Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, December 05, 2011

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 12-5-2011

Pittsburgh Gazette Times, December 5, 1911:

HAVANA, Dec. 4.—Manager John McGraw of the New York National Baseball Club, and Umpire Rigler have felt the heavy hand of Cuban law. They have been fined $20 each for making alleged derogatory statements about Cubans.

Last night while dining in a cafe they were accused of making a public declaration that all Cubans were merely negroes, whereupon a policeman was called to arrest the baseball men. McGraw and Rigler stubbornly resisted because the policeman was a negro. Two white policemen appeared and the Americans submitted to arrest.

Well, that’s certainly nauseating.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: December 05, 2011 at 09:30 AM | 27 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history, international

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: December 05, 2011 at 09:38 AM (#4007094)
Miserable birthday team today:

C: Gus Mancuso
1B: Patsy Tebeau
2B: Joe Gedeon
3B: Billy Shindle
SS: Bobby Mattick
LF: Cliff Floyd
CF: Don Padgett
RF: Gary Roenicke

SP: Pink Hawley
SP: Ed Summers
SP: Dave Ferriss
SP: Snake Wiltse
SP: Ray Moss
RP: Felix Rodriguez

Designated Egyptian: Sammy Khalifa
   2. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: December 05, 2011 at 09:42 AM (#4007095)
Speaking of Khalifa, this is a really interesting and disturbing read:
In 1989, a group of religious scholars in Saudi Arabia issued a fatwa (religious edict) against both the father of Sammy Khalifa and author Salman Rushdie. (Rushdie also had a previous edict pronounced against him four days earlier by the Supreme Ruler of Iran.) Whereas Rushdie escaped assasination by living under police custody, Rashad Khalifa was not so lucky. According to Wikipedia, "he (Khalifa) was stabbed 29 times and his body drenched in xylol but not set alight" because of his establishment of religious sect he called the "Submitters".
Yeek.
   3. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: December 05, 2011 at 12:29 PM (#4007102)
Well, that’s certainly nauseating.

Yay for free speech!

Boo for using it to be racist!
   4. Dag Nabbit at ExactlyAsOld.com Posted: December 05, 2011 at 03:36 PM (#4007167)
Historic bit at THT notes that today is 25 years since the Sox stay in Chicago thanks to a classic bit of shifty Illinois politics. The state assembly had until midnight to approve financing for a new stadium, so with midnight approaching . .. .. they unplugged the clocks. Hey, it worked.

Plus a normal list of anniversary events on this day, including: Maddux retiring, Guiliani wanting to make new stadiums for both teams, the Cubs trade Moyer and Palmerio for Mitch Williams, the A's trade Rickey Henderson for the first time, the first invoking of the 10/5 clause, and Cincy trades Curt Flood to the Cards.

TRIVIA QUESTION
As noted, today is the anniversary of the first player invoking the 10/5 rule to veto a trade. Who was that player? I won't stick around to give the answer but if you want the answer, click on the link and go to the early 1970s and look for an item in bold. That's your answer.
   5. Dag Nabbit at ExactlyAsOld.com Posted: December 05, 2011 at 04:20 PM (#4007205)
Santo in the Hall. Others denied.
   6. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: December 05, 2011 at 04:29 PM (#4007216)
I remember it being a forgone conclusion that the White Sox were moving to St. Pete. The Indians moving there was just a rumor, but the White Sox seemed like a go. Then the Giants. Then the Mariners. I wonder if St. Pete would have supported an existing team better than they have the Rays? I always wonder what would have happened, although it would have sucked for any of those fanbases to lose a team.

As noted, today is the anniversary of the first player invoking the 10/5 rule to veto a trade. Who was that player? I won't stick around to give the answer but if you want the answer, click on the link and go to the early 1970s and look for an item in bold. That's your answer.

Interesting day for that trivia, in light of today's news.
   7. kthejoker Posted: December 05, 2011 at 04:32 PM (#4007224)
SANTO! So happy for his family.
   8. Dag Nabbit at ExactlyAsOld.com Posted: December 05, 2011 at 04:43 PM (#4007247)
I wonder if St. Pete would have supported an existing team better than they have the Rays?

I doubt it. Jonah Keri's book makes a good case that the stadium is their real problem. It's located on the wrong side of the bay and has fewer people in a short commute than any other stadium in the majors. Look at them now: they greatly improved their team and they still have some of the worst attendance in the game.
   9. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: December 05, 2011 at 04:43 PM (#4007249)
I wrote a piece about available players for the upcoming Rule 5 draft. Would be interested in feedback, if anyone feels like giving it a read.
   10. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: December 05, 2011 at 08:36 PM (#4007414)
I came here expressly to post a link to your preview, Vlad - I think you did a fantastic job.
   11. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: December 05, 2011 at 08:41 PM (#4007425)
Thanks Vlad, I have been looking for a good preview.
   12. Addison Russell T. Davies (chris h.) Posted: December 05, 2011 at 08:54 PM (#4007438)
Terrific article, Vlad. Way more detail than I was expecting (though why that is I couldn't say).

Also, I think Josh Smoker is a cool name.
   13. vortex of dissipation Posted: December 05, 2011 at 09:02 PM (#4007451)
HAVANA, Dec. 4.—Manager John McGraw of the New York National Baseball Club, and Umpire Rigler have felt the heavy hand of Cuban law. They have been fined $20 each for making alleged derogatory statements about Cubans.

Last night while dining in a cafe they were accused of making a public declaration that all Cubans were merely negroes, whereupon a policeman was called to arrest the baseball men. McGraw and Rigler stubbornly resisted because the policeman was a negro. Two white policemen appeared and the Americans submitted to arrest.

