sport that comes close to having that many requirements. Certainly not "no hands allowed" soccer, or "no skating" basketball, or "no continuous play" quarterbacking in American football, or the highly specialized skills of baseball. You can say that certain specific skill sets required of those other sports are greater than any one skill set required in hockey, but put it all together and they all fall way short.

4245. McCoy Posted: May 01, 2014 at 04:58 PM (#4698420)
Long distance running, Not true. At distances over 100 miles, it is close enough that a superelite female can win a fair number of races,(Ann Trason) but the world records for men are substantially better.

Last September we had a conversation about ultramarathons. Here is some excerpts I had about the fact that a female won a race.

"I think that has more to do with it being the first run they have ever run than because women hold their own against men. Every single race I looked at that has been held for awhile and is popular has the top men coming in well ahead of the top women. I'll also say that it appears to me that the sport is in its expansion transition phase. Looks like in the last 10 years it has grown in popularity and many more people are competing. Consequently records are falling fast and getting destroyed by a good margin constantly. Which shows me that more serious runners are devoting themselves to the sport. At this point in time it looks like the best 5 to 7 men are faster than the best female with the top 3 or so females being able to fall within the top 25 overall. I'm sure as the sport grows and becomes more organized and taken more seriously women will fall further and further back.

There is absolutely no reason to think that women are somehow more able to handle a multi-day long distance race than men when men are clearly better at all aspects of that kind of race. Men are faster, men can recover quicker, and men can endure more.

There is a ultramarathon website that lists a ton of races all over the country and world. The websites for these races are extremely amatuerish in quality and a good deal of them are for inaugural races or for races that have only been twice or so. Participation is generally around 100 to 150 runners with almost all of the runners generally being middle aged (mid 30's to mid 40's).

In terms of my own experience at small events like this what you'll occasionally get is some hardcore gym showing up to the race and just blowing everyone else out of the water regardless of gender. That is usually because it will be a bunch of young military or just coming out of the military crossfit nuts going up against a bunch of 35 to 45 year olds who have been doing crossfit for 5 to 10 hours a week for a couple of years.

As for the Indiana trail run the obvious caveat before I continue is that every course is different but the woman with the winning time had a time significantly slower than the top 5 male finishers in almost (might very well have been all of them) every single 100 mile race I looked at which was about 15 or so spread out across the country and in Europe. The top men are usually falling in the 15 to 17 hour mark and I found very few runners being 20 to 25. For instance in one race I believe the top finisher was a 42 year old man who finished about 2 hours ahead of the top female finisher who finished 5th and was 31 years old.

In the how far can you go in 24/48/72 hour time limit races the top men are finishing dozens and dozens of miles ahead of the top females. In a 72 hour race the top finisher, who again was middle aged, racked up 75 more miles than the top female competitor.

I think the Olympics gives us a clearer picture of the state of marathon running on this planet.

The fastest female time was good enough to finish 64th if she was running in the Men's marathon. The top 15 women in the world had times that would have placed them between 64th and 100th in the Olympics. The NY women's marathon best times were similar to the Olympics and the best female NY marathon would have placed 64th in the Olympics as well. In the NYM women's times dropped off rapidly after the top 3 finishes.

The Badwater Ultramarathon which is a 135 mile race from America's lowest to highest point on the map which contains crossing two mountains has a mens course record that is 3.5 hours faster than the female course record. If you look at the times based on age groups there is no female time at age group that comes close to the similar age group in the male category. In fact the record time for men age 50-59 is faster than anytime put up by any female from 2000 to 2012.

In Hawaii they have the 100 mile HURT Ultramarathon. A 36 year old finished 10 minutes shy of 6 hours faster than the fastest female who was 26. You climb 25,000 feet and descend 25,000 feet.

The Wasatch Front 100 has one of the most extreme descents in America ultramarathoning and a man routinely finishes about 4 to 5 hours faster than the fastest woman. I didn't look at all the years but it quite possible that a woman has only finished in the top 10 once or twice and none have finished in the top 5.

The Hardrock 100 had an even greater descent and the best man finished 4 hours ahead of the best female who finished 5th.

The Barkley 100 has you rise in elevation by almost 60,000 feet and has you descend by almost 60,000 feet. About 800 runners have attempted to run it and only 14 have ever done all 100 miles of it. No woman has ever finished the race. The best was a female runner that got through 66 miles of the race before calling it quits.

