Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Patrick Corbin tears UCL, could miss 2014 Diamondbacks season

An MRI on Diamondbacks left-hander Patrick Corbin’s left elbow showed a tear in his ulnar collateral ligament, the team announced Sunday, and it appears he could be headed toward season-ending Tommy John surgery.

Even if he doesn’t need surgery, Corbin likely won’t be pitching anytime soon, a crushing blow for a team with designs on contending in the National League West.

Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: March 16, 2014 at 01:14 PM | 16 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: arizona, diamondbacks, health, medicine, tommy john surgery

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Select Storage Device Posted: March 16, 2014 at 08:14 PM (#4672543)
The Diamondback FO has released a statement that Corbin will be cut tomorrow and quote "hashtag wussification of America."
   2. Graham & the 15-win "ARod Vortex of suck" Posted: March 16, 2014 at 08:30 PM (#4672546)
Yes, but will he throw at opposing players for no good reason?
   3. Walt Davis Posted: March 16, 2014 at 08:48 PM (#4672553)
Who was the pitcher who never had a UCL? Maybe that's what insane parents should be thinking about -- remove his UCL at 7 and then teach him to pitch without it. He'll last forever!
   4. Avoid running at all times.-S. Paige Posted: March 16, 2014 at 08:54 PM (#4672556)
#3- Isn't it R.A. Dickey?
   5. RJ in TO Posted: March 16, 2014 at 08:56 PM (#4672559)
Who was the pitcher who never had a UCL? Maybe that's what insane parents should be thinking about -- remove his UCL at 7 and then teach him to pitch without it. He'll last forever!

R. A. Dickey.
   6. Arbitol Dijaler Posted: March 16, 2014 at 09:36 PM (#4672572)
More impetus to trade Gregorius?

Why is his asking price so high? Not a hitter. Some undocumented stellar defensive reputation?
   7. Yastrzemski in left. Posted: March 16, 2014 at 10:38 PM (#4672603)
Too bad. Kid looked real good.
   8. Knock on any Iorg Posted: March 17, 2014 at 12:02 AM (#4672617)
2014 will go down as the Year of Tommy John Surgery.
   9. Walt Davis Posted: March 17, 2014 at 12:09 AM (#4672618)
Why is his asking price so high? Not a hitter. Some undocumented stellar defensive reputation?

Nobody thought much of Gregorius except Towers who traded ... eh, one of those top pitching prospects, I can't keep em straight ... for him so (a) Towers clearly likes him and (b) he's got to trade him for something good or he'll look silly.* And, while there's no good reason to think he'll keep it up, he hit just fine for a SS last year and was average overall. I'm not sure there's any reason to consider him worse than Iglesias -- probably better defender (Rfield average though) but an even worse hitter in the minors -- and he pulled in Peavy (or Garcia depending on how you look at it).

* Trading for a guy who doesn't work out probably looks less silly than trading the guy for 1/4 of what you traded to get him a mere one year after the first trade.
   10. Jim (jimmuscomp) Posted: March 17, 2014 at 12:10 AM (#4672619)
Corbin was an Angel farmhand back in 2010 and I've followed him and Skaggs since the first (or second!) Haren trade. Too bad. He looked good last year.
   11. shoewizard Posted: March 17, 2014 at 12:21 AM (#4672620)
This is really pretty bad news of course. I didn't think Corbin was really 4 or 5 WAR pitcher or anything like that, but probably a solid 2.5-3.0, with at least a decent chance to exceed my rather modest expectations.

I don't think it's the blow to playoff contention a lot of D Backs fans think though, because if you replace a 3 WAR Corbin with a 1.5-2.0 WAR Delgado or Bradley, does that cause you to fall out of playoff contention in the first place ? I kinda doubt it. Even if you slide a 3.0 WAR Corbin out and replace with the number 7 starter at replacement level, the D Backs contention gap is probably still even greater than that. The People that think this is the death blow to D Backs playoff hopes are the people that think Corbin's pre all star break results are his true talent level.

As for Trade value......they won't get much for Didi. They are not going to get a top 10-20 starting pitching prospect for him, and they are not going to get more than back of rotation end filler if they trade for a "proven major leaguer". They are much better off holding on to Didi and seeing if he can ever learn to hit lefties, or if Owings can ever learn to take a walk consistently.

If the D Backs are 7-10 games out by the ASB and Aaron Hill is having another good year, (.300/.362/.500 131 OPS+ in 1172 D Back Plate Appearances) they can move Hill for a good return, and provided Owings is not a bust, then move Owings to 2b and slot Didi back to SS.

12. shoewizard Posted: March 17, 2014 at 02:17 AM (#4672629)
The Human side of this

That is one devastated young man. Heartbreaking.
   13. sinicalypse Posted: March 17, 2014 at 07:44 AM (#4672645)
you know, i remember corbin coming out of nowhere to roll with a 2.something ERA for most of the season before he hit the wall in late august (with something like 8ER in a game right at the end of aug) and his ERA jumped up a run when it was all said and done at the season's end. it makes me wonder if going into the 2013 season he tweaked out something with his mechanics or started throwing another pitch which obviously helped him find some pretty great success, but ultimately took it's toll and hurt his arm. then he soldiered on through the rest of the season, figuring that an offseason's rest would cure what ails him.... but then you get to spring training and BLAM, this happens.

it's unfortunate that this happens to the guy, but hey he's 24 and has plenty of time to recover from this. and considering his performance for ~80% of the season last year, i'm sure the diamondbacks will give him every chance to recover. the other thing i think i remember correctly about the guy is that him and skaggs were really good buddies and looking forward to breaking into the team together, and now this while tyler tries to reclaim his prospecty status/career out in los angleles of angleheim. best of luck to both of these lads on their quest for baseball immortality.
   14. Brian Posted: March 17, 2014 at 09:19 AM (#4672667)
Does this mean Bradley starts the year in the Majors?
   15. shoewizard Posted: March 17, 2014 at 09:29 AM (#4672673)
His velocity was up last year...and actually up towards the end of the season, but he may have been overthrowing to compensate. The spread between his FB and Change and Slider narrowed quite a bit, due to a marked increase in velo in the Change and Slider. My theory is that the ineffectiveness was because of the closed gap...he was more hittable because he wasn't disrupting timing as well. But of course if he was tired and over throwing..well...that's a recipe for injury.

The other thing is he had only thrown 13 IP in spring, and all of a sudden he is out there for the 7th inning and 90 + pitches trying to get ready for Australia start.......not good.

Bradley may start in the majors, but is the difference between Bradley and Delgado for 6 weeks worth giving up a year of Brdleys control ?

Then again.......With McCarthy around, the odds are they will need them both sooner rather than later.
   16. Davo's Favorite Tacos Are Moose Tacos Posted: March 17, 2014 at 10:48 AM (#4672709)
More impetus to trade Gregorius?
The Tigers just lost their shortstop for the year, and apparently have so many extra starting pitchers they can afford to trade Doug Fister for magic beans. Seems like a decent fit.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama
for his generous support.