Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 12-26-2012

Tacoma Times, December 26, 1912:

Lou [Nordyke] slipped quietly into the Argonaut restaurant, scaled a stool at the lunch counter and sought to appease his hunger with an order of “‘am and.”
[The waiter] declares in a summons to court and a complaint against the baseball hero which is in the hands of Sheriff Longmire today, that [after the order took an hour,] Nordy smote him some. Smiting, he says, is mighty bad for his high strung nerves, besides being sort of uncomfortable to his feelings. He therefore wants $1,500 personal damages from Nordyke.

Oh, please. As if Nordyke could hit with any sort of power.

Dan Lee prefers good shortstops to great paintings Posted: December 26, 2012 at 07:05 AM | 9 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history, lou nordyke

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee prefers good shortstops to great paintings Posted: December 26, 2012 at 07:10 AM (#4332379)
Not a great Birthday Team today, despite the two Hall of Famers.

C: Carlton Fisk
1B: Chris Chambliss
2B: Omar Infante
3B: Jeff King
SS: Ozzie Smith
LF: Jeff Stone
CF: Lee King
RF: White Wings Tebeau

SP: Ray Sadecki
SP: Storm Davis
SP: Al Jackson
SP: Al Milnar
SP: Herman Pillette
RP: Stu Miller

Good Field, No Hit: Mario Mendoza
Not that one: Chris Carpenter
   2. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: December 26, 2012 at 08:21 AM (#4332381)
Walk offs come to mind looking at that team today. Fisk and Ozzie had legendary walk off homers and Stone had the walk off hit in one of the most exciting baseball games I've ever seen.
   3. Guapo Posted: December 26, 2012 at 08:58 AM (#4332387)
Chambliss had a legendary walk off HR as well.
   4. Dag Nabbit: secretary of the World Banana Forum Posted: December 26, 2012 at 09:27 AM (#4332392)
15,000 days ago, the Dodgers made two trades involving prominent players. That puts us in the 1971-72 offseason. Can you guess who any of the players involved in the trades were before clicking on the link?
   5. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: December 26, 2012 at 09:35 AM (#4332393)
I just looked up Herman Pillette semi-randomly. A 275 inning 136 ERA+ rookie season at age 25, a 250 inning 101 ERA+ at 26 and then only had 3 starts/16 relief appearances the next year for an 87 ERA+ and gone from the majors for good. It looks like he pitched regularly in the PCL until age 40 and pitched sparingly there through age 49. Wikipedia offers no insight why he disappeared from the majors permanently.

That's Herman Polycarp Pillette by the way. Father of Duane, born in dad's rookie year, who pitched mehly for the Browns/Orioles in the 50s.
   6. Greg K Posted: December 26, 2012 at 09:52 AM (#4332396)
A friend of mine gave me all of James' Abstracts for Christmas and I was just reading the 1984 entry for Dickie Thon.

He ranks Thon number 2 among SS behind Yount.
"why do I have this feeling that some tragedy is waiting for him? Things seem too perfect, too good, as if someone was setting him up for something..."
   7. Misirlou is on hiding to nowhere Posted: December 26, 2012 at 11:52 AM (#4332427)
Dick Allen for Tommy John

edit: And Frank Robinson for ???
   8. vortex of dissipation Posted: December 26, 2012 at 01:09 PM (#4332470)
Wikipedia offers no insight why he disappeared from the majors permanently.

His son, Duane Pillette, wrote a letter quoted on a web site explaining that after his father broke his knee-cap from a line drive late in the 1923 season, and struggled through the 1924 season, the Tigers told him he was through. I assume they released him. The family moved back to the west coast, where Pillette was from (he was from Oregon). A friend who was a pitcher in the PCL recommended a different doctor, and Pillette went to see him, rehabilitated his injury, and signed with Vernon in the PCL.

I'd speculate that it was a combination of the doctors in the majors assuming he was through, and then after he rejuvinated his career in the PCL, where he was closer to home, he just may have felt more comfortable and happy there.
   9. AndrewJ Posted: December 26, 2012 at 06:48 PM (#4332655)
He ranks Thon number 2 among SS behind Yount.
"why do I have this feeling that some tragedy is waiting for him? Things seem too perfect, too good, as if someone was setting him up for something..."

Hate to call you out on this, but I just found my copy of the 1984 Abstract, and that quote (on page 209) was actually about Cal Ripken.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BarrysLazyBoy
for his generous support.