Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, August 24, 2018

Posnanski: Baseball 100 Rules

In this era of reboots, it was perhaps inevitable that Joe Posnanski would take another crack at the 100 greatest players in major league history. 

The Baseball 100 is more than just a ranking system to me. The difference between my 78th ranked player and my 212th ranked player is so miniscule that it’s mathematically irrelevant. With one slight adjustment, I could have those two players switch places.

Nearly all of the series is to be pay walled, but Zach Greinke is No. 100 on the list.

In the original version of this list, I included a bunch of Negro leaguers — I can tell you that four were in my Top 20. I still believe this. But Negro leaguers will now be a major part of my corresponding Shadowball 100….It’s an eclectic list that includes players who are, in their own ways, larger than life.

No. 100 on this list is Duane Kuiper.

Rennie's Tenet Posted: August 24, 2018 at 08:01 AM | 312 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: history, joe posnanski, joe posnanski top 100, reboots

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 4 of 4 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4
   301. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: May 06, 2019 at 10:25 PM (#5838991)
flop
   302. Wayne Newton's pet monkey (gef, talking mongoose) Posted: May 07, 2019 at 09:39 AM (#5839098)
so miniscule

Just for fun, try learning how to spell.
   303. Ithaca2323 Posted: May 07, 2019 at 10:39 AM (#5839135)
Just about two months since Posnanski dropped a new name in his series. That's pretty funny, considering the history. Thomas was literally tied with Bagwell in Posnanski's previous try, so you wouldn't think No. 80 would be a real stumper.

Par for the course for Posnanski.

But it's one of the reasons I didn't pay for his site. I find some of his stuff interesting (like this project) and others not so. So although I'm very interested in the Baseball 100, I was wary of essentially paying for that and then going through one—or many—of his dry spells while he writes about his love of television commercials.

According to his post here, his plan was to do two of those posts a week, which would get us through the list in a year. Well, he started on August 18, so we're 37 weeks into the relaunch...and he's done 22 names. Maybe it's going to pick back up again. But it's Posnanski, so I highly doubt it. I think he's going to go through a spurt like he's doing now, then another dry spell, and hopefully if we're lucky it won't take so long he needs to relaunch it again.

I get it, it's his site, his rules. But like I said, it's one of the reasons I hesitated to pay for his new site.
   304. Howie Menckel Posted: May 07, 2019 at 10:49 AM (#5839141)
In the original version of this list, I included a bunch of Negro leaguers — I can tell you that four were in my Top 20. I still believe this. But Negro leaguers will now be a major part of my corresponding Shadowball 100…

segregation then, segregation now, segregation forever!
#sigh
   305. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 07, 2019 at 10:58 AM (#5839155)
segregation then, segregation now, segregation forever!
#sigh

false equivalencies then, false equivalencies now, false equivalencies forever!
#same old same old
   306. Rennie's Tenet Posted: May 07, 2019 at 01:25 PM (#5839258)
Re the Negro Leaguers: in his first 70 or so picks the first time around, Posnanski chose five Negro Leaguers: Bell, Rogan, Leonard, Joe Williams, and Stearnes, and presumably would have added Paige, Gibson, Charleston, and at least one of Lloyd and Dihigo. (Irvin and Campanella counted as major leaguers). As strongly as he seems to be timelining, probably half of these guys would be gone, and I'm guessing that part of the motivation for the Shadowball thing is to discuss more than half-a-dozen Negro League players in the course of the project.
   307. Rennie's Tenet Posted: May 14, 2019 at 01:30 PM (#5841911)
78. Santo
   308. Rennie's Tenet Posted: May 22, 2019 at 09:30 PM (#5844795)
77. Jeter

309. Rennie's Tenet Posted: May 29, 2019 at 04:45 PM (#5846606)
76. Fergie Jenkins
   310. Rennie's Tenet Posted: June 05, 2019 at 05:58 PM (#5848743)
Posnanski is working on about a three-year pace (the Shadowball thing is even father behind), so I'm going to stop checking in for a while. These are the players he's chosen so far, by position:

SP: Greinke, Santana, Vance, Verlander, Mussina, Niekro, Jenkins
RP: Rivera
c: Fisk, Rodriguez, Carter
1b: Mize, McCovey, Thomas
2b: Gehringer, Whitaker, Sandberg, Frisch
Biggio,
3b: Santo
ss: Utley, Trammell, Ozzie, Jeter
lf: J. Jackson
cf: Beltran
rf: Gwynn

Lots of infielders, lots of recent players.

311. Rennie's Tenet Posted: July 17, 2019 at 09:04 PM (#5862757)
Posnanski's been cranking them out pretty steadily, down to Juan Marichal at No. 68. This is the full list so far:

100. Greinke, Gehringer, Fisk, Santana, Utley, Vance, Gwynn, 93. (tie) Trammell/Whitaker, Verlander, 91. Joe Jackson
90. Mize, McCovey, Beltran, Mussina, Sandberg, I. Rodriguez, Ozzie, Frisch, Rivera, 81. Thomas
80. Gary Carter, Niekro, Santo, Jeter, Jenkins, L. Walker, B. Robinson, Greenberg, Roberts, 71. Ichiro
70. Ryan, Yount, 68. Marichal

Still just six players who I never saw play live, plus Roberts who was just hanging on in the mid-Sixties.

The first 34 players break down into two plausible teams:

100.-85.:

C: Fisk, I. Rodriguez
1B: McCovey, Mize
IF: Sandberg, Trammell, Whitaker, Utley, Gehringer
OF: Beltran, J. Jackson, Gwynn
SP: Mussina, Verlander, Vance, Santana, Greinke

84.-68.:

C: Carter
1B: Greenberg, Thomas
IF: B. Robinson, Jeter, Santo, Frisch, Ozzie
OF: Ichiro, Yount, L. Walker
SP: Ryan, Roberts, Jenkins, Niekro, Marichal
RP: Rivera

My intuitiion is that the first team is probably a match for the second, if everyone is playing at peak level.
   312. Rennie's Tenet Posted: August 16, 2019 at 09:24 PM (#5872040)
67. Robinson Cano. The first 35 players include 10 infielders who were at their peaks in the expansion era.

Just passed the anniversary of the choice of Greinke at No. 100.
Page 4 of 4 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Kiko Sakata
for his generous support.