Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, December 02, 2012

OTP December 2012 - Pushing G.O.P. to Negotiate, Obama Ends Giving In

Mr. Obama, scarred by failed negotiations in his first term and emboldened by a clear if close election to a second, has emerged as a different kind of negotiator in the past week or two, sticking to the liberal line and frustrating Republicans on the other side of the bargaining table.

Bitter Mouse Posted: December 02, 2012 at 11:15 PM | 6172 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 9 of 62 pages ‹ First  < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >  Last ›
   801. McCoy Posted: December 05, 2012 at 11:30 AM (#4317535)
The Prison scene in the comic was horrifying. I so wasn't ready to ready that. For those who have read the comic, there was a part in the last episode of TWD that seemed to at least allude to the prisoner in on "tax evasion" but it might just be a bone thrown to the readers.

When I saw that I was wondering if they would do it but I don't think they really can on basic cable TV. I think it'll be threatened and about to happen when it gets stopped, probably by walkers, and they all die. The interesting thing will be the fallout. Who goes psychotic and which member is killed. In the comic it was Tyreese but he doesn't really have the group for it nor does have a lot of people to go psychotic on.
   802. Bitter Mouse Posted: December 05, 2012 at 11:30 AM (#4317537)
The government of the oldest civilization in the history of the world, which has absolutley fleeced the US over the last two decades, is hoarding gold.

How has China fleeced the US? (Serious question) They have done well for themselves and had impressive growth rates, but that is good for the US and the whole world (ignoring climate change).

but not the EU and the US. They have the concept of "too big to fail" and think that there is such thing as a sustainable economy that does not produce material goods.

GDP figures - link
World 69,899,225
European Union 17,610,826
US 15,075,675

So the US and EU together are 46% of the world's economies and that is ignoring Canada, Japan, Australia and so on. The EU and US are in fact too big to fail by any rational measure (arguably China is to btw).
   803. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: December 05, 2012 at 11:31 AM (#4317538)
re 789

Or it is all part of the Governor's plan to infiltrate the prison as he suggested doing in the beginning of the episode.

I don't think he planned on letting Michonne poke out an eye- even if he did have a plan to have Merle infiltrate the prison I think that's out the window now- Merle lied To HIM him about killing Michonne.
   804. McCoy Posted: December 05, 2012 at 11:36 AM (#4317544)
I don't think he planned on letting Michonne poke out an eye- even if he did have a plan to have Merle infiltrate the prison I think that's out the window now- Merle lied To HIM him about killing Michonne.

He didn't plan on having these people come in attack them but it did reveal just how dangerous these outsiders are, that they've sided against him, and has presented him with an opportunity to infiltrate the prison This isn't a guy who is going bypass a chance like that. The TV Governor likes subterfuge. He likes to mask the monster and his true nature until his fangs are ripping your throat out. He isn't one for a direct assault on a well armed and prepared enemy. He's going to use trickery or lies to get into the prison.
   805. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: December 05, 2012 at 11:39 AM (#4317545)
As I said, I just love solving mysteries/problems/riddles. It's fun to play detective and I sometimes daydream about having gone into forensic linguistics.

I'm not sure you're as good at this game as you think you are. And like others, I have no idea who the new secret identity mystery poster is supposed to be.
   806. McCoy Posted: December 05, 2012 at 11:41 AM (#4317548)

I'm saying that any currency not backed by something real, whether its gold, oil, a broad manufacturing base, or something else that can be sold on an open market is eventually going to fail.

Kind of weird to shoehorn gold into that list. Plus all currencies fail and all countries fail at some point in time. Pointing out that a currency will fail isn't really adding anything meaningful to the discussion nor should it spur on to a gold currency that we already know would lead to massive upheavals, destruction, and death. If you wish to contract the economy, experience money crunches and floods, civil wars, and so forth then by all means keep on urging for a gold based currency.
   807. McCoy Posted: December 05, 2012 at 11:41 AM (#4317549)
I'm not sure you're as good at this game as you think you are. And like others, I have no idea who the new secret identity mystery poster is supposed to be.

Doesn't that prove he is as good as he thinks he is?
   808. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: December 05, 2012 at 11:47 AM (#4317554)
As for the irony of Dan's comments, if you ask him to list the handles he has posted under on this site, he'll probably leave a few off. There's no reason to go any further with it, except to note that Dan's the last person here who should call people out for handle-switching.

Glad I removed you from my ignore list briefly to see that particular bauble marched out. For those unaware, tshipman and formerly dp are of the belief that I need an alternate handle to say what I really think of them, even though I've been perfectly happy to say exactly what I think of them under my own name.

But if it reassures dp, I have no qualms about being more generous about volunteering my opinion of him even more freely in the future. We should strive to be transparent, after all.
   809. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: December 05, 2012 at 11:54 AM (#4317559)
For those unaware, tshipman and formerly dp are of the belief that I need an alternate handle to say what I really think of them, even though I've been perfectly happy to say exactly what I think of them under my own name.

