Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 12-3-2013

Joe Kelley quoted in the Pittsburgh Press, December 3, 1913:

Years ago, Baltimore and Boston - and they were some ball clubs - tried to play a polite, courteous game, to see how it would work.
The first half inning was lovely. Even when Tim Hurst called a strike on Tom McCarthy that was a foot high, there was no outbreak. “Wasn’t that ball a trifle high, Mr. Umpire?” Tom asked, all courtesy. “I fear I may have erred in judgment, Mr. McCarthy, kindly overlook it if you will,” replied Tim with a grin.
But the blow off came in the second…Reitz made a dash for the plate on what he thought was a passed ball. The Boston catcher recovered the ball, but as he dove for the plate Jennings wandered into him and spilled him ten feet away.

“Out for interference!” yelped Hurst - and then everybody arrived at the plate in a bunch.

“You Irish loafer!” shrieked Reitz, “what am I out for?”

“You red-headed stiff!” roared the Boston catcher at Jennings, “I ought to knock your block off and for two cents I’d do it.”

“You’re a piece of cheese,” snarled Jennings, “and this bum umpire is a porch-climbing burglar.”

“For Moses’ sake, remember”, I butted in, “that this is supposed to be a polite and courteous game to prove we know how to behave.” And somebody hit me across the map with a catcher’s glove.

So many questions. “You’re a piece of cheese”? “Hit me across the map”?

Dan Lee prefers good shortstops to great paintings Posted: December 03, 2013 at 06:36 AM | 16 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, heinie reitz, history, hughie jennings, joe kelley, tommy mccarthy

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee prefers good shortstops to great paintings Posted: December 03, 2013 at 06:41 AM (#4609312)
Today's Birthday Team is probably better than yesterday's, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's good.

C: Clay Dalrymple
1B: Harry Simpson
2B: Chico Salmon
3B: Wayne Garrett
SS: Steve Huntz
LF: Darryl Hamilton
CF/Manager: Joe Birmingham
RF: Cozy Dolan

SP: Paul Byrd
SP: Gene Nelson
SP: Walt Dickson
SP: Charlie Wagner
SP: Chad Durbin
RP: Manuel Corpas

Fun Names: Lafayette Currence, Hooks Iott
Designated Australian: Chris Snelling
Suffered Career-Ending Injury In Train Crash: Louis Drucke
   2. Rennie's Tenet Posted: December 03, 2013 at 09:02 AM (#4609330)
I think "porch-climbing burglar" has handle potential.
   3. Dan Lee prefers good shortstops to great paintings Posted: December 03, 2013 at 10:28 AM (#4609375)
I missed it yesterday, but the Tribe non-tendered Lou Marson. He's a cromulent warm body and has a future as a card-carrying member of the Backup Catchers' Association of America, but he was #3 on the depth chart in Cleveland and wasn't going to do anybody any good in Columbus next year.

Decent glove, can draw a walk, no power, career OBP higher than career SLG. Nothing special, but he's a better ballplayer than Drew Butera.
   4. Hang down your head, Tom Foley Posted: December 03, 2013 at 11:12 AM (#4609421)
I was looking at the Play Index for anybody who's still around from before the 1994 strike, and six players showed up. I knew about A-Rod and Darren Oliver, and I wasn't surprised by Manny and Miguel Batista, but I found out Ismael Valdez apparently made a comeback in the Mexican League this year.

There was also a sixth player I'd never heard of- Pedro Castellano, who last played in the major leagues in 1996, but played 13 games in Mexico in 2013. It was his 25th professional season. He was originally signed by the Cubs during the Reagan administration with whatever money was left over from installing lights at Wrigley and then taken by the Rockies in the expansion draft.
   5. Rennie's Tenet Posted: December 03, 2013 at 11:15 AM (#4609426)
Birthday pitcher Broadway Charlie Wagner was with the Red Sox organization for more than 70 years. He was extensively profiled in Dollar Sign on the Muscle.
   6. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: December 03, 2013 at 12:57 PM (#4609534)
Joe Nathan to the Tigers on a 2 year deal

Brian Wilson to the Dodgers
   7. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: December 03, 2013 at 02:16 PM (#4609605)
Lou Marson -- one of the key players in the first bunch-of-meh-bodies-for-Cliff Lee trade.

Has one guy ever been in so many lopsided trades? Lee, not Marson. :)
   8. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: December 03, 2013 at 02:17 PM (#4609608)
MORE CATCHERS ON THE MOVE

Rays get C Ryan Hanigan. Full trade not yet known, possibly a three way deal.
   9. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: December 03, 2013 at 02:19 PM (#4609613)

David Cone:

Traded by the Kansas City Royals with Chris Jelic to the New York Mets for Rick Anderson, Mauro Gozzo and Ed Hearn.
Traded by the New York Mets to the Toronto Blue Jays for a player to be named later and Jeff Kent. The Toronto Blue Jays sent Ryan Thompson (September 1, 1992) to the New York Mets to complete the trade.
Traded by the Kansas City Royals to the Toronto Blue Jays for David Sinnes (minors), Tony Medrano (minors) and Chris Stynes.
Traded by the Toronto Blue Jays to the New York Yankees for Jason Jarvis (minors), Mike Gordon (minors) and Marty Janzen.

Okay, Kent ended up being pretty good.
   10. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: December 03, 2013 at 02:38 PM (#4609638)
AG, sorry, I didn't mean to hit a sore spot. :)
   11. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: December 03, 2013 at 02:42 PM (#4609649)
A's get OF Craig Gentry from TEX for OF Michael Choice.
   12. Dag Nabbit: secretary of the World Banana Forum Posted: December 03, 2013 at 02:52 PM (#4609657)

I've always had a soft spot for the two Frank Duffy trades the Giants made. I assume Treder & other Giants fans have a less-than-soft spot for them, though.
   13. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: December 03, 2013 at 03:44 PM (#4609717)
Dag, I didn't realize that Duffy was in both those trades. Looking at Gaylord Perry's career, I forgot how long he stayed good. Maybe not great for very many years but damned good and workhorsey forever. I bet the Jack Morris people would think they were very similar.
   14. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: December 03, 2013 at 03:49 PM (#4609721)
There is a run on proven closers and catchers and I do not understand why.
   15. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: December 03, 2013 at 04:53 PM (#4609800)
Twitter says Salty to the Marlins.
   16. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: December 03, 2013 at 10:45 PM (#4610126)
Phillies get P Brad Lincoln from Toronto for C Erik Kratz and P Rob Rasmussen

What a wild first day of the Winter Meetings!

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
dirk
for his generous support.