Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Primer Dugout 3-24-09

Happy Birthday to George Sisler.

GGC don't think it can get longer than a novella Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:56 AM | 38 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

   1. Der Komminsk-sar Posted: March 24, 2009 at 12:47 PM (#3112644)
on the main menu sidebar, i'd like to vote for "please phrase the question more concisely."
   2. Guapo Posted: March 24, 2009 at 02:23 PM (#3112715)
From MLB's tiebreaker rules (truncated for brevity's sake):

Scenario #4: If three Clubs are tied for first place in a Division (or Wild Card) with an identical winning percentage at the conclusion of the championship season and the tied Clubs do not have identical records against one another in the championship season, the tie for the Division Championship (or Wild Card) shall be broken as follows:

If the three tied Clubs have identical records against one another in the championship season, the Office of the Commissioner shall supervise a draw that results in the Clubs' being designated Club "A," "B," and "C."

If the tied Clubs do not have identical records against one another in the champoinship season, they will be designated Club "A,""B," and "C" based on their records in head-to- head competition during the championship season as follows:

[long explanation follows. Basically, if your head-to-head record is better than your opponents, you are given priority to pick your designation as Club "A", "B" or "C".]

Club "A" shall play Club "B" at the ballpark of Club "A" on Monday, September 29. The following day (Tuesday, September 30), the winner of the first game shall be the home Club in a second game, against Club "C." The winner of the game between Club "C" and the Club that won the game between Club "A" and Club "B" shall be declared the Division Champion.


I'm guessing if you assume all other things to be equal, it's preferable to be Club "C" as opposed to Club "A"? But I was wondering if anyone had run the numbers.
   3. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: March 24, 2009 at 02:26 PM (#3112717)
I'm guessing if you assume all other things to be equal, it's preferable to be Club "C" as opposed to Club "A"? But I was wondering if anyone had run the numbers.
Persumably, because you only need to win one game. Plus you have (at least) a day of rest for your bullpen, etc. whereas Club "A" might need to fire all their weapons just to beat Club "B."
   4. SoSH U at work Posted: March 24, 2009 at 02:32 PM (#3112724)
Absolutely Club C. HFA is rather small in baseball, and is much less important than only having to win one game instead of two.

In addition, all else being equal, you root for Club B in the first tiebreaker, so you both have to travel to the host city for the deciding game. In reality, the starting pitcher you're likely to face would be a bigger concern.
   5. Guapo Posted: March 24, 2009 at 02:43 PM (#3112741)
I guess an alternative question I have is - at what level would home field advantage have to be in order for Club "A" to be preferable to Club "C"?
   6. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 24, 2009 at 02:50 PM (#3112746)
Worst Career ERA+ for Pitchers with at least 100 Saves. Who are They?

1. ERA+ 95, 145 Saves - Former Orangeman was a closer for five playoff teams, all with the same club
2. ERA+ 97, 144 Saves - Worst All-Star ever? Was released the season after he made the Midsummer Classic
3. ERA+ 100, 110 Saves - As a rookie starter, tossed a no-no against a future Hall of Famer
4. ERA+ 100, 321 Saves - Tabled games for two World Series clubs, but was accused of "being vacant" and blowing a Game Seven
5. ERA+ 101, 130 Saves - Holds the Yankee record for most consecutive strikeouts, but was primarily an ineffective closer in Minnesota
6. ERA+ 101, 108 Saves - Twice led the league in losses before converting to an effective reliever in Washington
7. ERA+ 103, 131 Saves - Had three seasons of 33 saves or more, including a 45 save season, but never had more than 9 saves in any other season
8. ERA+ 104, 129 Saves - Polydactyled reliever led the league in saves in 2000
9. ERA+ 105, 123 Saves - Single season saves leader in Kansas City A's history, in fact he set a MLB record that year
10.ERA+ 105, 126 Saves - Two-time All-Star in Cleveland produced two big leaguers
   7. SoSH U at work Posted: March 24, 2009 at 02:50 PM (#3112747)
on the main menu sidebar, i'd like to vote for "please phrase the question more concisely."