Have you, or have you not, posted under multiple accounts? I, personally, have never posted under any other account than this one. I have changed the "handle" of this account on occasion, but only notably once. Prior to 2012 I always posted as some variant of that began with "Sam Hutcheson..." During the great OT/site redesign debates of 2011-12, it was decided that I was the "Rickey Henderson of thread closures," which amused me to no end. Thus, when I decided to remove my legal name from Google searches that would hit BBTF directly, I became "Rickey..."

You, Dan?
   810. formerly dp Posted: December 05, 2012 at 11:54 AM (#4317560)
For those unaware, tshipman and formerly dp are of the belief that I need an alternate handle to say what I really think of them
The list of people who spotted your sock puppets runs a bit longer than you're acknowledging here. Sometimes detectives don't make the best criminals.
   811. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: December 05, 2012 at 11:55 AM (#4317561)
Also, it's sad that we're fighting today. Today is Repeal Day, the most holy day in all of the land. Everyone should be happy on repeal day.

Except angry drunks, I suppose.
   812. tshipman Posted: December 05, 2012 at 11:55 AM (#4317562)
Have you, or have you not, posted under multiple accounts? I, personally, have never posted under any other account than this one. I have changed the "handle" of this account on occasion, but only notably once. Prior to 2012 I always posted as some variant of that began with "Sam Hutcheson..." During the great OT/site redesign debates of 2011-12, it was decided that I was the "Rickey Henderson of thread closures," which amused me to no end. Thus, when I decided to remove my legal name from Google searches that would hit BBTF directly, I became "Rickey..."

Specifically, what about the handle, "He's Bought a Bat like Prince Fielder".

Anyone so obsessed with people having second handles is typically obsessed for a reason.
   813. formerly dp Posted: December 05, 2012 at 11:56 AM (#4317564)
it was decided that I was the "Rickey Henderson of thread closures,"
Passive voice?
   814. spike Posted: December 05, 2012 at 11:57 AM (#4317566)
While only tangentially political, RA Dickey on The Daily Show last night was thoroughly enjoyable.
   815. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: December 05, 2012 at 11:58 AM (#4317567)
Passive voice?

You made that judgement. I simply accepted it as truthful and honest and funny as all hell. So passive voice would be proper for me in that regard.
   816. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: December 05, 2012 at 11:59 AM (#4317569)

Sam, Rickey, or Scarlett O'Hara, whatever you call yourself, your bloody fingerprints are always all over your knife. Don't ever change.
   817. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: December 05, 2012 at 12:01 PM (#4317576)
Also, it's sad that we're fighting today. Today is Repeal Day, the most holy day in all of the land. Everyone should be happy on repeal day.

My God, you're right. In loving tribute.
   818. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: December 05, 2012 at 12:02 PM (#4317578)
Sam, Rickey, or Scarlett O'Hara, whatever you call yourself, your bloody fingerprints are always all over your knife. Don't ever change.

It would taken neither an amateur nor professional forensic linguist to figure out who I am. No matter the name listed in hyper-link blue, style and class will always out.
   819. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: December 05, 2012 at 12:05 PM (#4317582)

And to you.
   820. Bitter Mouse Posted: December 05, 2012 at 12:08 PM (#4317585)
It would taken neither an amateur nor professional forensic linguist to figure out who I am.

One of the quirks of how I read is I read the content of a post before the author (unless I really try not to). Often times I know who it is well before I get to author, but sometiems I am surprised. Andy has perhaps the most distinct voice (some of that is unique format choices) but I guess others as well.

I have no clue if I have a specific Bitter Mouse voice or not (I suspect/guess I have writtern ticks that would out me, but nothing super distinctive).
   821. McCoy Posted: December 05, 2012 at 12:11 PM (#4317590)
Sometimes I worry I'm a sociopath in disguise and part of the reason I worry about that is because I couldn't give a fig who any of you are and generally don't remember which side any of you take on subjects.
   822. Jack Keefe Posted: December 05, 2012 at 12:14 PM (#4317592)
Al now they are all up set becuse some 1 can Poast under a number of Names but can you tell who it is from the Stile. I have worried about this. Al I try to make Commas that make sense and every 1 should not know it is Me that is why I used Spell Cheque. But then I poast a Post and every 1 says Oh that Keefe. I try for Nanonymity but it does not all ways work Al. And this is the Inner Net where we should all strife to be Nononymouse.
   823. spike Posted: December 05, 2012 at 12:15 PM (#4317593)

And to you.

There's but one tune that accurately summarizes my unhealthy love affair with baseball and booze. And not to worry Sam, the wagon business didn't take. Again.
   824. Bitter Mouse Posted: December 05, 2012 at 12:16 PM (#4317595)
Sometimes I worry I'm a sociopath

A true sociopath wouldn't worry at all :)

And Jack Keefe the "shot by Robin Yount" thread needs you.
   825. McCoy Posted: December 05, 2012 at 12:16 PM (#4317596)

That's actually what allows me to sleep at night. Then again if I was a sociopath I'd sleep like a baby anyway. Arrgh!
   826. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: December 05, 2012 at 12:23 PM (#4317603)
Specifically, what about the handle, "He's Bought a Bat like Prince Fielder".

