Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 12-11-2013

Toledo News-Bee, December 11, 1913:

With the bids for Joe Tinker, deposed manager of the Cincinnati Reds, being constantly raised, it was suggested Thursday that a good auctioneer mount a chair in peacock alley of the Waldorf hotel, and knock down the crack shortstop to the highest bidder of the National league.

Brooklyn is now prepared to pay $30,000 for Tinker, it was stated Thursday. Charles W. Murphy of the Chicago Cubs, just back from Europe said he “would outbid any other man” for Tinker’s services.

Yeah, well, he didn’t. Tinker jumped to the Chi-Feds for $12,000 a year, then played cromulently in 1914 and sparingly in 1915 before closing out his career with a cameo for the 1916 Cubs.

Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: December 11, 2013 at 06:46 AM | 7 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history, joe tinker

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: December 11, 2013 at 06:50 AM (#4615743)
"Listen, Derek. Don't go into Operation Shutdown or anything, but we may need you to play third base on today's Birthday Team."

The other option is to bench Thomas Howard, play Bell in center field, and play Andy Tracy at third, which I'd actually kind of dig because Tracy and I attended the same university at the same time. But Andy only had 64 career hits, less than ten percent as many as the guy who would be benched.

Bell played 19 games at third for the '93 Padres.

C: Art Wilson
1B: Johnny Walker
2B: Rob Andrews
3B: Derek Bell
SS: Jay Bell
LF: Lee Maye
CF: Thomas Howard
RF: Bill Nicholson

SP: Old Hoss Radbourn
SP: Fred Toney
SP: Hal Brown
SP: Joe Blanton
SP: Slim Harriss
RP: Mike Henneman

Punter/Backup 3B: Andy Tracy
   2. BDC Posted: December 11, 2013 at 10:01 AM (#4615777)
Bill Nicholson was a guy who never got much respect, even from Cub fans. He was a primeval TTO hitter, branded with the nickname "Swish" even though he led the league in strikeouts only once and his career high was all of 91. And then to add to his image troubles, his big years came during the war and were largely discounted by observers. His SABR bio page says that he was rejected by the military for colorblindness. He was eventually diagnosed with diabetes (probably Type Two, I reckon; he lived into his 80s). He would have had good numbers even absent the war, though perhaps not have been a HR/RBI champ.
   3. Rennie's Tenet Posted: December 11, 2013 at 10:22 AM (#4615789)
Bell played 19 games at third for the '93 Padres.

.820 fielding percentage. If there was an American version of Dr. Who, you could build an episode around this.
   4. Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: December 11, 2013 at 10:41 AM (#4615802)
.820 fielding percentage.
There's no good solution to third base today. A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably put Derek Bell in CF, Jay Bell at third, and Johnny O'Brien at short.
   5. Mike Webber Posted: December 11, 2013 at 12:43 PM (#4615884)
Which is better OOTP baseball or Baseball Mogul?

Also Football Mogul, thumbs up or thumbs down?
   6. salvomania Posted: December 11, 2013 at 12:52 PM (#4615892)
I think any day you have twins you have to get them both in the lineup; Johnny was a perfectly acceptable 2b in 1955, and Eddie at least played 11 games at 3b.

Both Eddie and Johnnie also pitched a little in the bigs, with Eddie in 1957 putting up a 2.19 era in 12.1 ip (including one start), with 10/3 K/BB.

Johnnie pitched in 8 games in 1956, with a 2.84 era over 19 ip, but given more pitching opportunities the following year was pretty terrible in 40 ip.

Still, they were twins who formed the "keystone combo" in several games for the Pirates, and who also, on July 31, 1956, combined to throw 4 scoreless innings (two apiece) against the Cardinals.
   7. Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: December 11, 2013 at 01:14 PM (#4615911)
I think OOTP is better than Mogul - it's certainly more in-depth and more realistic. OOTP offers a lot more in season-type options, and Mogul is more "set a lineup and let it ride as you blow through a season in 20 minutes".

That's not to say that Mogul is bad, because it's not. It's just good at something different.

I haven't played Football Mogul since the very first season it came out, so I can't say. It felt like it had a lot of promise, but was buggy and seemed rushed. If they've hammered out the bugs, I'd expect it to be really good.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Francis
for his generous support.