Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 10-23-2012

Pittsburgh Gazette Times, October 23, 1912:

...formal notice has been served on Roger Bresnahan, manager of the St. Louis National League team, that his contract has been terminated by the club management, although it still has four years to run. Bresnahan said he would take every means to force the club management to live up to the contract.
[Cardinals owner Helene Britton:] “I don’t want anything printed about that. It is terrible that it has got out…I will not deny it. But I can’t see how it got out. I understand that no one of us was to say anything about it.”

The Bresnahan-Britton relationship had been irreparably damaged in the summer of 1912, when the owner blocked a trade that would have sent Miller Huggins to Cincinnati. The next manager of the Cardinals was…Miller Huggins. Britton and Bresnahan eventually agreed upon a $20,000 buyout of the ex-manager’s contract.

Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: October 23, 2012 at 06:19 AM | 10 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history, miller huggins, roger bresnahan

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: October 23, 2012 at 06:24 AM (#4280374)
I don't normally use players without MLB experience on Birthday Teams unless it's glaringly obvious that they're superior to the other options. Omar Linares is obviously the best third baseman ever born on October 23, regardless of Cuba's emigration policy.

Pretty good rotation today too.

C: Dwight Lowry
1B: 1930s Billy Sullivan
2B: John Castino
3B: Omar Linares
SS: Vern Stephens
LF: Rube Bressler
CF: Birdie Cree
RF: Ben Francisco

SP: Jim Bunning
SP: Al Leiter
SP: Ewell Blackwell
SP: John Lackey
SP: Hugh Bedient
RP: David Riske

Manager: Lena Blackburne
League President: William Hulbert
Blocker of Edgar: Jim Presley
No-hitter at age 21, out of the majors at age 22: Bud Smith
   2. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: October 23, 2012 at 07:40 AM (#4280378)
Bud Smith's other claim to fame is that he was part of the Phils-Cards Scott Rolen trade. I thought that he had sipped java with the Phils but he never made it to Philly.
   3. Tom Nawrocki Posted: October 23, 2012 at 09:57 AM (#4280427)
Has Jack Morris been an analyst on ESPN for very long? I don't watch a lot of SportsCenter these days, but I caught it this morning, and Jack and his mustache were talking about the World Series with Nomar Garciaparra.

And Morris was just terrible. Had absolutely nothing to say, nothing to add to the discussion. He deserves to get kicked out of the Hall of Fame just for that.
   4. JJ1986 Posted: October 23, 2012 at 11:23 AM (#4280522)
Today has got to be among the very worst sports watching days of the year.
   5. Anonymous Observer Posted: October 23, 2012 at 02:26 PM (#4280707)

Very close, but for me, it's the day after the World Series ends. Because after that, it's over. Done. Finished. No more baseball. And even though I doubt I'll watch any of the World Series this year, when it's over, I'll still be reminded that there's no more baseball, and a long, cold winter will be staring me in the face.
   6. SoSH U at work Posted: October 23, 2012 at 02:32 PM (#4280714)

The day after the all-star game (this year, two days). Either that or the frustrating day after Opening Day when your team is off. You wait five months for your team to get back on the field, and then, Bam, Off Day.

For the most part, I don't really consider the time between the end of October and the start of April to be sports-watching days.
   7. Walt Davis Posted: October 23, 2012 at 04:33 PM (#4280886)
That's one hell of a rotation on today's team.
   8. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: October 23, 2012 at 05:11 PM (#4280949)
That's one hell of a rotation on today's team.

Gotta think it's the only birthday group with three different guys who started Game Seven of the World Series (well, Game Eight technically for Bedient).
   9. vortex of dissipation Posted: October 23, 2012 at 07:18 PM (#4281078)
Fifty-five years ago, guess who was first in line at Yankee Stadium to buy bleacher tickets for the 1957 World Series...
   10. The Ghost's Tryin' to Reason with Hurricane Season Posted: October 23, 2012 at 07:45 PM (#4281099)
Has Jack Morris been an analyst on ESPN for very long? I don't watch a lot of SportsCenter these days, but I caught it this morning, and Jack and his mustache were talking about the World Series with Nomar Garciaparra.

And Morris was just terrible. Had absolutely nothing to say, nothing to add to the discussion. He deserves to get kicked out of the Hall of Fame just for that.

They seem to run ex-players through ESPN like crazy. I don't know if they think it's the only way to find out how good they are going to be, or if they think more people will tune in to hope to catch one of their favorite guys. Or maybe no one is willing to spend more than a few days a month in Bristol, except John Kruk.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Ghost's Tryin' to Reason with Hurricane Season
for his generous support.