For those keeping score, my supposed sockpuppet is apparently the same guy that said this in 2009 (the screen name has changed since I reposted this at the time, but I'll find him in the political thread referenced if anyone doubts me).

I suspect some of the controversy over mgl and Cameron is a turf issue. BTF was never really the home turf for either of these fellows, so when they say something abrasive, they're more likely to get taken to task for that. Contrast that with someone like Szymborski, who can be just as strident and arrogant in his analysis, but with BTF as his turf, he never gets a deserved #####-slapping from the community (or from the SBN blogs, for some reason).

Maybe I *should* claim it as my own as it would be awesomely Machiavellian to insult myself and post more than 100 comments over a 5-year period, just so I could have an alibi 5 years later when I insult someone I didn't even know existed at the time! I've used the term strident, too, so the cat's out of the bag: BTF actually consists of me and about 5 readers who found the site to listen to my multiple personalities argue.
   827. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: December 05, 2012 at 12:24 PM (#4317605)
Sometimes I worry I'm a sociopath

You know the entire point of "Dexter" is to show that we're all sociopaths and that the only thing that sets Dexter apart from other people is the fact that he kills people, right?
   828. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: December 05, 2012 at 12:29 PM (#4317606)
That's actually what allows me to sleep at night. Then again if I was a sociopath I'd sleep like a baby anyway. Arrgh!

Everybody's got a little bit of sociopath in them.

After listening to my mom on the phone yesterday telling me the sad tale of her dropping a gallon of milk in her driveway and having to go back out to pick up another one, I was struggling very hard to say "I could not care less about this and have absolutely zero empathy for you needing to spend 10 minutes being mildly inconvenienced."
   829. Group Captain Mandrake Posted: December 05, 2012 at 12:31 PM (#4317610)
OK, I want to vent a little here. I'm in the market for a new car. I like the VW TDI, and I really like/want a Passat. Trouble is, The Passat TDI comes with either manual transmission with no sunroof, or automatic transmission with a sunroof. How stupid is that? Tying the transmission choice to a body trim style. I want an automatic with no sunroof, but VW doesn't offer that choice. They do with the Jetta TDI, and they do as well with the Passat gas engine: you can get automatic or manual, sunroof or not. But not the Passat diesel. The Jetta is probably fine, but I hate feeling that I settled for something less than optimum when I'm spending about $26,000. Maybe I'll get a Prius instead.
   830. The Good Face Posted: December 05, 2012 at 12:32 PM (#4317611)

A sociopath might very well worry about being discovered/outed as a sociopath, as discovery could potentially bring negative consequences. Soooo... sleep tight!
   831. Bitter Mouse Posted: December 05, 2012 at 12:39 PM (#4317620)
OK, I want to vent a little here. I'm in the market for a new car.

Cars are personal, but worry more about not getting what you want as oppossed to getting something you don't want (put simply I doubt you will care about an extra sun roof in a year).

That said I recommend using CostCo. Back when I last bought a car* as a member you could use the service where they already negotiated with local dealerships for a price. I am 100% sure they negotiated a better price than I would have and it removed all hassle from the process. I also showed up with CostCo financing in hand which the dealership moved heaven and earth to get me a better deal than. It was awesome and worth much more than the price of a years membership.

I am sure other companies do this as well. Between CostCo and internet research (mostly Consumer Reports, but not all) buying a car was so much nicer this time.

* Camry Hybrid if you must know. I love it, but it was before the Toyota Prius Brake thing which annoyed me, so I may look away from Toyota foor the next car.
   832. Group Captain Mandrake Posted: December 05, 2012 at 12:41 PM (#4317627)
(put simply I doubt you will care about an extra sun roof)

Actually, I do care. I once had a Honda Accord with a sunroof, and after about 5 years I started having leakage problems which lasted the entire rest of the life of the car. Since I plan on keeping this car for a long time, I absolutely do not want a sunroof.

Thanks for the buying tip. I'm not a member of Costco, but BJ's. I like Costco better, but but the nearest one is a further 30 minutes (as opposed to BJ's) from my home.
   833. zenbitz Posted: December 05, 2012 at 12:43 PM (#4317629)
Nice use of "central planning" in that Forbes blurb.
   834. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: December 05, 2012 at 12:47 PM (#4317634)
Dialing back...
515. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: December 04, 2012 at 02:28 PM (#4316639)

News Flash: Not only do I already think of myself primarily as American, I don't think of myself as anything else. It's not the ethnic minority groups — especially those past the 1st generation born within American borders —who don't accept themselves as Americans, it's the previously established population here who don't accept them as Americans, and it's been thus since the 18th century.

