Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, February 17, 2017

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 2-17-2017

The Daily Missoulian, February 17, 1917:

[D.F.] McGowan is a member of the legal staff of District No. 1 of the United States Forest Service. He has devised a new method of determining the “standing of the clubs” and will presently submit it to the consideration of the baseball magnates.
[An excerpt from the McGowan Plan:] The playing season is to be divided into periods corresponding to calendar months. During each of these periods the relative standing of the clubs is to be computed as at present, by averages of games won and lost…The team with the highest average for a period is, in an eight-club league, to be credited with eight points. The second team is to be given seven; the third, six; the fourth and fifth, five; the sixth, seventh and eight, four each.

I’ve got a counterproposal: If you win a game, you get a point. If you lose, you get no points. At the end of the season, the team who won the largest percentage of possible points is awarded the pennant.

The entire McGowan Plan is printed on the linked page. It’s all kinds of crazy.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: February 17, 2017 at 09:58 AM | 7 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: crazytown bananapants, dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: February 17, 2017 at 10:01 AM (#5403615)
A middle-of-the-pack Birthday Team today. No massive weaknesses, but no big stars either. The top player, in terms of career WAR, is the immortal (?) Ed Brandt.

C: Eddie Phillips (1.13 WAR)
1B: Wally Pipp (31.44 WAR)
2B: Alan Wiggins (6.97 WAR)
3B: Cody Ransom (1.05 WAR)
SS: Joe Miller (1.76 WAR)
LF: Josh Willingham (18.4 WAR)
CF: Nemo Leibold (10.62 WAR)
RF: Steve Evans (15.1 WAR)

SP: Ed Brandt (32.12 WAR)
SP: Stump Weidman (15.61 WAR)
SP/Manager: Roger Craig (13.31 WAR)
SP: Dick Bosman (10.85 WAR)
SP: Doyle Lade (4.4 WAR)
RP: Scott Williamson (8.74 WAR)
RP: Danny Patterson (5.51 WAR)

Coach: Rod Dedeaux
Fun name: Whammy Douglas, Rivington Bisland
Not that one: Jim Bowie
Pinch hitter: Ike Boone
   2. crict Posted: February 17, 2017 at 10:18 AM (#5403633)
I don't hate the McGowan plan. Split-season is a (highly) simplified form.
   3. BDC Posted: February 17, 2017 at 10:26 AM (#5403644)
Wally Pipp, despite being a byword for "you snooze you lose," was still a pretty prominent player in the 1926-27 National League that I've been "following" lately. He got listed on an MVP ballot or two for batting .291 and driving in 99 runs for the 1926 Reds.

Brooklyn beat Chicago 6-5 at Ebbets Field on 17 August 1927. They did it with a wild comeback. The Cubs led 4-1 in the eighth, and Hal Carlson was cruising. With two out and two on, Babe Herman, in Uncle Robbie's doghouse much of the summer, came in to hit a three-run pinch homer. The Cubs went ahead again in the top of the ninth, and then the Robins scratched out some singles and reached-on-errors in the bottom of the inning (still off Carlson) till Bob Barrett ended the game with a walkoff RBI hit.

That game was the turning point of the Cubs' season. They started the day six games ahead of the pack. A story in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle speculated "RUTH AND GEHRIG VS. ROOT-CARLSON (the Cub's 1-2 starters) IN WORLD'S SERIES." The loss dropped the Cubs to five up and they would fall steadily, to end the season 8½ behind the champion Pirates.

Front-page news was the loss of aviatrix Mildred Doran and her crew, attempting to win the Dole Aerial Derby by flying from California to Hawaii. In lighter items, German matinee idol Conrad Veidt showed up in Hollywood to start shooting The Man Who Laughed, saying bluntly that Hollywood spent more money on films than anywhere else in the world and he was there to get some of it.
   4. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: February 17, 2017 at 10:29 AM (#5403649)
I don't even mind split season. The crazy part is that the last ten games of each month are more important than the other 20 or so, not to mention that there's very little difference between finishing fourth or eighth in any given month.

It seems like something the NHL would do.
   5. Dag Nabbit at ExactlyAsOld.com Posted: February 17, 2017 at 11:11 AM (#5403689)
Baseball star Alex Rodriguez is exactly as old as Clint Eastwood was the day Dirty Harry was released (15,181 days).

Baseball player Joe Mauer is exactly as old as Eric Garner was the day he was choked to death by NYPD (12,358 days).

Anyone who wants to can look up as-old-as stuff for themselves here.
   6. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: February 17, 2017 at 11:46 AM (#5403740)
I just booked my flight to SD for the WBC in March. My son is going to grab the 3 day ticket (Thurs/Fri/Sat night games) for us. Is anybody else going?
   7. crict Posted: February 17, 2017 at 12:49 PM (#5403827)
#4: I'll grant you that the last 10 days part is crazy. But I like the rest, probably because I teach the Borda count in one of my courses and the McGowan plan is similar. I agree that there's little difference in finishing fourth or eighth in a given month, and that's why his final-10-days madness is unnecessary. Teams would be fighting hard for 6th/7th place.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Mike Emeigh
for his generous support.