Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Photo of the day: Bill Murray, indy league ticket-taker

Actor Bill Murray—America’s Best FriendTM—is of course part owner of the independent-league St. Paul Saints, and the Saints on Thursday bid final adieu to Midway Stadium, their home yard for lo these many years. To mark the occasion, Mr. Murray showed up and performed the tasks of the otherwise overlooked and taken-for-granted ticket-taker ...

A movie theater in my area was playing Ghostbusters in honor of the 30th anniversary.  1) Great call by the theater, 2) Great movie.  Took my daughter to it, she loved it and asked me why they don’t make movies like that anymore.  Man, I wish I knew the answer to that one…

Robert in Manhattan Beach Posted: August 31, 2014 at 02:35 AM | 131 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: bill murray, minors

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Spahn Insane Posted: September 02, 2014 at 12:15 AM (#4783450)
Flip/repost:

22/cardsfanboy:

I'm not a particular fan of his, but "Flirting With Disaster" is a good Ben Stiller movie.

102. Bunny Vincennes Posted: September 02, 2014 at 12:27 AM (#4783454)
Spahny! I see you have been around a bit of late. I'll be in Chicago the next two weekends. I miss you.
   103. Robert in Manhattan Beach Posted: September 02, 2014 at 02:27 AM (#4783472)

I would dispute the earlier claim (by an entirely different poster) that comedy is dead. The style of comedy that is popular has just changed (and will do so again in the near future I assume).

Well, not dead but the number of comedies released and the money they are making are way, way down. Mostly because they do nothing internationally.

Comedies that would fit right in during the 80's. Hell, some of these would have been picked up as tv sitcoms as well.

Well, no. What a strange post.

I think we can all agree that "Ghostbusters" really isn't a PG movie.

Oh please. A few rough edges, my nine year old and I navigated it just fine.

I'm a third of the way through this Google Ad called The Internship tonight. It is upsettingly unfunny. It's hurts to watch Vaughn and Wilson slog through this.

Edit: But still an hour left on 'Enemy of the State' over on HBO-E. Done and done. I love the technology they thought we had/would have in 1998. Somebody just commented that the satellite can only look straight down! If that's the case, I really don't need to go to work tomorrow. We'll never be able to deliver on our contract.

Edit2: Hackman just informed us that the government has over 100 spy satellites spying on us. In 1998. Awesome! I guess you need a lot when they can only look straight down.
   104. zonk Posted: September 02, 2014 at 07:38 AM (#4783489)
I think this may be the most underrated comedy of all time. This has smart and dumb humour, verbal jokes and visual jokes, adult and child-friendly moments, and a plotline that really could spin off in any direction, keeping it fresh and funny.

I think it (Fish called Wanda) deserves to be in consideration - though, I was going to call it a horrifically underrated film - but looking it up on Wikipedia, I do see:

In 2000, the readers of Total Film magazine voted A Fish Called Wanda the 37th greatest comedy film of all time.[citation needed] In 2004 the same magazine named it the 41st greatest British film of all time.[citation needed] In 2000, the American Film Institute ranked the film 21st on AFI's 100 Years...100 Laughs, its list of the 100 funniest movies ever made.[10] The film is number 27 on Bravo's "100 Funniest Movies".[11] It is also included in the Reader's Digest "100 Funniest Films" list.[12] As of November 2013, the movie holds a 93% rating on Rotten Tomatoes

Plus there's the Academy Award for Kline and the BAFTA for Cleese.

I guess it's mostly a matter of it virtually never being mentioned in the first breath of funniest films ever... but maybe that's appropriate because I do remember thinking after the first time seeing it that it was "really good" but not great. It's only after repeated viewings that it sort of reached that level in my mind. Though, I think that's kind of par for British comedies... The good ones tend to grow in stature with repeated viewings.
   105. Random Transaction Generator Posted: September 02, 2014 at 08:44 AM (#4783515)

Huh. I didn't realize it had been on those lists. I'm glad to see that people appreciate it (or did back in early part of this century).
You're right that it is never mentioned at first when people talk about funniest films.

So what is the worst comedy you've actually watched all the way through?
I nominate "The Animal", which someone else rented on "movie night" back in the day.
   106. Greg K Posted: September 02, 2014 at 09:16 AM (#4783531)
So what is the worst comedy you've actually watched all the way through?

Maybe Drillbit Taylor? Watched it on a plane, and it was pretty bad. Does Spice World count? Bonus points for seeing it multiple times. More recently Movie 43 was an abomination
   107. zonk Posted: September 02, 2014 at 09:26 AM (#4783532)
I think the worst comedy I've seen all the way through is probably Clifford - I really liked Martin Short at the time so was relatively looking forward to seeing it. I was crushed and honestly haven't been able to appreciate Short ever since.

