Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Padres CEO Tom Garfinkel Compared Zack Greinke to Rain Man, Quickly Apologized [Audio]

Zack doesn’t even like Wapner!

Padres CEO and Team President Tom Garfinkel spoke with season ticket holders last Friday, less than 48 hours after the Zack Greinke/ Carlos Quentin incident that resulted in Greinke breaking his collarbone. Yahoo Sports obtained audio of Garfinkel’s talk. Garfinkel was of the belief that Greinke was throwing at Quentin intentionally, and explained-away it being a 2-1 game and a 3-2 count by comparing Zack Greinke to Raymond Babbitt.

“Zack Greinke is a different kind of guy. Anybody seen Rain Man? [crowd laughs] He is a very smart guy. He has Social Anxiety Disorder. He doesn’t interact well with his team, he doesn’t interact with his teammates.”

Garfinkle probably recognized that he had crossed some sort of line there. Later in the same talk, he added, ”This is my opinion, and I can’t say this publicly. Well, this is public, we are in the Trust Tree here.”

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: April 18, 2013 at 11:28 AM | 106 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dodgers, movies, padres, rain man, social anxiety, tom garfinkel, zack greinke

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. ellsbury my heart at wounded knee Posted: April 19, 2013 at 02:49 AM (#4418896)
Huh. This got much more contentious than I thought, although I guess a lot of discussions around a HBP/mound charge seem to get testy for some reason.
   102. Ivan Grushenko of Hong Kong Posted: April 19, 2013 at 03:24 AM (#4418934)
Sounds like Garfinkle is an idiot-savant....great at making money and terrible at everything else.
   103. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: April 19, 2013 at 03:38 AM (#4418944)
Yea, totally, look at the thread from the original article here. I think Quentin was called an ape in...wait for it...the first comment. Classy.

Whoa wait. As others have said, my use of "ape" there had nothing to do with Quentin's race and everything to do with meat-headed response to getting hit by the pitch. You're inferring meaning to my comment that's just not there. Now, if Quentin and Grienke had just had a heated verbal exchange and I'd made the same comment, then sure, you'd be on to something.

Hell, I got halfway through this thread before I realized that the "ape" comment in question was something I'd written. Like someone else pointed out, is that even a derogatory term generally associated with Hispanics? When used as a racial insult, it's been toward, well... you know.
   104. Jack Carter, calling Beleaguered Castle Posted: April 19, 2013 at 04:53 AM (#4418992)
Easy.. You ignore it. I don't get why it matters whether he has been hit 1 time or 1000 times. He was hit and charged the mound. That simple. It means he's a hot head. He has been holding a grudge since 2009... How can you look at that and not conclude he has some anger issues?

Or, how can you look at Quentin not charging the mound all the other times he's been hit, and holding his temper with Greinke since 2009, and not conclude he has a lot of self-control?

It seems like the entirety of the judgment of Quentin's character hangs on the fragility of Greinke's collarbone.
   105. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: April 19, 2013 at 08:40 AM (#4419059)
This is, beyond a doubt, the single most idiotic comment I've encountered here during that time...even after grading on the "SugarBear being contrarian simply for kicks" curve.

Nah, it's not even a contender for most idiotic comment on this thread.

Really, dude. If someone here were to start a thread entitled "2+2=4", you'd put up two dozen posts to argue that it's 5.

If there's a dustup between a pitcher and a hitter and people are ranting and raving in favor of the pitcher because the hitter's a headcase and nutjob, and the pitcher is Zack Grienke ... well, at that point we're pretty far afield from 2+2=4.
   106. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: April 19, 2013 at 09:25 AM (#4419108)
It seems like the entirety of the judgment of Quentin's character hangs on the fragility of Greinke's collarbone.

I think that's some of it. However, I'd read that he had a temper long before this thing went down.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
HowardMegdal
for his generous support.