Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, November 23, 2012

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 11-23-2012

Toledo News-Bee, November 23, 1912:

In the east they are reciting a story on the feat of Tom Shevlin, who has been helping to coach the Yale [football team], in swallowing an unlighted cigar last Saturday at Princeton when [Harold] Pumpelly kicked the successful goal for the Elis in the last minute of play.
Ed Grillo, when running the Mud Hens, did the same thing one day at Kansas City. Howard Camnitz was pitching for Toledo and had a five-run lead with two out in the ninth. The Kaws grabbed off four runs and had three men on bases when Cammy fanned Hugh Hill. On the last strike Grillo performed.

And that’s why Red Auerbach always waited until the game was in the bag before breaking out the cigar.

Dan Lee prefers good shortstops to great paintings Posted: November 23, 2012 at 07:18 AM | 6 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee prefers good shortstops to great paintings Posted: November 23, 2012 at 07:21 AM (#4308234)
A really good top-to-bottom Birthday Team today, particularly on the mound.

C: Chief Zimmer
1B: George Stovall
2B/Manager: Dale Sveum
3B: Brook Jacoby
SS: Todd Cruz
LF: Jimmy Sheckard
CF: Freddy Leach
RF: Socks Seybold

SP: Luis Tiant
SP: Hal Schumacher
SP: Jesse Petty
SP: Adam Eaton
SP: Tom Hall
RP: Jonathan Papelbon

Fun Names: Hi Church, Bubber Jonnard, Biggs Wehde
   2. WahooSam Posted: November 23, 2012 at 10:30 AM (#4308263)
I love me some Socks Seybold; had never heard of Freddy Leach!
   3. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: November 23, 2012 at 11:45 AM (#4308286)
Hector Luna has signed with the Chunichi Dragons.

Kila Ka'aihue has signed with the Dbacks.

Cubs sign Brian Bogusevic. Yes, to a minor league contract. Yes, he played in 146 games for the Astros this year.

Pirates sign Félix Pié,

Blue Jays sign both Izturises.

Braves add Cory Rasmus to 40-man. No, not Colby Rasmus. Not Cody Ransom. Cory Rasmus.
   4. GGC don't think it can get longer than a novella Posted: November 23, 2012 at 01:03 PM (#4308330)
Hey, dugout:

I had an email convo with a hitting instructor re an article I’m trying to write. This isn’t personal, so I feel alright quoting it:

With the availability of computerized slow motion technology… we can absolutely define the fundamental characteristics of the greatest hitters that ever played the game, and they are remarkably consistent and definable…. (S)tudying swing clips from that era, the “hall of famers” were remarkably consistent in technique. It makes sense that those that kept their hands inside the ball, creating a shorter more powerful swing that stayed on plane longer, were the most successful hitters.

This led me to an article that states:

the hitting technique of the great hitters is universal; they all fit into an identical envelope from launch-to-contact. In the late 1980s, slow-motion video analysis clearly showed that productive hitters’ hands all moved to the same spot at swing launch, no matter where they started in the stance.

Is this common knowledge amongst Primates? Most of what I’ve read about baseball in the BTF era has been about stats or history. I think the last time I read much on the subject was about 25 years ago when that study came out, but I’m not sure if it was general knowledge at the time.
   5. jwb Posted: November 23, 2012 at 02:52 PM (#4308400)
Crispix, The second Izturis is Julio, a 23 year old utility infielder. He last played in Low A in 2010. Cesar is still available!
   6. RMc's desperate, often sordid world Posted: November 24, 2012 at 07:04 AM (#4308587)
This isn’t personal

He thought it wasn't personal.

He was wrong.

GGC is...

"HITTING INSTRUCTOR"!

A Primate Production

(This film is not yet rated...or written.)

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Rough Carrigan
for his generous support.