Oddly, there are several universally panned comedies that I rather like -- not in the sense that I'd call them "great", but in the sense that I like them well enough that I do rewatch them if they pop-up on cable. Year One, for example, tends to show up on 'worst' lists and I wouldn't call it a great film, but I do like it. The script is terrible, but I think most of the performances really make the most of awful material. Freddy Got Fingered, of course, is a great polarizer - but I liked it.
   108. bunyon Posted: September 02, 2014 at 09:37 AM (#4783537)
A movie theater in my area was playing Ghostbusters in honor of the 30th anniversary. 1) Great call by the theater, 2) Great movie. Took my daughter to it, she loved it and asked me why they don’t make movies like that anymore. Man, I wish I knew the answer to that one…

That was a nationwide re-release... of course they are thinking of remaking Ghostbusters, with an all female cast.....

"Everything was fine with our system until the power grid was shut off by dickless here. "

"Um, you'll have to be more specific."
   109. Greg K Posted: September 02, 2014 at 09:37 AM (#4783538)
Year One, for example, tends to show up on 'worst' lists and I wouldn't call it a great film, but I do like it. The script is terrible, but I think most of the performances really make the most of awful material. Freddy Got Fingered, of course, is a great polarizer - but I liked it.

I'd agree on both. I was a huge Tom Green fan in high school, and speaking of movie ratings, Freddy Got Fingered is the first and only movie I got "carded" for. Which was weird, to that point it didn't even really occur to me that movie ratings were actually enforced.

Other comedies I like that I get the sense are generally aren't considered classics:

Hot Rod (a typical SNL movie, but somehow it works for me)
Goon (which I think is genius, but seems to get little play)
Hoodwinked (which I don't usually see when animated movies are listed, but I quite liked)

110. Joe Bivens, Minor Genius Posted: September 02, 2014 at 09:46 AM (#4783548)
Not too many liked Shakes the Clown, but I enjoyed it. Peppy was wonderfully vindictive.
   111. zonk Posted: September 02, 2014 at 09:48 AM (#4783549)
Coneheads would be my entrant into the SNL genre that gets too much grief... Again - not a great movie by any stretch, and I completely get that most folks would say that it pales before the original skits.

Still - it's got a great cast that make the most out of a subpar script and pedestrian though it is, I do think the plotline is a nice little slice of Americana.

Again, not trying to puff it any sort of great film... I'm just saying it's on my list of "unfairly maligned films".
   112. zonk Posted: September 02, 2014 at 09:51 AM (#4783552)
Also on my list of unfairly maligned films -- and perhaps a timely mention with the passing of Robin Williams -- Death to Smoochy.... though, has that one sort of crossed over enough to cult status such that it no longer qualifies?

I legitimately liked Death to Smoochy. Maybe not top 100 great comedies, but it would make my list of contenders. It's big problem is that it's a bit disjointed - the pieces don't all totally fit - Danny Devito's direction is subpar getting everyone completely on the same page, but it still works, I think.
   113. Dock Ellis on Acid Posted: September 02, 2014 at 10:01 AM (#4783560)
My vote for worst comedy is Napoleon Dynamite. I know comedy is subjective and all but I hated that movie with a passion.

As for universally panned comedies that show up on Worst Of lists, Dude Where's My Car is one I actually enjoyed.
   114. Esmailyn Gonzalez Sr. Posted: September 02, 2014 at 10:36 AM (#4783586)
My vote for BEST comedy is Napoleon Dynamite.
   115. PreservedFish Posted: September 02, 2014 at 10:48 AM (#4783606)
Billy Murray did an AMA on Reddit that was tremendous, and the best part is his explanation of why he took the starring voice-role in Garfield. I don't know if this story has been repeated as often as it deserves to be.

I had a hilarious experience with Garfield. I only read a few pages of it, and I kind of wanted to do a cartoon movie, because I had looked at the screenplay and it said "Joel Cohen" on it.
And I wasn't thinking clearly, but it was spelled Cohen, not Coen.
I love the Coen brothers movies. I think that Joel Coen is a wonderful comedic mind.
So I didn't really bother to finish the script, I thought "he's great, I'll do it."

By the time he gets in to do his lines - and realize his error - the entirety of the movie has been filmed. And it's terrible. Hilarity ensues.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1vhjag/bill_murray_here_ok_ill_talk_ill_talk/

116. McCoy Posted: September 02, 2014 at 02:15 PM (#4783829)
Guess who did the voice of Garfield in Garfield 2?
   117. Swoboda is freedom Posted: September 02, 2014 at 02:19 PM (#4783832)

They drove a dump truck full of money up to the house! He's not made of stone!
   118. Manny Coon Posted: September 02, 2014 at 02:32 PM (#4783840)
Billy Murray did an AMA on Reddit that was tremendous, and the best part is his explanation of why he took the starring voice-role in Garfield.