The Grindstone 100 is on the East Coast has a descent of over 23,000 feet. Last year they had over 150 runners with the best woman finishing 33rd, 10 hours behind the fastest man. A woman hasn't finished in the top 10 in 4 years.

As for marathon running I would not be surprised if there isn't a single woman out there that is better than any of the top 100 male marathon runners. If tens of thousands of kids took part in marathon training each year like they do for basketball and if colleges gave out thousands of scholarships for marathon running and if there was some pro league in which the top 500 or so runners could do well financially then I would also bet that women would not be able to crack the top 500 either.

Pam Reed won the Badwater Marathon in 2002 with a time just under 28 hours and the next year she finished at just over 28 hours. The next year a 41 year old man did it under 27.5 hours. This year a 39 year old man did it in just over 24.5 hours. A 50 year old man finished in 5th with a time of 26.25 hours. In fact only two people under the age of 30 finished the race with both of them being mid 20 year old females (1 man under 30 started the race but did not finish). In 2012 a 40 year old man ran the race in just under 23 hours. Basically it does not look like females have any special advantage in this type of race nor are the two sexes on equal footing in this kind of race. The fastest woman are doing the course in 28 to 30 hours while the fastest men are doing the race in 23 to 25 hours."
   4246. Greg K Posted: May 01, 2014 at 04:58 PM (#4698421)
As a follow up on Borden Ball:

From this 1941 Milwaukee Journal article "Borden Ball" was introduced to Canada by members of the Royal Canadian Air Force who played it at the drill hall in Camp Borden (presumably they picked it up while in Europe for the war?)

This website on sports history also references Borden Ball in its entry on Handball:

The history of Borden Ball, or handball, as it is more popularly known, shows that the sport developed from some important modifications made in those early years.

Perhaps this is a Canadian site? I kind of would have thought that due to its etymology "Borden Ball" would be a fairly obscure term.

I did like this excerpt from the article:
Interestingly, handball has never really taken off in America, which has shown a distinct lack of competitiveness against the European countries, despite the American predilection for catching balls, jumping and running, all things that they are usually successful at in sport.

Reminds me of an old encyclopedia I once saw that claimed Sikhs were an industrious people, capable of steering all manner of vehicles from carts to boats.
   4247. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: May 01, 2014 at 05:04 PM (#4698422)
Being the default is, at least in one aspect, a pretty easy existence.

This is, of course, the working definition of "privilege."
   4248. McCoy Posted: May 01, 2014 at 05:06 PM (#4698423)
It should be borne in mind that virtually every competitive sport was designed by men, for men, and played by men for decades (or more), tweaking the rules as they go. As such, it is rather unlikely that there would be a sport where women are more suited to play then men, apart from some random chance (horse racing?).

Running is a sport designed by men for men? What is uniquely male about it? What sport is uniquely female? And don't say ringette because virtually every part of that game a man would be better suited to do than a woman. There are some sports (like gymnastics) that basically pre-pubescent bodies are required or bodies that are as close to that as possible but almost all gymnastic events could be dominated by men if the sport had an open format. Almost all female sports are getting much much more physical/athletic as compared to 10 years ago, 20 years ago, 30 years ago. The women are aping the men as time goes on.
   4249. Greg K Posted: May 01, 2014 at 05:07 PM (#4698425)
I think that has more to do with it being the first run they have ever run than because women hold their own against men.

Interesting discussion, though I perhaps am going to take this on an unrelated tangent...

I often find with games I enjoy learning how to play the game, and experimenting with strategies much more than once I have discovered which ones I find most useful. I wonder how that would translate to sport. Coming up with new and interesting variations such that no one really knows going in what an effective strategy will be, and the athletes are just employing trial and error.

I guess I made that jump because (before reading the entirety of your post) I thought maybe it was going in the direction of the distances being relatively new, the runners weren't sure what kind of pacing strategy to use and so less talented runners were winning to due to sub-optimal strategy on the part of the better runners. Upon reading I get the impression that's not necessarily what's going on. But I think that might be fun - a sport where athletes are presented with obstacles or goals they have no experience in over-coming or achieving.