What's interesting about that is that there isn't another major figure in baseball during that era who was as complimentary about black players as McGraw. He was very impressed with players such as Oscar Charleston and Pop Lloyd, and said so in the press. I'm absolutely convinced, despite those remarks, that McGraw was only interested in putting the best team on the field that he could, and that he would have used players of any race if they were available (see the Charlie Grant saga...)
   14. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: December 05, 2011 at 09:05 PM (#4007453)
Glad you liked it, guys. Anything you would have done differently? Should I have sorted players by position, rather than alpha by last name?
   15. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: December 05, 2011 at 09:37 PM (#4007489)
That might help, but I read the whole thing, so I didn't mind.

Took a while to load because of all the embeds though.
   16. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: December 05, 2011 at 09:39 PM (#4007497)
Glad you liked it, guys. Anything you would have done differently? Should I have sorted players by position, rather than alpha by last name?

Let's start with this; it's fantastic work. Thorough, insightful and I think you did a good job of presenting positive and negative. I didn't get the sense of any agenda on your part as I read through it.

On the negative side I have just two suggestions. You addressed one already with the sorting. I think it would have provided a bit of helpful context. The other is the linking in the piece gets a bit disjointed to me. The other is a bit of a nitpick but since you asked I would remove the wording underneath the embedded video. For example, you have;

Cesar Cabral...

Text

Video

Cesar Cabral in 2009

Danny Carroll

Since you've got it embedded I don't think you need the link there. If you are scanning the piece quickly you kind of think you missed someone at first. I think the embedded video should just be the end of the section.

It's excellent though. Those are two minor things.
   17. Joe Kehoskie Posted: December 05, 2011 at 09:47 PM (#4007510)
I wrote a piece about available players for the upcoming Rule 5 draft. Would be interested in feedback, if anyone feels like giving it a read.

Great effort. Very interesting.

One thing that makes Rule 5 previews so interesting is the lack of consensus. Everyone sees different possibilities in different players. (E.g., one of my Rule 5 favorites, RHRP Johan Yan (Texas), hasn't even made it onto half the lists I've seen.)
   18. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: December 06, 2011 at 01:37 AM (#4007745)
Dodgers sign Jerry Hairston Jr. to a 2/$6 mill deal.

The Dodgers will spend $14 million in 2012 on their FA class from the last few weeks that includes Hairston, Matt Treanor, Adam Kennedy, Mark Ellis, Juan Rivera, and Chris Capuano. Nice.
   19. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: December 06, 2011 at 01:59 AM (#4007750)
Matt Capps back to the Twins for one year plus an option. No financial terms yet.

Interesting note by Danny Knobler - 38 year old Dmitri Young has lost 70 pounds and is looking for a contract. He says he'll go to Japan if he doesn't get any offers.
   20. Dan Posted: December 06, 2011 at 02:23 AM (#4007757)
The Dodgers signed Harang too. They're really monopolizing the Grade C FA market.
   21. Craig in MN Posted: December 06, 2011 at 04:05 AM (#4007808)

Matt Capps back to the Twins for one year plus an option. No financial terms yet.

$4.5 million, with a $6 million option. I'm starting to wonder more about the philosophical differences that led to Bill Smith being replaced by Terry Ryan. His (unknown) philosophy doesn't seem so bad any more.
   22. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: December 06, 2011 at 04:29 AM (#4007821)
Danny Knobler
that's not a real name, is it?
   23. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: December 06, 2011 at 04:35 AM (#4007827)
Danny Knobler
that's not a real name, is it?

Of course not. His real first name is Gobb.
   24. Morty Causa Posted: December 06, 2011 at 05:38 AM (#4007856)
Yeah, I bet the word "negro" was what was said. It would be interesting to know if this had been investigated further and written about.
   25. Something Other Posted: December 06, 2011 at 07:33 AM (#4007877)
One thing that makes Rule 5 previews so interesting is the lack of consensus. Everyone sees different possibilities in different players. (E.g., one of my Rule 5 favorites, RHRP Johan Yan (Texas), hasn't even made it onto half the lists I've seen.)
It also makes it one of the great opportunities for pure scouting to do its work.

Dodgers sign Jerry Hairston Jr. to a 2/$6 mill deal.

The Dodgers will spend $14 million in 2012 on their FA class from the last few weeks that includes Hairston, Matt Treanor, Adam Kennedy, Mark Ellis, Juan Rivera, and Chris Capuano. Nice.
I'm less sanguine. While I think big-budget teams can do themselves enormous good by properly filling in at the margins, 2/10 for Capuano seems excessive. His arm finally held up for a season, and it wasn't a good season. His K and BBs looked good, but boy, on the mound he didn't.
   26. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: December 06, 2011 at 03:16 PM (#4008016)
I think AG#1F was being sarcastic, something other.

FWIW, Yan and Danks (who Vlad covered in a comment) were the two guys whose omission surprised me.

One thing that makes Rule 5 previews so interesting is the lack of consensus. Everyone sees different possibilities in different players.

It's one of the reasons I have a disproportionate love for this draft.

As for presentation, what you did worked if you assume the reader was some familiarity with this stuff going in. For a different venue, where you're talking about the history of the draft, why certainly players tend to get picked and others don't, etc... you might want to then group the players that way (like, here's a bunch of middle infield types, here's some LOOGYs - maybe what BA sort of did with role players v. lottery tickets, etc...). Since you did away with that exposition, alphabetical is good - it does away with some of the false certainty that, say, a ranking suggests.
   27. Something Other Posted: December 06, 2011 at 10:07 PM (#4008573)
I think AG#1F was being sarcastic, something other.
Ah. That briefly occurred to me, but my meter is a little off these days. I thought it was juuust possible he felt that the FO had done a good job of filling in at the margins.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Stormy JE
for his generous support.