I wonder if it would have been possible to rank them 1-4?
   8. Misirlou is on hiding to nowhere Posted: March 24, 2009 at 02:52 PM (#3112749)
I guess an alternative question I have is - at what level would home field advantage have to be in order for Club "A" to be preferable to Club "C"?


Assuming the teams are otherwise evenly matched (a 50% chance of winning without any external influences), I'd say over 62%

If HFA means you win 62% of the time, then the odds of you winning 2 games in a row at home are about 38%. That means that in game 2, team C has a 38% chance of winning against your 62%
   9. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: March 24, 2009 at 02:53 PM (#3112750)
2. Mike Williams
4. Jose Mesa?
   10. The District Attorney Posted: March 24, 2009 at 02:55 PM (#3112754)
2. Shawn Chacon?
5. Ron Davis
8. Antonio Alfonseca
   11. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: March 24, 2009 at 02:56 PM (#3112755)
And number three is on the tip of my toungue. He played for St. Louis and...Colorado? Hispanic guy. #######.
   12. Misirlou is on hiding to nowhere Posted: March 24, 2009 at 02:57 PM (#3112758)
Worst Career ERA+ for Pitchers with at least 100 Saves. Who are They?

1. ERA+ 95, 145 Saves - Former Orangeman was a closer for five playoff teams, all with the same club
2. ERA+ 97, 144 Saves - Worst All-Star ever? Was released the season after he made the Midsummer Classic
3. ERA+ 100, 110 Saves - As a rookie starter, tossed a no-no against a future Hall of Famer
4. ERA+ 100, 321 Saves - Tabled games for two World Series clubs, but was accused of "being vacant" and blowing a Game Seven
5. ERA+ 101, 130 Saves - Holds the Yankee record for most consecutive strikeouts, but was primarily an ineffective closer in Minnesota
6. ERA+ 101, 108 Saves - Twice led the league in losses before converting to an effective reliever in Washington
7. ERA+ 103, 131 Saves - Had three seasons of 33 saves or more, including a 45 save season, but never had more than 9 saves in any other season
8. ERA+ 104, 129 Saves - Polydactyled reliever led the league in saves in 2000
9. ERA+ 105, 123 Saves - Single season saves leader in Kansas City A's history, in fact he set a MLB record that year
10.ERA+ 105, 126 Saves - Two-time All-Star in Cleveland produced two big leaguers


Just guessing here:



2 - Mike Williams (or was it Williamson?)
5 - Ron Davis
9 - Ted Abernathy
   13. The District Attorney Posted: March 24, 2009 at 02:57 PM (#3112759)
And number three is on the tip of my toungue. He played for St. Louis and...Colorado? Hispanic guy. #######.
Jose Jimenez. Thanks for the assist! :P
   14. Guapo Posted: March 24, 2009 at 03:03 PM (#3112770)
7 is Joe Borowski.
   15. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: March 24, 2009 at 03:10 PM (#3112777)
Jose Jimenez
I had gone to look this up, because it was making me crazy, but I didn't want to post it.
   16. GGC don't think it can get longer than a novella Posted: March 24, 2009 at 03:16 PM (#3112784)
ERA+? These are relievers.
   17. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 24, 2009 at 03:26 PM (#3112800)
Correct thus far:

2. Mike Williams
3. Jose Jimenez
4. Jose Mesa
5. Ron Davis
7. Joe Borowski
8. Antonion Alfonseca

9 is not Ted Abernathy
   18. philphan Posted: March 24, 2009 at 04:25 PM (#3112893)
Dave LaRoche is No. 10. (That hint was really a dead giveaway.)
   19. CraigK Posted: March 24, 2009 at 04:28 PM (#3112898)
I've never even heard of #1; besides, looks like his career ERA+ was brought down by years of being a middling starter.
   20. philphan Posted: March 24, 2009 at 04:32 PM (#3112904)
I cheated on No. 9 and looked him up on BBRef. Someone I have completely never heard of!
   21. GGC don't think it can get longer than a novella Posted: March 24, 2009 at 04:46 PM (#3112924)
Did Ernie Harwell die? I caught the 20/20 Sports Flash in passing and they said something about an 86 yo Tigers announcer.
   22. SoSH U at work Posted: March 24, 2009 at 04:49 PM (#3112930)
It was George Kell, GGC.
   23. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 24, 2009 at 05:41 PM (#3113013)
Dave LaRoche is correct. The rest:

1. Dave Giusti
6. Ron Kline
9. Jack Aker
   24. Philippe Posted: March 24, 2009 at 05:43 PM (#3113016)
Interesting that they would refer to George Kell as a Tiger announcer rather than Hall of Fame third baseman. Not one of the Veterans Committee's better choices.
   25. Dewey, Crackpot and Soupuss Posted: March 24, 2009 at 05:45 PM (#3113021)
Interesting that they would refer to George Kell as a Tiger announcer rather than Hall of Fame third baseman.

Probably because that's how most people still living remember him.
   26. GGC don't think it can get longer than a novella Posted: March 24, 2009 at 06:03 PM (#3113052)
Makes sense, D,LBaH. I don't think of Frank Gifford or Pat Summerall as football players.
   27. philphan Posted: March 24, 2009 at 06:09 PM (#3113061)
Oops. I misread/misremembered the clue on #9 as being "saves leader in KC A's history," rather than "single-season...." Because I have heard of Jack Aker, but I had never heard of John Wyatt, who compiled 73 saves for KC between 1961 and 1966. And I see he did a nice job for the Red Sox in their "Impossible Dream" season. And then he just fell off the face of the earth--arm problems or something?
   28. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 24, 2009 at 06:26 PM (#3113087)
Makes sense, D,LBaH. I don't think of Frank Gifford or Pat Summerall as football players.

I seriously didn't know John Madden was once a coach until I was a junior in college. I thought he was an ex-linebacker or something. He sure made some neat video games though.
   29. SoSH U at work Posted: March 24, 2009 at 06:29 PM (#3113095)
Makes sense, D,LBaH. I don't think of Frank Gifford or Pat Summerall as football players.


Yeah, but those guys are national. Outside Detroit, how many people think of Kell as a broadcaster?

I can see labeling him that way in Michigan. But for a national audience, I'd go with HoFer.
   30. RJ in TO Posted: March 24, 2009 at 06:49 PM (#3113118)
Outside Detroit, how many people think of Kell as a broadcaster?

Outside of Detroit, how many people think of Kell at all? He's easily one of the most unknown Hall of Famers.

At this point, given his 40+ year history as a broadcaster, it's probably more reasonable to expect people to remember him for that.
   31. SoSH U at work Posted: March 24, 2009 at 06:52 PM (#3113120)
At this point, given his 40+ year history as a broadcaster, it's probably more reasonable to expect people to remember him for that.


My point is, if the vast majority of your audience doesn't remember a guy at all, then you should go with his most noteworthy accomplishment, which is a HoF playing career.
   32. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: March 24, 2009 at 09:47 PM (#3113422)
From this interesting article ("How (and Why) Athletes Go Broke" by Pablo S. Torre, from the new Sports Illustrated), we get this story:

On a much smaller scale, Torii Hunter and Astros pitcher LaTroy Hawkins recall the story of a former major leaguer from the Dominican Republic whose adviser took care of all his financial matters. One day the player's mail came to the clubhouse and Hunter playfully asked to see it. "It turns out he was paying this guy $5,000 a month on insurance for two cars in the Dominican Republic," Hunter says. "I got three cars, and I only pay $250 a month. He'd been with and trusted this guy [for almost 18 years]!"

Hawkins and Hunter were teammates from 1997 to 2003. And since this was the Twins, the only Dominican teammates they had in those seven years were David Ortiz, Cristian Guzman, and Hector Carrasco. And the only one who was above age 26 at the time was Hector Carrasco, who was 31 in 2003, Hawkins's last year with the Twins.

So...presumably Hunter's original sentence was "He'd been with and trusted this guy since he was 13 years old!".

