Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, October 18, 2013

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 10-18-2013

Milwaukee Journal, October 18, 1913:

Too much is being made of the world’s champions, the Philadelphia Americans, in the opinion of Adrian C. Anson, who declared today that his old Chicago pennant winning team of a quarter century ago could easily have defeated the present title holders.
“None of the pitchers of today can equal such men as Clarkson, Goldsmith, Larry Cochran [sic] and Charley Ferguson.”

Former Captain Anson likewise declined to acknowledge that such fielders as Cobb or Speaker could be placed in the same class with Bill Lang [sic], and he challenged the production of any present day catchers the equals of Buck Ewing or Mike Kelly.

And get off his lawn!

Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: October 18, 2013 at 06:26 AM | 12 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: bill lange, buck ewing, cap anson, charlie ferguson, dugout, fred goldsmith, history, john clarkson, king kelly, larry corcoran, tris speaker, ty cobb

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: October 18, 2013 at 06:29 AM (#4576629)
Not really a ton of pitching to work with on today's Birthday Team. Some of these guys may have to invent pitches.

C: Boileryard Clarke
1B: George Hendrick
2B: Jerry Royster
3B: Hans Lobert
SS: Alex Cora
LF: Willie Horton
CF/Manager: Burt Shotton
RF: Roy Cullenbine

SP: Candy Cummings
SP: Andy Hassler
SP: Allen Ripley
SP: Frank Meinke
SP: Ed Farmer
RP: Alan Mills

Prospect: Yoenis Cespedes
   2. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: October 18, 2013 at 09:15 AM (#4576685)
   3. T.J. Posted: October 18, 2013 at 09:16 AM (#4576690)
Parks and Rec is now the official show of BBTF.

EDIT: Coke to RoyalsRetro (AG#1F).
   4. BDC Posted: October 18, 2013 at 09:27 AM (#4576698)
George Hendrick has been coaching for Tampa Bay for quite a while now, but I'm still kind of surprised every time he trots out to the box. If there were a player who was less likely to be a coach, based on his playing profile, it's hard to think of one: he was most famous for never talking to the press. But he must talk to his peers and his charges. He was a very good player, and it's nice to see him associated with the success of the Rays.
   5. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: October 18, 2013 at 10:26 AM (#4576746)
Dodgers claim OF Mike Baxter off waivers from the Mets.
   6. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: October 18, 2013 at 10:38 AM (#4576767)
Was wondering when that (2/3) would show up.

I'm pretty sure that I've a book from the early 80s that mentioned Hendrick as a future coach. I've been amused by some of the dudes that have popped up as coaches in indy ranks - Templeton, Jack Clark, Canseco...
   7. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: October 18, 2013 at 10:56 AM (#4576788)
I eagerly await the Mets' signing of James Baxter.
   8. just plain joe Posted: October 18, 2013 at 11:15 AM (#4576814)
George Hendrick has been coaching for Tampa Bay for quite a while now, but I'm still kind of surprised every time he trots out to the box. If there were a player who was less likely to be a coach, based on his playing profile, it's hard to think of one: he was most famous for never talking to the press. But he must talk to his peers and his charges. He was a very good player, and it's nice to see him associated with the success of the Rays.

I'm pretty sure that Hendricks always got along with his teammates and was considered to be a positive factor in the clubhouse by his managers. From everything I can gather it was just the press that he disdained. I know that when he played in St. Louis he was popular with the fans as well as his teammates. Being a coach is probably an ideal gig for Hendricks, he stays in the game but doesn't have to deal with the media on a day to day basis like the manager does.

EDIT: Coke to Der K.
   9. esseff Posted: October 18, 2013 at 11:54 AM (#4576866)
I'm pretty sure that Hendricks always got along with his teammates and was considered to be a positive factor in the clubhouse by his managers. From everything I can gather it was just the press that he disdained.

Even "disdain" may be too strong a word. It was a personal policy, and he enforced it politely, not with acrimony.
   10. bobm Posted: October 18, 2013 at 08:32 PM (#4577327)
http://nypost.com/2013/10/18/mlb-admits-paying-125k-for-a-rod-documents-source/
   11. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: October 19, 2013 at 12:05 AM (#4577786)
Somebody wondered recently in one of the threads (that's about how specific I can be) when players started watching video to work on skills.
Looks like Dick Williams borrowed equipment from a TV station in 1967 & did this with the Red Sox.
That's the earliest I got.
   12. The Ghost of Sox Fans Past Posted: October 19, 2013 at 12:53 AM (#4577796)
My earliest memory was that Tony Gwynn did it.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Infinite Joost (Voxter)
for his generous support.