Really? Only days ago, you admitted that you have voted — and will continue voting in the future — for political candidates strictly on the basis of their Asian ancestry (or lack thereof).
There's nothing more American than having a government that that represents its people. You don't see the paucity of Asian-Americans in government as a problem, but that's mostly because you don't care for the way we tend to vote.
   835. spike Posted: December 05, 2012 at 12:50 PM (#4317635)
   836. Bitter Mouse Posted: December 05, 2012 at 12:50 PM (#4317638)
Actually, I do care. I once had a Honda Accord with a sunroof, and after about 5 years I started having leakage problems which lasted the entire rest of the life of the car. Since I plan on keeping this car for a long time, I absolutely do not want a sunroof.

Fair enough. I have heard this is not a problem any more, but I have no idea personally.
   837. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: December 05, 2012 at 12:51 PM (#4317640)
You don't see the paucity of Asian-Americans in government as a problem, but that's mostly because you don't care for the way we tend to vote.

It's worth noting that the so-called "tribalism" of Anaheim's position here is not actually that tribal at all. He has consistently argued that he would vote for a politician of Asian descent, barring any other disqualifications, because he thinks it's important for America to see people like himself as "real Americans." The only way to do that is to put people that "look like him" in the public eye as American leaders.

The impulse here is a sort of tribalistic identity game designed to undermine the base tribalism of the majority* and their "real Americans" schtick. If Backlasher were around he might call it crypto-tribalism.

*more properly plurality these days, I suppose.
   838. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: December 05, 2012 at 12:52 PM (#4317643)
You never have cabin leaks on a motorcycle.
   839. zonk Posted: December 05, 2012 at 12:52 PM (#4317644)
Dialing back...

Save it for page 10...

Page 9 of OTP is traditionally the page of pointless J'ACCUSE!

If you want to reframe your dialback to meet the page 9 requirements -- I might recommend starting it with something like "Listen here, honky..." -- kindly edit your post.
   840. Fernigal McGunnigle has become a merry hat Posted: December 05, 2012 at 12:54 PM (#4317651)
Speaking of currencies, the British pound can be traced in an unbroken line back to the silver pennies issued by the King of Mercia in the late 760s AD. That doesn't mean anything in terms of contemporary monetary policy -- the currency has gone through numerous changes, reforms, debasements, and devaluations, and has gone on and off of the gold standard. But there hasn't been a total break in there anywhere, and that's really cool.

I think the Governor is still thinking of Merle as a plant. The best way for Merle to be a sneaky actor is for him not to know that he's acting.

My parents also got a car via Costco, and were extremely happy with the experience.
   841. Bitter Mouse Posted: December 05, 2012 at 12:55 PM (#4317653)
zonk,

That is exactly the sort of post I would expect from a socialist crypto-tribalist, you un-American bastard!

EDIT: And here I thought the last word would get nannied.
   842. Greg K Posted: December 05, 2012 at 12:55 PM (#4317654)
Speaking of sociopaths and comedy.

Just saw "Seven Psychopaths". It takes a while to get where it's going, but once you get Sam Rockwell and Christopher Walken together for an extended amount of time it's gold.
   843. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: December 05, 2012 at 12:55 PM (#4317655)
OK, I want to vent a little here. I'm in the market for a new car. I like the VW TDI, and I really like/want a Passat. Trouble is, The Passat TDI comes with either manual transmission with no sunroof, or automatic transmission with a sunroof. How stupid is that?

That is amazingly ridiculous. I know -- or more accurately, assume -- that dealerships don't want to carry a ton of models, but that sounds a little silly.

Sadly, I never learned to use a manual transmission.
   844. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: December 05, 2012 at 12:56 PM (#4317658)
EDIT: And here I thought the last word would get nannied.

If you want to really have fun, the nanny has all sorts of strange curse terms blocked. But not shitty for some reason.
   845. Bitter Mouse Posted: December 05, 2012 at 12:58 PM (#4317660)
Back to the GDP by country list I am amused that North Korea and Iceland are next to each other. There is likely not a adjacent pair with a larger gap on where I would like to live.

EDIT: Though Bahamas and Occupied Palestinian Territory has to be pretty close.
   846. Greg K Posted: December 05, 2012 at 12:58 PM (#4317661)
I have no clue if I have a specific Bitter Mouse voice or not (I suspect/guess I have writtern ticks that would out me, but nothing super distinctive).

I'd say a classic Bitter Mouse post is one which replies to a sarcastic or rhetorical question thoughtfully, as if it were a genuine one, presents a firm, but qualified position, then refers to rodents in the third person.
   847. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: December 05, 2012 at 12:58 PM (#4317662)

This explains so much. I'm willing to allow Anaheim's little crypto-tribe in the gates, but you can't be a real American if you can't drive stick.
   848. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:00 PM (#4317664)
One of the quirks of how I read is I read the content of a post before the author (unless I really try not to). Often times I know who it is well before I get to author, but sometiems I am surprised. Andy has perhaps the most distinct voice (some of that is unique format choices) but I guess others as well.