I just figured he was the natural choice since Peter Venkman in Real Ghostbusters was done by Lorenzo Music who was Garfield's voice for years and passed away before the Garfield movie.
   119. Super Creepy Derek Lowe (GGC) Posted: September 02, 2014 at 03:15 PM (#4783896)

Joe Lieberman?
   120. Super Creepy Derek Lowe (GGC) Posted: September 02, 2014 at 03:59 PM (#4783951)
"Night at the Museum"

IMO, that's a kid's movie.
   121. Depressoteric feels Royally blue these days Posted: September 02, 2014 at 07:17 PM (#4784155)
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1vhjag/bill_murray_here_ok_ill_talk_ill_talk/
Best part of this Reddit (other than that Murray comes across as a genuinely thoughtful, sweet guy)? The part where Snoop Dogg (the real one) just drops in at random to say "hey man, remember that time when we smoked up? That was great!"
   122. toratoratora Posted: September 02, 2014 at 08:09 PM (#4784173)
My vote for worst comedy is Napoleon Dynamite. I know comedy is subjective and all but I hated that movie with a passion.

As for universally panned comedies that show up on Worst Of lists, Dude Where's My Car is one I actually enjoyed.

I support both these contentions.
ND was the dumbest movie I've ever seen. Great preview, looked forward to seeing it, heard good things, then watched it and spent all movie waiting for something, anything, to happen.
   123. McCoy Posted: September 02, 2014 at 09:27 PM (#4784209)
I support the view that both of the movies are pretty bad but I will admit that I was able to watch all of Dude Where's My Car while I was only able to watch 20 or 30 minutes of ND.
   124. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: September 02, 2014 at 09:28 PM (#4784210)
Goon (which I think is genius, but seems to get little play)
yes. yes. god yes.
great ####### movie. so good in fact that there's apparently a sequel in the works.

125. Howie Menckel Posted: September 02, 2014 at 09:43 PM (#4784220)
I've never been a big movie-goer, but this is the only one I ever walked out of the theater on:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078766/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

Americathon, 1979, cast included Meat Loaf, Fred Willard, Harvey Korman, John Ritter, Tommy Lasorda (!), and a young Jay Leno and Elvis Costello among others.

126. Random Transaction Generator Posted: September 02, 2014 at 10:08 PM (#4784234)
I used to go to A LOT of movies, and the only one that I've wanted to walk out on was "Judge Dredd" (the Stallone one from the '90s).
I would have left the theatre, except that I was new to the city (having moved here for a job), I had no friends/places to go, it was a heatwave (100+), and I had no air conditioning in my (sparse) apartment. So I decided to stay and eat my popcorn, drink my coke, and enjoy the A/C in the theatre.
How bad is the movie? The best part of the movie is anything involving *Rob Schnieder*.

Oh, and I've only ever fallen asleep in a theatre while watching a movie, and that was "Tron : Legacy", that incredibly dull/stupid sequel from a few years ago.
I remember watching it, being REALLY bored, then blinking, and realizing that I missed a good chunk of the movie as I had no idea what was happening at the end.
(I also fell asleep watching the Robin Williams movie "What Dreams May Come" on DVD at a friend's place, but that wasn't so bad because everyone else watching the movie (3 others) did as well.)
   127. Greg K Posted: September 02, 2014 at 10:42 PM (#4784250)
Oh, and I've only ever fallen asleep in a theatre while watching a movie, and that was "Tron : Legacy"

My friend and I were once wandering around London all day, and noticed that some theatre was doing a showing of the Kurosawa film "Ikiru", which is my friend's favourite movie. By the time we got there we'd been walking for about 7-8 hours, the last two of which he'd been going on about how good it was. But it turns out the walking kind of exhausted him because he slept through most of it. He was very, very, very annoyed with himself afterwards.

I kind of did that opposite one weekend in Dublin. Friday I spent all day drinking (I arrived at 10am, too early to check into the hotel, so I went to the nearby Jameson distillery. Apparently they allot a certain amount of drinks (around 30) to each tour. But this particular 10am tour only had 7-8 people...so the rest of that day kind of wrote itself. Saturday I got a map of Dublin that listed various passages from Ulysses and where they took place. So I walked around the city for 10 hours or so taking photos for a super, duper pretentious photo album that I think is still on my facebook page. So Sunday I was thoroughly worn out and just sat in an air conditioned theatre all day, watching 3 movies. Plus I'm pretty sure I met Joel Plaskett after me and three other Canadians watched him put on a show. Great vacation!
   128. The District Attorney Posted: September 03, 2014 at 12:21 AM (#4784300)

Joe Lieberman?
You're thinking of Droopy Dog.
   129. villageidiom Posted: September 03, 2014 at 08:29 AM (#4784368)
Joe Lieberman?

No, Lieberman does the voice of Doctor Zoidberg in Futurama.
   130. zonk Posted: September 03, 2014 at 08:40 AM (#4784375)
No, no, no -- Lieberman is Max White, who played the dad on ALF.
   131. BDC Posted: September 03, 2014 at 08:43 AM (#4784377)
I bet I slept through some of every kids' movie of the 1990s. Parenthood will do that.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam S
for his generous support.