Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, December 21, 2012

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 12-21-2012

El Paso Herald, December 21, 1912:

Madison Mills, Va., boasts of having the only baseball team in the world composed entirely of brothers. If another team exists anywhere, the Gillums brothers desire to tackle them next summer in a series of games for the championship of something or other. The father managers the team. The oldest brother is 43 and the youngest is 16.

I guess there’d be a trophy or something.

Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: December 21, 2012 at 07:18 AM | 9 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: December 21, 2012 at 07:22 AM (#4329911)
I'm always a bit gunshy about putting Negro Leaguers on the Birthday Teams unless they're obviously better than any eligble MLB player.

Today's catcher is obviously better than any eligible MLB player.

C: Josh Gibson
1B: John Mayberry Jr.
2B: Freddy Sanchez
3B: Elliott Maddox
SS: D'Angelo Jimenez
LF: Dave Kingman
CF: Andy Van Slyke
RF: Cy Williams

SP: Bob Rush
SP: Joaquin Andujar
SP: Dustin Hermanson
SP: LaTroy Hawkins
SP: Howie Reed
RP: Tom Henke
RP/Second Spitter: Roger McDowell

Not *that* one: Jack Daniels
   2. LooseCannon Posted: December 21, 2012 at 10:01 AM (#4329951)
The Negro Leagues were full of teams composed entirely of brothers, but probably not cornball brothers.
   3. RMc is a fine piece of cheese Posted: December 21, 2012 at 11:02 AM (#4330009)
I'm always a bit gunshy about putting Negro Leaguers on the Birthday Teams

Obligatory.

Actually, how accurate are MLEs for Negro Leaguers? Don't we have a pretty good idea how good they were?
   4. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: December 21, 2012 at 11:13 AM (#4330033)
Obligatory.
I know, I know. There's no real reason that the Blanco Leagues are generally considered "major" and the Negro Leagues aren't, other than "that's the way it's always been done." Which is a justification I just hate. (Cue Bruce Hornsby.)

In (un?)fairness, I also generally don't include NPB, KBO, Cuban, and Mexican League stars on Birthday Teams.
Actually, how accurate are MLEs for Negro Leaguers? Don't we have a pretty good idea how good they were?
The stats are still, to this day, being collected and compiled in a lot of cases, aren't they? Certainly I haven't seen a lot of park effects data with Negro Leagues stats, and I'm fairly sure some of the parks had crazy dimensions that impacted the stats.

And I'm probably a bit more cautious than I need to be when it comes to MLEs that come from outside the confines of North American Caucasian Organized Baseball. The NPB MLEs I've seen seem to completely miss the mark more often than I'd like, and that experience has affected how I view NNL (et al) stats.
   5. Steve N Posted: December 21, 2012 at 11:47 AM (#4330083)
That's a pretty good team. No real weaknesses.

I have never heard of MLE's for the Negro leagues. Not even an attempt. I think that the level of talent is largely exaggerated. I read a recent book about integration of the major leagues, sorry can't remember the title, and most of the players in the Negro leagues, including some stars, didn't make it. Of course there were some really great ones that did. Even Aaron played a year, I believe.
   6. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: December 21, 2012 at 02:37 PM (#4330362)
Liriano 2/14 w/ PIT.
   7. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: December 21, 2012 at 02:54 PM (#4330376)
Liriano has made 52 starts over the last 2 years? My guess would have been 20. My guess of over 5 for the ERA was right on, though.
   8. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: December 21, 2012 at 03:02 PM (#4330381)
Casey McGehee to join Andruw Jones with the Rakuten Eagles.
   9. Random Transaction Generator Posted: December 21, 2012 at 10:07 PM (#4330679)

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Andere Richtingen
for his generous support.