Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, March 10, 2014

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 3-10-2014

Pittsburgh Gazette Times, March 10, 1914:

[Newly-acquired Pittsburgh pitcher] Bob Harmon only has one grievance against the Cardinal management. “That is the fact that they wouldn’t give me a few hours off to get married,” laughed the violinst. “The ceremony was to be at 6. We were playing a double-header with the Browns in the city series and Sallee and I were to pitch the two games. I wanted to work in the first game and allow them to use Sal in the second, but they made me pitch the second. Believe me it took some hustling on my part to reach the scene of the wedding.”

“No, sorry, Bob, you can’t go to your wedding. We need you to pitch in an exhibition game.”

The Cardinal Way, circa 1910.

Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: March 10, 2014 at 07:54 AM | 16 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: bob harmon, cardinals, dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: March 10, 2014 at 08:01 AM (#4668912)
I'm trying to think of something nice to say about today's Birthday Team, but I'm drawing a blank. The outfield's pretty fast. The ace reliever is good. I met Mike Birkbeck at a card show once* and he seemed like a nice guy. And...that's about it.

C: Ben Davis
1B: Lew Whistler
2B: Gene DeMontreville
3B: Dayan Viciedo
SS: Donnie Murphy
LF: John Briggs
CF: John Cangelosi
RF: Tike Redman

SP: Wayne Twitchell
SP: Glenn Liebhardt the Elder
SP: Art Herring
SP: Mike Birkbeck
SP: Fred Johnson
RP: Mike Timlin

Fun Names: Darcy Fast, Judge Nagle, Dad Lytle

* - Yeah, I know, "Come meet Mike Birkbeck!" wasn't exactly the best way to get people to show up. Although, in the card show's defense, he was still something of a prospect at the time and the event was in the area where he (and I) grew up.
   2. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 10, 2014 at 09:56 AM (#4668934)
Mariners are interested in Viciedo. How many DHs can one team have?
   3. Davo's Favorite Tacos Are Moose Tacos Posted: March 10, 2014 at 10:11 AM (#4668940)
Heh. Well, last year, Raul Ibanez played 100 games in left field for them. Apparently, the Mariners see your fancy-schmancy defensive statistics and laugh derisively.
   4. What's the realistic upside, RMc? Posted: March 10, 2014 at 10:13 AM (#4668942)
“No, sorry, Bob, you can’t go to your wedding. We need you to pitch in an exhibition game.”

He shoulda her married at home plate, in between games.
   5. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 10, 2014 at 10:15 AM (#4668943)
You can't let a dame on a baseball field!
   6. SoSHially Unacceptable Posted: March 10, 2014 at 11:03 AM (#4668963)
laughed the violinst

Is this some 19 aughts term I'm not familiar with, or did Harmon play the fiddle as well as deliver the pill?
   7. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: March 10, 2014 at 11:17 AM (#4668968)
The last blurb reads:

Eddie Mensior was reviewing the violin renditions of Messrs. Mamaux, Kantlehner and Harmon. "I like Mamaux's playing because he plays what we all know," said Eddie thoughtfully, "but this guy Kantlehner plays all that classical stuff like 'Quo Vadis,' Shakespeare and 'Ben Hur.' I don't like it." Eddie is still trying to figure out why everyone laughed.

Eddie Mensior? The boxer from Racine, Wisconsin?

The whole link is a delight. It's a bunch of snippets from Pirates spring training in Kentucky.

"Al Mamaux, the Pirate Caruso"

"Hans Wagner is shuffling around making chums of the natives."

"Flame" Delhi is "one of the most ideally constructed men in baseball", but has a sore arm.
   8. bobm Posted: March 10, 2014 at 11:18 AM (#4668969)
http://www.amazon.com/Hickory-Bob-The-Harmon-Story/dp/1585974285

Hickory Bob: The Bob Harmon Story
by Richard E Cooper

Before the days of Stan "The Man" or Lou Brock or Bob Gibson, there was one of the most durable pitchers ever to wear a St. Louis Cardinal uniform. He was Missouri-born Bob Harmon. In 1911, "Hickory Bob" won 23 games and was the starting pitcher in 41. The 41 starts remains the Cardinal franchise record, likely never to be broken. This is the first biography of this dead ball era Cardinal star. His remarkable life from virtual orphan to baseball great to the heights of business success are all documented here, along with pages of vintage photographs.
   9. puck Posted: March 10, 2014 at 11:40 AM (#4668984)
I'm trying to think of something nice to say about today's Birthday Team, but I'm drawing a blank. The outfield's pretty fast. The ace reliever is good. I met Mike Birkbeck at a card show once* and he seemed like a nice guy. And...that's about it.

Is Cangelosi an announcer, or maybe there's another Cangelosi who is. I remember him as a short guy who drew walks.

Ben Davis: is his claim to fame angering Curt Schilling when he broke the unwritten rule and bunted to (try to?) break up a no-hitter?
   10. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 10, 2014 at 11:43 AM (#4668985)
I think Ben Davis is also known as a high draft pick bust, but yea, I think he was that guy.
   11. Rennie's Tenet Posted: March 10, 2014 at 11:49 AM (#4668988)
The 41 starts remains the Cardinal franchise record, likely never to be broken. This is the first biography of this dead ball era Cardinal star.

I guess this is since 1900. Jack Taylor had 39 starts in 1904, completed all of them. Dean won 30 in 33 starts in 1934 (Grove won his 31 in 30 starts in 1930).
   12. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 10, 2014 at 11:54 AM (#4668990)
Donnie Murphy was a Royals farmhand I championed in the early days of internet message boards. Together with Danny Tamayo, Andres Blanco, and Mike Stodolka, Allard Baird was going to lead the Royals back to prominence.
   13. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: March 10, 2014 at 11:59 AM (#4668997)
Mike Stodolka, the left-handed Colt Griffin! Who later became a hitter. And should have been called up to the majors in 2008 because it would have been a nice story.
   14. Rennie's Tenet Posted: March 10, 2014 at 12:03 PM (#4668998)
Is Cangelosi an announcer, or maybe there's another Cangelosi who is. I remember him as a short guy who drew walks.

Leyland had his ways: used to use Cangelosi as a pinch hitter when the Pirates really needed a baserunner, which meant he was often coming in cold against Rob Dibble or somebody. He got a ring with the Marlins and his career spanned 14 years.
   15. Davo's Favorite Tacos Are Moose Tacos Posted: March 10, 2014 at 02:50 PM (#4669096)
Ben Davis: is his claim to fame angering Curt Schilling when he broke the unwritten rule and bunted to (try to?) break up a no-hitter?

Part of me feels like he was on the cover of Baseball Weekly back when I was a subscriber (so, like, 1996ish?)
   16. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: March 10, 2014 at 10:11 PM (#4669290)
I'd be surprised if this interested even five readers here, but... trying to track down international amateur bonus info (for non-media/industry types) is tricky business, particularly for those getting under 100K (the point at which BA will report on you). So, you're left with BA, McDaniel at scout.com, the DPL and IPL sites/twitter feeds, some aggregators (soxprospects, a few Cubs and Cardinals sites, etc...), and vigilant Googling for clues.
Anyway, here's another piece: several years of bonus data for Colombia.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Ray (RDP)
for his generous support.