Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, December 31, 2012

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 12-31-2012

Milwaukee Sentinel, December 31, 1912:

Another major league is about to be launched. Plans have been formed and most of the preliminary work has been accomplished for the re-organization of the United States league of last year on safer and saner lines.
Plenty of money has been promised to see this league through the season, even if the patronage is not sufficient to meet the expenses.

The USL: Like a bad penny.

Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: December 31, 2012 at 07:25 AM | 11 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: December 31, 2012 at 07:26 AM (#4335157)
An awful Birthday Team today. It's the baseball version of King and his court.

C: Al Lakeman
1B: Pete Sweeney
2B: Bobby Byrne
3B: Jerry McCormick
SS/Manager: King Kelly
LF: Donell Nixon
CF: Joe Simpson
RF: Walt Goldsby

SP: Esteban Loaiza
SP: Syl Johnson
SP: Fred Beebe
SP: Brian Moehler
SP: Tommy Byrne
RP: Rick Aguilera

Umpire: Tom Connolly
   2. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: December 31, 2012 at 08:59 AM (#4335184)
Dan - thanks for the daily dugouts and birthday teams. It's been a lot of fun.

As a Red Sox fan 2012 kind of sucked but it was a hell of a baseball season. Great to see Oakland and Baltimore jump back into the playoffs and the emergence of Harper and Trout (who will forever be linked I imagine). As a kid I was fascinated by the Triple Crown so I found it truly exciting to see Cabrera win it and while there were a bunch of no hitters seeing Johan Santana finally break the Mets' streak was my personal favorite.
   3. Dag Nabbit is part of the zombie horde Posted: December 31, 2012 at 09:05 AM (#4335188)
   4. Hello Rusty Kuntz, Goodbye Rusty Cars Posted: December 31, 2012 at 10:55 AM (#4335238)
I never knew Loiaza was married to somebody famous until she died. Of course, I'd never heard about her before then, and there are probably a lot of things I don't know about Esteban Loaiza's personal life.
   5. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: December 31, 2012 at 12:08 PM (#4335276)
Dan - thanks for the daily dugouts and birthday teams. It's been a lot of fun.
Thank you, Edmundo. I never have any idea what's going to happen in any given dugout, but they're always interesting.

Tomorrow (if I can finish up the schedule file in time) the actual Birthday League begins. Greg (U)K, Fernigal McGunnigle, Meatwad, and I have been building 25-man rosters for each date. Each month, I'll run that month's teams through a 154-game season using Strat-O-Matic's career normalized player files, and we'll see what happens. It's not going to be a perfect representation of what such a league would actually be like, but it's a fascinating exercise anyway.

I'll keep everybody updated.
   6. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: December 31, 2012 at 02:11 PM (#4335398)
   7. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: December 31, 2012 at 02:54 PM (#4335431)
Tomorrow (if I can finish up the schedule file in time) the actual Birthday League begins. Greg (U)K, Fernigal McGunnigle, Meatwad, and I have been building 25-man rosters for each date. Each month, I'll run that month's teams through a 154-game season using Strat-O-Matic's career normalized player files, and we'll see what happens.

This should be great. I'm really excited to see what happens!
   8. vortex of dissipation Posted: December 31, 2012 at 03:48 PM (#4335488)
I'd also like to add my thanks for the birthday teams. I've enjoyed them very much.
   9. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: December 31, 2012 at 11:27 PM (#4335711)
the birthday teams are a lot of fun; thanks!

royals signed endy chavez and miguel tejada, the latter to a big league deal.
i don't get it...
   10. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: December 31, 2012 at 11:52 PM (#4335720)
Since you've already thanked me, I'll add my thanks for the birthday team, Dan. :)
   11. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: January 01, 2013 at 02:04 AM (#4335759)
Miguel Tejada? Endy Chavez? What year is this?

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Piehole of David Wells
for his generous support.