EDIT: One last (I promise) update on Borden Ball. Apparently it wasn't RCAF pilots picking up the sport while in Europe, but Axis prisoners of war in Canada that brought it in.
   4250. Joe Kehoskie Posted: May 01, 2014 at 05:07 PM (#4698426)

LOL.
   4251. McCoy Posted: May 01, 2014 at 05:25 PM (#4698433)
On a sidenote I'll be having a heart attack at Tough Mudder next month.
   4252. Lassus Posted: May 01, 2014 at 05:29 PM (#4698435)
LOL.

You are proof of the fact that it's plainly easier not to actually think about what people write.
   4253. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 01, 2014 at 05:32 PM (#4698439)
As to your opinions on the "function of the exercise" it is to provide health insurance (and thus access to health care) to people. And millions more are getting that access. The fact that Democrats want to pay for their government programs, want them to work and have provided a mechanism to do just that is a feature not a bug.
Health insurance is not remotely the same thing as "access to health care."
   4254. CrosbyBird Posted: May 01, 2014 at 05:32 PM (#4698440)
And, how many men couldn't beat the Williamses?

I'd say well over 99%. Venus Williams is 6'1" with a monster build and she can serve with accuracy at nearly 130 mph. Most men will have a size disadvantage, and I'd wager a strength disadvantage. Andy Roddick is only 6'2" for comparison.

I think she's at a level where you'd need to have professional-level talent to have a legitimate shot against her. Most of the disadvantages that women face in professional sports are size/strength, because women are generally significantly smaller and weaker than men, but Venus is a really special case.
   4255. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: May 01, 2014 at 05:35 PM (#4698441)
EDIT: But if you're going to say that you're non-gendered while manifesting a presentation and social identity as male, with a male name, either you're not being truly honest or you're doing a lot of work to pretend to be something you're not.

I'm wearing the quintessential office uniform today. Two-piece suit, button down shirt, boxer shorts, socks, shoes. Although likely in different sizes, literally every piece of clothing I'm wearing has been worn and modeled by females. Females wear wool two-piece suits, button down shirts, boxer shorts, socks just below the calves, and shoes like the ones I'm wearing.

The reason the world thinks I'm a male in these clothes is because my face makes that clear, even though I'm clean-shaven. They know that without me saying a word. I could comport myself, personality wise, in a "female" way, whatever the hell that means, and the world would still know I'm male.

Which is to say, yet again, that this enterprise remains the direct obverse of Don ("100% ballplayer, 0% bullsh!t") Mattingly.
   4256. Shredder Posted: May 01, 2014 at 05:35 PM (#4698442)
Who knows, if you're lucky, maybe you'll get clotheslined by an electrified wire first.
   4257. McCoy Posted: May 01, 2014 at 05:38 PM (#4698444)
Doubt it. That's the finish line. I'll be dead long before that.
   4258. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: May 01, 2014 at 05:38 PM (#4698445)
One of the greatest advantages of being cisgender is that, since your identity is matched to your external appearance, you have the luxury of generally ignoring it. Being the default is, at least in one aspect, a pretty easy existence.

Which explains the cakewalks all "cisgendered" people have in life. Every day's a paradise, they never get beat up or bullied, never commit suicide, never even suffer the indignity of eczema or heartbreak of psoriasis. Or even a zit.

LOL. Under this "working" definition, anyone free from any malady is "privileged." "Hey, you non-coulorophobics, admit you're privileged!!!"
   4259. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: May 01, 2014 at 05:41 PM (#4698446)
Which explains the cakewalks all "cisgendered" people have in life. Every day's a paradise, they never get beat up or bullied, never commit suicide, never even suffer the indignity of eczema or heartbreak of psoriasis.

You, being an idiot on the subject, can't seem to distinguish "better than others have, simply because your "normal" is the default setting of most of society" and "never having a problem or issue in your life." This requires a level of stupidity that can only be willful.
   4260. CrosbyBird Posted: May 01, 2014 at 05:42 PM (#4698447)
The gender strength and skill portion of this thread is a lot more entertaining if you narrate it to yourself silently in a Jamie Lannister voice, toss in the occasional "wench", and imagine Brienne of Tarth fuming...

