Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, September 19, 2013

[OT]The NBA Pre-Seaon Thread

Best shape of his life David Lee

Jordan Hill 1000 Jumpers a day

This one seems slightly more bizarre but in the same vain

Jeremy Lin says he’s trying to go for a different posture ... hmmmm

Meanwhile, some injury related news

1.Rondo and Avery Bradley will both miss preseason for the Celtics
2.Kobe likely to miss the pre season
3.Chris Singleton out 6-8 weeks with injury, Okafor out indefinitely with herniate disk ... you thought that the Wizards would eventually catch a break with injuries, guess not.
4.Andrew Bynum hasn’t resumed basketball activity, great sign there.

” cols=“100” rows=“20”>

Well, we’re a week away from training camp kick off for teams playing pre season off seas. and we’re already entering the equivalent of baseball’s preseason “best shape of his life” stuff… and of course, injuries that could potentially kill team’s hopes.

Some of your typical best shape of his life stuff….
Best shape of his life David Lee

Jordan Hill 1000 Jumpers a day

This one seems slightly more bizarre but in the same vain

Jeremy Lin says he’s trying to go for a different posture ... hmmmm

Meanwhile, some injury related news

1.Rondo and Avery Bradley will both miss preseason for the Celtics
2.Kobe likely to miss the pre season
3.Chris Singleton out 6-8 weeks with injury, Okafor out indefinitely with herniate disk ... you thought that the Wizards would eventually catch a break with injuries, guess not.
4.Andrew Bynum hasn’t resumed basketball activity, great sign there.

RollingWave Posted: September 19, 2013 at 10:05 PM | 410 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: nba

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 5 of 5 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5
   401. King Mekong Posted: October 11, 2013 at 03:24 PM (#4569386)
Yeah, from my reading Ziller was criticizing a point Goldsberry wasn't trying to make. His (Goldsberry's) metric wasn't there to measure the most valuable shooters, which is what it seemed like Ziller thought he should be doing. I'm going to re-read and see if I misunderstood either articles.

Edit: yes I think my memory was focusing on Ziller's 2nd point about value, though Ziller's third point about FT's also came at it from a value perspective. Again, Goldsberry was not trying to measure value.
   402. Der-K: Hipster doofus Posted: October 11, 2013 at 03:24 PM (#4569387)
   403. The District Attorney Posted: October 11, 2013 at 04:25 PM (#4569440)
If your the Sixers / Suns then tanking is reasonable as your hand is so bad that you might as well fold, but at this point some folks are essentially saying you should fold your full house because it's not a Royal Flush, which is insane.
Seems to me like it depends in large part on your market. One enormous reason why it didn't make sense for Houston to raze the earth is because it was very plausible that, if you could just get the team to be decent, players would want to go there. Huge market, large African-American population, no state tax, pretty good history of team success (including during the period when current players were in their formative years), etc.

On the other hand, take Toronto. They are not awful at all. They probably are one minor star player away from the playoffs. But how are they ever going to get that player? It's very likely that the only way they can acquire a star is by drafting one. There's no path forward for them. So I'd be quicker to tank with Toronto than I would with e.g. Orlando, even though Toronto currently has more talent.
   404. Booey Posted: October 11, 2013 at 07:11 PM (#4569598)
Anyone want to kick off the thread predictions?

I guess I'll give it a shot, but I reserve the right to change my predictions at any time in the next few weeks when other people start posting theirs and they make points I may have overlooked. I admit I haven't paid as much attention to offseason moves and injuries this summer as I usually do. Too much focus on nonsense like getting married and all that junk.

WEST

1) Spurs: 59-23
2) Clips: 58-24
3) Thunder: 55-27
4) Rockets: 53-29
5) Grizz: 52-30
6) Warriors: 50-32
7) Mavs: 45-37
8) Nuggets: 44-38

Spurs - I've been expecting them to start dropping off a bit for several years now cuz, well, basic human aging patterns says that they should. Yeah, I'm done with that. They're immortal.

Clips - Regular season record was already really good. Having a real coach should make more of a difference in the playoffs.

Thunder - Lost a bit of confidence in them until we see how Westbrook does when he comes back.

