Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 1-23-2018

Toledo News-Bee, January 23, 1918:

Eddie Plank declared [in Philadelphia] on Wednesday he will not sign a contract to pitch for the Yankees.

“I said last summer when I quit that I was thru [sic] for all time,” the veteran hurler announced, “and I meant it.

“If my refusal to sign calls off the deal between the Yanks and Browns, I am sorry, but I cannot help it.”

I’d love to know what the Yankees were thinking. Plank was 42 years old and retired.

Elsewhere on the same page of the News-Bee, it’s reported that “it is the common belief in baseball circles that Rogers Hornsby has played his last ball game for the Cardinals.” The article mentions that Branch Rickey would trade Hornsby if he could get a batch of players. It also says that Hornsby wants to play in a bigger city in order to make more money. This almost has to be Charlie Weeghman shaking things up again.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: January 23, 2018 at 08:26 AM | 8 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: January 23, 2018 at 08:39 AM (#5611537)
Not a great Birthday Team today, but plenty of depth at relief pitcher and fun.

Distefano, of course, is the most recent left-handed catcher to play in the big leagues. Bevacqua is well-known for fun.

Stanford is a bit more obscure: He was undrafted out of college and made the Indians' rotation out of spring training as a 27-year-old in 2004. He allowed a total of one run in two starts that year before shredding his elbow. 39 months later, he finally made it back to the big leagues.

C: Raymond Haley (0.84 WAR)
1B: Erubiel Durazo (9.08 WAR)
2B: Addison Russell (10.04 WAR)
3B: Bill Regan (3.73 WAR)
SS: Chico Carrasquel (21.19 WAR)
LF: Ed Barney (0.77 WAR)
CF: Sam Jethroe (8.74 WAR)
RF: Charlie Spikes (0.38 WAR)

SP: Red Donahue (22.93 WAR)
SP: Frank Sullivan (20.47 WAR)
SP: Jeff Samardzija (12.35 WAR)
SP: Don Nottebart (9.35 WAR)
SP: Randy Gumpert (6.37 WAR)
RP: Bobby Burke (7.28 WAR)
RP: Juan Rincon (4.85 WAR)
RP: Mark Wohlers (4.12 WAR)
RP: Alan Embree (2.85 WAR)

Manager: Joey Amalfitano
Broadcaster: Jack Quinlan
Fun names: King Lear, Speed Walker, Cord Phelps, Cot Deal
Fun players: Jason Stanford, Benny Distefano, Kurt Bevacqua
Incredible tools but not much of a ballplayer: Wily Mo Pena (-1.17 WAR)
   2. Rennie's Tenet Posted: January 23, 2018 at 09:34 AM (#5611568)
The Chico Tracker is pleased to see Carrasquel back at short this season.
   3. Nasty Nate Posted: January 23, 2018 at 11:49 AM (#5611695)
1B: Erubiel Durazo (9.08 WAR)
If I recall correctly, he came into the on-deck circle as a would-be pinch-hitter in the Game 7 9th inning of the 2001 World Series, but they didn't end up using him.
RP: Alan Embree (2.85 WAR)
He induced the final out in the 2004 ALCS, but his really outstanding postseason was the prior year: 6 and 2/3 innings, allowing only 4 hits with no walks or runs. And some of those were really important outs at the time - including retiring none other than Mr. Durazo in Game 5 of the ALDS.
   4. Pasta-diving Jeter (jmac66) Posted: January 23, 2018 at 11:52 AM (#5611699)
Elsewhere on the same page of the News-Bee, it’s reported that “it is the common belief in baseball circles that Rogers Hornsby has played his last ball game for the Cardinals.

he played 9 more seasons for the Cards after that item was published
   5. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 23, 2018 at 12:47 PM (#5611736)
Stanford is a bit more obscure: He was undrafted out of college and made the Indians' rotation out of spring training as a 27-year-old in 2004. He allowed a total of one run in two starts that year before shredding his elbow.

That doesn't sound like much fun at all.
   6. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: January 23, 2018 at 01:56 PM (#5611795)
Well, that part's not much fun, but I like players who keep battling when things get rough.
   7. vortex of dissipation Posted: January 23, 2018 at 02:36 PM (#5611861)
I’d love to know what the Yankees were thinking. Plank was 42 years old and retired.

The interesting thing is that the deal went through, even though Plank stayed retired. The Yankees gave up five players to the Browns (including Urban Shocker, who would win 20 games for the Browns four times), and got just Del Pratt in return. Pratt was a very good player, but that seems a bit excessive. I can't see that there was any restructuring of the deal due to Plank's retirement.
   8. Batman Posted: January 23, 2018 at 03:33 PM (#5611951)
That News-Bee page also says that Jim Rice is putting together "an entire Oriental crew," except for possibly an Irish coxswain, for the Columbia crew team. It was probably the most feared crew team of its time.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Downtown Bookie
for his generous support.