I'd say Lisa has everyone beat by a Yewston mile when it comes to distinctiveness of voice and sense of humor, although Keefe and "America's Primate" YR are in different categories altogether.
   849. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:01 PM (#4317667)
I'd say Lisa has everyone beat by a Yewston mile when it comes to distinctiveness of voice and sense of humor, although Keefe and "America's Primate" YR are in different categories altogether.

The key is to recognize that you are a character first.
   850. Group Captain Mandrake Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:05 PM (#4317672)

This explains so much. I'm willing to allow Anaheim's little crypto-tribe in the gates, but you can't be a real American if you can't drive stick.

I can drive a stick, I just don't want to. This car is going to be primarily my driving around town running errands, driving the kids to school/activities, and the occasional road trip when I don't need the capacity/towing ability of my Suburban. I don't want a stick for that.
   851. Bitter Mouse Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:05 PM (#4317673)
I'd say Lisa has everyone beat by a Yewston mile when it comes to distinctiveness of voice

I forgot her. Mostly because I can't read her posts. I try and can barely make it through the real short ones, but the punctuation and grammer defeat me most of the time. Largely the Same with Jack Keefe (and some other posters)as well. I am not saying they are bad posts or not valuable, just I can not for the life of me make it through them.
   852. BDC Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:08 PM (#4317679)
the British pound can be traced in an unbroken line back to the silver pennies issued by the King of Mercia in the late 760s AD

The one factoid I know about that currency is that "sterling" is a shortened form of "Easterling" or "Osterling" or something like that, indicating that the best silver came from the East (the Baltic and the Hanseatic League). Of course, that could be so factoidal as to be nonexistent.
   853. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:11 PM (#4317684)
I can drive a stick, I just don't want to.

Then you can stay. Dan is off the island.
   854. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:12 PM (#4317688)
Of course, that could be so factoidal as to be nonexistent.

A fact is merely a factoid the majority of history has decided to agree upon.
   855. zonk Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:15 PM (#4317695)

Manual transmissions are pointless if you live in any urbanized area and spend large amounts of time in bumper-to-bumper expressway traffic.

That said, learning to drive stick is a good idea solely to have it in your pocket to lord over those who haven't.
   856. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:15 PM (#4317697)
It's worth noting that the so-called "tribalism" of Anaheim's position here is not actually that tribal at all. He has consistently argued that he would vote for a politician of Asian descent, barring any other disqualifications, because he thinks it's important for America to see people like himself as "real Americans." The only way to do that is to put people that "look like him" in the public eye as American leaders.

E pluribus pluribus. So noble.

Edit: on the plus side, this could be a real boon for the cosmetic surgery industry.
   857. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:18 PM (#4317702)
If you want to really have fun, the nanny has all sorts of strange curse terms blocked. But not shitty for some reason

tough tittie
   858. Blastin Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:19 PM (#4317704)
grammer

Hee.
   859. zonk Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:20 PM (#4317705)
coitus
   860. BDC Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:20 PM (#4317706)
learning to drive stick is a good idea solely to have it in your pocket to lord over those who haven't

It's about the only thing in life I have to lord it over others with. That and being able to do the Prize Crosswords from the Financial Times.

But you're right, the advantages of a manual are becoming fewer and fewer. Newer automatic transmissions are way more fuel-efficient. I mostly just like going into fifth while saying "Mr Sulu, Warp Speed Five."
   861. Fernigal McGunnigle has become a merry hat Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:21 PM (#4317707)
Back to the GDP by country list I am amused that North Korea and Iceland are next to each other. There is likely not a adjacent pair with a larger gap on where I would like to live.

This is a fun game... Luxembourg is right between Azerbaijan and Belarus. Costa Rica is next to Yemen. Chad is just above Malta. Sweden and Saudi Arabia. If we include British possessions, the British Virgin Islands are just above Liberia and Bermuda is adjacent to Haiti.

Another fun thing is adjacent countries that arrive at their GDP by very different means. Indonesia and Switzerland are #18 and #19 on the UN list, for example. Or the stretch that goes Niger-Monaco-Malawi-Liechtenstein-Kyrgyzstan.
   862. McCoy Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:22 PM (#4317708)
I almost got a VW the last time I bought a car but I decided against it. They were the more expensive option in the class I was wishing to get and since I was trading in a BMW in part because of the repair bills the last thing I wanted was another expensive to maintain German car. I ended up settling on a Toyota Camry because with zero percent financing, great warranty, and a good price on my trade in the car was practicaly free. It has a sun roof and does not get parked in a garage so it has been exposed to the elements but it has shown no signs of leaking yet and I've had it for almost 4 years now. Though there are what seem like a billion minor recalls on it and I think one of them has to do with the sunroof controls which I can understand since the controls are buggy.

