Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, November 07, 2019

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 11-7-2019

New York Tribune, November 7, 1919:

The fight against Ban Johnson, president of the American League…is very likely to result in the greatest upheaval in the history of the national game if the erstwhile Czar and his five henchmen do not quickly recede from their present attitude of defiance of civil and baseball law.

A new major circuit, built around the New York, Chicago and Boston clubs of the American League, backed by hundreds of millions of dollars and recognized as an equal by the National League, may be launched before next spring if Johnson’s supporters insist upon pressing existing litigation to the point of baseball wrecking.

Before he left for Chicago Wednesday afternoon Charles A. Comiskey, of the White Sox, declared most emphatically that his team, the Yankees and the Red Sox, if forced to it, could get along without the other five clubs.

Looks like the plan was to replace the Browns with a team in Pittsburgh while Toronto and Montreal would replace Washington and Philadelphia. Toledo was rumored to be involved to replace either Cleveland or Detroit. This article doesn’t say what the other new city would be, but presumably they’d have been looking at places like Columbus, Buffalo, Louisville, Baltimore, and Newark.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: November 07, 2019 at 10:13 AM | 16 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: November 07, 2019 at 10:14 AM (#5899355)
Today's Birthday Team has a nice pitching staff, but not much in terms of position players. Jim Kaat is sixth among November 7 players in career AB.

C: Jake Gibbs (6.7 WAR)
1B: Dick Stuart (7.8 WAR)
2B: Bill Brubaker (3.2 WAR)
3B: Guy Sularz (0.1 WAR)
SS: Alan Strange (-1.3 WAR)
LF: Danny Santana (2.5 WAR)
CF: Willie Norwood (-1.3 WAR)
RF: Andy Tomberlin (-0.8 WAR)

SP: Jim Kaat (50.4 WAR)
SP: Joe Niekro (29.7 WAR)
SP: Sonny Gray (18.3 WAR)
SP: Kris Benson (12.9 WAR)
SP: Joe Hatten (8.1 WAR)
RP: Todd Ritchie (6.2 WAR)
RP: Glendon Rusch (5.2 WAR)
RP: Dave Fleming (5.3 WAR)
RP: Russ Springer (2.7 WAR)

Owner: Hiroshi Yamauchi
Manager/Broadcaster: Buck Martinez
Fun names: The Only Nolan, Billy Ging
Not that one: Tommy Thompson
   2. RJ in TO Posted: November 07, 2019 at 10:26 AM (#5899359)
Dick Stuart's nicknames are listed as Stu, Dr. Strangeglove, Boston Strangler, Stonefingers or The Man With the Iron Glove. Apart from Stu, those are all of high quality.
   3. Itchy Row Posted: November 07, 2019 at 10:39 AM (#5899360)
Buck Martinez should probably find a place for himself in that lineup. He did play a game in RF his rookie year.
   4. mathesond Posted: November 07, 2019 at 10:50 AM (#5899361)
#3 - I was surpised that his career WAR is so low (4.5), considering how long he played. Although, looking at his games played by year, it seems he was the short side of the platoon even before he got to Toronto.
   5. RJ in TO Posted: November 07, 2019 at 10:53 AM (#5899363)
#3 - I was surpised that his career WAR is so low (4.5), considering how long he played. Although, looking at his games played by year, it seems he was the short side of the platoon even before he got to Toronto.

I was actually surprised it was that high, as it's hard to build up much value, even at catcher, when you're a career 73 OPS+ hitter.
   6. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: November 07, 2019 at 11:29 AM (#5899383)
Joe Niekro, Clutch God:
20 postseason innings pitched, zero runs allowed (10-inning start, 8-inning start, 2 innings in relief)
+ 1980 complete Game 163, zero earned runs allowed (capping a 9-1 run from August 17 to season's end)
   7. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: November 07, 2019 at 11:30 AM (#5899384)
   8. eric Posted: November 07, 2019 at 11:45 AM (#5899394)
Seeing Kris Benson's name brought back memories of the now-forgotten BBTF love affair with Anna Benson. I looked at her wikipedia page and...wow...is all I can say. She was/is a character.
   9. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: November 07, 2019 at 11:48 AM (#5899397)
At a glance, Carlos Azuaje and Zach Putnam jump out at me. Azuaje isn't a star or anything, but he's vaguely interesting as an NRI/guy to stash in AAA in case you need an infielder. I know Putnam hasn't pitched in two years, but again, seems like someone who's worth taking a shot on as a low-risk Spring Training arm.

Tim Collins could be interesting. There's the Blass Disease Twins in Scranton: Rosenthal and Brothers. Ryan Merritt was garbage this year, but he'll never have to buy himself a drink in Cleveland - if the Indians think they can fix whatever the heck happened in 2019, I'd be thrilled for them to bring him back. Is it worth paying Matt Bush to rehab for a year in order to get first crack at him for 2021? Probably not but I dunno.
   10. Perry Posted: November 07, 2019 at 01:29 PM (#5899454)
I looked at her wikipedia page and...wow...is all I can say. She was/is a character.

Yeesh. As The Wolf said, just because she is a character doesn't mean she has character.
   11. Itchy Row Posted: November 07, 2019 at 01:47 PM (#5899470)
Kris Benson now runs a business management firm and Anna Benson had her probation modified so she could move out of state with her current husband. So things are working out for both of them.
   12. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: November 07, 2019 at 01:58 PM (#5899477)
I didn't see any great gets at first glance from that milb fa list. Looking at catchers first: Tyler Heineman is a pretty decent hitter for a catcher who showed power for the first time last year (juiced ball), but not young or a great fielder. Francisco Pena is a decent player every few year - last season was one of those times. I've pitched Xavier Fernandez as a R5 possibility in the past - he had a rough year but can hit a bit and been a decent fielder in the past as well. Will only be 25 next season. If healthy, Nick Ciuffo is a decent project to take on as a solid fielder for an upper level spot that you can hope will learn how to hit.
   13. The Yankee Clapper Posted: November 07, 2019 at 02:32 PM (#5899496)
SP: Jim Kaat (50.4 WAR)
One would think that the Hall of Fame could find room for Kaat in the corridor that connects the Players & Broadcasters wings of the Hall.
   14. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 07, 2019 at 07:07 PM (#5899584)
One would think that the Hall of Fame could find room for Kaat in the corridor that connects the Players & Broadcasters wings of the Hall.

Currently occupied by Dizzy Dean and Phil Rizzuto.
   15. Dag Nabbit at ExactlyAsOld.com Posted: November 07, 2019 at 08:37 PM (#5899598)
One of the great forgotten achievements in baseball history is how incredible Jim Kaat was in the last month of the 1967 pennant race. 65.2 IP with an ERA of 1.51? Not bad.

Shame his arm gave out in his last start - but 65.2 IP in a month - no wonder his arm gave out in his last start.
   16. JJ1986 Posted: November 07, 2019 at 08:56 PM (#5899602)
Sicnarf Loopstok is a minor league free agent. There were a couple of former prospects on the list that I didn't know had converted; Trey Ball seems to have busted as a hitter as well and Justin O'Conner is a pitcher now.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Forsch 10 From Navarone (Dayn)
for his generous support.