Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 10-30-2012

Salt Lake Tribune, October 30, 1912:

Shortstop Joe Tinker of the Chicago National league baseball team, and Garry Herrmann, owner of the Cincinnati team in the same league, agreed upon terms under which Tinker will manage the Ohio club next season if he can obtain his release from Chicago, it was announced today.
Tinker announced that he will not play again with the Chicago Nationals. “I can’t play the same kind of ball under Evers that I did under Chance,” said Tinker. “I will never put on a ‘Cub’ uniform again.”

...which I think was a polite way for Tinker to say that he and Evers despised each other. Tinker went to Cincinnati in an eight-player deal, then jumped to the Federal League in 1914. When the Fed went under, Tinker did indeed put on a Cub uniform again.

Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: October 30, 2012 at 06:12 AM | 8 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history, joe tinker

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: October 30, 2012 at 06:13 AM (#4288104)
Buckle your seatbelts; it's going to be a bumpy ride at second base for today's Birthday Team. The alternative to Tartabull playing second is to move him to right field, bench Freeman, scoot Marco to second, and slot Jason Bartlett into the lineup.

If Tartabull can play a tolerably bad second base, this is one hell of a lineup. If not, it's still really good.

C: Dave Valle
1B/Manager: Bill Terry
2B: Danny Tartabull
3B: Jim Ray Hart
SS: Marco Scutaro
LF: Joe Adcock
CF: Ed Delahanty
RF: Buck Freeman

SP: Jim Perry
SP: Mark Portugal
SP: Pete Conway
SP: Scott Garrelts
SP: Ian Snell
RP: Lee Tunnell

Negro Leagues Great: Leon Day
Fun Names: Kettle Wirts, Ham Iburg, Roe Skidmore
Most career pitching appearances without recording a decision: Erik Plantenberg
   2. Walt Davis Posted: October 30, 2012 at 07:09 AM (#4288114)
I object your honor!
You're out of order!
Danny Tartabull is out of order!

C'mon Dan, Bartlett's got 17 career WAR, nearly as many as Scutaro, nearly as many as Freeman, nearly as many as Tartabull. It goes against the laws of God, man, nature and (I thought) birthday teams to have Tartabull at 2B over Bartlett.

Also ... 4 Buck Freemans in the majors? That's nuts.

And a heck of a bench for birthday team. The loser between Tartabull and Freeman, Day (unless he starts, Desmond Jennings, Mike Jacobs, Luis Matos, Gerald Perry, Laynce Nix, Tom Poquette, there must be a backup C in there somewhere. This must be one of the deepest set of position players of any day.

Rotation isn't much but I'll give a shout out to Pete Fries as a fun name. And Harley Dillinger sounds like a guy you don't want to mess with.
   3. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: October 30, 2012 at 07:55 AM (#4288124)
Yeah, you're probably right, Walt. I got a bit carried away with the pile of bats I had at my disposal. I went bat-sh*t crazy, it seems.

Funny thing is Leon Day might actually be the best second baseman available, but I exercise caution, perhaps too much, with Negro Leaguers.
   4. BochysFingers Posted: October 30, 2012 at 08:12 AM (#4288130)
Buck Freeman: A Baseball Mogul Stud. Given his power and the time he played, I think he has to be in the lineup.

To be even more entertaining, swap Tartabull and Scutaro.
   5. Hang down your head, Tom Foley Posted: October 30, 2012 at 09:38 AM (#4288158)
Tartabull's 50 today. I remember when he came up as a shortstop with Seattle. Now nobody thinks about either of those things when they think "Danny Tartabull." Actually, "Danny Tartabull" probably isn't thought much except when his Seinfeld is on.
   6. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: October 30, 2012 at 09:57 AM (#4288165)
I will always have a soft spot for Danny Tartabull, who was the topic of my first ever Hardball Times column
   7. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: October 30, 2012 at 10:48 AM (#4288209)
Tartabull was the starting second baseman in Clemens' first 20-K game and had one of the three hits.
   8. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: October 30, 2012 at 05:27 PM (#4288679)
Buck Freeman is a good answer to get on the incredibly long Sporcle quiz Every 20 HR Season. He gives you both a complete year (1899) and a complete franchise (the Washington NL franchise that folded after 1899), and both of those things are time bonuses.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Dingbat_Charlie
for his generous support.