Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, December 16, 2013

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 12-16-2013

Pittsburgh Press, December 16, 1913:

August Herrmann, chairman of the National commission, denied a report…that he would resign as president of the Cincinnati baseball club, following the action of the board of directors in refusing to sanction the…sale of the deposed manager, Joseph B. Tinker, to the Brooklyn club for $25,000.
A great many Cincinnati fans are inclined to laugh at “Garry” these days. Until the past few days everyone thought he was the real owner of the Reds, but the action of the representatives of the [Julius] Fleischmann interests in the club has tended to show that the chairman of the National commission is not supreme in his own club, and that, though president, he must occasionally take orders as well as must the manager.

They should have pocketed the $25,000. As far as I know, they got nothing when Tinker jumped to the Federal League.

Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: December 16, 2013 at 06:46 AM | 9 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, garry herrmann, history, joe tinker

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: December 16, 2013 at 06:57 AM (#4618686)
It's not a good sign when I know absolutely nothing about the Birthday Team's career leader in hits (Hotaling). I read his SABR bio, and it appears he was the first pro ballplayer to wear a mask while catching. So that's something.

The first base situation is kind of a trainwreck. Jones only made ten appearances at first, but the other option (McSorley) only played in 43 games total. Jones it is.

C: Bryan Anderson
1B: Chris Jones
2B: Billy Ripken
3B: Sammy Strang
SS: Alcides Escobar
LF: Adolfo Phillips
CF: Pete Hotaling
RF: Rick Sofield

SP: Mike Flanagan
SP: Tony Kaufmann
SP: Hector Santiago
SP: Tyler Chatwood
SP: Matt Kinney
RP: Joe Berry

Fun Names: Barbra O'Neil "Neil" Chrisley, Trick McSorley, Scrappy Moore, Emil Mailho
Punter: Chris Jelic
   2. Dag Nabbit is part of the zombie horde Posted: December 16, 2013 at 08:14 AM (#4618690)
Up at THT: The unique career of Red Ruffing. The best part is toward the end, where I try to quantify the value of Ruffing's bat and apply that value to his pitching stats.
   3. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: December 16, 2013 at 12:45 PM (#4618866)
Gavin Floyd to ATL rumored terms: 1/4m, no option, 4.5m of incentives. (from Heyman, via mlbtr)
   4. Dock Ellis on Acid Posted: December 16, 2013 at 04:37 PM (#4619059)
White Sox trade closer Addison Reed to the Diamondbacks for 3B Matt Davidson, their 1st round pick in 2009.

Davidson has pretty good minor league numbers and appears major-league ready. It looks like this could be a steal for the White Sox by selling Addison high.
   5. Misirlou's been working for the drug squad Posted: December 16, 2013 at 04:47 PM (#4619067)
That is an awful birthday team. I recognize only 3 names. Maybe 4. Is Escobar the best player on the team?
   6. just plain joe Posted: December 16, 2013 at 04:55 PM (#4619069)
That is an awful birthday team. I recognize only 3 names. Maybe 4. Is Escobar the best player on the team?

I would say that Mike Flanagan was better than Escobar for sure, and I would think Adolfo Phillips was better as well. Still a pretty weak birthday team though.
   7. JJ1986 Posted: December 16, 2013 at 04:57 PM (#4619072)
Is Escobar the best player on the team?

I think Flanagan was better.
   8. Good cripple hitter Posted: December 16, 2013 at 06:08 PM (#4619143)
I would say that Mike Flanagan was better than Escobar for sure, and I would think Adolfo Phillips was better as well. Still a pretty weak birthday team though.

I only know him from Strat, but Sammy Strang was a pretty useful ballplayer. I'd put him above Escobar.
   9. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: December 17, 2013 at 04:10 PM (#4619750)
Grant Balfour to the O's for 2/$15 mill

Matt Thornton to the Yanks for 2/$7 mill

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Ray (RDP)
for his generous support.