Rockets - A wide range of possibilities. Nothing from a 1st round exit to a Finals appearance would surprise me.

Grizz - Pretty much the same as last year. Regular season record may have been a little above their true ability level.

Warriors - Young team that should improve a bit. Still scary in playoffs, like Nuggets found out last year.

Mavs - Even with Dirks injury, still won 41 games last year.

Nuggets - I thought last years record was well above their true ability level already, and with all the changes I don't see them coming anywhere near it again.

EAST

1) Bulls: 58-24
2) Heat: 57-25
3) Pacers: 54-28
4) Nets: 52-30
5) Knicks: 49-33
6) Hawks: 45-37
7) Wizards: 40-42
8) Pistons: 39-43

Bulls - Look really good on paper.

Heat - May have a little regular season complacency. Plus Wade isn't a Spur, so he'll continue to age.

Pacers - Should improve on last year's record. Paul George and Roy Hibbert seem to have serious star potential.

Nets - Like RR has mentioned, this might be a historically great team if it was 2008. But it's not, and some of their key players are fossils.

Knicks - Overachieved last year IMO and should fall back a bit with increased conference strength.

Hawks - Kept Horford and had some good pickups. That's enough to keep them decent, no?

Wiz/Pistons - Ugh. Neither of them looks like a playoff team to me, but SOMEONE has to fill these spots by default.

PLAYOFFS:

West

(1)Spurs over (8)Nuggets
(2)Clippers over (7)Mavs
(6)Warriors over (3)Thunder (UPSET!!!)
(5)Grizz over (4)Rockets

(1)Spurs over (5)Grizz
(2)Clippers over (6)Warriors

(2)Clippers over (1)Spurs

East

(1)Bulls over (8)Pistons
(2)Heat over (7)Wizards
(3)Pacers over (6)Hawks
(4)Nets over (5)Knicks

(1)Bulls over (4)Nets
(2)Heat over (3)Pacers

(2)Heat over (1)Bulls

Finals

(2)Heat over (2)Clippers

With a real coach, Chris Paul finally gets his deep playoff run. But the LeBron's are still the champs until someone proves otherwise.
   405. NJ in DC Posted: October 11, 2013 at 07:58 PM (#4569622)
kpelton, the Shabazz line in the Wolves preview was hilarious. Good stuff.

EDIT: Too much focus on nonsense like getting married and all that junk.

Congrats, that will be me next summer/fall.
   406. Fear is Moses Taylor's Bacon Bits Posted: October 11, 2013 at 09:12 PM (#4569693)
I will do my predictions soon, haven't thought too much about it. But thanks to Booey, I'm going to be rooting big time for the Thunder and Warriors to play in the first round. I think that might be the most entertaining series I could imagine for this season. That would be awesome to watch.

----

I love Noah.
   407. NJ in DC Posted: October 12, 2013 at 12:36 AM (#4570125)
kpelton, having read the Wolves preview the thing that jumps out to me is their projected D-Rtg. I was hoping it would be explained in the preview but it wasn't. Would you be able to go into that at all?
   408. RollingWave Posted: October 12, 2013 at 04:41 AM (#4570244)
I think we should do a new thread for the predictions.

409. kpelton Posted: October 12, 2013 at 08:34 AM (#4570257)
kpelton, having read the Wolves preview the thing that jumps out to me is their projected D-Rtg. I was hoping it would be explained in the preview but it wasn't. Would you be able to go into that at all?

Their projection for opponent eFG% is 23rd, but they rate top-10 in the other three of the four factors (they were 11th/5th/3rd in DR%/FTR/TO% last year). Love's rebounding and Brewer's and Rubio's steal rates all factor into that. So part of the issue is that SCHOENE regresses opponent shooting to the mean much more heavily than anything else since it's more difficult to predict, so even though that's projected as a weakness, that doesn't carry quite as much weight as it will in reality.

If we just bump them down to an average defense, their projection drops from 51.4 wins to 48.5, and so on and so forth.
   410. King Mekong Posted: October 13, 2013 at 01:43 PM (#4571130)
Page 5 of 5 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
aleskel
for his generous support.