Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Perry: Braves pass on ‘screaming Indian’ hat logo

The reality is that in 2013 this is what is known as “a smart business decision.”

Quelle surprise.

spike Posted: February 12, 2013 at 11:14 AM | 222 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: braves

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3
   201. base ball chick Posted: February 13, 2013 at 05:21 PM (#4369043)

ok andy, i looked and looked and looked and have not the FAINTEST idea bout the cotton bowl one - the first one - maybe because it's about Dogs fornicating with cats? or something???

figured i'd better repost
sux being the lAST post on a page
   202. Ray (RDP) Posted: February 13, 2013 at 05:32 PM (#4369052)
figured i'd better repost
sux being the lAST post on a page

I've never understood why people do this. Why? I do not skip the last post on a page. Who skips the last post? I get to the end of the page and I turn it. Just like reading a book.

When I return to a thread, I pick up where I left off. Even if the thread is now on a subsequent page. I mean, sure, if it's a week later I'm not going back to read all of the posts I missed -- but, then, the "last post" on a page isn't getting read whether it was the last post or the first post.
   203. Bitter Mouse Posted: February 13, 2013 at 05:48 PM (#4369059)
I've never understood why people do this. Why? I do not skip the last post on a page. Who skips the last post? I get to the end of the page and I turn it. Just like reading a book.

I guess some people jump in and don't read past posts. Personally I am obsessive and read them all (OK I admit I skip some really long and boring posts, I admit it).

I am glad to have an x01 post because I hate getting stuck in x00 land, so reposting the 99 post doesn't offend me.

EDIT: In summary I suppose I don't get it either, but it doesn't bother me.
   204. Jolly Old St. Nick Still Gags in October Posted: February 13, 2013 at 05:58 PM (#4369075)
ok andy, i looked and looked and looked and have not the FAINTEST idea bout the cotton bowl one - the first one - maybe because it's about Dogs fornicating with cats? or something???

The first one wasn't turned down by Princeton because the Tiger had been killed and made into a rug. That was the reason that everyone I've shown this to has guessed, but Princeton was actually fine with their cartoon mascot being depicted as a Yale rug, bless their hearts.

No, the objection was from Yale, which didn't like the idea of their bulldog "endorsing tobacco products" by puffing on a victory pipe with a "Y" embossed on it. Two different distributors of ours have submitted this image a total of 3 or 4 times in the hope of finding a different person on the licensing committee, but so far no luck with that. Well, it's their university.

And the second one was even more bizarre, if that's possible. It was rejected by Texas because the line at the top of the page reads "Texas University" instead of the correct "University of Texas". Lisa, I swear I am not making this up.
   205. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: February 13, 2013 at 05:59 PM (#4369076)
I think that some people just hit the "Last" button on the hot topic list to catch up on a thread -- if the thread has flipped to a new page, they just skip the posts on the previous page that came after their last visit. I don't know how common that is. I try to read all the posts.
   206. Ray (RDP) Posted: February 13, 2013 at 06:03 PM (#4369079)
I think that some people just hit the "Last" button on the hot topic list to catch up on a thread -- if the thread has flipped to a new page, they just skip the posts on the previous page that came after their last visit. I don't know how common that is. I try to read all the posts.

But then the "last post" is only marginally more unlikely to be read than the post before that, and the post before that.

207. Jolly Old St. Nick Still Gags in October Posted: February 13, 2013 at 06:05 PM (#4369080)

Same here, but I can't blame someone who puts a lot of time and effort into a long post, only to see it ignored by people who only read the posts on the current page. I don't re-post very often, but it's the same reason I often copy and paste the dialogue from posts that were up the page before adding a comment of my own.
   208. McCoy Posted: February 13, 2013 at 06:14 PM (#4369088)
No, the objection was from Yale, which didn't like the idea of their bulldog "endorsing tobacco products" by puffing on a victory pipe with a "Y" embossed on it. Two different distributors of ours have submitted this image a total of 3 or 4 times in the hope of finding a different person on the licensing committee, but so far no luck with that. Well, it's their university.

Called it.
   209. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: February 13, 2013 at 06:14 PM (#4369089)
If I'm ever the last post on a page, I try to repost it on the top of the next page, just to annoy Ray.
   210. McCoy Posted: February 13, 2013 at 06:20 PM (#4369094)
I usually go option J on the last post of the page.

The worst kind of last post is the "flip" post. Posting that doesn't actually flip the page.
   211. Jolly Old St. Nick Still Gags in October Posted: February 13, 2013 at 06:25 PM (#4369101)

Called it.

And given the inbred logical system that they're employing, it does make sense, but if you'd seen that cover for the first time and were told it had been rejected on one ground alone, without knowing which school had vetoed it, wouldn't your first impulse have been to suspect the animal rights crowd complaining about the poor Tiger?
   212. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: February 13, 2013 at 06:27 PM (#4369105)
And the second one was even more bizarre, if that's possible. It was rejected by Texas because the line at the top of the page reads "Texas University" instead of the correct "University of Texas". Lisa, I swear I am not making this up.

I was gonna suggest that, but I misread your post as alluding to objections to the image (rather than the wording) on the poster ... though in such cases I suppose they're the same thing.
   213. Jolly Old St. Nick Still Gags in October Posted: February 13, 2013 at 06:36 PM (#4369111)
I don't know what your current salary is, gef, but I'd bet you could double it as a roving adviser to collegiate licensing committees. Insight like you just displayed is truly a rare gift. (smile)
   214. Greg Franklin Posted: February 13, 2013 at 06:59 PM (#4369128)
btf wiki: Turn the Page
   215. Ray (RDP) Posted: February 13, 2013 at 07:35 PM (#4369153)
I don't re-post very often

Pardon?
   216. franoscar Posted: February 13, 2013 at 08:48 PM (#4369185)
There is so much sneering at people who are "different". Which, often, means just like most of us. Look at the constant contempt for fat people (and what percentage of this country is fat?). For old people. For ungainly people. For people who don't dress up to go to WalMart? Or for people who do dress up to go to WalMart? For people who shop at WalMart.

And also,while I think it would be great if they banned meat at every university in the country, including my workplace, it would be even greater if they banned smoking. I don't understand why we don't have a smoke-free campus! I don't understand why every campus isn't smoke-free!

We tell students we care about their health, we care about their well-being, and then we don't give them the basic discipline of not being able to smoke whenever they feel like it. At least tell them that we don't think it is a good idea!

Fran
   217. Jolly Old St. Nick Still Gags in October Posted: February 13, 2013 at 08:52 PM (#4369187)
I don't re-post very often

Pardon?

Meaning I seldom do what Lisa just did in #201. Not that there's anything wrong with it.
   218. Srul Itza Posted: February 13, 2013 at 08:59 PM (#4369190)
I don't understand why every campus isn't smoke-free!

Man, that would certainly have harshed my buzz, back in the day.
   219. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: February 13, 2013 at 09:14 PM (#4369200)
Ole Miss was a dry campus when I was there. Except on football weekends, when the cops looked the other way while 8 year-old girls in summer dresses lugged gallon jugs of wine from the family sedan to the family tailgate tent.
   220. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: February 13, 2013 at 09:27 PM (#4369204)
I really enjoy sneering.
   221. flournoy Posted: February 13, 2013 at 10:09 PM (#4369218)

I do this. That's how I got to this page, in fact. I have no intention of reading the previous page, nor the half of the posts on this page that I skipped. I doubt I missed much.
   222. OsunaSakata Posted: February 14, 2013 at 04:14 PM (#4369807)
Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam M
for his generous support.