Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, December 14, 2012

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 12-10-2012

Pittsburgh Press, December 14, 1912:

[Honus Wagner] has a regular winter program which he carries through every year. It runs something like this: October, hunt and play with his dogs and chickens; November, attend to his chickens, dogs and automobile and hunt. December, attend to his dogs, chickens and automobile, and make one trip to Pittsburg; January attend to his auto, dogs and chickens. February, attend to his auto, chickens, and dogs; March, go south.

Seems like Honus was a really cool, down-to-earth guy.

On the other end of the spectrum, there’s Cleveland Naps pitcher Roy Walker, who’s just been convicted of “assault with intent to kill” and sentenced to ten years in prison. The linked article says a motion for a new trial had been made and I guess it succeeded, because Walker threw 181 innings in the minors in 1913.

Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: December 14, 2012 at 07:11 AM | 9 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history, honus wagner, roy walker

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: December 14, 2012 at 07:22 AM (#4324540)
Catchers out the wazoo on today's Birthday Team:

C: Jerry May
1B: Scott Hatteberg
2B: Craig Biggio
3B: Bobby Adams
SS: Les Bell
LF: Bill Buckner
CF: John Anderson
RF: Dave Nilsson

SP: Ken Hill
SP: Lefty Tyler
SP: Toothpick Sam Jones
SP: Eddie Smith
SP: Shaun Marcum
RP: Billy Koch

Manager: O.P. Caylor
Quarterback: Josh Fields
Fun Name: Rusty Peters
   2. Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: December 14, 2012 at 07:32 AM (#4324543)
Also, it's Rodrigo Rosario's birthday. You may or may not remember him - I did only vaguely, so I looked at his BBRef page to refresh my memory.

Weird career: He came up to the Astros in June '03 and started two games, both against the Rangers in interleague play. During the second game, he blew out his shoulder on what appears to have been the last pitch of the second inning. They had to pinch hit for Rosario in the top of the third, so Jimy Williams used...Wade Miller. A pitcher who wasn't a particularly good hitter.

When I noticed this, I thought "Well, I guess that makes sense. If Miller was going to pitch anyway, they may as well save their bench for later in the game." But Miller didn't pitch. Kirk Saarloos did.

I'm not sure I have any idea what Jimy was doing. How often do teams completely run out of position players, especially back when 14/11 was a standard roster construction?
   3. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: December 14, 2012 at 10:27 AM (#4324586)
   4. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: December 14, 2012 at 12:09 PM (#4324726)
Not baseball, but of stat-y/sporty interest: The Memphis Grizzlies (NBA) have hired John Hollinger (ESPN.com) as a VP ... Hollinger has played a significant role as a journalist/stat dude in generating and promoting statistical analysis for the masses. (He's drawn Bill James comps, which I think is unfair to both parties in several respects, but it's not totally unreasonable.)
   5. J.R. Wolf Posted: December 14, 2012 at 02:54 PM (#4324901)
When some players started working out in the offseason, because baseball salaries were finally high enough to allow them to do that instead of working, anyone who wanted to keep up in a competitive sport had to begin working out in tne offseason as well.The idea of taking the offseason "off" died right about then.
   6. something like a train wreck Posted: December 14, 2012 at 03:52 PM (#4324970)
I believe that Wagner was actually known for being one of the few players that did work out during the offseason, including serious weight training.
   7. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: December 14, 2012 at 04:11 PM (#4324993)
I'm sure someone else has noticed this, but the 2010 Cubs were a Robin Ventura hire away from being the "All How I Met Your Mother" Team.

Ted Lilly
Sean Marshall
Darwin Barney

Maybe shoulda signed Robinson Cancel?
   8. JJ1986 Posted: December 14, 2012 at 04:29 PM (#4325016)
Robinson Chirinos was in there system somewhere at that point.
   9. Walt Davis Posted: December 14, 2012 at 07:10 PM (#4325179)
C: Jerry May
1B: Scott Hatteberg
2B: Craig Biggio
3B: Bobby Adams
SS: Les Bell
LF: Bill Buckner
CF: John Anderson
RF: Dave Nilsson

SP: Ken Hill
SP: Lefty Tyler
SP: Toothpick Sam Jones
SP: Eddie Smith
SP: Shaun Marcum
RP: Billy Koch

Manager: O.P. Caylor
Quarterback: Josh Fields
Fun Name: Rusty Peters

Also:

Geek: Sean Forman

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
HowardMegdal
for his generous support.