Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, October 07, 2019

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 10-7-2019

Pittsburgh Press, October 7, 1919. White Sox manager Kid Gleason discusses his team’s play in Game Five of the World Series, which Cincinnati won to take a 4-1 lead in the best-of-nine series:

There’s no explanation. The Whitesox haven’t been hitting and weren’t hitting in the last game, and that accounts for it.
To make [a play in the sixth inning] worse, Risberg messed the relay. He tried to intercept the ball after Eller had stopped at second and left it get away from him and Eller went on to third…I think that ball ought to have been caught. The wind carried it away from Jackson when he started after it. Felsch could have caught it.
[Later in the inning,] Roush hit a long fly to deep center. I wish I could say just how many times Felsch has run back and taken fly balls exactly like that one this summer. I figured it a sure catch. But this was the one that Felsch let get away. He was close enough to get his hands on it but it got away from him and went for a triple and two more runs scored. That thing settled the ball game.

It’s painful to watch this play out. Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but it kind of sounds like Gleason thinks something’s up.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: October 07, 2019 at 10:13 AM | 16 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: black sox, dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: October 07, 2019 at 10:15 AM (#5887292)
A pretty solid Birthday Team today. Mookie isn't really a second baseman but can play there, Hatton never started a game at shortstop but made some appearances there, and Cardenal obviously isn't a 20 WAR guy as a first baseman. But there are some parts to work with here.

C: Fleet Walker (0.0 WAR)
1B: Jose Cardenal (20.7 WAR)
2B: Mookie Betts (42.0 WAR)
3B: Evan Longoria (54.2 WAR)
SS: Grady Hatton (17.6 WAR)
LF: Frank Baumholtz (7.6 WAR)
CF: Rudy Law (9.2 WAR)
RF: Chuck Klein (43.6 WAR)

SP: Brickyard Kennedy (34.9 WAR)
SP: Bill Walker (14.6 WAR)
SP: Alex Cobb (11.6 WAR)
SP: Kris Medlen (8.3 WAR)
SP: Butch Henry (8.3 WAR)
RP: Bud Daley (6.5 WAR)

Manager: Charlie Fox
Amateur catcher in the Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame, maybe better than Walker?: Zensuke Shimada
Guy who very graciously and in good humor listened to me and some friends heckle him for three hours in September 1995: Milt Cuyler
Right fielder for the '89 Canton-Akron Indians, starting pitcher for the '90 Canton-Akron Indians: Jim Bruske
Fun names: Punch Knoll, Moxie Hengel
   2. PreservedFish Posted: October 07, 2019 at 10:31 AM (#5887294)
Milt Cuyler never gets mentioned among baseball's great ocean life names.
   3. salvomania Posted: October 07, 2019 at 10:36 AM (#5887297)
C: Fleet Walker (0.0 WAR)

First black man to play in a major-league game...
   4. Pasta-diving Jeter (jmac66) Posted: October 07, 2019 at 11:31 AM (#5887316)
Tufts funeral/shiva arrangements are on his twitter page https://twitter.com/TuftsB. All will take place in Manhattan and Queens

5. SoSH U at work Posted: October 07, 2019 at 11:40 AM (#5887319)
First black man to play in a major-league game...

And a former Yeoman.
   6. Rennie's Tenet Posted: October 07, 2019 at 12:18 PM (#5887330)
Maybe I’m reading too much into itbut it kind of sounds like Gleason thinks something’s up

It's interesting that he says Williams pitched fine, but that if Kerr wins he might bring him back the next day and the next.
   7. GGC Posted: October 07, 2019 at 12:26 PM (#5887331)
At some point in the aughts, I recall reading an anecdote by Shelby Foote about himself listening to ballgames as a teen. For the life of me, I cannot figure out what book it was. IIRC, he had a radio with better reception (maybe he lived on a hill) and was able to pick up live Cardinal games. His neighbors down in the valley were listening to a recreation, so it was on a delay of sorts as the announcer had to read game reports off the wire. Thus, young Foote was able to display a baseball prescience by predicting what would happen apparently ahead of time.

Does anyone know what anthology this was in?
   8. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 07, 2019 at 01:09 PM (#5887355)
IIRC, he had a radio with better reception (maybe he lived on a hill) and was able to pick up live Cardinal games. His neighbors down in the valley were listening to a recreation, so it was on a delay of sorts as the announcer had to read game reports off the wire. Thus, young Foote was able to display a baseball prescience by predicting what would happen apparently ahead of time.

How did he communicate this prescience to them, since they were in different places? Did he call them on the phone and say "I have a premonition that Enos Slaughter is going to ground out to the SS"?
   9. Pasta-diving Jeter (jmac66) Posted: October 07, 2019 at 01:42 PM (#5887375)
At some point in the aughts, I recall reading an anecdote by Shelby Foote about himself listening to ballgames as a teen.

You are describing Willie Morris' "The Phantom of Yazoo" which is one of the chapters in his book After all, It’s Only a Game. He had a short wave radio so he could get the game live and in his town the radio recreation was a few hours later, so he had plenty of time. link
   10. GGC Posted: October 07, 2019 at 01:47 PM (#5887380)
I read this so long ago, that I don't recall. I imagine the delay between the two was as long as or longer than the delay between watching a game on TV versus Gamecast back when that technology was relatively new.
   11. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: October 07, 2019 at 01:49 PM (#5887382)
Thanks for linking to the info on Willie Morris. I own his book The Courting of Marcus Dupree and didn't know he was such a major figure. And he wrote "My Dog Skip".
   12. Pasta-diving Jeter (jmac66) Posted: October 07, 2019 at 01:52 PM (#5887384)
Thanks for linking to the info on Willie Morris. I own his book The Courting of Marcus Dupree and didn't know he was such a major figure. And he wrote "My Dog Skip".

I became familiar with him when he was the editor of Harpers magazine from 1967-1971. The mag has never been remotely as good before or since
   13. GGC Posted: October 07, 2019 at 01:56 PM (#5887387)
jmac, that's the story I was thinking of. No wonder trying to search for it underfoote didn't help :).

Many thanks.
   14. Walt Davis Posted: October 07, 2019 at 05:18 PM (#5887535)
#7 and #9 -- also essentially the plot of an episode of MASH
   15. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: October 08, 2019 at 10:47 AM (#5887870)
But this was the one that Felsch let get away.

Never a truer word...
   16. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: October 08, 2019 at 10:50 AM (#5887873)
#7 and #9 -- also essentially the plot of an episode of MASH

with Blind Hawkeye.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam M
for his generous support.