I've barely driven the car in the last year and half and it still has less than 16,000 miles on it. Had I known that then I probably wouldn't have gotten anything and kept my BMW. If I were to get a new car now or in the near future I'd probably get an Audi or a SUW.
   863. Fernigal McGunnigle has become a merry hat Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:22 PM (#4317709)
If you want to really have fun, the nanny has all sorts of strange curse terms blocked.

I thought I saw a ##### cat.
   864. Rants Mulliniks Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:23 PM (#4317710)
How has China fleeced the US? (Serious question)

China's economic gain over the past two decades has come directly at the expense of the west, most notably the US. I happen to think that is the result of overarching globalist policy more than Chinese influence, but that's besdie the point. China has been spending hundreds of billions a year building dams, highways, ports, power plants, subways while the US has an infrastructure deficit of well over $1 trillion. The annual trade deficit between the US and China is around half trillion dollars. This is all financed by the US Treasury and US-based multinationals, at the expence of US jobs and US infrastructure.

The EU and US are in fact too big to fail by any rational measure

What you don't understand is that we can't rewrite the laws of economics to save something that is destined to fail. Distressed economies and currencies can be saved, but not while we're still doing that which ###### it over in the first place - creatng more unsustainable debt not backed my anything of value.
   865. BDC Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:23 PM (#4317712)
the nanny has all sorts of strange curse terms blocked

In my opinion the nanny is a knave, a rascal, an eater of broken meats, a base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, action-taking, whoreson glass-gazing, superserviceable, finical rogue; one-trunk-inheriting slave; one that would be a bawd in way of good service, and is nothing but the composition of a knave, beggar, coward, pander, and the son and heir of a mongrel #####.

And a base foot ball player.
   866. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:24 PM (#4317714)
I can drive stick, but I just don't see the point. I deal with Southern California stop-and-go traffic, and it's just that much more convenient to drive automatic.
   867. McCoy Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:26 PM (#4317717)
It's about the only thing in life I have to lord it over others with. That and being able to do the Prize Crosswords from the Financial Times.

But you're right, the advantages of a manual are becoming fewer and fewer. Newer automatic transmissions are way more fuel-efficient. I mostly just like going into fifth while saying "Mr Sulu, Warp Speed Five."

I've never driven stick but I'd like to believe that after all my years of playing videogames I'd could drive stick perfectly fine 90% of the time. My old car had one of those automatic/manual things but I rarely used it. I would get so preoccupied with listening to the engine and checking the display that I would barely pay attention to the road. I lived in urbanized areas with a good amount of traffic so I never saw the need for manual.
   868. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:27 PM (#4317719)
"Artie Ziff" had a distinctive voice

He (it) would be one of the first posts on a baseball thread, he/it would say something breathtakingly wrongheaded and obtuse, but would do it completely matter of factly... and never post again on that thread

there was an Artie Ziff revival for awhile but it clearly was a different person/sub-routine-

If Ziff posted on a Jack Morris HOF trhead it would go something like:

His lack of votes his first years on the ballot clearly indicate a lack of interest in him by the mainstream BBWAA voters, he'll have to continue to rely upon a SABR oriented stat-based campaign to get in

on the Marlins he'd post something like this:

Loria is a levelheaded businessman, it is very much out of character for him to shed payroll so soon after investing so much inn the new facility, with so much payroll freed up we should expect to see him be very active in this year's FA market

869. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:28 PM (#4317720)
I can drive stick, but I just don't see the point.

Because it's cool. Chicks dig it. And after you've driven stick for a few years you get antsy driving an automatic, thinking you should be doing something with your hands and feet.
   870. McCoy Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:30 PM (#4317721)
The GDP has doubled in terms of real dollars since 1989 and the GNP has tripled since then. Just imagnine how great of an overlord we'd be if it wasn't for those rascally Chinese.
   871. Rants Mulliniks Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:31 PM (#4317723)
OK, I want to vent a little here. I'm in the market for a new car. I like the VW TDI, and I really like/want a Passat. Trouble is, The Passat TDI comes with either manual transmission with no sunroof, or automatic transmission with a sunroof.

My brother just bought a new Tacoma and had the problem. He wanted the TRD off-road package with a standard trans., but you could only get it with auto.

Don't buy a 2011 Hyundai Elantra.
   872. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:33 PM (#4317724)
If you want to really have fun, the nanny has all sorts of strange curse terms blocked. But not ###### for some reason

Goodness ######## ##### alive, what the fuck are you talking about?
   873. greenback calls it soccer Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:35 PM (#4317726)
Manual transmissions are pointless if you live in any urbanized area and spend large amounts of time in bumper-to-bumper expressway traffic.

Shortly after I switched from a stick to an automatic many years ago, I was sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic. With a stick I would put it into neutral when we weren't moving, but for whatever reason I was taught not to do that on an automatic. So while I'm sitting in traffic in my automatic, I reach into the back seat to get something or another, and of course the car starts to drift forward. I would've rear-ended the guy if the car next to me hadn't honked at me.
   874. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:38 PM (#4317729)

Because it's cool. Chicks dig it.

