Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, November 09, 2012

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 11-9-2012

Toledo News-Bee, November 9, 1912:

A guard has been furnished by the Havana chief of police for Umpire [Joe] O’Brien of the American league, because of the hostility of Cuban fans toward him. The Philadelphia Athletics came to Cuba to play a series of games with local clubs and O’Brien came with them.
[O’Brien]: “I don’t mind being hit with pop bottles and bawled out by rival captains and even beaned with a bat, but when it comes to the point where you are lynched if you give a close decision I think it is time to resign and get a safe job, such as working in a dynamite factory or soldiering in the Turkish army.

O’Brien actually may have resigned, though I’m not certain. I do know that he umpired in the American League in 1912, didn’t umpire in the majors in 1913, then returned in the Federal League in 1914-15.

Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: November 09, 2012 at 07:17 AM | 7 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history, international

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: November 09, 2012 at 07:22 AM (#4298708)
Really good Birthday Team today. The rotation is excellent and there are a bunch of position players who'll consistently get on base. Priddy is playing (sort of) out of position at short. There weren't any "real" shortstops available and he played 19 career games there.

C: Johnny Gooch
1B: Adam Dunn
2B: Jack Crooks
3B: Harvey Hendrick
SS: Jerry Priddy
LF: George Wood
CF: Bill Bruton
RF: Dion James

SP: Bob Gibson
SP: Teddy Higuera
SP: Jose Rosado
SP: Nick Maddox
SP: David Bush
RP: Joel Zumaya

Manager: Whitey Herzog
Chaplain: Billy Sunday
   2. Bug Selig Posted: November 09, 2012 at 09:02 AM (#4298719)
Priddy is probably less out-of-position than Dunn:-)
   3. just plain joe Posted: November 09, 2012 at 09:38 AM (#4298727)
Dion James

Looking at bbref.com I see that James had a better career than I first thought. When he was playing I thought that, perhaps, he should have been developed as pitcher instead of as a position player. James was a great pitcher when he was in high school; in a Sacramento winter league game when he was 15-16 I saw him strike out something like 13 batters in 7 innings. This was an adult, open league and many of the players either had been in professional baseball, or were still playing at some level.
   4. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: November 09, 2012 at 10:39 AM (#4298743)
Sigh, Jose Rosado. Most similar at age 23-24: Tom Glavine. Done at 25 with rotator cuff.
He came up in my first year in KC ('96) and was done in my last year there ('00).

5. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: November 10, 2012 at 10:21 AM (#4299496)
Boston signs Dave Ross to a 2 yr deal. Reportedly, he'll be part of a job share (less than starter/more than backup).
Though old, this is probably a good signing.
   6. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: November 11, 2012 at 01:00 PM (#4300034)
old, but new to me:
Ichiro, Hopeful Mushroom Farmer
   7. Nats-Homer-in-DC Posted: November 11, 2012 at 02:45 PM (#4300087)
Rosado would have been among the first crop of Puerto Rican high school ballplayers exposed to the draft (the rule started in 1990). Rosado, however, was not drafted out of this new high school system, but instead matriculated to a junior college in the USA where he was drafted in the 12th round.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Brian
for his generous support.