Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, January 24, 2014

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 1-24-2014

Washington Times, August 24, 1914:

The refusal of one, August Lichtenberg, an amateur ball player of St. Louis, to adopt an Irish name cost him a trial with the Detroit Tigers. Jimmy Burke, one of Hughey Jennings’ scouts, was passing through the Mound City last summer in search of young talent when the work of Lichtenberg caught his eye.

Burke…offered Lichtenberg a contract, under the condition that he should take a short Irish handle like Kelly, O’Brien or Burke.

Lichtenberg refused to listen to such a proposition, and all negotiations were called off.

Must not have been that good a player. I’m pretty sure Babe Ruth and Walter Johnson would have played major league ball even if their names were Giannis Antetokounmpo and Prince Amukamara.

Still, that’s a pretty self-assured thing to do.

The Robby Hammock District (Dan Lee) Posted: January 24, 2014 at 07:42 AM | 10 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. The Robby Hammock District (Dan Lee) Posted: January 24, 2014 at 07:46 AM (#4645489)
If you like goofy names, you love today's Birthday Team.

Birthday Team:
C: Pinch Thomas
1B: Wally Judnich
2B: Neal Finn
3B: Dave Brain
SS: Stu Clarke
LF: Johnny Dickshot
CF: Cliff Heathcote
RF: Bunk Congalton

SP: Atlee Hammaker
SP: Flint Rhem
SP: Scott Kazmir
SP: Dick Stigman
SP: Neil Allen
RP: Rob Dibble
RP: Tim Stoddard

Owners: Jean Yawkey, Walter Haas
Announcer: Jack Brickhouse
Beneficiary of Nepotism: Mike Glavine
Fun Name: Pop Rising
   2. BDC Posted: January 24, 2014 at 09:19 AM (#4645503)
It is just amazing to go to B-Ref and be able to expand the pro career of Bunk Congalton to include the minor leagues. Not that I ever heard of Bunk Congalton before, for the excellent reason that he only played a couple of big-league seasons in the 1900s for some AL also-rans. But the guy played ball for 20 years in various high minor leagues, starting in Canada (he was from Guelph, Ontario). The very idea that the batting averages of the 1897 Guelph Maple Leafs are three clicks away is surreal.
   3. EddieA Posted: January 24, 2014 at 09:40 AM (#4645509)
Must not have been that good a player. I’m pretty sure Babe Ruth and Walter Johnson would have played major league ball even if their names were Giannis Antetokounmpo and Prince Amukamara.

Could be, but dislike of the name Lichtenberg could have been anti-German sentiment - might be a little early.

Atlee Hammaker and Tim Stoddard were both D-I college basketball players. Tim Stoddard started for the 1974 national champion NC State team. Atlee Hammaker quit basketball at East Tennessee State and concentrated on baseball because coach Sonny Smith left.
   4. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: January 24, 2014 at 10:18 AM (#4645526)
Tim Stoddard started for the 1974 national champion NC State team.

I wanted to hate that team so much because they beat the Walton** UCLA team, but I couldn't. How can you hate the team that invented the Alley Oop? That was a fun team with little Monte Towe, giant Tom Burleson and one of the great leapers in David Thompson.

** Walton is my favorite college player ever.
   5. WahooSam Posted: January 24, 2014 at 11:05 AM (#4645564)
IIRC, Dave Brain could not hit it but sure could pick it
   6. Davo Dozier Posted: January 24, 2014 at 11:11 AM (#4645570)
Undoubtedly the most amazing thing about that 1930 season for Flint was the famous “kidnapping,” which has gone down in baseball history. Apparently Gabby Street was not as successful as he hoped in helping Rhem. A wire service story, published in the Atlanta Constitution on September 19, 1930, tells the tale. “Rhem, who through his diamond career has never been celebrated as an ardent prohibitionist, failed to appear at the Cardinals’ local headquarters [before a game in Brooklyn] on Monday night. Last night, however, he returned and faced ‘Gabby’ Street, the manager. ‘Yes?’ said Street coldly. ‘Yes,’ mumbled Rhem. ‘Bandits. Guns. Kidnapping. They made me drink the awful stuff.’” Rhem’s claim was that two thugs had kidnapped him and taken him to a remote roadhouse. They were armed, and forced him to drink a large quantity of hard liquor. “‘And I am sorry to say that I got drunk. Imagine that happening to me! Of all people, me!...I was helpless, always in fear of my life.’”

Reading that, I can't help but think of the scene in North by Northwest with Cary Grant at the police station ("No, Mother, I have not been drinking. No. No. These two men, they poured a whole bottle of bourbon into me. No, they didn't give me a chaser.")
   7. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: January 24, 2014 at 01:27 PM (#4645690)
Freddy Garcia to the Braves
   8. Best Regards, President of Comfort, Esq. Posted: January 24, 2014 at 01:54 PM (#4645724)
   9. The Robby Hammock District (Dan Lee) Posted: January 24, 2014 at 02:07 PM (#4645743)
Well played, Mr. President. Well played.
   10. djrelays Posted: January 24, 2014 at 03:43 PM (#4645847)
Bad move by the 1914 Tigers. With an Irish double play combo they could have had a real life O'Brien to Ryan to Goldberg!

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Rough Carrigan
for his generous support.