Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, February 17, 2014

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 2-17-2014

Milwaukee Journal, February 17, 1914:

The great American institution of draw poker received a blow in the solar plexus in the south.

Shortly after the breakfast hour Manager Branch Rickey chanced to espy [sic] Pitchers Taylor, Hamilton and Baumgardner sitting in a 10-cent limit game. Forthwith Manager Rickey proceeded to the gaming table and ordered the game to stop.

“There will be no poker playing among the 1914 Browns,” said he. “I consider poker a really harmful game when played on a ball club. The stakes grow too large, the player sits up at night, unfitting himself for the ensuing day and to the poker table may be traced more than one wide-open split among players in the major leagues.

“I will have none of it among the Browns.”

The Mahatma led the Browns to a fifth-place finish in 1914, a 14-game improvement over their performance in 1913.

Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: February 17, 2014 at 06:48 AM | 9 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: branch rickey, dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: February 17, 2014 at 06:54 AM (#4657912)
Today's Birthday Team is solid in the starting rotation and at two-guard.

C: Eddie Phillips
1B: Wally Pipp
2B: Alan Wiggins
3B: Cody Ransom
SS: Joe Miller
LF: Josh Willingham
CF: Nemo Leibold
RF: Steve Evans

SP/Manager: Roger Craig
SP: Ed Brandt
SP: Stump Wiedman
SP: Dick Bosman
SP: Doyle Lade
RP: Scott Williamson

Pinch Hitter: Ike Boone
Coach: Rod Dedeaux
No Whammies, No Whammies, Stop: Whammy Douglas
Shooting Guard/Minor League Outfielder: Michael Jordan
   2. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: February 17, 2014 at 08:45 AM (#4657915)
unfitting himself for the ensuing day

Yep, did a lot of that in my youth.
   3. BDC Posted: February 17, 2014 at 11:05 AM (#4657966)
Ed Brandt was a star in one of my dice-baseball leagues. He had 99 career relief appearances to go with his 279 starts, and was a little more effective as a starter; but he struck out more batters as a reliever, so his chart was pretty effective. I made him a closer. He might have been most valuable in the 1970s as a fireman type. (He threw LH.) As it is, he clung to the Braves' pitching leaderboards for a long time, and can still be seen there as #10 in all-time Losses and Earned Runs. When the Braves left Boston, he was fifth in appearances for them, tenth in Wins, eleventh in strikeouts, and fourth (retrospectively) in Saves. They hadn't had a lot of star pitching between Kid Nichols and Spahn-&-Sain.
   4. esseff Posted: February 17, 2014 at 01:03 PM (#4658029)

Today's Birthday Team is solid in the starting rotation and at two-guard.

It even has depth behind Jordan if you allow the second baseman's offspring to play.
   5. Davo Dozier Posted: February 17, 2014 at 01:11 PM (#4658033)
Josh Willingham played 15 games behind the plate with the Marlins--he can move over to get Ike Boone's bat into the lineup.
   6. Good cripple hitter Posted: February 17, 2014 at 03:46 PM (#4658116)
CF: Nemo Leibold

AFAICT, he's the only member of the 1919 White Sox who played in another World Series. He went 1 for 19 in 1919, but he redeemed himself as a member of the 1924 Senators. In game 7 of that series he had a pinch-hit double in the top of the 8th and scored on Bucky Harris' famous pebble grounder.

He also got to the series in 25. He had a pinch-walk that led to the Sens rally to win game 3, and in game 5 in his final WS AB he had another pinch-hit double and scored.
   7. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: February 17, 2014 at 04:23 PM (#4658137)
I guess I'll not return to this site if I am offered a choice of allowing cookies in order to shut off ads and tracking.
   8. Davo Dozier Posted: February 17, 2014 at 04:41 PM (#4658147)
I have nowhere else to post this, but the ads for that erotic-themed Role-Playing-Game are soooo trash, they make this site borderline un-visit-able.
   9. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: February 17, 2014 at 07:30 PM (#4658223)
yeah, they're terrible.

rumor: baltimore to get ubaldo for 4/48.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Francis
for his generous support.