It's like to be your corpse we carry out. The wench is as strong as Gregor Clegane, though not so pretty.
   4261. Greg K Posted: May 01, 2014 at 05:43 PM (#4698448)

Which explains the cakewalks all "cisgendered" people have in life. Every day's a paradise, they never get beat up or bullied, never commit suicide, never even suffer the indignity of eczema or heartbreak of psoriasis. Or even a zit.

You know you can disagree with someone without disingenuously mis-interpreting what they wrote. I get stressed out about a lot of things in my life, more than I should really. I'm glad that's one thing I don't need to stress over.
   4262. CrosbyBird Posted: May 01, 2014 at 05:44 PM (#4698450)
And how would that work in practice? he very best boys make the boys varsity team, and the next best make the girls varsity team?

I imagine a tiered system where there's an A-team, a B-team, etc.
   4263. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 01, 2014 at 05:46 PM (#4698451)
But the players weren't locked out in the NFL strike of 1987. How many players walked through those picket lines? About 15% of the union members did that, while 85% of them refused, leaving the owners with a patchwork of bush league players to fill their rosters for games with half-empty stands.

How is a strike or lockout over a collective bargaining agreement relevant to a possible work stoppage over Donald Sterling's forced sale of his team? The players, stars & scrubs, have an economic stake in the CBA. They're going to have to work under whatever is decided, affecting their salary & fringe benefits. Not so with Sterling. No one is getting a raise - or a pay cut, either - regardless of whether Sterling is forced out or not.

I'm guessing the NBA tries to get him to sell, but they might be as likely, in the end, to use the carrot as the stick. Perhaps a payment to offset the tax consequences of selling now rather than having the team eventually pass as part of Sterling's estate. They might even start with the tough approach, but what has been made public doesn't seem to actually give them the power to force a sale just because they disapprove of an owner's private views. Maybe the NBA thinks a judge would be reluctant to rule for Sterling given the climate of public opinion, but that shouldn't matter, and it's risking a lot for the league to think frenzied public opinion is all they need.
   4264. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: May 01, 2014 at 05:47 PM (#4698452)
You, being an idiot on the subject, can't seem to distinguish "better than others have, simply because your "normal" is the default setting of most of society" and "never having a problem or issue in your life." This requires a level of stupidity that can only be willful.

So the three-year-old "cisgender" kid who gets hit by a car and killed, or dies of cancer, has it better than all transgenders. Yeah, that makes sense.

4265. Lassus Posted: May 01, 2014 at 05:47 PM (#4698453)
Shameful modern liberal behavior:

Veteran gives up burial plot so lesbian couple can be buried together.

So the three-year-old kid who gets hit by a car and killed, or dies of cancer, has it better than all transgenders. Yeah, that makes sense.

When you make shit up, it probably is not going to make any sense, no.
   4266. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: May 01, 2014 at 05:50 PM (#4698455)
You know you can disagree with someone without disingenuously mis-interpreting what they wrote. I get stressed out about a lot of things in my life, more than I should really. I'm glad that's one thing I don't need to stress over.

There's nothing about being the so-called "default" that implies an easier life than the non-"default."(*) The "at least in one aspect" gets entirely swallowed up by other aspects of life.

(*) Which is the fundamental flaw in all the silly cliched nonsense about "privilege" spewed forth on these here boards.
   4267. Greg K Posted: May 01, 2014 at 05:50 PM (#4698456)
So the three-year-old "cisgender" kid who gets hit by a car and killed, or dies of cancer, has it better than all transgenders. Yeah, that makes sense.

I could be wrong but getting hit by a car and being killed may count as "a problem or issue in your life".
   4268. Greg K Posted: May 01, 2014 at 05:53 PM (#4698457)
There's nothing about being the so-called "default" that implies an easier life than the non-default.(*) The "at least in one aspect" gets entirely swallowed up by other aspects of life.

Right, it's one of the many things that can complicate a life.

I could be wrong but I think most people would agree with that.
   4269. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: May 01, 2014 at 05:53 PM (#4698458)
How is a strike or lockout over a collective bargaining agreement relevant to a possible work stoppage over Donald Sterling's forced sale of his team? The players, stars & scrubs, have an economic stake in the CBA. They're going to have to work under whatever is decided, affecting their salary & fringe benefits. Not so with Sterling. No one is getting a raise - or a pay cut, either - regardless of whether Sterling is forced out or not.

