Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, November 15, 2013

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 11-15-2013

Pittsburgh Press, November 15, 2013:

Ty Cobb has decided that Detroit isn’t the worst place in the world. But he got $15,000 a year for his decision.

Pittsburgh: We’re not Detroit!

Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: November 15, 2013 at 07:21 AM | 31 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history, ty cobb

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: November 15, 2013 at 07:25 AM (#4600596)
There's not a lot to enjoy for fans of today's Birthday Team, other than Fred Breining's mustache.

C: Mickey Livingston
1B: Ryan Jackson
2B: Jay Partridge
3B: Will Foley
SS: Pete Childs
LF: Maurice Van Robays
CF: Milt Byrnes
RF: Gus Bell

SP: Pat Ragan
SP: Fred Breining
SP: Joe Ostrowski
SP: John Stephens
SP: Randy Niemann
RP: Pedro Borbon the Younger

Manager: Tom Loftus
Top Prospect: Dylan Bundy
Minor League Macho Man: Randy Poffo
   2. just plain joe Posted: November 15, 2013 at 09:30 AM (#4600615)
Bell and Van Robays were solid enough outfielders but you are right, not much there on today's team.
   3. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: November 15, 2013 at 10:32 AM (#4600634)
All Musical Team

C Jeff Reed
1B Sam Horn
2B Keith Drumright
SS Rob Picciolo
3B Ryan Minor
LF Kevin Bass
CF Bryce Harper
RF Gus Bell

Bench: IF Bobby Scales, IF Lute Barnes, IF Cord Phelps, OF Bill Sharp

SP Frank Viola
SP Jimmy Key
SP Bill Singer
SP Brad Cornett
SP Steven Fife

RP Ryan Snare
RP Warner Madrigal

Manager: Joe Altobelli

4. BDC Posted: November 15, 2013 at 10:43 AM (#4600638)
Gus Bell was the only name I even recognized among the Birthdays. Good player. I hadn't remembered that he played CF (not like I remembered him first-hand at all, of course). By bWAR and DRA he rates as a pretty terrible center fielder. Fortunately, he could really hit.

Although … everything's relative. In 1956, when Bell rates as most Godawful in center field, his NL peers at the position included Mays, Snider, Ashburn, Bruton, and Virdon: sort of the Supreme Court of how to play center field. Bell still rates dead last in the league behind a couple of long-forgotten Cubs and Cardinals, but he might have been adequate in absolute terms as eyeballed by scouts and managers. You just don't win games in absolute terms.
   5. Hang down your head, Tom Foley Posted: November 15, 2013 at 10:44 AM (#4600640)
Is there a one Bell(e) limit on the All Musical Team? And Steve Sax.

I had that Fred Breining card. I would have guessed he was a utility infielder, because most players who look like that are.
   6. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: November 15, 2013 at 10:52 AM (#4600647)
Steve Sax! How could I forget him! The cause of all the murders in NY the last 20 years!
   7. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: November 15, 2013 at 11:00 AM (#4600653)
Yep, every year I look at these birthday teams, and don't see any worse than mine. Gus Bell, our token All-Star every possible year.
   8. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: November 15, 2013 at 11:03 AM (#4600655)
I dunno, I think of guys who look like Breining as mediocre swingmen. Lee Tunnell, for instance.

Breining was actually a pretty good pitcher. Career ERA+ of 107, kept the ball in the park, solid control. Scragged his shoulder and was out of the big leagues by age 28.
   9. Nasty Nate Posted: November 15, 2013 at 11:10 AM (#4600658)
All Musical Team

NEEDS BELLHORN!
   10. natebracy Posted: November 15, 2013 at 11:13 AM (#4600659)
   11. Rennie's Tenet Posted: November 15, 2013 at 11:17 AM (#4600661)
Rock Raines
   12. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: November 15, 2013 at 11:21 AM (#4600662)
What about Enos Cowbell?
   13. BDC Posted: November 15, 2013 at 11:31 AM (#4600665)
Or maybe Phil Linz.
   14. puck Posted: November 15, 2013 at 12:28 PM (#4600708)
Gus Bell passed rather young (66). He died 4 days after David Bell's MLB debut.

I wonder if there are any 4th generation Bell or Boone prospects out there.
   15. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: November 15, 2013 at 12:41 PM (#4600721)
Manny Trillo?
   16. Sweatpants Posted: November 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM (#4600724)
Charlie "Piano Legs" Hickman?
   17. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: November 15, 2013 at 01:08 PM (#4600745)

I wonder if there are any 4th generation Bell or Boone prospects out there.

Aaron Boone's son can't even beat Team Extreme so I doubt he's much of a prospect.

I didn't realize Casey Coleman had vaulted the Colemans (Joe Jr. and Joe Sr.) into the three-generation MLB club.
   18. if nature called, ladodger34 would listen Posted: November 15, 2013 at 01:50 PM (#4600764)
AG, that post just reminds how much the concept of travel ball frightens me. I only played baseball growing up, but I decided that my kids will be well rounded. My 5 year old is finishing his first AYSO season (as a soccer luddite, I will say it was a blast). Last year he played Winter and Spring Baseball but we (wife and I) decided to give soccer a try. As he learns soccer more, he is really enjoying it. I was a tiny bit scared when I asked him what he wanted to play next, but he said baseball.