And apparently Hector Carrasco used to pay $30,000 per year per car for car insurance. Maybe he had twin Batmobiles.
   33. GGC don't think it can get longer than a novella Posted: March 24, 2009 at 09:57 PM (#3113430)
And apparently Hector Carrasco paid $30,000 per year per car for car insurance. Maybe he had twin Batmobiles.


Thjink of all the money that he could be saving with Geico.

*fades in some Rockwell*
   34. GGC don't think it can get longer than a novella Posted: March 24, 2009 at 10:14 PM (#3113446)

I seriously didn't know John Madden was once a coach until I was a junior in college.


Thanks for making me feel old.
   35. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: March 24, 2009 at 10:19 PM (#3113452)
I didn't know until around that time either.

It was even more surprising to find out Dick Vitale was once a coach. And for an team that made Sweet Sixteen appearances! And then in the NBA! Not SUNY-Plattsburgh or Finlandia University or something. I flatout did not believe it. It would be like finding out that Gary Busey used to be a US senator.

[Edited to account for my erroneous belief that Detroit-Mercy was in the Atlantic 10 conference]
   36. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: March 24, 2009 at 10:31 PM (#3113476)
It would be like finding out that Gary Busey used to be a US senator.


Or that Jerry Springer used to be a mayor.
   37. Cabbage Posted: March 24, 2009 at 10:41 PM (#3113494)
Or that Jerry Springer used to be a mayor.

<wakes up from coma>

President Reagan? The actor?!
   38. Der-K: Hipster doofus Posted: March 25, 2009 at 01:31 AM (#3113652)
College shocker (albeit on a Tuesday game): Ga. State 10, GT 1.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

 

 

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Forsch 10 From Navarone (Dayn)
for his generous support.

Bookmarks

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogDoug Glanville: I Was Racially Profiled in My Own Driveway
(268 - 2:47pm, Apr 18)
Last: Jolly Old St. Nick Still Gags in October

NewsblogDesign Room: Top 10 Logos in MLB History.
(67 - 2:43pm, Apr 18)
Last: Tim Wallach was my Hero

NewsblogEscape from Cuba: Yasiel Puig’s Untold Journey to the Dodgers
(10 - 2:38pm, Apr 18)
Last: A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose)

NewsblogOT: NBA Monthly Thread - April 2014
(308 - 2:38pm, Apr 18)
Last: King Mekong

NewsblogNY Daily News: Secret Service Threatened To Shoot Mr. Met
(11 - 2:32pm, Apr 18)
Last: Gamingboy

NewsblogOTP April 2014: BurstNET Sued for Not Making Equipment Lease Payments
(1632 - 2:28pm, Apr 18)
Last: David Nieporent (now, with children)

NewsblogRB: Carlos Beltran: more of a center fielder than Mickey Mantle, Ty Cobb or Duke Snider. So what?
(22 - 2:18pm, Apr 18)
Last: Karl from NY

NewsblogOMNICHATTER FOR APRIL 18, 2014
(13 - 2:14pm, Apr 18)
Last: Sunday silence

NewsblogChris Resop - The Most Interesting Reliever in the World
(21 - 2:05pm, Apr 18)
Last: I Am Not a Number

NewsblogOT: The Soccer Thread March, 2014
(891 - 2:00pm, Apr 18)
Last: J. Sosa

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 4-18-2014
(17 - 1:56pm, Apr 18)
Last: Mike Emeigh

NewsblogMitchell: Now Playing First Base for the Yankees
(41 - 1:54pm, Apr 18)
Last: Sunday silence

NewsblogDaniel Bryan's 'YES!' chant has spread to the Pirates' dugout
(86 - 1:52pm, Apr 18)
Last: KT's Pot Arb

NewsblogOrioles launch D.C. invasion with billboard near Nationals Park
(26 - 1:33pm, Apr 18)
Last: Joey B. is being stalked by a (Gonfa) loon

NewsblogGleeman: Mets minor league team is hosting “Seinfeld night”
(149 - 12:48pm, Apr 18)
Last: Karl from NY

Demarini, Easton and TPX Baseball Bats

 

 

 

 

Page rendered in 0.2090 seconds
52 querie(s) executed