You're simply dismissing the possibility of a walk-out over any issue but money. I wouldn't be so sure about that in the right (or wrong) set of circumstances, as I've outlined above.
   4270. Lassus Posted: May 01, 2014 at 05:55 PM (#4698459)
McCoy, as a warning:
The CDC found Thursday that 22 racers who got sick after a 2012 Tough Mudder race had swallowed mud laced with cattle or swine feces and become infected with Campylobacter coli. This common bacteria can bring on a week of diarrhea, cramping, abdominal pain and fever.
   4271. CrosbyBird Posted: May 01, 2014 at 05:57 PM (#4698462)
I don't remember if this has been posted.
   4272. Manny Coon Posted: May 01, 2014 at 05:58 PM (#4698463)
Now what's always struck me as weird is separating chess into genders. Women compete at top levels of chess, but I find it ridiculous that they have a Woman Grandmaster title that's a lower level than the Grandmaster title. It's the equivalent of having an additional Pulitzer Prize for Lady Writers.

Judit Polgar might agree with this, which is why she's never bothered to compete in the top women's championships events. When she was younger she said she didn't like playing against other girls because they weren't serious about chess. She's obviously an exceptional case, but at same time she and her sisters likely got much better training at a young age than a lot of other female players at that time. I don't if things have changed since then, although Hou Yifan is very strong player for her age.
   4273. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: May 01, 2014 at 06:08 PM (#4698468)
When you make #### up, it probably is not going to make any sense, no.

Sam said people whose "normal is the default setting of most of society" have it "better than others have," simply because of that fact.

That is completely false, and since my "default" is to point out BS when it stares me in the face, I did.
   4274. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: May 01, 2014 at 06:09 PM (#4698470)
So the three-year-old "cisgender" kid who gets hit by a car and killed, or dies of cancer, has it better than all transgenders.

Very few three year old children have developed a sense of self so deeply experienced to be rightly understood to be naturally gendered at all. Their only gender is their socially assigned birth gender. You are still being willfully stupid.
   4275. CrosbyBird Posted: May 01, 2014 at 06:10 PM (#4698471)
There's nothing about being the so-called "default" that implies an easier life than the non-"default."(*) The "at least in one aspect" gets entirely swallowed up by other aspects of life.

I cannot imagine being so willfully blind. Do you even know any black people or women? Ask them if they think there's not a significant social advantage to being a white male.
   4276. CrosbyBird Posted: May 01, 2014 at 06:11 PM (#4698472)
That is completely false, and since my "default" is to point out BS when it stares me in the face, I did.

I'm not surprised that you seem to see so much ####, considering how far your head is up your own ass.
   4277. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: May 01, 2014 at 06:14 PM (#4698473)
Very few three year old children have developed a sense of self so deeply experienced to be rightly understood to be naturally gendered at all. Their only gender is their socially assigned birth gender. You are still being willfully stupid.

Oh, good Lord. Ten year old then.

"Cisgender" wasn't the point, as would be obvious to anyone but you. Three-year-old was. It's worse to get hit by a car at 3 than to go through life "transgendered." Many, many things can and do happen to "cisgendered" people that makes their lives worse than "transgendered" people. You treat all of these things that cause some discriminatory behavior on the part of some people as utterly and completely determinative and debilitating. It's absurd.
   4278. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: May 01, 2014 at 06:16 PM (#4698475)
Do you even know any black people or women? Ask them if they think there's not a significant social advantage to being a white male.

So women are the experts now on what it's like to be a white male? OK, yeah -- that makes perfect sense. Then I'm the expert on what it's like to be a woman. Women are privileged. So there.
   4279. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: May 01, 2014 at 06:26 PM (#4698480)
Oh, good Lord. Ten year old then.

A 10 year old transgendered person will generally have a harder time of it than a 10 year old cisgendered person. Because in addition to all of the other things that can stain #### onto a 10 year old's life, they have gender displacement issues and having to deal with the brutality of other kids' reactions to your out-of-standardness to deal with too. This isn't hard. I'm a heterosexual, heteroamorous, cisgendered, white protestant man born, raised and living in the American south. This doesn't mean I haven't had some issues here or there; I grew up poor and redneck, and have had to develop an intense facility of code switching to make my way up the socio-economic ladder over time. But if I had been poor, southern and black, or female, or gay, or transgendered, all of the problems I have faced to date would have been complicated and compounded by those additional social pigeonholes. I have benefited from the basic privilege of being part of dominant caste for the most part.