Unless they're married, that is.

"If you still can't sell your wife on a VW, there's one more thing you can tell her about our stick.

After you use it for a couple of days, it becomes automatic."
   875. Group Captain Mandrake Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:40 PM (#4317732)
My brother just bought a new Tacoma and had the problem. He wanted the TRD off-road package with a standard trans., but you could only get it with auto.

I can even sort of see that, as they are both related to the drive train. But linking the roof type to the transmission type? It's sort of like going to a nice restaurant and ordering the filet with brown rice, and being told that the filet comes only with twice baked. If you want brown rice, you have to order the t-bone.
   876. Rants Mulliniks Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:43 PM (#4317735)
The GDP has doubled in terms of real dollars since 1989 and the GNP has tripled since then.

All built on debt that will never be repaid, and therefore an illusion. US consumer debt during this time frame has gone from about $3T to $11.4T trillion as of August, so your point is utterly moot.
   877. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:43 PM (#4317736)
Unless they're married, that is.

Well that monstrosity scares me too. I just want to drive through twisty mountain passes, not become a long-haul trucker.
   878. McCoy Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:44 PM (#4317737)
All built on debt that will never be repaid, and therefore an illusion. US consumer debt during this time frame has gone from about $3T to $11.4T trillion as of August, so your point is utterly moot.

But if it was built on gold it be real? Why? Your answer seems to be because people have confidence in gold. Well, that's the same argument for dollars.

So I don't have to repay my debt? Awesome. Could you inform the various banks and credit card companies hold the notes to my debt that I don't have to pay them?
   879. greenback calls it soccer Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:45 PM (#4317738)
All built on debt that will never be repaid, and therefore an illusion.

It's nice to know all those damn drones we built aren't real. Greenwald will have egg on his face.
   880. Langer Monk Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:47 PM (#4317740)
Because it's cool. Chicks dig it. And after you've driven stick for a few years you get antsy driving an automatic, thinking you should be doing something with your hands and feet.

And you can say "Punch it, Chewie!" while you drop it into 6th gear. You just look silly doing that in an automatic.
   881. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:49 PM (#4317745)
What a weird steakhouse. T-Bone steak and brown rice?
   882. Random Transaction Generator Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:50 PM (#4317747)
learning to drive stick is a good idea solely to have it in your pocket to lord over those who haven't

And to have any chance of winning on The Amazing Race.
   883. zonk Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:52 PM (#4317750)

Indeed -

My 'rents retired to Nevada and generally when I visit, I rent a car and always try to get a stick.

I learned to drive on a stick - and my first beater was a stick (a Chevy Vega! Bought it for $75 and drove it for about 3 months) - but my best manual transmission story occurred about 3-4 years later...

Working as a laborer for a construction company, we had a flatbed of scrap metal to take for recycling -- and he asked if I could drive it... now, this wasn't a SEMI, but it was something that frankly, was big enough that it probably should have had a CDL-licensed driver handling it. He just asked if I could drive stick - and of course, I said sure, and off I went...

This ####### thing had one of those tall 3,451 speed transmissions with a clutch that was more of a legpress exercise machine. This was in South Bend, IN - which may not be Chicago, but is certainly a decent sized city. Eventually, I decided that liberal use of the horn was a better methodology than actually trying to work the transmission. When I returned, and he asked if I had any problems - I simply said No, but I think that thing needs a new clutch... neglecting to mention it might not have before I left, while also puffing furiously on a cigarette to try to hide the smell of the workout I had given it.
   884. Srul Itza Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:53 PM (#4317752)
tshipman and formerly dp are of the belief that I need an alternate handle

How about "Nitpicker loudmouth with an obsessive need to have the last word"?

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
   885. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: December 05, 2012 at 01:55 PM (#4317757)
How about "Nitpicker loudmouth with an obsessive need to have the last word"?

I assume that it wasn't a surprise to you guys.
   886. Rants Mulliniks Posted: December 05, 2012 at 02:01 PM (#4317766)
that thing needs a new clutch... neglecting to mention it might not have before I left, while also puffing furiously on a cigarette to try to hide the smell of the workout I had given it.

I worked on a dairy farm for a few summers and one year they had a new clutch put in their 1979 1-ton. The first thing they had me do was ease it up against a telephone pole and "break it in" by riding the hell out of it until I couldn't stand the fumes in the cab any longer. The first and last time I ever heard about that requirement.
   887. Lassus Posted: December 05, 2012 at 02:04 PM (#4317768)

Better control over the car, but I assume some expert will tell me that's false.
   888. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: December 05, 2012 at 02:11 PM (#4317775)
You don't have the ride the brakes going down mountain roads.
   889. spike Posted: December 05, 2012 at 02:14 PM (#4317779)
You can't roll start an automatic. Manuals get better gas mileage too.
   890. Rants Mulliniks Posted: December 05, 2012 at 02:16 PM (#4317785)
I vastly prefer a standard, but my wife doesn't. You know the rest.
   891. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: December 05, 2012 at 02:17 PM (#4317787)

Better control over the car, but I assume some expert will tell me that's false.