Now full disclosure: I think the kid is going to be a distance runner. We entered our boys into a 1/2 k race last weekend (wife ran the 10k) and he really took to it. It was his first race and he finished 26 outta 175 and most of the kids who finished ahead of him were older.

I really want my kids to experience more than one sport. If any of them show aptitude for one sport, we might explore the club stuff, but who knows. I personally believe that playing different sports can make you better in your primary sport. I grew up playing with and against Bobby Kielty and I know he played baseball and soccer when he was younger and then baseball and water polo when he was in high school. Of course, this was before the CIF (California high school sports) pretty much allowed sports to become year round.

19. Hang down your head, Tom Foley Posted: November 15, 2013 at 02:07 PM (#4600768)
I hadn't thought about Bobby Kielty in a long time. He played independent league ball in 2012, but apparently nowhere this year. It seems unlikely he'll make it back to MLB. If he doesn't, his last appearance was a World Series-winning home run.
   20. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: November 15, 2013 at 02:09 PM (#4600771)
This is fodder for the OT politics thread, but... The College Baseball HOF is being named after GHWB.
   21. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: November 15, 2013 at 02:33 PM (#4600788)
The College Baseball HOF is being named after GHWB.
I winced just now. I'd have winced if they named it after any politician, regardless of his or her ideology.

They've taken something on which we all agree - baseball is wonderful and something to celebrate - and introduced something divisive. That sucks.
   22. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: November 15, 2013 at 02:40 PM (#4600797)
Politics aside, Bush was a legit good college player and by all accounts absolutely loves the game. I am a lefty, but I have no problem with naming it after him.
   23. BDC Posted: November 15, 2013 at 02:51 PM (#4600807)
I am a lefty

So's he.
   24. just plain joe Posted: November 15, 2013 at 02:53 PM (#4600810)
I didn't realize Casey Coleman had vaulted the Colemans (Joe Jr. and Joe Sr.) into the three-generation MLB club.

If only he had inherited some of his father's ability.
   25. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: November 15, 2013 at 06:34 PM (#4600990)
Do I dare even ask what happened to the OT-Politics thread?
   26. RMc is a fine piece of cheese Posted: November 15, 2013 at 09:22 PM (#4601047)
I hadn't thought about Bobby Kielty in a long time. He played independent league ball in 2012, but apparently nowhere this year. It seems unlikely he'll make it back to MLB. If he doesn't, his last appearance was a World Series-winning home run.

Well, a World Series-clinching home run, which is not quite the same thing. EDIT: It wasn't even that, really. He had an (unofficial) GWRBI in a Series-clinching game. So did Rusty Kuntz.

Still, how many players hit a WS HR in their final MLB at-bat?
   27. AndrewJ Posted: November 16, 2013 at 10:31 AM (#4601160)
The College Baseball HOF is being named after GHWB.

I appreciate that the basketball HOF is named for Naismith, but this is a little tacky. As a Mario Cuomo Minor League HOF would also be.
   28. BDC Posted: November 16, 2013 at 02:40 PM (#4601224)
Do I dare even ask what happened to the OT-Politics thread?

I think we're all just still reading through Morty's links on rapid evolution.
   29. steagles Posted: November 16, 2013 at 04:18 PM (#4601248)
AG, that post just reminds how much the concept of travel ball frightens me. I only played baseball growing up, but I decided that my kids will be well rounded. My 5 year old is finishing his first AYSO season (as a soccer luddite, I will say it was a blast). Last year he played Winter and Spring Baseball but we (wife and I) decided to give soccer a try. As he learns soccer more, he is really enjoying it. I was a tiny bit scared when I asked him what he wanted to play next, but he said baseball.

Now full disclosure: I think the kid is going to be a distance runner. We entered our boys into a 1/2 k race last weekend (wife ran the 10k) and he really took to it. It was his first race and he finished 26 outta 175 and most of the kids who finished ahead of him were older.
baseball in the spring
cross country/rockclimbing in the fall
gymnastics/wrestling in the winter
swimming/lawnmowing in the summer

as he grows up, you can ween him off all of the other "sports" and by the time he's 16, he'll be done with all of the cross-training and ready to play baseball full-time.
   30. bobm Posted: November 16, 2013 at 05:34 PM (#4601276)
If only he had inherited some of his father's ability.

GWB?
   31. if nature called, ladodger34 would listen Posted: November 16, 2013 at 05:59 PM (#4601285)

As most superstar players were, that dude could do everything when we were kids. He played a nice SS, could pitch, switch hit, run pretty well, etc. Just a darn good athlete. The football coaches begged him to play, but he was too smart for that. Plus, it cut into water polo season.

Just an interesting side note: Greg Dobbs was two years behind Bobby in high school. I was a year behind Bobby, but went to a different HS. However, we were the same "age" for Pony and Dobbs was a year behind us. I would have never guessed that Dobbs would make it all the way. He was a witch with the bat but all his other skills never seemed amazing. It's crazy that he's had a longer career than Kielty.

Steagles,

I'm not sure the boy will be playing ball when he is 16. We'll have to see and I am just going to let it play out however it plays out.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam M
for his generous support.