That's what privilege is, and it requires willful stupidity to fail to grasp how it works.
   4280. Misirlou's been working for the drug squad Posted: May 01, 2014 at 06:28 PM (#4698482)
You know you can disagree with someone without disingenuously mis-interpreting what they wrote.

No, he really can't.
   4281. zenbitz Posted: May 01, 2014 at 06:40 PM (#4698487)

This is a pretty sweet troll... but I am pretty sure that transgenders are not statistically less likely to get hit by cars and killed. One would expect that the variables are independent.
While other variables ARE linked to cis/trans gender status.
   4282. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: May 01, 2014 at 07:30 PM (#4698500)
This is a pretty sweet troll...

take the r out of pretty and remove sweet altogether.

4283. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: May 01, 2014 at 07:43 PM (#4698502)
And now, with the claim that entering American society poor, southern, and redneck is a birthright of privilege, the thread's final descent into farce is officially complete.
   4284. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: May 01, 2014 at 07:43 PM (#4698503)

Who knows, if you're lucky, maybe you'll get clotheslined by an electrified wire first.

On the other hand, if you're unlucky ...

[EDIT] Dammit, Lassus beat me to it.
   4285. zenbitz Posted: May 01, 2014 at 08:03 PM (#4698508)
@4283 So, when blacks are more violent than whites, it's race. When whites are underprivileged it's class.

4286. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 01, 2014 at 08:53 PM (#4698539)
Another complication to forcing Sterling to sell the Clippers - Divorce Court:
In the case of the Clippers, a divorce filing by either Sterling or his wife, Rochelle, could stall the NBA's move to force a sale, putting the team under the jurisdiction of a California family court as the Sterlings divide their community property. That process could be complicated as the team is owned by a family trust, which includes Sterling's wife.
. . .
other possible lines of attack Sterling might use against the NBA.

• Challenging the NBA's authority to force a sale of his property just because of personal opinions he shared in a conversation he thought was private. This could be a breach-of-contract because the reason for his ouster arguably doesn't follow league bylaws.

• Filing an antitrust suit against the league, arguing that a forced sale of his team in this circumstance is an illegal restraint of trade that could make him accept a below-market price.

Looks to be as messy as the McCourts, but they ended up doing OK.
   4287. Howie Menckel Posted: May 01, 2014 at 08:59 PM (#4698545)
wow, right-wing radio all-in on Benghazi today! Limbaugh and Hannity among them.

cannot picture that one gaining ANY mainstream traction at this point - short of a Susan Rice email showing she hired the cast and crew of that terrorism video she pitched on the Sunday talk shows, lol
   4288. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 01, 2014 at 09:05 PM (#4698547)
V Stiviano actually does launch an exploratory committee to run for president so she can "change the legislation and laws."

A Democrat, I presume?
   4289. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: May 01, 2014 at 09:08 PM (#4698549)
Right wing radio is stupid and dumb. News?
   4290. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: May 01, 2014 at 09:10 PM (#4698551)
And now, with the claim that entering American society poor, southern, and redneck is a birthright of privilege, the thread's final descent into farce is officially complete.

I realize cartoonish lot stupid is your schtick, but that's obviously not what was written. Idiot.
   4291. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 01, 2014 at 09:18 PM (#4698554)
wow, right-wing radio all-in on Benghazi today!

They aren't the only ones faulting the White House. And why wouldn't it be a concern when the White House misleads the American people:
New documents obtained by conservative watchdog Judicial Watch reinforce that the White House strongly argued that an anti-Muslim video was the reason for the deadly 2012 terror attacks on U.S. compounds in Benghazi. This was done even though intelligence and diplomatic sources on the ground were more convinced the attacks that killed Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans in eastern Libya were carried out by terrorists and not the spontaneous work of an angry mob.

And if the White House has nothing to hide, why did they try to hide the e-mail by claiming it wasn't Benghazi-related? Anyone want to justify that since Jay Carney wasn't very effective in his attempt to do so?