I've driven nothing but stickshifts, from the VWifescarer to a Ford Focus, and every time I've driven an automatic it just feels, for a lack of a better word---wrong. And when you're driving and phoning in a city especially, it's nice that it forces you both to concentrate on the promptings to shift gears and to maintain your hand-eye coordination while shifting them with your left hand. With an automatic I might start to take too much for granted, which is never a good thing.
   892. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: December 05, 2012 at 02:20 PM (#4317792)

Well, it's a helluva lot cheaper to replace.
   893. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: December 05, 2012 at 02:21 PM (#4317793)
Manuals get better gas mileage too.

I think that's only marginally true now, certainly not to the degree it was in the past. Modern automatic transmissions are a fairly sophisticated beast.
   894. Bitter Mouse Posted: December 05, 2012 at 02:22 PM (#4317794)
Thanks for the reply by the way

China's economic gain over the past two decades has come directly at the expense of the west, most notably the US. I happen to think that is the result of overarching globalist policy more than Chinese influence, but that's besdie the point. China has been spending hundreds of billions a year building dams, highways, ports, power plants, subways while the US has an infrastructure deficit of well over $1 trillion. The annual trade deficit between the US and China is around half trillion dollars. This is all financed by the US Treasury and US-based multinationals, at the expence of US jobs and US infrastructure.

This is backwards and sideways in my opinion. China's growth helps the US, just like Canada or Europe doing well helps the US. In large part it is good that China is building up its infrastructure and bad the US is not, but we could build up our infrastructure also (except I suspect folks would rail against the taxes or debt needed to do that - this stuff costs money you know) - in fact we should have been and should be doing it now while the cost to do it is low (both low finacning and low labor costs).

The trade deficit has nothing to do with the why either nation built infrastructure or didn't. The trade deficit is not a bad thing. Really. People assume it is bad, but it is not. First of all every country can not be a net exporter, if anyone exports then someone has to import. Second what it means is the difference (the deficit) is (to a degree) the amount people have faith in the US. Nations are not households, if every nation tried to be a saver (rather than spending) it would be really bad.

What you don't understand is that we can't rewrite the laws of economics to save something that is destined to fail. Distressed economies and currencies can be saved, but not while we're still doing that which ###### it over in the first place - creatng more unsustainable debt not backed my anything of value.

Which laws of economics? And I ask because many things can cause nations to flag or fail, I know of nothign that would cause a worldwide collapse based in fiat money. The value is real, dams, roads, cars, haircuts, seeing a baseball game all of that has value completely independent on how that value is enumerated (gold or fiat). Claiming the method of enumeration debases the intrinsic value of something is very odd. If I build a house and then go backrupt the house still exists, its value is not tied up in my going bankrupt or how I financed it, its value comes from intrinsic and external factors (supply and demand).

All built on debt that will never be repaid, and therefore an illusion.

Poetic, but again how something is financed is not part of its value. Financing can reflect some systemic issue (see recent US history), bt that had little to do with fiat versus gold currency.
   895. Bitter Mouse Posted: December 05, 2012 at 02:24 PM (#4317800)
I am lazy. In totally unrelated news I drive an automatic.
   896. BDC Posted: December 05, 2012 at 02:31 PM (#4317804)
Modern automatic transmissions are a fairly sophisticated beast

Yes. Continuously-variable automatic transmissions are available on quite a few cars now – there's no comparison to manual transmissions; they're just inherently better. Back when you were asking a relatively dumb machine to do the same thing for you that you could do by shifting manually, there was an advantage to the manual, but not with these newer models.
   897. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: December 05, 2012 at 02:40 PM (#4317820)
Tangentially, those newish shifters where you go back and forth from auto to manual on the same conn, those are evil and wrong.
   898. zonk Posted: December 05, 2012 at 02:55 PM (#4317842)
Tangentially, those newish shifters where you go back and forth from auto to manual on the same conn, those are evil and wrong.

Yeah, but it looks cooler than trying to pretend your auto-on-the-floor is really a stick...
   899. Steve Treder Posted: December 05, 2012 at 02:56 PM (#4317845)
I've always preferred a stick, but I acknowledge that in most city driving it's a bit inconvenient. Just being able to drive with a stick is a handy skill, though. Last year I rented a minivan in Germany, to drive to Poland and do sightseeing with a carful of relatives/friends. The VW minivan was a stick. I'm pretty sure you can't get a standard transmission in the US if you wanted one.
   900. Jim Wisinski Posted: December 05, 2012 at 02:57 PM (#4317847)
I am lazy. In totally unrelated news I drive an automatic.

Hey, me too!

My Fit has those paddle shifter things that are supposed to let you operate it as manual to some degree. I've never bothered to learn how it works though.
Page 9 of 62 pages ‹ First  < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Ghost's Tryin' to Reason with Hurricane Season
for his generous support.