4292. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: May 01, 2014 at 09:23 PM (#4698555)
I'm not going to try to explain this to you because you're not going to listen.
   4293. Morty Causa Posted: May 01, 2014 at 09:27 PM (#4698558)
I'd say well over 99%. Venus Williams is 6'1" with a monster build and she can serve with accuracy at nearly 130 mph. Most men will have a size disadvantage, and I'd wager a strength disadvantage. Andy Roddick is only 6'2" for comparison.

I think she's at a level where you'd need to have professional-level talent to have a legitimate shot against her. Most of the disadvantages that women face in professional sports are size/strength, because women are generally significantly smaller and weaker than men, but Venus is a really special case.

Yes, she probably is. But, males don't just have an advantage in gross musculature. It's also in the network of finer connecting and supporting muscles. This generally means that for a female to be as strong as a corresponding male, she has to be bigger than him--a good bit bigger. Think Michael Chang compared to Williams. Do you really think he wouldn't have mopped the court with her. And how big was he? Or Rod Laver. Or (dast I say it) Bobby Riggs. Not a chance.

And, really, probably a whole slew of top-rated college players could beat her, if a cigarette smoking, beer guzzling, never serious about training low-ranked male player could hand both her and her sister their heads without hardly trying, in matches one after another at the same event.
   4294. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: May 01, 2014 at 09:37 PM (#4698560)
I'm not going to try to explain this to you because you're not going to listen.

I listened. You weren't "privileged," you more successfully "code-switched" than other people. You should just accept that and stop feeling guilty about it.

Other people could have code switched, too. They didn't. You did. Be proud.
   4295. Morty Causa Posted: May 01, 2014 at 09:39 PM (#4698562)

I took this to mean, everyone plays at the top of their ability.

Take it how you want. One group's members are still a protected class. If they are good enough, it is said, they get to go up, but no one in the higher class gets to go down to the Japanese League when they age or ability deteriorates. That is a sweet deal, comparatively, if one of rank "ism". And this is strictly arbitrary boundary setting. Furthermore, don't just think the PGA tour or the male pro tennis tour--think of those amateurs who are now being deprived of money they could earn if it were strictly a matter of ability and open competition. The summer job market for college (hell, even high school) male athletes would suddenly bloom and flourish.
   4296. Lassus Posted: May 01, 2014 at 09:40 PM (#4698563)
BENGHAZI! makes more sense than SBB at this point.
   4297. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: May 01, 2014 at 09:48 PM (#4698565)
The fact that I'm good at code switching doesn't make the dominant code exist less. Privilege is the dominant code.
   4298. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: May 01, 2014 at 09:49 PM (#4698566)
And the you're not going to listen comment was directed at Clapper.
   4299. Morty Causa Posted: May 01, 2014 at 09:51 PM (#4698569)
4297:

You can saying this as if you received it in a revelation. This goes without saying. So? What next? How do you deal with that? In a principled way or simply by coercive reassignment of privleges?
   4300. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 01, 2014 at 09:53 PM (#4698571)
Dems On Thin Ice For 2014:
By an even larger margin, 53 percent-38 percent, the same poll shows the voters most interested in this coming election favor Republicans. And with President Obama’s approval numbers in the danger zone, under 50 percent (up slightly in the one poll and down in the other), 53 percent of respondents in the Washington Post/ABC News poll said they favored having Republicans control Congress as a check on the president’s policies.

The consensus, among pollsters and prognosticators, is that turnout favors Republicans. Midterm elections attract an older, whiter and more male electorate than presidential elections do, and the participation of the coalition on which Democrats depend tends to drop off dramatically. In 2010, the Democrats had a 5-point lead in the general ballot just before the party lost control of the House majority. Now they are tied in one survey and ahead by just 1 point in another.

The popularity of ObamaCare has seen a slight uptick in the Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll but remains unpopular enough among Republican and independent voters that Democrats, for the most part, have refused to run on it, even as all of their GOP opponents run against it. The issue continues to galvanize Republicans while Democrats hold their collective breath, in fear of a spike in premiums set by insurance companies in the late summer could create a wave that costs them 10 seats or more in the Senate. [emphasis added]

10 Senate seats would be a lot.

Page 43 of 48 pages ‹ First  < 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Kiko Sakata
for his generous support.